File Sharing between XP Pro and XP Home

I have a few questions concerning file sharing between XP Pro and XP Home in
a Workgroup environment.  I would really appreciate any help.

1)From what I'm gathering on the internet (I've read multiple articles) you
cannot even connect a Windows XP Home computer to a domain.  I'm I
interpreting this correctly?

2)I have a new server with XP Pro and 5 other computers with XP Home.  I
only have 3 computers (which includes the new XP Pro server) that really
need access to everything (or the main folders) on the server.  The other 3
computers need limited access.  If I purchase XP Pro for just the 2 computers
that need access to everything then I set up the folders to only allow access
to those computers can I accomplish special file/folder permissions just for
the 3 XP Pro computers without without having to purchase XP Pro for all the
computers?  The computers that need limited server access might be able to
see the folders in network places but it doesn't matter as long as they
cannot access the folders. This would still be in a workgroup instead of a
domain.  Would this work to allow only my XP Pro systems the full access and
have my XP Home systems with only limited access?

3. If I decide to purchase XP Pro for all my computers and set up a domain
is this a difficult task knowing I already have a workgroup established.

Thanks!

0
TGill (3)

Dear T,

You have hit on a newsgroup for Macintosh versions of Microsoft Office. It's
unlikely that anyone will answer your query, because we use the very
different Mac OS.

Cheers,
Clive Huggan
=============

On 24/10/06 8:38 AM, in article
0C4F59B0-6699-4756-A12F-25B5F4CA6F18@microsoft.com, "T Gill"
<TGill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have a few questions concerning file sharing between XP Pro and XP Home in
> a Workgroup environment.  I would really appreciate any help.
>
> 1)From what I'm gathering on the internet (I've read multiple articles) you
> cannot even connect a Windows XP Home computer to a domain.  I'm I
> interpreting this correctly?
>
> 2)I have a new server with XP Pro and 5 other computers with XP Home.  I
> only have 3 computers (which includes the new XP Pro server) that really
> need access to everything (or the main folders) on the server.  The other 3
> computers need limited access.  If I purchase XP Pro for just the 2 computers
> that need access to everything then I set up the folders to only allow access
> to those computers can I accomplish special file/folder permissions just for
> the 3 XP Pro computers without without having to purchase XP Pro for all the
> computers?  The computers that need limited server access might be able to
> see the folders in network places but it doesn't matter as long as they
> cannot access the folders. This would still be in a workgroup instead of a
> domain.  Would this work to allow only my XP Pro systems the full access and
> have my XP Home systems with only limited access?
>
> 3. If I decide to purchase XP Pro for all my computers and set up a domain
> is this a difficult task knowing I already have a workgroup established.
>
> Thanks!

Hi Tom:

On 24/10/06 8:38 AM, in article
0C4F59B0-6699-4756-A12F-25B5F4CA6F18@microsoft.com, "T Gill"
<TGill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have a few questions concerning file sharing between XP Pro and XP Home in
> a Workgroup environment.  I would really appreciate any help.
>
> 1)From what I'm gathering on the internet (I've read multiple articles) you
> cannot even connect a Windows XP Home computer to a domain.  I'm I
> interpreting this correctly?

That's correct.  Windows XP Home will refuse to authenticate to a domain
server.  However, it will connect just fine to a Work Group.

> 2)I have a new server with XP Pro and 5 other computers with XP Home.  I
> only have 3 computers (which includes the new XP Pro server) that really
> need access to everything (or the main folders) on the server.  The other 3
> computers need limited access.  If I purchase XP Pro for just the 2 computers
> that need access to everything then I set up the folders to only allow access
> to those computers can I accomplish special file/folder permissions just for
> the 3 XP Pro computers without without having to purchase XP Pro for all the
> computers?

You won't need XP Pro for ANY of the computers unless you decide to
configure one of them as a domain controller.

>  The computers that need limited server access might be able to
> see the folders in network places but it doesn't matter as long as they
> cannot access the folders. This would still be in a workgroup instead of a
> domain.  Would this work to allow only my XP Pro systems the full access and
> have my XP Home systems with only limited access?

No:  The User ID does that.  You need to assign each user their own User ID
and Password on the server.  That will determine what they can or cannot
see.

For more fine-grained control, disable "Simple File Sharing" in Windows
Explorer, then use the Administrative Tools control panel widget to
explicitly set up ownership groups.  Then assign the user IDs to the groups,
and adjust the folder access permissions for each group.

> 3. If I decide to purchase XP Pro for all my computers and set up a domain
> is this a difficult task knowing I already have a workgroup established.

It's like anything else: it's not difficult if you know what you're doing.
It's impossible if you don't.  You will have to repeat your setup procedure
for the domain.

If you like the easy life, you might consider a copy of Windows Small
Business Server.  It's exactly designed for this kind of situation and it
really is just a matter of plugging the CDs in in the correct order to get
it up and running.  It includes a wizard that will set up all the user IDs
and their permissions for you :-)

Those who know me at home will now be suffering a laughter-based injury
after all the rude things I have said about SBS and its pundits.  But
really, it was made for just the application you have.

Of course, you may find a Macintosh OS X server cheaper and requiring less
attention :-)

Cheers

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

0
john7143 (1072)

file permission error 05-19-10
I copied and pasted one page of text from the internet into a word doc, then edited it in word, with MS XP. tried to save it, and can't. got "file permission error." what the heck is this? never had this problem before. *Where* were you trying to save it? -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <...

I have been emailed some publisher files, but don't have publishe.
I have been emailed some publisher files, but don't have publisher. Does anyone know how I can view/print them? Can you email the person back and ask them to convert the file to a pdf file and then send it to you? "emalrola" <emalrola@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7FF6C778-EB6A-4868-9593-F6F24442BB06@microsoft.com... > I have been emailed some publisher files, but don't have publisher. > > Does anyone know how I can view/print them? Unfortuantely the sender of the files employed someone to 'clean up' her PC 2 weeks ago and ask...

Upgraded to Beta 2007 and files aren't being read
The files we created a week ago w/ the first Beta verson are now, not being read in the latest Beta upgrade. Any one having this issue or do you know a fix. How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Mqueen" <Mqueen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96800D36-7B62-4BEC-9572-22C8CF04B5E5@microsoft.com... > The files we...

Multiple popup alert windows Outlook XP
In Outlook 2000 I had one popup alert window for each meeting expiring. Now in Outlook XP I have one single popup window listing all the memo. Is it possible to set multiple popup alert windows in Outlook XP? Thanks, Mauro Nope and why would you want it back? I was really glad they changed it the one Reminder screen; it totally cleaned my Taskbar :-) -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Mauro" <pippo@pippo.it> wrote in message news...

SHFileOperation() & delete files #2
I have this code: CString deleteAll = "C:\\Temp\\*.temp"; SHFILEOPSTRUCT shFileOp; ZeroMemory(&shFileOp, sizeof(SHFILEOPSTRUCT)); shFileOp.hwnd = NULL; shFileOp.wFunc = FO_DELETE; shFileOp.pFrom = deleteAll; shFileOp.pTo = NULL; shFileOp.fFlags = FOF_NOCONFIRMATION | FOF_NOERRORUI | FOF_SILENT; SHFileOperation(&shFileOp); Well, it doesn't delete temp files any more. The strange thing is that it worked before and few days ago it stopped working. I don't know what I have changed in my code. :( This is how I create temp files: CFile f; BOOL ok = f.Open(fileName, CFi...

recursive serarch on a network directory with share permissions?
How would you do a search on a network directoru with share permissions? New to vbscript. Thanks, "as14177" <as14177@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C5E6557D-E78F-4E5B-A813-D7E6F927D2E0@microsoft.com... > How would you do a search on a network directoru with share permissions? > New > to vbscript. > > Thanks, Can you elaborate a little? What do you want to search for? What role do the permissions play? What operating system do you have? ...

Word X text converter for WordPerfect (wpd) files
Is there a text converter available for Word X that converts WordPerfect (wpd) files? Not that I know of There isn't a converter for Word to WordPerfect. I think your best bet is to have the WordPerfect users save the file as RTF and then e-mail it to you. You can open RTF in Word and then save it and send it back to be opened in WordPerfect. You could also try downloading a free copy of Corel WordPerfect 3.5 for Mac: <http://acmfiles.csusb.edu/pub/Macintosh/Applications/Corel/Corel_WP_35e.sea ..bin>. That program might allow you to open the WordPerfect file(s). If it does, sa...

why is publisher file black/white when converted to pdf?
All I see is empty White. Wots Your Real Problem? OS, PDF Converter, Printer, any other info that might give us a clue.? John G. "pam" <pam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8B32E08-84D9-41BB-AE9F-831F51C0B6F5@microsoft.com... > ...

converting publisher file to a word document (part II)
I have the same question as "Ajoy." Does anyone know how to convert a publisher file to a work document? Or, does anyone know how to convert a publisher file to a PDF file. Does that require specific software? Please advise You can do a "save as" but you will lose the formatting. And several of us know how to create .pdf files. And yes, it does require specific software. I use Adobe Acrobat Standard but there are some other .pdf creating software programs out there that are not as pricy. Sorry I don't have information on the other programs. "tearl" &...

Export/Import Acces Table to another Acces table/file
Hi, Is anybody can help me how to Export/import access table to another access table/file only using 1 click button?. I am pretty sure Visual Basic can do this. Thank's in advance, I am appreciated. KFT -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-reports/200707/1 On Jul 2, 7:13 am, "KimTong via AccessMonster.com" <u35279@uwe> wrote: > Hi, > > Is anybody can help me how to Export/import access table to another access > table/file only using 1 click button?. I am pretty sure Visual Basic can do > this. Than...

Home Depot Credit Card / CashEdge ??
When did Home Depot Credit Card start using CashEdge instead of Yodlee for the Money 2006 transaction download interface?? Anyone else out there have a Home Depot Credit Card account that quit downloading? ...

How to fix XP home edition
I was trying to update to Vista. Tried many times without success. Always crashed at the end and revert to XP. I think i have a problem with XP. Sometimes i have an error with svchost.exe unable to write to a certain memory. Also system is very slow to start. I would like to reload XP or fix it without having to go to the factory disk and restart from total scratch if possible. Anyone can help tks "sparky" <sparky@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4AA935D5-C2D0-45BE-928E-070B2816B720@microsoft.com... > I was trying to update to Vista. ...

Importing .ofx files to wrong account
I was importing .ofx files into Money 2004 when I imported one of them into the wrong account. I deleted the imported transactions from the account, but now when I try to re-import the file, it automatically puts the transactions into the wrong (although previously selected) account. Needless to say, it's quite irritating. How do I make it so the import asks which account is the target for the import? In microsoft.public.money, scope wrote: >I was importing .ofx files into Money 2004 when I >imported one of them into the wrong account. I deleted >the imported trans...

PDF file
I am working in excel2000 and want to save /create an existing file in PDF format so that when I sen it by email it cannot be edited or changed Please help Do you have Adobe Acrobat (not Reader) or one of the other applications to create PDF's? If so, you may save your spreadsheet as a PDF. If not, you may need to consider a different approach. -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "Steve BB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E46C185B-9AB3-4433-8F93-82CB024656E9@microsoft.com... > I am working in excel2000 and wa...

recover damaged excel file
I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Hi, what message do you get?, ask your IT department usually they backup all the files, did you send the file to somebody? "Nora_Italy" wrote: > I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no > way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Thank you Eduardo. I don't get any error message, the file just doesn't open. Unfortunatately we backup files only once a month and I created...

Convert Blu-Ray ISO files to WD TV for enjoying
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Convert Blu-Ray ISO files to WD TV for enjoying <br><br>Since the advent of WD TV Player, it has taken the fancy of public. As it well known, WD TV produced by Western Digital is a media player that plays audio, video and image files from connected USB devices on your TV in HD resolutions, including 720P, 1080i and 1080P. Even you can connect external storage like hard disc, portable devices, camcorders and etc. Nothing is much better than watching high definition movies via TV with your families! Nevertheless, with suc...

Do installation files expand into more than one file?
Are there any files in an XP installation CD or any of the SP's that during installation expand to be more than one file? If the answer is no, I guess I'm thinking of .exe files that install programs, and in doing so expand the single .exe file into lots of files that get saved in various folders. Does anything like that happen when installing Windows or a Service Pack? Perhaps when installing a .CA_ files or a .CH_ file? Thanks The date and time was Thursday, December 10, 2009 5:07:57 PM, and on a whim, mm pounded out on the keyboard: > Are there any fi...

how to wipe files?
I'm writing a util to wipe files, and noticed that other utilities of this sort write random data to the file. I would have thought simply zero-ing out the file would be enough, can anybody explain why random and/or crytographic data is written out to the file to "erase" it? Why is not zero-ing out the file enough? When you delete a file by either calling doing the dos command "del filename" or by deleting throught explorer, all that is happening is that the filename is taken out of the file allocation table, but the file itself is still on disk, that's how unera...

File Saving/Locking with Excel different between 2003 AND 2007>
We just moved over to 2007, within the last couple of months. Before, in 2003, it appeared that when you saved an existing file, it deleted that file, and saved a new copy. When file was open by someone else on the network, you would get a message about opening it up later, or opening it up read only, based on the fact that it was already opened by someone else. Now, with 2007, it appears that the existing file is opened, and changes are inserted into it, rather than dumping and creating a new one. Is there any way to change this back to the old method? Now with 2007, it ...

How large can a money file get, how many entries can it hold?
I've been using MS Money regliously since 1994. I've had every financial transaction recorded and its great to have the "history" of your spending/financial records so close. My MNY file is averaging about 7MB The question is: how much larger can it possibly get before money has issues with it? Is there a maximum filesize? How many transactions can a file hold? Should I be worried...or can I squeeze a few more years outa this file. I've often thought about truncating the file so it smaller and loads quicker and I ask myself "SELF... do I need records prior...

Preview .msg e-mail file in explorer
Hello, Does somebody know if there is a way (or a software) to preview - e-mails saved as files with the extension .msg by Microsoft Outlook - inside Windows Explorer (or a similar file browser?) Thanks in advance pascalv@sdf.lonestar.org <pascalv@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote: > Does somebody know if there is a way (or a software) to preview > > - e-mails saved as files with the extension .msg by Microsoft Outlook > > - inside Windows Explorer (or a similar file browser?) Only Outlook can open a .msg file and make sense of it, although using Notepad will show much of i...

Import Excel files into Money 2007
Some of the investments I made are not updatable via Internet because MSN does not provide data on some titles and funds I bought in Europe. I would like to import share price history into Money. Excel or csv or whatever format that may be compatible with Money. I know I can export Money into Excel. I would like to do the other way around. Not account transactions, but share price. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks, Well, I'll watch this thread to see if anybody else knows how. "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:477C49B5-C66E-44E2-80...

Access Denied when trying to write to file via Web Service
Forgive me if this seems trivial but I cannot seem to find an answer. For testing purposes, one of my methods in my Web Service writes to a file (at least tries). I am using the following line of code to create the text file: Dim sw As StreamWriter = New StreamWriter("c:\Accesstimes.txt") But the error i get back when trying to execute this line of code is the following: Access to the path "c:\Accesstimes.txt" is denied I am at a loss as to why the web service can't create and write to a file on the local drive. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Ma...

LICENSE FILE
MY DATABASE CRASHED SO I REINSTALLED STORE OPERATIONS 1.2 AND NOW WHEN I RING UP A SALE AND GET TO THE TENDER SCREEN IT SAYS CHECK LICENSE FILE ERROR IF I HIT ENTER I CAN BYPASS IT BUT IY IS VERY ANNOYING ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED ...

Is it at all possible to share .xls files and edit them w/o Excel Installed?
Is it at all possible to share .xls files and edit them w/o Excel Installed? Possibly with back end programming or any other means? Hi# you may have a look at OpenOffice (www.openoffice.org). This application is able to read/write Excel files. I don't think you want to go into the business developing your own spreadsheet application :-) >-----Original Message----- >Is it at all possible to share .xls files and edit them >w/o Excel Installed? Possibly with back end programming or >any other means? >. > "Zach Thiel" wrote... >Is it at all possible to...