Insert Picture fails repeatedly in Word 2008 when working with labels

Version: 2008
Processor: intel

When trying to insert a picture (.tif, .jpg, .gif) into a text box on a label document, Word 2008 repeatedly fails, giving the message: "This application cannot open this file. This file is an unsupported graphic format or may be damaged. Try opening this graphic in another application".

If I switch back to the regular (non-label) document, I can successfully insert the picture, then I was able to copy and paste it. But after a couple of times doing this, I received the message no matter which document I tried the 'Insert Picture' command. It would also happen whether I was attempting to insert into a text box or just into the document at the insertion point. It would happen with any graphic file.

Closing and re-starting Word would not fix the problem - it took a restart of Leopard. The files all appear to be OK, as Finder and Preview showed them, and after a re-boot they inserted OK in Word until the problem would recur (after a few inserts).
0
mtlee (1)

I believe what you're experiencing is an extension of  known issue. I
haven't thoroughly tested to be sure but that's what it looks like. I just
created a label doc (Avery 5160), drew a text box in it & was able to
Insert> Picture> From File - ???.png with no problem. The "secret" is that
you *cannot* have the Style section of the Formatting Palette expanded when
you attempt to insert the image.

I tried again with the Styles section expanded & ran into the same
objection. The same thing happens if you just try to Insert an image no the
body of a doc. MacBU is aware of the issue & is working on a fix but it
hasn't yet arrived:-( In the meantime just make sure that the Styles section
is collapsed or that the Formatting Palette is minimized or closed when you
attempt to insert an image.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 23 apr, 06:43, CyberTaz <onlygeneralt...@com.cast.net> wrote:
> I believe what you're experiencing is an extension of =A0known issue. I
> haven't thoroughly tested to be sure but that's what it looks like. I just=

> created a label doc (Avery 5160), drew a text box in it & was able to
> Insert> Picture> FromFile- ???.png with no problem. The "secret" is that
> you *cannot* have the Style section of the Formatting Palette expanded whe=
> you attempt to insert the image.
>
> I tried again with the Styles section expanded & ran into the same
> objection. The same thing happens if you justtryto Insert an image no the
> body of a doc. MacBU is aware of the issue & is working on a fix but it
> hasn't yet arrived:-( In the meantime just make sure that the Styles secti=
on
> is collapsed or that the Formatting Palette is minimized or closed when yo=
> attempt to insert an image.
>
> HTH |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>
> On 4/19/08 10:31 AM, in article ee98eb3...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
>
> "mt...@officeformac.com" <mt...@officeformac.com> wrote:
> > Version: 2008
> > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
> > Processor: intel
>
> > When trying to insert a picture (.tif, .jpg, .gif) into a text box on a =
label
> > document, Word 2008 repeatedly fails, giving the message: "Thisapplicati=
on
> > cannot open thisfile. Thisfileis anunsupportedgraphicformatormaybe
> >damaged.Tryopeningthisgraphicinanotherapplication".
>
> > If I switch back to the regular (non-label) document, I can successfully=

> > insert the picture, then I was able to copy and paste it. But after a co=
uple
> > of times doing this, I received the message no matter which document I t=
ried
> > the 'Insert Picture' command. It would also happen whether I was attempt=
ing to
> > insert into a text box or just into the document at the insertion point.=
 It
> > would happen with anygraphicfile.
>
> > Closing and re-starting Word would not fix the problem - it took a resta=
rt of
> > Leopard. The files all appear to be OK, as Finder and Preview showed the=
m, and
> > after a re-boot they inserted OK in Word until the problem would recur (=
after
> > a few inserts).

That works for my fine!!! I closed the styles section and then i could
import my pictures when it is open i can't
Thnx for this solution!!!
I was getting frustrated with this error using images that I knew were
not corrupt. So, just for kicks, I tried importing png, bmp, wmf, psd,
pdf, gif and jpeg versions of the same image and they all failed with
this error.

Sure enough my styles section was open and when I closed it .... no
prob.

Thanks a million for this little workaround.

-TB

On Apr 24, 10:44=A0am, silviabuit...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 23 apr, 06:43, CyberTaz <onlygeneralt...@com.cast.net> wrote:
>

> > I believe what you're experiencing is an extension of =A0known issue. I
> > haven't thoroughly tested to be sure but that's what it looks like. I ju=
st
> > created a label doc (Avery 5160), drew a text box in it & was able to
> > Insert> Picture> FromFile- ???.png with no problem. The "secret" is that=

> > you *cannot* have the Style section of the Formatting Palette expanded w=
hen
> > you attempt to insert the image.
>
> > I tried again with the Styles section expanded & ran into the same
> > objection. The same thing happens if you justtryto Insert an image no th=
> > body of a doc. MacBU is aware of the issue & is working on a fix but it
> > hasn't yet arrived:-( In the meantime just make sure that the Styles sec=
tion
> > is collapsed or that the Formatting Palette is minimized or closed when =
you
> > attempt to insert an image.
>
> > HTH |:>)
> > Bob Jones
> > [MVP] Office:Mac
>
> > On 4/19/08 10:31 AM, in article ee98eb3...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
>
> > "mt...@officeformac.com" <mt...@officeformac.com> wrote:
> > > Version: 2008
> > > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
> > > Processor: intel
>
> > > When trying to insert a picture (.tif, .jpg, .gif) into a text box on =
a label
> > > document, Word 2008 repeatedly fails, giving the message: "Thisapplica=
tion
> > > cannot open thisfile. Thisfileis anunsupportedgraphicformatormaybe
> > >damaged.Tryopeningthisgraphicinanotherapplication".
>
> > > If I switch back to the regular (non-label) document, I can successful=
ly
> > > insert the picture, then I was able to copy and paste it. But after a =
couple
> > > of times doing this, I received the message no matter which document I=
 tried
> > > the 'Insert Picture' command. It would also happen whether I was attem=
pting to
> > > insert into a text box or just into the document at the insertion poin=
t. It
> > > would happen with anygraphicfile.
>
> > > Closing and re-starting Word would not fix the problem - it took a res=
tart of
> > > Leopard. The files all appear to be OK, as Finder and Preview showed t=
hem, and
> > > after a re-boot they inserted OK in Word until the problem would recur=
 (after
> > > a few inserts).
>
> That works for my fine!!! I closed the styles section and then i could
> import my pictures when it is open i can't
> Thnx for this solution!!!

0
byrne.ted (1)
5/6/2008 8:26:18 PM
Thanks for the confirmation - more importantly Kudos for taking the
initiative to find that solution on your own!

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/6/08 4:26 PM, in article
bfd52ae7-3b47-4613-a8f3-d6ba71b89f61@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com, "tbyrne"
<byrne.ted@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was getting frustrated with this error using images that I knew were
> not corrupt. So, just for kicks, I tried importing png, bmp, wmf, psd,
> pdf, gif and jpeg versions of the same image and they all failed with
> this error.
>
> Sure enough my styles section was open and when I closed it .... no
> prob.
>
> Thanks a million for this little workaround.
>
> -TB
>

> On Apr 24, 10:44�am, silviabuit...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On 23 apr, 06:43, CyberTaz <onlygeneralt...@com.cast.net> wrote:
>>

>>> I believe what you're experiencing is an extension of �known issue. I
>>> haven't thoroughly tested to be sure but that's what it looks like. I just
>>> created a label doc (Avery 5160), drew a text box in it & was able to
>>> Insert> Picture> FromFile- ???.png with no problem. The "secret" is that
>>> you *cannot* have the Style section of the Formatting Palette expanded when
>>> you attempt to insert the image.
>>
>>> I tried again with the Styles section expanded & ran into the same
>>> objection. The same thing happens if you justtryto Insert an image no the
>>> body of a doc. MacBU is aware of the issue & is working on a fix but it
>>> hasn't yet arrived:-( In the meantime just make sure that the Styles section
>>> is collapsed or that the Formatting Palette is minimized or closed when you
>>> attempt to insert an image.
>>
>>> HTH |:>)
>>> Bob Jones
>>> [MVP] Office:Mac

>> That works for my fine!!! I closed the styles section and then i could
>> import my pictures when it is open i can't
>> Thnx for this solution!!!

On 4=D4=C219=C8=D5, =CF=C2=CE=E710=CA=B131=B7=D6, mt...@officeformac.com wro=
te:
> Version: 2008
> Processor: intel
>
> When trying to insert a picture (.tif, .jpg, .gif) into a text box on a la=
bel document, Word 2008 repeatedly fails, giving the message: "This applicat=
ion cannot open this file. This file is an unsupported graphic format or may=
 be damaged. Try opening this graphic in another application".

> If I switch back to the regular (non-label) document, I can successfully i=
nsert the picture, then I was able to copy and paste it. But after a couple =
of times doing this, I received the message no matter which document I tried=
 the 'Insert Picture' command. It would also happen whether I was attempting=
 to insert into a text box or just into the document at the insertion point.=
 It would happen with any graphic file.

> Closing and re-starting Word would not fix the problem - it took a restart=
 of Leopard. The files all appear to be OK, as Finder and Preview showed the=
m, and after a re-boot they inserted OK in Word until the problem would recu=
r (after a few inserts).
Hi,

Why not try Advanced Word Repair at http://www.datanumen.com/awr/ ?
It recovers several important Word documents for me and is really
helpful!

Alan

0
mxk (3)
5/11/2008 2:30:54 PM
In article
<be3c702e-304c-4c9f-81e9-4eb56a878d22@i36g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
 mxk <mxk@datanumen.net> wrote:

> Why not try Advanced Word Repair

Because the OP's using a Mac, and your software only runs in Windows.

You're rapidly appearing to be an idiot who doesn't learn.

That might lead one to assume that you're similarly challenged in your
software development.

That might further lead one to actively recommend *against* WinWord
users taking the risk of using it...
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
5/11/2008 10:14:25 PM
Because, you brain-dead little slime-ball, your foetid nocturnal emission
of spyware runs only on a PC!!

On 12/05/08 12:30 AM, in article
<mxk@datanumen.net> wrote:

> On 4��19��, ����10ʱ31��, mt...@officeformac.com wrote:
>> Version: 2008
>> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
>> Processor: intel
>>
>> When trying to insert a picture (.tif, .jpg, .gif) into a text box on a label
>> document, Word 2008 repeatedly fails, giving the message: "This application
>> cannot open this file. This file is an unsupported graphic format or may be
>> damaged. Try opening this graphic in another application".
>>
>> If I switch back to the regular (non-label) document, I can successfully
>> insert the picture, then I was able to copy and paste it. But after a couple
>> of times doing this, I received the message no matter which document I tried
>> the 'Insert Picture' command. It would also happen whether I was attempting
>> to insert into a text box or just into the document at the insertion point.
>> It would happen with any graphic file.
>>
>> Closing and re-starting Word would not fix the problem - it took a restart of
>> Leopard. The files all appear to be OK, as Finder and Preview showed them,
>> and after a re-boot they inserted OK in Word until the problem would recur
>> (after a few inserts).
> Hi,
>
> Why not try Advanced Word Repair at http://www.datanumen.com/awr/ ?
> It recovers several important Word documents for me and is really
> helpful!
>
> Alan

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP, Word and Word:Mac
Sydney, Australia.   mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)

Where is the lasso feature in 2008? (was in formatting palette in 2004)

punblisher and word prcoessing software
can publisher be used as word processing sofware? Not very successfully, it's a desktop publishing program. If you don't have the $, download and install OpenOffice. OpenOffice Writer is an excellent word processor — very similar to MS Word. "shelagh" <shelagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:834CE68F-4492-466A-91DC-694F807C578C@microsoft.com... > can publisher be used as word processing sofware? It *could* but it's not the best tool for that job. Specifically what do you want to do? -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask...

Data migration - Adventure Works

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

SQL Server Connection Failed
Hi everybody, this is my scenario: 1. Windows Server 2008 2. WSS 3.0 + MOSS 2007 3. SQL Server 2008. i'm having this problem: "Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: An error occurred while evaluating the password. [CLIENT: 72.55.191.137]". in this momment i can't see any application from sharepoint. somebody knows how can i do? i don't change the sa password. i don't change anything in the sharepoint configuration. since two days ago i'm having this problem. pls, is very urgent, because i have to deliver this server the next monday to the...

XY Scatter Map with Test Labels
Sorry if this is a repeated request, but I'm trying to show the distribution of 16 points (labelled A through P) using X-Y coordinates. When I turn on labels, I can show either the X-positions (label) or Y-positions (value), but I really want to show the text name "A" through "P". Can this be automated in Excel? Thanks for any advice. Hi Mike, The easiest thing to do is use a free addin utility to allow you to link data labels to cells. Try Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler add-in http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm Cheers Andy Mike K. wrote...

Word 2004 and kyocera printer issue
Hi, I am running a fully patched MAC OSX.4 machine with Office 2004 fully patched. I have installed the latest Kyocera OS X English 10.2 drivers from the kyocera website, for KM7530 model. The driver installs a job accounting feature in the printing presets for that particular printer. The function will work fine for every program other than word, word will not allow you the option to enter a pin code. all the features seem to be greyed out. If i reinstall and go immediately to anotherr program such as Eudora or Firefox or even Excel I can enter and lock the pin number in and it will print...

Bank One Download is not working

Saving Pictures
I read all the info on the forum about saving pictures but when I open Power Poing, I don't get the usual buttons at the top. It opens to a page layout with Home, Insert, Page layout and so on. When I try to open the email just to see what files are in it, it shows the slide show. -- Gary So, first save it to your hard drive. Then open PowerPoint Then Open the file within PPT "skydiver9696" <skydiver9696@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 396594B0-40D7-4D7F-A560-6F93662A8D57@microsoft.com... >I read all the info on the forum abou...

Office 2008 "Office Installer" could not be opened
Trying to install Office 2008... When I double click the Office Installer icon....I get the following message: The document �Office Installer� could not be opened. I'm on a MacBook Pro. I've never had problems installing programs before. This is new. Thanks for any help. On 2/26/08 2:03 PM, in article ee8edf5.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Dags@officeformac.com" <Dags@officeformac.com> wrote: > Trying to install Office 2008... > > When I double click the Office Installer icon....I get the following message: > > The document �Office Installer� could ...

Connect to my Skydrive Folders from Word 2007
I have installed the MS Office Live Add-in so that I can open and save documents directly to my Office Live folders from within Word 2007. I would like to do the same with my Skydrive but can't seem to connect to it from within Word 2007. ...

Word
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel How can I reduce the size of inserted pictures in the document WITHOUT linking them? Seems like I used to be able to do this on my pc in Word2003... My 35 page document with pictures is now 140MB! The best approach is to process the images properly using a graphics app *before* plunking them into any sort of document... If you drop in a 1.8MB image it will increase the document's file size by that amount. More recent version of Win Word do have a Compress Picture tool which Mac Word does not have. ...

Compact Now feature doesn;t seem to work...
I still have a 600+ MB in-box. ANyone know hwta might keep it from compacting? I did empty the trash. Compacting only works when there is a certain percentage of white space in the file (I think it's something like 4%)...if there isn't, Outlook doesn't think there's anything to compact. Also, if you leave Outlook open long enough, background compaction will be taking place. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:5feb01c474ce$23bb29d0...

How can I get the trial balloon to work?
I've downloaded the Works program trial balloon over and over, but when I try to use the program it tells me to use a product key and the key I was given (every time) doesn't work. ...

Word find/replace equivalent of (word1|word2)
Hello All, New poster, I did my best to search for this answer using keywords such as: atomic grouping, alternatives, bar OR pip equivalent, etc... but had no luck My question is, is there/what is the Microsoft Word find/replace equivalent of the regular expression (word1|word2) ? I've obviously tried | and \| with no luck. And any webpage I found with discussion of advanced find/replace for word did not go into atomic grouping. Thanks so much! -Hikari Have you tried the article that is found here: http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm It might...

how to change bullet size in MS Word 2007
how to change bullet size in MS Word 2007 "Noam" <Noam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:154B16A1-A114-4E59-9569-1C60D39D9508@microsoft.com... > how to change bullet size in MS Word 2007 Home toolbar on ribbon. Click the down pointing arrow on the bullet symbol in Paragraph section. Click on Define new bullet. Click on Font. Click on the point size for your new bullet size. Whatever you have typed with a bullet will change to the new size or format you select. Hope this helps, let us know. ...

modifying pictures
I am trialling visio 2007 - I have imported a clip art picture (in this case a celtic band) Does the programe allow me to modify the band so its becomes curved - either convex or concave -- Alex Hello Alex, You've got various options: 1) create the 'tranformed' image in an editor and then import into Visio 2) create a mask shape with a cut-out and place that over the top of your imported image shape 3) create a fill pattern using your image and then apply the pattern to a shape with your desired form For the image editor route, there obviously the commercial products, bu...

how to locate where an xslt stylesheet failed
Dear experts, After converting some .net code from using XslTransform to XslCompiledTransform, one of my XSLs no longer runs. it fails with: Attribute and namespace nodes cannot be added to the parent element after a text, comment, pi, or sub-element node has already been added. trouble is my stylesheet is long and complicated and I don't know where the error was. is there any way of finding out which line number in the XSLT produced the error? I tried it on Xml spy (which does tell you where the error was) but the same transform doesn't fail in xml spy. Andy Andy Fish wrot...