I have an iMac that has had Microsoft Office on it since 2002 or so.  Other
family members have bought MS Office as well since then.  They are all v. X.
Each has a unique product ID and the only disc copy I can find for installing
MS Office has a key on it.  I don't know if it was my original copy.  I will
soon be reinstalling an OS on the iMac and in the process, I will have to
wipe it clean.  Is it possible to copy all of the MS Office files to
appropriate backup locations, then copy them back when the install is done so
I do not have to reinstall from the disc and risk it not being my copy?

Also, is it possible to reinstall if I have the current product ID (even if
it is coming from a different disc)?  I tried to get MS support but MS says
the old product ID is not valid and they want $50 to talk to me and Office is
not worth $50 to me (I'll just install OpenOffice 3.0 instead if I cannot
resolve this).  Any help is appreciated.  I paid enough for Office, I do want
to keep it, but I'm not going to buy another copy (hence wanting to just move
it).

RN
0
renichms (3)

renichms <renichms@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>  I will
> soon be reinstalling an OS on the iMac and in the process, I will have to
> wipe it clean.  Is it possible to copy all of the MS Office files to
> appropriate backup locations, then copy them back when the install is done so
> I do not have to reinstall from the disc and risk it not being my copy?

With Office X and 2004, everything you need is in the Microsoft Office
folder. Even the serialization. You can back it up and restore it on
another Mac adn you shouldn't have any problem.
It's not usually recommended though since whatever corruption you might
have on the old Mac will then transfer to the new one, but you get the
idea.

> Also, is it possible to reinstall if I have the current product ID (even if
> it is coming from a different disc)?  I tried to get MS support but MS says
> the old product ID is not valid and they want $50 to talk to me and Office is
> not worth $50 to me (I'll just install OpenOffice 3.0 instead if I cannot
> resolve this).  Any help is appreciated.  I paid enough for Office, I do want
> to keep it, but I'm not going to buy another copy (hence wanting to just move
> it).

As far as I know, the serial number you have can be used with any
install CD for Office X: even for an install CD in a different
language!!! (some people used that after buying Office in a foreign
country and realizing that the menus were not in their language).
You can always give it a try anyway.

Corentin

--
            --- Mac:MS MVP  http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ ---
korventeen (753)
"renichms" wrote:

> I have an iMac that has had Microsoft Office on it since 2002 or so.  Other
> family members have bought MS Office as well since then.  They are all v. X.
> Each has a unique product ID and the only disc copy I can find for installing
> MS Office has a key on it.  I don't know if it was my original copy.  I will
> soon be reinstalling an OS on the iMac and in the process, I will have to
> wipe it clean.  Is it possible to copy all of the MS Office files to
> appropriate backup locations, then copy them back when the install is done so
> I do not have to reinstall from the disc and risk it not being my copy?

If you drag over Office X folder from your root application folder and all
the Microsoft preferences, you should be OK, but to get all the fonts etc. I
would install from the CD. Then drag over your updated copy of Office X.
10.1.9.

FYI...

Office X stored the CD Key in an invisible file.

/Applications/Microsoft Office 2004 (or X)/Office/
- OfficePID (normally an invisible file)

Users/[Username]/Library/Preferences/Microsoft
- Carbon Registration Database
- Office Registration Cache
- Microsoft Office Settings

> Also, is it possible to reinstall if I have the current product ID (even if
> it is coming from a different disc)?

Yes. Remember Registration is optional. You can reuse a CD key over to
install for yourself on a different computer. Office for Mac is not
activated.

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)
11/7/2008 11:39:03 PM
So if this copy is the disc that was used to install on one of the other
computers in the house, would I still be clear to use it and its key?  The
only difference between copies seems to be product ID and I didn't know if
that was based on the install disc or registration (and if it is based on
registration, is it possible to somehow put that back in even if it is
someone else's disc?).

We once accidentally used the same disc twice and when both copies were open
at the same time (given network connection), it would say another copy was
open and force the new one to quit.  I'm basically trying to avoid that while
preserving MS Office (since it's now well out of my price range).

Thanks for the info so far.

RN

"Diane Ross" wrote:

> "renichms" wrote:
>
> > I have an iMac that has had Microsoft Office on it since 2002 or so.  Other
> > family members have bought MS Office as well since then.  They are all v. X.
> > Each has a unique product ID and the only disc copy I can find for installing
> > MS Office has a key on it.  I don't know if it was my original copy.  I will
> > soon be reinstalling an OS on the iMac and in the process, I will have to
> > wipe it clean.  Is it possible to copy all of the MS Office files to
> > appropriate backup locations, then copy them back when the install is done so
> > I do not have to reinstall from the disc and risk it not being my copy?
>
> If you drag over Office X folder from your root application folder and all
> the Microsoft preferences, you should be OK, but to get all the fonts etc. I
> would install from the CD. Then drag over your updated copy of Office X.
> 10.1.9.
>
> FYI...
>
> Office X stored the CD Key in an invisible file.
>
> /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004 (or X)/Office/
> - OfficePID (normally an invisible file)
>

> Users/[Username]/Library/Preferences/Microsoft
> - Carbon Registration Database
> - Office Registration Cache
> - Microsoft Office Settings
> >
> > Also, is it possible to reinstall if I have the current product ID (even if
> > it is coming from a different disc)?
>

> Yes. Remember Registration is optional. You can reuse a CD key over to
> install for yourself on a different computer. Office for Mac is not
> activated.
>
> --
> Diane

0
renichms (3)
11/8/2008 8:49:01 PM
"renichms" wrote:

> So if this copy is the disc that was used to install on one of the other
> computers in the house, would I still be clear to use it and its key?  The
> only difference between copies seems to be product ID and I didn't know if
> that was based on the install disc or registration (and if it is based on
> registration, is it possible to somehow put that back in even if it is
> someone else's disc?).

The key is only tied to files on your computer. Only pirated keys are
disabled by the installer.

License and Version Info (find key used)
<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/version/license_version.html#locate>

> We once accidentally used the same disc twice and when both copies were open
> at the same time (given network connection), it would say another copy was
> open and force the new one to quit.  I'm basically trying to avoid that while
> preserving MS Office (since it's now well out of my price range).

If you don't need Exchange you can get Office 2008 very reasonably. $129.99
(includes 3 keys)

<http://tinyurl.com/4ydu2u>

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)
11/8/2008 9:33:38 PM
Thank you for the clarification.  As a test, I copied the Microsoft Office X
folder and the entire Microsoft folder from preferences to an external HDD,
copied them over to this computer and it all seems to work without a hitch at
all.  It still says the same product ID and that it's registered to me.

I will keep the disc in case this installation doesn't work out.  I'm hoping
it does since I still don't know whose disc it is.  It should be all clear if
I don't try to keep using the old install on the iMac, right?

RN

"Diane Ross" wrote:

> "renichms" wrote:
>
> > So if this copy is the disc that was used to install on one of the other
> > computers in the house, would I still be clear to use it and its key?  The
> > only difference between copies seems to be product ID and I didn't know if
> > that was based on the install disc or registration (and if it is based on
> > registration, is it possible to somehow put that back in even if it is
> > someone else's disc?).
>
> The key is only tied to files on your computer. Only pirated keys are
> disabled by the installer.
>
> License and Version Info (find key used)
> <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/version/license_version.html#locate>
> >
> > We once accidentally used the same disc twice and when both copies were open
> > at the same time (given network connection), it would say another copy was
> > open and force the new one to quit.  I'm basically trying to avoid that while
> > preserving MS Office (since it's now well out of my price range).
>
> If you don't need Exchange you can get Office 2008 very reasonably. $129.99
> (includes 3 keys)
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/4ydu2u>
>
> --
> Diane

0
renichms (3)
11/8/2008 10:22:12 PM
"renichms" wrote:

> I will keep the disc in case this installation doesn't work out.  I'm hoping
> it does since I still don't know whose disc it is.  It should be all clear if
> I don't try to keep using the old install on the iMac, right?

Correct. If you do you will get the warning message.

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)

how do i create an office data connection file
i want to call a parameterized data connection. i want to eventually put this in office sharepoint server 2007's data connection library. every time i open the connection file i have successfully created that connects to the db, it want me to pick a table. i can cancel out of that and change it to sql and say to use a procedure, but i can't save this file, and the "Edit Query..." and "Parameters..." buttons are disabled so i can't set parameters. why is it so hard to work with this thing? thanks ...

Reinstalling MS Office Small Buisness Edition, 2003
When reinstalling MS Office 2003 from the orginal CD, it states a PA561401.CAB file is missing. How can I retrieve this file if it's not on the installtion disk? Dave Is your CD an OEM version or a full MS version. If the product key contains the letters OEM then post back -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:224E1F6F-7FF7-44F0-8973-A4974CB9AC0D@microsoft.com... > When reinstalling MS Offic...

moving messages from outlook express to outlook
I am trying to move messages from outlook express version 6 to outlook 2003. When I export from outlook express, there is no indication where the export file is stored. Is there a way to move messages or will I have to email them to myself? Thanks ...

Moving the Area of Interest across the Video Sequence
Hello, I am capturing a live acquisition of image 1280*1024 and defined a subwindow or Area of Interest (AOI) of size 1280*40 using MFC programming .I want to move this AOI across the 1280*1024 window (across the video sequence). I am thinking of using a timer or a for loop so that it will iterate on each of the frames of the video. Can anyone please kindly help me regarding this. Thanks in advance James. ...

Reg: Tracking emails into MS CRM3.0
Hi Just now I installed MS CRM 3.0 desktop outlook client in my system. I am unable to track more than 1 email into CRM at a time from my Outlook inbox. Is there any way to track more than 1 email into CRM? please let me know......... Thx in advance. Anil V no, you can only do one at a time. If you need to track a lot of e-mail, you should investigate the CRM Exchange Router which will automatically post e-mail for you. Dave Ireland "Anil Kumar V" <AnilKumarV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E965A49-5558-4D7E-836F-A80092F57F30@microsoft.com... > Hi ...

Office:mac 2004 installation problem
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone out there can help me... Way back in March I bought a new MacBook, and with it a copy of Office:mac 2004 student & teacher edition. I installed my copy of Office straight away, but didn't realise I needed to uninstall the Trial edition first. Every time I opened anything in Office, both the REAL and TRIAL editions started up - which is obviously quite annoying - so I tried to uninstall the trial. However, the REAL Office then stopped working. Getting a bit fed up, I tried to completely remove all traces of Office and start again. However, when I tr...

MS Access to MS excel
When I'm Access�. After a report has been generated (in Word format) I usually merge i with MS Excel and then email it off to our clients. However the forma of some of the fields change when this merge takes place. The date column will be in a date format in Access but when merged wit Excel the date format changes to a text format (what this means is tha the properties of the date column changes when the merge takes place) This change affects how our clients ingest the data I send them Yo can see this by going into one of the date cells in Excel and checkin the properties. I am u...

I have Korean Office...I need English (US) Office
LIPs don't seem to provide me with a solution...apparently there is no English LIP!?!?!?!?!? Seriously? That's crazy! LIP = Language Instruction Pack?? Why NO English? Where is Windows / Office developed? America, right? I'm in Korea. I bought a Korean computer. It came with Korean Windows. I need English menus and whatnot on my MS Office applications. In news:7430603D-8534-4235-A16D-D073B471EF85@microsoft.com, abundantmind <abundantmind@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > LIPs don't seem to provide me with a solution...apparently > there is...

Outlook 2007 send group emails without disclosure of recipient details
i got an email, i cannot see the recipient details. when look into the email header, it seems come from X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook, Build 11.0.5510 Can i do it at Outlook 2007? Thanks a lot. Tony Sure, you can do it in any email clients if you put the senders in the BCC field. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://ww...

OE & MS Outlook
Hi, Hoping someone can help. OE V.6 - won't open at all. Error message: OE cant open the message store, check you have enough memory. Ox8007000E. I honestly thought that having next to nothing in my startup folder, and not even using 3GB of my 14GB hard drive would be enough - alas no! No for my version of OE! So if I swap over to MS Outlook 2000, I have just as many hassles. It wont even let me download emails from the net. I have reset my accounts - there is no problem there. My internet properties are just fine thanks. The downloading error message: firewall hassles 1...

MS CRM 3.0 Small B. ed. modules
We have installed Small business server on one computer with all requirements fullfilled. The problem is: we have available only 3 of 5 (or 6) modules: service, settings and workplace. The other 2 - marketing and sales (wich we consider to be the most important) are not available (we can't see them). Does anybody know how to solve the problem? Thank you! Hello, may be i have a solution for you. You have to check the other modules in the following menu: - startpage of CRM - extra - options (--> a new page will be shown) Then click on workplace: there you can...

Reinstall Money on New Hard Drive
I installed Money Plus Deluxe on a desktop and a laptop, which expires Feb. 2010. The hard drive has to be replaced on the desktop and probably won't last much longer. Since I already activated Money twice, my understanding is that my choices are to purchase another copy of Money Plus to install on new hard drive and use until it expires in 2011, or purchase Quicken now to convert files and then re-install Quicken on new hard drive. Or would I be able to download my backup files of Money on new hard drive and then convert to a fresh install of Quicken without doing the con...

Office 2004 Project Gallery
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3184399017_17854679 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit In the main screen of the Office 2004 Project Gallery, there are icons for things like �Mail Message� and �Calendar Event�. How can I add, for example, �Address Book Entry� or �Task� to the Project Gallery? --B_3184399017_17854679 Content-type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable <HTML...

Running Office 2004 with network homes on 10.4
Hi. Im really at the end of my tether with office now, for well over a year it seems as though no matter what I do office just behaves like a spoilt brat. Were talking 10-20 minute load times just to load an office app. It will sit there and first it say configuring microsoft office components. then through a host of other things until eventually as i said about 20 minutes later it will actually open. I've seen things about fonts before, but i can tell its not just (if at all) this. I have a reasonably fast network, so i cant see how it is network issues. All clients have networ...

New Entity visit Report and Integration of Participants (MS CRM 3.
Hello Newsgroup, We have created a new Entity called visit reports. We have to add Participants in this new entity. It would nice, if we could have a field like the Participants in the appointment, where you can select the Participants from Contacts, Accounts, and Users. I'll hope , some of you have a idear. Regards Thomas You have to create a new relationship for your custom entity to the types of participants you want to be available. -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Thomas Haller" wrote: > Hello Newsgroup, > > We have created a new Entity...

MS POS 1.0 Install error...
Im using XP PRO SP2 ..net 1.1 installed MS SQLServer installed When i try and install MS Point of Sale 1.0 , i get this error message at the end of the install, when it says "Installing and configuring database" ------Error Message------ System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo) at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start() at Microsoft.Rms.Installation.CustomActions.Utilities.OpenSqlPortInFirewall(String installPath, String portNumber, String& errorMessage...

Can I remove blanks from a range without using sort?
I have a range of cells A1:a10, say, which obtain data from another source. Some of those cells a3, a6:a8, say, under certain conditions, will be blank. How do I reorder this range such that the cells containing information are listed together, removing the blanks? I want to do this using a formula, rather than filter or sort, as the data, and hence the blank cells, will change, and I want to perform analysis on the cells containing data. this is from one of the newsgroup correspondents use this code statement Range("a1:a10").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).EntireRow.Del...

Moving through sheets
How can I move through worksheets without having to clic the tab. I would like to see a list of worksheets name and select the one that I want to activate or see. I am looking for some command similar to the Find command where I can write data and Excel looks for it in the sheet, or something like the Go to command where I can choose from a list of Worksheet names. This is because I have a file of more than 50 worksheets and it isn't easy navigate through them. Thanks, Ivette Ivette If you right-click on the sheet navigation arrows at bottom left of status bar you will get a pop-...

Time Stamp in office
Hi All; Does anyone know of a way (keystroke, etc...) to put a time stamp into a Entourage document? On 5/11/04 6:00 PM, in article BCC6EF5F.291%thomasjones@adelphia.net, "Thomas Jones" <thomasjones@adelphia.net> wrote: > > Does anyone know of a way (keystroke, etc...) to put a time stamp into a > Entourage document? Get "Date Stamp X" script at MacScripter.net <http://macscripter.net/scriptbuilders/> It gives you about 20 different date-time formats to choose from. By default you do it with cmd-ctrl-D but you can change the key combo if yo...

office 2008 beta
I wish to uninstall an expired beta version, but the program closes after displays the message that the office is expired. How can I do it? Thanks. In article <d027e598-7a78-435c-84eb-e0bce0d7ec2d@d61g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, "jonathan.vivenzio@gmail.com" <jonathan.vivenzio@gmail.com> wrote: > I wish to uninstall an expired beta version, but the program closes > after displays the message that the office is expired. How can I do > it? If the Remove Office application doesn't work, I'd start with deleting the Office 2008 folder, and the preferences...

Help! Appointments all moved by an hour!
Hi Everyone... I have Exchange Server 2003 on an Windows Server 2003 box. Latest updates for everything, but the time change moved all of my appointments on some calendars by 1 hour! Not all calendars were effected. I see there is a knowledgebase article on it, but it applies to the Jerusalem time zone, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/867475/, not sure if I can use it or not... anyone else experience this problem in the Eastern United States, Daylight Savings Time... anyone else had the same issue? Thanks for any help? Yes, I am having the same issue with the president of the comp...

Move contacts w/o creating duplicates
I am using Outlook 2003 SP2 and Exchange 2003 SP1. I tried moving contacts from one public folder to another public folder, if a contact already existed in the move to folder I was not prompted to update existing or add as new, it automatically created a duplicate, which I don't want. I tried moving the same contacts from the same public folder to my local contacts with the same result, duplicates. In Outlook under tools, options, contact options, I have the check box checked for "check for duplicates". Is there another setting elsewhere, or somthing else I am missing...

MS Access. Can't open file via network
I have the database on one computer and trying to open it via network from another computer so I can simulateously work on it. And yes I do have the option-default mode-shared selected. When I click on the database nothing happens not even an error message. However, when I open the database iniitially from the remote computer it opens fine. Any words of wisdom out there? Thanks ahead of time. Dean :) Dean wrote: > I have the database on one computer and trying to open > it via network from another computer so I can simulateously > work on it. And yes I do have the option-default...

Posting to a new year without closing the previous year
Hi, I need to clear some doubts about entering transactions in a current year without closing the previous year Is GL posting to a new year not allowed Is Transaction affecting the Inventory quantities not allowed. Thanks Asma Asma: You can post to both inventory and GL without closing the current year. In GL there will be no issues whatsoever. In inventory there will be some smartlist objects and other information that will not be correct when you look at some historical "year to date", "current year", or "prior year" type inquiries and reports. "...

Move to match cells
My spreadsheet looks like this: A B C D E 1 000801025-8 009601025-3 2007 000801025-8 2007 2 000801026-9 009601026-4 2004 000801026-9 2004 3 000801028-1 009601028-6 2006 000801028-1 2006 4 000801036-8 009601036-3 2008 000801036-8 2008 5 000801044-5 009601044-0 2007 000801044-5 2007 6 000801044-5 009601055-0 2004 000801055-5 2004 7 000801055-5 009601064-8 2001 000801064-3 2001 8 000801055-5 009601091-2 2006 000801091-7 2006 9 000801064-3 009601095-6 2002 000801095-1 2002 10 000801091-7 009601097-8 1998 00...