Text box jumps to left of page

Word 2004

(I am relatively new to Word and am delighted to find a forum
specifically for the Mac version. There are a number of unresolved,
niggling issues I can live however they slow the workflow. I am eager
to learn.)

In the recent past, I manually converted 12,000+ recipes from
WordPerfect 7 to Word. Since Word 2004 does not have a filter for the
old files, the conversion was done on the Windows side of my Mac in
Word2003. Those files _usually_ open without protest also in 2004. One
annoyance regards text boxes. When text was highlighted and a text box
was requested for it in 2003, the box surrounded the text as it was
originally formatted, i.e. across the width of the page. When those
same files are opened in 2004, the text box has shifted and become a
large square on the left side of the page. The same is true with new
text boxes created in 2004 documents. I can stretch it out and reshape
the box once and it stays in place thereafter however it is a
nuisance.This happens 100% of the time.  Is this a 2004 bug?

Thank you.
0
gianluca

Well, it's not a "bug" :-)

Text Boxes go where you put them.  Unless you say differently, that is the
left margin of the paragraph they are anchored to.

In converted WordPerfect documents, the information needed to position the
text box is not present, so they will always end up on the left margin.  For
new ones, as you have discovered, they will go where you put them.

Generally, we would advise you that Text Boxes are not a good thing to use
in Word unless you absolutely HAVE to, because they ARE complex to manage.
Normally, you can accomplish what you need with either paragraph borders or
tables, and these are much less confusing and more reliable.

If you absolutely MUST use Text Boxes, come back and we will give you an
advanced course in how to use them.  You need to understand floating objects
and relative positioning and z-order (layers) to use Text Boxes properly.

Hope this helps

On 1/03/10 11:04 AM, in article bnvlo5doitfqs41bmq67ved45dns8sng6i@4ax.com,
"gianluca@mobile.biz" <gianluca@mobile.biz> wrote:

> Word 2004
>
> (I am relatively new to Word and am delighted to find a forum
> specifically for the Mac version. There are a number of unresolved,
> niggling issues I can live however they slow the workflow. I am eager
> to learn.)
>
> In the recent past, I manually converted 12,000+ recipes from
> WordPerfect 7 to Word. Since Word 2004 does not have a filter for the
> old files, the conversion was done on the Windows side of my Mac in
> Word2003. Those files _usually_ open without protest also in 2004. One
> annoyance regards text boxes. When text was highlighted and a text box
> was requested for it in 2003, the box surrounded the text as it was
> originally formatted, i.e. across the width of the page. When those
> same files are opened in 2004, the text box has shifted and become a
> large square on the left side of the page. The same is true with new
> text boxes created in 2004 documents. I can stretch it out and reshape
> the box once and it stays in place thereafter however it is a
> nuisance.This happens 100% of the time.  Is this a 2004 bug?
>
> Thank you.

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

0
John
3/1/2010 6:24:07 AM
Thank you for your reply. In reading it, perhaps some clarification is
needed on my part. The text boxes were not created in WordPerfect and
imported into Word therefore the problem about which I inquire has
nothing to do with that app. The boxes were created in either Word
2003 or 2004.

You said:
"For new ones, as you have discovered, they will go where you put
them."

Actually that is the opposite of what I said:
"When... [2003] files are opened in 2004, the text box _has shifted_
and become a large square on the left side of the page. The same is
true with new text boxes created in 2004 documents. I can stretch it
out and reshape the box once and it stays in place thereafter..."

Stated another way.
If I have two lines of text in a 2003 doc and place it into a text
box, that is exactly what happens: the text remains as two lines as it
was only with a rectangular border around it. If I then open that file
in 2004, the text box is no longer a rectangle stretching across the
page (where it was originally placed in the 2003 doc). Rather, it is
now a square box against the left margin and the original two lines of
text have become numerous lines of text. Only then, if I again stretch
out the box to the two-line, rectangular box I intend, does it stay
that way.

That said, I have not thought of paragraph borders and should like to
try them; tables take more time to format for a simple paragraph
border than does the text box therefore it is not considered an option
for this purpose.

I should indeed like the text box "advanced course" floating, layering
et al provided I am not asking you to laboriously write out these
instructions. Is there a URL to which I may be directed for this
information?

I am happily indebted to you and the others in this forum for your
time and diligence in helping us master Word.

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 17:24:07 +1100, John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
wrote:

>Well, it's not a "bug" :-)
>
>Text Boxes go where you put them.  Unless you say differently, that is the
>left margin of the paragraph they are anchored to.
>
>In converted WordPerfect documents, the information needed to position the
>text box is not present, so they will always end up on the left margin.  For
>new ones, as you have discovered, they will go where you put them.
>
>Generally, we would advise you that Text Boxes are not a good thing to use
>in Word unless you absolutely HAVE to, because they ARE complex to manage.
>Normally, you can accomplish what you need with either paragraph borders or
>tables, and these are much less confusing and more reliable.
>
>If you absolutely MUST use Text Boxes, come back and we will give you an
>advanced course in how to use them.  You need to understand floating objects
>and relative positioning and z-order (layers) to use Text Boxes properly.
>
>Hope this helps
>

>On 1/03/10 11:04 AM, in article bnvlo5doitfqs41bmq67ved45dns8sng6i@4ax.com,
>"gianluca@mobile.biz" <gianluca@mobile.biz> wrote:
>
>> Word 2004
>>
>> (I am relatively new to Word and am delighted to find a forum
>> specifically for the Mac version. There are a number of unresolved,
>> niggling issues I can live however they slow the workflow. I am eager
>> to learn.)
>>
>> In the recent past, I manually converted 12,000+ recipes from
>> WordPerfect 7 to Word. Since Word 2004 does not have a filter for the
>> old files, the conversion was done on the Windows side of my Mac in
>> Word2003. Those files _usually_ open without protest also in 2004. One
>> annoyance regards text boxes. When text was highlighted and a text box
>> was requested for it in 2003, the box surrounded the text as it was
>> originally formatted, i.e. across the width of the page. When those
>> same files are opened in 2004, the text box has shifted and become a
>> large square on the left side of the page. The same is true with new
>> text boxes created in 2004 documents. I can stretch it out and reshape
>> the box once and it stays in place thereafter however it is a
>> nuisance.This happens 100% of the time.  Is this a 2004 bug?
>>
>> Thank you.
>

>John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
>McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.
>Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410; mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
gianluca
3/1/2010 5:18:41 PM
Yes, if you want the advanced course, we WILL have to type it out for you,
because it doesn't yet exist anywhere else :-(

First, I would like to know what's going wrong.  Any chance you could email
me a sample of the 2003 doc?  (email address in the .sig) A 2003 doc should
open without a problem in Word 2004...

I'm nearly asleep right now, but keep hassling me: I will do the whole text
box bit for you if you keep nagging me :-)

Cheers

On 2/03/10 4:18 AM, in article aasno5p930im0vo2j0djuubtmtcga0270u@4ax.com,
> [...]

>>> originally formatted, i.e. across the width of the page. When those
>>> same files are opened in 2004, the text box has shifted and become a
>>> large square on the left side of the page. The same is true with new
>>> text boxes created in 2004 documents. I can stretch it out and reshape
>>> the box once and it stays in place thereafter however it is a
>>> nuisance.This happens 100% of the time.  Is this a 2004 bug?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>

>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
>> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.
>> Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410; mailto:john@mcghie.name

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

3/2/2010 9:00:46 AM
While John is napping have a look here & follow the links at the bottom of
the page which pertain to the Draw Layer & Floating Graphics;

http://word.mvps.org/Mac/PagesInWord.html

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/1/10 12:18 PM, in article aasno5p930im0vo2j0djuubtmtcga0270u@4ax.com,
> [...]

>>> old files, the conversion was done on the Windows side of my Mac in
>>> Word2003. Those files _usually_ open without protest also in 2004. One
>>> annoyance regards text boxes. When text was highlighted and a text box
>>> was requested for it in 2003, the box surrounded the text as it was
>>> originally formatted, i.e. across the width of the page. When those
>>> same files are opened in 2004, the text box has shifted and become a
>>> large square on the left side of the page. The same is true with new
>>> text boxes created in 2004 documents. I can stretch it out and reshape
>>> the box once and it stays in place thereafter however it is a
>>> nuisance.This happens 100% of the time.  Is this a 2004 bug?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>

>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
>> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

CyberTaz
3/2/2010 11:26:01 AM
To all who are helping me on this thread and others, I sincerely thank
you. I have been unable to visit the forum this week however I have
eagerly looked forward to returning and reading your replies. Please
do not think my silences are from indifference. I am now going to read
through the new responses, visit the suggested links and will return,
no doubt, with more question. I'm making a list. :>)

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 06:26:01 -0500, CyberTaz
<onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:

> [...]
>>> text box is not present, so they will always end up on the left margin.  For
>>> new ones, as you have discovered, they will go where you put them.
>>>
>>> Generally, we would advise you that Text Boxes are not a good thing to use
>>> in Word unless you absolutely HAVE to, because they ARE complex to manage.
>>> Normally, you can accomplish what you need with either paragraph borders or
>>> tables, and these are much less confusing and more reliable.
>>>
>>> If you absolutely MUST use Text Boxes, come back and we will give you an
>>> advanced course in how to use them.  You need to understand floating objects
>>> and relative positioning and z-order (layers) to use Text Boxes properly.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps

>>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
>>> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

3/13/2010 7:43:17 PM
Good day, Mr. McGhie:
I shall indeed send you some files showing the original formatting and
what 2004 is doing to my text boxes.

Your "advanced course" offer is beyond the call of duty and I am
unwilling to burden you to such a degree. For the most part, they
behave themselves and do as I bid. It just this shape-sifting that has
me puzzled. Per your suggestion, I had a look a paragraph borders. For
expediency, I need to stick with text boxes. Word is at best a
glorified TextEdit for me. For any serious layouts, even a personal
letter, I use InDesign always. One of the many reason I switched from
my dinosaur WordPerfect to Word is because Word and InDesign are
reported to play nicely together... sort of.

Requesting clarification regarding your E-address: Is it actually
mcghie [dot] name or is name supposed to be replaced with something?
(I'm not as bright and quick as I was 374 years ago when I was only
90; humour me.)

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 20:00:46 +1100, John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> Normally, you can accomplish what you need with either paragraph borders or
>>> tables, and these are much less confusing and more reliable.
>>>
>>> If you absolutely MUST use Text Boxes, come back and we will give you an
>>> advanced course in how to use them.  You need to understand floating objects
>>> and relative positioning and z-order (layers) to use Text Boxes properly.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps

>>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
>>> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.
>>> Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410; mailto:john@mcghie.name
>>>

>This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>matters unless you intend to pay!
>
> --
>
>John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
>McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

3/13/2010 8:06:39 PM
Hi ...

Well, if you are going to get all formal on me, isn't it time you introduced
yourself?

As I understand it, 374 years ago when we were both in short pants, the
suggestion was that one should append one's name to correspondence!  :-)

Yeah, john@mcghie.name is it.  I put it in the .sig at the bottom, because
if you view these posts on most websites, the machine will remove the real
origination address.

Text boxes are "anchored frames".  You need to pay attention to what you
anchor them to, because if it moves, they will move.  And how you anchor
them: you can compute their position relative to a paragraph, a margi, or a
page.  Depending on which you choose, high entertainment value is possible
if the other components on the page move.

The fundamental unit of a Word document is the paragraph: Word has no notion
of "pages" in its files, it makes them up at print time if it needs more
room to fit the paragraphs and whatever is anchored to them.

Cheers

On 14/03/10 7:06 AM, in article 33rnp5hk91ns67qr28s5r659gqqa7s2l2h@4ax.com,
> [...]

>>> et al provided I am not asking you to laboriously write out these
>>> instructions. Is there a URL to which I may be directed for this
>>> information?
>>>
>>> I am happily indebted to you and the others in this forum for your
>>> time and diligence in helping us master Word.

>> This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>> matters unless you intend to pay!
>>
>> --
>>
>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
>> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.
>> Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410; mailto:john@mcghie.name

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

3/14/2010 1:34:23 AM
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 12:34:23 +1100, John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
wrote:

>Hi ...
>
>Well, if you are going to get all formal on me, isn't it time you introduced
>yourself?
>
>As I understand it, 374 years ago when we were both in short pants, the
>suggestion was that one should append one's name to correspondence!  :-)

Them's was the good ol' days when it was safe to append one's actual
name to a post. Experience has been a stern taskmaster and counsels
caution in using one's actual name in Usenet as I did freely for a
number of years. Sad.
I have a zip ready to send along to you per your request. (You aren't
going to make me pay, are you as threatened at the end of some of your
post? ;>))

>Yeah, john@mcghie.name is it.  I put it in the .sig at the bottom, because
>if you view these posts on most websites, the machine will remove the real
>origination address.
>
>Text boxes are "anchored frames".  You need to pay attention to what you
>anchor them to, because if it moves, they will move.  And how you anchor
>them: you can compute their position relative to a paragraph, a margi, or a
>page.  Depending on which you choose, high entertainment value is possible
>if the other components on the page move.

Sir, I hear you and your point is taken as read. Unfortunately, I
still feel we are not on the same page here. If I create a text box on
the PC side of my box (which is now rare that most of the WordPerfect
to Word conversion are mercifully finished) they stay put so I don't
believe I am... uh... messing up. The problem only exist in documents
imported from 2003 to 2004 or newly created in 2004. And, once the
recalcitrant box is manually put aright (to the desired rectilinear
shape) in 2004, it stays put there as well. I can edit surrounding
paragraphs and the box moves as I should expect it to do. It is only
in the _initial creation_ of the box that the problem exists. I'll
send you the PDF I created showing the progress of inserting a text
box in a doc. Why a PDF? I've covered all of that, plus [fanfare,
please] a personal introduction, in a cover letter.

Please stand by to receive.

>The fundamental unit of a Word document is the paragraph: Word has no notion
>of "pages" in its files, it makes them up at print time if it needs more
>room to fit the paragraphs and whatever is anchored to them.
>
>Cheers
0
gianluca
3/15/2010 3:00:51 AM
Hi Gianluca:

On 15/03/10 2:00 PM, in article se8rp5tr3k39rpnuu553krc4l5iintbgfv@4ax.com,
"gianluca@mobile.biz" <gianluca@mobile.biz> wrote:

> Them's was the good ol' days when it was safe to append one's actual
> name to a post. Experience has been a stern taskmaster and counsels
> caution in using one's actual name in Usenet as I did freely for a
> number of years. Sad.

My real name and real email address and real phone number are attached to
this post, and to every other post I have made since about 1989 :-)

> I have a zip ready to send along to you per your request. (You aren't
> going to make me pay, are you as threatened at the end of some of your
> post? ;>))

Well, no, you escape under the clause "unless I ask you to...".  Everyone
else gets to pay :-)

>> Text boxes are "anchored frames".  You need to pay attention to what you
>> anchor them to, because if it moves, they will move.  And how you anchor
>> them: you can compute their position relative to a paragraph, a margi, or a
>> page.  Depending on which you choose, high entertainment value is possible
>> if the other components on the page move.
>
> Sir, I hear you and your point is taken as read. Unfortunately, I
> still feel we are not on the same page here.

Well, I got your email, and I tried it on the file you supplied in Word
2003.  The text box ended up flush on the left margin.

Go to Word>Preferences>View and turn on "Object Anchors" so you can see what
you are doing.

Then click the picture, and an Anchor symbol ⚓ will appear somewhere on the
page where you pasted the picture.  In your case, you will see that the
anchor is actually INSIDE the text box (it's actually behind it, but you get
the idea...)

Drag it to the beginning of the paragraph ABOVE where you want the picture
to appear.

Then drag the picture where you want it.

Any object whose Layout is set to anything other than "Inline with text" is
a "floating" object, and is anchored to the paragraph you choose when you
paste it in.

Every floating object is anchored to a paragraph: you need to control which
paragraph (and it must be a paragraph that will remain on the page the
picture is on).

> If I create a text box on
> the PC side of my box (which is now rare that most of the WordPerfect
> to Word conversion are mercifully finished) they stay put so I don't
> believe I am... uh... messing up.

Well, you're not messing up.  But the level of complexity can be fairly high
with this method.  In a Word document, "everything" is related to
"everything else".

I rarely use floating objects, and then only when I absolutely have to.
Because they do create "high entertainment value" when you come to maintain
the documents.

The measurements in question are expressed in "twips".  A Twip is 1/20th of
a point.  Word derives its measurements from the printer driver, the fonts,
and the operating system.

If you move a document to a different operating system, chances are the
printer driver is returning different measurements, the fonts are coded to a
different rendering standard, and the pixels are a different shape.

If you build a document containing lots of floating objects that are all
floating in space relative to each other, just a tiny movement in any  one
of the measurements can produce a large movement as everything shuffles
around, because everything changes size.

I construct my documents to avoid floating objects (I might allow only one
in about 500 pages...) to avoid this problem.

I also format entirely using styles, and use the paragraph properties of the
styles to position everything, including pictures.  For "boxes" I use either
paragraph borders or single-cell tables.

My original recommendation stands: "Don't use text boxes" for this,
especially if you want to operate cross-platform.  The alternative is that
you get to spend a LOT of time putting text boxes 'right'.

Cheers

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John
3/16/2010 4:12:59 AM
Hi,

I am also working with text boxes in Windows 7 Word 2010. The text boxes are
providing "high entertainment" value as you indicate but my project is due
and before I abandon all the work done to date I am hoping you can help me.
Here is the problem:
NOTE: My document has sections and columns.  Section 1 is the masthead.
Section 2 is three columns. I have two images already on the page. Both
images have text wrapping and are anchored to the first body paragraph in
section 2.

1. I select text in cols 2 and 3.
2. I click the Text box/Draw Text Box option in the Text group on the Insert
tab.
3. The text box jumps to the left side of the page (OK I get it - it is
anchored to that paragraph).
4.  I set the height to 4.1 and the width to 4.65 in the Size group. The
text box resizes.
5. I click the Position button, I select Position in Bottom Right with
Square Text, I drag the anchor symbol to the margin left of the first body
paragraph in section 2.
6. I turn off display of paragraph marks, and the text box size changes back
to its original size.
7. I resize to the dimensions in step 4.
8. I apply the shape style Subtle Effect - Blue Accent 4.

NOTES:
For Step 5: The text box did not move to the bottom right as directed. It
moved to the middle right. I had to physcially drag the box to the bottom
right.
For Step 6: I lose the size and have to enter the dimensions again.
For step 8: I lose the size and the position and have to fix again.
This worked in Office 2007 so I am confused about why it is not working now.
I can send files if that would help you visualize the problems.

Thank you for your help with this...plc

"gianluca@mobile.biz" wrote:

> [...]
> >> now a square box against the left margin and the original two lines of
> >> text have become numerous lines of text. Only then, if I again stretch
> >> out the box to the two-line, rectangular box I intend, does it stay
> >> that way.
> >>
> >> That said, I have not thought of paragraph borders and should like to
> >> try them; tables take more time to format for a simple paragraph
> >> border than does the text box therefore it is not considered an option
> >> for this purpose.
> >>
> >> I should indeed like the text box "advanced course" floating, layering
> >> et al provided I am not asking you to laboriously write out these
> >> instructions. Is there a URL to which I may be directed for this
> >> information?
> >>
> >> I am happily indebted to you and the others in this forum for your
> >> time and diligence in helping us master Word.

Oh, OK.  So if you look in Help>About in Word 2010 you will probably see the
End User Licence Agreement.

It will read something like "This is beta software.  You should not use it
in production."  It should go on to say "If you do, and it stuffs up your
document, you're screwed."  It should...  :-)

Sorry, I don't want to seem unduly unsympathetic, but that's the name of the
software testing game: you are using Beta Software.  It may damage or delete
your document.  If it does, your guess is as good as mine: it doesn't work,
they know it doesn't work, that's why it's a beta.

Report the bug, and re-build the document...

I should also mention that this is the Mac Word forum.  We normally refer
support for the Windows products to our good friends down the hall...

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/flyoutoverview.mspx

Cheers

On 13/04/10 3:26 PM, in article
833D6FD5-C951-4371-9C7F-4215BF23A298@microsoft.com, "plc"
<plc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am also working with text boxes in Windows 7 Word 2010. The text boxes are
> providing "high entertainment" value as you indicate but my project is due
> and before I abandon all the work done to date I am hoping you can help me.
> Here is the problem:
> NOTE: My document has sections and columns.  Section 1 is the masthead.
> Section 2 is three columns. I have two images already on the page. Both
> images have text wrapping and are anchored to the first body paragraph in
> section 2.
>
> 1. I select text in cols 2 and 3.
> 2. I click the Text box/Draw Text Box option in the Text group on the Insert
> tab.
> 3. The text box jumps to the left side of the page (OK I get it - it is
> anchored to that paragraph).
> 4.  I set the height to 4.1 and the width to 4.65 in the Size group. The
> text box resizes.
> 5. I click the Position button, I select Position in Bottom Right with
> Square Text, I drag the anchor symbol to the margin left of the first body
> paragraph in section 2.
> 6. I turn off display of paragraph marks, and the text box size changes back
> to its original size.
> 7. I resize to the dimensions in step 4.
> 8. I apply the shape style Subtle Effect - Blue Accent 4.
>
> NOTES:
> For Step 5: The text box did not move to the bottom right as directed. It
> moved to the middle right. I had to physcially drag the box to the bottom
> right.
> For Step 6: I lose the size and have to enter the dimensions again.
> For step 8: I lose the size and the position and have to fix again.
> This worked in Office 2007 so I am confused about why it is not working now.
> I can send files if that would help you visualize the problems.
>
> Thank you for your help with this...plc
>
> "gianluca@mobile.biz" wrote:
>
>> To all who are helping me on this thread and others, I sincerely thank
>> you. I have been unable to visit the forum this week however I have
>> eagerly looked forward to returning and reading your replies. Please
>> do not think my silences are from indifference. I am now going to read
>> through the new responses, visit the suggested links and will return,
>> no doubt, with more question. I'm making a list. :>)
>>
>> On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 06:26:01 -0500, CyberTaz
>> <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> While John is napping have a look here & follow the links at the bottom of
>>> the page which pertain to the Draw Layer & Floating Graphics;
>>>
>>> http://word.mvps.org/Mac/PagesInWord.html
>>>
>>> HTH |:>)
>>> Bob Jones
>>> [MVP] Office:Mac

>> .

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John
4/13/2010 6:06:59 AM
Thank you for the information. I guess what I was really wondering is if it
is a Beta problem that will be fixed (I can't find anything to suggest that
Microsoft is working on this) or if it is something in my document.

Thank you for the link to the Windows side of things. I will pursue my query
there. Sorry to have bothered you.

Best...plc

"John McGhie" wrote:

> [...]
> > I can send files if that would help you visualize the problems.
> >
> > Thank you for your help with this...plc
> >
> > "gianluca@mobile.biz" wrote:
> >
> >> To all who are helping me on this thread and others, I sincerely thank
> >> you. I have been unable to visit the forum this week however I have
> >> eagerly looked forward to returning and reading your replies. Please
> >> do not think my silences are from indifference. I am now going to read
> >> through the new responses, visit the suggested links and will return,
> >> no doubt, with more question. I'm making a list. :>)

> >> .
> >>

>  --
>
> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!
>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,

What you describe is more likely to be "the way you are using it" or
"something in your document" than a "bug".  But without seeing your
document, I wouldn't like to commit myself.

We have no idea at all which bugs (if any...) Microsoft intends to fix.
Neither does Microsoft.

All bugs are entered into a database, where they get a "score" based on how
many users they hit, what happens, and what the users can do instead.

The closer they get to their target on-sale date (which we don't know, and
neither do they...) the higher a bug needs to score to make it into the
winner's circle and get fixed.  The more code they have to change to fix it,
the more expensive, and thus less likely, it gets.

The Product Manager for Office 2007 System could give you the list of what
he thinks will be fixed "today".  Tomorrow, he'll have a different list...
Many trivial bugs, some reported 20 years ago, may suddenly "go away"
because someone opened up the code that is causing them to fix something
else and put that right while they were in there.

It's just not possible to say anything sensible about this unless you are
one of the Managers in the daily "Quality Assurance" committee meeting :-)

Eventually, the Marketing Director (who does sit on that committee...) will
say "OK, burn the disks, we're going to market!"  Which is the first time
that anyone, inside Microsoft or outside it, can tell you for sure when the
product will appear :-)

Cheers

On 14/04/10 7:06 AM, in article
FB9BD0CE-4906-4B11-B4BE-99BDB3B45322@microsoft.com, "plc"
> [...]

>>> 8. I apply the shape style Subtle Effect - Blue Accent 4.
>>>
>>> NOTES:
>>> For Step 5: The text box did not move to the bottom right as directed. It
>>> moved to the middle right. I had to physcially drag the box to the bottom
>>> right.
>>> For Step 6: I lose the size and have to enter the dimensions again.
>>> For step 8: I lose the size and the position and have to fix again.
>>> This worked in Office 2007 so I am confused about why it is not working now.
>>> I can send files if that would help you visualize the problems.
>>>
>>> Thank you for your help with this...plc

>>  --
>>
>> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!
>>
>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,

4/14/2010 5:33:27 AM
&quot;Generally, we would advise you that Text Boxes are not a good thing to use in Word unless you absolutely HAVE to, because they ARE complex to manage.&quot; <br><br>What do you suggest? I used to like to use text boxes to insert notes to myself on drafts of documents next to the text in question (some notes use drawings) and for inserting pictures. By using text boxes I could move these items where I wished in the document.  <br><br>However, in my current version of Word, text boxes are much more difficult. Indeed, moving them is like trying to herd cats.
Comments.  They're made for that purpose :-)

See Insert>Comment...  You can place a button for that on a toolbar, or
assign it a keystroke.

Cheers

On 20/04/10 5:58 PM, in article 59bb39df.14@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"B-Mac@officeformac.com" <B-Mac@officeformac.com> wrote:

> "Generally, we would advise you that Text Boxes are not a good thing to use in
> Word unless you absolutely HAVE to, because they ARE complex to manage."
>
> What do you suggest? I used to like to use text boxes to insert notes to
> myself on drafts of documents next to the text in question (some notes use
> drawings) and for inserting pictures. By using text boxes I could move these
> items where I wished in the document.
>
> However, in my current version of Word, text boxes are much more difficult.
> Indeed, moving them is like trying to herd cats.

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John
4/20/2010 10:22:52 AM
Mr. McGhie et al
Finally, I am returned briefly to the forum and have found the kind
and generous replies made to my inquiry during my protracted absence.
My sincere thanks to one and all for your assistance. One or two more
newbie question, either from me or He-Who-Borrows-My-Name, and then
you may hope to be well rid of each and both of us... until next time.
:>)

distinti saluti
GianLuca

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 15:12:59 +1100, John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
wrote:

> [...]
>around, because everything changes size.
>
>I construct my documents to avoid floating objects (I might allow only one
>in about 500 pages...) to avoid this problem.
>
>I also format entirely using styles, and use the paragraph properties of the
>styles to position everything, including pictures.  For "boxes" I use either
>paragraph borders or single-cell tables.
>
>My original recommendation stands: "Don't use text boxes" for this,
>especially if you want to operate cross-platform.  The alternative is that
>you get to spend a LOT of time putting text boxes 'right'.
>
>Cheers
>
> --
>
>The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!
>
>John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,

4/29/2010 3:00:41 PM
Hi GianLuca:

Oh, we love to see you in here, you are one of our favourite friends!

"He who borrows your name" is a grumpy old man, get someone to make sure he
takes his medication!  :-)

Cheers

On 30/04/10 1:00 AM, in article 2d7jt5tuvi9ple7136puq7tbi4aqohfn3p@4ax.com,
> [...]

>> around, because everything changes size.
>>
>> I construct my documents to avoid floating objects (I might allow only one
>> in about 500 pages...) to avoid this problem.
>>
>> I also format entirely using styles, and use the paragraph properties of the
>> styles to position everything, including pictures.  For "boxes" I use either
>> paragraph borders or single-cell tables.
>>
>> My original recommendation stands: "Don't use text boxes" for this,
>> especially if you want to operate cross-platform.  The alternative is that
>> you get to spend a LOT of time putting text boxes 'right'.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> --
>>
>> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!
>>
>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,

Page Bread Bug!!
Hi, I am a fairly experienced user of XL but I still have not found an explanation for this happening... Sometimes a workbook will suddenly switch to a page PER CELL for every worksheet within it (and all other open workbooks as far as I can tell). Has anyone seen this before and know why it happens? Once it happens i can't find anyway of reverting to normal except by closing and not saving (I've tried all the obvious page setup options etc.) Thanks in advance. ...

How to ShellExec IE to the home page?
Howdy, From my win32 C++ app I need to spawn an instance of Internet Explorer (or the default browser, either way is fine) that just opens to the browser's home page. I know how to shellexec a specific http file, but not how to get the default browser to just open to its home page. Another obvious way to skin this cat (that I'm not sure about) is to find a way to know where the iexplorer.exe is located and fire it off with CreateProcess. Is there a documented registry setting that points to either IE or the default browser's exe file? The solution needs to work with all versi...

page size #2
I have a excel file that should print out and fill the page but only prints to 65% of the page. Please help as i can not find the setting to fix it. hi, file>print area>clear print area high light the area you want to print File>print area>set print area good luck >-----Original Message----- >I have a excel file that should print out and fill the page but only prints >to 65% of the page. Please help as i can not find the setting to fix it. >. > the excel file was design before we updated the windows xp to sp2. before that the page print was ok "anonymou...

How do I force a new page?
I have a report that has a large number of controls for each record. Because the amount of data for each record can vary in quantity the report can have part of a record on one page and the rest on another. How do I force a new page for each record? Thanks Tony Sorry found it in help, Force new page of Details property, Sorry should have looked in help first. Tony "Tony Williams" <tw@invalid.com> wrote in message news:%23KwkRokOIHA.3516@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I have a report that has a large number of controls for each record. >Because the amount of data for e...

text formatting problems
I receive spreadsheets from remote site support staff containing Ethernet addresses in a column. Often these are entered with spaces, hyphens, etc. between each pair. However, I need them to be 12 character strings, no spaces or other chars. The column is formatted as text, and I do a replace on the problem character. This works unless the address could be interpreted as an exponent; i.e 00-50-04-82-1E-20 becomes 5.00E+26 when I replace the hyphens with nothing. In addresses that do not contain alpha chars, the leading zeros are dropped. Has anyone else seen this? How do you get aroun...

Using FIND on linked text
I have a column linked to display the text strings in another column on another worksheet. Because the actual entry in the cell is a formula and not the text string, the FIND command doesn't work. Is there a way to search the displayed strings, rather than actual cell entries? Ed Ed In the Find dialog, change the 'Look In' to Values. Andy. "Ed" <ed_millis@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O21RWV7SDHA.3700@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I have a column linked to display the text strings in another column on > another worksheet. Because the actua...

Excel 2000: Combo box cell link protection question
If the cell to which a combo box "cell link" refers, is protected then Excel generates an error when the combo box value is changed. Is there a way to to have the particular cell protected and yet be able to change the combo box value? Bertus Have the unprotected cell in a hidden row or column -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Images over text
Hi, I tried to convert a pub into an html (by "Convert into web site" or something like this, in the file menu), and everything works good, but images go over texts and so some sentences can't be read. In the pub-file, the text goes all arount the image, while in the html it goes under the image. Can somebody tell me how can i solve this problem? I HAVE to find a procedure that involves only Publisher because the person that have to follow it can use only this program. I use office 2003, and i know that office 2000 has't this problem. Thank you very much in advance Pa...

Import large text file
Hi, Which options do I have to import a text file to Excel, with more than 200.000 records. Thanks Luis Hi Luis, Did you try opening the file from Excel (file,open) then after going through the file import wizard and you have what you want you can use file, save as, ...) Since you are not used to this suggest you start with a copy of your flat text file. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "L. A. M." ...

Receipt template
Hi! I'm making custom receipt template. I use different headers ("OverlayFirstPage" and "OverlayOnlyPage" differs from "OverlayMiddlePage" and "OverlayLastPage"). Problem is that these headers are of quite different size and there is a lot of space between header and document section on middle and last page. Can I define different <TOP> parameters in <DOCUMENT> depending on what page it is (or what overlay uses)? Thanks, Koit I got it myself, using page number: <IF> <CONDITION>\p=1 | \p=\t</CONDITION> <T...

convert text & multiply
Is it possible to create a function/formula which will count certain text in a row and then convert them to a value and allow it to be multiplied by a value? > e.g. E DO L OD E L DO (count the text E, L, OD ignoring DO) the value of these being 7.5 then multiplied by the amount of times they appear e.g. 5x7.5 = 37.5. Are these text values in one cell or are they spread out like A1 B1 C1 D1 E1 F1 G1 E DO L OD E L DO if so you could use =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:G1={"E";"L";"OD"}))*7.5 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "...

Help: New dialog box when opening Word
Starting in the last week or so I get the following message when opening Word or Outlook (which I have set to use Word as my mail composer): ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The document contains macros. Macro language support is currently disabled. Features requiring VBA are not available. Would you like to open this document read-only? OK Cancel Help ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am not opening a fil...

prevent font size change when pasting copied text
When working in powerpoint, I find that when I paste text from the buffer, its font is changed. How do I prevent that? Click the Paste Options button that shows up and choose "keep source formatting." -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2010? http://www.echosvoice.com/2010.htm Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/32a7nx "Max Nielsen" <Max Nielsen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F671062-0810-4DA8-A988-0C4720BC04B5@microso...

Input boxes in excel and MS Query
I'm using MS Excel to display the results of a SQL Server database, using the GET EXTERNAL DATA wizard, which then takes you to Microsoft Query so you can set up the SQL coding. I was having difficulty writing the SQL using MS Query, so I set up the same scenario in MS Access to write a query, then just pasted the query into MS Query. Unfortunately the code does not work and I get a "Invalid column name What is the start date" error What I'm actually trying to do is get two input boxes to appear each time the spreadsheet is opened. The user types the FROM and TO dates in...

Excel vba Form & Combo Box question
I want to show a list of descriptions in a combo box on a form. When the user makes a selection I want to put an associated data value into a cell... My descriptions are in.. A1 thru A5 The corrosponding data are in B1 thru B5 I want the data to go into cell C4 This code will put the description into C4... Sheet1.Range("C4").Value = cbxCity.Value I've tried to figgure out how to use the ListIndex property to Offset or Index but vba doesn'w use Offset and Index like the spreadsheet does. Can any one give me any help on this?? thanks tmb tmb, You can use something ...

text and pictures dissappear after click
This doesn't happen in all the slides. I've checked the transitions and animations, the master slide and individual slide, and I can't see any difference or subtlety between the non-functioning slides and others that are working. And no slides are hidden. On about half the slides in my presentation, the slide blanks out (showing only the background) after I click for the last item, either a bullet point or image, when in Slide Show view. It will not rewind to view the slide as a whole, either, instead skipping back a couple of slides. The only way I can display the wh...

Combo box value does not update in Excel 2007
I inserted a combo box form control in a cell and found problems with changing the value. Another cell on the worksheet contains a formula using the value in the combo box. When I selected a new value in the combo box and recalculated the formula it used the old value in the combo box rather than the new one. I noticed that when I used the arrow keys to navigate back to the cell containing the combo box the formula bar showed the old value, even though the combo box in the cell showed the new value. Am I doing something wrong, or is Excel not behaving as it should? bum...

need to reducing pages....i need to put the bottom part of a page.
i am working with three colums...i am down to cell 18,000...when i print my workbook it comes to 247 pages. what i want to do is put two pages that are portrait together on one page...maybe make them landscape so that i am printing less pages. also, i want to print on both sides of the page...please help If I may editorialize for a moment: is anyone actually going to read 247 pages of data? One solution may be to open a new tab within your workbook, summarize the two pages of data, and print from there. That will be much more manageable. As for printing both sides, you'll need to...

Message Boxes
Hi there I am having a play around with message boxes and need a little help. I know how to show a message box that displays YES NO CANCEL. what I don't know how to do is get the YES NO working. I would like YES to save the workbook and close. No to unhide a sheet. Is this possible to do without having to use a userform? Thank you ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore! Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum *** Hi Sub test() Select Case MsgBox("Pick one", vbYesNoCancel, "Yo!") Case vbYes Ms...

Another Text Function problem
In case RD, Ken, or Barbara did not get my message, thanks for your help with the last text function problem. Your examples and explanations were very helpful! Here's another problem. Here is a list of imported codes: JMCC2C KAO2D JMCC2A JMCC2E RPT2A RPT2B RPT2C RPT2E PEC1C PEC1D The first few characters represent the description, the number (second from the end) represent a region, and the last number represents the manufacturer. The manufacturer column is the easy one. But I am trying to figure out how to extract the description code (which can vary between 1 to 4 characters, an...

Why do my pie charts have labels which say "add text"?
Using Excel 2007 and my template comes up with this add text label for multiple labels on the pie chart. Even when I save a new template it still happens. Why? ...

Page numbers on sub reports?
I have a report that has 2 subreports. The main report is only 1 page long. The 2 subreports can be many pages and I want to show page numbers on these. I have put this in a text control in the page footer of each report ="Page " & [Page] & " of " & [Pages] I want the page numbers for each subreport to start at 1. When I run the reports independently, the page numbers appear. However when I run the reports as subreports on the main report, the page numbers don't show. Why is that? Thanks Tony Because the main report controls page headers and footers...

Printing 4 sheets on one page
Any way to print 4 sheets as one continuous printout? Right now it shows each page, even though its grouped, as a separate printout in print preview. Excel 97, yes 97! You have at least a couple of choices: #1. Insert a new sheet and copy the data from the 4 worksheets into this one and print from there (yech!). #2. Insert a new sheet and copy a picture of your data into this worksheet and print from there (yea!). Insert the new sheet Do this for each worksheet Select your range edit|copy back to the new sheet shift-edit|paste picture link (by pasting a picture link, the picture will...

How do I stop the hover on text boxes in my newsletter?
I am creading a newsletter with publisher. It looks great but after I send it my recipients see a hover test box over the actual text box on my newsletter. What am I doing wrong? I am sure it is something simple but I just can't seem to figure it out. Thanks. ...

Find string within a text in VBA
HI, How can I find a specific string in a text within a VBA code. Fo example - to search "Japan" in "the capital of Japan is Tokyo" an receive "TRUE" if found and "FALSE" if not.. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way: Dim bFound As Boolean bFound = InStr("the capital of Japan is Tokyo","Japan") > 0 In article <neta.19h3rx@excelforum-nospam.com>, neta <<neta.19h3rx@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: > HI, > > How can I find a specific string in a text within a VBA ...