Word 2010: cannot save normal.dotm file?

Using the Word 2010 beta on Win7.  I cannot save my Normal.dotm file - at
least not usefully. I can open the file, edit it, add macros to it, whatever,
and it will save (in the folder directory, the .dotm file will show a change
in file size). But if I close Word, or if I open a new document in Word, the
Normal.dotm file is reset to the default, losing any changes I've made.

I can save and use other .dotm templates; but not the default Normal.dotm
template.

You've posted to the Mac Word group, so there isn't much help available here
on a Beta version for Windows. Try the Windows Office groups here:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx

Good Luck |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/28/10 8:59 AM, in article
159068B8-E372-4DA5-9D99-A393CC6CA14B@microsoft.com, "ERK"
<ERK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Using the Word 2010 beta on Win7.  I cannot save my Normal.dotm file - at
> least not usefully. I can open the file, edit it, add macros to it, whatever,
> and it will save (in the folder directory, the .dotm file will show a change
> in file size). But if I close Word, or if I open a new document in Word, the
> Normal.dotm file is reset to the default, losing any changes I've made.
>
> I can save and use other .dotm templates; but not the default Normal.dotm
> template.

0
CyberTaz

Word hangs when I try to edit text

Prohibited File Type?
If someone sends me a picture file as an attachment to an email message I get shown "Prohibited File Type..file deactivated". I can see the pic in the body of the message but can't open and view the picture file by clicking it? Similarly if I try to attach a picture file to a message I send that also gives the same warning both before sending and to the recipient? The files In question are jpg files. Anyone advise please? Tools/Safety/Options/Security Uncheck - do not allow attachments to be save or opened - block images and other external content Check (op...

.xls files opening in IE rather than xls
When opening files downloaded from the web, they are opened in an IE windo rather than the appropriate Office 2003 tool (word, excel, etc.) From a previous post: There's a setting in Windows that you can change. In win98, I can do this: Start Windows Explorer View|Folder Options File Types Tab scroll down to MS Excel Worksheet Select it click the edit button There's an option to "browse in same window". Uncheck it. That's where you can toggle the "confirm open after download", too. How to Configure Internet Explorer to Open Office Documents in the Appr...

Hidden Folders and Files
I am using Windows XP pro, 2nd, service pack. For some reason, I am now unable to see my hidden files and folders, even though I was able to a short while ago. I don't know what I have done to change this. Under folder options I have selected "Display the contents of system folders" and "Show hidden files and folders" However they are not visible. Any advise? Thanks. leasider<SPAM> wrote: > I am using Windows XP pro, 2nd, service pack. > > For some reason, I am now unable to see my hidden files and folders, > even though I was able to a short ...

"Do you want to save" when Excel OPENS
I understand about the "Do you want to save" message when you close Excel, even if you didn't make any changes: Excel doesn't distinguish between real changes and the recalculation of volatile functions. But at work we've had a user claim that he gets the message when he OPENS Excel when our add-in is checked (having been checked when Excel was open before). Specifically, it asks "Do you want to save changes to Sheet 2?" I'm sure it's not our add-in as such, since no one has ever report this before. But it may be some interaction between our add-...

How do I install when "file ZF561407.CAB can not be found"

Excel 2000: File >> New menu command causes application crash
This is occurring on only one machine on a network! After saving an emailed Excel template to a standard network location for Microsoft templates, when selecting File >> New this installation of Excel 2000 crashes ("Excel not responding" on Close program dialog). On other machines there is no problem. Have "repaired" Microsoft Office using that option from the installation CD-ROM, have removed Excel from Office installation, rebooted and reinstalled Excel. No change on the problem behaviour. Everything else appears to be working just fine in this copy of Excel. We ...

Merging mass e-mails between word and Outlook (XP)
When sending a mass e-mail from Word to Outlook, a message appears stating that 'another program is trying to automatically send e-mails' You choose 'Allow access for 10 minutes' and click OK Then, a similiar message appears for each of the e-mails being sent. You need to click Yes for each of the e- mails. I have tried adjusting security levels with no luck. Any ideas?? ...

Error in posting 4 times! Frustrating problems with html signatures and styles (normal.dot)
I just learned that the message posted 4 times; I thought I had canceled the previous posts where I had not filled in the right newsgroups.... On my machine, it only shows posted 1 time; but I guess that the news server does not support cancellations of posts. Sorry about that...... ...

a larger window to view the files
Hello, When I click on the "FILE, OPEN" menu items I get a dialogue box showing a list of all the Excel files on my directory and then I can chose the file I want to open. Often, before I select which file I want, I need to resize the columns (Name, Size, type, modified) within that dialogue box to look at various properties and it would be ever so useful if there existed a Macro or utility that presented the list of files in a somewhat larger window so that I did not need to move the column widths each time. Needless to say, this does not just apply to Excel but that is a prog I ...

Unable to import Quicken file to Money
I am trying to import my QUICKEN 2004 data file (QDATA.QDF) into Money 2004. I followed all the directions and validated the QDATA file first, but NOTHING imports. All I get are messages that indicate "Your Quicken file contained invalid transaction types". The only transactions I have are account (Checking and Savings) transactions - debits and credits. I have tried this a number of times, and downloaded all updates to Money, but nothing ever converts. Can anyone help? You can not import Q2004 into M2004. You'll have to wait a few more days and then import it into M2...

outlook cant find file MSOE.DLL
when i try to open outlook an error msg comes up - cannot locate file MSOE.DLL. when i went to start, find, folder/files and searched for it i found it. how can i fix the problem please help. If you're using XP, it should be in the Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\Outlook Express. This implies that it associates with the user who's logged into the system. Are you logging in as User Name in the above example? If not, that's why it can't find it. Further help is available in MSOE.TXT in the same sub-directory. Good Luck! <dinky_devil@hotmail.com> wrote...

get a list of file in a directory
Hi. what would be the best way to return a list of files in a directory. I know in VB you could use the dir function, but what should i use in MFC. Doen anyone know of a class available where I could say return all the file in a certain directory and its sub directories Regards Dylan Take a look at the CFileFind MFC class. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Dylan Franklin" <dyl2000@lineone.net> wrote in message news:eHHBr0MxDHA.2436@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi. > > what would be the best way to return a list of files i...

Excel 2007 exits without asking if I want to save
Hi All, I just started using Excel 2007 recently. I notice it exits when I keys in Alt-F4, without confirming if I want to save, even if I had made changes to the workbook. Is there an option which I can set and make Excel 2007 verify if the user, wants to save before exiting? This is the default in earlier Excel versions. Thanks for help. have you recently run a macro in which you forgot to turn on Application.DisplayAlerts =3D True? susan On Nov 24, 5:25=A0am, ch <c...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi All, > > I just started using Excel 200...

Visio File Summary Dialog Box is showing wrong file name and size
Hi all, I am using Visio 2003 ActiveX Control in my application using VB.NET 2005. I am calling "visCmdFileSummaryInfoDlg" Command to open File Summary Dialog Box. Dialog Box is open successfully but it always showing Template file size instead of open file size in General Tab. The information it shows is: Type: Microsoft Visio Drawing Location: Size :(928 bytes) Based on: Template - ValueStreamMap.vst Can any one let me know about any property or way so that it shows correct file size? Thanks Asif Can we assume that the new drawing has been saved to disk before you call th...

2 mirror files with :1 and :2
Not sure how, but have 1 excel file, lets call it FILEA.xls and when I open it, it opens a FILEA:1 and a FILEA:2 workbook. Any change made to FILEA:1 gets repeated in FILEA:2 and vice versa. Looks like some sort of mirroring, or changes being tracked, but track changes is turned off. Any help is appreciated! Hi you've opened two windows of the same workbook (from the window /new window menu) - just close one and then save - this should solve the problem Cheers JulieD "DJR" <DJR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F0F6BDF5-9DC2-486E-947C-ABBB6C4544...

Creating a Word document from an ASP.NET application
Hello, I just want to know if there is an existing DLL or Web Compasant that can be used from an ASP.NET application (located on a IIS server without Office on it) to create a Word document based on a template (.dot) that is used only for the bookmarks properties (replaced momentarily with a personnal values). Best Regards, On Jun 21, 1:34=A0pm, "Bruno MAIGNAN" <bruno.maig...@ca-atlantica.fr> wrote: > Hello, > I just want to know if there is an existing DLL or Web Compasant that can= be > used from an ASP.NET application (located on a IIS server witho...

Signature will not save in Outlook
Please help! Signature will not save when I close Outlook and return. Any help would be great! Thanks ...

Outlook Data File Not Closing Properly
I always get the following error message when starting Outlook 2002 (running Office XP and Windows XP) : "The data file 'outlook' was not closed properly. The file is being checked for problems." I get this message everytime (whether I hibernate or shut down) when I start Outlook. This checking of the file can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes and is very frustrating. Anyone have any idea what the issue is ? This started happening just after I installed XP SP3. ...

Evey time I create a new document and save it, it defaults to template
I am using excel 2003. Evey time I create a new document and save it, it defaults to template - xlt. To create a document I just do new -> blank document. How can i fix this? thanks Tools>Options>Transition. Save Excel Files As. Change to MS Excel Workbook. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 17:54:26 -0600, "Greg" <greg@nospam.com> wrote: >I am using excel 2003. >Evey time I create a new document and save it, it defaults to template - >xlt. >To create a document I just do new -> blank document. > >How...

Incompatible file format.
Have been using Money for years and have Money Deluxe 2007 installed on both my home (Vista) machine and my notebook (XP) machine. Problem is when I go on the road and take my Money file with me, my XP machine says that the file is incompatible and was created with a newer or updated version of Money. Both machines have the same version and are both include the latest updates. What gives? Did Microsoft create something in Vista that precludes using the Money file under any other operating system? I may have to switch to Quicken or even a Linux version if they keep this up.............

OS 8.6 Office '98 no "File/Save" in Word
OS 8.6 Office '98 All of the sudden, there is no "File/Save" in Word. Not that is grayed out, it just is NOT there at all. The first time this happened, a reboot got it back, now that doesn't work. In article <cf47e17c.0409130841.490a65f9@posting.google.com>, jmorse@premier1.net (James Morse) wrote: > OS 8.6 Office '98 > > All of the sudden, there is no "File/Save" in Word. Not that is grayed > out, it just is NOT there at all. > > The first time this happened, a reboot got it back, now that doesn't > work. Choose Tools/Cus...

How to save the value in the CEdit control to a text file?
Im generating a random number to the CEdit control and now i want t save all of this value to a text file. I dont know to code it in the way of MFC. I hope whose know it can send me the soding cause im running out the time to do my project thanks You can use GetWindowText to get its contents and then use CStdioFile class to write the text. MSDN has enough documentation on this. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "TLee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F730B5D6-85F7-45D9-80D9-C43598FA47B6@microsoft.com... | Im generating a random numbe...

Looking for DPM 2010 RC SCOM 2007 Management Pack
Is there a download for this? If not, when will a Management Pack become available? Can you please mail me at praveend[at]microsoft[dot]com, we can help you on getting the MOM pack. Thanks. Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "John H" <JohnH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B3A395C3-6108-4B78-B3DC-0EDBA6EF773F@microsoft.com... > Is there a download for this? If not, when will a Management Pack become > available? We use SCOM 2007 R2, can I get access to the MP...

How to -Templates and themes in word 2004