Unable to save doc's created in OSX on Windows

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

But some of the layout is lost. <br><br>Why can't I just transfer the document in it's original format between the platforms?
0
ePocket

In article <59bb918f.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0>,
 ePocket@officeformac.com wrote:

> Version: 2008
> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
> Processor: Intel
>
> If I create a document in &quot;Office:mac2008 Business Edition&quot;
> version:12.2.4 no one else in my organisation can save the document on their
> PC's. (I save it in print layout view) <br><br>They use winNT or Win7 or
> WinVista. All with &quot;MS office Proffesional Plus 2007&quot;. <br><br>The
> only way is for them to open the document and save it as a 97-2003 doc, with
> new name. <br>
> But some of the layout is lost. <br><br>Why can't I just transfer the
> document in it's original format between the platforms?

'Cause Microsoft decided you must pay for using a Macintosh?

Seriously, if transfer between others is a key feature you require for
Office documents, why not upload them to Google Documents and share them
amongst your group.  They should be shareable in that format.  If you
are using specific features that aren't transferable between Office 2008
and 2007, then you'll have to buy Windows 7 and Office 2007 and run them
on a Windows hypervisor under MacOS X (Fusion or Parallels).  You might
luck out and be able to run Crossover which will allow you to just buy
Windows Office 2007.

Seems an expensive lesson.  Why not just set the default format to
Office 2003 and save all your MacOS documents in that format?

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

Michael
5/28/2010 10:27:08 AM
0
pjonesCET
5/28/2010 2:03:16 PM
Basically, because your File Server is badly set up.  It may not be
correctly handling the "Resource Fork" that your Mac creates.

It should, it's just a setting in the Server registry: speak to your Server
Administrator (tell him that Mac software does not use the resource fork any
longer, and he can simply discard them...)

Either that, or the permissions on your User Login to the server do not
allow other users to delete the file.  For them to be able to re-save a
file, they need to be able to delete the original.  Again, it's a server
issue.  By saving to a different file type, they are not attempting to
delete the original.

If they were to change the file name, they could save to .docx.  If they
were to switch on "Always create backup file" in their Word preferences,
they would be able to save to .docx.  Again, speak to your IT people.

I warn you not to put the file anywhere near Google Docs: that way lies
insanity and death: Google docs cannot handle .docx properly.  Similarly,
setting your default format to .doc will indeed lose data going to Office
2007, which is a .docx application.

I don't know what Phillip has been smoking, but it's not likely to be good
for him, and it's probably illegal in the state he resides in :-)  This has
nothing to do with the supposed screen resolution difference between Windows
and Mac, because THAT DOES NOT EXIST!!

Phillip, we have been trying to tell you for ten years that there is no
difference between the screen resolution of a Mac and a Windows box: both
use a variable screen resolution that the operating system determines when
it sees how big the screen is.  PLEASE stop misleading people with that
stuff, which has not applied to anything since Mac OS 8 or thereabouts.

It's 20-year-old information that is now WRONG!  :-)

The screen resolution on this Mac as I write is about 98 pixels per inch
(big screen...) but it varies depending on the magnification I set.

Yes, the shape of characters in old bit-mapped fonts will be different
between Windows and Mac fonts.  But the screen resolution is the same:
unknown, and variable, on both kinds of computer.

Hope this helps

On 28/05/10 7:53 PM, in article 59bb918f.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"ePocket@officeformac.com" <ePocket@officeformac.com> wrote:

> If I create a document in "Office:mac2008 Business Edition" version:12.2.4 no
> one else in my organisation can save the document on their PC's. (I save it in
> print layout view)
>
> They use winNT or Win7 or WinVista. All with "MS office Proffesional Plus
> 2007".
>
> The only way is for them to open the document and save it as a 97-2003 doc,
> with new name.
> But some of the layout is lost.
>
> Why can't I just transfer the document in it's original format between the
> platforms?

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_

Here is fix for Windows file problems

Accessing Windows Office Templates
There are some very nice templates at the Windows Office Template Gallery. I would like to download (mostly Word, but a few Excel) some of these templates, but the format comes out with a ".cab" extension that Office v.X doesn't understand. Is there any way to get these templates? Unfortunately, they make the Mac template archive look very weak. TIA Len Hi Len, Microsoft has a Mac template download page: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/resources/templates.aspx?pid=templates There's a link to the on-line gallery on that page. It looks like a newly re-designed gallery to m...

How do I create a sample in Excel?

Access 97 can't resize database window

Errors saving to network drive

Saving toolbar changes

unable to read file #7

About Exit and close window.
Group, I have a dialogue base application. There's an Exit button in it. Eachtime when exit the program by clicking Exit button, fun() and OnOK() executed, but if the window is close by clicking (x) on the upper-right coner, fun() will not be executed. How to make this function--fun()--executed when click (x) button on the upper-right coner? Thanks. Rather than calling your fun() from the Exit event handler, call it from the dialog closing event handler, so that no matter how it is shut down, that method is called, and so is fun(). hope that helps. Dan. "sxy7711" <sxy771...

Office installation and Windows 7

Publisher can not save file

Creating Exchange 2003 organization

Is Outlook 2000 compatiple with Windows XP Home?
It seems to be having problems if it is... something like Outlook has experience a problem and must close. I rand the compatibility wizard, but it didn't help. Can you? Hi, I have Outlook 2000 installed on my XP Home machine and it works fine. >-----Original Message----- >It seems to be having problems if it is... something like >Outlook has experience a problem and must close. I rand >the compatibility wizard, but it didn't help. Can you? >. > Rod <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > It seems to be having problems if it is... something...

Saving #5
Is there a way of speeding up saves in excel or a way to condense the size of a workbook. Jason, This link can help with the size issue... http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused Item 2d is the one you want. Regards, Jim Cone San Francisco, USA "Jason Zischke" <JasonZischke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18CCEA1F-2479-4ED9-A5F6-21B781D0F403@microsoft.com... > Is there a way of speeding up saves in excel or a way to condense the size of > a workbook. ...

Install ActiveX on Windows XP / IE8
Hi, I created a non-admin installation package to take advantage of the new IE8 features to deploy my ActiveX control. It works perfectly on Windows Vista+ but not on Windows XP (the yellow bar is never displayed). Here is the content of my INF file: [version] signature="$CHICAGO$" AdvancedINF=2.0 [Add.Code] DbCtrlEx.ocx=DbCtrlEx.ocx [Deployment] InstallScope=user [DbCtrlEx.ocx] file-win32-x86=thiscab clsid={97012969-FEFB-4F8F-A03C-67F83D139E8F} RegisterServer=yes FileVersion=1,0,0,1 RedirectToHKCU=yes If I remove the Deployment section it works...

Can't create the item #2

Saving document downloaded from email
I downloaded a word 2007 document from a windows mail email yesterday by double clicking on it and opening in word 2007. I then worked on the document and clicked "save". Today I cannot find the document on the computer, it seems that it has not saved. Can anyone explain what has gone wrong? Thanks Catherine If you use Word and Outlook 2007 this should no longer happen as the combination does not allow you to save to a temporary location With other e-mail applications, it is anyone's guess what might occur. You should never open Word attachments directly from e-m...

creating template for multiple emails
How or can one create an email template (same subject line and message)for multiple emails (approx 100's)? Needing to shorten the time it takes sending 100's of individual emails (with the same subject line and same message) to sales staff on a weekly (some times daily) basis. Company does not want sales force using other sales persons email addresses (they are contractors). Try using a Distriburtion List, send one message, it goes to all of them, or get the message ready, put your address in the TO: field, and put everyone else in the BCC: field?? That way no one can see wher...

How do I create upper/lower case letters in cells?
I have a large spreadsheet with names/addresses that are all capitalized. I want to make them upper and lower case (SMITH = Smith). What's the formula? You could create helper cells with this formula =proper(A1) "boz130" wrote: > I have a large spreadsheet with names/addresses that are all capitalized. I > want to make them upper and lower case (SMITH = Smith). What's the formula? ...

How do I save a header?
I need to permanently save a header and it will never save once I open up a new file. Any suggestions? Try a look in the Excel Help under 'Create a Template'. Saving the header in the template should mean each time you open that template the header will be there. Regards, Tom "Global10" wrote: > I need to permanently save a header and it will never save once I open up a > new file. Any suggestions? Open a new workbook. Customize as you wish including your print settings.........group the sheets before setup so's all sheets get same Heade...