Macros virus on Macintosh - help save my files

Is there any software, free or otherwise that will actually save the
documents that have been infected with a macros virus? I have ran
clamxav and it "quarantines" them, but in the end I have to either
delete them or try and copy the contents into another document.  I need
to be able to "clean" these documents.  Can anyone help me?

Diana <diana.arends@mtayr.k12.ia.us> wrote:

> Is there any software, free or otherwise that will actually save the
> documents that have been infected with a macros virus? I have ran
> clamxav and it "quarantines" them, but in the end I have to either
> delete them or try and copy the contents into another document.  I need
> to be able to "clean" these documents.  Can anyone help me?

There are various antiviruses out there, but I wonder whether you could
save the files in RTF to eliminate the Macro that's causing you all the
trouble.
You could also open the files in TextEdit or Pages. Since these apps
can't do anything with the macros, they might be able to save as another
macro-free format and rescue some of the text (and that would avoid
launching Word at all and therefore limit the extend of what the virus
can do).

Corentin

--
      --- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone)  http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ ---
korventeen (753)

Yes, Word will do it.

In Preferences>Security>... Make sure "Warn before opening a file that
contains macros" is switched ON.

I suspect that the infection may have spread to your Normal template as
well.  That's easy to deal with, but it must be done first...

1)  Quit Word (not just minimised, it must be quit)

2)  Find your Normal template and re-name it (don't delete it...)

3)  Re-start Word and quit it again (that creates a new blank Normal
template).  Now you can delete the old one.

Then move the suspect documents to a folder and open them normally.  When
you see the Macro Warning, say "No" (which removes the virus code).

Copy the text and paste it into a new document.

That's all there is to it.

Cheers

On 8/12/06 8:28 AM, in article
1165526886.854462.290070@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com, "Diana"
<diana.arends@mtayr.k12.ia.us> wrote:

> Is there any software, free or otherwise that will actually save the
> documents that have been infected with a macros virus? I have ran
> clamxav and it "quarantines" them, but in the end I have to either
> delete them or try and copy the contents into another document.  I need
> to be able to "clean" these documents.  Can anyone help me?

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

0
john7143 (1072)
12/8/2006 11:07:39 AM
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] <john@mcghie.name> wrote:

> When
> you see the Macro Warning, say "No" (which removes the virus code).

Out of curiosity John, does it remove it or simply prevents it from
launching in this work session??
I hardly ever receive Word Docs with MacroViruses, so I never had a
chance to "play" with that.

Corentin

--
      --- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone)  http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ ---
korventeen (753)
12/8/2006 4:04:24 PM
Hi Corentin:

Macro Security prevents it from running.  Copy does not copy the VBA
container :-)

If you allow the macro to run, it will, of course, replicate to the current
template (usually: it's more difficult but not impossible to copy a macro
into the current document).

So when she opens the "macro-infected" document, chances are it's the Normal
Template file that actually contains the infection.  But not necessarily :-)

Cheers

On 9/12/06 3:04 AM, in article
1hq0u9i.1fhd56935263eN%korventeen@NoSpam.mvps.org, "Corentin Cras-M�neur"

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

0
john7143 (1072)
12/9/2006 3:37:34 AM
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!!

John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] wrote:
> Hi Corentin:
>
> Macro Security prevents it from running.  Copy does not copy the VBA
> container :-)
>
> If you allow the macro to run, it will, of course, replicate to the curre=
nt
> template (usually: it's more difficult but not impossible to copy a macro
> into the current document).
>
> So when she opens the "macro-infected" document, chances are it's the Nor=
mal
> Template file that actually contains the infection.  But not necessarily =
:-)

> Cheers
>
> On 9/12/06 3:04 AM, in article
> 1hq0u9i.1fhd56935263eN%korventeen@NoSpam.mvps.org, "Corentin Cras-M=E9neu=
r"
> <korventeen@NoSpam.mvps.org> wrote:
>
> > John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] <john@mcghie.name> wrote:
> >
> >> When
> >> you see the Macro Warning, say "No" (which removes the virus code).
> >

> > Out of curiosity John, does it remove it or simply prevents it from
> > launching in this work session??
> > I hardly ever receive Word Docs with MacroViruses, so I never had a
> > chance to "play" with that.
> >
> > Corentin
> >

> --
>
> Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
> me unless I ask you to.
>
> John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
> Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
> Technical Writer.
> Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] <john@mcghie.name> wrote:

> Hi Corentin:
>
> Macro Security prevents it from running.  Copy does not copy the VBA
> container :-)

That's what I tought, but your phrasing " When you see the Macro
Warning, say "No" (which removes the virus code)." made me wonder
whether there was a trick I didn't know about for a moment.

> If you allow the macro to run, it will, of course, replicate to the current
> template (usually: it's more difficult but not impossible to copy a macro
> into the current document).

Since recent announcements mentioned a flaw in the security in Word
(including in the Mac version), I thought that opening the files in
applications that can read WOrd format, but cannot run macro even if
they wanted to was a safe alternative :-)

> So when she opens the "macro-infected" document, chances are it's the Normal
> Template file that actually contains the infection.  But not necessarily :-)
>
> Cheers

My point precisely... :-\

Corentin

--
      --- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone)  http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ ---
korventeen (753)
12/11/2006 5:40:35 PM
What about removing all suspicious macros (modules) from infected files and
template? Could there be any trouble I cannot see now?

On 11.12.2006 18:40, in article
1hq6iu1.1j85aos1lbmj0cN%korventeen@NoSpam.mvps.org, "Corentin Cras-M�neur"

little_creature <littlecreature@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> What about removing all suspicious macros (modules) from infected files and
> template? Could there be any trouble I cannot see now?

No problem there. Deleting these macros is the way to go.
I'm just probably over-zealous when it comes to viruses and I don;t want
to take any chance :-)

Corentin

--
      --- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone)  http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ ---
korventeen (753)
12/12/2006 8:04:57 PM
Hi Little Creature:

The problem with that method is that if there *was* any malware in the file,
by the time you are able to view the macros in the file, it has already got
you :-)

Cheers

On 12/12/06 11:46 PM, in article
C1A46350.756E%littlecreature@discussions.microsoft.com, "little_creature"

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

0
john7143 (1072)
12/17/2006 7:25:09 AM
Hi Corentin:

On 12/12/06 4:40 AM, in article
1hq6iu1.1j85aos1lbmj0cN%korventeen@NoSpam.mvps.org, "Corentin Cras-M�neur"
<korventeen@NoSpam.mvps.org> wrote:

> That's what I tought, but your phrasing " When you see the Macro
> Warning, say "No" (which removes the virus code)." made me wonder
> whether there was a trick I didn't know about for a moment.

Yeah, that was careless phrasing.  As far as I know, if you "open" the file
with Macros disabled (by saying "No" to the Macro Warning...) the file
loaded into memory does not contain the macro code.

If you then SAVE what you opened, the copy in memory overwrites the copy on
disk and the macro code is permanently removed.

If the bad code is in the Normal template, unfortunately it will run anyway,
because the Normal template is in a "Trusted" location from which the Macro
Warning is suppressed.

So your original advice is much safer than mine :-)

Alternatively, the user should re-name the Normal Template and THEN open the
files with the macro warning enabled.  Since the suspect files are in a
non-trusted location, the macro warning will fire as normal.

Cheers

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

0
john7143 (1072)
12/17/2006 7:31:15 AM
On 12/17/06 2:31 AM, in article C1AB3D73.534DB%john@mcghie.name, "John
McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]" <john@mcghie.name> wrote:

> Hi Corentin:
>
> On 12/12/06 4:40 AM, in article
> 1hq6iu1.1j85aos1lbmj0cN%korventeen@NoSpam.mvps.org, "Corentin Cras-M�neur"
> <korventeen@NoSpam.mvps.org> wrote:
>
>> That's what I tought, but your phrasing " When you see the Macro
>> Warning, say "No" (which removes the virus code)." made me wonder
>> whether there was a trick I didn't know about for a moment.
>
> Yeah, that was careless phrasing.  As far as I know, if you "open" the file
> with Macros disabled (by saying "No" to the Macro Warning...) the file
> loaded into memory does not contain the macro code.
>
> If you then SAVE what you opened, the copy in memory overwrites the copy on
> disk and the macro code is permanently removed.
>
> If the bad code is in the Normal template, unfortunately it will run anyway,
> because the Normal template is in a "Trusted" location from which the Macro
> Warning is suppressed.
>
> So your original advice is much safer than mine :-)
>
> Alternatively, the user should re-name the Normal Template and THEN open the
> files with the macro warning enabled.  Since the suspect files are in a
> non-trusted location, the macro warning will fire as normal.
>
> Cheers

PMFJI, but maybe WORD is different than Excel. If you answer "disable" to
the macro warning message on an Excel workbook, it simply opens but does not
EXECUTE the macro code. The macro code is still present within the file,
however. If you then save this file in another place, or with another name
(or both) the code is still present. When you reopen the new file, the macro
code is still present and will run unless disabled again. So, for Excel,
saving a file that has been opened with macros disabled DOES NOT remove the
macros from the file.

--
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom

0
bob6686 (387)
12/18/2006 12:40:58 PM
I KNEW I shoulda tested this...

OK, Corentin and Bob are correct, I was wrong :-)

The Mac Word 2004 macro warning function offers the option to "Disable
Macros" or "Do Not Open".

If you select "Disable Macros" it works just the way it says: it disables
the macros and leaves them in the document.

If you then Save As, the macros are saved and will run next time you open
the document.

{Sigh}  I wish they wouldn't change things: I used to rely on that function
to "clean" documents...

Cheers

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

0
john7143 (1072)
12/19/2006 11:02:37 AM
John, Corentin or Bob,

Would one of you care to summarize the situation for people who are
concerned about how they should manage macro viruses such as this?  It would
make for much easier reference than criss-crossing through this thread.

Only if you have the time, of course.

Cheers,
Clive
=====

On 19/12/06 10:02 PM, in article C1AE11FD.536F5%john@mcghie.name, "John
McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]" <john@mcghie.name> wrote:

> I KNEW I shoulda tested this...
>
> OK, Corentin and Bob are correct, I was wrong :-)
>
> The Mac Word 2004 macro warning function offers the option to "Disable
> Macros" or "Do Not Open".
>
> If you select "Disable Macros" it works just the way it says: it disables
> the macros and leaves them in the document.
>
> If you then Save As, the macros are saved and will run next time you open
> the document.
>
> {Sigh}  I wish they wouldn't change things: I used to rely on that function
> to "clean" documents...
>
> Cheers
>

> On 18/12/06 11:40 PM, in article C1ABF68A.83ACF%bob@nospam.com, "Bob
> Greenblatt" <bob@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/17/06 2:31 AM, in article C1AB3D73.534DB%john@mcghie.name, "John
>> McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]" <john@mcghie.name> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Corentin:
>>>
>>> On 12/12/06 4:40 AM, in article
>>> 1hq6iu1.1j85aos1lbmj0cN%korventeen@NoSpam.mvps.org, "Corentin Cras-M�neur"

>>> Yeah, that was careless phrasing.  As far as I know, if you "open" the file
>>> with Macros disabled (by saying "No" to the Macro Warning...) the file
>>> loaded into memory does not contain the macro code.
>>>
>>> If you then SAVE what you opened, the copy in memory overwrites the copy on
>>> disk and the macro code is permanently removed.
>>>
>>> If the bad code is in the Normal template, unfortunately it will run anyway,
>>> because the Normal template is in a "Trusted" location from which the Macro
>>> Warning is suppressed.
>>>
>>> So your original advice is much safer than mine :-)
>>>
>>> Alternatively, the user should re-name the Normal Template and THEN open the
>>> files with the macro warning enabled.  Since the suspect files are in a
>>> non-trusted location, the macro warning will fire as normal.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>> PMFJI, but maybe WORD is different than Excel. If you answer "disable" to
>> the macro warning message on an Excel workbook, it simply opens but does not
>> EXECUTE the macro code. The macro code is still present within the file,
>> however. If you then save this file in another place, or with another name
>> (or both) the code is still present. When you reopen the new file, the macro
>> code is still present and will run unless disabled again. So, for Excel,
>> saving a file that has been opened with macros disabled DOES NOT remove the
>> macros from the file.

Hi Clive:

1)  Buy, run and keep updated an effective Internet Security Suite.

2)  Enjoy...

If you suspect that a document you have contains or may contain a virus:

A) make sure you place the document in a "non-trusted" location (e.g. Your
desktop).  The Macro Warning will not operate if the document is in your
User Templates or Workgroup Templates folder.

B)  Open the document.

C)  If you see the Macro Warning, click Disable

D)  If you saw the Macro Warning, save the document as HTML (Web Page).

E)  If you saved as HTML, close the original document and open the web page
version.

F)  Save that as a Word document.

HTML will not support macro code, so the virus will be stripped by this
process.

Cheers

On 20/12/06 7:22 AM, in article
C1AE952B.23277%REMOVETHISoffice@ANDTHISstrategists.com.au, "Clive Huggan"

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

0
john7143 (1072)

attach file to outlook email from web site
The below post was made a few years back and there were no responses. I am facing the exact situation at work. Outlook is the standard email application for all employees. My website is an internal site. There is a need to email attachments posted to our interanl site to external vendors. Is there a way to click link on a web page, and have Oultook open on the workstation with a PDF file attached? Thanks. From: pearcewg@my-deja.com (pearcewg@my-deja.com) Subject: attach file to outlook email from web site This is the only article in this thread View: Original Format Newsgroups: m...

this file extinsion appear .xls~RF16b309.TMP in the same folder
this file extinsion appear .xls~RF16b309.TMP in the same folder where i save my file.xls I believe that is a history file, where you track changes made. In your workbook you probably have track changes set. -- The Code Cage Team Regards, The Code Cage Team 'The Code Cage' (http://www.thecodecage.com) ------------------------------------------------------------------------ The Code Cage Team's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=2 View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=33675 I would look at the antivirus program that yo...

Please Help!!!!
i KNOW NOTHING ABOUT EXCEL, AND I AVE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT FOR TO LONG HOW IT WORKS, I JUST WANNA DO A SIMPLE TASK, I WANNA KNOW IF ITS POSSIBLE: I HAVE A BUNCH OF NUMBER FROM 0000 TO 9999 AND I WANT TO KNOW WHICH NUMBERS ARE NOT IN MY LIST. -- rosariocristina ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rosariocristina's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34004 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=537689 In A1 enter 0, in A2 enter 1 Use the mouse to select A1:A2 and drag the fill ...

Duplicate copies of the same file(song)
I opened my music library and noticed hundreds if not thousands of duplicate songs. Almost as if I copied the same cd to the library 4 times. How can I erase the duplicates without doing it manually one at a time. I have no Idea why there are so many duplicates! Please help! -- Annoyed Windows Media user! What version of WMP and Windows? To reset the media library, follow the instructions, specific for your WMP and Windows version, at http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#medialibrary Note that resetting the media library will make you lose all existing play counts, and possibly rat...

http://DuplicateFilesDeleter.com
http://DuplicateFilesDeleter.com - This software deletes duplicate files in media collection of any type 1. Quick search for file duplicates by their contents no matter what their file names are. 2. It is possible to find file duplicates only by file names. 3. Searching for duplicate music files (mp3) by an mp3 tag. It is possible to compare tracks by artist, name, album, year, comment, genre. Or by several tags at a time. 4. Searching for similar images. 5. Searching ZIP and RAR archives. 6. Searching for file duplicates in certain folders. It is also possible to specify folders that should ...

Need Help with Totaling
I'm not even sure how to explain this. I have a membership database in which I've created a form for the member's basic data-name, address, phone, etc. Within that form is a subform that shows where they have made donations, how much, the date of the donation, and if it were for anything specific---could be simple membership, end of year donation, river revelry participation.....various things. I have to create annual reports showing how much money we have taken in this year in membership donations. I have already writtent the query to pull this and created the report...

How do i print multiple document files without opening them?
How do i print multiple document files without opening them? I used to be able to highlight them and print them with no problem....office 2003 does not handle this well. Any help would be appreciated.........Don Hi what happens exactly for me as it works for me? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Don-Kinston" <Don-Kinston@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:823701A3-DF29-44CC-BA8F-768427DA671E@microsoft.com... > How do i print multiple document files without opening them? I used to be > able to highlight them and print them with no probl...

Button Caption help
Hi to all I require help for what maybe a simple problem. I have a form frmPettyCash and on the form are 3 buttons Cmd1, Cmd2 and Cmd3 which open the spending reports for 3 employees. There is a table tblEmployees with fields EmployeeID and EmployeeName with the 3 employee names. What I would like to do is link the EmployeeNames to the button caption ie Employee 1 to Cmd1.Caption, Employee2 to Cmd2.Caption etc. so that in the future if I change an employee name in the employee table the caption on the corresponding button will change also. Any help greatly appreciated. Than...

pdf changes to dat files when sending
Have changed from Outlook Express to Outlook and having problems with MYOB (accounting program). We send our invoices through MYOB (it does all the work - configures everything and then send it as an attachment) and it sends them in a .pdf format through the default email. Some people are getting .pdf files and others are having .dat files coming to them. Not sure why the .dat files are going (all should be .pdf) and how do I fix it so all are .pdf files ... any help .. I am desperate! Don't use rich text format for your message settings- try plain text or HTML. Shelley wrote: > Ha...

Pst password HELP............Please.!
Dear Friends, I had set a new password to my PST file last week, i am really unable to recall the password now. Can somebody help me to regain my PST password. THANKS IN ADVANCE Regards Thyagaraj Regain it, no. Change/remove it, maybe: http://www.msexchange.org/faq/ms_exchange_server_5_5_page1/#faq357 One of my users has forgotten the password of his personal folder. Is there any way out? The above is NOT supported and probably will NOT work on an Outlook 2003 Unicode file. Hal -- Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX http://www.kv...

Help! Balancing Accounts Error
Ok, so I've used Monday for years, going back to 1999. In every case, no issues balancing MS Money vs my paper statements. (I automatically download the transactions, then manually balance once a month to confirm.) Now, out of nowhere, my starting balance is off by $14.22. I know it was correct last month. So, I clear last month figuring that will get rid of the issue, but that $14.22 is still off. I went back about 6 months, nothing doing. I checked the balance manually and it all adds up! So, I can't put in an adjustment because I know it's correct. I did look to ...

Restoring .pst file/s
My hard drive crashed so a technician at PC World installed a new one. I have regularly backed up my data on a clickfree automatic backup over the past year so was confident that I could restore my pictures, documents, Outlook 2007 e-mails and address book. I have managed to restore m picture and documents but don't know how to restore my e-mails and address book. I've looked at "Backup and Restore How To Outlook" on the Microsoft website but it doesn't help me. I have managed to get the .pst files onto my PC from clickfree but don't know how to tran...

How can I create an xsd file out of a Dataset class file?
Hi all, I apologize for posting this question on two groups. I did not know which one out of "XML" and "ADONET" groups, should I post this. I would like to create an xsd file out of an existing dataset.cs file that can be visually manipulated in the VS.NET Dataset Designer wizard in VS.NET 2003 with .NET 1.1 and C#. Here is the issue in more detail: Using the wizard I can drag and drop tables on to the dataset designer surface, set relations between tables etc. Now, this wizard generates a typed DataSet class for me which is remarkable and beautiful. I love Visual St...

Retrieve embedded XML parts from .vbs file
Hi, In our project we have a large library of VB script (.vbs) files. Each file has 1 function. I want to document these functions, so a VB.NET application can retrieve the documentation and display it. I thought that the best way to do this is in XML. Since the files in the library have to remain VB script, the XML parts have to be preceded by VB script comment characters. Something in the line of this (vbscript example): ' <Header> ' <Author>Me</Author> ' <IntialVersion>2006-02-20</IntialVersion> ' <ShortDescription>This is function...

Need Help Exporting messages
Can anyone tell me how to export messages from one computers outlook express to another computers outlook express? I have a large number of emails that I just do not want to email to myself inorder to copy them onto another computer. Thank You, Mike I would create a folder in outlook express and put all the e-mails you want to keep, or you may have already done this. Then go to FILE / EXPORT / Messages then follow the directions and select the folder you wish to export and then copy it to a disk and move it to the other PC. There you will do the same but select import and then follo...

Please please help with this distribution list issue!!
I have a distribution list that I created - the list works when I type in each individual's email address separately in the "to" field. It also works when I send to each person separately. BUT when I try to use the list, only some of the addresses receive the message - others come back undeliverable host. I have deleted and recreated this list three times already, and still the same result. I have also totally deleted these addresses from Contacts, still doesn't work. HELP!!!!! ...

Problem Backing Up PST Files
Using the Backup Tool Plug-In, I want to change the destination to a non-C drive in my system (now called "E:\"). When I browse to and try to change the backup folder to the non-C drive location, I get an error message, "C:\Documents and Settings\[USERFILE]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook backup.pst ..." What gives? And C:\Documents and Settings\[USERFILE]\Local Settings\Application\Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook backup.pst Is the entire err msg? And if you simply type the location/file in the File location box? "Joooles_M...

remove "type question for help" in SBE
Hi, Anyone know how to remove the thing that says "type question for help" in Excel SBE? Thanks KB wrote: > Hi, > > Anyone know how to remove the thing that says "type question for help" > in Excel SBE? Thanks Never mind. I found it. Never fails that AFTER I ask, I find it. Thanks anyway. Here it is if anyone needs it: 1. On the Tools menu, click Customize. 2. On the menu bar, right-click the Type a question for help Question Box image box. 3. Select or deselect Show Ask A Question Box to show or hide it. Note If you are hiding the Type a...

EXCEL 2000 slow to open workbooks
EXCEL 2000 workbooks take about a minute to load and about 30 seconds to save. Files are 64.5MB and I have 128MB of RAM. Would a RAM upgrade - say to 256MB - increase performance? I have cleared the temp files but saw no improvement. Any suggestions on how to speed up? Hi Cheeselovee! Extract from: Charles Williams: http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimits.htm For Windows 2000 you need about 64MB for the operating system and 8-24MB for Excel so: a.. 72 MB RAM is OK for small workbooks. b.. 128 MB RAM is OK unless you need to open more than about 32MB of workbooks. c.. 196 MB RAM...

lookup help. lookup result based on data in 2 columns
Hi Wonder if you can help as i cant get my head around this. I have tried to use a combination of match, index, vlookup but just cant get the combination right, and now I am totally lost and even a basic vlookup isnt working I have a spreadsheet which contains a list of projects. Within this i have cells where you select a project size (s,m,l), enter a release month, then dependant on the combination of the 2 cells (project size and Rel month) the 3rd cell should display the relevant deadline date. Worksheet 1 contains a list of defined project sizes, release dates and deadline...

macro to insert row and type data
I have a worksheet that contains groups of data for different products for each month, which I update each month. The last row in each group of data contains a cell with the word "END" in it. I would like to use a macro to automatically search for the word END right through the worksheet, insert a row above the row with the word END in it and type the current month in the cell above the word END in the new row, thus putting it below the previous month. I don't have much experience in writing macros. I have been able to record a macro to add the row but I can'...

HowCanIselectAtextBoxIf theExcelFileIs saved in (group) format?
File is saved in Excel 2007 format. When I move the cursor over the text box the cursor turns into a circle with one slash running thru it. ...

Office 10.0 HELP!
All of a sudden, while in the middle of a project in an Excel spreadsheet, all of my office apps crashed and I can no longer open them! They start to open, the "beachball" spins and then they close and I get the error message that the application has quit and do I want to report it to Apple, yada yada yada. I repaired permissions and ran Disk Warrior and trashed all the Office apps, etc. I and AppCleaner could find, and reinstalled Office. It still won't work. I logged out of my user account and tried on another account and everything works so I'm fairly certain that the pro...

Excel 97 Bible : How to get the files
Hi All, I've just got my hands on John Walkenbach's book and would really like to download the files but I can find them on the IDG site. I know this is a fairly old version of Excel Rgds, Mark Try this link to Wiley (publisher changed since*):=20 http://tinyurl.com/62bcn *According to John's notes at his page: http://j-walk.com/ss/books/bookxl10.htm (Think the link provided by John there=20 doesn't work unfortunately. Maybe outdated. But the link provided above does work <g> ..) -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1=B0 22' N 103=B0 45' E xdemechanik <at>yah...

How Do I Add A Font File To Excel 2000?
I have a True Type file of Hazard Safety symbols (wingdings) that I would like to use on an Excel 2000 spreadsheet but I cannot figure out how to import the .TTF file to my Excel program. There SHOULD be a way to add new fonts to Excel, so can anyone help me out? I would appreciate it. Sincerely, Boyce Kline Boyce, You can't embed fonts in an Excel workbook. The font must exist on all computers on which the workbook will be opened. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "Boyce Kline&quo...