Excel in OS X

When I click on Format - Cells all I get is the sun spiral.
The only way to get rid of it is Force Quit. Needless to
           say I can't format dates or numbers.

Hi Merritt,

Take visit to http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx and get the
updates:
10.1.2
10.1.4
10.1.5

Install them in that order, then run Disk Utility First Aid to Repair
permissions. Let us know with a reply posting whether that fixes things for
you.

-Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

All responses should be made to this newsgroup within the same thread.
Thanks.

About Microsoft MVPs:
http://www.mvps.org/

Before posting a "new" topic please be sure to search Google Groups to see
if your question has already been answered.

An Excel add-in is available to help with this task.
<http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm>

----------
In article <00d701c3d302$909253d0$a601280a@phx.gbl>, "Merritt Nequette"
<lambquette@earthlink.net> wrote:

> When I click on Format - Cells all I get is the sun spiral.
> The only way to get rid of it is Force Quit. Needless to
>            say I can't format dates or numbers.
0
goldkey74 (611)
1/5/2004 12:46:13 AM
Jim,

I am already running 10.3.1.  I have downloaded 10.3.2 but
have been unable to open it with Disk Utility or anything
else -- says the package is locked.  But that is another
problem.

Merritt

0
anonymous (74722)
1/5/2004 7:36:12 PM
Hi

Numbers can be confusing, so I am sorry that I was not clear.

10.3.1 refers to the version of MacOSX that you are using. You'll find
this by clicking once on the desktop then looking in the apple menu in
the upper left corner and choosing "about this Mac"

The updates I was referring to are updates that have come out for
Microsoft Office. You can download them from this web site:
<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx#OfficeX>

The Microsoft updates are not available from the software update control
panel in MacOSX.

-Jim

> Jim,
>
> I am already running 10.3.1.  I have downloaded 10.3.2 but
> have been unable to open it with Disk Utility or anything
> else -- says the package is locked.  But that is another
> problem.
>
> Merritt

0
goldkey74 (611)
1/5/2004 8:16:11 PM
Jim,

I downloaded the three updates, and they were all
successful although I don't see any numbers on the Office
or Excel info pages.  My Disk Utility First Aid says it
does not support Classic and the other Disk Utility only
gives me the spinning disk that I have in Excel.  The
problem still exists in Excel that I can't format cells.

Merritt

I have also used the Disk Utility Repair from the original
OS X CD Installer.  Problem still exists.

>Merritt

Hi again,

Are you running any programs that enhance MacOSX? These are sometimes
called "haxies." If you are, please disable them and see if there is a
conflict.

There seems to be something on your Mac that is interfering with normal
operation of Excel.  Did this problem begin after you installed a new
program?

-Jim

Merritt Nequette wrote:
> [...]
0
goldkey74 (611)
1/8/2004 3:34:07 PM
I can't remember installing anything recently, other than
Panther.  It may have been that because I have these
spreeadsheets that go back a while.  I have had to change
the fonts because I was using a Helvetica Narrow that  will
not print in OS X.  I have changed to Arial Narrow and that
works fine for printing.  However, the date information was
displayed differently and when I tried to change that
column to mm/dd/yyyy the screen wouldn't come down.  Other
than the upgrades you suggested for Office, the only change
I have made is the OS.

Merritt

Hi

Usually bad fonts cause office applications to simply quit, but I suppose a
font could cause a hang as well.

Since fonts are the only thing you've changed, try removing the fonts you
added and see if that fixes things. If it does, put them back one at a time
until you find the one causing the problem. Don't use that one.

In article <035901c3d634$ee217780$a501280a@phx.gbl>, "Merritt Nequette"
<lambquette@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I can't remember installing anything recently, other than
> Panther.  It may have been that because I have these
> spreeadsheets that go back a while.  I have had to change
> the fonts because I was using a Helvetica Narrow that  will
> not print in OS X.  I have changed to Arial Narrow and that
> works fine for printing.  However, the date information was
> displayed differently and when I tried to change that
> column to mm/dd/yyyy the screen wouldn't come down.  Other
> than the upgrades you suggested for Office, the only change
> I have made is the OS.
>
> Merritt

0
goldkey74 (611)

Excel Regional Date Format Options
A client of ours in NZ is complaining that date format options for English (New Zealand) have changed from older versions of excel (they are using 2003) Some of their spreadsheets have dates formatted as dd-mmm-yy, mmm-yy and dddd,dd,mmm but these options do not exist anymore. Is there anyway to add options to this list without using the custom format option? Thanks, Jesse I just compared the Excel 97 and Excel 2003 built-in date formats and they are mostly unchanged. 2003 has a few more but I don't think there were any subtractions. The formats dd-mmm-yy and mmm-yy are righ...

How chart time scale x-axis with another date serie
Hello all. I have this problem, I will need to create this chart that I don't know how to. Serie 1 is below which needs to be time scaled Date Count 1/1/2006 12 1/2/2006 3 1/3/2006 5 2/1/2006 18 2/3/2006 4 2/18/2006 9 4/1/2006 18 7/4/2006 38 Serie 2 - needs to plot the three dates in serie 1's time scaled X-Axis with symbols. 1/31/2006 2/18/2006 4/2/2006 I will look something like you have a line of count on a time-scaled chart, with 3 dates point in the x-axis. Please ...

Excel sheet truncated after copying to powerpoint slide
Hi, We are using Office 2000 with sp3. When we copy excel sheet to power point slide, some of the rows and colums are truncated. Also the font size is changed. We can see only some part of the sheet. Let me know if anybody faced this problem.. Thanks in advance Shekar. Debra Dalgleish posted this link that you may want to review: http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00068.htm Microsoft wrote: > > Hi, > > We are using Office 2000 with sp3. When we copy excel sheet to power point > slide, some of the rows and colums are truncated. Also the font size is > changed. We can s...

how to edit my x-axis data on a line graph
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel my x axis data on my graph is just showing numbers 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11.... and it is suppose to show the years. I can't figure out how to change these values ...

How to create a connection point in Excel
When I group autoshapes the group itself does not have connection points. A connector connects to one of the grouped shapes instead. So, the connector beginconnecedshape (or endconnectedshape) property contains the name of the contained shape and not the name of the group. Is there a way to create connection points for a group? Alternatively, is it possible to change a group into a single shape with connection points? ...

Count problems[Excel 97]
Hi there, I did a search on the forum to find an answer to my question but didn' find anything. Here is my prob : Lets say I got this page-> ___a___b_____c__d__ 1 Name Type Job bla 2 Name Type Job bla 3 Name Type Job bla 4 Name Type Job bla 5 Name Type Job bob I want a Cell to write how many row I got( 5 in this exemple) and onl count the cells with bla in the D column(4 in this exemple). Sorry if I'm not really clear but if you can help me feel free t answer :) thx, Tulkas -- Tulka -----------------------------------------------------------...

Viewing an Excel sheet w/out all the empty fields...
How do you create a spreadsheet that only shows the fileds with data in them? -How do you get rid of all the empty rows/columns, to ease viewing for those who are easily confused by excel spreadsheets? (I don't know how else to emaplin my question... I just don't want the extra columns & rows there, if that's possible...) Please help... Hi! >I just don't want the extra columns & rows there, if that's possible... Just hide them! Suppose the last column in your sheet that contains data is column H. You can hide columns I:IV so that after column H all you ...

Data from Access query to Excel
To pull data from an Access 2003 database, I have created the queries in Access, then import into Excel. The problem is that all the numbers that are pulled into Excel are text and need to convert them into numbers to run formulas on. I have converted a few sheets by hand, but, some have will over 50,000 rows. Is there a function to select all number colums (the colums are the same through out the sheets) and convert? Thanks There are instructions here for converting text to numbers: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html You can select all the columns, and only the num...

Excel question #9
Is there a way that I can transpose the order of the values in a cell? For example I have the values of 10.200.13.1 in a cell and I want to transpose(not sure if that is the correct term or not) the order of the values in the cell so that they appear as 1.13.200.10. thanks for any help as I have literally 4 pages of these kind of values that I have to flip. -- Brian blanktree at hotmail dot com Hi try the following user defined function from John Walkenbach's book Excel 2000 formulas (great resource by the way): Option Explicit Function REVERSETEXT(text) As String ' R...

How to view the code for excel built-in functions?
Is it possible? -For example the function PMT(). thanks. No, the code is compiled, so it would likely be less than useful anyway. About the best you can do is check out the equations used in Help (see "PV"). In article <OSU3OXOBGHA.1676@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "serdar" <s@s.com> wrote: > Is it possible? -For example the function PMT(). > thanks. ...

Excel color palette missing colors
Opening a workbook with text formatted in color (orange) defaults to gray. Examination of the color palette shows that that shade of orange is missing from the palette itself. Exiting Excel and restarting it sometimes solves the problem. Text rendered in orange is orange again and the color swatch is back in the palette. User has tried rebooting the system too. ...

How do I convert time (hh:mm) to value ($$) in Excel?
Would like to calculate cost of time. Eg. Cost for production down time per minute is $100. Says production doen for 3.5 hrs, what is formula shall I apply in order to generate the cost (in $$). =3.5*60*100 "ahfen79" wrote: > Would like to calculate cost of time. Eg. Cost for production down time per > minute is $100. Says production doen for 3.5 hrs, what is formula shall I > apply in order to generate the cost (in $$). =(3.5/24)*60*100 -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "ahfen79" <ahfen79@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

Where can I get UNLIMITED Excel stock qoutes?
The Excel Add-in that allows you to retrieve stock qoutes is limited in taht it only allows you to get about 250 qoutes at a time. How can I get unlimited qoutes in a format compatible with excel? Z There's a program called Historical Stock Quotes which can create tab or comma delimited files that can be read into Excel. If you want something that updates automatically within Excel, you may have to buy an add-in. Have you searched the web? On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 12:18:23 -0800, ZouBCivil <ZouBCivil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >The Excel Add-in that allows you to retriev...

How to change default printing parameters on Excel & ......
How to change the default printing parameters on Excel & keep them changed for future workbooks. Example: Normally I use Printing margins 0.25 on all directions, but default printing margins are 0.75. I want to change them to set 0.25 as DEFAULT. If you start a new workbook and change the page layout (for all the sheets), you can save it into your XLStart folder as Book.xlt. Excel will use that as the basis for new workbooks. You can change a lot of settings that way--including orientation, headers/footers.... Amjad wrote: > > How to change the default printing parameters ...

Excel 'hangs' when deleting a row
when i delete a row in excel 2000, everything locks up! and when lookup at Task Manager/Processes, it's MEM USAGE goes up to 22K o more! i tried doing it in another file but i experienced no error. the dat is in LAN. all data are filtered when the deletion began. however i ca delete files before. please help, anyone.... -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com The best thing is to free up memory (assuming your file is large). Clos all applications you do not require at the time and any workbooks no in use. Dunca -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Excel and NPV
Hi, I have a problem regarding the NPV function on Excel. Does anyone know how to use the function if the interest rate changes over a period of 20 years. Say for example, for the first 8 years the interest rate is 8%, then for the next 5 it's 12%, and for the last 7 it's 14%. It would be great if any one can me with this! thanks! As far as I can tell, there is no way you can vary the discount rate in the NPV function in Excel. In fact it is very difficult to model this in any calculation tool. Here is an interesting article which may help you see the difficulty; http://...

Paths to becoming an Excel Expert
Dear community I am a retired accountant, and have used Excel for many years, including power user, macro and VBA development. I would like to specialise in this field + maybe delivering Excel training, maybe offering my services as a freelance. What is the best path to develop this expertise? Is there a worthwhile Microsoft Certification route - which I find confusing? And finally is it worth sticking with VBA which seems to be on the back burner now? Thanks for any suggestions. First, some links to several "Excel Experts" www.chandoo.org www.peltiertech.co...

autoformatting issues in excel
How do I input '12-1' in excel without it autoformatting my input to '1-Dec'? Precede entry with apostrophe ' Regards, Peo Sjoblom "student" wrote: > How do I input '12-1' in excel without it autoformatting my input to '1-Dec'? ...

Excel (Office Home & Student 2007)
Question 1. Can I have an Excel Spreadsheet sort alphabetically? How? Question 2. Does anyone know where the updates are for Office? Thanks in advance. Dave __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5046 (20100421) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com Please see "Sort" and "Updates" in Excel Help. Either press F1 or click on the little white and blue question mark in the upper right corner. David Dyke wrote: > Question 1. Can I have an Excel Spr...

highlighting rows in excel
I've got the following type of data: id name address postcode 1 davie london lon34 1 davo glasgow ga23 3 tester manchester ma45 3 tas sfdfs sdfs 4 adssf 4asfd sf 4 dfsdf sdfsdf sdfh44 How can I highlight the rows with 1, 1, 3, 3, and 4,4 with alternating background colours? for example the first match would be blue(1,1) the second match would be yellow(2,2) the third match would switch back to blue (3...

Open excel file
Hi, I want to open excel file using a commnad button placed in a form. I have read the other questions to this to use runapplication. But, what I am looking for is as follows: i have tax database which contain the taxpayer name, taxyear and the Taxid number. I have placed this table in a form. The tax caluclations are made in excel and stored in a particular folder say named, Tax_comp and with filenames Taxpayer_year.xlsx. I want to place a command button on the form, and when the user clicks the command button, i want the particular tax payer excel tax computation file sto...

Cell background shading in Excel
Why is it that the background shading colors available under the Paintbucket Icon chjange from file to file? Also, how can I add some of the colors to the paintbucket that are availabe under the format/cells/pattern pulldown? Colors are a Workbook-level property, so you can change the color palette for any workbook. Choose Tools/Options/Colors... and modify the colors to your hearts' content. You can also import another workbook's color palette from that dialog. Note however, that there are only 56 bins in the color palette, so you can only use 56 colors at a time. The paint b...

File folder info. in Excel workbook?
Good day all. Excel 2007. XP Pro. Is there a way to have all available excel files in a particular folder listed (updated in real time) in an excel spreadsheet where the user can click on one or more of them to open those files or at least retrieve specific data from them? I have a situation where files representing cost centres and each month of the year need to present data into a worksheet used for reporting purposes. So potentially 5 x 12 = 60 files. But these are only created as the months pass. so at the end of month1 there would only be the 5 files, month 2 there would be...