Develop solutions for MAC Office

Hi,

I've been developing solutions for the PC version of Office in VS2005 and
VS2008. Now one of my clients needs a solution that would work for both PC
and MAC versions. I've never done development work for MAC and wondering if
there's any direct way of creating MAC installer (don't know what's the
equivalent of installers in MAC world) from my VS solutions that would run on
MAC and install the add-in.

Shujaat,

You probably need to be aware that Mac Office 2008 does not have VBA is
is probably the basis of your solution?  It's promised for Mac Office 2010.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 18/03/10 06:18, Shujaat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been developing solutions for the PC version of Office in VS2005 and
> VS2008. Now one of my clients needs a solution that would work for both PC
> and MAC versions. I've never done development work for MAC and wondering if
> there's any direct way of creating MAC installer (don't know what's the
> equivalent of installers in MAC world) from my VS solutions that would run on
> MAC and install the add-in.
0
Rob
3/18/2010 6:42:32 AM
On 3/18/10 2:18 AM, Shujaat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been developing solutions for the PC version of Office in VS2005 and
> VS2008. Now one of my clients needs a solution that would work for both PC
> and MAC versions. I've never done development work for MAC and wondering if
> there's any direct way of creating MAC installer (don't know what's the
> equivalent of installers in MAC world) from my VS solutions that would run on
> MAC and install the add-in.
I specialize in developing solutions that work on bith Macintosh and
Windows. Contact me off line at the address below. I can probably help.

--

Bobgreenblattatmsndotcom
0
Shujaat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been developing solutions for the PC version of Office in VS2005 and
> VS2008. Now one of my clients needs a solution that would work for both PC
> and MAC versions. I've never done development work for MAC and wondering if
> there's any direct way of creating MAC installer (don't know what's the
> equivalent of installers in MAC world) from my VS solutions that would run on
> MAC and install the add-in.

Please take Bob Greenblatt up on his offer. He'll treat you very well.

Meanwhile, the answer to your question is a qualified "Yes, you can." As
Rob Schneider pointed out, VBA is absent in Office 2008. However it is
available in Office 2004 and will be available again in Office 2011 (not
2010) on the Mac. Office 2011 will debut later this year.

You will need to know the hardware and software capabilities of your
user base. Office 2004 runs on PowerPC processors and Intel processors
and has VBA version 5. The VBA compiler had to be rebuilt for Intel, so
I suspect Office 2011 will require Intel processors, and of course,
Office 2011. It's not too soon to start developing for Office 2011.

Bob will fill you in on the way to build good cross-platform
applications. Avoid Active-X like the plague. Learn a few simple rules
about Mac file path conventions, and you're applications will be able to
run nicely.

And yes, there's an Apple installer application.
http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/SoftwareDistribution/Install_Operations/Install_Operations.html

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

Office 2003 Detect & Repair
Office 2003 Detect & Repair cannot find ZF561407.CAB on Installation Disc. Is there a fix for this, please? The following MSKB article may help: "Installation Error: File not Found" error message when you try to update Office 2003 programs from the Office Update Web site http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=875556 JT43529345 wrote: > Office 2003 Detect & Repair cannot find ZF561407.CAB on Installation Disc. Is > there a fix for this, please? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

How do I find out if I have Office 2000
How do I find out if I have Office 2000 on my computer? It is a Compaq 1700T. I bought it in August, 2001 Can you open Word or Excel? If yes, then Help|about should give you some indication of the version. But Office (any version) isn't bundled free with any computer (as far as I know). You have to pay for it separately (it isn't part of Windows (any version)). Agnes wrote: > > How do I find out if I have Office 2000 on my computer? It is a Compaq > 1700T. I bought it in August, 2001 -- Dave Peterson Start>Run and type in Excel and press enter, then click he...

Will my Office OS X updated to 10.1.9 run on my new Intel nased Mac
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have Office for Mac OS X, uppdated to 10.1.9., on my old 10.3.9 G4. I am taking delivery of an Intel based Macbook Pro running 10.5 Will my old Office run on Leopard? If not, is the Home/Student Version equivalent, or do I have to buy the much more expensive Office 2008? Can you get rebates? You've actually raised several issues here, so see the in-line responses: On 6/28/09 12:27 PM, in article 59b773f8.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Sparkswj72@aol.com@officeformac.com" <Sparkswj72@aol.com@officeform...

Opening Office 2010 beta documents with Office 2003
The header says it all. I tried a "patch" or converter I found on the Microsoft web site and installed it, but I get errors that there is not enough memory to open the application. The particular file I am trying to open is an excel file created using a beta copy of MS Office 2010. Office 2003 is a certified, activated, registered release. Is there a file converter for this or do I just have to wait until Microsoft comes out with the final release? Really, I wish there would be SOME backward compatibility with Microsoft's Office products. It seems that whe...

intalling office on new powerbook
My new powerbook came with Microsoft office demo. I want to install my copy of Office, but keep getting message saying installation can not be complete because an older Office copy is on powerbook. I used Remove function of demo version, but keep getting that message. Any ideas? <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > My new powerbook came with Microsoft office demo. I want to install > my copy of Office, but keep getting message saying installation can not > be complete because an older Office copy is on powerbook. I used > Remove function of demo version, but...

remove com add-ins in Office 2007
I have Chinese menues appearing when I enter Access, which I have traced to a Com Add-In. I have found a way to disable it, but want to remove it permanently. When I try to remove it a message says only an administrator can remove the Add-In. I am the administrator for Windows operating system on my computer, but cannot remove a Com Add-In within Access. What am I missing or doing wrong? What operating system? If Vista or Win 7, find msaccess.exe wherever it is in Program Files, right-click on it and select Run as Administrator. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http:...

OWA on a MAC
I have a user who uses a MAC at home and is trying to access his company email through OWA. He reports that he is unable to reply to any email. Any suggestions, short of dumping the MAC? A lot more info would help - as would posting to a more relevant newsgroup, such as m.p.exchange.clients. OWA is part of Exchange, not Outlook.....if you post there, include any relevant details (Mac OS version, what browser, what errors, any popup blockers in place, version of Exchange, etc) J Michel wrote: > I have a user who uses a MAC at home and is trying to > access his company email through...

Out of Office Assistant #9
I have a user who cannot open Out Of Office Assistant. I loaded my profile to the same computer and the Out of Office Assistant worked. Why is this one user unable to access the Out of Office Assistant? Complete message window: "The Out of Office Assistant could not be displayed. A required action was not successful due to an unspecified error." Upon closing this message window the following error message windows appears: "System Resources are critically low. Close some windows." The user only has Outlook running, is there something I can look for that m...

office 2004 install
When installing office 2004 on imac g3 600mhz 512 oxs 10.3.7, the office assistant will not run and present a window. The drag and drop option dies while copying at item 988 with an error -36 which is an io error. Have had the error multiple times, each time while copying a different file. I tried the ms solution of issuing a command at the terminal, but to no avail. This is a computer with a new hard drive. Ran disk utility and fixed everything. What to do. It's possible you have a damaged CD. Check out the Microsoft Knowledge Base for information: <http://support.microsoft.co...

Mac Blog
All latest Mac apps and games from RS HF FS... http://macosxstation.blogspot.com/ http://hotfile.com/dl/65310436/f808552/AS.V2011.SP3.MacOSX.part1.rar.html http://hotfile.com/dl/65310599/31a04ad/AS.V2011.SP3.MacOSX.part2.rar.html http://hotfile.com/dl/65310511/e201cb2/AS.V2011.SP3.MacOSX.part3.rar.html http://hotfile.com/dl/65310589/709eee1/AS.V2011.SP3.MacOSX.part4.rar.html http://hotfile.com/dl/65310381/01adb41/AS.V2011.SP3.MacOSX.part5.rar.html http://hotfile.com/dl/65309807/5c67b78/Presto.v1.2.1.MacOSX.Incl.Keymaker-CORE.rar.html http://hotfile.com/dl/64578419/a082548/FlexTeam_2.2.4.zi...

How can I create a NEW PROFILE OFFICE 2003
I have a Profile which is causing problems with my PST. I was told to create a new profile to use but NOT to create a new one by COPYING the old one. I know how to creat a New profile but HOW CAN I EASILY IMPORT THE EMAIL DATA FROM THE OLD PROFILE TO THE NEW ONE , other than retyping all of the email accounts over again. I have several accounts. I dont know if simply making a COPY of the old profile except that by doing so may simply create a bad profile all over again. You can't, if you want a clean profile (and you do). Just recreate the Email accounts. It can't be that...

Line spacing

Office Notifications no longer work
Sometime in the last month, my Office notifications have stopped working. The Microsoft Office Notifications application is running and I have made sure that it launches at startup, but that hasn't helped the problem. I have repaired permissions since this problem began and have run both Norton Disk Doctor and Alsoft DiskWarrior as part of my regular routine, not specifically for this problem. Again, no effect toward the problem. I am running a dual 1.8 GHz G5 with OS 10.3.9. Office 2004 (Entourage v 11.1.0 (040913)). Any suggestions to fix this? -- Roy Behymer I think you're mor...

Office 2004 slow to open docs
I installed 2004 the other day, and everything is ok performance-wise once docs are open, but it takes 3-10 seconds to open docs that open in less than 1 in v.X. Any ideas? In article <203356e5.0405181317.332afa2a@posting.google.com>, tsb@mac.com (bugleg) wrote: > I installed 2004 the other day, and everything is ok performance-wise > once docs are open, but it takes 3-10 seconds to open docs that open > in less than 1 in v.X. > > Any ideas? Is there any difference if the application is already open? ...

office oputlook 2003 email acct setup error
I am getting a 553 Authentication is required to send mail as <email address> error when I try to send an email. I can't get a test email to be sent w/ email actt setup. I have all updates, but my ISP says I need a an update or patch. Please help. ...

How to use Out of Office if no Exchange Server?
Hi guys, I've been trying to tell a friend how to set up an Out of Office reply in her OL2002, but can't even get it working in my own 2007 because according to the help file, you need an Exchange Server to use this facility. Surely not?! How do normal home users set up out of office messages when they don't have an exchange server? There is no "out of office assistant" under Tools, and when trying to set this up manually through Rules and Alerts, there is no option that allows you to reply to messages. I have suggested she uses her ISP's vacation message system, but...

Can't open Microsoft Office-- help!
Not sure why Office decided to suddenly crash on me (it worked fine yesterday) but every time I try to open any office program, I get an error message saying "Microsoft (word, excel, etc) has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". Restarting my computer does nothing. To make things worse, i can't find the office CD. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks so much! Hi marissa, Since everything was working OK previously, something has happened to your computer. You don't say what version of Office you are using, but here are som...

Re: Language packs for Office 2008
On 2/1/08 7:44 AM, in article ee882f0.8@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "MARCIN" <MARCIN> wrote: > IM RUDE CAUSE I'VE JUST LOST 130 EURO, PURELY CAUSE MS DID'NT ADD PROPER > INFORMATION ON BOX/IN APPLE SHOP. > > IF CAPITAL ARE MORE DIFFICULT FOR YOU TO READ, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR OPTICIAN > (OR PSYCHIATRIST.) This is what will get you on a kill list. We're volunteers that provide help. No one deserves your wrath. Poink! -- Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees) Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/> Entourage Hel...

Failed to publish report to MS Office Word or Excel
I received this error when trying to export/convert an Access form to excel, other PCs at the same office works just fine. All PCs running Access 2003 in WIn/XP. The Error is: "Microsoft Access Cannot complete the output operation". The Visual Basic code you entered contains a syntax error or the Output procedures are not available. Make sure there isn't a syntax error in your code. If the syntax is correct, run Setup to reinstall Microsoft Office Access. If you want to preserve your security or custom settings, back up the Microsoft Office Access workgroup information file...

Is RAID1 good enough for a local office database/file server (running Windows 2008 Server)? Or RAID5? Options
Hi Our IT suppliers are telling us that hard disks are now so reliable, that RAID1 good enough for a local office database/file server (running Windows 2008 Server)? Or should we go for RAID5 ? All feedback gratefully appreciated. With thanks Ship Shiperton Henethe Hi Shiperton, RAID 1 is at least equally reilable as RAID 5. Both configurations tolerate losing one disk. However, if you calculate statistically, chances are bigger that one drive will fail out of three (RAID 5) than one out of two (RAID 1). The same is statistically true that two drives will fai...

Need RMS addin Developer
Need to create a method for cashiers to assign a split commission to salespeople on POS Line Items and make this info import into quick books. Anyone out there able to do this? -- Newbie Developer to RMS There's a cheaper way to do it: Buy two items at .5 Qty and assign each 1/2 to a different sales rep. Good luck, Matt "Jewelsmith" <Jewelsmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:512D858F-93B5-440E-9067-D748D85A160D@microsoft.com... > Need to create a method for cashiers to assign a split commission to > salespeople on POS Line Items and make this ...

Exchange Mail Forwarding And Out Of Office
Hi, I currently have a user who has set their out of office and I need to ammend their message. I know I can change the users password, log on to their account and change the out of office reply, but is there another way without having to do this? Also, I need to forward this users messages on to another member of AD. I have tried setting the user to forward on to in the Delivery options properties box and checked the "Deliver messages to both forwarding address and mailbox " but nothing comes through to the other AD users inbox. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Than...

Lost Office Software
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel We purchased the Office 2008 Software for our Macbook and somehow misplaced it. We now have an iMac desktop that we would like to install it on. Is there a way to do this using a registration number from the Macbook? Do we need the actual software to install it on a second computer? In order to install Office you need a source disk and your Product Key... The source disk can be any Office 2008 disk but the Product Key is unique to your copy. The Key is on the sleeve the disk came in, so if you've lost th...

How do I import endnotes from an Open Office document?
I have a document with endnotes saved in Open Office. When I cut and paste it into a Word document, the endnotes change to roman numerals, but I would like them to stay as arabic. How can I edit my previous endnotes and then be able to keep adding endnotes in the same numerical order that I had been? Change the number style of endnotes from within Word. The pasted notes should adjust to that. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Converting from Open Office" <Converting from Open Office@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:71AB9EE6-3F15-4439-...

Trouble installing Office 2004 on iMac G5
Hi. I recently purchased a 17" iMac G5, with OS X 10.4 Tiger on it. I am unable to install Office 2004 Standard for the Mac on it - the combo drive will not recognize the disc. When I insert the CD, it spins for a few seconds and then ejects automatically. I initially thought this was a defective CD, since my drive seems fine. All other types of discs play perfectly - DVDs, CD-Rs etc. So, I exchanged the Office for Mac disc for a new one, twice. I've got the same result so far on 3 discs. They are all original factory sealed Office discs. I tried getting support through the Appl...