How do I change the Product Key code and the User name of Microsoft Office 2008 once installed on Mac OSX 10.5.1?

How do I change the Product Key code and the User name of Microsoft Office 2008 once installed on Mac OSX 10.5.1?
0
mollycat (1)

On 2/26/08 5:15 PM, in article ee8ee56.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"mollycat@officeformac.com" <mollycat@officeformac.com> wrote:

> How do I change the Product Key code and the User name of Microsoft Office
> 2008 once installed on Mac OSX 10.5.1?

Delete these two files:

~:Library:Preferences:Microsoft:Office 2008:Microsoft Office 2008
Settings.plist

where ~ is your home folder, and

HD:Applications:Microsoft Office 2008:Office:OfficePID.plist
--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)
2/27/2008 2:14:12 AM
Diane,

I just had need of your counsel. Ah, you professionals always make it
look easy-

Many thanks!

0
pndrgnsvc (13)
3/12/2008 12:29:36 PM
Hi. I'm a first time user to Mac so do bear with me. I found OfficePID.plist but not Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist (I went to the location you indicated). I tried to delete just OfficepID.plist, but when I started Word, it came back and the licensee name is still there (which I'm ok with, except that it also shows my password!).
0
Paul_Tan (1)
3/22/2008 3:24:31 AM
If the file was not there, the applications would not run at all.

So go back and have another look. Believe us, it's there somewhere :-)  I
suspect you are confused by the meaning of the tilde character, which means
"Beginning from your home directory".

So mine is in MacHDD:Users:John:Library:Preferences:Microsoft:Office
2008:Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist

If you have not found both, here is no point in deleting either, since each
contains a backup of the other.

Cheers

On 22/3/08 1:24 PM, in article ee8ee56.2@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Paul_Tan@officeformac.com" <Paul_Tan@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Hi. I'm a first time user to Mac so do bear with me. I found OfficePID.plist
> but not Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist (I went to the location you
> indicated). I tried to delete just OfficepID.plist, but when I started Word,
> it came back and the licensee name is still there (which I'm ok with, except
> that it also shows my password!).

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Sydney, Australia.  S33�53'34.20 E151�14'54.50
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)
3/23/2008 9:25:44 AM
john, many tks ur explanation was really helpfull and i totally find it easy
for getting my key change

best regards
steven

"John McGhie" wrote:

> If the file was not there, the applications would not run at all.
>
> So go back and have another look. Believe us, it's there somewhere :-)  I
> suspect you are confused by the meaning of the tilde character, which means
> "Beginning from your home directory".
>
> So mine is in MacHDD:Users:John:Library:Preferences:Microsoft:Office
> 2008:Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist
>
> If you have not found both, here is no point in deleting either, since each
> contains a backup of the other.
>
> Cheers
>
> On 22/3/08 1:24 PM, in article ee8ee56.2@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
> "Paul_Tan@officeformac.com" <Paul_Tan@officeformac.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi. I'm a first time user to Mac so do bear with me. I found OfficePID.plist
> > but not Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist (I went to the location you
> > indicated). I tried to delete just OfficepID.plist, but when I started Word,
> > it came back and the licensee name is still there (which I'm ok with, except
> > that it also shows my password!).
>
> --
> Don't wait for your answer, click here: http://www.word.mvps.org/
>
> Please reply in the group.  Please do NOT email me unless I ask you to.
>
> John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
> http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
> Sydney, Australia.  S33°53'34.20 E151°14'54.50
> +61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
Steve-O (3)
3/24/2008 7:55:00 PM
Wauw, great. Thanks!
0
JvdP (1)
6/25/2008 8:56:02 PM

"Diane Ross" wrote:

> On 2/26/08 5:15 PM, in article ee8ee56.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
> "mollycat@officeformac.com" <mollycat@officeformac.com> wrote:
>
> > How do I change the Product Key code and the User name of Microsoft Office
> > 2008 once installed on Mac OSX 10.5.1?
>
> Delete these two files:
>
> ~:Library:Preferences:Microsoft:Office 2008:Microsoft Office 2008
> Settings.plist
>
> where ~ is your home folder, and
>
> HD:Applications:Microsoft Office 2008:Office:OfficePID.plist
> --
> Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)
> Entourage Help Page   <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>
> Entourage Help Blog  <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/>

I deleted both of these files but yet still it does not ask me for a new
product key, I was wondering what else I could do because I did the same
thing for my buddy and as soon as I tried to open word after I deleted the
two files it asked for all of the information again

0
buddyboy (1)
2/16/2009 5:50:01 PM
It would appear that the instructions you used have been adapted from an
earlier version.

Try this procedure here:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/help.mspx?clr=99-4-0&srcid=6a3c3f4f-8401-496e-9
937-57ba89c182231033&ep=9&target=9a229738-5fcd-4c82-a163-bd35845b8ddc1033

Cheers

On 17/02/09 4:50 AM, in article
C4020326-447B-4105-89E3-A2AC0BB7F849@microsoft.com, "buddyboy"
<buddyboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> "Diane Ross" wrote:
>
>> On 2/26/08 5:15 PM, in article ee8ee56.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
>> "mollycat@officeformac.com" <mollycat@officeformac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How do I change the Product Key code and the User name of Microsoft Office
>>> 2008 once installed on Mac OSX 10.5.1?
>>
>> Delete these two files:
>>
>> ~:Library:Preferences:Microsoft:Office 2008:Microsoft Office 2008
>> Settings.plist
>>
>> where ~ is your home folder, and
>>
>> HD:Applications:Microsoft Office 2008:Office:OfficePID.plist
>> --
>> Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)
>> Entourage Help Page   <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>
>> Entourage Help Blog  <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/>
>>

> I deleted both of these files but yet still it does not ask me for a new
> product key, I was wondering what else I could do because I did the same
> thing for my buddy and as soon as I tried to open word after I deleted the
> two files it asked for all of the information again

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP, Word and Word:Mac
Sydney, Australia.   mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)
2/17/2009 12:44:06 AM

"mollycat@officeformac.com" wrote:

> How do I change the Product Key code and the User name of Microsoft Office 2008 once installed on Mac OSX 10.5.1?

I have tried everything listed below and cannot remove the product key. I am
on Mac OSX 10.5.6
0
lvtwmn (2)
2/24/2009 1:25:01 AM
Where I am seeing your post, there is NOTHING below!!

If you are also in Office 2008, you must quit ALL Office applications, and
then delete both of these files and EMPTY THE TRASH.

   ~:Library:Preferences:Microsoft:Office 2008:Microsoft Office 2008
Settings.plist

where ~ is your home folder, and

   HD:Applications:Microsoft Office 2008:Office:OfficePID.plist

When you next start any Office app, you'll be asked to re-enter the CD Key
and all your user information.

Cheers

On 24/02/09 12:25 PM, in article
5C8A8832-E7A2-4BE8-9DB0-8EEDFAE50699@microsoft.com, "lvtwmn"
<lvtwmn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> "mollycat@officeformac.com" wrote:
>
>> How do I change the Product Key code and the User name of Microsoft Office
>> 2008 once installed on Mac OSX 10.5.1?
>>

> I have tried everything listed below and cannot remove the product key. I am
> on Mac OSX 10.5.6

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP, Word and Word:Mac
Sydney, Australia.   mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)
2/24/2009 8:11:47 AM
Hi all,

I've done the steps repeatedly and I keep getting to the key screen.  But
then I just loop around after I enter the key.  It asks if I want to be part
of a program, then an update screen.  But when I try to open entourage it
says "This identity cannot be opened with this version of Entourage".  Yet
word, excel, PP seem to work with limited functioning.  Any thoughts as to
what is going on?

Also on a side note, every time I delete the two plist files and reboot- my
firefox application erases.  Is there any way that some office 2008 embedded
somewhere in firefox or reason why it would delete every time?

Many thanks!

On 5/18/09 3:53 PM,  "tmtownsend" <tmtownsend@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I've done the steps repeatedly and I keep getting to the key screen.  But
> then I just loop around after I enter the key.  It asks if I want to be part
> of a program, then an update screen.  But when I try to open entourage it
> says "This identity cannot be opened with this version of Entourage".  Yet
> word, excel, PP seem to work with limited functioning.  Any thoughts as to
> what is going on?

1) loop issue, see the options on this page:

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/error/setup_assistant.html>

2) "This identity cannot be opened with this version of Entourage" means you
need to upgrade.

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/error/identity_not_open.html>

> Also on a side note, every time I delete the two plist files and reboot- my
> firefox application erases.  Is there any way that some office 2008 embedded
> somewhere in firefox or reason why it would delete every time?

There should be no connection to removing those files and FireFox.

--
Diane

Ive had a hard time changing the code also.... I've done everything asked
regarding deleting plits files... They kept coming back everytime I started
office for mac... What I did is I opened the plist file found the product
key, deleted it, and put in the correct one... and that has seemed to work..
Hope this helps!

"buddyboy" wrote:

> "Diane Ross" wrote:
>
> > On 2/26/08 5:15 PM, in article ee8ee56.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
> > "mollycat@officeformac.com" <mollycat@officeformac.com> wrote:
> >
> > > How do I change the Product Key code and the User name of Microsoft Office
> > > 2008 once installed on Mac OSX 10.5.1?
> >
> > Delete these two files:
> >
> > ~:Library:Preferences:Microsoft:Office 2008:Microsoft Office 2008
> > Settings.plist
> >
> > where ~ is your home folder, and
> >
> > HD:Applications:Microsoft Office 2008:Office:OfficePID.plist
> > --
> > Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)
> > Entourage Help Page   <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>
> > Entourage Help Blog  <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/>
> >

> I deleted both of these files but yet still it does not ask me for a new
> product key, I was wondering what else I could do because I did the same
> thing for my buddy and as soon as I tried to open word after I deleted the
> two files it asked for all of the information again

0
Kish (4)
9/22/2009 8:36:06 PM
I work with snow leopard 10.6.2 where previous advice does not seem to work.
I can not find the files which should be deleted. Uninstall and reinstalling
of office 2008 does not work, it is not possible to enter a new product key.

"mollycat@officeformac.com" wrote:

> How do I change the Product Key code and the User name of Microsoft Office 2008 once installed on Mac OSX 10.5.1?

0
frank100 (1)
1/13/2010 7:00:02 PM
I'm also on 10.6.2 Snow Leopard and have tried everything; I've deleted the
files mentioned plus some others in my personal preferences folder someone
else suggested. I've tried editing the serial number directly in the text
file. I've completely uninstalled the program and started over.

No matter what I do, the same *&%! serial number keeps popping back up again.

HELP. Where is this zombie hiding??? I can't kill it no matter what I do!

"frank100" wrote:

> I work with snow leopard 10.6.2 where previous advice does not seem to work.
> I can not find the files which should be deleted. Uninstall and reinstalling
> of office 2008 does not work, it is not possible to enter a new product key.
>

> "mollycat@officeformac.com" wrote:
>
> > How do I change the Product Key code and the User name of Microsoft Office 2008 once installed on Mac OSX 10.5.1?

0
margie (21)

PROBLEMS after updating Office 2008
I can no longer open ANY of the office 2008 programs on my Mac osx!! When I click on a program - for example: Entourage - it takes me to the Customer Experience Improvement Program. I've responded "No, I don't want to participate at this time" and then clicked continue. Thereafter, I was taken to the Microsoft Office Setup Assistant. Following the instructions I registered with Microsoft but still cannot access any of the the Office 2008 programs! HELP! "Gayle" wrote: > I can no longer open ANY of the office 2008 programs on my Mac osx!! When I > click on a ...

Merging Two Office Data Files
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C3C6E7.505DB790 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Here is the situation: I've a desktop and a laptop. Before I bought the laptop I was using MS = Outlook on my desktop. Now that I'm using my laptop mostly, I would like = to have my old emails from my desktop Outlook merged with the laptop = Outlook emails. I don't want to replace the laptop outlook files with = the desktop outlook files is the folder - C:\Documents and = Settings\Laptop\Lo...

Microsoft CRM 3.0 Installation 11-08-07

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

How to stop "Help" accessing Office Online
Excel 2003. I'd like to restrict F1/Help to just searching the local help file. For example, with a stupidly simple example: =vlookup Press F1 Assistance appears, then if you hit the green arrow it goes to the online mode and searches the web.... really a pain. Esp. since my firewall blocked the search and thereafter Excel simply crashed. Try: Help|Microsoft Help|Online Content Settings|Online Content Category Turn off what you don't want. Steve wrote: > > Excel 2003. > > I'd like to restrict F1/Help to just searching the local help file. For > exampl...

Print Screen Key disabled

Over Time Pay rate 1.51?

Change position ID in HR

Document Viewer installer error