How to run Office:Mac on a PC?

For better support of Mac users, I want to run Office:Mac on a PC. Though I
know about PearPC http://pearpc.sourceforge.net, I did not yet give it a
try. Are there other solutions available?

Many thanks for all hints and explanations,

Thomas
0
kicks (3)

Hi Thomas,

as far as I know, there aren't that many solutions to run Mac OS X on PCs. I
have heard of PearPC, but I don't think that you can legally run Mac OS X on
a non-Apple computer; if I remember correctly, the license agreement states
that you are supposed to run OS X on Apple hardware only. Also, since you
can only buy Mac OS X for PowerPCs right now, PearPC will have to emulate
such a PowerPC environment, which means that OS X will run rather slowly,
depending on your hardware configuration. If you have to support Mac users
quite frequently, you might actually be better off getting a cheap Mac mini
instead. Sorry for not being more helpful!

--
Michel Bintener
Microsoft MVP

***Always reply to the newsgroup.***

0
m.bintener1 (110)
6/3/2006 8:55:28 AM
On 3/6/06 09:55, in article C0A70D10.185F5%m.bintener@NOSPAMmvps.org,
"Michel Bintener" <m.bintener@NOSPAMmvps.org> wrote:

> If you have to support Mac users
> quite frequently, you might actually be better off getting a cheap Mac mini
> instead. Sorry for not being more helpful!

Or, of course, you could buy an intel mac as your main machine and run both
OS X or Windows XP natively on it!

;-)

--
Barry Wainwright
Microsoft MVP (see http://mvp.support.microsoft.com for details)

0
barry5268 (197)
6/3/2006 9:20:55 AM
Hi,

Barry and Michel each make good points.

If you want MacOS to actually be able to do anything worthwhile then
running it in emulation just won't make a good experience for you.

The logical solution is to get an Intel based mac mini and continue to
use your existing keyboard, monitor and peripherals. Then run Windows on
the mini.  I've been using the Parallels virtual machine on my iMac and
am amazed at the blazing speed of both operating systems. Windows on my
Mac is every bit as fast as on any other hardware that I've ever used.
There is no sacrifice in speed at all.

-Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

Barry Wainwright [MVP] wrote:
> On 3/6/06 09:55, in article C0A70D10.185F5%m.bintener@NOSPAMmvps.org,
> "Michel Bintener" <m.bintener@NOSPAMmvps.org> wrote:
>
>> If you have to support Mac users
>> quite frequently, you might actually be better off getting a cheap Mac mini
>> instead. Sorry for not being more helpful!
>
> Or, of course, you could buy an intel mac as your main machine and run both
> OS X or Windows XP natively on it!
>
> ;-)

0
goldkey74 (611)
6/3/2006 1:42:43 PM
Am Sat, 03 Jun 2006 09:42:43 -0400 schrieb Jim Gordon:

> Hi,
>
> Barry and Michel each make good points.
>
> If you want MacOS to actually be able to do anything worthwhile then
> running it in emulation just won't make a good experience for you.
>
> The logical solution is to get an Intel based mac mini and continue to
> use your existing keyboard, monitor and peripherals. Then run Windows on
> the mini.  I've been using the Parallels virtual machine on my iMac and
> am amazed at the blazing speed of both operating systems. Windows on my
> Mac is every bit as fast as on any other hardware that I've ever used.
> There is no sacrifice in speed at all.
>
> -Jim Gordon
> Mac MVP
>
> Barry Wainwright [MVP] wrote:
>> On 3/6/06 09:55, in article C0A70D10.185F5%m.bintener@NOSPAMmvps.org,
>> "Michel Bintener" <m.bintener@NOSPAMmvps.org> wrote:
>>
>>> If you have to support Mac users
>>> quite frequently, you might actually be better off getting a cheap Mac mini
>>> instead. Sorry for not being more helpful!
>>
>> Or, of course, you could buy an intel mac as your main machine and run both
>> OS X or Windows XP natively on it!

Due to license conditions, which I was not aware of until now, and
performance factors, I now consider it a good idea to invest in an
intel-based Mac and run it as dual system. Provided, it allows not only for
XP, but for Vista as well.

Many thanks to Michel, Barry and Jim.
0
kicks (3)
6/3/2006 11:16:41 PM
Hi Thomas,

Unfortunately one of the conditions of being an MVP is that we can not
disclose unpublished information about products that have not yet been
released. Vista is one of those products.

Instead, I can only suggest you check out web sites that have
information about running Vista in MacOS.  The short story is that using
Apple's Boot Camp that you can run Vista if you properly re-partition
the drive.

I wrote a note to Parallels customer support about running Vista, but I
did not receive a reply.

-Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

Thomas Bliesener wrote:
> Am Sat, 03 Jun 2006 09:42:43 -0400 schrieb Jim Gordon:
  Provided, it allows not only for
> XP, but for Vista as well.
>
> Many thanks to Michel, Barry and Jim.
0
goldkey74 (611)
6/4/2006 3:40:30 PM
Am Sun, 04 Jun 2006 11:40:30 -0400 schrieb Jim Gordon:

> Unfortunately one of the conditions of being an MVP is that we can not
> disclose unpublished information about products that have not yet been
> released. Vista is one of those products.

Agreed, Jim. When NDA interferes, we should deepen these considerations in
the appropriate groups, i.e. a beta longhorn group or an mvp longhorn
group. I did start this thread in a public group, however, since I consider
the topic of general interest. Many thanks for your contributing so far.

> using Apple's Boot Camp ..
> you can run Vista if you properly re-partition the drive.

Yes, I appreciate the elaborations on boot camp on the apple site. It looks
very promising.
0
kicks (3)

Office Tools in 2010
I use Office 2003 and am accustomed to reaching for Office Tools quite often. Are they included in any version of 2010? Thank you. Some are. Which specific tools are you looking for? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.htm Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007: http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon "JJG" <not@anwhere.com> wrote in message news:ODvL4$76KHA.5708@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > I use Office 2003 and am accustomed to reaching for Office Tools ...

Office XP Exel
Scenario: User's A,B, C, and D all have access to an excel XLS on a 2003 server. Users A & B have modify rights, users C&D only have read rights. If user A updates the file, the general tab in properties reflect the exact time the file was modified. After user A saves and closes the file, user D goes in. The changes are there, but in the properties general tab, the modify date in an old date (probably the actual creation date). Is this normal ? Any idea's ? ...

Auto complete in Excel (Office) 2003
Is it possible to increase the *memory* of autocomplete?? I notice in the columns that excel will attempt to autocomplete if the text has been used in the last 100 or so cells (i think). What I would like is it to attempt to remember , say, 500 cells back. Is this possible?? Have I explained myself well enough? :-) Cheers Bob Check http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219730 fo possible solution -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Outlook Inbox running tally of e-mails in it
HELP ! This should be simple for someone but not me. I used to have a number on the left side of my screen when in my in-box that would tell me the total number of e- mails in my inbox (normally around 200-300). This was not JUST the new ones which are reflected on the folders line. It was at the bottom of the page and would change immediately if I deleted or added one. I lost the number and want it back. How do I do that? Thanks for any help anyone can give ! Cindy view - status bar "Suzanne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0bb901c3deda$1...

How to share same email a/c on 2 pc
I have linked 2 pc via Windows Small Office network. How to let these 2 pc share the same email a/c in Microsoft Outlook. Plse provide solution in detailed steps as I am a novice. Operating syste=xp outlook version 2003 Thanks "Christine" <centrol@singnet.com.sg> wrote in message news:hop8fj$7la$1@reader01.singnet.com.sg... > I have linked 2 pc via Windows Small Office network. > > How to let these 2 pc share the same email a/c in Microsoft Outlook. > > Plse provide solution in detailed steps as I am a novice. > > Operating sys...

Moving from Home & Student to Full version of Office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I need Exchange support and therefore I am planning to buy the Full version of MS Office 2008 for Mac. I already purchased and installed (and have been using) MS Office 2008 Home & Student edition. My questions are: 1. Should I uninstall the Home & Student edition before installing the Full version? (I assume so). 2. How do I make sure that the data I have already created in Office 2008 Home & Student edition will be available to me after installing the Full version? In particular, how do I make sure that ...

A first look at the new Office Snapin for MSCRM
http://blogs.msdn.com/jstraumann -- John [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm. ...

Adding an "I'm out of the Office" Message
Re Outlook Express. I can't find anywhere on the index about how to send one of those "I will be out of the office from July blah blah to August blah blah." Anyone help, please? thanks-- Richard Hi - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexp...

Function doesn't run
In my spreadsheet, I have the following function =VLookup(K16, zips, 2) However, instead of returning a result, the function remains in the cell. How do I fix this problem? Format the cell as General and re-enter the formula (F2, ENTER) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Justin" <jmeyer@incrementaladvantage.com> wrote in message news:1165596899.059148.31580@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com... | In my spreadsheet, I have the following function | =VLookup(K16, zips, 2) | However, instead of returning a result, the function remains in the | cell. How do I fix th...

Office 207 One Note
My One Note has been working fine for at least 2 years. Then a couple of days ago two pages of my most important information in my main workbook just disappeared. I'm not sure but none of the other pages look the same. Does anyone have any idea what might have happened? Have had no other computer problems recently. -- Rockymtnwoman -------- Original-Nachricht -------- > My One Note has been working fine for at least 2 years. Then a couple of days > ago two pages of my most important information in my main workbook just > disappeared. > I'm not sure b...

Language Support for all Office 2000 programs
Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I'm not finding any language support downloads for Office 2000. Does anyone have a specific link to send me to, so that I can do this? I have important documents that I have to print, but I recently got a new PC with 64-bit Vista. I loaded my 200 Office Suite on the PC, but it no longer is supporting the foreign language that I have throughout my documents. I just get block shapes instead. I need help. Thanks. Start here Deploying Office 2000 with Additional Language Resources http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ork2000/HA011383...

Office 2007 on Windows 7
I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 7. I also purchased Office 2007 but I notice that Windows 7 is not shown on the Office package. Can I install Office 2007 without any propblems? Answered your first posting. apensa wrote: > I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 7. I also purchased Office 2007 > but I notice that Windows 7 is not shown on the Office package. Can I > install Office 2007 without any propblems? ...

ESM 2003 info store Error on WinXP PC
ESM 2003 on Windows XP SP1a PC: Installed exchange system manager onto a windows xp sp 1a pc. I can run ESM fine, yet not administer public folders. When I access a public folder's properties, select the Permissions Tab and click "client permissions" button, I get an error-- The information store could not be opened. The logon to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer failed. MAPI 1.0 ID no: 80040111-0286-00000000 ID no: c105000 Exchange System Manager OK. Any ideas to resolve? Using ESM on server (even through RDC) works fine! Thanks! ~Terry ...

I can't find outlook express on my Mac?
I found a folder called Outlook express, but there is no actual program. I have Internet Explorer, should't I also have Outlook Express? http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&q=outlook+express+mac what version of IE is installed? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messa...

Uninstall parts of Office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi All, Is there a possibility to properly uninstall parts of Office that I don't want on my computer (eg Entourage), or is it just a matter of dragging those elements to trash? Thanks, Leo In article <59b75643.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, <Leo_Schouten@officeformac.com> wrote: > Is there a possibility to properly uninstall parts of Office that I don't > want on my computer (eg Entourage), or is it just a matter of dragging those > elements to trash? I don't recommend doing that becau...

Office 2004 and Languages
I had the office test drive in my new PowerBook that runned in Spanish. Then I've bought the full version and installed it in my computer but launches the app in English. Then I explored the office folder in both the testdrive and the full version and found out that there is a plugin (Microsoft Component Plugin) that tells office to run in a specific language. However, as this plugin also seems to contain the testdrive expiration date, once the Office program launches, it closes again. Does some body knows how I can activate other languages in Office, as it is clear that contains all the...

Need Training in office for CRM in Toronto, Onatrio
We just purchased the CRM. Can anyone refer a Microsoft partner/consultant that does CRM training. They need to be in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Thank you Jasmine On Dec 18, 4:36 pm, Jasmine <Jasm...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > We just purchased the CRM. Can anyone refer a Microsoft partner/consultant > that does CRM training. > They need to be in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. > Thank you > Jasmine Hi Jasmine, I am part of the largest Microsoft CRM partner in the world. We have offices across North America and are very tightly integrated to the Microsoft CRM Produc...

Unable to install office
Thanks in advance for any help. I recently purchased Office Ultimate 2007 Home and Student. Installation goes fine until half way through where the install wizard stops and the following error message appears: Error 25004 - Config.xml not specified. Valid config.xml file must be authored when deploying '(null)' The installer then rolls back the changes made. I have read several posts which mention this issue and have followed all advice to no effect. I have manually uninstalled all office products currently on my system to ensure there are no conflicts. Does ...

Office 2004 Partial Circular Arcs
I cannot find the Block Arc item in Office 2004 apps. It's the only way that I know of to draw partial circular arcs. How does one draw true circular partial arcs? On 29/04/2007 22:34, in article 1177882457.555458.135170@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com, "dmbriggs@gmail.com" <dmbriggs@gmail.com> wrote: > I cannot find the Block Arc item in Office 2004 apps. It's the only > way that I know of to draw partial circular arcs. How does one draw > true circular partial arcs? > In the Drawing Toolbar, under basic shapes there is an arc tool. Hold down the shift ke...

Money 2006 Pocket PC does not work
I installed the downloaded money 2006 ppc to my new Dell Axim x51v that comes with windows mobile 5.0 installed. The installation process seems ok, however, when I tried to run it form Axim it poped up a message said some components not found and I need reinstall the program. Anyone know the solution? Thanks, A. Don't think mobile 5 is supported. See http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/271.aspx -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specif...

Run-time error 432
I'm getting a run-time error 432 when trying to open some areas of a VB program in excel. This program works on some machines and not others. We all have the same version of excel and our settings seem to be the same. Does anyone have any idea where I can start to look for the reason this is happening? Thanks Kevin After doing a search of Google, you may like to try this solution... Go to... http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/D/dao360.dll/03.60.8618.0/download.html download and install file.... Then go to RUN and type: Regsvr32C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Dao360.dll ...

micrsoft office 2008 for mac
Processor: Intel Hi Does anyone know if there is a free trial of microsoft office 2008 for mac? I know it is available for PC but I can't find a free trial for mac. Any answers? Sorry, Meghan - no trial version of Office 2008 has ever been released. Regards |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 9/24/08 2:42 PM, in article 59b5a51c.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "meghanmnm@officeformac.com" <meghanmnm@officeformac.com> wrote: > Processor: Intel > > Hi > Does anyone know if there is a free trial of microsoft office 2008 for mac? I > know it is available f...

office sr1--how do I get it?
Can anyone tell me how to get Office 2000 SR1, 2? I went to the office web site and ordered it but I got a few days later saying my order has been cancelled. Does anyone have it? I have SR3 (got that easy as pie). My wife and I have been having weird things going on with Outlook (constant crashing and error report dialog boxes appearing--fortunatey, we can still work with those boxes up, but it's annoying). http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2000/journ/sr1a.htm Don't forget the additional updates available ;-) -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Offi...