Auto Update Problem

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I have been trying to update my Office 2008 Student and Home edition.

I have tried within the different softwares and by manually downloading the updates. I currently have version 12.0.

The updates download properly, then I start the installation process. I get the following:

Installing Office SP1 Update
Running Auto Update Installer Script

No matter how long I leave the computer - it never moves beyond 1 bar - the longest I left it was 5 hours.

I have 3 updates I have to do 12.1, 12.11 and 12.12. Can you please assist?

I have the original disks.

Thank you
0
Eithne (1)

"Eithne@officeformac.com" wrote:

> The updates download properly, then I start the installation process. I get
> the following:
>
> Installing Office SP1 Update
> Running Auto Update Installer Script

Are you downloading the updates or are you using the AutoUpdate?

Office comes with an AutoUpdate that has to be updated first. It sounds like
you skipped the step to update the original and the script is trying to find
the newer version to update.

If you follow the steps described here, you should be able to update.

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/install/install_office2008.html>

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)
8/31/2008 1:47:25 AM
I do not get the option to update "The Updater"

I did look at your page before posting this note. When I select check for updates from the main installation menu - it automatically goes to 12.1.0.

There is no AutoUpdate 2.1.1

Do you know where I can get a copy of this file manually?

Thanks

      "Eithne@officeformac.com" wrote:

      > The updates download properly, then I start the installation process.
      I get > the following: > > Installing Office SP1 Update > Running Auto
      Update Installer Script

      Are you downloading the updates or are you using the AutoUpdate?

      Office comes with an AutoUpdate that has to be updated first. It sounds
      like you skipped the step to update the original and the script is trying
      to find the newer version to update.

      If you follow the steps described here, you should be able to update.

      -- Diane

Checking my software

I have Auto Update 2.1.1 - I still have the same problem with it just not installing

It still says the same message as above
"" wrote:

> I have Auto Update 2.1.1 - I still have the same problem with it just not
> installing

I believe it's in the SP1 that it updates the MAU to 2.2.0.

I would use "Remove Office" and start over after you run the latest Apple
combo updater and run Repair Permissions.

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)
8/31/2008 3:48:36 AM
Thank you for your continued assistance.

I am just converting to Mac from PC - I don't know how to do what you have suggested.

If I go to the Apple on the top left and select software updates - it says my computer is up-to-date. I am not sure if that is what you mean.

Can you please provide a little more information?

Thank you for your patience
"" wrote:

> I am just converting to Mac from PC - I don't know how to do what you have
> suggested.

Cheers and Welcome to Mac! I have a few tips and links posted to help new
users here:

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/new2mac/index.html>

> If I go to the Apple on the top left and select software updates - it says my
> computer is up-to-date. I am not sure if that is what you mean.
>
> Can you please provide a little more information?

That's for Apple system updates. Under the Help menu in any Office
application, you can launch the AutoUpdater by selecting "Check for Updates"

When the AutoUpdater launches, you will see it in the Dock. Click and hold
on the icon and select "Keep in Dock." Log out by selecting Log Out under
the Apple in the Menu bar. Log In with the Shift key down. This disables all
running applications. Click on the Dock icon for the AutoUpdater. It will
download the correct updates.

Follow the steps here:
<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/install/install_office2008.html>

This page shows the install with screenshots.

Install Office for Mac 2008 with updates
<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/install/install.html>

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)
8/31/2008 8:48:13 PM
I appreciate your assistance.

Unfortunately, the above just doesn't work. I never get the option to update the Auto Updater (I have 2.1.1 when I check the version). I just get 12.1.0 and it just hangs there - never moving past the first bar of updating Updater Script.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, repairing permissions, everything but deleting the entire drive and trying to start again (only because I am not sure how to do this).

Just how crucial are these updates? If I can't get them to work - what are my options?

Thanks again for your patience.
"" wrote:

> Unfortunately, the above just doesn't work. I never get the option to update
> the Auto Updater (I have 2.1.1 when I check the version). I just get 12.1.0
> and it just hangs there - never moving past the first bar of updating Updater
> Script.
>
> I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, repairing
> permissions, everything but deleting the entire drive and trying to start
> again (only because I am not sure how to do this).
>
> Just how crucial are these updates? If I can't get them to work - what are my
> options?

Not being able to update is a problem. You are at least, at the SP1 12.1.0
level that was the first big combo for Office 2008. As soon as you have the
time, I suggest an "Archive & Install."

Archive and Install

1)  Insert the Mac OS X Install Disc and double-click the Install Mac OS X
icon.

2)  Follow the onscreen instructions. In the pane where you select the
destination disk, select your current Mac OS X disk (in most cases, it will
be the only one available).

3)  Click Options. If you want to save your existing files, users, and
network settings, select �Archive and Install,� and then select �Preserve
Users and Network Settings.� If you want to erase everything on your
computer and reinstall Mac OS X, select �Erase and Install.� You can�t
recover erased data.

4)  Click Continue.

5)  Click Customize to select which parts of Mac OS X you�d like to install,
or click Install to perform a basic installation (recommended).

Once the install has finished, your system will be at whatever level the
disk you have is. So if your Install DVD/CD disk is 10.5.0, that's what
version of OS will be on your Mac. You will need to download the appropriate
Combo Updater from Apple's site to restore the system to a higher version.
After you run the combo, allow Software Update to download and install any
additional updates.

The last time I had to do an "Archive & Install" the only thing I had to
re-install was my Microsoft keyboard software.

If you can't install the updates after this, I'll be surprised.

BTW, were are you located? Have you checked to see if there is a Mac User
Group in your area?

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)
9/1/2008 4:11:07 AM
Thank you so much for your continued assistance.

Viola - it is all good now thanks to your help.

I am in Vancouver, BC - I a university student so I will barter Mac help for some editing or something.

This forum is a very valuable resource.

Thanks again!

      "" wrote:

      > Unfortunately, the above just doesn't work. I never get the option to
      update > the Auto Updater (I have 2.1.1 when I check the version). I just
      get 12.1.0 > and it just hangs there - never moving past the first bar
      of updating Updater > Script. > > I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling
      the software, repairing > permissions, everything but deleting the entire
      drive and trying to start > again (only because I am not sure how to do
      this). > > Just how crucial are these updates? If I can't get them to
      work - what are my > options?

      Not being able to update is a problem. You are at least, at the SP1 12.1.0
      level that was the first big combo for Office 2008. As soon as you have
      the time, I suggest an "Archive & Install."

      Archive and Install

      1) Insert the Mac OS X Install Disc and double-click the Install Mac OS
      X icon.

      2) Follow the onscreen instructions. In the pane where you select the
      destination disk, select your current Mac OS X disk (in most cases, it
      will be the only one available).

      3) Click Options. If you want to save your existing files, users, and
      network settings, select &#65533;Archive and Install,&#65533; and then
      select &#65533;Preserve Users and Network Settings.&#65533; If you want
      to erase everything on your computer and reinstall Mac OS X, select &#65533;Erase
      and Install.&#65533; You can&#65533;t recover erased data.

      4) Click Continue.

      5) Click Customize to select which parts of Mac OS X you&#65533;d like
      to install, or click Install to perform a basic installation (recommended).

      Once the install has finished, your system will be at whatever level the
      disk you have is. So if your Install DVD/CD disk is 10.5.0, that's what
      version of OS will be on your Mac. You will need to download the appropriate
      Combo Updater from Apple's site to restore the system to a higher version.
      After you run the combo, allow Software Update to download and install
      any additional updates.

      The last time I had to do an "Archive & Install" the only thing I had
      to re-install was my Microsoft keyboard software.

      If you can't install the updates after this, I'll be surprised.

      BTW, were are you located? Have you checked to see if there is a Mac User
      Group in your area?

      -- Diane

      I am having the same problem and I do not have the Mac disks. Is there
      another workaround?

0
Denis
9/3/2008 3:32:46 AM
"Denis Viau " wrote:

> I am having the same problem and I do not have the Mac disks. Is there
>       another workaround?

If you have tried all the other solutions, then I would look to borrow the
install CD. Since you have added onto this thread, I have no clue what you
have actually tried. It's always best to start your own thread with details
of your problem.

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)

Update Stock Price
I own Money 2002 and I've periodically done manual and online updates, but is there a way to to an online update for a stocks price that will update the historical price not only for the current day, but for any days I missed in between. Thanks in Advance for any help that can be offered. No. "Nick" <nmoshou@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:039601c398ed$e8473e00$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I own Money 2002 and I've periodically done manual and > online updates, but is there a way to to an online update > for a stocks price that will update the historical pric...

Updated Office, now I'm no longer Registered
Help. I downloaded the Offixe X updates, and went to open Microsoft Word, and all of a sudden, its as if I was installing a brand new product, asking for my information, and product key (which of course, I can't find). Has anyone experienced this? Or, does anyone know if Macs store any kind of registry information? I appreciate any feedback! (other than "losing your registration key was reeeeeally smart!" :)) Thanks so much. Lisette On 12/23/06 11:58 AM, in article 1166903892.442462.51840@a3g2000cwd.googlegroups.com, "lisettea@mac.com" <lisettea@mac.com> wrot...

New Problem
In 2007: In a form I created a button, used the wizard to set it to go to next record when clicked. When I click it, I get this: The expression ON CLICK you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Ambiguous name detected: PRINT_CLICK. Now, if I wrote the VBA/Macro, I could understand it not working if I made a mistake, but this button was generated by ACCESS and doesn't work. Same problem with Previous record button and Save Record button. Thanks in advance, Vito On 13 May 2010 16:00:59 GMT, Vito wrote: > In 2007: > > In ...

Authentication mode
Hi: Currently I have installed the MS CRM 1.2 Server on a server that host another application(sharepoint portal server & project server), this application requires SQL Authentication for work,but CRM requieres Windows Authentication Mode; at least the CRM implementacion guide document recommends this type of authentication, is there any way for work with both applications on same server ?. Microsoft CRM can work with SQL in mix mode authentication. Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm San Francisco, CA "Rafael Diaz" wrote: > Hi: > >...

Problems with Access 2000 reports in Access 2003
Hi, we have a sent out a 2000 format access database to a client running Access 2003. When trying to open any of the reports they get an error - "the openreport action was cancelled" - Not sure if they get this by running the report from the database window or if it's only when done through a form (buttons that run docmd.openreport when pressed). Is anyone aware of any issues that may be causing this? I couldn't find anything elsewhere on the MS site. Thanks - Angie P.S. the reports work fine in 2000 and XP. ...

Money 2007 fails additional update
I am trying to use Money 2007 Premium on my new computer (Windows XP SP2) and it installs fine, but when I start Money it notifies me that an additional update is required. It looks like it downloads the files properly but fails the add'l install. I have tried the following: uninstall and install again turn off all virus protection (Panda) firewalls, etc. download directly from the web None of these have helped. I saw one article on this problem that said to remove a Core File, but I can not find it on my computer. Please help. -- Josie In microsoft.public.money, Josie wrote...

Automatic Update application ignores permissions
I have a managed account on my computer - I've allowed the user to launch all Office applications except the Updater, Remove Office, and the Handheld Sync Installer. However, if the user clicks "Check for updates" in the Help menu in Word, the Updater application launches, and the AU daemon is put in the list of applications to startup on login. I guess this is the place to report such a bug - does anyone know how to prevent the user from launching the Updater application in this way? Does the user account have the "Allow Supporting Programs" box in the allow/disall...

OFFSET problems in dynamic range
Hi, I'm having the strangest problem with the OFFSET function. I have 5 dynamic ranges in my worksheet. Aimline =OFFSET('Weekly ORF'!$F$4,1,0,COUNTA('Weekly ORF'$F:$F)-1,1) Sessions =OFFSET ('Weekly ORF'!$D$4,1,0,COUNTA('Weekly ORF'$E:$E)-1,1) WCPM =OFFSET ('Weekly ORF'!$G$4,1,0,COUNTA('Weekly ORF'$G:$G)-1,1) Date =OFFSET ('Weekly ORF'!Aimline,0,-1) Date2 =OFFSET ('Weekly ORF'!WCPM,0,-1) The problem is that the two names for Date and Date2 keep reverting to =OFFSET ('Excel Template.xls'!Aimline,0,-1) and =OFFSET (&#...

Auto Recovery #4
Hello everybody I have in excel option the autorecovery function on and is saving in the following path : C:\Documents and Settings\mnikolaou\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel The problem is that i was working a file and make some chanes while my computer crashes. When i made a restart it was imposible to find out the file i was working. not even in a recovery format. Is that option works properly or i have to make some other changes in the options in order to have backup files while i am working? Thanks in advance Manos Auto Recovery is supposed to work automatically so that you do n...

OnGetMinMaxInfo problem
Hi, I added an OnMinMaxInfo() function to my dialog so i can set the minimum tracking width and height for my dialog, I added this prototype to my dialog class: afx_msg void OnGetMinMaxInfo(MINMAXINFO* lpMMI); Then I added this function to set the min and max values: void CMessDlg::OnGetMinMaxInfo(MINMAXINFO* lpMMI) { POINT min; min.x = 200; min.y = 200; lpMMI->ptMinTrackSize = min; CDialog::OnGetMinMaxInfo(lpMMI); } It compiles but i can still resize the dialog to a smaller width/height, Any help would be apreciated :) Thx in advance, Thomas "Thomas" <Da_QuiK@fake...

Urgent Question Please Help: Credit Card Setup Problem
We have an urgent question regarding credit card setup/cash receipts/bank rec We understand that in Great Plains when setting up a Credit Card to be used by a Customer, it must be setup as a "Bank Card", not a "Charge Card", in order for the transaction to hit Bank Rec. However, we mistakenly setup all the Credit Cards as "Charge Cards", therefore after posting Credit Card Cash Receipt transactions in Receivables, the transaction does not appear in Bank Rec for us to perform Bank Deposits. Please Please Help!!! Is there any way to "fix" those pos...

Problem running MS CRM 3.0 over SSL (https)
I have setup an install of Microsoft CRM 3.0 on a high spec Windows 2003 Small Business Server and it all worked happily. I then generated an SSL certificate and applied it to the site in IIS. Initially when you load CRM (using the web client) it loads the left hand menu and navigation panes and shows the top menus and the user which is logged in however to main content area remains blank. After a time out period the error "An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system administrator" appears. The strange thing is you can navigate the menus etc and even edit...

WindowsCE problems
I have some problems building application for Pocket PC (MDA1), maybe someone could help me. I have these two problems: -I need to create modal dialog box, but after creation sometimes I need to access it (in response to system calls) and show some messages... what is the best way to access modal dialog box while it's running? -is there a way to change colors of single items in list-view control ? Currently, when I'm using SetTextColor before each InsertItem, color changes but for all items in list-view (CListCtrl) :\ Is there way make this work? I'm using Microsoft eMbedded Visu...

Draft Folder problem #2
I'm running outlook 2000. My draft folder is called draft1. Can't seem to rename it! There isn't a folder named draft so what's happening? Isn't a big problem, but I should be able to solve it and I can't. Help. Thanks in advance Peter You could try to start Outlook from the run line with the /resetfoldernames switch. Start-->Run outlook.exe /resetfoldernames Reference: http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/HP010031101033.aspx "Peter Brown" <peter.jennifer@gmail.com> wrote in message news:TErag.449$TF.2645@news-1.opaltelecom.net... &...

Auto Filling fields in form
I am new at creating code and would like to have two fields populated when the record is reviewed. One is the user name and the other is the date reviewed. There is a form which contains the Member Name and ID number. I would like to add the two auto fill fields in the Parent form and have it fill in the subform fields for that particular member using a trigger of some sort. Any advice would be appreciated. Bev Access forms display data... Access tables store it. If you want to see data from a record in a table in your form, your controls in the form need to be poin...

Problem of ghost unread posts?
Hi All! I'm using Outlook Express. Three times today I'm seeing unread posts reported that can't be found. Synchronizing doesn't cure the problem. When I use Edit > Mark All Read I get an OE hang up. Ctrl + Alt + Del > End Task Return to News and the ghost has gone. Anyone else? Cause? Solution? Not critical but annoying. I wonder if it's a remains of a spam that's been removed before I read it. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available fr...

Problem Sending Mail w/Outlook 2002
I receive and send a lot of email using Outlook 2002 and my Gmail account with no problem. However, I have two friends to whom I send emails that are always returned. I get an error message like this: Technical details of permanent failure: PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 550 Invalid recipient: However, if I send the emails to them directly from Gmail, they go through just fine. Can anyone explain why they fail with Outlook? Pat This sounds like an issue with the SMTP server you have setup in outlook - not outlook itself. "patetc" <PatETC@gmail.com> wrote in messag...

Software Distribution
Hi, I try to install software using msi with mst. Software supplier told that I must run msi two times. First for some options and secound for another ( language option ). I try solve this with two way: 1) Add two mst to one package. I prepare mst with ORCA. After add secound mst and click OK i got error: "An error occurred accessing the software installation data in the active directory" and event log: Event id 110: Software Installation was unable to generate the script for \\dc\client.msi. The following error was encountered: Error applying transforms. Veri...

Updating Accounts #2
I just upgraded to Money Plus Deluxe (Have XP) When I go into Money it states its "updating account" and my CPU usage is at 99% when I run Money. There are NO accounts that are being automatically updated as I do them all manually. The "updating accounts" icon stays up until I finally have to turn off computer because I cannot work on any other part of money as it says it is doing an online function. PLEASE HELP.. It also goes online to seek its own updates. Do you have SSL2 enabled in Internet Options? Do you have firewall software enabled beyond the XP firewall...

Updating 2004 FI list
Does anyone know how to update Money 2004's Financial Institution list? When I check to see if my FI is online and supported, it is. When I check the Money 2004 list, it is not there. Any solutions? Thank you, any help would be great. -- Thanks, Andrew ...

Outlook 2002 auto send/receive no longer working
For some reason my pop3 dailup no longer sends/receives automatically when launching outlook, or at timed intervals. Can someone help with suggestions on reseting this feature? XP Pro I'm using. I even did a repair of Office XP and a clean install. Thanks for any help! What are your Send/Receive group settings? Have you checked in the File menu to see if you have set your installation to Work Offline? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "circuit slave" <sh101@earthling.net> wrote in message news:2aee226c.0308230131.2914b6b5@posting.google.com... > For some reason my pop3 ...

Problems saving HKLM
Hi there, I am trying to save the reg keys into a file: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG HKEY_CURRENT_USER HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE HKEY_USERS My program has both "SeBackupPrivilege" and "SeRestorePrivilege". I am using the RegSaveKey API. The program succesfully stores these: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG HKEY_CURRENT_USER The machine does not store these: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE HKEY_USERS Error ("Access is denied"). Can someone tell me how to save the HKLM amd HKU? This probably what the problem is: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?ur...

How to disable inline auto-indent/spaces when replying
Good Morning, When I reply on a message, and want to write between the tekst I replied to, it automatically adds a space before and after my cursor. So if I edit: "Today it is 9 Oktober 2007" To 9 October, I get this: "Today it is 9 O c tober" How can I turn this off? Thanks in advance, Joost Pastoor ...

EUREKA -- the mutual fund problem is fixed
I just tried once more to update my Fidelity Funds in MS Money and, this time, the update worked. Both the quotes and the date were correct. EUREKA! Honestly, thanks to all who, like me, bugged Microsoft endlessly to understand the complexities of this problem and to get it fixed. We did it! "Chuck Leven" <CHLeven@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%230lQmZ03FHA.3636@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... >I just tried once more to update my Fidelity Funds in MS Money and, this >time, the update worked. Both the quotes and the date were correct. >EUREKA! Mine just upda...