[ANN] Office for Mac 2008 prices announced

Microsoft has released prices and packages for Office 2008 for Mac scheduled
for release in January 2008.

In addition, Microsoft announced a "technology guarantee program," As of
September 25, for anyone who purchases Office 2004 for Mac between now and
March 15 will get an upgrade to the 2008 equivalent for the cost of shipping
and handling when the final version ships.

<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2007/09/prices_for_office_for_mac_2008_annou
nced.html>

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)

The Tech Guarantee makes this a very good deal. Office 2004 is generally
considered an improvement over Office X (at least in Word, it has new
features while X is basically a port of 2001), and Office 2004 will
continue to have VBA while Office 2008 won't, so purchasing Office 2004
will let you have the best of both worlds for just S&H (probably an
overpriced $15 or so, but still worth it, I should think).

Diane wrote:
> Microsoft has released prices and packages for Office 2008 for Mac scheduled
> for release in January 2008.
>
> In addition, Microsoft announced a "technology guarantee program," As of
> September 25, for anyone who purchases Office 2004 for Mac between now and
> March 15 will get an upgrade to the 2008 equivalent for the cost of shipping
> and handling when the final version ships.
>
> <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2007/09/prices_for_office_for_mac_2008_annou
> nced.html>

0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
9/26/2007 8:33:05 PM
Hidden in all the hype is a downgrade in the package:

The Student/Teacher edition of 2008 will not have Entourage -- i.e. no
ability to connect w/ MS Exchange Server.  Office04 Student Edition does
include Entourage.

Poo on Microsoft.

--
Team EM to the rescue!  mailto:carl@Team-EM.com   http://www.team-em.com
0
<carl@witthoft.com> wrote:

> Hidden in all the hype is a downgrade in the package:
>
> The Student/Teacher edition of 2008 will not have Entourage -- i.e. no
> ability to connect w/ MS Exchange Server.  Office04 Student Edition does
> include Entourage.

It will include Entourage. Just not exchange.

One thing to note is the change in name. "Student and Teacher Edition" has
been replaced with "Home and Student Edition"! That means anyone (except
businesses) can buy Office 2008 for home for a much more affordable $150.00.

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)
9/26/2007 9:42:41 PM
I don't know whether we need to rush out and get 2008.

Computerworld just sent and update where Excel's Math in the 2007
version is defective. any figures that add, subtract, multiple, or
divide   a certain number 65, plus some don't show the proper number but
  100,000.  any numbers over that number or under work fine. there were
several thousand messages to Excel Support that caught the problem. Will
be a week or more before the next update and MS is unsure whether a fix
will be ready in time.

Daiya Mitchell wrote:
> The Tech Guarantee makes this a very good deal. Office 2004 is generally
> considered an improvement over Office X (at least in Word, it has new
> features while X is basically a port of 2001), and Office 2004 will
> continue to have VBA while Office 2008 won't, so purchasing Office 2004
> will let you have the best of both worlds for just S&H (probably an
> overpriced $15 or so, but still worth it, I should think).
>
> Diane wrote:
>> Microsoft has released prices and packages for Office 2008 for Mac
>> scheduled
>> for release in January 2008.
>>
>> In addition, Microsoft announced a "technology guarantee program," As of
>> September 25, for anyone who purchases Office 2004 for Mac between now
>> and
>> March 15 will get an upgrade to the 2008 equivalent for the cost of
>> shipping
>> and handling when the final version ships.
>>
>> <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2007/09/prices_for_office_for_mac_2008_annou
>>
>> nced.html>

Phillip M. Jones, CET   |LIFE MEMBER: VPEA ETA-I, NESDA, ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street      |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:276-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112   |pjones@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:pjones@kimbanet.com

<http://www.vpea.org>
0
pjones1 (24)
9/26/2007 10:54:45 PM
But does that include features of the standard package. I was thinking
the Student Teacher package was missing so features to make the price
cheaper.

Kin of like buying a Cadillac without air conditioning to save money.

Diane wrote:
> On 9/26/07 2:17 PM, in article
> carl-D5406E.17170926092007@comcast.dca.giganews.com, "Carl Witthoft"
> <carl@witthoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Hidden in all the hype is a downgrade in the package:
>>
>> The Student/Teacher edition of 2008 will not have Entourage -- i.e. no
>> ability to connect w/ MS Exchange Server.  Office04 Student Edition does
>> include Entourage.
>
> It will include Entourage. Just not exchange.
>
> One thing to note is the change in name. "Student and Teacher Edition" has
> been replaced with "Home and Student Edition"! That means anyone (except
> businesses) can buy Office 2008 for home for a much more affordable $150.00.

Phillip M. Jones, CET   |LIFE MEMBER: VPEA ETA-I, NESDA, ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street      |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:276-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112   |pjones@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:pjones@kimbanet.com

<http://www.vpea.org>
0
pjones1 (24)
9/26/2007 10:58:00 PM
AFAIK, there haven't been any specifics listed. I'll be sure to post them on
the Entourage Help Blog when that is available.

--
Diane

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)
9/26/2007 11:34:54 PM
I aimed my message at those still using Office X, though I forgot to say
so. We've had several questions from people about whether they should
buy 2004 or wait for 2008.  Now they can have both for only a little extra!

Phillip Jones wrote:
> I don't know whether we need to rush out and get 2008.
>
> Computerworld just sent and update where Excel's Math in the 2007
> version is defective. any figures that add, subtract, multiple, or
> divide   a certain number 65, plus some don't show the proper number
> but  100,000.  any numbers over that number or under work fine. there
> were several thousand messages to Excel Support that caught the
> problem. Will be a week or more before the next update and MS is
> unsure whether a fix will be ready in time.
>
> Daiya Mitchell wrote:
>> The Tech Guarantee makes this a very good deal. Office 2004 is
>> generally considered an improvement over Office X (at least in Word,
>> it has new features while X is basically a port of 2001), and Office
>> 2004 will continue to have VBA while Office 2008 won't, so purchasing
>> Office 2004 will let you have the best of both worlds for just S&H
>> (probably an overpriced $15 or so, but still worth it, I should think).
>>
>> Diane wrote:
>>> Microsoft has released prices and packages for Office 2008 for Mac
>>> scheduled
>>> for release in January 2008.
>>>
>>> In addition, Microsoft announced a "technology guarantee program,"
>>> As of
>>> September 25, for anyone who purchases Office 2004 for Mac between
>>> now and
>>> March 15 will get an upgrade to the 2008 equivalent for the cost of
>>> shipping
>>> and handling when the final version ships.
>>>
>>> <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2007/09/prices_for_office_for_mac_2008_annou
>>>
>>> nced.html>

0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
9/27/2007 2:02:12 AM
It's much better to cite actual information from MS than vague rumors
sent by "Computerworld" (I'm not familiar with whatever that is).

The bug is very limited. The fix has NOTHING to do with "the next
update", and will be available independently, once it has gone through
the test cycle.

The math is NOT defective, the *display* of two specific values is
(certain values near 65535 and 65536 display as 100000 and 100001,
respectively). This isn't a good thing, but it's certainly not the
disaster that a calculation error would have been:

http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/2007/09/25/calculation-issue-update.a
spx

In article <ev9W#AJAIHA.4584@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>,
 Phillip Jones <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:

> Computerworld just sent and update where Excel's Math in the 2007
> version is defective. any figures that add, subtract, multiple, or
> divide   a certain number 65, plus some don't show the proper number but
>   100,000.  any numbers over that number or under work fine. there were
> several thousand messages to Excel Support that caught the problem. Will
> be a week or more before the next update and MS is unsure whether a fix
> will be ready in time.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
9/27/2007 6:23:17 AM
In article <jemcgimpsey-AF28D6.00231727092007@msnews.microsoft.com>, JE
McGimpsey <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote:

> It's much better to cite actual information from MS than vague rumors
> sent by "Computerworld" (I'm not familiar with whatever that is).
>
> The bug is very limited. The fix has NOTHING to do with "the next
> update", and will be available independently, once it has gone through
> the test cycle.
>
> The math is NOT defective, the *display* of two specific values is
> (certain values near 65535 and 65536 display as 100000 and 100001,
> respectively). This isn't a good thing, but it's certainly not the
> disaster that a calculation error would have been:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/2007/09/25/calculation-issue-update.a
> spx

Well, that's putting a pretty fine spin on it.

And it is not only a display bug according to two of the posters to
that article. ( I can't test it myself without Excel 2007 and a Windows
OS)

to quote one
A1 =850*77.1 � --> 100000
B1 =A1+1 � � � --> 100001 (realy a display bug???)
C1 =A1-1 � � � --> 65534
D1 =B1-C1 � � �--> 2

...the other pointed out that ROUND(A1) produces 100000 for real.
That *is* a calculation error if true.

That is *very* sloppy work by MS. If ever there were a single edge
condition that had to regression tested at every release then 65336 ==
2^16 would have to be a top candidate.

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810  E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248
 Elliott Roper <nospam@yrl.co.uk> wrote:

> Well, that's putting a pretty fine spin on it.

Just trying not to panic, or engage in schadenfreude

> And it is not only a display bug according to two of the posters to
> that article. ( I can't test it myself without Excel 2007 and a Windows
> OS)

If they'd read the article, they'd see they're wrong.

> to quote one
> A1 =850*77.1 � --> 100000
> B1 =A1+1 � � � --> 100001 (realy a display bug???)
> C1 =A1-1 � � � --> 65534
> D1 =B1-C1 � � �--> 2

SInce A1+1 = 65536, and 65536 is one of the two values that produces the
display bug, it's hardly surprising that the display of A1+1 is also
faulty, but A1-1 isn't.

> ..the other pointed out that ROUND(A1) produces 100000 for real.
> That *is* a calculation error if true.

Uh, no. Since ROUND(A1) produces (at the internal representation level)
the *same* result as A1 (i.e, 65535 or 65536), it says nothing about a
calculation error.

> That is *very* sloppy work by MS. If ever there were a single edge
> condition that had to regression tested at every release then 65336 ==
> 2^16 would have to be a top candidate.

I absolutely agree that it's sloppy. But I don't necessarily agree it
would be a top candidate for thorough checking.

First of all, as far as the calculation is concerned, it can't have
anything to do with 2-byte boundaries -  all of XL's numeric values
(including integers) are stored in IEEE double-precision floating point
representation, which means 64-bit values, not 16. And while the Pentium
bug is still relatively fresh memory, no subsequent FPU has had a
problem with 64-bit math.

So there's no *inherent* "edge" at 2-bytes when it comes to converting
those 64-bit numbers to ASCII decimal representations.

That said, MS obviously *created* an edge in its internal rounding
routines, though I can't even begin to think of why or how.

Again, trying to look at it objectively, and based on what's been
released, it's a really limited bug that will likely be forgotten in a
month or two.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
9/27/2007 3:58:42 PM
In article <jemcgimpsey-587732.09584227092007@msnews.microsoft.com>, JE
McGimpsey <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote:
<snip>
> SInce A1+1 = 65536, and 65536 is one of the two values that produces the
> display bug, it's hardly surprising that the display of A1+1 is also
> faulty, but A1-1 isn't.
>
> > ..the other pointed out that ROUND(A1) produces 100000 for real.
> > That *is* a calculation error if true.
>
> Uh, no. Since ROUND(A1) produces (at the internal representation level)
> the *same* result as A1 (i.e, 65535 or 65536), it says nothing about a
> calculation error.

Oh Damn! You are perfectly correct. I too misread the article, assuming
open intervals in their "6 floating point numbers between
65534.99999999995 and 65535, and 6 between 65535.99999999995 and 65536
that cause this problem" whereas they meant to include the end points.

What a fine example of the pot calling the kettle black on edge cases!
I shall now crawl back into my hole.

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810  E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248
0
nospam9221 (85)
9/27/2007 5:13:24 PM
In article <C3202061.10420%diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org>,
 Diane <diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org> wrote:

> On 9/26/07 2:17 PM, in article
> carl-D5406E.17170926092007@comcast.dca.giganews.com, "Carl Witthoft"
> <carl@witthoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Hidden in all the hype is a downgrade in the package:
> >
> > The Student/Teacher edition of 2008 will not have Entourage -- i.e. no
> > ability to connect w/ MS Exchange Server.  Office04 Student Edition does
> > include Entourage.
>
> It will include Entourage. Just not exchange.

Can you explain what that means?   Entourage is the email and calendar
client.   Is "Entourage2008" slashed down to being just a POP/IMAP tool
or something?

--
Team EM to the rescue!  mailto:carl@Team-EM.com   http://www.team-em.com
0
carl3432 (5)
9/27/2007 9:01:04 PM
On 9/27/07 2:01 PM, in article
carl-28EBFE.17010427092007@comcast.dca.giganews.com, "Carl Witthoft"
<carl@witthoft.com> wrote:

>> It will include Entourage. Just not exchange.
>>

> Can you explain what that means?   Entourage is the email and calendar
> client.   Is "Entourage2008" slashed down to being just a POP/IMAP tool
> or something?

Without a formal announcement from Microsoft, my guess would be exchange
functionality will be disabled. Saying it's slashed down implies that it's
severely crippled.

My guess is that since it's a way to offer Home users a reduced price they
left out the exchange functionality, but then what are "home" users.

Right now all we can do is speculate until Microsoft clarifies what is
actually included.

If the lack of exchange functionality really bothers you, I suggest sending
Feedback to Microsoft under Help in the menu bar.

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)
9/27/2007 9:55:33 PM
I know if and when I upgrade I will most likely keep both in fact on my
Desktop machine in all likelihood I will be unable to load and use 2008
unless I run it from my Firewire external Drive. The Hard Drive internal
still has 10.39 and I've had 7 failed attempts to install OSX.4 despite
buying the Family pack install.

Daiya Mitchell wrote:
> I aimed my message at those still using Office X, though I forgot to say
> so. We've had several questions from people about whether they should
> buy 2004 or wait for 2008.  Now they can have both for only a little extra!
>
> Phillip Jones wrote:
>> I don't know whether we need to rush out and get 2008.
>>
>> Computerworld just sent and update where Excel's Math in the 2007
>> version is defective. any figures that add, subtract, multiple, or
>> divide   a certain number 65, plus some don't show the proper number
>> but  100,000.  any numbers over that number or under work fine. there
>> were several thousand messages to Excel Support that caught the
>> problem. Will be a week or more before the next update and MS is
>> unsure whether a fix will be ready in time.
>>
>> Daiya Mitchell wrote:
>>> The Tech Guarantee makes this a very good deal. Office 2004 is
>>> generally considered an improvement over Office X (at least in Word,
>>> it has new features while X is basically a port of 2001), and Office
>>> 2004 will continue to have VBA while Office 2008 won't, so purchasing
>>> Office 2004 will let you have the best of both worlds for just S&H
>>> (probably an overpriced $15 or so, but still worth it, I should think).

Phillip M. Jones, CET   |LIFE MEMBER: VPEA ETA-I, NESDA, ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street      |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:276-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112   |pjones@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:pjones@kimbanet.com

<http://www.vpea.org>
0
pjones1 (24)
9/27/2007 11:50:33 PM
It wasn't a rumor and it was the exact error you cited.

It was my recollection of the figures involved that was faulty. It was
reported at cNet, ZDnet, and Computer world.

I'm not one to report rumors. Whether the two updates are independent or
not Oct 9 was cited as next general update cycle.

My apologies if I did anything wrong.

And if EXCEL 2007 has already been adopted by fortune 500 companies. it
would seem to to be a somewhat big deal. as they would in all likelihood
run into using that number somewhere along the line. more so than the
average Joe.

I am just wondering if we will have the same bug in 20008 for Mac.

JE McGimpsey wrote:
> It's much better to cite actual information from MS than vague rumors
> sent by "Computerworld" (I'm not familiar with whatever that is).
>
> The bug is very limited. The fix has NOTHING to do with "the next
> update", and will be available independently, once it has gone through
> the test cycle.
>
> The math is NOT defective, the *display* of two specific values is
> (certain values near 65535 and 65536 display as 100000 and 100001,
> respectively). This isn't a good thing, but it's certainly not the
> disaster that a calculation error would have been:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/2007/09/25/calculation-issue-update.a
> spx
>

> In article <ev9W#AJAIHA.4584@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>,
>  Phillip Jones <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:
>
>> Computerworld just sent and update where Excel's Math in the 2007
>> version is defective. any figures that add, subtract, multiple, or
>> divide   a certain number 65, plus some don't show the proper number but
>>   100,000.  any numbers over that number or under work fine. there were
>> several thousand messages to Excel Support that caught the problem. Will
>> be a week or more before the next update and MS is unsure whether a fix
>> will be ready in time.

Phillip M. Jones, CET   |LIFE MEMBER: VPEA ETA-I, NESDA, ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street      |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:276-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112   |pjones@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:pjones@kimbanet.com

<http://www.vpea.org>
0
pjones1 (24)
9/27/2007 11:57:50 PM
On 9/27/07 4:50 PM, in article u6HBzEWAIHA.4584@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl,
"Phillip Jones" <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:

> I know if and when I upgrade I will most likely keep both in fact on my
> Desktop machine in all likelihood I will be unable to load and use 2008
> unless I run it from my Firewire external Drive. The Hard Drive internal
> still has 10.39 and I've had 7 failed attempts to install OSX.4 despite
> buying the Family pack install.

Please explain the 10.4 family pack and where you got this. I wasn't aware
Leopard had been released.

For your current set up, I suggest you do an "Archive & Install".

Make sure to choose the options to maintain your user settings. Once the
install has finished, your system will be at whatever level the disk you
have is. So if your Install DVD/CD disk is 10.3.3, that's what version of OS
will be on your Mac. You will need to download the appropriate Combo Updater
from Apple's site to restore the system to a higher version. After you run
the combo, allow Software Update to download and install any additional
updates.

If you are still having problems after this, then you need to wipe your
drive and install everything again.

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)
9/28/2007 2:43:45 AM
In article <C321B871.1063B%diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org>,
 Diane <diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org> wrote:

> Please explain the 10.4 family pack and where you got this. I wasn't aware
> Leopard had been released.

10.4.x is Tiger...

The 10.4 family pack had, IIRC, 5 licenses in one package at at
significant discount to the same number of individual licenses.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
9/28/2007 4:04:29 AM
In article <e11p3IWAIHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
 Phillip Jones <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:

> It wasn't a rumor and it was the exact error you cited.
>
> It was my recollection of the figures involved that was faulty. It was
> reported at cNet, ZDnet, and Computer world.

Sorry - it sounded like a report from several of the overhyped sources
around.

> I'm not one to report rumors. Whether the two updates are independent or
> not Oct 9 was cited as next general update cycle.
>
> My apologies if I did anything wrong.

Nothing. Sorry for the implication.

> And if EXCEL 2007 has already been adopted by fortune 500 companies. it
> would seem to to be a somewhat big deal. as they would in all likelihood
> run into using that number somewhere along the line. more so than the
> average Joe.

If it couldn't be corrected quickly, it *would* be a big deal. Given
that it apparently can, it will likely be forgotten soon. Yes it's more
likely to occur in a corporate environment, but it's still only a
display bug - follow-on calculations will be  accurate.

> I am just wondering if we will have the same bug in 20008 for Mac.

Undoubtedly not. The fix, if it's necessary (and there's no information
one way or the other as to that), will be available for several months
before release.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
9/28/2007 4:36:51 AM
Diane wrote:
> In addition, Microsoft announced a "technology guarantee program," As of
> September 25, for anyone who purchases Office 2004 for Mac between now and
> March 15 will get an upgrade to the 2008 equivalent for the cost of shipping
> and handling when the final version ships.

Colour me impressed with Microsoft for that. I get pretty hacked off
with Apple's miserly upgrade policy (buy a product more than a
nanosecond before it's replaced and tough doo-doo on you).

As for the Student/Teacher vs. Student/Home feature difference that's
got many outraged, I'm a bit upset about that as I would have used the
Exchange connector and I do qualify as a student. That said, the upgrade
is only $239, so I can live with that (especially at the current USD-GBP
exchange rate). I just need an excuse to be in the US in February now ...

Jon
0
jon7792 (1)
9/28/2007 1:54:56 PM

JE McGimpsey wrote:
> In article <e11p3IWAIHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
>  Phillip Jones <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:
>
>> It wasn't a rumor and it was the exact error you cited.
>>
>> It was my recollection of the figures involved that was faulty. It was
>> reported at cNet, ZDnet, and Computer world.
>
> Sorry - it sounded like a report from several of the overhyped sources
> around.
>
>> I'm not one to report rumors. Whether the two updates are independent or
>> not Oct 9 was cited as next general update cycle.
>>
>> My apologies if I did anything wrong.
>
> Nothing. Sorry for the implication.
>
>> And if EXCEL 2007 has already been adopted by fortune 500 companies. it
>> would seem to to be a somewhat big deal. as they would in all likelihood
>> run into using that number somewhere along the line. more so than the
>> average Joe.
>
> If it couldn't be corrected quickly, it *would* be a big deal. Given
> that it apparently can, it will likely be forgotten soon. Yes it's more
> likely to occur in a corporate environment, but it's still only a
> display bug - follow-on calculations will be  accurate.
>

>> I am just wondering if we will have the same bug in 20008 for Mac.
>
> Undoubtedly not. The fix, if it's necessary (and there's no information
> one way or the other as to that), will be available for several months
> before release.

Plus I thought of of something, because the Mac OS is UNIX in nature in
al likelihood the in math system use is totally different than in Windows.

Phillip M. Jones, CET   |LIFE MEMBER: VPEA ETA-I, NESDA, ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street      |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:276-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112   |pjones@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:pjones@kimbanet.com

<http://www.vpea.org>
0
pjones1 (24)
9/28/2007 9:36:23 PM
All MacOX versions since at least x.2 have been available in two
versions. one is the single user version which I believe was $99.00.
Then there is the Family Pack. at a cost of $199.00 which allow you to
install on up to 5 separate computers within your home or small Business
without going against the EULA (not called that at Apple but is what it
it amounts to.

Anyway I paid the extra bucks. Just so I could install on my Desktop and
laptop. I tried the desktop first either ending up with a stuck grey
screen or eventually with the circle and red diagonal bar. I tried
opening in single user mode. and safeboot. neither seemed to fix the
problem.  So I reverted back. Then I I installed on my Laptop with no
problem. Since the first attempt I tried 6 other times with the same result.

OSX.4 was supposed to be more sensitive to Sysytem RAm used and third
party items installed.

I've replaced my original Video card with an ATI 9000 (DVI card), and I
added over the years 1Gb of system RAm from MacWarehouse. Although
worked fine with OSX.3.9 may not with X.4. I also have a Third party
Airport Express card and also a USB 2.0 USB Card installed so any of
these could cause a Problem.

Diane wrote:
> On 9/27/07 4:50 PM, in article u6HBzEWAIHA.4584@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl,
> "Phillip Jones" <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:
>
>> I know if and when I upgrade I will most likely keep both in fact on my
>> Desktop machine in all likelihood I will be unable to load and use 2008
>> unless I run it from my Firewire external Drive. The Hard Drive internal
>> still has 10.39 and I've had 7 failed attempts to install OSX.4 despite
>> buying the Family pack install.
>
> Please explain the 10.4 family pack and where you got this. I wasn't aware
> Leopard had been released.
>
> For your current set up, I suggest you do an "Archive & Install".
>
> Make sure to choose the options to maintain your user settings. Once the
> install has finished, your system will be at whatever level the disk you
> have is. So if your Install DVD/CD disk is 10.3.3, that's what version of OS
> will be on your Mac. You will need to download the appropriate Combo Updater
> from Apple's site to restore the system to a higher version. After you run
> the combo, allow Software Update to download and install any additional
> updates.
>
> If you are still having problems after this, then you need to wipe your
> drive and install everything again.

Phillip M. Jones, CET   |LIFE MEMBER: VPEA ETA-I, NESDA, ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street      |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:276-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112   |pjones@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:pjones@kimbanet.com

<http://www.vpea.org>
0
pjones1 (24)
9/28/2007 9:48:18 PM
On 9/27/07 9:04 PM, in article
jemcgimpsey-24AB50.22042927092007@msnews.microsoft.com, "JE McGimpsey"
<jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote:

> In article <C321B871.1063B%diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org>,
>  Diane <diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org> wrote:
>
>> Please explain the 10.4 family pack and where you got this. I wasn't aware
>> Leopard had been released.
>
> 10.4.x is Tiger...

OK, I had a senior moment. (slapping hand to forhead)

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)
9/28/2007 10:58:30 PM
On 9/28/07 2:48 PM, in article exSfJlhAIHA.4656@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
"Phillip Jones" <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:

> I've replaced my original Video card with an ATI 9000 (DVI card), and I
> added over the years 1Gb of system RAm from MacWarehouse. Although
> worked fine with OSX.3.9 may not with X.4. I also have a Third party
> Airport Express card and also a USB 2.0 USB Card installed so any of
> these could cause a Problem.

I agree your hardware is probably the cause of your problems. I'm still
using a G4 and dread having to find the cash to upgrade. I believe I'll be
able to install Leopard on it, but that's probably as far as it will go.
<sigh>

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)
9/28/2007 11:03:06 PM
In article <eq#3eehAIHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>,
 Phillip Jones <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:

> >> I am just wondering if we will have the same bug in 20008 for Mac.
> >
> > Undoubtedly not. The fix, if it's necessary (and there's no information
> > one way or the other as to that), will be available for several months
> > before release.
>
> Plus I thought of of something, because the Mac OS is UNIX in nature in
> al likelihood the in math system use is totally different than in Windows.

Possibly, except that the cause of the display bug seems to have nothing
to do with the Windows math system - it's totally XL's internal
rendering code.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
9/29/2007 4:31:55 AM
Hi Carl:

It's better to think of the Corporate version as "adding" a conduit for
communication with an Exchange Server using the Exchange Server's native
protocol.

Entourage Home and Student in 2008 will have ALL the features, capabilities,
and functions of Entourage Corporate, except that it will need to use one of
the three alternative protocols when talking to a Microsoft Exchange Server.

It WILL correspond with an Exchange Server using IMAP or WEB Mail or POP 3.
Just not the Exchange native protocol.

People who do not have a corporate mail account on an Exchange Server will
never notice.  People using email at home to reach an Exchange account
probably will probably prefer the alternative protocols � the Exchange
protocol generates a hell of a lot of traffic you would probably rather did
not happen on your home internet connection.  Unless you have a very
high-speed internet connection, it makes email rather slow.

People who do have their mail on an Exchange Server will probably be given a
licence for the Corporate version by their system administrator, along with
the Client Access Licence they will also need to connect to the server.

So:  For corporations, the new split up will make little difference.  Home
users will never notice.  Small businesses will never notice because they
don't use Exchange Servers.

Some schools and universities will grumble, because they will have to
purchase the professional version of the product, and the client access
licences needed for each copy.  But they will be ordering thousands of
copies on a volume licence, so they will get the whole bundle a lot cheaper
than the advertised prices.

Hope this helps

On 28/09/07 6:31 AM, in article
<carl@witthoft.com> wrote:

> In article <C3202061.10420%diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org>,
>  Diane <diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org> wrote:
>
>> On 9/26/07 2:17 PM, in article
>> carl-D5406E.17170926092007@comcast.dca.giganews.com, "Carl Witthoft"
>> <carl@witthoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hidden in all the hype is a downgrade in the package:
>>>
>>> The Student/Teacher edition of 2008 will not have Entourage -- i.e. no
>>> ability to connect w/ MS Exchange Server.  Office04 Student Edition does
>>> include Entourage.
>>
>> It will include Entourage. Just not exchange.
>>

> Can you explain what that means?   Entourage is the email and calendar
> client.   Is "Entourage2008" slashed down to being just a POP/IMAP tool
> or something?
>
> --
> Team EM to the rescue!  mailto:carl@Team-EM.com   http://www.team-em.com

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Nhulunbuy, Northern Territory, Australia
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)
9/29/2007 10:38:27 AM
Diane wrote:
> On 9/28/07 2:48 PM, in article exSfJlhAIHA.4656@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
> "Phillip Jones" <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:
>
>> I've replaced my original Video card with an ATI 9000 (DVI card), and I
>> added over the years 1Gb of system RAm from MacWarehouse. Although
>> worked fine with OSX.3.9 may not with X.4. I also have a Third party
>> Airport Express card and also a USB 2.0 USB Card installed so any of
>> these could cause a Problem.
>
> I agree your hardware is probably the cause of your problems. I'm still
> using a G4 and dread having to find the cash to upgrade. I believe I'll be
> able to install Leopard on it, but that's probably as far as it will go.
> <sigh>

But then I installed OSX.4 on a FireWire external Hard Drive attached to
the same Machine. the difference being is that it was a "new from
Scratch install. and it is attached to this Machine. The firewire Drive
is a 160 GB WD where as the ata internal drive is a 120GB WD Hard Drive.

So if the New install (never had X.2 or X.3 on it) then and using the
same Machine. Then It should have had the same problems.
Phillip M. Jones, CET   |LIFE MEMBER: VPEA ETA-I, NESDA, ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street      |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:276-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112   |pjones@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:pjones@kimbanet.com

<http://www.vpea.org>
0
pjones1 (24)
9/29/2007 5:28:44 PM
On 9/29/07 10:28 AM, in article O3frx4rAIHA.4956@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
"Phillip Jones" <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:

> But then I installed OSX.4 on a FireWire external Hard Drive attached to
> the same Machine. the difference being is that it was a "new from
> Scratch install. and it is attached to this Machine. The firewire Drive
> is a 160 GB WD where as the ata internal drive is a 120GB WD Hard Drive.
>
> So if the New install (never had X.2 or X.3 on it) then and using the
> same Machine. Then It should have had the same problems.

I would wipe my internal then and install. It's possible you could use
something like SuperDuper! To clone your FW install selecting to erase
first. A lot would depend on what applications you have installed on the FW.

SuperDuper! Is $27.95. I�m not affiliated with the product. Just a satisfied
user.  <http://www.shirt-pocket.com/>
--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)
9/29/2007 9:52:56 PM
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 11:50:27 +0100, John McGhie wrote
(in article <C324613B.9996%john@mcghie.name>):

> Some schools and universities will grumble, because they will have to
> purchase the professional version of the product, and the client access
> licences needed for each copy.  But they will be ordering thousands of
> copies on a volume licence, so they will get the whole bundle a lot cheaper
> than the advertised prices.

Won't the Exchange CAL they have to buy anyway include the rights and
license to use the Exchange native version of Entourage?

So they could buy the student edition to get Word, Excel and PowerPoint
and use the Exchange CAL to run the Entourage from the Volume license
media when it ships.

Ian
--
Ian Robinson, Belfast, UK
<http://www.canicula.com/wp/>

0
junk5678 (3)
10/1/2007 1:13:32 PM
John,

Since you seem to be well informed about the 2008 versions, can you
please confirm whether the "Home and Student" edition of the software
will include support for AppleScript scripting, or whether
scriptability is also part of Microsoft's definition of an "automated
workflow" and requires the more expensive version?

This is not entirely clear to me (and possibly to others) based on the
official PR.

Thanks in advance.

Pierre Igot
--
LATEXT - Literature, Music & Visuals @ www.latext.com
BETALOGUE - Weblog at www.betalogue.com

0
latext (2)
10/1/2007 9:00:09 PM
Ian Robinson wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 11:50:27 +0100, John McGhie wrote
> (in article <C324613B.9996%john@mcghie.name>):
>
>> Some schools and universities will grumble, because they will have to
>> purchase the professional version of the product, and the client access
>> licences needed for each copy.  But they will be ordering thousands of
>> copies on a volume licence, so they will get the whole bundle a lot cheaper
>> than the advertised prices.
>
> Won't the Exchange CAL they have to buy anyway include the rights and
> license to use the Exchange native version of Entourage?
>
> So they could buy the student edition to get Word, Excel and PowerPoint
> and use the Exchange CAL to run the Entourage from the Volume license
> media when it ships.

This one's sticky.

Exchange Server 2007 licensing now only includes the Client Access
License (CAL) but not the client licenses itself. To use Exchange Server
2007 users or institutions will need to purchase the clients separately.

Exchange Server 2004 licensing does include the CAL and the client
license but I doubt this covers Outlook 2007 and Entourage 2008.

Institutions will have to negotiate their own licensing, so speculating
beyond this is only guesswork.

--

bill

William M. Smith, Microsoft Interop MVP - Mac/Windows
Entourage Help Page <http://entourage.mvps.org/>
mecklists1 (142)
10/2/2007 3:18:48 AM
Hi Pierre:

Sorry, mate: you know damned well that I can't go beyond the official
announcement.

Send me an email with your real address and I will get someone from the
Marketing team to answer you officially.

Cheers

On 2/10/07 6:30 AM, in article
1191272409.489860.202830@n39g2000hsh.googlegroups.com, "latext@gmail.com"
<latext@gmail.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> Since you seem to be well informed about the 2008 versions, can you
> please confirm whether the "Home and Student" edition of the software
> will include support for AppleScript scripting, or whether
> scriptability is also part of Microsoft's definition of an "automated
> workflow" and requires the more expensive version?
>
> This is not entirely clear to me (and possibly to others) based on the
> official PR.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Pierre Igot
> --
> LATEXT - Literature, Music & Visuals @ www.latext.com
> BETALOGUE - Weblog at www.betalogue.com

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Nhulunbuy, Northern Territory, Australia
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)
10/2/2007 12:42:24 PM
Will the Project Center still be in Entourage for the 2008 Home and Student
Edition?

On 9/25/07 6:29 PM, in article
C31EE7F2.1025D%diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org, "Diane"
<diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org> wrote:

> Microsoft has released prices and packages for Office 2008 for Mac scheduled
> for release in January 2008.
>
> In addition, Microsoft announced a "technology guarantee program," As of
> September 25, for anyone who purchases Office 2004 for Mac between now and
> March 15 will get an upgrade to the 2008 equivalent for the cost of shipping
> and handling when the final version ships.
>
> <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2007/09/prices_for_office_for_mac_2008_annou
> nced.html>

0
mpersell (1)
10/13/2007 8:05:04 PM
Hi Mike:

Sorry, but there is absolutely no point in asking questions like that in
here :-)

The answer will ALWAYS be "Those who know are not allowed to tell us, and
those who tell us, don't know."

Check the Microsoft/mac website.  That's the canonical source of truth on
these things: The will update what appears there several times between now
and the on-sale day.

Cheers

On 14/10/07 6:05 AM, in article C3368F20.1FE98%mpersell@mac.com, "Mike
Persell" <mpersell@mac.com> wrote:

Will the Project Center still be in Entourage for the 2008 Home and Student
Edition?

On 9/25/07 6:29 PM, in article
C31EE7F2.1025D%diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org, "Diane"
<diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org> wrote:

> Microsoft has released prices and packages for Office 2008 for Mac scheduled
> for release in January 2008.
>
> In addition, Microsoft announced a "technology guarantee program," As of
> September 25, for anyone who purchases Office 2004 for Mac between now and
> March 15 will get an upgrade to the 2008 equivalent for the cost of shipping
> and handling when the final version ships.
>
> <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2007/09/prices_for_office_for_mac_2008_annou
> nced.html>

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Sydney, Australia.  S33�53'34.20 E151�14'54.50
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)
10/14/2007 1:45:27 AM
Does this deal include Office Professional?

In article <1192499337.408795.230110@k35g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
 marknZayra@suscom-maine.net wrote:

> Does this deal include Office Professional?

According to the Technology Guarantee redemption form, the qualifying
products include only the English and French Language editions of

    Office 2004 for Mac Standard Edition
    Office 2004 for Mac Standard Edition Upgrade
    Office 2004 for Mac Student and Teacher Edition

Likewise, the online redemption options are limited to those editions.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
10/16/2007 2:11:29 AM
On 10/15/07 6:48 PM, in article
"marknZayra@suscom-maine.net" <marknZayra@suscom-maine.net> wrote:

Does this deal include Office Professional?

Professional included VPC. That is no longer required with the new Intel
Macs. The closest package sounds like it would be Microsoft Office for Mac
2008 Special Media Edition - $499.95
--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)
10/17/2007 4:21:44 AM
In article <C33ADBE8.11F21%diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org>,
 Diane <diane@invalid.entourage.mvps.org> wrote:

> Does this deal include Office Professional?
>
> Professional included VPC. That is no longer required with the new Intel
> Macs. The closest package sounds like it would be Microsoft Office for Mac
> 2008 Special Media Edition - $499.95

I interpreted the OP as asking whether buying Office 2004 Pro now would
qualify for Office 2008, which it appears it does not.

There are still a lot of non-intel Macs out there that can still use (if
only barely) VPC...
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
10/17/2007 5:01:10 AM
Unfortunately it's no more clear to anyone here... We really don't know much
more (if anything) about future releases than anyone else... And what little
we *might* have insights [i.e., speculative expectations] on cannot be
divulged. MS is the source you need to contact directly for clarification on
anything that hasn't yet/has been released - this forum is more attuned to
"after-the-fact" discussions:-) Try the info & links supplied here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 10/1/07 5:00 PM, in article

BETALOGUE - Weblog at www.betalogue.com

CCM asks:

Will Entourage 2008 "Special Edition" work properly with Exchange 2007?

"Phillip Jones" wrote:

> I don't know whether we need to rush out and get 2008.
>
> Computerworld just sent and update where Excel's Math in the 2007
> version is defective. any figures that add, subtract, multiple, or
> divide   a certain number 65, plus some don't show the proper number but
>   100,000.  any numbers over that number or under work fine. there were
> several thousand messages to Excel Support that caught the problem. Will
> be a week or more before the next update and MS is unsure whether a fix
> will be ready in time.
>
> Daiya Mitchell wrote:
> > The Tech Guarantee makes this a very good deal. Office 2004 is generally
> > considered an improvement over Office X (at least in Word, it has new
> > features while X is basically a port of 2001), and Office 2004 will
> > continue to have VBA while Office 2008 won't, so purchasing Office 2004
> > will let you have the best of both worlds for just S&H (probably an
> > overpriced $15 or so, but still worth it, I should think).
> >
> > Diane wrote:
> >> Microsoft has released prices and packages for Office 2008 for Mac
> >> scheduled
> >> for release in January 2008.
> >>
> >> In addition, Microsoft announced a "technology guarantee program," As of
> >> September 25, for anyone who purchases Office 2004 for Mac between now
> >> and
> >> March 15 will get an upgrade to the 2008 equivalent for the cost of
> >> shipping
> >> and handling when the final version ships.
> >>
> >> <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2007/09/prices_for_office_for_mac_2008_annou
> >>
> >> nced.html>

> Phillip M. Jones, CET   |LIFE MEMBER: VPEA ETA-I, NESDA, ISCET, Sterling
> 616 Liberty Street      |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:276-632-0868
> Martinsville Va 24112   |pjones@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet
>
> If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!
>
> mailto:pjones@kimbanet.com
>
> <http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/default.htm>
> <http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/90th_Birthday/index.htm>
> <http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/Fulcher/default.html>
> <http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/Harris/default.htm>
> <http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/Jones/default.htm>
>
> <http://www.vpea.org>

0
CCM (1)
10/21/2007 4:13:01 AM
In article <93910B39-397E-4137-9CB5-484D23A8C511@microsoft.com>,
 CCM <CCM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Will Entourage 2008 "Special Edition" work properly with Exchange 2007?

The Special Media Edition will contain Exchange support:

    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/go/promotions/default.aspx?pid=versions

For some of the features that have been released, and to help you decide
if meets the criteria for whatever you mean by "properly", see (and
watch over the next few weeks):

    feed://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/atom.xml
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
10/21/2007 4:37:31 AM
Hi Bob:

Did you check who the original poster was?  :-)

He's just trolling :-)

Cheers

BETALOGUE - Weblog at www.betalogue.com

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Sydney, Australia.  S33�53'34.20 E151�14'54.50
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)
10/21/2007 10:59:46 AM
People who hate MS Word with a passion can have legitimate questions
too.  :)

John McGhie wrote:
> Hi Bob:
>
> Did you check who the original poster was?  :-)
>
> He's just trolling :-)
>
> Cheers
>

> On 17/10/07 8:51 PM, in article C33B6157.2BE21%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net,
> "CyberTaz" <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:
>
> Unfortunately it's no more clear to anyone here... We really don't know much
> more (if anything) about future releases than anyone else... And what little
> we *might* have insights [i.e., speculative expectations] on cannot be
> divulged. MS is the source you need to contact directly for clarification on
> anything that hasn't yet/has been released - this forum is more attuned to
> "after-the-fact" discussions:-) Try the info & links supplied here:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 10/1/07 5:00 PM, in article
> 1191272409.489860.202830@n39g2000hsh.googlegroups.com, "latext@gmail.com"
> <latext@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> Since you seem to be well informed about the 2008 versions, can you
> please confirm whether the "Home and Student" edition of the software
> will include support for AppleScript scripting, or whether
> scriptability is also part of Microsoft's definition of an "automated
> workflow" and requires the more expensive version?
>
> This is not entirely clear to me (and possibly to others) based on the
> official PR.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Pierre Igot
> --
> LATEXT - Literature, Music & Visuals @ www.latext.com
> BETALOGUE - Weblog at www.betalogue.com

0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
10/21/2007 12:19:49 PM
Hi John -

Even Trolls deserve to be told their wasting their time... Once, anyway:-)

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 10/21/07 6:59 AM, in article C341673A.A8A8%john@mcghie.name, "John
McGhie" <john@mcghie.name> wrote:

> Hi Bob:
>
> Did you check who the original poster was?  :-)
>
> He's just trolling :-)
>
> Cheers
>

> On 17/10/07 8:51 PM, in article C33B6157.2BE21%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net,
> "CyberTaz" <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:
>
> Unfortunately it's no more clear to anyone here... We really don't know much
> more (if anything) about future releases than anyone else... And what little
> we *might* have insights [i.e., speculative expectations] on cannot be
> divulged. MS is the source you need to contact directly for clarification on
> anything that hasn't yet/has been released - this forum is more attuned to
> "after-the-fact" discussions:-) Try the info & links supplied here:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 10/1/07 5:00 PM, in article
> 1191272409.489860.202830@n39g2000hsh.googlegroups.com, "latext@gmail.com"
> <latext@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> Since you seem to be well informed about the 2008 versions, can you
> please confirm whether the "Home and Student" edition of the software
> will include support for AppleScript scripting, or whether
> scriptability is also part of Microsoft's definition of an "automated
> workflow" and requires the more expensive version?
>
> This is not entirely clear to me (and possibly to others) based on the
> official PR.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Pierre Igot
> --
> LATEXT - Literature, Music & Visuals @ www.latext.com
> BETALOGUE - Weblog at www.betalogue.com

Hi Bob:

As I did :-)  On Oct 3rd :-)

Cheers

On 21/10/07 11:32 PM, in article
C340D450.2C0C8%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net, "CyberTaz"
<onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:

Hi John -

Even Trolls deserve to be told their wasting their time... Once, anyway:-)

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 10/21/07 6:59 AM, in article C341673A.A8A8%john@mcghie.name, "John
McGhie" <john@mcghie.name> wrote:

> Hi Bob:
>
> Did you check who the original poster was?  :-)
>
> He's just trolling :-)
>
> Cheers
>

> On 17/10/07 8:51 PM, in article C33B6157.2BE21%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net,
> "CyberTaz" <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:
>
> Unfortunately it's no more clear to anyone here... We really don't know much
> more (if anything) about future releases than anyone else... And what little
> we *might* have insights [i.e., speculative expectations] on cannot be
> divulged. MS is the source you need to contact directly for clarification on
> anything that hasn't yet/has been released - this forum is more attuned to
> "after-the-fact" discussions:-) Try the info & links supplied here:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 10/1/07 5:00 PM, in article
> 1191272409.489860.202830@n39g2000hsh.googlegroups.com, "latext@gmail.com"
> <latext@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> Since you seem to be well informed about the 2008 versions, can you
> please confirm whether the "Home and Student" edition of the software
> will include support for AppleScript scripting, or whether
> scriptability is also part of Microsoft's definition of an "automated
> workflow" and requires the more expensive version?
>
> This is not entirely clear to me (and possibly to others) based on the
> official PR.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Pierre Igot
> --
> LATEXT - Literature, Music & Visuals @ www.latext.com
> BETALOGUE - Weblog at www.betalogue.com

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Sydney, Australia.  S33�53'34.20 E151�14'54.50
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)
10/22/2007 9:43:22 AM
Hello all,

But what I would really like to know is, does Office 2008 include a
"Applescript recorder" so that I can more easily learn applescript?

Or, is there a previous version of Office (like X) that has a recorder
that I can learn from?

This would really help get me up to speed.

Can anyone answer?

Cheers!

JPenSuisse wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> But what I would really like to know is, does Office 2008 include a
> "Applescript recorder" so that I can more easily learn applescript?
>
> Or, is there a previous version of Office (like X) that has a recorder
> that I can learn from?
>
> This would really help get me up to speed.

No information about AppleScript recording in Office has been released
(if it exists). However, the announcement regarding Office 2008 Standard
and Special Media Edition does include mention of Automator Actions.
While this may not teach you how to script Office, Automator should make
it easier for novice scripters to accomplish more with less AppleScript
expertise.

Hope this helps!

--

bill

William M. Smith, Microsoft Interop MVP - Mac/Windows
Entourage Help Page <http://entourage.mvps.org/>
mecklists1 (142)
10/30/2007 4:35:04 AM
On 10/29/07 3:46 PM, in article
1193697976.372648.27450@z9g2000hsf.googlegroups.com, "JPenSuisse"
<jpensuisse@hotmail.com> wrote:

>This would really help get me up to speed.

The best way to learn AppleScript is through an AppleScript list. Entourage
support for AppleScript is very good, but to learn scripting you need to
start with the basics.

There are tons of free scripts to use with Entourage. See

Scriptbuilders  <http://scriptbuilders.net/>

Favorite Scripts to use with Entourage

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/script/fav_scripts.html>
--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)
10/30/2007 5:19:42 AM
Literally, "Nobody can answer".  Those who know would go to jail if they
told us.  Those who tell us, by definition, don't know.

Just the way it is in software development.

If you want the question answered, remove the reference to "Office 2008".

Ask "How should I learn AppleScript?".

Then you might assume that some of the people who answer, actually know the
answer to your first question, but are not allowed to tell you.

You will then get the correct information without anyone going to jail :-)

Cheers

On 30/10/07 8:16 AM, in article
1193697976.372648.27450@z9g2000hsf.googlegroups.com, "JPenSuisse"
<jpensuisse@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hello all,

But what I would really like to know is, does Office 2008 include a
"Applescript recorder" so that I can more easily learn applescript?

Or, is there a previous version of Office (like X) that has a recorder
that I can learn from?

This would really help get me up to speed.

Can anyone answer?

Cheers!

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Nhulunbuy, Northern Territory, Australia
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)
10/31/2007 10:09:17 AM
From Script Editor Help:

"Recording scripts
Some applications (for example, QuickTime Player) let you record actions
using Script Editor. Recording is an easy way to create a simple script or
start a more complex script. To determine if an application is recordable,
try recording an action.

Script Editor only records actions that change a document, setting, or other
aspect of the application. It does not record actions such as clicking in a
window or moving the pointer.

To record a script:
Open Script Editor.
Click Record.
Perform the actions you want to record.
To stop recording, click Stop in Script Editor.

Not all scriptable applications can record. If you can't record actions for
an application, the application isn't recordable."

We won't know for sure about record-ability in *any* software before it
ships will we?
Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 10/29/07 6:46 PM, in article

In article <C34DE8E2.2CA7A%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net>,
 CyberTaz <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:

> We won't know for sure about record-ability in *any* software before it
> ships will we?

Well, to be fair, *some* software manufacturers actually announce *prior
to release* that their software will be applescript-recordable...
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
10/31/2007 12:33:26 PM
Hi JPenSuisse--

I don't think Office has ever had an applescript recorder. Re getting up
to speed, find out how you can get a copy of this:
http://www.mactech.com/news/?p=1009354

I've been told that playing around with a recorder is not a very good
way to learn AppleScript, anyhow.

Daiya

JPenSuisse wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> But what I would really like to know is, does Office 2008 include a
> "Applescript recorder" so that I can more easily learn applescript?
>
> Or, is there a previous version of Office (like X) that has a recorder
> that I can learn from?
>
> This would really help get me up to speed.
>
> Can anyone answer?
>
> Cheers!

0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
10/31/2007 12:45:40 PM
In article <uO8Lzv7GIHA.2100@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>,
 Daiya Mitchell <daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID> wrote:

> JPenSuisse wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > But what I would really like to know is, does Office 2008 include a
> > "Applescript recorder" so that I can more easily learn applescript?
> >
> > Or, is there a previous version of Office (like X) that has a recorder
> > that I can learn from?
> >
> > This would really help get me up to speed.
> >
> > Can anyone answer?
>
> I don't think Office has ever had an applescript recorder. Re getting up
> to speed, find out how you can get a copy of this:
> http://www.mactech.com/news/?p=1009354
>
> I've been told that playing around with a recorder is not a very good
> way to learn AppleScript, anyhow.

That's correct - it's not the best way to learn.

--
Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to

JR
Sorry John - didn't know you were awake yet:-) Perhaps it should have read
"... before it's announced...".

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 10/31/07 8:33 AM, in article
jemcgimpsey-119E1E.06332631102007@msnews.microsoft.com, "JE McGimpsey"
<jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote:

In article <C34DE8E2.2CA7A%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net>,
 CyberTaz <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:

> We won't know for sure about record-ability in *any* software before it
> ships will we?

Well, to be fair, *some* software manufacturers actually announce *prior
to release* that their software will be applescript-recordable...

Word Mac Page Numbering
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I recently completed work on a book I have been writing. The last step in the process is to add page numbers. I want the first 5 pages consist of the title page, copyright page, etc., so I don't want page numbers on these page, I want to start page#1 on what is the 5th actual page of the document. However, after carefully following the Microsoft directions, as well as other online sources, and spending upwards of 4 hours just on this task, I am considering committing suicide. <br> Seriously, though, ...

Office 2000 & Office 2007
Just got a new laptop with windows 7. Had purchased office 2000 for my old pc, can I updgrade to Office 2007 or do I have to buy it all over again. Is so how ? "Kevan McArthur" <Kevan McArthur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F0B994BB-CF9A-4053-8B09-D55B1B3894FE@microsoft.com... > Just got a new laptop with windows 7. Had purchased office 2000 for my old > pc, can I updgrade to Office 2007 or do I have to buy it all over again. > Is > so how ? You can upgrade to any upgrade edition of Office 2007. You will need the installation dis...

Office 2008 Setup Assistant Repeatedly Crashes
Installed Office 2008 via Remote Disc to a Macbook Air. When launching Office Apps, Office Setup Assistant opens but when I attempt to continue it crashes. Here's the error report Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0 Error Signature: Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS Date/Time: 2008-02-16 12:00:46 -0800 Application Name: Microsoft Office Setup Assistant Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.setupassistant Application Signature: MosA Application Version: 12.0.0.071130 Crashed Module Name: EntourageLegacy Crashed Module Version: unknown Crashed Module Offset: 0x000e921f Blame Module Name: Ent...

Upgrade from 2008 home to full
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I am using 08 office for home edition, after few months I want to have the full version. Can i upgrade to full version?? Paul pjeya25@gmail.com On 8/5/09 5:54 AM, in article 59b79a49.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "PJFirstMac@officeformac.com" <PJFirstMac@officeformac.com> wrote: > I am using 08 office for home edition, after few months I want to have the > full version. > > Can i upgrade to full version?? No, you have to purchase the full version. Because you've used it for several mon...

Working with Office Live Workspace
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Does Office for Mac work with Office Live Workspace? ...

Out of Office settings 2007 outlook
Out of Office settings cannot be displayed, because the server is currently unavailable. 2007 office just had Exchange service pack 2 installed and hot fix KB970892 I did a Test E-mail AutoConfiguration test all ok You are best directing this too an exchange or outlook group Simon "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BABA10B5-D450-4C63-9AE5-40A23143DD19@microsoft.com... > Out of Office settings cannot be displayed, because the server is > currently > unavailable. > 2007 office > just had Exchange service pack 2 instal...

Office 2007 ultimate and Outlook 2007 Installation
I currently have Outlook 2007 on my PC. I will be installinf the complete ultimate suite. Do I need to uninstall the current outlook 2007 first? If I don't and install over it, will I loose my emails and folders? I would prefer to install all of the office suite in case there are files or links that could be omitted if I choose not to install outllok from the suite. Thank you for your help RGH Which Office 2007 version do you have installed at present -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be a...

How do you use the Livescribe smartpen with MS Office products?
I just received a Pulse Smartpen as a gift and I love it. I am curious about how other users of Office products utilize their smartpen features with Office ...

Reintstalling Office 03 on a new machine, Excel does not appear
Hi, Had to put a new hard drive in my notebook, and reinstall XP home and all my software. Reinstalled Office from original disks, and most of it works. Word is fine. However Excel does not appear in Start/All Programs or anywhere else. Tried three times. What's up? Mike Try Start>Run excel.exe Anything? When you re-installed was it a "typical" or a "custom"? Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/remove programs. Scroll down to Office 2003 and change/remove. Select change. Follow your nose from there and you can see if Excel has been installed. Hav...

Retail sales price automatically updated from landed cost
New implementation, new to GP. Was going to perform back office functions (PO & receiving) in RMS but we could not automatically create landed cost from supplier invoice cost at time of receiving, update retail sales price based on landed cost at time of receiving or receive multiple invoice for 1 PO. Now looking to perform back office in GP. One of many questions - when receiving against a PO, the landed cost will update based on the landed cost group. Is there a way to automatically update the retail sales price of the item at the same time based on landed cost x multiplication ...

Office 2003 rollout
I am trying to roll out Office 2003 using an MST file - deployed from System Center Essentials. The installation is successful on the workstation, and SCE reports the installation as successful. However upon reboot the workstation says that it needs the Office install again. I pretty much accepted the defaults in creating the MST file using the Resource Kit's Custom Installation Wizard. I did make a few changes to the product features, but that's about it. Initially I did have the MST configured to remove any prior versions of Office but suspected that this could...

Office 2003 #3
I installed Microsoft Office 2003 and cannot create, reply or forward email. I am receiveing the error message "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook. I have applied all of the updates for Office 2003. I'm having the exact same problem...same message. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, as well. No help! >-----Original Message----- >I installed Microsoft Office 2003 and cannot create, reply >or forward email. I am receiveing the error message "The >messaging interface has returned an unknown e...

3party Omni prices for version 9.0 dynamics
I want to if the omni prices works in dynamics 9.0 I have it working on a couple of V9.0 Sites with no problems noted. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP http://www.AccoladePublications.com Documentation for Software Users "Pedro Ramos" wrote: > I want to if the omni prices works in dynamics 9.0 > > > Have a look at the downloads pages of Winthrop's web site (http://www.winthropdc.com), you can see which versions are supported. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer MBS Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Busi...

Student Office for Mac Woes.....
First, thanks in advance to all those who help Next, I must admit, Mac is TOTALLY different. I'm being straight forward about this, Mac is tough for me to get use to in order to help my daughter since I'm so use to Windows etc. We installed Student Office for Mac in her new laptop she bought last week for college. We did NOT uninstall the Demo, thanks to M$ being so inept by not providing a pop up warning of some sort during install. What must we do now? She installed her college Student Office for Mac, used it before she learned about the required deletion of the Demo version?...

ANNOUNCE: v2007 of Altova XML software available
Altova is pleased to announce the availability of Version 2007 of its XML product line. Version 2007 provides numerous new features and updates, including a revolutionary new WSDL editor in XMLSpy=C2=AE, the ability to use Web services as sources, targets, or functions in MapForce=C2=AE data integration projects, output sorting in StyleVision=C2= =AE, a major speed increase in the AltovaXML=E2=84=A2 processor built into the products, and much more. In addition, limited time offers allow customers to save up to 52% when they upgrade to XMLSpy 2007 from an older version, or get a free license fo...

Out of Office Subsequent Rules?
Hi, I've created a couple of Out of Office rules (Exchange 2000 Server and Outlook 2003) and am having trouble with the subsequent rules action. I need to have mail that is sent to me when I'm out of the office forwarded to my Blackberry phone (yes, I know there is a Blackberry server to do this but for just one user that's over the top) APART from when messages contain attachments. So I have created the first rule in the order list that says when any mail arrives that has attachments, move it to a specific mail folder (so I can deal with it later) and NOT TO PROCESS SUBSEQ...

office 2003 install question
I just purchased a new HP laptop that does not have an optical drive. I have Office 2003 with my product key and want to know if there is any way to install this on my new laptop without an optical drive. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! "freddy" <freddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B1912A3-B7DB-4585-A902-543F04317242@microsoft.com... > I just purchased a new HP laptop that does not have an optical drive. I > have > Office 2003 with my product key and want to know if there is any way to > install this on my new laptop withou...

Office Icons - tweaking and saving
The icons provided when installing Office leave, shall we say "something left to whish for" ... Which leaves me with the task of editing them. I make several toolbars, global and local, full of macros, each one with a separate icon (no text - takes to much space). In order to successfully separate these icons I need to make if not unique at least different. It’s tedious and mundane, but once done - I'm happy again. That is until the computer crashes... Is there not a program, or something, that lets me save and by all means, retrieve these icons? I use the...

how do i create an office data connection file
i want to call a parameterized data connection. i want to eventually put this in office sharepoint server 2007's data connection library. every time i open the connection file i have successfully created that connects to the db, it want me to pick a table. i can cancel out of that and change it to sql and say to use a procedure, but i can't save this file, and the "Edit Query..." and "Parameters..." buttons are disabled so i can't set parameters. why is it so hard to work with this thing? thanks ...

Getting Started Section in Office 2003
whenever I open an Office application like Excel, there is that section to the right 'Getting Started.' I am using Office 2003. this happens in Word as well. How can I remove them? I've looked in Tools > Options but wasn't able to find anything myself. I don't want them open when I intially open the application. Thanks in advance. Hi dsimoens! No need to post to more than one group. Press any key to continue on opening the file Make a couple of minor changes The save the file and re-open If created in an earlier version of Excel I think that saving will produce a di...

How do you set up an "Out of Office" auto reply??
Can someone give me some quick, easy directions? http://www.slipstick.com/rules/autoreply.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, VLC asked: | Can someone give me some quick, easy directions? ...

Office assistant error
Hi everyone, I only joined today so easy on me!!!!!! We have Outlook 2003 and Office 2000 SP3 intalled and receive the following error when Outlook is opened and then try to open any other applications, i'e word, excell "The office assistant could not be started. Please repair the assistant by running office 2000 setup and selecting repair office 2000". Running repair does not make the error message stop. The office assistant works in all applications the error message just keeps popping up. If I open word or excell on their own it's not a proble as soon as outlook 2003 is...

Can I use Outlook 2007 with Office 2000 Professional?
I have Office 2000 and I need Outlook 2003 or higher. What is the most cost effective way to achieve this? Thanks. Install Office 2000 w/out Outlook 2000 in folder: c:\program files\microsoft office 2000 Install Outlook 2003 in folder: c:\program files\microsoft office 2003 Just keep in mind that when you mix and match versions that you will have some compatibility issues. What else... since you own Office 2000, you might want to check your favorite retailer of computer hardware/software and see if you can acquire a new copy of Office for a reasonable price. "tom...

Office Picture Manager e-mail option greyed out
Hello, Using the Office Picture Manager, I select a picture, then select e-mail pictures. Within this pop up on the right hand side, i am supposed to be able to Attach, Display as previewed, and then create message. Only thing is all of the selections are grayed out and nothing can be selected. Questions are, Is Picture Manager hard coded to use Outlook or Outlook Express only? Are there any registry settings which might be massaged to point to another e-mail program? Thanks ...

File Locked Error
I'm still trying to talk our IS group into rebooting the server... I'm a little curious how the lock actually follows the file. Even i we copy it to another computer, the XL file still complains the file i locked. Is there a lock flag that is embedded in the file properties? Steve Lady Layla Wrote: > If the file is stored on the server and the file is saying it is locke > by a > user -- if the user's system has been rebooted, most likely the onl > thing that > will release the lock is rebooting the server. It is unfortunate bu > it does > have to be do...