Custom dictionary not available #2

Version: 2008

I receive the message every time I try to check a word that the "custom dictionary is not available." I have tried the fixes recommended by others and they have not worked.
0
Keyes1 (1)

Keyes@officeformac.com wrote:
> Version: 2008
> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
>
> I receive the message every time I try to check a word that the "custom dictionary is not available." I have tried the fixes recommended by others and they have not worked.

Hi,

You have to activate the custom dictionary before you can use it.

Here's an Excerpt from the upcoming Office 2008 form Mac All-in-One for
Dummies (available October 16):

Before we run our first spelling and grammar check, Word has a great
feature that comes turned off by default, and we need to turn it on. The
feature lets us add new words to a custom dictionary, so that Office
will learn new words as we work on our documents. Let�s turn on our
custom dictionary right now. You only have to do this once and then the
Spelling and Grammar Add feature will remain available to you from now
on not just in Word, but in all Office applications:

	1.	Choose Word-->Preferences, and open the Spelling and Grammar sheet
in the resultant window.
		Word�s Spelling and Grammar preferences pane opens.
	2.	In the Spelling section, click the Dictionaries button.
		The Custom Dictionaries window opens.
	3.	Click the Custom Dictionary checkbox.
	4.	Click OK to close Custom Dictionary.
	5.	Click OK to close Spelling and Grammar preferences.
Once you have performed the above steps, the Add button in Spelling and
Grammar becomes available, and the Add option becomes available in the
pop-up menu when you right-click or control-click on a word that�s been
flagged with a red squiggle.

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

I *can* use my custom dictionary with MS Word but I *cannot* use it in
Entourage; in Entourage, it's grayed-out. And, this is with the new one I
created after I followed the instructions for deleting the old one.

Any additional suggestions?

Thanks.

Karl.

"Jim Gordon MVP" wrote:

> Keyes@officeformac.com wrote:
> > Version: 2008
> > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
> >
> > I receive the message every time I try to check a word that the "custom dictionary is not available." I have tried the fixes recommended by others and they have not worked.
>
> Hi,
>
> You have to activate the custom dictionary before you can use it.
>
> Here's an Excerpt from the upcoming Office 2008 form Mac All-in-One for
> Dummies (available October 16):
>
> Before we run our first spelling and grammar check, Word has a great
> feature that comes turned off by default, and we need to turn it on. The
> feature lets us add new words to a custom dictionary, so that Office
> will learn new words as we work on our documents. Let’s turn on our
> custom dictionary right now. You only have to do this once and then the
> Spelling and Grammar Add feature will remain available to you from now
> on not just in Word, but in all Office applications:
>
> 	1.	Choose Word-->Preferences, and open the Spelling and Grammar sheet
> in the resultant window.
> 		Word’s Spelling and Grammar preferences pane opens.
> 	2.	In the Spelling section, click the Dictionaries button.
> 		The Custom Dictionaries window opens.
> 	3.	Click the Custom Dictionary checkbox.
> 	4.	Click OK to close Custom Dictionary.
> 	5.	Click OK to close Spelling and Grammar preferences.
> Once you have performed the above steps, the Add button in Spelling and
> Grammar becomes available, and the Add option becomes available in the
> pop-up menu when you right-click or control-click on a word that’s been
> flagged with a red squiggle.
>
> --
> Jim Gordon
> Mac MVP
> Co-author of Office 2008 for Mac All-in-One For Dummies
> http://tinyurl.com/Office-2008-for-Dummies

0
KDS (5)
9/18/2009 11:43:01 PM
On 9/18/09 4:43 PM, in article
7A17D46E-8D1C-4F63-BC2B-33ED8C009184@microsoft.com, "kds"
<kds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Any additional suggestions?

See if this link helps:

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq_topic/dict.html#dict4>

--
Diane

Jim,

I already read and followed your instructions from help you've given others,
thank you (as I noted I've tried everything I've read).  That has not helped.

Karl.

"Jim Gordon MVP" wrote:

> Keyes@officeformac.com wrote:
> > Version: 2008
> > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
> >
> > I receive the message every time I try to check a word that the "custom dictionary is not available." I have tried the fixes recommended by others and they have not worked.
>
> Hi,
>
> You have to activate the custom dictionary before you can use it.
>
> Here's an Excerpt from the upcoming Office 2008 form Mac All-in-One for
> Dummies (available October 16):
>
> Before we run our first spelling and grammar check, Word has a great
> feature that comes turned off by default, and we need to turn it on. The
> feature lets us add new words to a custom dictionary, so that Office
> will learn new words as we work on our documents. Let’s turn on our
> custom dictionary right now. You only have to do this once and then the
> Spelling and Grammar Add feature will remain available to you from now
> on not just in Word, but in all Office applications:
>
> 	1.	Choose Word-->Preferences, and open the Spelling and Grammar sheet
> in the resultant window.
> 		Word’s Spelling and Grammar preferences pane opens.
> 	2.	In the Spelling section, click the Dictionaries button.
> 		The Custom Dictionaries window opens.
> 	3.	Click the Custom Dictionary checkbox.
> 	4.	Click OK to close Custom Dictionary.
> 	5.	Click OK to close Spelling and Grammar preferences.
> Once you have performed the above steps, the Add button in Spelling and
> Grammar becomes available, and the Add option becomes available in the
> pop-up menu when you right-click or control-click on a word that’s been
> flagged with a red squiggle.
>
> --
> Jim Gordon
> Mac MVP
> Co-author of Office 2008 for Mac All-in-One For Dummies
> http://tinyurl.com/Office-2008-for-Dummies

0
KDS (5)
9/20/2009 10:34:04 PM
I had the same trouble; "custom dictionary" not available
I tried the suggestions listed her and they did not work.
What did work was the tips I found at http://discussions.apple.com/thread.j=
spa?messageID=3D10268163
Basically - open the custom dictionary file, remove the spaces at the
beginning of each line (word) and save. So far so good for me.

On Sep 20, 3:34=A0pm, kds <k...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Jim,
>
> I already read and followed your instructions from help you've given othe=
rs,
> thank you (as I noted I've tried everything I've read). =A0That has not h=
elped.

> Karl.
>
> "Jim Gordon MVP" wrote:
> > Ke...@officeformac.com wrote:
> > > Version: 2008
> > > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
>
> > > I receive the message every time I try to check a word that the "cust=
om dictionary is not available." I have tried the fixes recommended by othe=
rs and they have not worked.

> > Hi,
>
> > You have to activate the custom dictionary before you can use it.
>
> > Here's an Excerpt from the upcoming Office 2008 form Mac All-in-One for
> > Dummies (available October 16):
>
> > Before we run our first spelling and grammar check, Word has a great
> > feature that comes turned off by default, and we need to turn it on. Th=
> > feature lets us add new words to a custom dictionary, so that Office
> > will learn new words as we work on our documents. Let=92s turn on our
> > custom dictionary right now. You only have to do this once and then the
> > Spelling and Grammar Add feature will remain available to you from now
> > on not just in Word, but in all Office applications:
>
> > =A0 =A01. =A0 =A0 =A0Choose Word-->Preferences, and open the Spelling a=
nd Grammar sheet
> > in the resultant window.
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Word=92s Spelling and Grammar preferences pane o=
pens.
> > =A0 =A02. =A0 =A0 =A0In the Spelling section, click the Dictionaries bu=
tton.
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0The Custom Dictionaries window opens.
> > =A0 =A03. =A0 =A0 =A0Click the Custom Dictionary checkbox.
> > =A0 =A04. =A0 =A0 =A0Click OK to close Custom Dictionary.
> > =A0 =A05. =A0 =A0 =A0Click OK to close Spelling and Grammar preferences=
..
> > Once you have performed the above steps, the Add button in Spelling and
> > Grammar becomes available, and the Add option becomes available in the
> > pop-up menu when you right-click or control-click on a word that=92s be=
en
> > flagged with a red squiggle.
>
> > --
> > Jim Gordon
> > Mac MVP
> > Co-author of Office 2008 for Mac All-in-One For Dummies
> >http://tinyurl.com/Office-2008-for-Dummies

0
drrogera (1)
10/13/2009 9:01:59 PM
drrogera <drrogera@gmail.com> wrote:

> Basically - open the custom dictionary file, remove the spaces at the
> beginning of each line (word) and save. So far so good for me.

Usually, the problem is caused by an encoding corruption in the file.
The solution is to open the file in Word, make *any* change and save.
When you save, Word saves with the proper encoding and the file is
usable again.

The big question is "what corrupts the files" but so far no one really
seems to know,

Corentin

--
          --- Office:Mac MVP  http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ ---
korventeen (753)

Excel Not Responding #2
Windows 2000 Professional running Office XP. When opening a file over the network from Windows 2000 Server, it takes a long time and in the task manager it shows "not responding" Then suddenly it opens. When copying the file locally, it opens immediately. The environment is 10/100 Switched network. This is happening on machines with 100Mb network cards and the server has a 100Mb card as well. Any ideas would be appreciated..... ...

2 separate worrkbooks
On Mar 5, 7:05 pm, ranjan.k...@comcast.net wrote: > Hi, > I would appreciate any VBA code for the following: > I need to extract data from say ColumnA, ColumnB, ColumnE and ColumnG > from "workbook1" > and placed this data in the corresponding columns (ColumnD, ColumnF, > ColumnH, and ColumnK) in "workbook2". Hi, I had posted the following on March 3rd I had gotten a response, but unfortunately it not the totally correct. Can someone help out? > Can you help? > Thanks Ranjan Sub CopyWbk Dim src, dest i=1 Set src=Workbooks("Workbook1")...

How do I count the number of time 2 columns meet my criteria
Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this formula? I am trying to say if the text in column B = this, and the text from column C = this, and then count the returned values: =IF(b4:b118,"Consistent Support Staff",IF(C4:C118,"Positive"),"1","0")) -- mrswhit try =sumproduct((b4:b118="Consistent Support Staff")*(c4:C118="Positive")) -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Mrswhit9" <Mrswhit9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B9F52CA3-53...

VBA Customization History
Hi, Please let me know if there a way we can determine the customized VBA package import history in GP 10. Regards Sandeep, Not sure what you mean by "customized VBA package import history". However, this is what I interpret from your post: if you are looking to maintain a history of the changes done for a particular VBA customization, you may setup a project in say Visual SourceSafe and export a package file with the customization. You may version each file in Visual SourceSafe and add information as to the last time it was imported into GP. Best regards, -...

Why does the E2K3 IS take all available memory?
Hello, We're migrating from a third-party mailsystem to Exchange 2003. We have a custom-made migration tool which uses HTTP/WebDAV to import the messages from the old system into each user's Exchange mailbox. We're having a problem during the migration with the IS process eventually using up all available memory on the Exchange server and then becoming non-respoonsive; we have to restart the IS service to continue the migration. Does anyone know why it does this and how we can avoid it? The migration tool processes only one mailbox at a time. We're running the...

Convert Lotus Notes to Outlook #2
Need to convert my lotus notes mail and contacts to Outlook. Pls advise A Google search will find you many ways to do it. They tend to involve the purchase of some software. Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook Trainer and Consultant read my articles here: www.judygleeson.com Canberra, Australia how to post questions: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555375 "Ritesh" <Ritesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C60F0827-BB59-492A-ABE6-0BED60DF4F37@microsoft.com... > Need to convert my lotus notes mail and contacts to Outlook. Pls advise ...

Tasks, calendar and e-mail on the same window #2
I'd like to find an add-on template to Outlook 2003 that combines the 3 components of: Calendar, e-mail and tasks in the same window. I tried the FranklinCovey PlanPlus for Outlook which includes e-mail, notes and calendar, but not tasks. This add-on is getting close to what I'd consider as a good compromise, but with the addition of the Tasks it will allow me to be more productive. Any suggestions where I can find one like that will be very appriciated. ...

Saving graph when using =(RAND) #2
Aha, the goal of this is to see on the same chart, all of the different iterations from pressing F9. Ultimately, I'd like to see something like 500 different lines on the same chart. Is there a less manual way to accomplish this? :) -- deacs ------------------------------------------------------------------------ deacs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2321 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=271282 ...

220 Volt (NOT USA COMPLIANT) Severin Breadmaker 2.2 lbs Cool Touch
List Price:$166.69 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B00008WVGI Best price found: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B00008WVGI WILL NOT WORK IN USA ...

error #2
Hi, I had a vc++6 project. I had developed another project in vc++ NET 2003. I wanted some functionality from the new project in the old project. SO I converted the old project to .sln. I then took files from the new project and then added to the created solution. I get these errors though afxcwd.lib(afxmem.obj) : error LNK2005: "void * __cdecl operator new[](unsigned int)" (??_U@YAPAXI@Z) already defined in MSVCRTD.lib(MSVCR71D.dll) nafxcwd.lib(afxmem.obj) : error LNK2005: "void __cdecl operator delete[](void *)" (??_V@YAXPAX@Z) already defined in MSVCRTD.lib(MSV...

COMBOBOX #2
Ihave two combos and it has like 10 items .I am using control toobbox combo and I want values to come in second combo as I select infirst combo. all values are different for example If i select Green fruit in first combo then In second lemon and lime comes and then when i select lime it takes me to different worksheet which tells me the details of lime and so on. See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.Dropdowns.html -- HTH Bob Phillips "smiley" <smiley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF8A349D-62A2-4637-8C25-7910EBDACC06@microsoft.com... > Ihave tw...

Customization Microsoft CRM 3.0 Beta
Hi, In Microsoft CRM 3.0 Beta is an entity "Opportunity relationship" We want to customize this entity. The Type shows this entity is customizable but it's NOT. We have a few questions: 1 Is it possible in the final release Microsoft CRM 3.0 to customize it with the possibilities other 'regular' entyties have ( Forms and Views, Changing and adding attributes, Changing and adding Relationships)? 2 If NOT! Is is possible and advisable with the SDK Microsoft CRM. Greetings Maarten Questions related to the Beta should be placed in the private Beta newgroup. You can ...

Find distinct records of the last order from a customer
Hi I am trying to find a list of customers that have not bought anything for the last xx months. I have a salesorder table which holds an orderdate and customer account code, other customer details are held in the customers table. i have a table called soitemsdespatch thats holds the parts that have been sold to that customer. salesorder and soitemsdespatch are linked by sonumber. I was hoping that would show me the last orderdate for all customers and list them in order but it repeats customer orders but not all of them. What i would really like is one query that would show m...

Check box questions (2)
Hi, sorry if this has already been answered somewhere before but trawled through and couldn't find anything. I am using check boxes to perform calculations based on TRUE or FALSE 1. How can I get the cell link in the Format Control to update if copy and paste several rows with several check boxes further down th sheet? Ie. one check box links to C3 but I want to copy that whole row dow one and have the check box autoupdate its link to C4. 2. How can I get a sum of multiple IF results from my check boxes? For example: =(IF(A1=TRUE,50,0))+(IF(B1=TRUE,50,0)) So that if both check boxes ...

How Do I insert the keystrokes SHIFTF3 into a cell? #2
I am trying paste data from excel into another software program, In order to speed up data entry. In orde for it to work correctly I was wondering how I would tpye/insert the keystrokes ShiftF3 into a cell so that we I copy it over to the other software program it performs the function clear field(ShiftF3 performs the clear field command in the other software program). Or does anyone have any ideas how I would get around this issue? ...

Two "Personal folders" #2
Dear all; When opening outlook 2003, I see two personal folders. One with the "Home" icon and the other one with a sort of "directories" icon. They both have the same contents. Can I, and if so how, get rid of one of them ? Mark. If you right click on the duplicate "personal folders" (not the one that has Outlook Today next to it) and select Close, do you get an error? If yes, you most likely will have to create a new mail profile via the mail applet in the control panel (don't copy the existing one) and delete the old one. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Out...

gridlines #2
I am adding gridelines to my chart but for some reason the top row of my chart (axis) doesnt show the gridline across yet the other lines do? How do I get all the lines to go across?? You can show grid lines by following two ways 1.You can change the weight of the grid lines. so in the top grid line can be distinguished from plot area border. or 2.You can set plot area border to nothing so that top grid line can be shown -- mvengu ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mvengu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid...

Publisher 2007 Mail Merge #2
I'm trying to use an Excel file for a mail merge in Publisher (mailing labels). There are 50 addresses and I can only get Publisher to print each address across an entire sheet of labels so I end up with 30 labels with the same address. How do I set this up to print one address per label so I end up with 50 labels? thanks! larry ...

Major Short Squeeze Likely / FDA Drug Approval #2
Major Short Squeeze Likely / FDA Drug Approval There was a short attack on AVNR based on a report by a less than reputable publication. It opposed the analysis of Avanir's Neurodex drug up for FDA priority review & approval by Oct. 30th at the latest. If approved, it will have orphan status giving it a virtual monopoly on the market. The drug, with all indications approved could become a multi-billion dollar drug. Avanir just aquired Alamo Pharmaceuticals in a very slick deal which gives them access to a professional, fully train in-house pharmaceutical sales force and adds yet anothe...

downloading transactions #2
I have a strange problem. I don't believe that I've done anything to my laptop but my transactions to be downloaded don't appear even though it says "import completed" (being done on a floppy disk so I can have it on the laptop) --I also reinstalled the program and it's still doing the same thing. I went back to the reg computer and downloaded the transactions into the MM2004 program there, and then exported that file back onto the floppy disk, went back to the laptop and imported that file. Worked beautifully but this is a whole pile of extra work. One s...

Using files from lotus 1-2-3
I am using Office 2003 with Microsoft XP Home Edition. I open files previously saved in Lotus 1-2-3 as *.XLS. I am able to edit and add data to the file, but when I print the file it has a dense, large, black overlay of the first characters in the file name, obliterating much of the data. This shows in the print preview and in the final printed copy. How do I eliminate this overlay? Hi Alpan, as far as I have learned during the past years the Lotus 1-2-3 converter to MS Excel is not quite good and has several issues. Have you ever tried to leave the Lotus1-2-3 file as it is and l...

Dictionaries #2
It is clear that there are a number of dictionaries provided with Office 2004, but not all the dictionaries supported in Windows MSOffice are available for mac--is this some sort of agreement with Apple because apple doesn't support languages like Turkish, Arabic or Thai? As a linguist, they would be useful, and I would gladly pay a bit extra for them. The alternatives are not that attractive right now. In article <BCF1ECB6.491%greenknightamuraivel@hotmail.com>, Mark Thompson <greenknightamuraivel@hotmail.com> wrote: > It is clear that there are a number of dictiona...

How to gracefully (programmatically) kill an app? #2
Hi All, I have an app that runs 24x7. It is win32 console application & MFC support. It is socket based exe application. We are launching worker threads using AfxBeginThread. This exe always have minimum 50 - 60 worker threads.We are closing this application for every 24 hours manually. I mean, simply close the console window using mouse. We are getting some side effects becoz of closing the exe abnormally. Q: I want to close this application gracefully? How? Which mechanism is good to close all threads? -- Thanks & Regards, John. If this is an MFC application you ca...

Custom Control and the Kill Focus Event
I've got a custom control that I am implementing that behaves much like a combo box. When the user clicks the down arrow button, an new window is displayed that presents a Color Selector much like the one in MS Office. Now I've got everything working fine but one that that is causing me trouble is that when the Color selection drop down is shown the control gets a killfocus message. I don't really want a kill focus message to go out since my control hasn't really lost focus, its just given it to is dropdown window. Looking at SPY I see that the normal combo box doesn't ...

colum to rows #2
thank you for the suggestion but with some 15000 rows and maybe 1400 names in colum a, it would be very painfu -- alexander ----------------------------------------------------------------------- alexanderd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=498 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27543 How about a small macro? Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim iRow As Long Dim FirstRow As Long Dim LastRow As Long Dim wks As Worksheet Dim TopCell As Range Dim BotCell As Range Set wks = Worksheets(&q...