Excel+Word 10.1.5 toolbar icons: no Entourage-like interp?

In Entourage X, if I point the mouse at an icon in a toolbar and pause, a
few words appear that interpret what the tool is or does.  But if I try to
do the same in Excel 10.1.5 or Word 10.1.5, I see nothing.

Is there something one can see while working in either Word or Excel, that
makes clear what the default toolbar icons do?

Or is there a chart that one can print showing the default toolbar icons
with one or couple-word interpretations?

0
nnager (12)

In article <BBEE3443.E6E5%nnager@NoXSpXam.fullerton.edu>,
 "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D." <nnager@NoXSpXam.fullerton.edu> wrote:

> In Entourage X, if I point the mouse at an icon in a toolbar and pause, a
> few words appear that interpret what the tool is or does.  But if I try to
> do the same in Excel 10.1.5 or Word 10.1.5, I see nothing.
>
> Is there something one can see while working in either Word or Excel, that
> makes clear what the default toolbar icons do?
>
> Or is there a chart that one can print showing the default toolbar icons
> with one or couple-word interpretations?

Hmm...I could have sworn that both XL and Word had a Show Tooltips
setting in the Preferences/General tab, but they're not there.

You can reset tooltips to show by typing OPT-F11 to open the Visual
Basic Editor, choosing View/Immediate Window, and typing or pasting

    CommandBars.DisplayTooltips = True

followed by Return.

This is an office-wide setting (except Entourage), so it will turn
on tooltips in both XL and Word, regardless which application you
use.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
11/29/2003 10:08:05 PM
"J.E. McGimpsey" wrote:

> In article <BBEE3443.E6E5%nnager@NoXSpXam.fullerton.edu>,
> "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D." <nnager@NoXSpXam.fullerton.edu> wrote:
>
>> In Entourage X, if I point the mouse at an icon in a toolbar and pause, a
>> few words appear that interpret what the tool is or does.  But if I try to
>> do the same in Excel 10.1.5 or Word 10.1.5, I see nothing.
>>
>> Is there something one can see while working in either Word or Excel, that
>> makes clear what the default toolbar icons do?
>>
>> Or is there a chart that one can print showing the default toolbar icons
>> with one or couple-word interpretations?
>>

> Hmm...I could have sworn that both XL and Word had a Show Tooltips
> setting in the Preferences/General tab, but they're not there.

In Word 2001, show Screentips is under the View tab in Prefs.  Anything
there in X?
DM

> You can reset tooltips to show by typing OPT-F11 to open the Visual
> Basic Editor, choosing View/Immediate Window, and typing or pasting
>
>   CommandBars.DisplayTooltips = True
>
> followed by Return.
>
> This is an office-wide setting (except Entourage), so it will turn
> on tooltips in both XL and Word, regardless which application you
> use.

On 11/29/03 3:01 PM, in article
BBEE8F82.17F76%dayomitchell_1997@NOhotmailSPAM.com, "Dayo Mitchell"
<dayomitchell_1997@NOhotmailSPAM.com> wrote:
> In Word 2001, show Screentips is under the View tab in Prefs.  Anything
> there in X?  DM

In Word 10.1.5, Show Screen Tips "displays reviewing comments in yellow
popup boxes when you rest pointer above comments . . . ."  Apparently, it's
used by people whose drafts are submitted to others for review comments.  It
was checked by default.  I just unchecked it.

I couldn't find anything else in View preferences in 10.1.5 that came close.
Norm

> "J.E. McGimpsey" wrote:
>
>> In article <BBEE3443.E6E5%nnager@NoXSpXam.fullerton.edu>,
>> "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D." <nnager@NoXSpXam.fullerton.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> In Entourage X, if I point the mouse at an icon in a toolbar and pause, a
>>> few words appear that interpret what the tool is or does.  But if I try to
>>> do the same in Excel 10.1.5 or Word 10.1.5, I see nothing.
>>>
>>> Is there something one can see while working in either Word or Excel, that
>>> makes clear what the default toolbar icons do?
>>>
>>> Or is there a chart that one can print showing the default toolbar icons
>>> with one or couple-word interpretations?
>>>

>> Hmm...I could have sworn that both XL and Word had a Show Tooltips
>> setting in the Preferences/General tab, but they're not there.
>

>> You can reset tooltips to show by typing OPT-F11 to open the Visual
>> Basic Editor, choosing View/Immediate Window, and typing or pasting
>>
>>   CommandBars.DisplayTooltips = True
>>
>> followed by Return.
>>
>> This is an office-wide setting (except Entourage), so it will turn
>> on tooltips in both XL and Word, regardless which application you
>> use.

0
nnager1 (5)
11/29/2003 11:22:54 PM
Lovely!  That works!

If  Microsoft developers can't create such a preference in the next version
after 10.1.5, at the least they should include something in the Help program
or FAQs cross-indexed under toolbar, icons, tips, tool, tooltips.

I vaguely remember something in past versions of Office for Macintosh.

Thank you so very much for your very prompt and exceptionally thoughtful
counsel.   I went through hours of frustration searching Microsoft's
webpages and other websites on Excel.
On 11/29/03 2:08 PM, in article
jemcgimpsey-AA9E09.15080529112003@msnews.microsoft.com, "J.E. McGimpsey"
<jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote:

> You can reset tooltips to show by typing OPT-F11 to open the Visual
> Basic Editor, choosing View/Immediate Window, and typing or pasting
>
>   CommandBars.DisplayTooltips = True
>
> followed by Return.
>
> This is an office-wide setting (except Entourage), so it will turn
> on tooltips in both XL and Word, regardless which application you
> use.

> In article <BBEE3443.E6E5%nnager@NoXSpXam.fullerton.edu>,
> "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D." <nnager@NoXSpXam.fullerton.edu> wrote:
>
>> In Entourage X, if I point the mouse at an icon in a toolbar and pause, a
>> few words appear that interpret what the tool is or does.  But if I try to
>> do the same in Excel 10.1.5 or Word 10.1.5, I see nothing.
>>
>> Is there something one can see while working in either Word or Excel, that
>> makes clear what the default toolbar icons do?
>>
>> Or is there a chart that one can print showing the default toolbar icons
>> with one or couple-word interpretations?

0
nnager (12)
11/29/2003 11:46:57 PM
In article <BBEE8F82.17F76%dayomitchell_1997@NOhotmailSPAM.com>,
 Dayo Mitchell <dayomitchell_1997@NOhotmailSPAM.com> wrote:

> In Word 2001, show Screentips is under the View tab in Prefs.  Anything
> there in X?

Different beastie. However, the right answer is that Tools/Customize
has a checkbox for "Show ScreenTips on Toolbars". It sets the
Office-wide (well, Word and XL at least) tooltip setting.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
11/29/2003 11:55:02 PM
In article
<jemcgimpsey-AA9E09.15080529112003@msnews.microsoft.com>,
 "J.E. McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote:

> Hmm...I could have sworn that both XL and Word had a Show Tooltips
> setting in the Preferences/General tab, but they're not there.

DUH!

Tools/Customize, check the Show ScreenTips on Toolbars checkbox.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
11/29/2003 11:55:45 PM
In article <BBEE6FF1.E704%nnager@NoXSpXam.fullerton.edu>,
 "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D." <nnager@NoXSpXam.fullerton.edu> wrote:

> If  Microsoft developers can't create such a preference in the next version
> after 10.1.5, at the least they should include something in the Help program
> or FAQs cross-indexed under toolbar, icons, tips, tool, tooltips.
>
> I vaguely remember something in past versions of Office for Macintosh.
>
> Thank you so very much for your very prompt and exceptionally thoughtful
> counsel.   I went through hours of frustration searching Microsoft's
> webpages and other websites on Excel.

Just for the archives, note my other post in which I acknowledge my
airheadedness in fortgetting that this preference could be set using
Tools/Customize and checking the Show ScreenTips on Toolbars
checkbox.

Why it's not in the Preferences, I don't know, but it is
customizable.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
11/30/2003 12:05:03 AM
"J.E. McGimpsey" wrote:

> In article <BBEE8F82.17F76%dayomitchell_1997@NOhotmailSPAM.com>,
> Dayo Mitchell <dayomitchell_1997@NOhotmailSPAM.com> wrote:
>
>> In Word 2001, show Screentips is under the View tab in Prefs.  Anything
>> there in X?
>
> Different beastie. However, the right answer is that Tools/Customize
> has a checkbox for "Show ScreenTips on Toolbars". It sets the
> Office-wide (well, Word and XL at least) tooltip setting.

Thank you!  I only just turned that on the other day, but forgot where I
found it.

Dayo

Purchased Office 5-19--Upgrades Available?
This is a retail, boxed copy of Office delivered 5-19. Is there any way = to=20 upgrade to Office 2004 short of the $239 (or whatever it was)? Thanks. anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote : > This is a retail, boxed copy of Office delivered 5-19. Is there any way to > upgrade to Office 2004 short of the $239 (or whatever it was)? Thanks. Yes! Se here: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/default.aspx?pid=office2004tg --------------------------------------------------------- Please reply to the newsgroup, and within the same thread. Merci de r�pondre au groupe, et dans l'enfilade...

New to excel

Looking for Excel Help

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

Over Time Pay rate 1.51?

learning Excel #3

Pivot Table Question #5

Excel VBA

Error 130

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook

How to get to email from Word

anyone else having problems with the 12.1.9 "autoupdate"? #2
Hi all... The 11.5.5 autoupdate worked fine. The 12.1.9 autoupdate downloads (apparently), but then it goes right back to showing that the 12.1.9 update is available -- the updater itself never actually launches. Busy servers, maybe -- and the download isn't ever actually completing? Or bad updater on the update server for 12.1.9? The manual download from Mactopia of 12.1.9 installed properly -- this is just the auto-update that's not working now. - Steve You're right, the auto-update fail. It should be pulled or a message sent instructing to update by downloading directly...