Cannot open or save office files to USB hard drive on Airport Extreme.

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

Hi, All of a sudden I can not open or save Office files (Word, Excel) to my WD USB hard drive that is connected to my Airport Extreme. If I copy the file to my Macbook I can open it, but I can't save it back to the USB HD. I can open all other types of files from the USB HD

These are the error messages

Word - word cannot complete the operation because too many files are open

Excel - Microsoft Excel cannot open or save any more documents because there is not enough available memory or disk space.

I have over 200GB of free space left on the USB HD.

Thank you for your help.
Phil

When's the last time you Quit & re-launched either of those programs or
rebooted your Mac?

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 4/28/09 11:57 PM, in article 59b732d4.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"philwillette@officeformac.com" <philwillette@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008
> Processor: Intel
>
> Hi, All of a sudden I can not open or save Office files (Word, Excel) to my WD
> USB hard drive that is connected to my Airport Extreme. If I copy the file to
> my Macbook I can open it, but I can't save it back to the USB HD. I can open
> all other types of files from the USB HD
>
> These are the error messages
>
> Word - word cannot complete the operation because too many files are open
>
> Excel - Microsoft Excel cannot open or save any more documents because there
> is not enough available memory or disk space.
>
> I have over 200GB of free space left on the USB HD.
>
> Thank you for your help.
> Phil

Hi Bob, I have restarted the Mac a few times and shut it down last night. This morning it still isn't working. I have shut down the USB HD also but I don't think it is the problem since I can open all other types of files from it.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

> When's the last time you Quit & re-launched either of those programs or
> rebooted your Mac?
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 4/28/09 11:57 PM, in article 59b732d4.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
> "philwillette@officeformac.com" wrote:
>
> > Version: 2008
> > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
> > Processor: Intel
> >
> > Hi, All of a sudden I can not open or save Office files (Word, Excel) to my WD
> > USB hard drive that is connected to my Airport Extreme. If I copy the file to
> > my Macbook I can open it, but I can't save it back to the USB HD. I can open
> > all other types of files from the USB HD
> >
> > These are the error messages
> >
> > Word - word cannot complete the operation because too many files are open
> >
> > Excel - Microsoft Excel cannot open or save any more documents because there
> > is not enough available memory or disk space.
> >
> > I have over 200GB of free space left on the USB HD.
> >
> > Thank you for your help.
> > Phil

Well, I'm not really a network guy so I'm not sure what to suggest other
than trying a repair of disk permissions. Those previous thoughts were more
of a general nature because they can contribute to similar behaviors.

Additional considerations are having Office & OS X - as well as your Airport
software & firmware - fully updated. For OS X updates use the Combo Update
from the Apple Downloads site rather than what's delivered by Software
Update:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx1056comboupdate.html

There are also several threads in the Mac Word group on this subject...
Search using the term: disk full.

--
HTH |:>)
Bob Jones

<philwillette@officeformac.com> wrote in message
> Hi Bob, I have restarted the Mac a few times and shut it down last night.
> This morning it still isn't working. I have shut down the USB HD also but
> I don't think it is the problem since I can open all other types of files
> from it.
>
> Thanks for any help you can offer.
>
>> When's the last time you Quit & re-launched either of those programs or
>> rebooted your Mac?
>>
>> Regards |:>)
>> Bob Jones
>> [MVP] Office:Mac
>>

>> On 4/28/09 11:57 PM, in article 59b732d4.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
>> "philwillette@officeformac.com" wrote:
>>
>> > Version: 2008
>> > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
>> > Processor: Intel
>> >
>> > Hi, All of a sudden I can not open or save Office files (Word, Excel)
>> > to my WD
>> > USB hard drive that is connected to my Airport Extreme. If I copy the
>> > file to
>> > my Macbook I can open it, but I can't save it back to the USB HD. I can
>> > open
>> > all other types of files from the USB HD
>> >
>> > These are the error messages
>> >
>> > Word - word cannot complete the operation because too many files are
>> > open
>> >
>> > Excel - Microsoft Excel cannot open or save any more documents because
>> > there
>> > is not enough available memory or disk space.
>> >
>> > I have over 200GB of free space left on the USB HD.
>> >
>> > Thank you for your help.
>> > Phil

0
CyberTaz
4/29/2009 4:53:07 PM
Thanks Bob I will try the combo update.
Another note - I can open the Office files from my PC that is connected to the Airport Extreme with no problems.