ACCESS on a new iBook?

Hi,

Has anyone any experience on running Access under Virtual PC or similar? I
have a new model iBook 1.42 Ghz, 512MB RAM (soon to be upped to 1 GB) and
10.4.6.

I'm wanting it to brush up my knowledge for use at work so won't be using
huge data sets, just playing with new builds & small amounts of test data.

I don't really want to buy an old PC just for this so just wanted to check
it wouldn't be unusably slow under virtualisation software.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jason
____

0
zeugma (59)

Hi Jason,

Microsoft Access works fine in Virtual PC.  Yes, it's slightly sluggish,
but quite usable.

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

Jason O wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone any experience on running Access under Virtual PC or similar? I
> have a new model iBook 1.42 Ghz, 512MB RAM (soon to be upped to 1 GB) and
> 10.4.6.
>
> I'm wanting it to brush up my knowledge for use at work so won't be using
> huge data sets, just playing with new builds & small amounts of test data.
>
> I don't really want to buy an old PC just for this so just wanted to check
> it wouldn't be unusably slow under virtualisation software.
>
> Any advice greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers
>
> Jason
> ____

0
goldkey74 (611)
4/6/2006 11:03:21 PM
Hi Jason -

Just to reaffirm Jim's reply, I run Access 2000 in WinXP through VPC 7
without any problems at all. My system is a dual 2GHz G5, 1.5 GB RAM & speed
is not a significant issue, but is noticeably slower than a P4 PC. The move
to 1 GB is a step in the right direction & disk space may also be an issue.
--
Regards |:>)
Bob Jones

"Jason O" <zeugma@toucanspam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone any experience on running Access under Virtual PC or similar? I
> have a new model iBook 1.42 Ghz, 512MB RAM (soon to be upped to 1 GB) and
> 10.4.6.
>
> I'm wanting it to brush up my knowledge for use at work so won't be using
> huge data sets, just playing with new builds & small amounts of test data.
>
> I don't really want to buy an old PC just for this so just wanted to check
> it wouldn't be unusably slow under virtualisation software.
>
> Any advice greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers
>
> Jason
> ____

0
CyberTaz
4/7/2006 4:48:37 PM
On 7/4/06 17:48, in article OLPgeMmWGHA.324@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl, "CyberTaz"
<typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet> wrote:

> Hi Jason -
>
> Just to reaffirm Jim's reply, I run Access 2000 in WinXP through VPC 7
> without any problems at all. My system is a dual 2GHz G5, 1.5 GB RAM & speed
> is not a significant issue, but is noticeably slower than a P4 PC. The move
> to 1 GB is a step in the right direction & disk space may also be an issue.

Thanks both for the advice. Just what I was after  - some balanced advice
from people who had actually used it. So looks like I'll up the RAM and see
how it goes.

Would Virtual PC allow me to link to or import data from my mac version of
excel?

Thanks again

Jason
____

0
zeugma (59)
4/7/2006 10:09:28 PM
With VPC you can access your Mac volumes directly and edit the *same* files
using PC XL as well as Mac XL.

Good Luck |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 4/7/06 6:09 PM, in article C05CA1A8.5CD3%zeugma@toucanspam.com, "Jason O"

Jason O wrote:

> Would Virtual PC allow me to link to or import data from my mac version of
> excel?

If you want to connect to an MS Access database from the Mac version of
Excel, you can use the ODBC Driver for Access from Actual Technologies:

http://www.actualtechnologies.com/product_access.php

It will let you import data from an MDB file into a spreadsheet without
using Virtual PC or a Windows box.

Jonathan Monroe
Actual Technologies - ODBC for Mac OS X
monroej@actualtechnologies.com

.... and now you can install Windows and Microsoft Access on the Intel
Macs.  You have to choose which OS to boot to, but you can save to a
common file location.

-Jim

--

Jason O wrote:
> On 7/4/06 17:48, in article OLPgeMmWGHA.324@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl, "CyberTaz"
> <typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet> wrote:
>

>>Hi Jason -
>>
>>Just to reaffirm Jim's reply, I run Access 2000 in WinXP through VPC 7
>>without any problems at all. My system is a dual 2GHz G5, 1.5 GB RAM & speed
>>is not a significant issue, but is noticeably slower than a P4 PC. The move
>>to 1 GB is a step in the right direction & disk space may also be an issue.
>

> Thanks both for the advice. Just what I was after  - some balanced advice
> from people who had actually used it. So looks like I'll up the RAM and see
> how it goes.
>
> Would Virtual PC allow me to link to or import data from my mac version of
> excel?
>
> Thanks again
>
> Jason
> ____

0
goldkey74 (611)

new emails not indicated in subfolders
Greetings Using Outlook 2010, when mail arrives in the Inbox, a number appears next to "Inbox" to tell me how many unread mails are there - great! I have set up a number of subfolders underneath my Inbox, and have set up rules to divert emails from particular people into their own folder. It all works fine, except that when a mail arrives in one of those subfolders, no numbers appear to let me know there is unread mail. Is there a setting somewhere that will let me have this facility? Many thanks JP __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signat...

sound for new mail is default computer ding
I have lost my ability to change the sound that is played when outlook receives email. It might be throught windows, because I no longer get the music for beginning Windows or shutting down. I can choose different .wav files and even preview them without any problem, but then when in email, it just plays the really old computer system beep. ...

5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Access denied
I'm having the following email issue with one of my clients, they are getting. The following recipient(s) could not be reached: xxxxxxx@netonecom.net on 12/29/2003 11:58 AM You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <clarkserv01.ClarkNational.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Access denied> The wierd thing is that I am not getting a Application event log event I.D. for this on our server??? Could the problem be on the netonecom.net server?????? Hi Jeff, The problem could possibly be caused by t...

Create Groupwise Reminder for Access
Is there a way to create a groupwise reminder note in an Access database? Kind of like a tickler. The note would be sent to certain people, which may not be the same people each time, when an assignment's due date is approaching. The note would continue to be sent each day until the assignment is 'closed' in the database. I know this may be wishful thinking, but I'm trying to figure out a way to do this in Access instead of just having the user create their own notes in Groupwise. Thanks for your help. I don't know this Groupwise however I have a s...

Web Access #5
How can I get Outlook 2002 to get mail out of my Outlook Web Access account? (my department is not using a Exchange Server) IF you don't have Exchange server, you don't have Outlook Web Access....Outlook is a mail client, not a server. What kind of mail account do you use? Perhaps your ISP has a webmail feature you can use to check new mail, or you can use www.mail2web.com Steve wrote: > How can I get Outlook 2002 to get mail out of my Outlook > Web Access account? (my department is not using a > Exchange Server) ...

Ability to enter new hire within Business Portal
The Honey Baked Ham Company would like the abililty to enter new hires within Business Portal and have it update the Great Plains Backend. This would allow them not to have Great Plains access to all the store managers and help keep the system secure. Another nice benefit of this is user that don't have access to Great Plains in remote locations don't have to fax a hire sheet in to activate an employee. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agr...

A new one on me.
I drive the Windows XP Home Edition SP 3 Until today it has performed the way it was designed. Three times today I worked with it as usual when about 30 to 45 minutes after booting up, the operating system stopped funtioning. The arrow disappeard, Control, Alt, Delete, did not wake up the Task Manager, turning a printer on or of brought no reaction from the PC, did not activate the red light . Re-booting worked normally. Then it occurred again. Any ideas? Nurmi Overheating? Cleaning the Interior of your PC: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutoria...

Money 2004/05
I have recently purchased a new computer and installed Money onto the new computer (Money version says Copyright 2004, but I think it is 2005 version). I have then simply copied across the data files My Money Backup (Microsoft Money backup File) and my money backup2 (Microsoft Money file) to the new computer...For some reason I just cannot get Money to open the data files on the new computer. When I try to open the Money file, I receive the following message; "Money will convert your file so that you can work with it in Money. First, Money will make a copy of your original file, ...

How to move Exchange server 2000 to a new Exchange 2003 server
I have a exchange 2000 server. I want to move it from this server to the other server that run Exchange 2003 server. Please tell me how to do it. Thanks. Hi Andy, Install the Exchange 2003 server into the same org and administrative group as the 2000 server and using ADU&C move the mailboxes from the 2000 server to the 2003 server. Add replicas of all the public and system folders to the 2003 server. After allowing sufficient time for replication, remove the replicas from the 2000 server and then remove the server from the org. You might want to just stop the services on the 2000 se...

hot to access deleted information in excel sheets
Hi everyone, a friend of mine did something stupid ;) she deleted some data in an excel worksheet, saved the file and quit the program. Now she discovered she actually still needs that data. No backup though. As far as I know, some information about former states of an document is saved by Excel even if versioning (or whatever it is called) is not enabled. Is it possible to retrieve these and if how? thanks and regards, Goeran No way that I know of other than maybe the power of prayer ... but I wouldn't hold your breath. IMHO it's gone. It is called a "learning experie...

new hardware
I just installed a new hard drive. The old hard drive remains in the computer (as a slave drive). The old hard drive data was copied bit by bit on to the new hard drive. Every program functions properly on the new (master) drive except for every one of the Microsoft Office XP programs. I cannot remove Office XP via Control Panel and I cannot repair the the programs from the CD. When I go to uninstall I get 'This patch package could not be opened'. Any ideas for a repair? ...

Can't access email on both computers
If I open mail on my desktop in Outlook 2003 --- and then go upstairs and look at Outlook 2003 on my laptop --- the same mail isn't there. Seems that only the mail that I open on that computer is accessible. Is there anything I can do to make both computers have the same mail? go to tools accounts then view or change accounts from there go to the advanced tab and check leave a message on the server. Its like real life if you goto the post office and get the mail from the box when your other half goes theres nothing to be had "Robin" <rlogue00@comcast.net> wrote in...

No new email alerts
When I log on line I get an email alert telling me how many emails I have, after that when someone sends me something and I am still on line I do not get an alert telling me I have a new email. I keep my computer updated, I have uninstalled and reinstalled, the box is checked for alerts, I have rebooted, and nothing is working. Can someone help me PLEASE! Thank you Pat ...

access 2007 compact creates new database
I am using following code to compact my database. this worked ok in Access 2000 but in 2007 after compacting I find a new (compacted) database; the original database did not change. I want my original database to compact and I do not need a new one. How can I fix this? Declare Function TSB_API_GetExitCodeProcess Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetExitCodeProcess" (ByVal hProcess As Long, lpExitCode As Long) As Long Declare Function TSB_API_OpenProcess Lib "kernel32" Alias "OpenProcess" (ByVal dwDesiredAccess As Long, ByVal bInheritHandle As Long, ByVal dwPro...

query does not work in Access 2003
I have a query that uses the "left", "mid", & "right" functions to format a time field. This query works with all versions of access until 2003 & newer. The error message is "left is not a valid function" or something like that. What is the syntax for doing this in 2003 or newer? Sounds like a missing reference, but I am not sure which library these functions are in. -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "Gary" wrote: > I have a query that uses the "left", "mid", & "right" functions to fo...

document modification and accessing earlier versions
I spent 3 hours working on a document. Saved it under one name. Then erased the information and began working on another assignment in the same document. Then instead of clicking "save as" I only clicked save and lost the entire previous document. Is there any way I can get to the version of the document before the modification? If you have the automatically create backups option set and you have only saved once, the backup will be the previously saved version, otherwise it is gone. This type of use frequently results in such data losses and should be avoided. In...

DoModal throws an access violation only for one language
Hi, I've posted the first part of my issue here and it got resolved. The second part is what I am still struggling with. It consists of 2 issues. Perhaps someone would be able to help. Please excuse the repeated post. I have a few dialogs, icons, bitmaps, strings that I've localized in the following way: I've created a separate resource only dll which has a separate RC file for each language. This project also has a different build configuration for each language. So that in that configuration only that dll will build and the resources pane in the project properties will be se...

Import Access data into Excel Spreadsheet
Is there a way to do this without having to write VB code? I have an Access table which has fields such as Product_ID, Product_Description, Product_Image etc. To generate a quotation for a customer in Excel, I would like to create a worksheet where the user would enter the Product_ID in one cell so that the Product_Description, Product_Price etc. loads automatically into adjacent cells on the same row of the Excel worksheet. In other words, the values for the remaining cells in the row woudl be automatically looked up from the Access table. It is necessary to use Excel because only one user...

Task Hierarchy Messed up after creating new Task
Hi, We use Project Server 2007 (with SP1 and Infrastructure Update). Recently 2 PMs have complained that their Task Hierarchy was messed up after making relatively minor modifications to their projects like adding a task, saving and reopening. The symptom is that leaf tasks have been re-parented to other parent tasks + empty rows showed up. Has anyone seen this problem? Is there a way to solve this? ashwin ...

readonly comboBox, Access 2002
Hi, How do I make a comboBox read only so that the user can only select from the list and not enter any data? I'm working with Access 2002, Also, is it possible to have a form where new rows can't be added? Thanks for your help, Barry. On 29 Maj, 09:06, b...@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi, > > How do I make a comboBox read only so that the user can only select > from the list and not enter any data? > > I'm working with Access 2002, > > Also, is it possible to have a form where new rows can't be added? > > Thanks for your help, > > Barry. Mayb...

Controlled Mailbox access via EXchange server
Quick one here, apart from using the Outlook client method, is it possible on EXCHANGE SERVER 2003 to give users (not domain/ exchange administrators) read, edit & write permissions to, for example someone's else's calender without giving the usual full mailbox access rights? Abiola Sonubi wrote: > Quick one here, apart from using the Outlook client method, is it > possible on EXCHANGE SERVER 2003 to give users (not domain/ exchange > administrators) read, edit & write permissions to, for example > someone's else's calender without giving the usual full ...

Subreport starts on a new page
Hello I have a report/subreport object where the subreport starts on a new page although there is room on the last page of the report ( report prints 3 pages and page 2 is approximately 3/4 empty). The report has a grouping option - if I place the subreport in the group footer it prints at the end of each group - not the desired location as I need it to print at the end of the entire group. I have placed the subreport in the report footer and even created a different group, not really utilizing it as a group but making it the primary group element and placing the subreport in the footer of t...

New Fonts Appeared
In my fonts dropdown list some unexpected font selections were added (ie: Z@R7E19.temp) Anybody know where these came from or what they are? -- Confused again -- Confusious I would scan the system for viruses and malware. steve "Confusious" <Confusious@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:61FD2149-6278-4AF0-A722-8B3F27EE81AB@microsoft.com... > In my fonts dropdown list some unexpected font selections were > added (ie: Z@R7E19.temp) > Anybody know where these came from or what they are? > -- Confused again -- > Confusious ...

New user mail account doesn't appear in the global address list
I recently added a new user account to our domain. His windows account works fine, logs onto outlook fine and can send/receive mail. His account was created from the same template I use to create all of the accounts for employees in that department, so permissions/groups should all be identical. The issue is that he does not appear in the global address list. Any ideas how to get him there? Make sure you are not logged in Outlook Cached mode, try to do a lookup using OWA and see if you can find the new user. Ali "CervalisAdmin" wrote: > I recently added a new user a...

Making a new paragraph
when i start a new document i will write a paragraph then when i push enter it goes to the bottom of the page. i dont know how to fix this. i cant get the huge spaces between my paragraphs to become smaller. is there a way to fix this? please help! Go to the Layout tab of the Page Setup dialog and change the Page Vertical alignment from Justified to Top. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "lonelygirl" ...