File Name Length

Does anyone know if filenames can be longer than 31 characters in Office
2004?  Thanks.

In article <19bee01c41cec$47393e90$a401280a@phx.gbl>,
 "JM" <doubledawg9498@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know if filenames can be longer than 31 characters in Office
> 2004?  Thanks.

FIrst, you *can* have filenames longer than 31 characters in Office v.X
already - you just can't generate them. While v.X apps display a hash at
the end of a long filename, it keeps the filename intact when you save.

MS hasn't announced anything regarding long file names in 2004 yet, so
anyone who knows is not supposed to say, one way or the other. Anybody
who says, either doesn't know, or is breaking their NDA.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
4/9/2004 2:21:12 AM
Of anything that O'2004 might have, this is the first one they should
have tackled.  As someone said elsewhere, it is the most annoying
thing I encounter on a daily basis using my Mac and the most vexing
when you want to stay compatible with Windows colleagues and clients.

0
anonymous (74722)
4/25/2004 11:06:54 PM
In article <3f4001c42b1a$00454420$a601280a@phx.gbl>,
 "Pehr Jansson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Of anything that O'2004 might have, this is the first one they should
> have tackled.  As someone said elsewhere, it is the most annoying
> thing I encounter on a daily basis using my Mac and the most vexing
> when you want to stay compatible with Windows colleagues and clients.

Well, it's moderately high on my list, too, but certainly not the most
vexing problem. Very few of my clients use longer than 31 characters,
and those that do can't find the long file names on their own machine
half the time. Unicode's definitely higher on my list, I know a lot of
people want the Exchange features improved, and there are a few others.

That's why it's important to provide feedback to MacBU, so that they get
a feel for what a variety of people want.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
4/26/2004 2:46:04 AM
I agree 100% with how irritating this is - having just been working on
a slew of budget files in Excel which needed to be submitted back to
the powers-that-be with intact filenames (so they still linked to
their master documents) this really drives me up the wall. And just
day-to-day, 31 characters really isn't enough, especially with a file
extension. If Office 2004 fixes this, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I won't.
End of story.
0
rosmond (1)
5/16/2004 11:44:17 AM
On 5/16/04 4:44 AM, in article
f93493d0.0405160344.2a77587e@posting.google.com, "Richard Osmond"
<rosmond@mac.com> wrote:

> I agree 100% with how irritating this is - having just been working on
> a slew of budget files in Excel which needed to be submitted back to
> the powers-that-be with intact filenames (so they still linked to
> their master documents) this really drives me up the wall. And just
> day-to-day, 31 characters really isn't enough, especially with a file
> extension. If Office 2004 fixes this, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I won't.
> End of story.

Get your credit card ready.

--
Paul Berkowitz
MVP Entourage

Please "Reply To Newsgroup" to reply to this message. Emails will be
ignored.

PLEASE always state which version of Entourage you are using - **2004**, X
or 2001. It's often impossible to answer your questions otherwise.

0
berkowit (221)
5/16/2004 5:29:24 PM
 rosmond@mac.com (Richard Osmond) wrote:

> I agree 100% with how irritating this is - having just been working on
> a slew of budget files in Excel which needed to be submitted back to
> the powers-that-be with intact filenames (so they still linked to
> their master documents) this really drives me up the wall. And just
> day-to-day, 31 characters really isn't enough, especially with a file
> extension. If Office 2004 fixes this, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I won't.
> End of story.

I agree that the 31 character limit is very frustrating, especially with
Windows interoperability.

Long file names up to 255 characters are supported in Office 2004.

bill
--
William M. Smith
(Microsoft Interop MVP)

Opening Money 2000 file in Money 2007
I have Money 2007 Home & Business, version 16.0.150.1303. It seems to work fine except when I try and use it to open a money 2000 file that used UK pounds as the base currency. First I get a message saying it is converting the file, then it says I must specify an exchange rate for $/� which is not available online but when the currency screen comes up it says a file needed to run planner is missing or corrupted and the program closes. If I try and start the new converted file it goes straight to the currency screen with the same missing/corrupted planner file message and I can'...

vlookup: file moved or new one. keep cache
i have vlookup formula to external file, but what if that file moved or renamed?? how to keep vlookup to find what i need?? there is formula extra properties?? and is it possible to keep data once received? some cache, i mean if i have some table full already, all needed data is taken from other file, do not update this table any more. there is any better alternative to this formula + changes above? =VLOOKUP(K29;'C:\Data.xls]Data'!$A$5:$Z$568;12;FALSE) thank you. You can use indirect to make the workbook a parameter which you can put into cell A1. then you onl...

Workgroup File
I have an issue....and it's totally my BAD!!! If anyone could give me some advise how to fix this I would be very grateful. The place I work just recently switched out our computers and upgraded our software from Office 2000 to Office 2007. I had created several databases in the Access 2000 Version with securiity. So when I went to convert my database to Access 2007 (this is the version I now have), it would not let me convert because it said I needed Administrator Permissions. So I tried to create new databases by importing my information from the old to the new, and ...

Problems validating an xml file without specifying the default namespace.
Hi All, I'm trying to validate an xml document. I'm having trouble setting the default namespace of the xml document. If I hard encode the namespace in the xml file then everything works fine. But I can't do this because it breaks our old tools which validate the xml to a dtd (error saying the dtd doens't allow xmlns attribute on the root element). So I'm trying to add the default namespace to the xml file by code. As follows: string DefaultNameSpace = "http://www.mydefaultnamespace.com"; NameTable nt = new NameTable(); XmlNamespaceManager nsmgr = new XmlName...

Opening a selected file in Word from MFC app
Hi all, I've a simple app in which the user can select a file from a list. Then I want to open that file, using Word (as it's a Word document). Nothing too scary, but it's got me stumped. I've tried various samples & examples (automation et al) but have got nowhere. It seems to me that if I can simulate the behaviour of the "Run" box (from the Start-> prompt) then I should be able to just throw the file name at it (similar to double-clicking in Explorer) and all will be well. However, nothing works so far. Has anyone out there any advice for me (aside from...

Can not insert some PDF files into Outlook 2003
Acrobat 6.0 PRO, Windows XP, Office 2003 I get this error message: Can't create file: XXXXXX.PDF. Right click the folder you want to create the file in and then click properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder. We are trying to insert some PDF files into an E-Mail message, using Outlook 2003. The file(s) reside on a network drive (have even tried copying the file ot the local HD and testing). Only 3 particular files give this error message, while other PDF, Excel, or Word files insert with no problems. These are not links, but the actual files. And...

edit and deleting file.
I am have sharepoint 3.0 In sharepoint i have a document library where everyone can add documents. I need everyone to be able to see all documents in this library. But i need to have only the document owner or admin to be able to edit or delete the file. So with that i started to right some code in c#. But it does not work. The code is making it so that no one can edit or delete files. That is where i need help. I dont think i am getting the right user id. Here is the code that i have. using System; using System.Collections.Generic; using System.Linq; using System.Te...

Importing data from a pst file to a new profile
I'm hoping somone can help me untangle a mess I've made. Outlook 2007, Exchange Server 2007. Here's the story. Computer needed a reformat etc, so I saved all outlook data (about 1gb, over 200 folders) to a pst file. Did the reformat, installed Outlook and imported from the pst file whilst connected to my Exchange server (my big mistake perhaps?) and now I have TWO copies of absolutely everything. I've checked in the webmail interface, and there are two copies visible there too - I guess the server synced with this local copy or something. So now you can see I'm...

Cannot import .pst file into Outlook #2
I was in the process of importing a 1.52gb .pst file into Outlook whe it suddenly stopped loading and since then it will not load and lock up the application. I have scanned with scanpst.exe and it says tha the file is ok. Does anybody know how I can either load it or extrac the relevant folders, even if it meant losing some ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

slow address lookup and saving files outlook 2000
Hello Sometimes outlook is very slow on looking up addresses. I write some letters and then hit ctrl + k for lookup. That sometimes takes 30-45 seconds. Same happens sometimes with saving files from e-mails. It takes 30-45 seconds before the drop down menu in the save window is chooseable. We have a 2003 AD with Exchange 2000 Enterpris. Regards Magnus ...

how to aviod outlook pst file created locally?
I am using postfix as MTA and storing pst file on server. But everytime there is a network problem (ie. disconnect), outlook will create a new local pst file(coz it can't find the network path to the pst file). Because of that i had to manually go to reconfigure the default delivery to the correct path (after network back on line). I just want to know if there is a way to aviod outlook to not create a pst file while user still able to open outlook? Or is there a way to allow outlook automatically look for the pst on network (when LAN connection resotre)? Its a pain to manually re-configur...

Sending multiple files in multiple mails at once
The situation is the following: I have a ZIP which is to large to send by mail in once and FTP is in this case no option. So I remade the ZIP out of 5MB portions, ending with a large number of ZIP parts. Now I looking at a way to get the files send one by one, in single mail massages, but I don't want to make each mail one by one. Does any one knows a program for example, where you choose the file, set the recipients address and maybe more and then hit a button and . their all gone. Anyone any idea how to do this? Thanks in advance. Marc Boom ...

Tape Symbolic Name
I have three tape drives w/ symbolic names of tape0, tape1, and tape2. While running in a linux environment, there is no problem, but when running in WinXP, windows switches the symbolic names around, which ruins a tape read program I use. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks Jeremiah Thoman by the way, this is written in VC++ 2003 .Net ...

Corrupt file
Hello: Yesterday, I saved a Publisher 2002 file as I had every other day for the last week. today, I can open all other PUB files, but not this one. I have reinstalled Publisher. No cigar. Can anyone tell me if there is any way to salvage a seemingly corrupt file (several days of work; I backed up, but overwrote the old backup file). Is ther any place where a previous version (temp or the like) might have been saved? Thank you very much! Hans L. Publisher creates temp files. You might get lucky. It is in a folder similar to this, (XP) C:\WINNT\Temp You can try to recover a damaged f...

How to get old *.OST sync file working.
Some very important message saved an old OST sync file. Now i have working with a new ost file. I have try to get old outlook.ost working, but i can't ..... I need help for how to open previous OST file. Thanks a lot. You can't. .ost files are profile specific and cannot be opened if you have disconnected that profile and created a new one. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head ...

how do I link tab name to content of a cellt?
I would like to be able to set up a template where the name of the tab is the contents of a specific cell (e.g.) if I enter 2007 in A1 I want the tab name to become 2007 but if I change A1 to be 2010 the tab name should change too. You are better off doing it the other way around, which won't require a macro. Is that possible? See: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/return_the_worksheet_name_to_a_cell_in_microsoft_excel.htm ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "MadMurr" <MadMurr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7CFA2D86-AE04-4374-BF98-4058420...

shared workbook file wont open for one users
we have a shared workbook......and when one particular user tries to open it .......it starts to open and then closes. Now when i open the file under other accts its fine....and i lock to see who has it open under tool, share workbook, it shows that that user with the problem has it open. we log in to a terminal server and the file is on the server. but its just one user with this issue ... Please Help Sometimes the file that holds the toolbar customizations gets hosed. You could use windows start button|Find to look for *.xlb. Rename all you find to *.xlbOLD Then open exc...

Unable to open Excel file #4
Error message: File cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding. The file was not saved as read-only and the file is on a diskette. Sounds like a bad disk. Copy the disk to the hard drive somewhere an try to open there. -- kkkni ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kkknie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=754 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26520 Vic Cop...

Access to the [No Display Name] window was denied. Activity Tracking
We've setup activity tracking in GP 7.5, but for any third party products, if we deny security to one of those windows, we get the message: Access to the [No Display Name] window was denied. This works fine in GP 9.0 for the third party product. Is there anyway to populate a lookup table or something to make it work in 7.5? Thanks, Steven Vallarian Central Service Association ...

Unable to Resolve names when i attach a .doc/.xls document using Mail Recipient as at
When i am trying to attach a word/excel document as a attachment(File>>Sent To>>Mail Recipient(As Attachment)) a new outloo envolope opens with the file attached in it, however when i enter a address in To or CC, the same does not get resolved automatically. When i click on To i am unable to see GAL, all i can see is Outloo Address Book and Contact.However if i open a new messsage and type i some name in the TO box i get all the names resolved,and i can see GA as well. All the settings in Services TAb are perfect. Additional Info: Office 2000 Outlook set to use offline access K...

Money 2004 hangs when converting Money99 file
I just purchased the Money 2004 Deluxe in order to bring myself more up-to-date from my Money 99 version. After I installed, I started 2004 and it found my Money 99 file and told me it was about to convert it to 2004 (and make a backup copy). I then entered my password for access to the password protected file. it began to convert and then stopped responding. I tried to then open the new file with Money 2004 and the program also stopped responding. I have made a couple of backups and have tried the conversion again with no luck. Please help. Thanks Randy Define "hang.&quo...

Temp Files saved working in a Windows Network
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel When I save my office documents I worked on there is allways a second file saved which starts like ._ I suppose it is a temp file which is created from the autorecovery process. How can it be solved that these files will be deleted automatically? On 3/24/09 12:16 PM, in article 59b7045c.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "alieby@officeformac.com" <alieby@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: Intel > > When I save my office documents I ...

Access 2007 File Size Limit?
Does anyone know if Access 2007 has the same 2 GB file size limit that Access 2003 has? Thanks, -Joe -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com Hi, Joe. > Does anyone know if Access 2007 has the same 2 GB file size limit that > Access 2003 has? Yes. It's 2 GB max. HTH. Gunny See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs. See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials. Blogs: www.DataDevilDog.BlogSpot.com, www.DatabaseTips.BlogSpot.com http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/expert_contributors2.html for contact info. ...

What is the largest file size, I can Import to excel?
I have tryed to import a txt file (about 50MB) into excel and I recived error message. Something about 65000 lines or so.... Any idea? thanx /goran Goran, The maximum number of rows on a worksheet is 65,536 so you can't import more than that many records without writing code to work with multiple worksheets. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Goran" <remove_stjepanovic@broadpark.no> wrote in message news:eN7HO822DHA.2792@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I have tryed to import a txt file (about 50MB) int...

Possible to export .pst contents to my local file system?
I would like to export the contents of my .pst file to my local file system. So in Outlook I may have some folders/files like the following; "Personal Folders\stuff\msg1" "Personal Folders\stuff\msg2" "Personal Folders\stuff\msg3" .... I would like to export this so I would have the following (or something similar) on my local file system; "c:\Personal Folders\stuff\msg1.html" "c:\Personal Folders\stuff\msg2.html" "c:\Personal Folders\stuff\msg3.html" .... Is there any way of doing this? Thank you. ...