Is there a way to have a file automatically open a VBA macro on a PC but an AppleScript on a Mac?

Version: 2004
Processor: Intel

Is there a way to have a file automatically open a VBA macro on a PC but an AppleScript on a Mac? <br><br>TIA
0
Basilisk

--B_3346930099_5555855

On 1/21/10 12:59 PM, in article 59bb160c.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Basilisk@officeformac.com" <Basilisk@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Is
> there a way to have a file automatically open a VBA macro on a PC but an
> AppleScript on a Mac?
>
> TIA
Yes! The macro just needs to be platform sensitive and act accordingly.
Given that you are using 2004 this may not be necessary, as the macros
should work fine on both a Mac and PC.

--
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom

--B_3346930099_5555855

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Is there a way to have a file automatically open a VBA macro on =
a PC but an AppleScript on a Mac?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:10pt'>On 1/21/10 12:59 PM=
, in article <a href=3D"59bb160c.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0">59bb160c.-1@webcr=
ossing.JaKIaxP2ac0</a>, &quot;<a href=3D"Basilisk@officeformac.com">Basilisk@o=
fficeformac.com</a>&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"Basilisk@officeformac.com">Basilisk@o=
fficeformac.com</a>&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size=
:10pt'>Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: In=
tel Is there a way to have a file automatically open a VBA macro on a PC but=
 an AppleScript on a Mac? <BR>
<BR>
TIA<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-siz=
e:10pt'>Yes! The macro just needs to be platform sensitive and act according=
ly. Given that you are using 2004 this may not be necessary, as the macros s=
hould work fine on both a Mac and PC.<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN S=
TYLE=3D'font-size:9pt'><BR>
-- <BR>
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh<BR>
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom</SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SP=
AN STYLE=3D'font-size:10pt'><BR>
</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3346930099_5555855--

0
Bob
1/21/2010 7:48:19 PM
That's why we are still on 2004. But so far we haven't got any Macros from the files made on one of our PCs to work on the Mac. I suspect it may be to do with the filepath reference, which might also be causing another problem I posted about and which you have kindly responded to. <br><br>Where can I find how to make a macro platform sensitive, please?
0
Basilisk

--B_3347019199_10936596

On 1/21/10 3:19 PM, in article 59bb160c.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Basilisk@officeformac.com" <Basilisk@officeformac.com> wrote:

> That's why we are still on 2004. But so far we haven't got any Macros from the
> files made on one of our PCs to work on the Mac. I suspect it may be to do
> with the filepath reference, which might also be causing another problem I
> posted about and which you have kindly responded to.
>
> Where can I find how to make a macro platform sensitive, please?
You�ll have to check out some of the Excel macro texts. The VBA statement
application.operatingsystem returns a string that shows the OS and version.
You code will have to test this and issue the appropriate instructions based
on the platform. Alternatively you could use conditional assembly to only
include the proper code for the platform.

--
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom

--B_3347019199_10936596

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Is there a way to have a file automatically open a VBA macro on =
a PC but an AppleScript on a Mac?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:10pt'>On 1/21/10 3:19 PM,=
 in article <a href=3D"59bb160c.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0">59bb160c.1@webcross=
ing.JaKIaxP2ac0</a>, &quot;<a href=3D"Basilisk@officeformac.com">Basilisk@offi=
ceformac.com</a>&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"Basilisk@officeformac.com">Basilisk@offi=
ceformac.com</a>&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size=
:10pt'>That's why we are still on 2004. But so far we haven't got any Macros=
 from the files made on one of our PCs to work on the Mac. I suspect it may =
be to do with the filepath reference, which might also be causing another pr=
oblem I posted about and which you have kindly responded to. <BR>
<BR>
Where can I find how to make a macro platform sensitive, please?<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-siz=
e:10pt'>You&#8217;ll have to check out some of the Excel macro texts. The VB=
A statement application.operatingsystem returns a string that shows the OS a=
nd version. You code will have to test this and issue the appropriate instru=
ctions based on the platform. Alternatively you could use conditional assemb=
ly to only include the proper code for the platform.<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN S=
TYLE=3D'font-size:9pt'><BR>
-- <BR>
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh<BR>
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom</SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SP=
AN STYLE=3D'font-size:10pt'><BR>
</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3347019199_10936596--

0
Bob

file will not save
One of my excel files will not save. it seems to work ok, but when i try to save it, i get a "document not saved" message. the file cannot be closed unless i agree not to try to save it. any ideas why i cannot save this file? #1. Are you working off a floppy? If yes, then don't do this. Use windows explorer to copy from floppy to harddrive and work from there (and save there). Then use windows explorer to copy back to floppy. #2. You're saving to a location that you don't have permission to save to. #3. Your diskdrive is out of space??? missionary wrote...

Missing File Day 3 No resolution ?
No. Is this file something that can be sent to me? -----Original Message----- From: "Diane Poremsky" <info@cdolive.com> Sent: 4/12/2004 8:15:04 PM Subject: Re: Missing file still.... did you have different versions or suites of office installed? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "Kyle" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

Slow VBA macro
Every time the following code runs and it reaches a blank cell it takes 2-3 seconds to update the cell with a zero: Do Until ActiveCell.Offset(1, -3) = "" ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Range("A1").Select Select Case ActiveCell Case Is = "" Selection.FormulaR1C1 = 0 End Select Loop I've tried Application.ScreenUpdating = False but the macro is still very slow. Any suggestions as to ho...

Access denied opening XML attachment
A user on my network cannot open an xml attachment in Outlook 2003. It works fine in previous versions. It says "access denied. Error processing resource." If the file is saved to a drive, then it opens without a problem. Is there some security configuration that would cause this behavior? I have tested on multiple machines and multiple users to rule out profile or other causes. I have also checked security on the tmp folder the file is trying to open from. Any insight would be helpful. -Paul ...

Switching between multiple open windows
I ran across an option to change how to switch between multiple open windows on my desktop. It was an option to choose between hovering over a window or clicking on it. Thinking that only having to hover over a window to switch to it would save time, I selecting the option to hover... big mistake as it just became a big pain in the a_ _ for me. Now I would like to change back to one-clicking to change between viewed windows but can't remember or find where the option is located. Any help will be appreciated. -- rushl On 2/03/10, rushl posted: > I ran across an opti...

Word Doc Macro help needed please!
I need to make a mocro that will work in a word doc. This macro would start with [000001] and count up one number each paragraph. For example paragraph two would auto show [000002] and so on. Any help would be GREAT! I have a word file which contains 100 pages. All the pages have name & address of companies.(not in table) i have to transfer them to excel in column format(for example first name, last name, address, phone etc) can any one tell me code for this( i know how to open word & creat new excel sheet) . I need code for how to reach to lines of word. r there any thing like &quo...

Is there a way to convert a EXCEL form into a WORD form?
Users: I have an existing form created by someone else, I would like to convert it to a WORD document form and make some changes. I need the individual cells to be meraged and the text box flyout to me drop-downs. Is it possible to do this without having to re-create the form in WORD. Thanks Why don't you do what you want to do in the existing Excel form? Excel is far better and easier to use to design forms. Merging the cells in Excel is done with the click of the mouse. I don't understand the "text box flyout to me drop-downs", but Excel does have drop downs, ...

open subfolders automatically on mail entry -- not happening.
Hello all. Have a problem that happens in one Outlook 2002, but not another -- so I know there's a likely setting someplace, but can't find it. I've even stumped my company's IT people on this one: I download mail through several rules (and accounts); and ship them to various subfolders off of parent folders. What I desire is to have the email automatically open the appropriate folder -- revealing the affected subfolder -- when new mail comes into it. In one of my Outlooks (both 2002), this does open automatically revealing the new highlighted message. But the other do...

Cannot open Money Deluxe 2007
New laptop, successfully using Money, then now I cannot open it. Windows keeps shutting it down. Tried running as admin. Tried uninstalling, then reinstalling. Help! -- Karen In microsoft.public.money, Karen wrote: >New laptop, successfully using Money, then now I cannot open it. Windows >keeps shutting it down. Tried running as admin. Tried uninstalling, then >reinstalling. Help! What OS? Is there an error message? Were you successfully using Money on that new laptop? Did the problem occur recently? You might want to consider a system restore point from before the pr...

ProbleM: when I restore a mailbox using Exmerge with a pst file, nothing is transferred.
Hi, I am practising Exmerge for a big remote site migration in a couple of weeks. One thing I dont understand is that I can backup one test mailbox fine using Exmerge (I know this works, as I have opened the mailbox pst file within outlook and everything is there), but when I perform the restore using the pst file, nothing happens. There is no error messages, and Emerge goes through the motions (though it finishes supsiciously quick), but when I open the mailbox, no emails have been restored. Although it is great that Exmerge is working for the backup part of the stage, I am disappointed it i...

Reboots when opening Word documents in Outlook 2000
Whenever I try to open a Word document in Outlook 2000, my computer reboots. This just started happening. I have reloaded Office 2000, done virus scans and checked my pc with Spybot. Nothing has been identified. Any ideas? ...

Unable to open the outlook window.
I just downloaded Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 to my computer. When I try to open Outlook, the window opens for about 2 seconds and then closes automatically. I received an error message: "cannot start microsoft office outlook. unable to open the outlok window. the server is not available. contact your system administrator if this problem persist." I'm have home based computer and don't have an administrator. Can anyone help? Did you create a profile with settings (email account, POP3 and SMPT server names, etc.) for Outlook to use? -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Ti...

Importing ofx file
I'm using Money 2004 Premium and I was downloading my bank account information in ofx format directly in Money; recently this stopped working and I have to manually import the file into money. Not a big deal, but an annoyance just the same. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a fix for this? tia dennisd In message <QK3kl.3776$rt3.617@newsfe15.iad>, dennis <djd@home.net> writes >I'm using Money 2004 Premium and I was downloading my bank account >information in ofx format directly in Money; recently this stopped working >and I have to manually import the fi...

cannot open Outlook
When I try to open Outlook 97 I get the following error: Mapisp32 This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. Registers: EAX=00000000 CS=015f EIP=bff7b997 EFLGS=00000246 EBX=00000000 SS=0167 ESP=0063f8d0 EBP=0063fab8 ECX=c14eb7f0 DS=0167 ESI=0063fd58 FS=5217 EDX=bffc9490 ES=0167 EDI=0063fd58 GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: ff 76 04 e8 26 89 ff ff 5e c2 04 00 56 8b 74 24 Stack dump: 0063fb10 7c6b2593 0063fd58 85762034 0063fb10 7c6b2484 0063fb10 85762034 85762278 85762278 7c6a7881 0063fb10 0063fb10 0063fb24 00000000 00000000 ...

error when opening .accdb file
I don't think this is a new issue but I can't seem to find the resolution... I get an error when opening my Access 2007 formatted database stating that the file could not be found, though at the same time the file opens successfully. -- Error is intermittent. On occasions where the error does not occur, the file opens normally (I have never had an occasion where the file did not open at all) -- I have only seen the error happen when I have a 'Display Form' set in the Application Options for the 'Current Database' -- The database contains macros, VBA m...

Outlook not opening #2
I recently installed Outlook. When I try to open it, I get the error message "Outlook requires Outlook Express 4.01 or greater". I do have OE 5.0 installed. Why am I getting this error? ...

Outlook Opens looking for Exchange Server
A computer club member wishes to used Outlook so that she can sync with her Palm. Environment: Windows XP Pro SP2, IE 7, Windows Genuine Advantage installed. Symptom One: When Outlook is opened, the program is looking for Exchange Server. She is using a laptop with no exchange server available. Symptom Two: When performing Office Update, three items did not install all with error code 0x8024402C: 1. Update for Outlook Junk Mail (KB943591) 2. Office 2003 update SP3 3. Security Update for CAPICOM (KB931906) I suspicion that Office 2003 is a 60 day trial that has never been activated. Are ...

Slow Open/Save over Network Connection
My client has an Apple XServe located in a "co-location" server farm which is providing very fast and reliable network speeds (10 mbps DL, 11 mbps UL). His office location is using AT&T DSL with DL speeds around 3.5 mbps. The directory that sits on the XServe is shared over the internet so my client can access it from multiple locations. Most of the documents are MS Word files. They are using Intel based iMacs with the latest versions of MS Office 2008. The problem my client is facing is the horrible speeds of opening, saving, and closing Office 2008 files. It could take up...

Using Word 2003 in Vista: Opening dictionary shuts down Word
This is a problem in Vista; it did not occur when I used Word 2003 in XP. Whenever I try to open the dictionary in Word 2003, either by clicking its icon, or hitting Alt+click over a word, Word shuts down. Vista Business, Service Pack 2 Thinkpad T400, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 3GB RAM ...

Windows XP Shared PC
We are using Outlook 2000. The PC, which already had Microsoft Office 2000 loaded on it, was upgraded from Win 98 to Win XP. I then created Windows XP logons for all four people that will be sharing this PC. When I did, the Outlook shortcut automatically ended up on the desktop of each person when they individually logged in. When I clicked the shortcut the first time I went in to each person's desktop, I setup the mail account for JUST THAT PERSON. And when I go back and log into each person's desktop it still shows ONLY THEIR ACCOUNT. However, whatever mail they receive ALS...

Old emails not displayed (Multiple PC's using same inbox)
I have 2 machines running XP and Outlook 2000. Both mahcines are setup to using the same Exchange Server email account. When i open outlook in one machine all mail are visable is the inbox, and new mail is received correctly. But if i opne Outlook on the second machine my inbox is empty. Any new mails will appear quickly then disappear. I cannot get the second machine to display old emails. If I leave the first machine off, all new mail will stay in the second machines inbox, but if I open outlook on the second machine all mail disappears and is shown in the first machines inbox. A...

Shared workbook and VBA problem
Shared workbook and VBA problem Hi Group, I am new at this Excel stuff and I am hitting my head on a silly problem that I am sure many have seen before. I wrote a very simple spreadsheet where I use the Calendar control to pick some dates. Everything was fine until I decided that I needed to share it on the network with other users. As soon as I share it the calendar control stops working. I get a "runtime error 1004, unable to set left property of oleobject class". That's because the first thing I try to do is position the calendar. If I don't do that, it still doesn't...

Help!! Way to find users sending email to large amount of receipients.
Could some one tell me if there is a way in Exchange 2003 to find out what users are sending email to a large amount of recipients? I'm having some serious performance issues and I'm sure it's some one sending email to a large amount of recipients. Thanks, Will ...

Default Folder for PST files?
I have a slightly different question relating to the above: I already have my current & archive pst files stored in my own personal folders. When I want to open my archive folder I right-click Outlook Today & select 'Open Outlook Data File'. Everytime, Outlook defaults to its own path (Documents & Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\) This is really annoying & I would like it to default to opening a customised path, such as C:\Mail\ Any suggestions? -- Cheers, James Goodman Hi James, if you want to displace your pst file, please ...

VBA & Excel
Hi, I don't know a lot about VBA. I need to make an Exe file with VB to give 3 buttons each button starts an excel work book (book1, book2,book3). I am thinking of a form that appears on the screen. When the "Exit" button is cliked it will make an other copy of the 3 excel files on another folder (say: d:\data) for example (like a back up copy). Can any one help thanks Hi You can not make exe files with VBA. If you can use VB5 or VB6 instead then adapt the VBA code from http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/index.php?d=envbaolecontrolexcel see also http://www.erlandsendata...