All office apps close without warning

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

Hello,

I just bought Office 2008 for Mac, and although I love this new version, every application (Word, Excel, etc) close on me (due to an unexpected error) constantly while I'm trying to use them. It results in a loss of data, and has become extremely frustrating for me, since I rely on these apps. I got the newest update to work (12.1.17), but it does NOT clear up the problem. I bought the student license for Office 2008 at my university bookstore, so it is a one-time installation (re-installation is not an option).

I'd really appreciate any advice!!!

Here's one of the first error messages I received:

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS
Date/Time: 2009-05-07 17:00:41 -0700
Application Name: Microsoft PowerPoint
Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Powerpoint
Application Signature: PPT3
Application Version: 12.1.7.090302
Crashed Module Name: Microsoft PowerPoint
Crashed Module Version: 12.1.7.090302
Crashed Module Offset: 0x005214fc
Blame Module Name: Microsoft PowerPoint
Blame Module Version: 12.1.7.090302
Blame Module Offset: 0x005214fc
Application LCID: 1033
Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409

Thread 0 crashed:

# 1 0x005224fc in __mh_execute_header + 0x005214FC (Microsoft PowerPoint + 0x005214fc)
# 2 0x005234d9 in __mh_execute_header + 0x005224D9 (Microsoft PowerPoint + 0x005224d9)
# 3 0x00178a7e in __mh_execute_header + 0x00177A7E (Microsoft PowerPoint + 0x00177a7e)
# 4 0x00178cf1 in __mh_execute_header + 0x00177CF1 (Microsoft PowerPoint + 0x00177cf1)
# 5 0x00023f01 in __mh_execute_header + 0x00022F01 (Microsoft PowerPoint + 0x00022f01)
# 6 0x0002417e in __mh_execute_header + 0x0002317E (Microsoft PowerPoint + 0x0002317e)
# 7 0x0001e604 in __mh_execute_header + 0x0001D604 (Microsoft PowerPoint + 0x0001d604)
# 8 0x012a1098 in MEventHandler::FRemoveHandler(unsigned long, unsigned long) + 0x000001DE (MicrosoftComponentPlugin + 0x0009c098)
# 9 0x92df14d7 in DispatchEventToHandlers(EventTargetRec*, OpaqueEventRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 0x00000445 (HIToolbox + 0x000084d7)
# 10 0x92df0b7c in SendEventToEventTargetInternal(OpaqueEventRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 0x00000130 (HIToolbox + 0x00007b7c)
# 11 0x92df0a41 in _SendEventToEventTargetWithOptions + 0x00000037 (HIToolbox + 0x00007a41)
# 12 0x92df80e3 in ToolboxEventDispatcherHandler(OpaqueEventHandlerCallRef*, OpaqueEventRef*, void*) + 0x00000165 (HIToolbox + 0x0000f0e3)
# 13 0x92df188e in DispatchEventToHandlers(EventTargetRec*, OpaqueEventRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 0x000007FC (HIToolbox + 0x0000888e)
# 14 0x92df0b7c in SendEventToEventTargetInternal(OpaqueEventRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*, HandlerCallRec*) + 0x00000130 (HIToolbox + 0x00007b7c)
# 15 0x92df7f7c in _SendEventToEventTarget + 0x00000038 (HIToolbox + 0x0000ef7c)
# 16 0x012f2a59 in _McpFDispatchEventRef + 0x00000073 (MicrosoftComponentPlugin + 0x000eda59)
# 17 0x012f2fe9 in _McpRunApplicationEventLoop + 0x0000051B (MicrosoftComponentPlugin + 0x000edfe9)
# 18 0x00024136 in __mh_execute_header + 0x00023136 (Microsoft PowerPoint + 0x00023136)
# 19 0x00003cbd in __mh_execute_header + 0x00002CBD (Microsoft PowerPoint + 0x00002cbd)
# 20 0x00002fe2 in __mh_execute_header + 0x00001FE2 (Microsoft PowerPoint + 0x00001fe2)
# 21 0x00002f09 in __mh_execute_header + 0x00001F09 (Microsoft PowerPoint + 0x00001f09)

X86 Thread State:
 eax: 0x00000000 ebx: 0xbffff12c ecx: 0x04b02ab0 edx:0x1e079028
 edi: 0xbffff12c esi: 0x213c0d88 ebp: 0xbffff0d8 esp:0xbffff0c0
  ss: 0x0000001f eip: 0x005224fc cs: 0x00000017 ds:0x0000001f
  es: 0x0000001f fs: 0x00000000 gs: 0x00000037 eflags:0x00010286

Thread 1:

# 1 0x9fe766a7 in _mach_wait_until + 0x00000007 (libSystem.B.dylib + 0x000376a7)
# 2 0x9fe76329 in _sleep + 0x00000079 (libSystem.B.dylib + 0x00037329)
# 3 0x010b7d7d in _MerpCreateSession + 0x00000B07 (merp + 0x00002d7d)
# 4 0x010b73e5 in _MerpCreateSe
0
bpost137 (1)

On 5/11/09 11:30 PM,  "bpost137@officeformac.com"
<bpost137@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I just bought Office 2008 for Mac, and although I love this new version, every
> application (Word, Excel, etc) close on me (due to an unexpected error)
> constantly while I'm trying to use them. It results in a loss of data, and has
> become extremely frustrating for me, since I rely on these apps. I got the
> newest update to work (12.1.17), but it does NOT clear up the problem. I
> bought the student license for Office 2008 at my university bookstore, so it
> is a one-time installation (re-installation is not an option).

Just to be clear. There is no activation for Office for Mac. If you have a
CD for Office you can remove Office and install again.

Testing in a new User will quickly tell you if the problem is system wide or
if it�s your User�s folder that contains the problem.

Go to System Preferences --> Create a New User in Accounts. Switch to the
New User by logging out/in or use Fast User Switching. Test Office there.

See these tips for Unexpected quits:

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/troubleshoot/crashes.html#crash30>

Another easy fix to try is to download the combo updater and run it. Doing
so overwrites potentially problem-causing files. Combo updaters will install
on the same version as they�re applying�no need to roll back or do a clean
install.

Tiger: Mac OS X 10.4.11 Combo Update (Intel)

<http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx10411updateintel.html>

--
Diane

Installing Office 2004 #2
I have read some of the messages regarding this, so I want to be sure of what I am doing before I install. The way I understand, Office 2004 test drive must be removed before the full Office 2004 in installed. Does this also include any previous version of Office? I have recently begun supporting Macs, and do not want to mess anything up on user machines. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. In article <1114608452.146343.139870@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "wgeorge" <wgeorge29@yahoo.com> wrote: > I have read some of the messages regarding this, so I want to b...

How to create dialog window without using the resource
Hi group How to create dialog window without using the resource ? -- Regards http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;155257 Dialog Templates in Memory ...

Without TO in the Microsoft Outlook 2003, No TO
I have a problem with Microsoft Outlook 2003 SP1, I will try to explain, during the last month when I send a mensangem no problem in sending, but, when I go to in the Sent Itens not appear the TO I open the messagem is without the TO, is very stranger. Sometimes when I insert an e-mail in the CC other person receives with as BCC Have you seem this problem? Do you know some solutions? Thanks, Eduardo Pereira Try posting in a group for your native language. Your post makes no sense in the US English Outlook group. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to k...

Not getting read-only warning
We have users that use the same spreadsheets that are in a shared folder on our network. The workbooks are NOT set as Shared Workbooks... Previously, if a user tried to open a spreadsheet that another user had open, they would receive a warning that they were about to open the file in Read-Only mode.... but now they are not getting a warning... therefore, two users may have the file open in read-write mode at the same time... and we don't want that. Does anyone know what has happened, and how we can correct it? "microsoft.private.mbspartner" <kwa@ceoteams.com> wr...

uninstall office
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel How do I uninstall office 2004? I am not able to find it on the disc. http://word.mvps.org/Mac/RemoveReinstall.html HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 7/27/09 1:12 PM, in article 59b7900b.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "DD22@officeformac.com" <DD22@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2004 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: Intel > > How do I uninstall office 2004? I am not able to find it on the disc. ...

office 2007 trial problems
I downloaded trial office 2007 student, and when I open it a few times it said their was a problem downloading and it wasn't complete, or something to that affect. How would I redownload it? Also in Vista msn mail when I click on spell check a window says I have not downloaded a dictionary in this language, and it doesn't correct any mistakes. What do I do? Also I'm new here; posting this it asks to select a discussion group. Looks like 1500 different ones and hard to go through them all, yet did not see anything concerning office 2007; what do I dio in this situation or othe...

can I forward mail without opening/viewing?
I know that sounds like a weird question, but my ISP invites users to forward spam to a special mailboxes in their never-ending (heh) effort to reduce the flow of the junk. With Outlook, I cannot figure out how to forward a message without its opening up for viewing. This is exactly what I don't want to do, because if it's html I really don't want to validate my email address. TIA Jason -- reverse my name in email address Jason, What you would have to do is create "rules" to do this, which you can set Outlook to if it receives a certain criteria, it can say FWD ...

Registering Office 2004 for Mac
Unable to complete registration due to invalid product ID. It seems the last 5 digits of the ID change with each installation. How do I obtain the correct one? Thanks. In article <1188084031.166432.48990@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, gordon.leggett@gmail.com wrote: > Unable to complete registration due to invalid product ID. It seems > the last 5 digits of the ID change with each installation. How do I > obtain the correct one? Thanks. All registration does is allow you to sign up for an email newsletter. Make sure you select the correct Upgrade/New Product button ...

New Update Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.3.4
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3254227027_2096185 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit Before you install this update, make sure that the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.3.3 Update is installed on your computer. Be sure to quit all Office applications and Notifications before installing. Quit any virus software also. Note: Entourage will still show 11.3.3 (061214) under About Entourage after the update. About Word shows as 11....

Installing MS Publisher from Office XP Professional
How can I install MS Publisher. I was told it comes with this suite but cannot seem to be able to find it anywhere on the setup CD. Thanks a lot in advance, Pete. StepNjump <StepNjump@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > How can I install MS Publisher. > I was told it comes with this suite but cannot seem to be able to > find it anywhere on the setup CD. Whoever told you that told you wrong. Only a very select few copies of Office XP Pro came with Publisher, and it probably wasn't yours. Office Professional 2003 *does *come with Publisher...

Changing the user password without the use of SA or DYNSA accounts
Is there any way to save a user password in GP v10 without the use of the SA or DYNSA login? I would like to grant security to one user to do this. Currently the save button is greyed out unless they log in as SA or DYNSA. Thank you You can do this by granting that user sysadmin rights in SQL management Studio. In SMS, expand the Security folder, then logins, then find that user, right click the user, go to properties, click server roles and check the box for sysadmin. "Junior De Alba" wrote: > Is there any way to save a user password in GP v10 without the use of the S...

"Message interface" problem with Office 2007
I cannot receive new nor delete existing emails. I get the message "The messaaging interface has returned an unknown error. Etc. Restarting Office is futile. I have run the scanpst.exe repair program (twice) and have tried to drag and drop files to an archive but no luck. After the first "repair" was run, the topmost "email" in my inbox suddenly read"Message Class: Message (1111 items, 744 unread) and messages I had long since deleted were again in my Inbox. I can send emails via Outlook but can only receive normal emails in Hotmail althought...

My Kyocera FS-C5020N does not feed from the MP Tray with Office 2.
Since I upgraded to Office 2007, multiple copies do not feed correctly from the MP Tray of my printer. That is the next step and a tech at Kyocera is looking for the right one. They have 16 drivers. "CyberTaz" wrote: > Have you checked the Kyocera site for a driver update? > > -- > Regards |:>) > Bob Jones > [MVP] Office:Mac > > "Millhill" <Millhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > news:78231984-AA48-490E-BF89-498C8259885A@microsoft.com... > > Since I upgraded to Office 2007, multiple copies do not feed correct...

Upgrading from Office 97 to Office XP
My company will be upgrading from Office 97 (WinNT) to Office XP (WinXP). As of right now they are telling us that training dollars just aren't in the budget. Meaning - well, handouts, web references, book... whatever the business units want to pay for. We have wide variety of users. Some do one or two things in Word or Excel, some power users... My feeling is that when we roll these people out they are going to be alarmed at the jump. Multi-facted clipboard, task pane, adaptive menus, smart-tags... these are the big ones off the top of my head that just "appear". Without...

Recent install of Office 07, Help window have a blue background
I just recently install office 7, and the help window are all blue background in colour. Its really hard to see the link as they are blue as well. I have tried changing the colour of the windows desktop background colour to white. I have tried to change the office 7 theme colour Have anyone encountered this problem? ...

close form without required field msg box
How can I close a form with required fields without the msg box popping up to enter required fields. I do not want the user to have to hit the escape button. I want the form to close without msgs. -- deb Deb How will Access "know" when it is OK to NOT require fields, or when it MUST require fields? Maybe you don't need required fields? Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "deb" <deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7B1C0EF3-7A2F-402E-AA5B-2FABB9EA73D9@microsoft.com... > > How can I close a form with required fields wit...

journaling office apps problem in Outlook 2003
I run outlook 2003 with office 97 applications. I have configured outlook to journal office applications; however, it doesnt appear to be workiing. The journaling of tasts for select contacts etc works fine. Any help would be apprecited. Outlook and Office versions must match for a number of automation functions, including Journal. Mail Merge and Send To from Office programs also do not work. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be del...

Microsoft Office #4
Re Office 2004 fpr Mac, Version 11.0 (040408) Whenever I open Word or Excel document I get the error message "An unexpected error occurred while trying to load the Microsoft Framework library". I suspect that this nhas something to do with the inordinate time it takes for the program to auto-save, sometimes of the order of 20-30 minutes. When this happened recently I tried to Force Quit Word where the screen showed that Word was "not responding". To say that I am disappointed with the product is an understatement, but perhaps there is a very simple explanation. Can any...

Icons for office 2007
Hi everybody, Besides Office 2007 builtin icons , does anyone knows a good source of nice icons (Preferably free)for office 2007 that I can use in my XML code for customizing the Ribbon? -- Best regards, Edward Hi, Here is a couple of sites that I use for icon's in general, but they have large amounts avilable :- www.deviantart.com www.wincustomize.com Just use the search boxes to help narrow the criteria... -- Cheers... "Edward" wrote: > Hi everybody, > Besides Office 2007 builtin icons , does anyone knows a good source of nice > i...

Outlook 2003: microsoft office outlook 2003 does not recognize fax numbers
We are using an Access Project to bulk email\fax clients - using the SendObject function. This worked fine on a windows xp machine using Outlook 2000, but, after an office move, I've had to recreate the system on another windows xp machine. We initially tried Outlook 2003, but had issues with the security prompts (saying another user trying to send email etc). However, once these security message boxes had been clicked "yes", the emails and faxes were sent ok. Due to the bulk nature of the emails\faxes we decided to use Outlook 2000 (pre-security fix) - this allowed us to send...

Eliminate macro warning pop-up
I am trying to eliminate a macro warning pop up from a workbook. I have deleted all the macros and removed all the modules in the VBA editor. This file is used on Excel 97 and 2000. I still get the pop up warning message everytime the file is opened. Can this be eliminated? Thank You Hi Are there any sheet or workbook macros as distinct from module based macros? Go to the VBE and click on the sheets (and thisworkbook). Check both the general and workbook areas. Tony >-----Original Message----- >I am trying to eliminate a macro warning pop up from a workbook. I have >delete...

Automatic Save & Close after 30 min of inactivity
Is this easy to setup? I see options for backup save....but I need the open file to save and close if inactive for 30 minutes. Thanks! dickharlo, Check this attachment from the ozgrid forums. This one is set to 10 minutes. You can change it in the Workbook_Open function at the top. Note: you will have to copy the VBA script from the Module2 and ThisWorkbook module into your book. http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10100&d=1132326905 -- --Thomas [PBD] Working hard to make working easy. Answered your question? Click ''Yes'' below. "dic...

office X will not start
Hello all bright Mac OSX Users: I have a major problem starting any programs on my Ibook. It began with multiple documents open and I hadn't restarted my computer in many weeks, just using the sleep mode. When I restarted, I was unable to start any Office X applications or Explorer. The icons would just bounce in the dock. I have researched and fiddled with it for a week or so, now when I start the computer there are no icons on the desktop and using the dock no programs will start. From my reading I sense the problem has to do with corrupted user files. I tried to fix the permission...

office 97 professional eligible to upgrade t 2007 Office Professio
Hi I copied the following list from another discussion. Is this list still accurate for Office Professional 2007 Upgrade? "The qualifying older versions that allow you to use an upgrade Office 2003 package are any of the following. The qualifying product can be a retail or OEM edition. Office XP Developer, Office XP Professional with FrontPage®, Office XP Professional Special Edition, Office XP Professional with Publisher, Office XP Professional, Office XP Small Business Edition, Office XP Standard, Office 2000 Developer, Office 2000 Premium, ...

Office XP Pro (2002)
Running Office XP Professional - Installed SP3 Two machines updated - OS's Win XP and Win 2000 - both have same problem. Tested when installing on second machine file was readable via attachment prior to SP3. Could be Outlook or Word. E-mailed word attachment. Users using older version of Outlook/Word or Outlook/Word XP SP2 can open file. User using Outlook/Word XP SP3 receive the following error message... Microsoft Word The document name or path is not valid. Try one of the following: *Check the path to make sure it was typed correctly. *On the File menu, click Open, Search for ...