Installation of both Office 2004 and Office 2008 on the same computer

I currently own Office 2004 and do not want to lose the VBA functionality. At the same time, the new format available in Office 2008 along with the fact that it runs natively on Intel Macs is appealing. If I purchase Office 2008 for Mac, can I have both versions installed on the same Mac? I don't want to give up the VBA functionality, especially the Analysis Toolpak and Solver.
0
kk82 (1)

In article <ee8c022.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, kk@officeformac.com
wrote:

> I currently own Office 2004 and do not want to lose the VBA functionality. At
> the same time, the new format available in Office 2008 along with the fact
> that it runs natively on Intel Macs is appealing. If I purchase Office 2008
> for Mac, can I have both versions installed on the same Mac? I don't want to
> give up the VBA functionality, especially the Analysis Toolpak and Solver.

There's no problem running both Office 2004 and 2008 together, at least
for XL, Word and PPt.

I would strongly suggest using one version of Entourage only, though -
much less confusing to you and to your system.

Since Entourage doesn't have any VBA capability anyway, this shouldn't
be a significant limitation.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
2/4/2008 5:40:00 PM
what is VBA?
0
Axis1 (2)
3/4/2008 5:06:51 PM
Visual Basic for Applications, the scripting compiler/interpreter/runtime
that enables cross-platform macros in Word/Excel/PowerPoint.

Cheers

On 5/03/08 4:06 AM, in article ee8c022.1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Axis@officeformac.com" <Axis@officeformac.com> wrote:

> what is VBA?

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Sydney, Australia.  S33�53'34.20 E151�14'54.50

0
john7143 (1072)
3/5/2008 12:19:46 AM
> There's no problem running both Office 2004 and 2008 together, at least
> for XL, Word and PPt.
>
> I would strongly suggest using one version of Entourage only, though -
> much less confusing to you and to your system.

For those who want to stick with 2004 (at least for a while) as their default, is there a way to make sure the system opens the 04 version of Word when a .doc document is double-clicked? Even if you try the "open with" command in the Get Info box and choose it for all docs of that type, you can still get the 08 version opening.
0
dbf73 (1)
3/27/2008 8:31:16 PM
On 3/27/08 4:31 PM, in article ee8c022.3@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"dbf73@officeformac.com" <dbf73@officeformac.com> wrote:

>> There's no problem running both Office 2004 and 2008 together, at least
>> for XL, Word and PPt.
>>
>> I would strongly suggest using one version of Entourage only, though -
>> much less confusing to you and to your system.
>
> For those who want to stick with 2004 (at least for a while) as their default,
> is there a way to make sure the system opens the 04 version of Word when a
> .doc document is double-clicked? Even if you try the "open with" command in
> the Get Info box and choose it for all docs of that type, you can still get
> the 08 version opening.
Unfortunately, the Office 2008 apps keep resetting themselves as the default
application. This supposedly will be fixed in a future update, but no
telling when. Meanwhile you'll just have to put up with this.

--
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom

0
bob6686 (387)
3/28/2008 12:00:34 PM
This is apparently "by design".  See this post from John McGhie:
http://snipurl.com/229d9

On 3/27/08 3:31 PM, in article ee8c022.3@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,

--
Mickey Stevens (Microsoft MVP for Office:mac)
Office & Mac Resources: <http://home.earthlink.net/~mickey.stevens/>

XP in Windows 2008 R2 AD
Hi, I want to install and configure the Windows 2008 R2, whith Domain and Forest Level in Windows 2008 R2. My workstations are Windows XP 3. Is there any pre-requisite to join Windows XP in Windows 2008 R2 Domain? Thanks. Luiz Hello Luiz, No, they should work in the domain as in previous ones. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm > Hi, > > I wan...

Office 2003 Toolbars
I was having a problem in Office XP with links to other spreadsheets. Every time I clicked a link and opened another spreadsheet, the Web and Review toolbars would open. I inserted the follwoing code in each Workbook and it solved the problem: Sub Workbook_Open() ' Hide the "Web" and "Reviewing" Toolbars/Commandbars Application.CommandBars("Web").Visible = False Application.CommandBars("Reviewing").Visible = False End Sub I have now upgraded to Office 2003 and the Web toolbar still opens, even though the code is there. Any ide...

Sync Outlook with two computers
I need to sync all the stuff I have in Outlook on my desktop with Outlook on my laptop. Everything except the emails. That's not important. Calendar, Contacts, Notes, etc. is mainly what I need the most. I've tried but I can't do that. How do I do that? I usually need to do this at least once a week. Thanks J Take a look here, it may help: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious ...

Windows 7 / Office 2007
Hi, Does anybody know which updates in Windows 7 that "screws" up macro-enabled spreadsheets in Office 2007 (Enterprise)? On Windows Vista the update was called KB973593, but I can't find this update on my system. So what's the equivalent update on Windows 7? Can someone help me out here? Anders ...

Excel 2003
When I upgraded from Office 2000 to 2003, the Office Shortcut bar disappeared. How do I get it to load at bootup? -- PT ...

How do I change default font for all new comments in Office 2003?
I just installed Office 2003 and transfered excel files from the older version. The comments that I had created before I moved to 2003 look fine in the default font (Tahoma); however, when I try to insert a new comment, the same font (same size, same formatting) the text looks virtually unreadable. I changed font in some comments and they look much better, but it is extremely inefficient to try to change font in every new comment I insert, so I thought maybe there is a way to do it on a default basis. Or maybe I somehow could change something to make Tahoma appear readable. Please, assi...

My mouse remains inactive when I "wake up" the computer.
When I try to use the computer (Windows 7) after a "sleep" or hibernation period, I can move the mouse about the screen, but the pointer is inactive and I cannnot press a button, for example. I have to do "control-alternate-delete" to awaken the computer, and on the screen that appears, I click on windows task manager. Once this is done, the mouse becomes active again. Is there a faster, more convenient way to re-activate the mouse after a period of inactivity?? In article <4F00B233-4464-49CC-AE55-76C3F27FB381@microsoft.com>, ah <ah@discu...

Sample CRM Data Install Issue
Installed test version of CRM fine running as a web site on its own IP address. Try to run the sampledata wizard on CD1 but it fails at the first dialouge - enter the address of your crm server. Mine is running locally on 192.168.0.91 - accessible fine thnrough a browser - so I enter this and get back an error message saying crm server not found or not got sufficient priviledges to do this. Am logged on as Administrator account? Any advice on what needs to change to make the wizard work? Thank you Roger ...

upgrade from Money 2002 to 2004
I'm looking to upgrade from 2002 to 2004 - are there any problems/issues I should be aware of? Thanks. Some files have problems upgrading for reasons unknown. "H Barker" <hmbarker@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Oow153Z1DHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I'm looking to upgrade from 2002 to 2004 - are there any problems/issues I > should be aware of? no "H Barker" <hmbarker@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Oow153Z1DHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I'm looking to upgrade from 2002 to 2004 - are there any problems/issues I > shoul...

Upgrading to 2008, cannot transfer old identity
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Installed 2008 on a MacBook Pro. Office Setup Assistant found two previous identities - the main identity, and a backup (from a previous database rebuild). I checked the box next to the main identity and selected to transfer it. However, nothing happens, and the setup assistant continues to ask me which identity I want to transfer. I tried checking the backup identity, also, and it transfers over (it turns gray on completion), but I cannot get the main identity to transfer. On 10/13/09 11:18 AM, in article 59b7e851.-1@w...

Can't open Office programs on two computers at the same time
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I purchased Microsoft Office 2004 for mac several years ago and installed it on my MacBook. <br><br>Recently I purchased a new computer (a MacBook Pro) and transferred the software over, leaving a copy on my old computer for my wife to use. Both computers are connected to the same wireless network in our home. <br><br>Here's my problem: if one of us is using any of the Office suite programs (ex. Word) and the other tries to open that or any other program (ex. Excel, Power Point), no...

CRM 3.0 Desktop Client Install and SBS Monitoring Error
I am working on the client installs for CRM SB on SBS 2003. Despite helpful assistance from this NG I have reached the point of calling Microsoft on one of my notebook installs. Before calling them, I thought I should attempt to get as many client installs completed as possible then look to get all my unresolved issues answered simulataneously. To date, I have 2 notebook installs complete and working and the 1 notebook install that is awaiting my MS call. In SBS, all but the users have been setup using the Power User template except my own, which used the Administrator template. To red...

"Out of Office" Missing from toolbar in Outlook 2007
Just noticed this today. Looking for guidance. Are you using an Exchange account? Also see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/374 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Maurice" <Maurice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C16106D3-342C-42F1-B440-FC8842EC4BB5@microsoft.com... > Just noticed this today. Looking for guidance. Just to clarify,...

HR version number not updating after installing SP
Hello, We upgraded Great Plains & Human resources to 8.0 & also installed SP2. After the SP2, The Great Plains version number has properly updated to 8.00g34 but the HR version still says 8.00.7 instead of 8.00.10 on the server & other wrkstations. This was not a problem. The HR modified reports all upgraded fine & all workstations are able to run the modified HR reports except one wrkstn. This one wrkstn. has properly updated the HR version number to 8.00.10. When we try to run an HR report from this wrkstn, it says that the dictionary is not found. The reports need to ...

missing installation files
After installing the MSN premier software with verizon dsl, outlook stopped working. I can't check email, I can't modify my email accounts and doing the detect and repair option from the help menu leads to an error message that says that the patch installation files or the source file is missing. I've tried reinstalling and doing a repair from the CD but I get a similar message saying that the installation files are missing. I also tried to download the latest office updates, but I get an error message saying the same thing: "installation files (.msp) are missing......

how do I switch identities using office 2003?
I just upgraded to Microsoft Outlook 2003, and I can't find my second email account. How do I switch identities? I went from outlook 6 to microsoft office outlook 2003. Outlook doesn't support that OE feature. Use separate Windows accounts or multiple Outlook Profiles. You can configure Outlook Profiles via the Mail icon in Control panel. "Darcy" <Darcy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2A78D812-9EA7-4C89-9D20-2076B135CC16@microsoft.com... >I just upgraded to Microsoft Outlook 2003, and I can't find my second email > account. How do I s...

How do I convert Outlook from 2000 to 2003 on a new computer?

cANNOT INSTALL M-Money 2004
When I try to install Money 2004, or remove Money 2003 I am told I must insert the 2003 disk. I can not find it, how can I install the 2004 version? Thanks, Bob Lalor ...

Cannot Read Saved Document from Works From Other Computer
I am trying to save Microsoft Works documents from my one computer which has a Windows ME operating system onto a disc that I can open on another computer which has a Windows XP operating system. When I try to open the files, I get an error message stating that Works cannot open the file, that it may be in use by another application, the file format may not be supported by any of the installation converters, or the file may be corrupt. I have tried renaming the file but this doesn't work. The file extension is already a .wps one so I don't think there is any conflict with the...

2008 backup vs 2008R2 backup
Hi Windows backup for 2008 seems to be different from 2008R2. In 2008 I cannot select which folders/files I want to backup (in R2 I can) Is it just the GUI that is better in R2? Can I somehow with through commands or powershell exclude a folder in 2008 backup or do I always have to backup the whole volume? Tomppa Hello Tomppa, This is a change with Windows server 2008 R2. You can't exclude folders with Windows server 2008 backup. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ** Pleas...

SBS 2008 Server Not Updating Properly
I am running Windows update an SBS 2008 box. The machine seems to download and install 39 updates, then it fails with the message: Some updated were not installed Restart now to finish installing updates. Succeded: 1 update Failed: 38 updates Error(s) found: Code 80070718 Windows update encountered an unknown error. Code 643 Windows update encountered an unknown error. I started with needing 43 updates, and each time it installs only 1. If I run it again, it will probably install 1 and tell me it failed to install 37 others. Please help. Thanks! ...

exchange install & Terminal Services
When I built up my Exchange Server, I didn't realise I was running Terminal Services in Application Mode. I now want to change the Terminal Services to Remote Administration Mode. Microsoft has a warning: "After you choose your mode of operation, changing or disabling the Terminal Services mode may cause programs not to work, requiring a reinstallation of the programs." I'm scared that if I change modes, then I'll have trouble with my Exchange installation. Can anybody reassure me that Exchange will function correctly after changing TS modes? Is there anything I need ...

SmartList Builder install
We are on GP 8, SP5. When we installed SP5 we were not ready to install SLB. Now we want to install it. I have put it on the server with no problem and it works there. How do I get it on the workstations? Install the same chunk file on all workstations! -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "inin" wrote: > We are on GP 8, SP5. When we installed SP5 we were not ready to install SLB. > Now we want to install it. I have...

Using Access 97 and Access 2003 on same computer
Access 2003 gives me a "Microsoft Visual Basic" dialog "Object library not registered". Clicking help gets me Access 2003's help file which says to reregister the application. I have a standalone version of Access 97 that I've been using for years. Last year I installed Office 2003 Professional, but kept Access 97 and have been using Access 97 ever since. My husband also has Visual Studio .NET 2003 installed on our computer. Now I want to use Access 2003 for a new database (and VBA), but keep Access 97 for my old ones. (I don't have the time to ...

Error Installing Service Pack 2 on Exchange 2003
Hi I am installing Service pack 2 and am receiving an error half way through. The error is to do with Active Sync which is exactly what I want the service pack for. During the installation an error appears saying Run Time error file c:\windows\system32\MsiExec.exe has failed to load properly (or something very similar). Click OK and a second error comes up saying the sub component Active Sync cannot be installed with error 0xC0070643. Cancel or Retry. If I cancel it the rest of the installation goes through fine. I am presuming this is stopping me enabling a mobile phone PDA device ...