Excel Running Wild After Update

I ran the Office update via Auto Update.  Word and Powerpoint seem fine
but Excel attemtps to open every compatible file (and a few that
aren't) when I start it up.  After it overdoses on files it fails and
closes.  Any ideas on what to do other than reverting to an older
version, pre-update?

0
jfread (2)

Wild guess:

Look in Applications:Microsoft Office 2004:Office:Startup:Excel: . Are there
a bunch of random files in there?  I think Excel would try to open anything
in there on launch.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
3/23/2006 8:50:58 PM
In article <C0484A32.67CF0%daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID>,
 Daiya Mitchell <daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID> wrote:

> Look in Applications:Microsoft Office 2004:Office:Startup:Excel: . Are there
> a bunch of random files in there?  I think Excel would try to open anything
> in there on launch.

If not there, XL will also attempt to open all the files in the
alternate startup folder, if you've set one in Preferences/General.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
3/23/2006 9:09:55 PM
Terrific!  I had to remove all of the files from my alternate startup
folder in order to confuse Excel so that it couldn't find any files to
open.  Then I simply deleted the alternate startup folder from
Preferences/General.  I'm back in business.

Thanks!

0
jfread (2)

PDF Table to Excel Spreadsheet
This has been asked in numerous places all over the web but I have not found a workable solution. We have a mainframe system that generates PDF reports for billing. However, few people in our organization these days speak mainframe. We need Excel to do calculations on the data. I began working on a method for converting using UEdit Macros and an Excel macro because the fields are fixed-width. My attempts have been unsuccessful. Here is what I want to accomplish: -Copy a region of text from a PDF -Paste into Excel -Break the values out into the appropriate cells. http://www.google.com/sea...

Excel Drop Down Boxes #2
Question; does anybody know how to add additional data to a previous drop down box? I have created a form that has several drop down boxes a while ago, and due to some information that has been change I need to input more info in the drop down boxes but for some odd reason I cant remember how I executed these actions!! If it helps I am using Excel 2000. -- CRS ------------------------------------------------------------------------ CRS's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27444 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46...

Portfolio Manager "Update prices"
I am using "Microsoft Money 2006 Premium". In the "Portfolio Manager" if I click on "Update prices"-->"Update prices now", it come up with the "Update Status" dialog showing "Update complete". The problem is that none of my stocks are getting updated. If I click on the "Online updates" icon on the upper right corner and go to the "Review update results" page, there it shows that the last successful update for the "Quotes, News & Exchange Rates" was on 12/13/2006. All other account updates ar...

Internet Explorer 8 Update problem
Hi, I have recently updated my Windows XP Pro system to service pack 3 and Internet Explorer 8. Previously I had service pack 2 and Internet Explorer 7. Although IE 8 has some neat stuff, I have noticed when I click on a link (i.e. a story in MSN) a new window pops up, which is fine, but the minimize, maximize and close button don't appear unless I resize the window. Any suggestions? Has anyone ran into this issue? FYI, I did not uninstall IE 7 before updating to IE 8. Thanks for any help in advance? On Mon, 10 May 2010 20:51:21 -0400, Red Racer wrote: >...

Keep getting message to update graphics driver
A message keeps popping up in one of my machines in an account running in the background. It keeps saying, "warning: please update the display driver and program". It looks like it's coming from Nvidia about the graphics driver. So I updated to the latest 195.62 WHQL drivers from Nvidia, the installation went fine, and the drivers are running fine, but I still get the message! There's nothing newer out there, other than maybe some beta drivers. I'm running with an 8600GT video card from Palit. I found one similar problem, posted on Nvidia's own forum...

how do i update a chart area automatically
Hello, I have an offset formula I use to update a chart plotted by columns. I name the ranges and change the range areas to the offset formula...something like this =Offset(Sheet1! $A$2,0,0,CountA(Sheet1! $A:A)-1). Basically, makes all the rows available for charting minus the row with the label. I use this same technique for two columns...Column A acts as the Category x axis and Column B as the value axis. Works beautifully Now, I would like to come up with a way to plot by rows. My values would grow as new field names would be added across the columns...specifically, Jan, Feb,...

How do I use excel names with INDIRECT with charts
Hello, I want to create a Chart that does not directly reference cell-ranges (i.e. A1:A6), but excel-names that make the reference sheet-independent. My aim is to be able to copy one chart to other worksheets, which have their dataareas at the same places like the source-sheet. Problem: This works fine in cells but not in charts Excel name definition: =INDIRECT("R3C2";0):INDIRECT("R3C5";0) Any idea about this? Thanks in advance, Holger. You have to include the sheet name in the final formula that you want XL to use. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.co...

ot
Hi I have installed Visual Studio 2005 (standard upgrade edition) Upgraded from Visual c++ ver 5 professional edition. This product does not appear iin my products list on the Microsoft products on the microsoft upgrade page. Any idea how to update this product ?. Regards Terry > I have installed Visual Studio 2005 (standard upgrade edition) > Upgraded from Visual c++ ver 5 professional edition. > > This product does not appear iin my products list on the Microsoft > products on the microsoft upgrade page. > > Any idea how to update this product ?. > Are you ...

Plaxo Replacement / How to get others to update their details
Hi there, This time of year I usually use my old version of Plaxo to get everyone to update their contact details in my Outlook. If you're unaware of how it works - this is what happens. An email goes out to all your contacts (1200 in my case!). Then that person clicks on a link and they see their details on a webpage in which they can update/add/delete any details that have changed. Stuff like jobs, different numbers, addresses etc. As you can imagine this is really handy this time of the year with Christmas Cards! Plaxo have stopped supporting this older system now and doe...

SQL Update GL Account Decimal Places
I have a situation where, during the initial setup, my VAR imported our Chart of Accounts and the field named "DECPLAS" was filled with a "2". I feel that it should be a "0". I need the "0" so that I have two decimal places. The 2 only allows 1 decimal place. What would be required to change the 2's to 0's. Can I just run a SQL update statement to change them. Is there another way? What could break if I ran a SQL statement? Any thought would be appreicated. GP9.0 sp3 -- Christian S South Carolina Christian, You should be fine up...

CDN Payroll Tax updates round 2
Wow...didnt realize we update our taxes every month here in Canada anyone else have the pleasure of installing this. Personally just noticed now that I have access to the download section of Customer Source again.... Tami ...

Excel
i use Excel with office xp. i have a form we have made that requires client Name, Address, Phone, Fax etc etc etc... currently i keep all those contacts within my outlook contacts... is there a way i can type in the client business name in that cell, and have excel do one of the following: autofill with available address, phone, fax, PC, City/Town, contact... or... give me a choice of available contact... keep in mind, the Address, Phone, Fax, PC, City, Contact Name are all different rows and colums... Any thoughts Big One method....... Export your Contacts from Outlook as a *.CSV f...

Excel VB Code Error
I am trying to create a .csv file from an Excel workbook using a VB module and am wondering if someone can tell me what's wrong with the below code: Public Sub CSV2() Application.DisplayAlerts = False Sheets.Add ActiveSheet.Name = "Temp_10001" For Each ws In Worksheets If ws.Name <> "Temp_10001" Then ws.UsedRange.Copy Sheets("Temp_10001").Range("A1").Activate x = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count If x > 1 Then ActiveCell.Offset(x, 0).Select ActiveCell.PasteSpec...

Problems saving excel file from outlook
I have an EU that whenever he saves an excel file from outlook, it will rename the file (by adding the number "2" at the end of the file "file2.xls") and it also changes all the embedding links in the document. (The embedding link of F:\users\file.xls changes to c:\documents and settings\file.xls) Are you setting a Hyperlink base for your links? See Menu > File > Property > Summary tab. Put the original folder location there and when you move or save the file the links will not be renamed. Also assigning a letter to the drive can cause problems (not ...

Missing something basic
Working with Access 2003. I have a table of users, their phone numbers, and job classes called tblUsers. A query extracts that information into qryUsers. I have a form that uses the query as the record source called frmUsers. The form only contains a single combobox so someone can select the user for which they wish to view data in other forms. It works fine for the first user on the list in the combobox. Selecting any other user in the combobox causes the first record in the table to change to that user's name. For example: The table and the query both contain: Timmy Bobby ...

Excel tab as windows
Is there a way while running Excel to be working on one tab and open another tab as a smaller window that is always on top. So I can enter information in both tabs without having to minimize, maximize, or switch back & forth? Thanks C. Fillmore Hi you could align the windows so you can see both at the same time. But a 'always on top' option does not exist AFAIK -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany surveyorinva wrote: > Is there a way while running Excel to be working on one tab and open > another tab as a smaller window that is always on top. So I can > enter in...

can cvs files be opened using excel viewer
i have a user who cannot open cvs files with excel viewer but can ope with the full version of excel...anyone experienced this problem and i so, can you pls post the resolution -- darrie ----------------------------------------------------------------------- darriel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2388 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37522 There is nothing in the description of the Excel Viewer to suggest that it can read anything other than true XLS files. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;...

how do i search an excel sheet for links to another spreadhseet?
Is there a Find function that allows me to look for links in a sheet? When I can't find links, I'll use Bill Manville's FindLink program: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm Flutie99 wrote: > > Is there a Find function that allows me to look for links in a sheet? -- Dave Peterson ...

Open & update another file (through macro) while running macro
I am using MS Excel 2003 and I need help to solve my problem. One excel file (suppose A.xls) in which I’ll update my graph and the data is available in another file (suppose B.xls). What I am doing (through macro) is that I have created one button (in A.xls) and when I pressed it; its open the file B.xls (the data file) and at their I select month from drop down from which its update the pivot table based on the selection month and then same I was doing with another data excel file (suppose C.xls). Query : Is there any solution that when I pressed button from file A.xls its ...

Bulk Updates
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00D5_01C38666.B1E5CF00 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_00D6_01C38666.B1E5CF00" ------=_NextPart_001_00D6_01C38666.B1E5CF00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Guys, How could I update a lot of records at once? (something faster than = updating a single object crmobject.Update(xml)) I know I can go into the DB and find that field but is there a = cleaner way? Cheers, Angus=20 =20 =20 =20...

Excel Reader scroll bar???
I'm using an Excel viewer to read e-mail attachments from my home office. I don't have Excel installed on my machine, only the viewer. Often I do not have the horizontal scroll bar. I have tried maximizing the window and still no luck. Any solutions for this? Thanks ...

updating #2
My microsoft money mutual fund page does not update anymore. Is there any reason? I did not change anything Thanks Dada ...

data extraction from excel
I need to pull information from one collumn. If the collumn is comprised of yes's and no's, can excel create a list of just the yes's? Try something like this: Assuming your list is in A1:B100, with A1: Question B1: Response C1: Response C2: Yes D1: Question (the same col heading as A1) E1: Response (the same col heading as B1) Select your list (A1:B100) Data>Filter>Advanced Filter List Range: (already selected) Criteria Range: C1:C2 Click the [OK] button to filter the list in place. OR To copy the matching records to another area: Click: Copy to another location Copy...

batch importing of mailing lists to Excel
I've got a mailing list of around 1000 names, stored in both Word and Entourage like this: First Name Last Name <e-mail address> Once I’ve eliminated the < >, do I then have to individually copy & paste (or type) all the info in three Excel columns? Or is there a simpler solution for batch importing of mailing lists to the Excel spreadsheet? "bgsignal" wrote: > I've got a mailing list of around 1000 names, stored in both Word and > Entourage like this: First Name Last Name <e-mail address> > Once I’ve eliminated the < >, do I then ...

Excel Slooooow. It takes 4 to 6 seconds to perform each input or command
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have just installed Excel 2008 on a new installation of Snow Leopard and it does not work properly. It takes ages to register every input or command, like a large Lag. <br><br>EG. each figure or text, input into cells takes 4 seconds from hitting enter to accepting the input. Changing the width of a column takes 6 seconds from letting go of the mouse after dragging to the new width. etc etc. <br><br>I have checked for updates. Any ideas? > I have just installed Excel 2008 on a n...