Workaround for Opening Word 6 Files (other than File>Open)?

Hi all,

I know in Word 2008 I can open my Word 6 files using File>Open. This
works fine but annoys the heck out of me. MS has made a "security"
choice here that is about *their* security from possible lawsuits, not
*my* security from possible phishers. Sheesh, I am trying to look at
my dissertation; no one has embedded dangerous code in it!

So, my question is: Is there a workaround for this?

Ideally there'd be a preference to turn off this "feature," but I'm
sure there isn't one. Alternately, perhaps a way to batch change the
document type on old files to fool Word? Or, what else? Half an hour
of googling has revealed nothing. Any strategies?

Thanks for any tips,

Franz
0
Franz

On Feb 17, 6:12=A0pm, Franz <fr...@mind2mind.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know inWord2008 I canopenmyWord6files using File>Open. This
> works fine but annoys the heck out of me. MS has made a "security"
> choice here that is about *their* security from possible lawsuits, not
> *my* security from possible phishers. Sheesh, I am trying to look at
> my dissertation; no one has embedded dangerous code in it!
>
> So, my question is: Is there aworkaroundfor this?
>
> Ideally there'd be a preference to turn off this "feature," but I'm
> sure there isn't one. Alternately, perhaps a way to batch change the
> document type on old files to foolWord? Or, what else? Half an hour
> of googling has revealed nothing. Any strategies?
>
> Thanks for any tips,
>
> Franz

Hi all,

Well, no answers here, so I looked around further and found a new
answer:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=3Dmic=
rosoft.public.mac.office.word&tid=3D39a692fc-bdf8-48af-96f4-0663dce047f2&mi=
d=3D6e95bdaa-348d-4b1e-a3d4-9bf9770ff3e0&cat=3D&lang=3D&cr=3D&sloc=3D&p=3D4
-----

All versions of Microsoft Office (for Mac) come with a collection of
Automator actions *except* the Home and Student version. The Automator
application itself is part of MacOS X, not Microsoft Office.

That leaves you with some possibilities. An easy one that just costs
money is to purchase one of the other versions of Office 2008, and
then
use an auotmator action to create a folder action.

For free, you can create an AppleScript and make your own folder
action
that opens a file and uses Save As in the new file format. However, I
don't have the time to research the Applescript you would need to do
this. You can learn AppleScript at:
http://developer.apple.com/applescript/

Either way, you would create a folder action that would automatically
update the Word files.

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

-----

Aha! I figure I have the "student" version, as I bought it from my
university, even though I'm faculty. Looks like I'll have to learn
some Applescript to do some batch converting. Really really annoying.
But it's nice to think that Jim and Apple can help me, even though
Microsoft won't.

Cheers,

Franz
0
Franz
3/1/2010 3:50:11 AM
Hi Franz:

Ummm...  Well, that answer you found?  That IS in here!  I just posted to
that thread: it's just up the list a few blocks... :-)

The bottom line is:  "No", there's no work-around for the security warning:
you have to use File>Open.  If there were a work-around, the bad guys would
target it.

And while the change does have the effect of making it even harder to sue
Microsoft, it does also protect you from a document that would otherwise
send all your details and the contents of your bank accounts to a foreign
land where you have no ability to sue anyone.

Cheers

On 1/03/10 2:50 PM, in article
0cb0c755-6d81-4efd-9483-ef9f0e61a158@z10g2000prh.googlegroups.com, "Franz"

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

0
John
3/1/2010 6:53:20 AM
.... And you need incur the message only once per file if you Save As to
create a copy in .docx format. As you may have seen in my reply to another
thread in which you posted, it is not just a matter of changing the filename
extension. It's the file _structure_ that needs to be updated, and that
cannot be done without Opening the file in a program capable of resaving it
in the OXML format. Arbitrarily sticking a different extension onto a file
is likely to cause the file to be damaged beyond repair.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/1/10 1:53 AM, in article C7B1AF90.5CA3%john@mcghie.name, "John McGhie"
<john@mcghie.name> wrote:

> [...]
>> Jim Gordon
>> Mac MVP
>> Co-author of Office 2008 for Mac All-in-One For Dummies
>> http://tinyurl.com/Office-2008-for-Dummies
>>
>> -----
>>
>> Aha! I figure I have the "student" version, as I bought it from my
>> university, even though I'm faculty. Looks like I'll have to learn
>> some Applescript to do some batch converting. Really really annoying.
>> But it's nice to think that Jim and Apple can help me, even though
>> Microsoft won't.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Franz
>
> This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
> matters unless you intend to pay!
>
>  --
>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

CyberTaz
3/1/2010 11:30:33 AM
On Mar 1, 3:30=A0am, CyberTaz <onlygeneralt...@com.cast.net> wrote:
> [...]
> >> Mac MVP
> >> Co-author of Office 2008 for Mac All-in-One For Dummies
> >>http://tinyurl.com/Office-2008-for-Dummies
>
> >> -----
>
> >> Aha! I figure I have the "student" version, as I bought it from my
> >> university, even though I'm faculty. Looks like I'll have to learn
> >> some Applescript to do some batch converting. Really really annoying.
> >> But it's nice to think that Jim and Apple can help me, even though
> >> Microsoft won't.
>
> >> Cheers,
>
> >> Franz
>
> > This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
> > matters unless you intend to pay!
>
> > =A0--
>
> > John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Write=
r,
> > McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

As I said in the other thread: Thanks guys!

I appreciate not having my bank account passwords not sent to someone
in Russia or Nigeria. So, grudging respect to Microsoft. I also
appreciate the clarification on real opening and saving as vs just
changing the extension on a file. I'm biting the bullet and going
through them one-by-one. It *is* interesting, I have to admit, to see
things I wrote 15 years ago--so my challenge is to find the fun in
this process.

Like life, eh?
0
Franz
3/2/2010 4:02:19 AM
Hi Franz:

On 2/03/10 3:02 PM, in article
5613eb18-3401-4677-af7e-3d71f9ad0771@f17g2000prh.googlegroups.com, "Franz"
<franz@mind2mind.net> wrote:

> It *is* interesting, I have to admit, to see
> things I wrote 15 years ago--so my challenge is to find the fun in
> this process.

Ah ... Yeah...  I am often given to emotional states when I read stuff I
wrote 15 years ago...  Although, "embarrassment" is just as common as
"amusement"...

The worst of it is when you can't remember how to do something, and after 20
minutes Googling, come across the answer � written by yourself!  (Yes, it
has happened to me � more than once ...)  :-)

Cheers

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.
Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410; mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John

Word hangs when I try to edit text

Prohibited File Type?
If someone sends me a picture file as an attachment to an email message I get shown "Prohibited File Type..file deactivated". I can see the pic in the body of the message but can't open and view the picture file by clicking it? Similarly if I try to attach a picture file to a message I send that also gives the same warning both before sending and to the recipient? The files In question are jpg files. Anyone advise please? Tools/Safety/Options/Security Uncheck - do not allow attachments to be save or opened - block images and other external content Check (op...

.xls files opening in IE rather than xls
When opening files downloaded from the web, they are opened in an IE windo rather than the appropriate Office 2003 tool (word, excel, etc.) From a previous post: There's a setting in Windows that you can change. In win98, I can do this: Start Windows Explorer View|Folder Options File Types Tab scroll down to MS Excel Worksheet Select it click the edit button There's an option to "browse in same window". Uncheck it. That's where you can toggle the "confirm open after download", too. How to Configure Internet Explorer to Open Office Documents in the Appr...

CRM 3.0 Reports:Error when trying to open reports on client m/c
I am unable to access CRM Reports from any other machine except the CRM Server (Physical) box. I logged in as different users on the CRM server and was able to open and see all of the reports based on roles. But I am not able to view reports from any of the client machines. I am accessing Reports through a web-client. Upon trying to access reports through a client machine, I get the message " An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system administrator". This does not tell me anything I do not see anything unusual in the Web server (CRM Server), or the Da...

Hidden Folders and Files
I am using Windows XP pro, 2nd, service pack. For some reason, I am now unable to see my hidden files and folders, even though I was able to a short while ago. I don't know what I have done to change this. Under folder options I have selected "Display the contents of system folders" and "Show hidden files and folders" However they are not visible. Any advise? Thanks. leasider<SPAM> wrote: > I am using Windows XP pro, 2nd, service pack. > > For some reason, I am now unable to see my hidden files and folders, > even though I was able to a short ...

PERSONAL Workbook is not opening
WHen I open Excel, my PERSONAL workbook is not opening, then I can't access to my Macros. I have checked if its located in the XLSTART folder and it is. Can you help me to solve this out? Maybe personal.xls was disabled... xl2002+ has the abililty to quarantine what it thinks are bad workbooks. They can keep track of them so that it doesn't even try to open them. If you look under Help|About MS Excel, you'll see a button called: "Disabled Items...". Check under there to see if it's marked not to open. You can enable it there, too. If the workbook is real...

Show userform at spreadsheet open
How do you make a userform open when you open a spreadsheet? Can anyone help? Thankyou, Roger [excel2003] hi sheet or file? sheet..... Private Sub Worksheet_Activate() Load userform1 userform1.Show 0 End Sub lookup modal and modaless forms in vb help. file.... Private Sub Workbook_Open() Load userform1 userform1.Show 0 End Sub also see this site.... http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm regards FSt1 "Roger on Excel" wrote: > How do you make a userform open when you open a spreadsheet? > > Can anyone help? > &g...

How do I install when "file ZF561407.CAB can not be found"

Excel 2000: File >> New menu command causes application crash
This is occurring on only one machine on a network! After saving an emailed Excel template to a standard network location for Microsoft templates, when selecting File >> New this installation of Excel 2000 crashes ("Excel not responding" on Close program dialog). On other machines there is no problem. Have "repaired" Microsoft Office using that option from the installation CD-ROM, have removed Excel from Office installation, rebooted and reinstalled Excel. No change on the problem behaviour. Everything else appears to be working just fine in this copy of Excel. We ...

Problems with MS-DateTime-Picker 6.0
My userform has a Multipage control on top. My Microsoft Date-Time-Picker 6.0 Control is sitting on "Page 1" of the Multi-page control. If I change to "Page 2" and try to access the ".Value" of the DTPicker control, it will return an error value. (It is returning the year 1899). What is wrong here? Does the DTPicker need to be on the visible page to be used?? Are there any other things I should know about this DTPicker control? Robert, You could assign the DTPicker's value to a public date variable in its change event. HTH, Be...

What firewall ports to open to manage server through ESM?
Hi, Got 2 Exchange 2003 servers (in separate RGs) which are connected via WAN and separated by Firewalls. What are the Firewall ports I need to open in order to manage the remote Exchange server, using a local ESM? TIA, Shel Shel: I don't know the answer, but why can't you use Remote Desktop Connection (port 3389) for this? From my experience, it is at least 10x faster than directly using ESM or ADUC and works great even over 56k dial-up to a VPN. Regards, Martin "Shel" <shel@msnews.forum.com> wrote in message news:OJlNgOwcEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > H...

"Do you want to save" when Excel OPENS
I understand about the "Do you want to save" message when you close Excel, even if you didn't make any changes: Excel doesn't distinguish between real changes and the recalculation of volatile functions. But at work we've had a user claim that he gets the message when he OPENS Excel when our add-in is checked (having been checked when Excel was open before). Specifically, it asks "Do you want to save changes to Sheet 2?" I'm sure it's not our add-in as such, since no one has ever report this before. But it may be some interaction between our add-...

Merging mass e-mails between word and Outlook (XP)
When sending a mass e-mail from Word to Outlook, a message appears stating that 'another program is trying to automatically send e-mails' You choose 'Allow access for 10 minutes' and click OK Then, a similiar message appears for each of the e-mails being sent. You need to click Yes for each of the e- mails. I have tried adjusting security levels with no luck. Any ideas?? ...

badmail #6
I am running Exchange Best practices Analyzer and it comes back with the error : BadMail messages (NDR of DSN) exceeds an average of 1000 per day for SMTP instance 'Default SMTP Virtual Server' on server "Newman" There may be a mail flow problem. BadMail message average per day: 83969. Since there is no badmail folder and I do get a few NDR's in my event viewer but not even close to the number referenced above. How can I check this and where does the Badmail go now that there is no folder? Thanks in advance for your help. P.S. Also I have a lot of messages in t...

Open windows explorer
Does anyone know how to have a cell "hyperlink" to windows explorer open to a particular folder? Right-click the cell, select Hyperlink and point to your folder. -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Only 1 taskbar button when i open 2 excel documents
Hi all. When i open 2 excel documents i have only 1 taskbar button on the taskbar even though i did not choose the option to group similar taskbar buttons under taskbar properties. Hence when i want to switch between the 2 documents i need to go to window and select them. Hence how do i solve this so that i can have 2 taskbar buttons of the excel documents on the taskbar? Thks in advance. Tools>Options>View, check Windows In taskbar -- HTH Bob Phillips "inenewbl" <inenewbl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6F715432-2EB2-47AC-B737-56D63F37537A@mi...

a larger window to view the files
Hello, When I click on the "FILE, OPEN" menu items I get a dialogue box showing a list of all the Excel files on my directory and then I can chose the file I want to open. Often, before I select which file I want, I need to resize the columns (Name, Size, type, modified) within that dialogue box to look at various properties and it would be ever so useful if there existed a Macro or utility that presented the list of files in a somewhat larger window so that I did not need to move the column widths each time. Needless to say, this does not just apply to Excel but that is a prog I ...

Unable to import Quicken file to Money
I am trying to import my QUICKEN 2004 data file (QDATA.QDF) into Money 2004. I followed all the directions and validated the QDATA file first, but NOTHING imports. All I get are messages that indicate "Your Quicken file contained invalid transaction types". The only transactions I have are account (Checking and Savings) transactions - debits and credits. I have tried this a number of times, and downloaded all updates to Money, but nothing ever converts. Can anyone help? You can not import Q2004 into M2004. You'll have to wait a few more days and then import it into M2...

outlook cant find file MSOE.DLL
when i try to open outlook an error msg comes up - cannot locate file MSOE.DLL. when i went to start, find, folder/files and searched for it i found it. how can i fix the problem please help. If you're using XP, it should be in the Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\Outlook Express. This implies that it associates with the user who's logged into the system. Are you logging in as User Name in the above example? If not, that's why it can't find it. Further help is available in MSOE.TXT in the same sub-directory. Good Luck! <dinky_devil@hotmail.com> wrote...

5.6.3 error
We have a monitoring program sending us daily reports for all our servers. It's been running fine until we just hit a "magic" numbers of how many servers we monitor. The email sent is in xml format, including 3 .png images per server, so I guess we just passed 250 in total images, which are considered attachments. How can I up the number of allowed attachments in Exchange? Can't find this setting anywhere...! TIA!! / Per Wouldn't it be better to put that stuff up on a web page? I've never heard of such a limit; you must really be pushing the envelope. You...

get a list of file in a directory
Hi. what would be the best way to return a list of files in a directory. I know in VB you could use the dir function, but what should i use in MFC. Doen anyone know of a class available where I could say return all the file in a certain directory and its sub directories Regards Dylan Take a look at the CFileFind MFC class. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Dylan Franklin" <dyl2000@lineone.net> wrote in message news:eHHBr0MxDHA.2436@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi. > > what would be the best way to return a list of files i...

Visio File Summary Dialog Box is showing wrong file name and size
Hi all, I am using Visio 2003 ActiveX Control in my application using VB.NET 2005. I am calling "visCmdFileSummaryInfoDlg" Command to open File Summary Dialog Box. Dialog Box is open successfully but it always showing Template file size instead of open file size in General Tab. The information it shows is: Type: Microsoft Visio Drawing Location: Size :(928 bytes) Based on: Template - ValueStreamMap.vst Can any one let me know about any property or way so that it shows correct file size? Thanks Asif Can we assume that the new drawing has been saved to disk before you call th...

2 mirror files with :1 and :2
Not sure how, but have 1 excel file, lets call it FILEA.xls and when I open it, it opens a FILEA:1 and a FILEA:2 workbook. Any change made to FILEA:1 gets repeated in FILEA:2 and vice versa. Looks like some sort of mirroring, or changes being tracked, but track changes is turned off. Any help is appreciated! Hi you've opened two windows of the same workbook (from the window /new window menu) - just close one and then save - this should solve the problem Cheers JulieD "DJR" <DJR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F0F6BDF5-9DC2-486E-947C-ABBB6C4544...

reminders without outlook being open
How can I get reminders and 'new email' indications without Outlook being open? Ideally, when my computer starts up, I'd like whatever service is necessary to accomplish this to start automatically. Thanks! Jesse Aufiero wrote: > How can I get reminders and 'new email' indications without Outlook being > open? Ideally, when my computer starts up, I'd like whatever service is > necessary to accomplish this to start automatically. > > Thanks! > > You can't. The only way (and this only works for email) is to use a third-party email check...

excel opens under task bar
hi, I find that excel always opens under the taskbar. is there some way to 'reset' the opening position to the screen dimensions + taskbar size so it opens below ? it seems to do this on XP pro and 98 SE from time to time. thanks, kd ...