"Correct Version" error b.s.

I have the Teacher and Student version of 2004. When I install, the
Microsoft Component Plugin info shows V11.2.2 (the applications all
show 11.2.0--see end of msg).  Autoupdating downloads the update 11.2.5
and I get the "can't find correct version..." you all know the bull.
This is incredibly frustrating that security on so vulnerable a product
is so impossible to achieve!

I've followed the instructions on the mvp site as advised for removing
and cleaning prior to a clean reinstall, and didn't make one iota of
difference.  I followed each step religiously, emptying the trash
between steps 4 & 5.

When I installed Office 2004 T&S on my PowerMac G4, the first reinstall
fixed the problem.  I've spent hours now working on my PowerBook G4 and
made ZERO progress.

If you want details, lots of them can be found below.

I switched from Windoze to Mac because of Microsoft. Everytime I
upgrade a Microsoft program for the Mac I'm forced to relive the
torture that drove me to Mactopia!  ;-)   Help!

Thanks,
Paul

 Machine Name:	PowerBook G4 15"
  Machine Model:	PowerBook5,4
  CPU Type:	PowerPC G4  (1.1)
  Number Of CPUs:	1
  CPU Speed:	1.5 GHz
  L2 Cache (per CPU):	512 KB
  Memory:	1 GB
  Bus Speed:	167 MHz
  Boot ROM Version:	4.8.6f0

TOSHIBA MK8026GAX:

  Capacity:	74.53 GB
  Model:	TOSHIBA MK8026GAX
  Revision:	PA002B
  Removable Media:	No
  Detachable Drive:	No
  BSD Name:	disk0
  Protocol:	ATA
  Unit Number:	0
  Socket Type:	Internal
  OS9 Drivers:	No
  S.M.A.R.T. status:	Verified
  Volumes:
Macintosh HD:
  Capacity:	74.41 GB
  Available:	51.83 GB
  Writable:	Yes
  File System:	Journaled HFS+
  BSD Name:	disk0s3
  Mount Point:	/

Microsoft Word:

  Version:	11.2.0
  Last Modified:	1/26/06 6:00 PM
  Kind:	PowerPC
  Get Info String:	11.2.0 (050714), =A9 2004 Microsoft Corporation.  All
rights reserved.
  Location:	/Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Microsoft Word

0
9/29/2006 12:05:14 AM
mac.office 7017 articles. 0 followers. Follow

5 Replies
447 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 15

On 9/28/06 5:05 PM, in article
1159488314.933332.257140@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com, "Paul Boyer"
<paul.david.boyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the Teacher and Student version of 2004. When I install, the
> Microsoft Component Plugin info shows V11.2.2 (the applications all
> show 11.2.0--see end of msg).  Autoupdating downloads the update 11.2.5
> and I get the "can't find correct version..." you all know the bull.
> This is incredibly frustrating that security on so vulnerable a product
> is so impossible to achieve!

I'm not quite sure what the exact problem is you are having, but wanted to
be sure you understand that an update does not necessarily update all of the
applications in the Office suite. After an update, the different Office
applications can have different version/build numbers.

You can make sure that the latest update has been applied by checking the
version number using File> Get Info of the following file:

Macintosh HD/Applications/Microsoft Office/Office/Microsoft ComponentPlugin

-- 
Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP
Entourage Help Page
<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>
The  Entourage Blog lists the EHP as one of the top five Microsoft Entourage
resources. 
<http://blogs.msdn.com/entourage/>


0
dross1571 (196)
9/29/2006 1:07:40 AM
On 29/9/06 01:05, in article
1159488314.933332.257140@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com, "Paul Boyer"
<paul.david.boyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the Teacher and Student version of 2004. When I install, the
> Microsoft Component Plugin info shows V11.2.2 (the applications all
> show 11.2.0--see end of msg).  Autoupdating downloads the update 11.2.5
> and I get the "can't find correct version..." you all know the bull.
> This is incredibly frustrating that security on so vulnerable a product
> is so impossible to achieve!

Have you moved Office from its default location of the Applications folder?
Or have you deleted any components from the folder?

It may be worth running the 'repair permissions' command in Disk Utility.

-- 
Barry Wainwright
Microsoft MVP (see http://mvp.support.microsoft.com for details)
Check out the Entourage User's WebLog for hints, tips and troubleshooting
<http://homepage.mac.com/barryw/weblog/weblog.html>


0
barry5268 (197)
9/29/2006 7:54:06 AM
The exact problem I'm having is that after installing Office 2004 from
the CD, the "Auto"updater says I need 11.2.5 and the update won't run.
I installed Office 2004 using installer on the CD, and I haven't moved
_anything_ from where that application installs Office 2004.  I _have_
run the repair permissions. I followed all the instructions on the
Sorry if that wasn't clear before--I have a way of making assumptions
about what people know!

As I said originally, after the installation, Diane, Microsoft
Microsoft ComponentPlugin says V11.2.2.  I can't look at that after
applying the latest update, because NO update will run (I _always_ get
the error about can't find the correct version of the software to
update).  The big deal is that one of my applications requires V11.2.6
of Office 2004, and I can't possibly get that if I can't update
_anything_ beyond what came on the installation CDs.

This very issue is currently being discussed here in the "Office upate
(11.2.5) downloaded but is not installed" thread. It's been suggested
that if the update isn't finding the correct version of the files to
update, maybe they're already updated.  Well, mine have never been
updated--as sounds true for mrm...@gmail.com--and the "auto"updater
always goes for 11.2.5 updater to download. Doesn't this make sense if
the current Microsoft Components Plugin is V11.2.2?

This is _not_ an isolated issue!

Let's try it again...please?


Barry Wainwright [MVP] wrote:
> On 29/9/06 01:05, in article
> 1159488314.933332.257140@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com, "Paul Boyer"
> <paul.david.boyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have the Teacher and Student version of 2004. When I install, the
> > Microsoft Component Plugin info shows V11.2.2 (the applications all
> > show 11.2.0--see end of msg).  Autoupdating downloads the update 11.2.5
> > and I get the "can't find correct version..." you all know the bull.
> > This is incredibly frustrating that security on so vulnerable a product
> > is so impossible to achieve!
>
> Have you moved Office from its default location of the Applications folder?
> Or have you deleted any components from the folder?
>
> It may be worth running the 'repair permissions' command in Disk Utility.
>
> --
> Barry Wainwright
> Microsoft MVP (see http://mvp.support.microsoft.com for details)
> Check out the Entourage User's WebLog for hints, tips and troubleshooting
> <http://homepage.mac.com/barryw/weblog/weblog.html>

0
9/29/2006 5:18:01 PM
The exact problem I'm having is that after installing Office 2004 from
the CD, the "Auto"updater says I need 11.2.5 and the update won't run.
I installed Office 2004 using installer on the CD, and I haven't moved
_anything_ from where that application installs Office 2004.  I _have_
run the repair permissions. I followed all the instructions on the page
linked to here for reinstalling after cleaning if you dumped the Office
2004 folder in the trash instead of removing it.  Sorry if that wasn't
clear before--I have a way of making assumptions about what people
know!

As I said originally, after the installation, Diane, Microsoft
Microsoft ComponentPlugin says V11.2.2.  I can't look at that after
applying the latest update, because NO update will run (I _always_ get
the error about can't find the correct version of the software to
update).  The big deal is that one of my applications requires V11.2.6
of Office 2004, and I can't possibly get that if I can't update
_anything_ beyond what came on the installation CDs.

This very issue is currently being discussed here in the "Office upate
(11.2.5) downloaded but is not installed" thread. It's been suggested
that if the update isn't finding the correct version of the files to
update, maybe they're already updated.  Well, mine have never been
updated--as sounds true for mrm...@gmail.com--and the "auto"updater
always goes for 11.2.5 updater to download. Doesn't this make sense if
the current Microsoft Components Plugin is V11.2.2?

This is _not_ an isolated issue!

Let's try it again...please?


Barry Wainwright [MVP] wrote:
> On 29/9/06 01:05, in article
> 1159488314.933332.257140@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com, "Paul Boyer"
> <paul.david.boyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have the Teacher and Student version of 2004. When I install, the
> > Microsoft Component Plugin info shows V11.2.2 (the applications all
> > show 11.2.0--see end of msg).  Autoupdating downloads the update 11.2.5
> > and I get the "can't find correct version..." you all know the bull.
> > This is incredibly frustrating that security on so vulnerable a product
> > is so impossible to achieve!
>
> Have you moved Office from its default location of the Applications folder?
> Or have you deleted any components from the folder?
>
> It may be worth running the 'repair permissions' command in Disk Utility.
>
> --
> Barry Wainwright
> Microsoft MVP (see http://mvp.support.microsoft.com for details)
> Check out the Entourage User's WebLog for hints, tips and troubleshooting
> <http://homepage.mac.com/barryw/weblog/weblog.html>

0
9/29/2006 5:20:40 PM
I can imagine your frustration. MVPs and others on the list do not always
have specific answers but we do our best to try to find solutions so bear
with us as we suggest options to try.

Some thoughts on the problem...

Do you have more than one copy of Office installed? Perhaps the installer
needs to be pointed to the correct copy.

Did you try drag and drop to install rather than use the installer?

Try eliminating problems in your user by creating a new User in System
Preferences and installing Office there to update.

Check folders permissions to be sure they are not locked.

Did you use "Remove Office" before installing?  "Remove Office" will remove
invisible files that are missed when you just drag an application to the
trash. <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/glossary/remove_office.html>

If this is a combination of an OS plus MS problem, it is more difficult to
track down. Testing on a clean environment will help eliminate this problem.
If you can install on a fresh User then you could use Archive and Install to
clear up your current User.

Let us know what you find. Try to give as many details as possible.

-- 
Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP
Entourage Help Page
<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>
The  Entourage Blog lists the EHP as one of the top five Microsoft Entourage
resources. 
<http://blogs.msdn.com/entourage/>


> From: "paul.david.boyer@gmail.com" <paul.david.boyer@gmail.com>
> Organization: http://groups.google.com
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.mac.office
> Date: 29 Sep 2006 10:20:40 -0700
> Subject: Re: "Correct Version" error b.s.
> 
> The exact problem I'm having is that after installing Office 2004 from
> the CD, the "Auto"updater says I need 11.2.5 and the update won't run.
> I installed Office 2004 using installer on the CD, and I haven't moved
> _anything_ from where that application installs Office 2004.  I _have_
> run the repair permissions. I followed all the instructions on the page
> linked to here for reinstalling after cleaning if you dumped the Office
> 2004 folder in the trash instead of removing it.  Sorry if that wasn't
> clear before--I have a way of making assumptions about what people
> know!
> 
> As I said originally, after the installation, Diane, Microsoft
> Microsoft ComponentPlugin says V11.2.2.  I can't look at that after
> applying the latest update, because NO update will run (I _always_ get
> the error about can't find the correct version of the software to
> update).  The big deal is that one of my applications requires V11.2.6
> of Office 2004, and I can't possibly get that if I can't update
> _anything_ beyond what came on the installation CDs.
> 
> This very issue is currently being discussed here in the "Office upate
> (11.2.5) downloaded but is not installed" thread. It's been suggested
> that if the update isn't finding the correct version of the files to
> update, maybe they're already updated.  Well, mine have never been
> updated--as sounds true for mrm...@gmail.com--and the "auto"updater
> always goes for 11.2.5 updater to download. Doesn't this make sense if
> the current Microsoft Components Plugin is V11.2.2?
> 
> This is _not_ an isolated issue!
> 
> Let's try it again...please?
> 
> 
> Barry Wainwright [MVP] wrote:
>> On 29/9/06 01:05, in article
>> 1159488314.933332.257140@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com, "Paul Boyer"
>> <paul.david.boyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 
>>> I have the Teacher and Student version of 2004. When I install, the
>>> Microsoft Component Plugin info shows V11.2.2 (the applications all
>>> show 11.2.0--see end of msg).  Autoupdating downloads the update 11.2.5
>>> and I get the "can't find correct version..." you all know the bull.
>>> This is incredibly frustrating that security on so vulnerable a product
>>> is so impossible to achieve!
>> 
>> Have you moved Office from its default location of the Applications folder?
>> Or have you deleted any components from the folder?
>> 
>> It may be worth running the 'repair permissions' command in Disk Utility.
>> 
>> --
>> Barry Wainwright
>> Microsoft MVP (see http://mvp.support.microsoft.com for details)
>> Check out the Entourage User's WebLog for hints, tips and troubleshooting
>> <http://homepage.mac.com/barryw/weblog/weblog.html>
> 

0
dross1571 (196)
9/29/2006 9:51:15 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

11.3.0 Update
I try to install the Office 11.3.0 update and get a message saying: "The installer cannot locate the correct version of the software required to instal this update". I am running Mac OSX 10.4.8, and all other Office updates have istalled without any dramas. Have run Repair Disk Permissions. Any hints? domvilla@bigpond.net.au wrote: > I try to install the Office 11.3.0 update and get a message saying: > "The installer cannot locate the correct version of the software > required to instal this update". I am running Mac OSX 10.4.8, and all > other Office upd...

Forcing a document to open in the correct version
I have both excel 2003 and excell 2007 installed on my Vista machine. I do most of my work in 2007 (and it was installed first) I have some work I have done in 2003 that does not work properly in 2007 (Excel froms and moving data back and forth from Access to Excel) Is there any way I can force these files to always open in 2003 with out making 2003 my default Excel? I know I can open the 2003 application first then drag my file into it but thats a pain. I want to double cliclk on my file and have it open in the correct version. Is there a way? Any help here will be appreciated. Thanks ...

Open correct version of Excel in Word
I have Word 2003, Excel 2003 and as of today Excel 2007. In a Word macro, I am using: Set myExcel = GetObject(, "Excel.application") and if that errors because Excel isn't open, an error handler with: Set myExcel = CreateObject("Excel.application") Now when I run my Word macro even if I have Excel 2003 open, the GetObject does not find that Excel is open and will go to the CreateObject and create an instance of Excel using Excel 2007. Is there a way to force it to open the spreadsheet in Excel 2003? GrannyM wrote: > I have Word 2003, Excel 2003 ...

Incorrect Version starts when I double-click document
Is there any way to stop Office 2004 from starting when I doubleclick a document when using OS 9? There are some programs that I need to use while booted in OS 9 (not classic) and this is becoming a problem when I need to open Office documents as well. Thanks for any advice you can give me. On 11/5/04 9:35 AM, in article e66928c.0411050935.4a8e0a8f@posting.google.com, "Janet Moe" <moexx012@umn.edu> wrote: > Is there any way to stop Office 2004 from starting when I doubleclick > a document when using OS 9? There are some programs that I need to > use while booted i...

"Correct Version" error b.s.
I have the Teacher and Student version of 2004. When I install, the Microsoft Component Plugin info shows V11.2.2 (the applications all show 11.2.0--see end of msg). Autoupdating downloads the update 11.2.5 and I get the "can't find correct version..." you all know the bull. This is incredibly frustrating that security on so vulnerable a product is so impossible to achieve! I've followed the instructions on the mvp site as advised for removing and cleaning prior to a clean reinstall, and didn't make one iota of difference. I followed each step religiously, emptying the...

Incorrect version in Money Backup File
i am using Money 2001. i have backup my money file and format my computer. after i reinstall back the Money 2001, and i try to restor the backup file, at the final stage, that is 1 error message prompt 'Incorrect Version of Money file', any idea ??? Before i format my pc, i am using WinXP Home edition, i have upgrade my OS to winXP Pro, is that cause the error ?? Please help !!!! See the following article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304254&Product=mny Is that the error you are getting? "Peter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft...

Newbie Help! Please (correct version)
Hi I have a spreadsheet which has a record of places in which certain occurences have taken place looking somthing like this... �-----A-----�-----B-----�-----C-----�-----D----- Place 1 data data data Place 2 data data data Place 3 data data data Place 1 data data data Place 4 data data data Place 2 data data data Place 1 data data data Pl...

office 2004 update 11.5.1 Macintosh fails to find correct version
I'm running MacOS X 10.5.5 and have not previously had MS update problems. I am running a full legal copy of 2004 version 11.5.0 . When I tell one of the apps to check for updates it finds 11.5.1, and that downloads fine. But when it attempts to install it searches for some time and then says it can not find the correct version of Office to update. I've tried downloading it manually and running the updater by hand but that fails in exactly the same way. Manually running updaters for 11.5.0 or 11.5.2 result in exactly the same error, but 11.5.1 should work (since I'm o...