Word saves document as .docx AND folder with weird stuff in it

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

The folder has items in it like: <br>
word (older) <br>
docProps (folder) <br>
[Content_Types].xml (file) <br>
_rels (folder) <br><br>The document still opens if I put the related folder in the trash, but I prefer to just have a document saved.  When I save a document as a .doc, it does not create the accompanying folder.  I had this problem before and when I trashed the folder the document wouldn't open.  Fortunately this is not the case.  I have the latest version of Office/Word.  I'm rnning OSX 10.5.8.  I want to resolve this problem before installing Snow Leopard.  Can anyone out there help me?
0
clayhalo

OXML files are like mini web sites which encompass the document itself along
with a number of supporting files. All are essentially wrapped together as a
zipped/stuffed file. However, that should be totally transparent to the
user... IOW, that file normally should never be separated into its various
components, & doing so will most likely render the actual document file
useless, especially if it is transmitted to another location. The bottom
line is that the .docx (or any OXML) file should appear as a single document
icon as has traditionally been the case & should not be unzipped.

I'm guessing that you have a less-than-current version StuffIt & that it's
Preferences are set to 'Automatically unstuff' files saved in a certain
location -- most likely your Desktop. Further, you're saving your files to
that location, where they are immediately being ripped apart. If my guess is
correct you need to address the problem immediately by doing any (preferably
*all*) of the following;

1- Get StuffIt updated - recent versions have been trained to not do this,
2- Change the StuffIt pref to a different, specified folder or turn the
'auto' feature off altogether,
3- Get in the habit of saving your files to folders YOU create - preferably
within the Documents folder - rather than dumping them to the Desktop.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 4/30/10 12:26 AM, in article 59bb7b3e.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"clayhalo@officeformac.com" <clayhalo@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel The
> folder has items in it like:
> word (older)
> docProps (folder)
> [Content_Types].xml (file)
> _rels (folder)
>
> The document still opens if I put the related folder in the trash, but I
> prefer to just have a document saved.  When I save a document as a .doc, it
> does not create the accompanying folder.  I had this problem before and when I
> trashed the folder the document wouldn't open.  Fortunately this is not the
> case.  I have the latest version of Office/Word.  I'm rnning OSX 10.5.8.  I
> want to resolve this problem before installing Snow Leopard.  Can anyone out
> there help me?

0
CyberTaz
4/30/2010 10:57:36 AM
All I have is  Stuffit Expander 13.0.3, not standard Stuffit.  &quot;Allow for Version Tracker&quot; in the Stuffit Expander is checked in the file menu, but cannot find anything like &quot;Check for Updates&quot;  Fortunately, the .docx file in question opens even after throwing the extra folder in the trash and deleting the trash.  But I dont like the fact that Word is doing this!
0
clayhalo
4/30/2010 11:35:50 AM
BOB JONES, you are amazing!   <br><br>I went into Stuffit Expander prefs and unchecked &quot;Automatically Unstuff&quot;, After doing that,  I could not recreate the problem, even when saving the document to the Desktop! Sometimes I need to save to my desktop--which by the way is very tidy with only 2 items on it, one of which is my Macintosh HD, so I'm not one of those people who keeps 87,000 things on my desktop! <br><br>At any rate,  I think the issue is resolved. Wow!  Thanks a million!  You're the bestest!
0
clayhalo
4/30/2010 11:57:09 AM
No problem - glad to help... But I'd still suggest that you create a folder
on the Desktop & save to it or put the folder elsewhere with an Alias of it
on the Desktop. The Desktop is not a folder & OS X treats it differently.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 4/30/10 7:57 AM, in article 59bb7b3e.2@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"clayhalo@officeformac.com" <clayhalo@officeformac.com> wrote:

> BOB JONES, you are amazing!
>
> I went into Stuffit Expander prefs and unchecked "Automatically Unstuff",
> After doing that,  I could not recreate the problem, even when saving the
> document to the Desktop! Sometimes I need to save to my desktop--which by the
> way is very tidy with only 2 items on it, one of which is my Macintosh HD, so
> I'm not one of those people who keeps 87,000 things on my desktop!
>
> At any rate,  I think the issue is resolved. Wow!  Thanks a million!  You're
> the bestest!

0
CyberTaz
5/1/2010 10:58:37 AM
> I'd still suggest that you create a folder on the Desktop &amp; save to it or put the folder elsewhere with an Alias of it on the Desktop. The Desktop is not a folder &amp; OS X treats it differently.>  <br><br>Got it!  Thanks!
0
clayhalo

Uninstalled Word 2004 test drive
I installed the "Test Drive" version of Microsoft Word 2004 on my ibook, G2, 500 mhz, machine. I am running Panther. After trying it for a couple days and becoming very frustrated with the program I followed all directions to remove the program ... I removed only the 2004 version. After uninstalling I could not automatically open any of my word documents. I never "created" any using the test drive, but I can�t open any of my documents created on my Word X version. Trying to open these documents I received an error message: "The operation could not be completed....

Word could not load the e-mail envelope
Word could not load the e-mail envelope. This could be caused by a network connection problem or a problem with your Office installation. Trying to send email from within MS word It used to work, but now is broken. Client: WinXP, Word XP & Outlook 2003 Server: Exchange 2003 David Lewis wrote: > Word could not load the e-mail envelope. This could be caused by a > network connection problem or a problem with your Office installation. > > Trying to send email from within MS word > It used to work, but now is broken. > Client: WinXP, Word XP & Outlook 2003 > Serve...

Microsoft Great Plains SDK Documentation.
Any idea where i can find Microsoft Great Plains SDK Documentation.(We dont have Microsoft Great Plains License). Thanks Nath Nath -- If you have a Universal subscription to MSDN you are able to download the SDK information for Microsoft Great Plains. -- Kirsten Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Nath" <Nath@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BAB062FF-8C3D-42F8-BA00-0F83A95D5B64@microsoft.com... &g...

Lock-Protect documents
Excel 2002 sp2 How do you protect cells from being edited? I need to lock/protect all but 4 cells from being edited on a worksheet. I go into the 'format cells' properties of the 4 cells and 'unlock' them, and go into the 'format cells' properties of the rest and lock them. Then I go to tools, protection, protect sheet, I add a password and check only 'unlocked cells'. This isn't doing it, I can still edit the sheet, I emailed it to someone else and he can edit the sheet. What am I doing wrong? Thank you! You could prompt for a password using an in...

seperate accounts to seperate folders?
Hi I just had a quick question... I am currently using Outlook 2003, and I have 2 pop3 email accounts se up in my outlook.....one of them is my personal company email and th other is the general comapny email address (which i am responsible fo checking). What i am trying to find out how to do is, is it possibl to have the general company email messages go directly to a seperat folder besides the inbox? I still want my personal company email t come to the Inbox folder, but i want the general company email to go t a folder called "SCS." Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank...

Deleted items folder in o2k3
The big boss refuses to empty or archive his deleted items, now holding some 25,000 messages and approaching 3 gigs in size for the deleted items folder alone. Does Outlook treat messages in the deleted items folder any differently than messages in other folders? Would it be better for him to never delete messages since he doesn't really want to delete them? It would be better to not delete them since Deleted Items... is for things you want to get rid of. "Wowbagger" <none> wrote in message news:uKyAPby2GHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > The big boss refuses ...

retrieving folders.old file

copy does not work in word 2003

Public folders #9
I'm looking for a tool or a methode that can write all the properties of the public folders to a file Now I'm doing ik manual, but it isn time-consuming Can anyone help m thanks "cisca" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm looking for a tool or a methode that can write all the properties of the public folders to a file. >Now I'm doing ik manual, but it isn time-consuming. >Can anyone help me PFADMIN or PFINFO can do this. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm ...

Replicating folders
I am having a strange issue with tasks replicating for no apparent reason. Outlook 2002 on Windows XP. Anyone run across something like this before? Deleted 34 blank tasks and the next day there were 14 new ones. ...

Duplicate personal folders problem
Hello all, I have a problem with Outlook 2003 and I hope someone can help me resolve it I imported a PST file from Outlook XP that was on a different machine, and now I have two versions of Personal Folders in my All Mail Folders list. They both have Deleted Items, Drafts, Inbox, Junk E-mail, Outbox, Sent Items and Search Folders in. One of them has an icon of a piece of paper with a clock to the top left and a house to the top right. The other one has an icon like a stack of files (like from a filing cabinet) They are clearly referencing the same thing, as the Deleted Items both have al...

Save Outlook attachments to PC folder automatically
Hi All, I am an absolute newbie to Outlook programming who has been entrusted with the task of figuring out how to get Outlook to dump attachments to emails sent in by certain users to a specified folder on the PC without having to do it manually. I could not get Rules Wizard to do this. Any pointers on how to go about this is really appreciated. Thanks, Rahul Hi, I found the soluton at a website and leave the link for those who might be interested, http://www.outlookvba.com/examples/code/saveattachmentsimp ..htm Rahul >-----Original Message----- >Hi All, > >I am a...

Inbound email being processed as folder under Inbox
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I got a database daemon error, and Entourage forced me to rebuild the database. <br><br>Once the database was rebuilt, I relaunched Entourage and my new messages were processed as folders with a .EML extension under the Inbox. If you click on them, there is no content in the folder. Entourage has also stopped receiving new mail messages entirely. <br><br>While my database was being rebuilt, I accessed my Exchange account via both Webmail and an Outlook client on Window...

Duplicate Public folders
I am struggling to get all my public folders replicated on both of my servers. The Status seems to be either "local Modified" or "both modified" I then discovered that MOST of my public folders viewed when I clicked on "View System Folders" did not have a listed replica on the other server. So I added a replica for each System Folder. Now I seem to have duplicates of some of these folder listed in the Public folders list of one of my servers. Can someone tell me where I can find a lits of folders that _should_ be replicated and which should not? Many tha...

Link to Page when saving to web
Hi, I have some drawings that have several shapes with "Go to page on double-click" behavior. How can I keep this functionality when saving as a web page? Thanks ...

Won't save office applications, appcrash
Help I cant save documents , excel etc in office 2007 on vista laptop. I have tried open office but this suffers the same problem. Also tried uninstalling and reinstalling office but no change. see below for word report, in excel the fault module was given as PROPSYS.dll Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: WINWORD.EXE Application Version: 12.0.4518.1014 Application Timestamp: 45428028 Fault Module Name: unknown Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000 Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Offset: 00000001 ...

Account Balance Weirdness
Me bad boy. Haven't balanced my checking account since March 2004. But everything through March had been balanced/reconciled. Now I go in with my April 2004 bank statement to start balancing April 04 and find the opening balance is too high by about $9,000! I have transactions going all the way back to the early 1990's, but 91-93 looks weird. A $150 monthly transfer is the only transaction in the register for those years. I don't recall seeing that before, but it's been years since I looked that far back. At this point my choices seem to be: 1. Enter a correcting balanc...

Howto save an edited xml doc w/MSXML
The following script modifies the content of my xml file: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dim nodeSel, nodeVal, index Dim name : name = "//ROOT/first_level/second_level/third_level" Dim xmlfile : xmlfile = "temp.xml" Dim value : value = "false" Dim xDoc Set xDoc = CreateObject( "MSXML.DOMDocument" ) index = 0 If xDoc.Load( xmlfile ) Then Set nodeSel = xDoc.selectSingleNode( name ) 'WScript.Echo "Found node", nodeS...

Stop changing of languages in Word 2003 when typing letter.
While typing a letter in Word 2003 it changed from English to what looked like Arabic language. I have rebooted 3 times and started over and still the same occurs. I even copied what I had in English to an email in Yahoo and sent it to myself and rebooted. Came back to that same email and copied it to a new email that I started to myself, and when I started typing it would only type in what looked like Arabic language. This happened to me once a couple of weeks ago, but never occurred again till now. What do I do? In the Language dialog box, turn off the option to autom...

Outlook 2003 Imap Folder Disappears
The IMAP mail folder in my Outlook 2003 program keeps disappearing. If I recreate the mail profile settings, everything's okay. Have to do this 2-3/day. Not sure why this happens. Any assistance is appreciated. ...