APA STYLE

I HAVE BEEN USEING THE APA STYLE WITH MY PC AND WAS HAPPY TO SEE IT ON MY NEW MAC BUT I HAVE NOT FOUND THAT IT IS A TRUE APA STYLE. MAYBE I AM MISSING SOMETHING IS THIER ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN GIVE ME ON FORMAT, AND REFERENCES USE WITH THIS PROGRAM? IT WOULD BE NICE TO USE THE NEW COMPUTER TO WRITE MY PAPERS.<br>
MAHALO, CONNIE
0
ERKANI (1)

Hi Connie,

Typing in all caps is interpreted on the web as YELLING, and so it's a
bit rude. It's also quite difficult to read.

What version of Word are you using?

Do you mean the citation manager, that generates citations for you,
doesn't seem to be a true APA style?  Your problem is not clear.

ERKANI@officeformac.com wrote:
> I HAVE BEEN USEING THE APA STYLE WITH MY PC AND WAS HAPPY TO SEE IT ON
> MY NEW MAC BUT I HAVE NOT FOUND THAT IT IS A TRUE APA STYLE. MAYBE I
> AM MISSING SOMETHING IS THIER ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN GIVE ME ON
> FORMAT, AND REFERENCES USE WITH THIS PROGRAM? IT WOULD BE NICE TO USE
> THE NEW COMPUTER TO WRITE MY PAPERS.
> MAHALO, CONNIE
0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
2/4/2008 10:01:59 PM
In article <ee8c0f9.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>,
<ERKANI@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I HAVE BEEN USEING THE APA STYLE WITH MY PC AND WAS HAPPY TO SEE IT ON MY NEW
> MAC BUT I HAVE NOT FOUND THAT IT IS A TRUE APA STYLE. MAYBE I AM MISSING
> SOMETHING IS THIER ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN GIVE ME ON FORMAT, AND REFERENCES
> USE WITH THIS PROGRAM? IT WOULD BE NICE TO USE THE NEW COMPUTER TO WRITE MY
> PAPERS.<br>

Your CapsLock key is broken.
0
rag (68)
2/4/2008 11:49:44 PM
In article <ee8c0f9.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>,
 ERKANI@officeformac.com wrote:

> I HAVE BEEN USEING

I'd read the rest of your message, but ALL CAPS MAKE MY EYES HURT.
Also, I have never heard of this "APA style".

Sorry.  Try typing normally next time.

--
Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to

JR
In article
<jollyroger-26D7F0.19032104022008@70-3-168-216.area5.spcsdns.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> I'd read the rest of your message, but ALL CAPS MAKE MY EYES HURT.
> Also, I have never heard of this "APA style".
>
> Sorry.  Try typing normally next time.

Probably Associated Press style...would be my guess.
0
rag (68)
2/5/2008 2:48:42 AM
Mr. Strat wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd read the rest of your message, but ALL CAPS MAKE MY EYES HURT.
>> Also, I have never heard of this "APA style".
>>
>> Sorry.  Try typing normally next time.
>>

> Probably Associated Press style...would be my guess.

American Psychological Association. Very common for professors to tell
students papers needs to be in APA style for citations and
layout--students, instead of simply googling, then expect MS Word to
magically achieve this at the click of a button.

All caps makes my eyes hurt too.
0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
2/5/2008 12:35:18 PM
Yes, Daiya is right on the money. You can learn more about this citation
style at http://www.apa.org, amongst many other sites online.

If the OP can be more specific about how we do not honor APA rules, I can
probably be of more assistance.

Thanks,

Curt

On 2/5/08 4:35 AM, in article O1hlRO$ZIHA.1960@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl, "Daiya
Mitchell" <daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID> wrote:

> Mr. Strat wrote:
>> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd read the rest of your message, but ALL CAPS MAKE MY EYES HURT.
>>> Also, I have never heard of this "APA style".
>>>
>>> Sorry.  Try typing normally next time.
>>>

>> Probably Associated Press style...would be my guess.
>>

> American Psychological Association. Very common for professors to tell
> students papers needs to be in APA style for citations and
> layout--students, instead of simply googling, then expect MS Word to
> magically achieve this at the click of a button.
>
> All caps makes my eyes hurt too.

--
Curt Laird
Software Development Engineer in Test

This posting is provided �AS IS� with no warranties, and confers no rights.

0
curtl1 (7)
2/6/2008 12:36:05 AM
I've been looking for the APA template for Mac also. There are quite a few templates on the office site:
 <http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC300000521033.aspx?CategoryID=CT101172711033>

But this doesn't work for Mac.

Try using:
 <http://www.apastyle.info/downloads/apa-template-5.0611.doc>
0
kfhutch26 (1)
3/22/2008 9:47:45 AM
I have Microsoft Office:Mac 2008. When writing my paper I also filled in the information for my references in the citation section. When I wanted to print my draft, I could not print the bibliography no matter how much I tried. I incorporated the help of friends, but no help. Fine, I told myself, I'll figure it out when I print the final paper.

In the meantime I did a software update for Microsoft office and guess what, all my references disappeared. I typed them in again. Saved and when I went back to my document my bibliography was gone. I typed it in again, and it disappeared again. I typed it again, tried to print but no cigar. NOW it is gone again. Can anyone help?????
0
Lorna1 (1)
3/24/2008 2:30:30 AM
Things that could kill a bibliography:
1) saving as .doc
2) deleting or moving the Sources.xml file in
[username]/Documents/Microsoft User Data/

Did you do either of those?

When you say typed the bibliography, tell me exactly what you did, step
by step, please.

In the future, please start a new thread when you have a new question,
instead of hijacking a vaguely related thread.

Lorna@officeformac.com wrote:
> I have Microsoft Office:Mac 2008. When writing my paper I also filled in the information for my references in the citation section. When I wanted to print my draft, I could not print the bibliography no matter how much I tried. I incorporated the help of friends, but no help. Fine, I told myself, I'll figure it out when I print the final paper.
>
> In the meantime I did a software update for Microsoft office and guess what, all my references disappeared. I typed them in again. Saved and when I went back to my document my bibliography was gone. I typed it in again, and it disappeared again. I typed it again, tried to print but no cigar. NOW it is gone again. Can anyone help?????

0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
3/24/2008 3:01:26 PM
I am having problems with the in-text citations for APA style as well.
The format is supposed to be:
(Author's last name, year)

The citation feature formats the citations this way:
(Author's last name, article title, year)

So, I either must manually delete the title from the citation, or select the citation, and use the drop down menu to edit the citation and suppress the title. The second option would be great if it would make a permanent change. As it is, it only makes the change for THAT instance of THAT citation. The next time I use that citation or the next citation, it is back to the improper formatting.

Very frustrating, and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rachel
0
pigstubs (1)

save background style for reuse
I have a presentation that has a background style that I'd like to be able to reuse in future presentations. How can I save this style so that I can begin a new presentation and select that saved background style? I'm using PowerPoint 2007. I believe that my terminology is correct in my specifying background style rather than the older design template and as opposed to the new concept of themes. The background styles are saved as part of the themes. You can use the file you have and save it as a PPTX or POTX or even THMX and apply it as a theme or template to another...

Best way to change style of a table
I have a table I added via VBA like this: set oTable = ActivePresentation.Slides("mySlide").Shapes.AddTable(...) I then add some cells to it by: oTable.Cell(...).Shape.TextFrame.TextRange.Text = "some text" However, I cannot get a handle on these cells to update the font, fill, etc. What is the best way to do this? On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 21:01:01 -0500, Clifton Ivey <clifton ivey <"africom.mil>"> wrote: > I have a table I added via VBA like this: > > set oTable = ActivePresentation.Slides("mySlide").Shapes.AddTa...

STYLES #2
Hi, Does anyone know how to find-and-replace text styles in Publisher 2003? Format, text schemes... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Subligaria" <Subligaria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6DF4386A-46FE-4C9A-9A2B-ED5A28DEACD9@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > Does anyone know how to find-and-replace text styles in Publisher 2003? Do you mean Format, Font Schemes? What I want to do is replace all instances of one style (actually, 'Step') with one called 'Body'). I&...

APA STYLE
I HAVE BEEN USEING THE APA STYLE WITH MY PC AND WAS HAPPY TO SEE IT ON MY NEW MAC BUT I HAVE NOT FOUND THAT IT IS A TRUE APA STYLE. MAYBE I AM MISSING SOMETHING IS THIER ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN GIVE ME ON FORMAT, AND REFERENCES USE WITH THIS PROGRAM? IT WOULD BE NICE TO USE THE NEW COMPUTER TO WRITE MY PAPERS.<br> MAHALO, CONNIE Hi Connie, Typing in all caps is interpreted on the web as YELLING, and so it's a bit rude. It's also quite difficult to read. What version of Word are you using? Do you mean the citation manager, that generates citations for you, doesn't seem t...

Need help with style sets
Sorry, but I'm just not assmilating the styles model in Word 2007. What is a Quick Style, and how does it differ from a non-Quick Style? Are Quick Styles what appear in the gallery of styles in the Styles block of the Home tab? What is special about them other than appearing in the gallery? Why should I use them? (I find the Styles window easier to use.) Why do styles appear in the Quick Style gallery even if they are not used, whereas if I open the Styles window it only shows the styles in use? How can I know what styles are available to me for a given style set? How...

CDateTimerCtrl Style...
How to change CDateTimeCtrl style in runtime on TIMEFORMAT? I try to change with SendMessage :-( and GetWindowLong my source code: CDateTimeCtrl *TimeCtrl = (CDateTimeCtrl*)GetDlgItem(IDC_TIME); GetWindowLong(TimeCtrl->GetSafeHwnd(),GWL_STYLE); SetWindowLong(TimeCtrl->GetSafeHwnd(),DWL_USER,DTS_TIMEFORMAT) and:SendMessage(TimeCtrl->GetSafeHwnd(),DTM_SETFORMAT,0,(LPARAM)DTS_TIMEFORM AT); Thx in advance DexterII I found it, it's wery eazy: CDateTimeCtrl *TimeCtrl = (CDateTimeCtrl*)GetDlgItem(IDC_TIME); TimeCtrl->ModifyStyle(0,DTS_TIMEFORMAT); Bye, DexterII &qu...

Transaction Deadlock with worksheet Style 250
My data entry has reported that some changes does not affect store data; when i checked the worksheet, it is flag was green and the history say completed successfully. but when i checked the event log there was an error says "Transaction deadlocked" then completed with NO ERRORS. Has anyone know what has happened ? why it is completed with no errors (although there was an error) without affecting the data ? Daer Mahmoud, Many of these issues were resolved with 1.3 as the speed of the communication was greatly improved. Have you upgraded to 1.3 or are you still on 1.2???...

Word 2007
In Word 2003 you can define a new number format list with Number style (None). It is not possible in Word 2007 because the OK button is not activated when (None) is choosen. To create a list like this is useful if you want to repeat a text on every line in a list without a number. My work around for this time was to do a list in Word 2003 version and then copy it into Word 2007. I look forward to get an answere from someone out there. Best regards, Lisa It is true that you can't do this for simple lists in Word 2007, but you can do it for multilevel lists; see h...

pushbutton style?
Does pushbutton have a style of "being pressed down"? when I click again on that button, it would resume original state. I saw this very often. thanks Use the checkbox and enable its PushLike style. ( BS_PUSHLIKE ) -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Patrick Zou" <patrick_zou@no_spam_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OufFIxdZEHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Does pushbutton have a style of "being pressed down"? when I click again on > that button, it would resume original state. I saw this very often. >...

Create an automatic paragraph style
Using Word 2007. I like to format my paragraphs with the first line indented by 0.13. I know how to do this through Format/paragraph but now I have to do that everytime I start a new document. Is there a way to make this a default "style" I can have automatically for any new document? Thank you, Jeff Presumably you don't use styles and everything you type is in normal style. Modify Normal Style to include the indent but make sure to check the option for all document based on this template. When you close Word, you will be prompted to save changes to the glob...

XP visual styles problem
Hi all, we have an application in VC6 (using some old Stingray components) and I have enabled XP visual styles by MS recommended method - manifest, etc. etc. This week, out of the blue, styles for property sheet tabs (just the tab headers), list control and tree control are just gone... Note that controls within a dialog DO have XP styles. I rolled back changes made that day, all worked fine. Started adding new code back piece by piece until it happened. Removed my last change, no good. I had to roll back everything again for the styles to come back. Because of the deadline (and styles ...

How to create word style toolbar using MFC?
Hello All In MS Word, by default several toolbars are visible. Typically, each toolbar has several buttons, combo boxes etc. However, there are only few of them visible. There is an arrow button (usually on right end of the tool bar) clicking which a dialog consisting of other (non-visible) buttons shows up. This dialog also contains "Add Or Remove Buttons" menu item. The end user can use these to customise his toolbar. How to achieve this feature using an MFC toolbar? Does any of CToolBar, CToolBarCtrl, CReBar or CReBarCtrl or any other class provide such feature? Any help is appr...

Numbering figures by chapter: styles help requested

How do I change (and save) the page style in Outlook 2003?
I put in a backround color, and a format style for my text. I want to change it back and save it. But it keeps returning to the way I first set it. How do I save the new changes???? ...

where can I find an xcel style that is like greenbar paper ?
I'd like to find a style for xcel that has every other line a specific color like the old greebar paper. I can't seem to find one...any ideas? Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/banding.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "cherylsh" <cherylsh@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:E18CF64F-6B2D-478D-8130-89B425381A36@microsoft.com... > I'd like to find a style for xcel that has every other line a specific color > like the old greebar paper. I can't seem to find one...any ideas? Best to do the banding as Frank has pointe...

Font style change while writing email - from HTML to Plain text
Hi there, Occasionally when writing an email in Outlook 2003, I find that it just changes the email to plain text. Lets say for example I have half written the email, and I am looking through it to review it, before my eyes it just changes as if I had selected the plain text option from the Format menu. But I had not actually done this. Does anyone know why this could be happening? Very bizarre behaviour that would seem like a virus or something, but I'm all up to date in that aspect. Thanks in advance David. ...

Style problem
I am having extraordinary difficulty in setting a style that gives me the format that I want. Can someone give me step-by-step instructions in creating a style in 2007 that will do this: I. Begin typing A. Begin typing 1. Begin typing etc I would like the Roman numeral, cap letter, number - whatever I choose as my top level to be flush with the left hand margin. I want the numeral, etc. to be followed by a period and then a double space. Same for all the rest of the levels. Spacing will be single space -...

Comma Style Formatting from Format Toolbar
Hello all I am using Excel 97 SR-2. All of a sudden my Comma Style formatting button (from the formatting toolbar) is formatting differently to previous and is not want I want. My Control Panel settings for number and currency I have always set to display negatives in brackets and this is how the Comma Style button used to work. Now it formats negatives with a leading negative sign with the sign aligned to the extreme left of the cell with the numbers right aligned. Any adeas on how I get this formatting button to work correctly again??? Thanks Tony McGee ...

Copying Formatting Styles
I am using Word 2003. When I copy text from one document to another, the formating (including bullets, indentation, headers) do not get copied. I tried copying the formating styles of source document into the destination document by using Windows organize, but that did not help. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks. ...

How to draw a treeview style dotted lines
Hi, The default windows treeview draws the connecting lines using a 1 pixel dotted line. What penstyle is used to accomplish this? PS_DOT doesn't do it. Lisa Lisa Pearlson wrote: > Hi, > > The default windows treeview draws the connecting lines using a 1 pixel > dotted line. > What penstyle is used to accomplish this? PS_DOT doesn't do it. > > Lisa > > DrawFocusRect -- Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP] But I need to draw lines instead of rects.. does this mean I have to draw the rects with width=0? Seems a bit inefficient to use rects to draw lines. ...

CButton SetBitmap makes button lose xp style
Hello All, This is probably a really silly question, but I can't seem to find an 'easy' solution to this problem. I'm attempting to make bitmap buttons on the dialog, but these different dialog templates would be using the same class, and since i want to retain XP button style, i didn't want to use CBitmapButton with the owner-draw buttons. Using SetBitmap gets the bitmap shown on the button, but then the button goes back to classic Windows style, whereas other text buttons retain the XP look. Could someone please help? Thanks in advance, Isa "Isa" <...

How to change font style for highlighting using ITextDocument
Hello, Using the Rich Edit Control I am able to change the font style at will for text ranges but this causes the document to be flagged as modified which is not what I want, how can I modify the font but not effect the modified flat? Eli >Using the Rich Edit Control I am able to change the font style at will for >text ranges but this causes the document to be flagged as modified which is >not what I want, how can I modify the font but not effect the modified flat? Eli, Have you considered calling CRichEditCtrl::SetModify to clear the control's modified flag? Dave -- MVP VC...

Why don't modified styles stay the same after saving?
I have tried to modify a heading's style to be green, but when I save the document and then reopen it, the heading's style goes back to the original color before I modified it. Is this just a dumb glitch or has anyone else experience this problem? What version Publisher? Are you using a pre-designed color scheme or are you customizing one of your own? What specific design are you using so I can test this on my computer? I can use the Quick Publication Wizard without any problem. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft...

Extended Rich Edit Styles
Okay, I know for a fact that the rich edit control has a style that controls whether or not URLs appear as a link, probably an extended style. But I've spent a half hour looking for it and can't find it anywhere. A list of extended styles for the rich edit control would be ideal, but now I question whether or not such a list was ever put together. Thanks. Jonathan "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message news:OrWrj490IHA.5300@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Okay, I know for a fact that the rich edit control has a style that > controls whether...

Turnoff parantheses in APA citation
Work 07 puts parantheses around all APA-style citations even when they begin a sentence ("Tsui and O'Reilly (1989) conclude...") or are part of a list. Is there a way to change XSL to stop this? Patience is a virtue. You don't have to ask the same question 3 times, just wait till someone comes along who can answer it. <the following is copy/pasted from my original reply> There is no on/off switch for the brackets. Your choices are to either keep them, or remove them altogether. If you want to remove them for all instances, you will have to edit the st...