Disappearing Office data

Since installing OS X 10.5 a lot of my Office files have had the data
erased. My Word documents and Excel spreadsheets are still there, but
do not still have the actual data when I open them. They are blank.

A friend told me that this is a problem with MS Office based Macro
viruses and suggested that I run a virus scanning package. I tried
ClamXav but it would not run with 10.5.

I have lost a lot of important data; any suggestions?

0
rick7265 (7)

This sounds very unusual.

More information, please.

What type of installation did you use for OS 10. 5?

How are you opening the files?  Double-click or File | Open?  What
version of Office?

rick@emerysafety.com wrote:
> Since installing OS X 10.5 a lot of my Office files have had the data
> erased. My Word documents and Excel spreadsheets are still there, but
> do not still have the actual data when I open them. They are blank.
>
> A friend told me that this is a problem with MS Office based Macro
> viruses and suggested that I run a virus scanning package. I tried
> ClamXav but it would not run with 10.5.
>
> I have lost a lot of important data; any suggestions?

0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
12/28/2007 5:23:31 PM
Thanks. Any help will be appreciated.

What type of installation did you use for OS 10. 5?
MAC OS X V10.5 RETAIL installation of Leopard.

How are you opening the files?  Double-click or File | Open?
I have tried both double-clicking and File>Open. The documents open,
but the data is gone.

What version of Office?
Microsoft Office:Mac 2004 Student and Teacher Edition.
0
rick7265 (7)
12/31/2007 3:27:35 PM
On 12/31/07 7:27 AM, in article
1de7a6d9-0518-49e1-8d03-80a68de60df1@e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com,
"rick@emerysafety.com" <rick@emerysafety.com> wrote:

> What type of installation did you use for OS 10. 5?
> MAC OS X V10.5 RETAIL installation of Leopard.

You really need to use proper quoting. It's impossible to see who said what.
If you don't understand how, please ask.

We need to know if you used "Archive & Install", "Erase & Install" or
upgrade install. Here's what each method does:

Options to Install Leopard
<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq_topic/leo_options.html>

Upgrades seem to have the most problems. There are so many differences
between Tiger and Leopard that old Tiger files can cause horrible problems
in Leopard.
--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)
1/1/2008 1:38:10 AM
On Dec 31 2007, 7:38=A0pm, Diane Ross <di...@invalid.entourage.mvps.org>
wrote:
> On 12/31/07 7:27 AM, in article
> 1de7a6d9-0518-49e1-8d03-80a68de60...@e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com,
>
> "r...@emerysafety.com" <r...@emerysafety.com> wrote:
>
> > What type of installation did you use for OS 10. 5?
> > MAC OS X V10.5 RETAIL installation of Leopard.
>
> You really need to use proper quoting. It's impossible to see who said wha=
t.
> If you don't understand how, please ask.
>
> We need to know if you used "Archive & Install", "Erase & Install" or
> upgrade install. Here's what each method does:
>
> Options to Install Leopard
> <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq_topic/leo_options.html>
>
> Upgrades seem to have the most problems. There are so many differences
> between Tiger and Leopard that old Tiger files can cause horrible problems=

> in Leopard.
> --
> Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)
> Entourage Help Page =A0 <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>
> Entourage Help Blog =A0<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/>

I am not 100% sure, but I think it was "Upgrade Mac OS X". But, there
is a "System Folder (from old Mac)" on the drive so it could have been
"Archive & Install. I know that it was not "Erase & Install".

Please enlighten me on the proper quoting method.
0
rick7265 (7)
1/1/2008 10:39:47 PM
In article
<3be569d6-ba50-49f7-bd19-bf0fc0be3b2b@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
 rick@emerysafety.com wrote:

> Please enlighten me on the proper quoting method.

Read and learn:

    <http://www.albion.com/netiquette/>

: )

--
Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to

JR
On 1/1/08 2:39 PM, in article
3be569d6-ba50-49f7-bd19-bf0fc0be3b2b@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com,
"rick@emerysafety.com" <rick@emerysafety.com> wrote:

> I am not 100% sure, but I think it was "Upgrade Mac OS X". But, there
> is a "System Folder (from old Mac)" on the drive so it could have been
> "Archive & Install. I know that it was not "Erase & Install".
>
> Please enlighten me on the proper quoting method.

Jolly's links are for how where your reply should go, but in your case you
were not including any quote levels. eg:

 > one quote level
>> two quote level
>>> three quote level

Entourage does this automatically. When you reply you can select by
highlighting the part of the text you want to reply to. (Normally you don't
quote back the entire message) the when you select reply it will put the
quote level appropriate for that part of the message. This way instead of
this:

What type of installation did you use for OS 10. 5?
MAC OS X V10.5 RETAIL installation of Leopard.

You would see this:

> What type of installation did you use for OS 10. 5?
MAC OS X V10.5 RETAIL installation of Leopard.

Now you can see the first line was asked by the previous author and your
reply is below.

The attribution part is set in preferences. In the menu bar under Entourage,
select Preferences. Reply is under "Mail & News Preferences". See this page
for help and screen shots of the options.

Reply <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq_topic/reply.html#reply2>

For lists like this, it's best to reply below. This way the conversation can
flow normally. For business or personal use, many users like to top post
with the entire message below. This is best explained by this example

Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
>why is top posting frowned upon?

My suggestion is to set Entourage to bottom post and use the script
mentioned in the FAQ (above link) to reply above when needed. This gives you
the best of both worlds.

All of this is assuming you are using Entourage to reply to the news
messages. In Google, you might need to edit/delete part of the message
manually for clarity. It does default to quoting the previous message with
the cursor below for your reply.

Personally, I like to use Entourage for the newsgroup. It's not the most
robust newsreader, but for the Microsoft newsgroups, it works great. You can
use Entourage's features to view your mail from the newsgroup and you don't
have to go to your browser to see the messages. Follow the directions here:

How to subscribe to the Microsoft Entourage newsgroup

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/support_options/subnews.html>

Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)
1/2/2008 1:34:19 AM
rick@emerysafety.com wrote:
> I am not 100% sure, but I think it was "Upgrade Mac OS X". But, there
> is a "System Folder (from old Mac)" on the drive so it could have been
> "Archive & Install. I know that it was not "Erase & Install".

Can you create a new user account in OS X and see if that data appears
there?  That will help identify the source of the problem.  Also, if you
can test a problem file on a different computer, it would be good.
0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
1/2/2008 2:19:50 PM
On Jan 2, 8:19=A0am, Daiya Mitchell <daiyaNOS...@mvps.org.INVALID>
wrote:
> r...@emerysafety.com wrote:
> > I am not 100% sure, but I think it was "Upgrade Mac OS X". But, there
> > is a "System Folder (from old Mac)" on the drive so it could have been
> > "Archive & Install. I know that it was not "Erase & Install".
>
> Can you create a new user account in OS X and see if that data appears
> there? =A0That will help identify the source of the problem. =A0Also, if y=
ou
> can test a problem file on a different computer, it would be good.

The data still is missing when I use a different Mac. And it not make
a difference when creating a new account either.
0
rick7265 (7)
1/4/2008 10:37:09 PM
On 1/4/08 5:37 PM, in article
c270618d-789e-4ee2-85ea-7defe8257266@f3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com,
"rick@emerysafety.com" <rick@emerysafety.com> wrote:

> On Jan 2, 8:19�am, Daiya Mitchell <daiyaNOS...@mvps.org.INVALID>
> wrote:
>> r...@emerysafety.com wrote:
>>> I am not 100% sure, but I think it was "Upgrade Mac OS X". But, there
>>> is a "System Folder (from old Mac)" on the drive so it could have been
>>> "Archive & Install. I know that it was not "Erase & Install".
>>
>> Can you create a new user account in OS X and see if that data appears
>> there? �That will help identify the source of the problem. �Also, if you
>> can test a problem file on a different computer, it would be good.
>
> The data still is missing when I use a different Mac. And it not make
> a difference when creating a new account either.

As Daiya first replied, this is a highly unusual occurrence... Upgrading the
OS *or* programs should *not* even touch the user-created files. If it does
it would either delete or corrupt the files rendering them unusable, but
certainly shouldn't empty their content while leaving the files otherwise
intact. As a matter of fact - in my mere 27 years of experience - I've
*never* seen this happen.

Although rare it is possible that a [macro] virus may be involved - this is
exactly the type of things that may malcontents design viruses to do. Those
that affect docs shouldn't affect Excel files & vice-versa, though. In order
to accomplish such a chore it would have to truly be a virus which would
trigger the OS to prompt you to approve installation as though it were an
application - Do you remember any such prompt?

To help narrow down the possibilities go to Word> Preferences> Security to
be certain that there is a check in the box to "Warn before opening a file
that contains macros". Do the same in Excel, then reopen one of the problem
files to see if a dialog appears warning about a macro.

Although ClamXav still has not been released for Leopard there are several
which have. VirusScan v8.6 as well as a few others, but, unfortunately, they
aren't free.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On Jan 5, 9:13=A0am, CyberTaz <onlygeneralt...@com.cast.net> wrote:
> On 1/4/08 5:37 PM, in article
> c270618d-789e-4ee2-85ea-7defe8257...@f3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com,
>
> "r...@emerysafety.com" <r...@emerysafety.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 2, 8:19=A0am, Daiya Mitchell <daiyaNOS...@mvps.org.INVALID>
> > wrote:

> >> Can you create a new user account in OS X and see if that data appears
> >> there? =A0That will help identify the source of the problem. =A0Also, i=
f you
> >> can test a problem file on a different computer, it would be good.
>
> > The data still is missing when I use a different Mac. And it not make
> > a difference when creating a new account either.
>
> As Daiya first replied, this is a highly unusual occurrence... Upgrading t=
he
> OS *or* programs should *not* even touch the user-created files. If it doe=
> it would either delete or corrupt the files rendering them unusable, but
> certainly shouldn't empty their content while leaving the files otherwise
> intact. As a matter of fact - in my mere 27 years of experience - I've
> *never* seen this happen.
>
> Although rare it is possible that a [macro] virus may be involved - this i=
> exactly the type of things that may malcontents design viruses to do. Thos=
> that affect docs shouldn't affect Excel files & vice-versa, though. In ord=
er
> to accomplish such a chore it would have to truly be a virus which would
> trigger the OS to prompt you to approve installation as though it were an
> application - Do you remember any such prompt?
>
> To help narrow down the possibilities go to Word> Preferences> Security to=

> be certain that there is a check in the box to "Warn before opening a file=

> that contains macros". Do the same in Excel, then reopen one of the proble=
> files to see if a dialog appears warning about a macro.
>
> Although ClamXav still has not been released for Leopard there are several=

> which have. VirusScan v8.6 as well as a few others, but, unfortunately, th=
ey
> aren't free.
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac

Sorry if this does not follow the proper quoting protocol, but I do
not use Entourage. But I really do appreciate the advice.

I do not recall allowing such an installation. I am pretty careful
about that stuff, but I guess anything is possible.

I checked both Word and Excel. Both have the Warning box checked. I
have had that warning in the past, but I do not allow macros.

But I have noticed several things that I cannot explain:

1. Something was eating up a lot of disk space. I could "lose" 5 GB of
space in a matter of minutes, and then resatrt and it was mostly back.

2. My Office documents opening very slowly at times. Normally, a short
letter in Word will open in a blink. But every once in a while that
same document takes several seconds to open. It is very noticeable.

3. I do not know why, but I now get a lot of prompts about the "Normal
Template" in Word.

4. I had a lot of .wmv files that stopped working for unknown reasons.
I trashed all of them.

There may be other anomalies, but you don't really notice some stuff
until after it happens. I am willing to pay to have a virus free Mac.
Thanks for the information on VirusScan v8.6.

I am also waiting t upgrade to Office 2008. That may not help this
problem but it's worth a shot.

One other thing, after I created the new account I had to enter my
password to start my Mac. I deleted that account, but I still have to
enter my password every time I start mu Mac. Is there a way I can go
back to just starting my Mac without having to enter my password? It
is a pain.

Thanks again for everyone's comments.
0
rick7265 (7)
1/9/2008 11:09:58 PM
On 1/9/08 3:09 PM, in article
a154326e-6e13-415f-9754-279bbca25856@i7g2000prf.googlegroups.com,
"rick@emerysafety.com" <rick@emerysafety.com> wrote:

> I am also waiting t upgrade to Office 2008. That may not help this
> problem but it's worth a shot.

I doubt upgrading will fix your problems. It sounds like you have problems
with your system files. Did you upgrade to 10.5.1? What type of install did
you use to install Leopard? Did you run Repair Permissions from Disk
Utility?

There are 3 types of installs:

1. Upgrade Mac OS X (the default upgrade method)*
2. Archive and Install
3. Erase and Install

* Just because it's the default doesn't mean it's the best option.

This page describes what each method does:

Options to Install Leopard
<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq_topic/leo_options.html>

Is there any way to backup your data to a secondary drive/partition? You
might want to wipe your drive and re-install. I know this is drastic but
might be the quickest way to resolve your problems.

> One other thing, after I created the new account I had to enter my
> password to start my Mac. I deleted that account, but I still have to
> enter my password every time I start mu Mac. Is there a way I can go
> back to just starting my Mac without having to enter my password? It
> is a pain.

In System Preferences --> System --> Accounts

Click on the lock at the bottom left
Next, click on Login Options with the little house

The first popup should show Automatic login for your User. Yours is probably
set to disabled.

I have these settings;
�   Display login window as �  List of users
�   Show the Restart, sleep and shut down buttons
�   Show password hints

Click the lock when you are through.

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)
1/10/2008 1:53:47 AM
On Jan 9, 7:53=A0pm, Diane Ross <di...@invalid.entourage.mvps.org>
wrote:
> On 1/9/08 3:09 PM, in article
> a154326e-6e13-415f-9754-279bbca25...@i7g2000prf.googlegroups.com,
>
> "r...@emerysafety.com" <r...@emerysafety.com> wrote:
> > I am also waiting t upgrade to Office 2008. That may not help this
> > problem but it's worth a shot.
>
> I doubt upgrading will fix your problems. It sounds like you have problems=

> with your system files. Did you upgrade to 10.5.1? What type of install di=
> you use to install Leopard? Did you run Repair Permissions from Disk
> Utility?
>
> There are 3 types of installs:
>
> 1. Upgrade Mac OS X (the default upgrade method)*
> 2. Archive and Install
> 3. Erase and Install
>
> * Just because it's the default doesn't mean it's the best option.
>
> This page describes what each method does:
>
> Options to Install Leopard
> <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq_topic/leo_options.html>
>
> Is there any way to backup your data to a secondary drive/partition? You
> might want to wipe your drive and re-install. I know this is drastic but
> might be the quickest way to resolve your problems.
>

> > One other thing, after I created the new account I had to enter my
> > password to start my Mac. I deleted that account, but I still have to
> > enter my password every time I start mu Mac. Is there a way I can go
> > back to just starting my Mac without having to enter my password? It
> > is a pain.
>
> In System Preferences --> System --> Accounts
>
> Click on the lock at the bottom left
> Next, click on Login Options with the little house
>
> The first popup should show Automatic login for your User. Yours is probab=
ly
> set to disabled.
>
> I have these settings;
> =88 =A0 Display login window as =88 =A0List of users
> =88 =A0 Show the Restart, sleep and shut down buttons
> =88 =A0 Show password hints
>
> Click the lock when you are through.
>
> --
> Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)
> Entourage Help Page =A0 <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>
> Entourage Help Blog =A0<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/>

I installed 10.5.1 and I probably used the default. I probably did not
run Disk Repair Permissions.

Login Options worked. I knew there was a way, but I just could not
find it. I even used the Help menu but it did not list anything.
Thanks!!

Also, I have been thinking hard about what else might have been
changed to cause the disappearing data problem. I added RAM to this
Mac around the time this problem started. For the life of me I cannot
recall if I added the RAM before it started or after, but it was right
around that time.

I also started using Mozy to do off site back ups around this time. I
have had a lot of trouble with Mozy and maybe that has something to do
with the issue.

Thanks again!
0
rick7265 (7)
1/10/2008 3:32:50 PM
On 1/10/08 7:32 AM, in article
4dcd985f-073e-4de2-9ffe-769ca8268677@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com,
"rick@emerysafety.com" <rick@emerysafety.com> wrote:

> I installed 10.5.1 and I probably used the default. I probably did not
> run Disk Repair Permissions.

It's possible your data is still there and if you do an "Archive & Install"
you might be able to get it back.

> Also, I have been thinking hard about what else might have been
> changed to cause the disappearing data problem. I added RAM to this
> Mac around the time this problem started. For the life of me I cannot
> recall if I added the RAM before it started or after, but it was right
> around that time.

This doesn't sound like a RAM problem.

> I also started using Mozy to do off site back ups around this time. I
> have had a lot of trouble with Mozy and maybe that has something to do
> with the issue.

Mozy could very well be a culprit, but if the title is there, the info
should be there also.
--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)
1/11/2008 3:59:41 AM
I'm thinking along the same lines as Diane about this thing called "Mozy" -
about which I know absolutely nothing, BTW:-)

However, the thought occurred to me that you might be opening files created
by *it* rather than the actual Word docs - I've seen backup software that
creates "empty shells" with the data for them encoded in a master file. The
individual files are represented with their appropriate icons & they retain
their identities for recognition purposes and their data content is
reinserted when the shells are properly restored. Could something like that
be going on here?

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/10/08 10:32 AM, in article

On Jan 12, 5:39 am, CyberTaz <onlygeneralt...@com.cast.net> wrote:
> [...]
> >> Entourage Help Page   <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>
> >> Entourage Help Blog  <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/>
>
> > I installed 10.5.1 and I probably used the default. I probably did not
> > run Disk Repair Permissions.
>
> > Login Options worked. I knew there was a way, but I just could not
> > find it. I even used the Help menu but it did not list anything.
> > Thanks!!
>
> > Also, I have been thinking hard about what else might have been
> > changed to cause the disappearing data problem. I added RAM to this
> > Mac around the time this problem started. For the life of me I cannot
> > recall if I added the RAM before it started or after, but it was right
> > around that time.
>
> > I also started using Mozy to do off site back ups around this time. I
> > have had a lot of trouble with Mozy and maybe that has something to do

I will try to retrieve the document(s) from Mozy to see if that is the
problem. But, it will not be until next week due to a death in the
family.
0
rick7265 (7)

Copying XML data to Word
I have got an Excel XML spreadsheet which grabs data from Microsoft CRM. I have set it up to have 5 different sheets. I want to copy information from each of these sheets into Word, but for some reason, only data from the first sheet is copied. When I try to copy cells from other sheets, I get blank cells in Word. Can anyone tell me why? And even better, is there an automatic way to copy this stuff into a Word template so I don't have to manually select the cells? ...

Disappearing email #2
Dear Jeff, I'm apologize if I'm missing something obvious here, but I can't see the item(s) on the View menu which determines whether or not all messages are displayed... Steve >-----Original Message----- >Go to the View menu and make sure that you're view is set to view all >messages. ...

Can I use named range in data range box when creating pie chart?
I have 75 pie charts to create today. Is there a way to use named ranges in the data range box to speed this up? Yes. Just type in the name. -- George Nicholson Remove 'Junk' from return address. "BJackson" <BJackson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0DE9A0AD-C3BA-4242-B3BA-3CC3F0D87894@microsoft.com... >I have 75 pie charts to create today. Is there a way to use named ranges >in > the data range box to speed this up? Thank you! I was making it too difficult, thinking I needed to include the Sheet name along with the name range. ...

Messages Disappear?
Hi, We're using Outlook 2003, cache mode, to connect to our Exchange and Windows server 2003. Everything patched. One of the users complains that some messages (last week)disappeared suddenly. There's no filters, rules setup. She said those messages were there two days ago. the current View is all messages(read and unread). I also tried switching to non-cache mode and still can't find those missing emails dated last week. I even logged on to OWA and still can't find those missing messages. I checked the Deleted Items, Junk, all other folders and those messages we...

for rent office tower in bosphorus,besiktas,istanbul Turkey
Business Towers located in Besiktas ,istanbul one of the commercial and residential town in Europe side of the city . Fan-coil system Settling area net 653sqm.total 21 floors,13.713 sq.mt 2 regular floors,1 tecnical floors ,4 garage floors(total 150 car park ) per flat 653sq.mt Price: sqm/20USD + TAX per mounth A striking modern building, with panoramic views over the Bosphorus, located in the heart of banking and business district. Plaza offers a prime business address in a very strategic location. Close to Turkey's Stock Exchange and within 15 minutes to t...

Payroll Data Encryption
Is there a product out there that allows encryption of payroll tables so that IT administrators with sa password access cannot see the payroll information? ...

How do I get a graphy with 2 data sets to have 2 Y axis one for each data set?
How do I get a graphy with 2 data sets to have 2 Y axis one for each data set? On Jul 20, 5:26 am, libertyforall <r...@royhuff.com> wrote: > How do I get a graphy with 2 data sets to have 2 Y axis one for each > data set? Hi libertyforall, have a look at Jon Peltier's beatiful site, especially: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html Have fun, cheers Michael ...

View other BU data
Hi, Let say there are 4 BU define in my systems and name it as BU1 up to BU4 accordingly. And each BU has manager and sales person that is different from other BU. Is it possible that BU1 manager can see all lead, opportunity for BU2? But BU2 manager cannot see the BU1 lead and opportunity?? Thx, Carrie Hi, yes it is possible by using different security roles for the two different sales managers (they have different access rights and should therefore have different roles). It is also possible using BU hierarchy and placing the managers in a aggregate BU or in the bottom one dependin...

Macro to sort variable data range fails
Hi, Can you please help me identify why this macro is failing with the following error? Runtime error 1004: Sort method of Range class failed Row 7 is the header row Data range has a variable number of rows (so using end(xldown) to select the range) Using column BA to select a contiguous range of cells as all cells are populated in the column Then using that selection to select entire rows in my list Sorting as per criteria using row 7 as header row Rows("7:7").Select Range("BA7").Activate Range(ActiveCell, ActiveCell.End(xlDown)).Select ...

MAXIMUM Data Input in Excel
Does anyone know the approximate (or exact) limit of Excel for storing data? I have heard the number 65,000 lines of data, but want to verify this number. Thanks. I guess you have never looked at a worksheet and done end +down arror to see that, in the later versions, there are 65336 rows and 256 columns. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C780540D-BD2A-45BE-B159-C746BE6A9022@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know the approximate (or exact) limit of Excel for storing data? > > I have heard the...

Data Analysis help?
Hi all, I've got some time series data which is approximately constant for awhile, and then drops off as -(a exp(b x)). Is there a way I can have Excel help me to determine what the "best" place to consider the constant section as stopping and the exponential section as beginning? It should be straighforward to determine the exponenetial's parameters after that. Thanks for any ideas, cdj Rather than considering the range as the spline of two separate processes, can you construct a single mathematical model that covers both parts of your data? If it is possible, then...

More on "Data Range"
This is wonderful for using "OFFSET" for a Dynamic Range Name for a Chart "Data Range"...http://processtrends.com/pg_dynamic_charts.htm Thank you again Kelly O'Day. It includes, for the X-Axis Dynamic Range Name... "Refers to:" ---> =OFFSET(dyn_ranges!$A$2,0,0,COUNTA(dyn_ranges!$A$A)-1) Currently, I'm using Column A to receive several Ranges for Charts from Access Automation. The...COUNTA(dyn_ranges!$A$A) will Count Entries in Column A from Cell $A$2 down. Other than separating the Ranges...IE.. For Chart 1...Columns A:B ---> COUNTA(dyn_ranges!$...

Excel chart data labels showing % change instead of value?
I'm needing to have my excel chart show me the percent change in my 2 series. I would like this in a data label over series 2 on the chart, but all I can figure out to do is have the value labeled. Does any one have any suggestions? I'm believe I'm using Excel 2002. You can use Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler. http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm "MFritz" <MFritz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29317BE2-4574-4623-8D5E-A3BA97B3FAE6@microsoft.com... > I'm needing to have my excel chart show me the percent change in my 2...

how do i put a password on an office document?
i used to go to save as & then in options/security I could put a password - its now not there (publisher 2003). please help You have Publisher confused with Word... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "justicerulesok" <justicerulesok@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B9DEF7C-C057-4E80-B7F9-B9BB39A8241B@microsoft.com... >i used to go to save as & then in options/security I could put a password - > its now not there (publisher 2003). please help ...

Multiple Versions of Office Apps
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC I have not upgraded to Office 2008 because the budgeting programs I use in Excel require macros. I do, however, want to upgrade Entourage for better Exchange compatibility. If I install Office 2008, can I still keep my Office X version of Excel on the same system (PowerBook G4)? Will there be conflicts? Thanks, -Jd On 3/25/08 9:04 AM, in article ee95f9d.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "jdbrewer@officeformac.com" <jdbrewer@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: v.X > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tig...

revert from outlook 2007 to office XP
new pc so loaded a trial version of outlook 2007, but don't want to upgrade and want to stick with office outlook XP. i think i made an error by not loading outlook XP first on this computer, and wonder how to revert without losing content/data that's now part of outlook 2007. do i delete 2007 then load XP? thanks all. "loki" <craigmclaughlan_remove@terra.es> wrote in message news:OwdF$TbNIHA.6108@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > new pc so loaded a trial version of outlook 2007, but don't want to > upgrade and want to stick with office outlook XP. > >...

combining data from separate sheets into one
Greetings I would be grateful if someone could start me off on a macro to combine data (size variable) from a number of sheets (number unknown) from a single file. The data will always start in the same cell, A6. Many thanks Yours Andrew j Fife Can you be a bit more specific on what exactly do you want to do? Do you want to, say, add the values of cell A6 in all sheets in A6 in a totals sheet, or something like this? Do you want to do this for a range of cells? Does your totals sheet have a specific name (so it can be excluded from the summation? Nikos Y. >-----Original Message...

Automatic Pareto data with Formula
I want to create a data table for use to create an Automatically updated Pareto Chart, for this I need that the values automatically be sorted in descending order, so I have the following example scenario: Column A has Labels and Column B has Values A -1 B -2 C - 3 D - 2 E -1 If I use the following formula: =INDEX($A$1:$A$5,MATCH(LARGE($B$1:$B$5,2),$B$1:$B$5,0)) I get B, but there are two 2 and if I use the 3rd largest: =INDEX($A$1:$A$5,MATCH(LARGE($B$1:$B$5,3),$B$1:$B$5,0)) I also Get B instead of the required D. How can I get it so the end results looks like this: C ...

Office VX and Mac OS9.2
It's a silly question, but i think OfficeX isn't compatible with OS9.2: can someone confirm this think? Thanks a lot Denis Chenu Service informatique / Informatic service's SAD-Marketing D.Chenu@sad-Marketing.com 03.20.81.58.20 ------------------------------- You're correct. Mac OS X is an entirely different OS and takes entirely different software from OS 9.x and below (OS 9.x is � equivalent to the Classic system within OS X). Office 2001 is the last OS 9.x compatible version--Office X and the forthcoming Office 2004 are written for OS X. Dayo "D.Chenu" wrot...

How do you entr data in a form (scanned) document?
I have a printed form I need to fill out by entering data. How do I ues Word to do so? I can scan the form to creat a (picture) document. How do I enter data in this document (by overlay) to enable printing it with entered data? You could use text boxes for your info. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Filling in preprinted forms" <Filling in preprinted forms@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:659EAF90-C3E9-4C24-BDCC-11DAB1A95A87@microsoft.com... >I have a printe...

Data Labels Widths
Can the width of a data label for a MS Chart (in my case a pie graph) be widened. There appears to be no property for this. I have downloaded some utilities but these are for simply creating label with bespoke text and do not allow me to adjust the width... help!!! Many thanks... Mike - The maximum width of a data label seems to be proportional to the width of the chart object. You can make the chart wider to fit a longer label. Most of a chart's text elements do not allow you to control their dimensions. You can add textboxes, however, that allow you to adjust their size. The...

Finding Last Data in a Column
Hi, Does anyone kow how to find the last entry in a single column the paste it into another cell? For instance - Looking at column J - Find the last entry or last cel with data in it then copy this data into another cell eg J5. Any help much appreciated Mike:) :) : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Mike WorkSheets("Sheet1").Range("J65536").End(xlUp).Copy WorkSheets("Sheet1").Range("J5") HTH Cordially Pascal "MacroMike >" <<MacroMike.19mqp2@excelforum-nospam.com> a �crit dans le message de news:MacroMike.1...

Getting straight lines in a best fit trendline of semi log data?
Thanks in advance for any light you can shed. I have been asked to create a graph that looks like this: http://www.jci.org/cgi/content/full/98/2/490/F4 It is a semi-log representation of a time series. I have created a spreadsheet here: http://ccbc.unc.edu/documents/logarithmic_test_graph.xls As you can see, the trendlines are curved. I have serched the archives but I'm missing a basic understanding of what to do. For example, the TREND function just gave me a specific value. If anyone can tell me how to make my clunky graph resemble the spiify published one, you will save both my...

Combined bar and line chart (two Y axis) how to make excel know which data goes where
Hello all, after the super fast problem fixing last time i had a problem, i'd like to ask the excel collective for some more help... :) now trying to plot a combined bar chart and line graph. I basically want all the sets of data except one to appear as columns plotted against the axis on the left and the last set of data (which is a cumulative value of the data appearing for the columns) plotted against the right hand axis as a line. I can plot the graph fine, but out of the 7 sets of data which i want to appear as 6 sets of columns and one line, i get four sets of columns and three ...

OWA Hotfix for XP Office 2003
I need the OWA hotix for Exchange 5.5. OWA keeps hanging after 2003 Outlook clients connect. "Pedro" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:bbf001c48939$9b02ce10$a601280a@phx.gbl... >I need the OWA hotix for Exchange 5.5. OWA keeps hanging > after 2003 Outlook clients connect. You can get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B106C749-71F8-44CC-86CF-AB5CDA169127 Lee. -- _______________________________________ Outlook Web Access For PDA , OWA For WAP: www.leederbyshire.com email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m _____...