Word and Excel Document produced in Windows 7

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

Transferring Word and Excel docs created in Windows 7 to the Mac by CD will not open in Word 8 ! Should they and if so, how or won't they?
0
savvy

Windows 7 is an operating system, not a version of MS Office. It has nothing
to do with the probable cause. Assuming you mean Word 2008 (which is Word
12) it should be able to open the files created by most any version of
Windows Word going back to Office 97.

It sounds like you're trying to open the files directly from the CD, which
is where the problem is. Copy the files to your HD & see if you don't have
better luck. CDs are not replacements of floppy disks. They are a completely
different technology and are not usable for editable 'working' files. It's
best to use them only for long term storage of archives & backups. A better,
more functional & more economical method of transporting files from one
system to another is a USB memory stick. Even with those, copy the files
to/from the system's HD & work from there. Don't attempt to save directly to
or open files directly from the stick.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/7/10 11:26 PM, in article 59bb44e8.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"savvy@officeformac.com" <savvy@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel
> Transferring Word and Excel docs created in Windows 7 to the Mac by CD will
> not open in Word 8 ! Should they and if so, how or won't they?

0
CyberTaz
3/8/2010 6:06:36 AM
Should work but insufficient info in your posting to help.

1. maybe the cd is flawed
2. maybe you tried to open the file from the cd (I would think that
would not work since Word on Mac will expect to be able to write back to
the file)
3. you don't give any indication of the symptom of why it does not work.

Try copying the files from the cd to the Mac's hard disk and then open
those copies.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 08/03/10 04:26, savvy@officeformac.com wrote:
> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel
> Transferring Word and Excel docs created in Windows 7 to the Mac by CD
> will not open in Word 8 ! Should they and if so, how or won't they?
0
Rob
3/8/2010 8:14:52 AM
Works fine here.

What file extension do they have?

What is in the documents?

Have they been protected or encrypted?  Word:Mac can't handle the
high-strength encryption Windows Word uses, so those won't open.

Cheers

On 8/03/10 3:26 PM, in article 59bb44e8.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"savvy@officeformac.com" <savvy@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel
> Transferring Word and Excel docs created in Windows 7 to the Mac by CD will
> not open in Word 8 ! Should they and if so, how or won't they?

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

0
John
3/8/2010 8:25:09 AM
0
savvy
3/8/2010 8:22:38 PM
You do not save "files" to "applications".  You may need to "associate" the
file name extensions with applications so that they open in the correct
application, but in your case, the fact that the files open in the correct
application shows that this has already been done.

On a modern Mac, all files should be in the Documents folder, and these
files should be in a folder within Documents, named with a name you will
remember when you next want them :-)

So yes: leave them in a folder, make sure that folder is within your
Documents folder so it gets backed up in your normal backup run.

If you're not running a backup, now's the time to start. The only thing we
can tell you for sure is that one day (maybe tomorrow) your hard drive will
fail.  When it does, you will lose the lot.

If you don't know where to start, look up Time Machine in the Mac Help.

Hope this helps

On 9/03/10 7:22 AM, in article 59bb44e8.2@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"savvy@officeformac.com" <savvy@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your help.
>
> To be more precise -I've saved the CD to a new folder on Desktop and yes after
> double clicking any of the documents in it, they do open - Word docs in Word
> and Excel in Excel!
>
> How do I save them to the Word and Excel programmes or do I have to leave them
> in the folder and always open them from there?

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.
Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410; mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John

Are there any household budget templates available in Excel?
Are there any household budget templates available in Excel? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/default.aspx Do a search near the top for "Budget," and you should find a few of them. Looks like "Personal budget" is the most popular, followed by "Family monthly budget." (based on votes) HTH Dana DeLouis "nevinnh" <nevinnh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C0B084E-954F-4CAF-8ACB-AF33C6F3F097@microsoft.com... > Are there any household budget templates available in Excel? Go to microsoft template site, on the sear...

Access to items in a reminder window
I wrote a Application_Reminder Routine that sends an email if the tasks that fires this event has a certain subject. When i have two or more Tasks at the same day the reminder pops up and lists the different Items inside this reminder window. So far, so good, but how could my code get access to the different items that appear in the reminder window? ...

Payable Trxs Inquiry Window by Vendor
When I look up this one Vendor and do an Inquiry I'm getting the below msg. "the stored procedure createSQLTMP Table returned the following results: DBMS: 2627, Microsoft Dynamics GP" We are using SQL 2005 and GP 9. The problem is when I go to look up the vendor docs I don't see an invoice but I see the payment in WORK status. I can see the vendor invoice when I look up by doc number. I have ran check links and still receiving the same msg. Thanks in advance. Ok, I fixed my own problem I deleted the Payment in Work Status and ran check link and it recreated the payment in ...

Symbols in Excel 2007 Chart
Dear Group, Hello. I would like to use the greek mu symbol in an Excel 2007 histogram. I am able to convert the "m" into the proper "mu" symbol in the spreadsheet itself but this is not reflected in the resulting graphic. I need for my X axis label to be represented by the proper greek letter, not m. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Thank you in advance. John McLaughlin In many fonts, holding Alt while typing 0181 on the numeric keypad produces �. This means you don't have to change the font for some of the characters in a text element (and many tex...

=?windows-1252?Q?Student_=96_why_use_Landed_Costs=3F?=
I=92m a student studying GP and accounting in general and I wish to understand why use Landed Costs. I know LC incorporates all the extra costs of obtaining the goods into the cost of inventory but why bother? So your COGS is higher resulting in a lower gross margin. But if you expense the costs of obtaining the goods, it should still result in the same bottom line no? And isn=92t it the bottom line that counts? TIA JDM Good points all Jimmy. Use of Landed Cost is for the more anal of us bean counters :). Seriously though, some companies prefer not to recognize the cost until the period ...

Any Help documentation for Exchange 2007?
E2k7' help button gives 'Cannot display Help' Technical details: HC not found. (MS.OSSADMIN.manifest , 1033) Did I miss something? Not all the help is completed in the Beta 2 release. "Prem" <premmetje@zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:1161634519.758601.285030@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > E2k7' help button gives 'Cannot display Help' Technical details: HC not > found. (MS.OSSADMIN.manifest , 1033) > Did I miss something? > ...

Attaching CFrameWnd object to existing non-MFC window
Hello! I need to attach CFrameWnd-derived object to existing non-MFC window. The window has quite complex a window procedure. My CFrameWnd-derived object has its own MFC message map which I need to use. So the question is now how to combine the window procedures of both CFrameWnd-derived class and the original window. I subclassed the original non-MFC window, and overloaded the DefWindowProc with sth like: LRESULT CMainFrame::DefWindowProc( UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam ) { if(m_pfnSuper && m_hWnd) { return(( WNDPROC(m_pfnSuper))(m_hWnd,message,wParam,l...

Windows XP 64 - Blue Screen of Death
Hi all, So I have set Event logging with small memory dump in XP 64 bit, in the System Properties/Startup & Recovery, in order to diagnose a BSOD in win32k.sys, page_fault_in_nonpaged_area. Unfortunately, when my PC blue screens, no event is written, and no minidump appears in the minidump folder. I have tried this both with letting the PC reboot automatically, and without. How do I ensure a minidump appears, and a system log entry is written? Cheers Vandervecken PS Crossposted purposely in XP 64 bit discussion, and accidentally in XP Media Center. Did this start happenin...

Publisher Webpage
I have created a web page using Publisher 2003 on our local server. When I upload the web page to an offsite data bank all of my hyperlinks pointing to PowerPoint presentation and Word Documents still point to our local server. Is there an easy way to have the hyperlinks point to the my files on the offsite data bank? -- ckaras Reference: Including external files in a Publisher web http://msmvps.com/blogs/dbartosik/archive/2006/01/07/80561.aspx DavidF "ckaras" <ckaras@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28BD64D5-AAA1-4842-86EF-403C41D2B3B9@microsoft.com....

Excel 2000 tries to open unrecognizable file on startup
Hi, For the last couple of weeks, when I first open Excel I get a Microsoft Excel Error pop-up window that says "This file is not in a recognizable format....". I am uncertain what file it is trying to open, but when I click "cancel" it opens books1.xls. Which I usually ignore and go into "open file" and pick my excel file. Any idea what is going on? Win98 Excel 2000 -- Thanks - Jeff Jeff I suspect one of two things 1) Excel opens all files in it xlStart folder. Search for this and remove anything without an .xls, xlt extension 2) If you go to Tools&g...

"10th" on Excel
For the past few weeks, any time I enter the number "10", the Excel program automatically adds "th" making it "10th". This is also occuring on the Word program. I don't remember making any changes to either toolbar- HELP!!! I can think of one possibility, (and don't ask me how it may hav happened), but look in Tools - Autocorrect and see if you can find "10 shown as being replaced by "10th". My program once started replacin all lower case "p"s with upper case and I know it was nothing I did. If that isn't the problem, I ca...

combine multiple excel file in to one excel file and multiple worksheet
I am wanting to use the following code to combine worksheets from multiple files. However I would like to be able to select folder which contains files in a more automated way that having to change the code every time, and also copy all worksheets with links and formulas removed. Any help on this is greatly appreciated as I have limited code knowledge. Sub Copy_them() > Dim TargetWkbk As Workbook > Dim mrgWkbk As Workbook > Dim i As Long > Dim Wks As Worksheet > Dim fName As String > Application.ScreenUpdating = False > Set TargetWkbk ...

Automatic backup in excel with copy to hard drive and to cd-rw
How do I get Excel to either automatically backup to hard drive and cd-rw, or even when I hit save icon, go ahead and save to hard drive and cd-rw. I already have auto save setup but backup file goes to same hard drive folder as origianl copy. Kind of defeats the purpose of a system crash and wanting a copy on removable media. Thanks for your help! This Word macro auto-saves a copy to a floppy drive. You should be able to edit it to save to the hard drive and CDRW, too. You'll also change some stuff to make it an Excel macro: http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=203 *...

MDI App new Doc/View window: support from Developer?
Hello NG, I want to add a new Doc/View Window with menu in my MDI app. I use MS Developer 2003, Version 7.1. Up to now, I wrote all classes and resources alone, i.e. CNewDoc, CNewFrame, CNewView, IDR_NEW_VIEW_TMPL, IDD_NEWVIEW, ... And in CMyApp::InitInstance AddDocTemplate(...). Is this the only way? Or can the developer studio add all that stuff the same way as it does when I start a new MDI project? Thanks for hints, Guido You just need to do it manually like you are doing: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/0dyc0e53(VS.80).aspx Tom "Guido Franz...

Why is Paste in Word 2007 Shift-Insert?
The keyboard shortcut in Excel and elsewhere remains Ctrl-V, but in WORD in the version of Office 2007 on my new PC it is the less convenient Shift-Insert. Why? Ctrl+V should still work in any version of Word. If not, you can reassign it. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "RBM-TAX" <RBM-TAX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F46FDDBF-B24F-4283-9989-F7CE67B41E7C@microsoft.com... > The keyboard shortcut in Excel and elsewhere remains Ctrl-V, but in WORD > in > the...

Word 2003 VBA to limit options in Inputbox to those in drop down
I have the following macro which works great to make a form drop down list mandatory to fill in: Sub MustFillIn() If ActiveDocument.FormFields("nameDD").Result = "ENTER NAME" Then Do sInFld = InputBox("This field must be filled in, fill in below.") Loop While sInFld = "" ActiveDocument.FormFields("nameDD").Result = sInFld End If End Sub However, the user is free to enter whatever they want in the input box, although the field this fires from if nothing is entered is a drop down- is there any way to ...

Why does Excel ask to save when no changes were made?
This does not pertain to a new document. I open an existing document just to look at it, and when I go to close it, Excel asks if I want to save the document. No changes were made, so it shouldn't have to be saved. It's annoying. Mike One explanation could be that there is a time formula in a cell that has updated on openeing so the worksheet will have changed. -- Mike When competing hypotheses are equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. Occam''''s razor (Abbrev) &...

My excel file is too large (5 mb) when it shouldn't be, why?
I have an excel file has ballooned in size for some reason. I have tried to copy all the cells and then used "paste special" to paste just the values and the file size doesn't reduce. I am copying numbers from an investment website into my spreadsheet and there don't appear to be any issues with the pasted cells but I suspect it is causing the file size expansion and very slow performance. I then deleted all the cells around by spreadsheet and it didn't help at all. All suggestions as to how I can fix this problem appreciated. Kenview If you do a Ctl-End, does...

Excel & Word auto selection from menus
Ok, I'm a keyboarder, not a mouser. I use quick commands like the letter code or arrows on menus to speed along without the grab, aquire, click business. Excel & Word seem to be periodically (not always) automatically selecting menu items based on prior selections if I use arrow selectors. How do I turn this off? I get no help from "Help". Please reply to my e-mail address: legreenwood@hotmail.com. Thanks! Would love to get rid of this nuisance & keep speeding along. ...

windows mail
My windows mail is not working, it will not let me send out any messages and this just started today, I was able to send out messages a couple days ago. Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what the problem may be? Thanks Diana, This newsgroup deals with Microosft Acccess, a relational database application. Your best bet is to try a newsgroup that deals with your particular email program. (Outlook? OutlookExpress?) -- hth Al Campagna Microsoft Access MVP http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html "Find a job that you love... and you'll neve...

Creating Excel Invoice Template
I have been trying to customize a downloaded template but was frustrated so trying to create my own invoice. My question is once I input the formulas how do I keep/save them ???? when I enter the first calcualtions all is well, but if I go back and edit in the cell where the formula resides I lose the formula ??? I am a relative newbie to this so any help will be greatly appreciated. I have searched this site and cannot find a link to creating an invoice worksheet. Sasha ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions wit...

Sending Email in Excel
1.) I have a formula in a cell that when clicked, sends an email to recipients in the formula. I have pasted the formula below. What I want to do is put the date after the "End of Day: " part. However, when you click on the link, it gives the serial representation of the date if you use today(). Is there anyway to format so that is shows the date formatted correctly? In cell A1: =HYPERLINK(CONCATENATE("mailto:Person1@abc.com; Person2@abc.com?Subject=End of Day - ",A34,": Acc: ",AB1," for ","$",AA1," | Feats: ",'Enh Feats'...

how to produce a csv file from a unicode-saved text file
Friends, I have an excel spreadsheet (version 2000) that has Japanese characters. I would like to save it as unicode text file so that I can FTP it to my unix box for loading into an Oracle database. When I save the file as unicode text, it properly preserves the characters, but using whitespace as the delimiters. I would like to change this to a csv, but when I save as the file as CSV, the Japanese characters turn into set of ?? symbols. Is there any way around to create the unicode text file with delimiters other than whitespace? Thanks for any ideas. - Sal ...

Do no allow GP windows in 10.0 to act as separate applications
Do no allow GP windows in 10.0 to act as separate applications. This is a very annoying change in version 10.0. If I open 5 windows in GP and then go to a different application such as Outlook, when I go back to GP, I have to click on every one of my windows in the task bar in order to have them show again. It's a lot of wasted mouse clicks. I would expect that when I click on the main application in my task bar, all of my windows I had open would also be showing. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most v...

List of fonts used in a Word doc -- the easy way
The VBA scripts that I have found all implement a character-by-character scan throu= gh the document, which can take a long time in later versions of Word. You can blame Wor= d's "formatting" feature for the slowdown. There=E2=80=99s a faster way: Save the document in .rtf format, then open the .rtf fi= le in a text editor such as notepad.exe. The fonts are listed in a font table ( {\fonttb= l ) located at the very beginning of the file. Each font entry looks something like thi= s: = {\f0\froman\fprq2\fcharset0 Times New Roman;} Any entries with a character set ...