tables in word

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Power PC

there are only two reasons i use office <br>
1. I like entourage as an e-mail client and general organizer. (Sorry I dislike Outlook intensely.)  <br>
2. I have the misfortune that I have to use a god awful windoze computer at work with office as he main application. <br><br>At work in word i can insert an excel table, can I do this in office for mac 2008?
0
Chris_Howells
5/25/2010 9:38:20 PM
mac.office.word 1676 articles. 1 followers. Follow

18 Replies
802 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 4

Yes, you can, in pretty much the same way: Insert> Object - Microsoft Excel
Sheet. Unfortunately it is limited to 5 Columns by 10 Rows.

If you need more cells create a new Excel workbook file, copy the content
you want to have in the document, then in Word use Edit> Paste Special,
select Microsoft Excel Sheet Object.

HTH |:>) 
Bob Jones 
[MVP] Office:Mac



On 5/25/10 5:38 PM, in article 59bb8fde.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Chris_Howells@officeformac.com" <Chris_Howells@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC
> there are only two reasons i use office
> 1. I like entourage as an e-mail client and general organizer. (Sorry I
> dislike Outlook intensely.)
> 2. I have the misfortune that I have to use a god awful windoze computer at
> work with office as he main application.
> 
> At work in word i can insert an excel table, can I do this in office for mac
> 2008?

0
CyberTaz
5/25/2010 10:13:19 PM
You cannot &quot;insert&quot; a table per se, as you would a picture from an external source, but you can copy your Excel table and use the &quot;Paste Special&quot; command to give you various options on placing the Excel table into your document.
0
michael_carr
5/25/2010 10:25:44 PM
Hi Michael;

Sorry, but that isn't quite correct :-) See my reply to the OP.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones 
[MVP] Office:Mac



On 5/25/10 6:25 PM, in article 59bb8fde.0@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"michael_carr@officeformac.com" <michael_carr@officeformac.com> wrote:

> You cannot "insert" a table per se, as you would a picture from an external
> source, but you can copy your Excel table and use the "Paste Special" command
> to give you various options on placing the Excel table into your document.

0
CyberTaz
5/26/2010 12:03:45 AM
OH, something else to rain on the op's parade and make wish he had a hammer. Its my understanding that Entourage will be dumped and Outlook will be on the 2011/12? version of Office.
0
pjonesCET
5/26/2010 2:18:17 AM
Hi Phillip:

If I were you, I would suspend judgement until you have used Mac Office 2011
Outlook.

Even the OP might like it � this is the Mac version, and that's why we have
Macs, remember?

Cheers


On 26/05/10 12:18 PM, in article 59bb8fde.3@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"pjonesCET@officeformac.com" <pjonesCET@officeformac.com> wrote:

> OH, something else to rain on the op's parade and make wish he had a hammer.
> Its my understanding that Entourage will be dumped and Outlook will be on the
> 2011/12? version of Office.

 --

The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name


0
John_McGhie_
5/26/2010 10:30:53 AM
Thanks to all most helpful. <br>
There  is a button on the tool bar in the windoze version of Word the inserts the spread sheet without all that palarver. As a 20 year Mac fan I often wonder why Macrowealth =D don't add all the items in their apps for us as well. <br><br>I will wait for 2011 before i decide whether to upgrade or not.
0
Chris_Howells
5/26/2010 11:56:03 AM
Hi Chris;

You might want to rephrase that as a "How do I..." question rather than as
an accusatory statement :-) The Mac version just offers a different array of
default tools on the toolbars based on the target market research.

You can add any command you want to any toolbar you wish & build your own
toolbars if you prefer. Customization has long been a hallmark of the Mac
versions of Office. I don't claim that the respective products are
'identically equipped' but just because you don't see something on the
surface doesn't mean it isn't there :-)

Have a look in Word Help on the subject: Customize toolbars and menus

Follow those directions to add the 'Insert Excel Spreadsheet' command from
the Insert category to whatever toolbar you wish. As an alternative you can
also assign a keyboard shortcut to the 'InsertExcelTable' command, which may
be preferable if you happen to use the feature that frequently - A keystroke
is even more convenient than a button. Do the same for any others you "can't
live without" :-)

HTH |:>) 
Bob Jones 
[MVP] Office:Mac


On 5/26/10 7:56 AM, in article 59bb8fde.5@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Chris_Howells@officeformac.com" <Chris_Howells@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Thanks to all most helpful.
> There  is a button on the tool bar in the windoze version of Word the inserts
> the spread sheet without all that palarver. As a 20 year Mac fan I often
> wonder why Macrowealth =D don't add all the items in their apps for us as
> well. 
> 
> I will wait for 2011 before i decide whether to upgrade or not.

0
CyberTaz
5/26/2010 12:55:20 PM
I'm being unfair, we do get floating pallets and much better stylish interface. As I have said earlier I do like entourage and how it helps me organise all sorts of projects.
0
Chris_Howells
5/26/2010 1:42:54 PM
> Hi Phillip: <br>
>  <br>
> If I were you, I would suspend judgement until you have used Mac Office 2011 <br>
> Outlook. <br>
>  <br>
> Even the OP might like it, this is the Mac version, and that's why we have <br>
> Macs, remember? <br>
>  <br>
> Cheers <br>
>  <br>
>  <br>
> On 26/05/10 12:18 PM, in article 59bb8fde.3@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;pjonesCET@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
>  <br>
> > OH, something else to rain on the op's parade and make wish he had a hammer. <br>
> > Its my understanding that Entourage will be dumped and Outlook will be on the <br>
> > 2011/12? version of Office. <br>
>  <br>
>  -- <br>
>  <br>
> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum <br>
> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay! <br>
>  <br>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer, <br>
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd <br>
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name <br><br>wasn't being judgmental, he made the comment about how he disliked Outlook in his original message.  <br><br>I tried Entourage once and it was so ugly convoluted, and Complex to use I never tried it again. <br><br>So I can't make a judgment. I like the way FireFox, Thunderbird, and especially how SeaMonkey is set up for mail and news. <br><br>If I could setup Outlook without downloading any of my emails/newsgroups. I might would try Outlook to see what all the fuss is about. My brother uses it at his work They use Outlook and Lotus notes. and he seems to like it.
0
pjonesCET
5/26/2010 2:53:04 PM
How do I........thank you all enough for your help? <br><br>I am surprised Phil found Entourage ugly and convoluted. I find it quite simple to use. I do use Firefox as my browser of choice but I can draw so much into Entourage that suits me. <br><br>Each to their own, eh? <br><br>Thanks again, I can now do this piece of work for my boss with a bit more ease.  =D <br><br>Chris.
0
Chris_Howells
5/26/2010 3:55:57 PM
Hi Chris:

Oh, you have to get to know Phillip :-)

His purpose in life is to disparage anything not made by Adobe.  Mind you,
he's not always kind to Adobe either...

I happen to like Entourage also.  But the next version will indeed contain
"Outlook", and I think you may find it's "Outlook with the rubbish removed"
and in that case, it should be quite a nice application to use.

Cheers

On 27/05/10 1:55 AM, in article 59bb8fde.9@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Chris_Howells@officeformac.com" <Chris_Howells@officeformac.com> wrote:

> How do I........thank you all enough for your help?
> 
> I am surprised Phil found Entourage ugly and convoluted. I find it quite
> simple to use. I do use Firefox as my browser of choice but I can draw so much
> into Entourage that suits me.
> 
> Each to their own, eh?
> 
> Thanks again, I can now do this piece of work for my boss with a bit more
> ease.  =D 
> 
> Chris.

 --

The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name


0
John_McGhie_
5/27/2010 10:18:23 AM
> Hi Chris: <br>
>  <br>
> Oh, you have to get to know Phillip :-) <br>
>  <br>
> His purpose in life is to disparage anything not made by Adobe.  Mind you, <br>
> he's not always kind to Adobe either... <br>
>  <br>
> I happen to like Entourage also.  But the next version will indeed contain <br>
> &quot;Outlook&quot;, and I think you may find it's &quot;Outlook with the rubbish removed&quot; <br>
> and in that case, it should be quite a nice application to use. <br>
>  <br>
> Cheers <br>
>  <br>
> On 27/05/10 1:55 AM, in article 59bb8fde.9@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;Chris_Howells@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
>  <br>
> > How do I........thank you all enough for your help? <br>
> >  <br>
> > I am surprised Phil found Entourage ugly and convoluted. I find it quite <br>
> > simple to use. I do use Firefox as my browser of choice but I can draw so much <br>
> > into Entourage that suits me. <br>
> >  <br>
> > Each to their own, eh? <br>
> >  <br>
> > Thanks again, I can now do this piece of work for my boss with a bit more <br>
> > ease.  =D  <br>
> >  <br>
> > Chris. <br>
>  <br>
>  -- <br>
>  <br>
> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum <br>
> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay! <br>
>  <br>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer, <br>
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd <br>
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name <br>
>  <br><br>Acrobat has warts too.  I'm sorry if I am not one of these that say MS has always been perfect in everything they do. I've been through the early and still somewhat mistreatment of Apple and Macs in the early days.  My feeling is there should be no differences in application for Mac and PC excepting those of the user interface. <br><br>If they had one unified code except for user interface, it wouldn't cost as much and would take as long
0
pjonesCET
5/27/2010 6:45:07 PM
Hi Phillip:

On 28/05/10 4:45 AM, in article 59bb8fde.11@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"pjonesCET@officeformac.com" <pjonesCET@officeformac.com> wrote:

> My feeling 
> is there should be no differences in application for Mac and PC excepting
> those of the user interface.

Well, I strongly agree with you.  The intention in Office 2011 is to produce
very close to that outcome.

Basically, in 2011, they're going as close to that as they can get, given
the time and the number of coders available.

From what I have heard (without being able to discuss the details) in my
opinion, the Mac version of Office 2011 will be more powerful and better to
use than PC Office 2010.

> If they had one unified code except for user interface, it wouldn't cost as
> much and would take as long

You can't actually DO that for a modern application.  The modern
well-behaved application calls the operating system for as much of its
activity as it can, and does not contain code for anything the operating
system can do.

So all the file handling, all the dialog boxes, all the printing, character
set handling, font handling, display handling, communications, etc etc are
all done (or should be done) by the Operating System.

As a rule of thumb, more than 80 per cent of the activity in Word is
performed by operating system code, not by Word code.

Of course, this is easy if you also happen to make the operating system.
But it presents a completely different challenge if you don't.  The
Microsoft Macintosh Software Business Unit at Redmond sits there for two
years on every release "praying" that Apple won't change anything
significant before they get Microsoft Office out the door.

Apple is slowly learning to be a little more co-operative with its major
independent software vendor.  But you still get nasty little surprises like
"Spaces" that suddenly appear when the new OS ships, and fundamentally
change the way the interface works.

And Microsoft can't say anything about it, because it took Microsoft several
years to learn NOT to do this with Windows.

Of course, if either of them had bothered to talk to IBM, they "could" have
learned this lesson 40 years ago.  But young hot-shots coding away in a
garage someplace have the characteristic teenager's conviction that "they
know everything".  If they then go on to form a successful multinational
company, it can be a year or two before they reflect on the fact that this
may not actually be quite true ...

Cheers

 --

The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name


0
John_McGhie_
5/27/2010 8:04:54 PM
Hey Phillip;

Didn't this discussion already take place here recently?

<snip>
On 5/27/10 2:45 PM, in article 59bb8fde.11@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"pjonesCET@officeformac.com" <pjonesCET@officeformac.com> wrote:

> If they had one unified code except for user interface, it wouldn't cost as
> much and would take as long
<snip>

Operating systems are separately developed & designed to be *different* from
one another. In fact, I seriously doubt that it could be done without one
infringing on the other's copyrights. It ain't like Detroit, where Chevy,
Pontiac, Cadillac & Buick are all under the same GM umbrella so they can
design one vehicle & slap 4 different labels on it.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones 
[MVP] Office:Mac

0
CyberTaz
5/27/2010 8:45:46 PM
No not too recently. it does from time to time. :-)

What I dislike is the disparity between what you can do in PC version 
and what you can do in Mac Version with the Mac getting the short end of 
the stick. if it works in  Widows it should work or work exactly the 
same in Mac and if it works on the Mac it should work the same on the 
PC. That's all I ask.
Us mac users get tired after 20-30 years still being treated like we are 
second or third class citizens.

CyberTaz wrote:
> Hey Phillip;
>
> Didn't this discussion already take place here recently?
>
> <snip>
> On 5/27/10 2:45 PM, in article 59bb8fde.11@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
> "pjonesCET@officeformac.com"<pjonesCET@officeformac.com>  wrote:
>
>> If they had one unified code except for user interface, it wouldn't cost as
>> much and would take as long
> <snip>
>
> Operating systems are separately developed&  designed to be *different* from
> one another. In fact, I seriously doubt that it could be done without one
> infringing on the other's copyrights. It ain't like Detroit, where Chevy,
> Pontiac, Cadillac&  Buick are all under the same GM umbrella so they can
> design one vehicle&  slap 4 different labels on it.
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

-- 
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:pjones1@kimbanet.com
0
Phillip
5/27/2010 11:47:11 PM
Well, yeah, but I haven't noticed any Mac Users deciding to forego the
purchase of an iPad so they can pay twice as much for Word recently.

Certainly not THIS Mac User :-)

If every user of PC Word paid just $5.00 of the price to make the next
version better, Microsoft would have $5,000,000,000.00 to spend on the next
PC version of Word.  If every Mac user did the same, Microsoft would have
$110,000,000.00 to spend.  See the difference?  To save you working it out,
the PC side has $4,890,000,000.00 more money to spend each year than Mac
Office does.

Five billion bucks buys you a hell of a lot of lines of code.

In fact, they did not need quite that much.  Microsoft recently announced
that Office 2008 has been the best selling version of Mac Office ever,
selling three times as many copies as any previous version.

And they have announced that the next version of Mac Office will be
substantially upgraded.

The rules of business have not changed much since you retired.  The first
rule of business is "Stay in business".  Which roughly translates as "Sell
more than you spend."

By all means keep banging on about this if it makes you feel better.  But it
will have absolutely NO effect.  What Mac Office needed was SALES.  Now it's
had a few, Microsoft has taken a gamble that there will be a few more, and
spent the money on a big upgrade.

My iPad will have to wait.  Shame, that :-)

OK, back to hammering them over the state of the Help...

Cheers


On 28/05/10 9:47 AM, in article e0d$ubf$KHA.5464@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
"Phillip Jones, C.E.T." <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:

> No not too recently. it does from time to time. :-)
> 
> What I dislike is the disparity between what you can do in PC version
> and what you can do in Mac Version with the Mac getting the short end of
> the stick. if it works in  Widows it should work or work exactly the
> same in Mac and if it works on the Mac it should work the same on the
> PC. That's all I ask.
> Us mac users get tired after 20-30 years still being treated like we are
> second or third class citizens.
> 
> CyberTaz wrote:
>> Hey Phillip;
>> 
>> Didn't this discussion already take place here recently?
>> 
>> <snip>
>> On 5/27/10 2:45 PM, in article 59bb8fde.11@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
>> "pjonesCET@officeformac.com"<pjonesCET@officeformac.com>  wrote:
>> 
>>> If they had one unified code except for user interface, it wouldn't cost as
>>> much and would take as long
>> <snip>
>> 
>> Operating systems are separately developed&  designed to be *different* from
>> one another. In fact, I seriously doubt that it could be done without one
>> infringing on the other's copyrights. It ain't like Detroit, where Chevy,
>> Pontiac, Cadillac&  Buick are all under the same GM umbrella so they can
>> design one vehicle&  slap 4 different labels on it.
>> 
>> Regards |:>)
>> Bob Jones
>> [MVP] Office:Mac
>> 

 --

The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name


0
John_McGhie_
5/28/2010 9:46:30 AM
Yes but they need to not compartmentalize. they should think okay we have $5,110,000,000.00 of money to invest in Office. Now what we can do with it. Pool all the money together and make one feature set that works the same was (excepting system calls).  <br><br>if you keep compartmentalizing  the as the line from the old Jerry Reed tune say. &quot;She got the gold mine, I got the shaft.&quot;
0
pjonesCET
5/28/2010 2:16:24 PM
Of course, *I* agree with you :-)  The Board of Directors, sadly, does not
:-)

For "Board of Directors" read "Your Pension Find".  Phillip, if you did not
have such a huge pension fund, the world would work better... :-)

Cheers


On 29/05/10 12:16 AM, in article 59bb8fde.16@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"pjonesCET@officeformac.com" <pjonesCET@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Yes but they need to not compartmentalize. they should think okay we have
> $5,110,000,000.00 of money to invest in Office. Now what we can do with it.
> Pool all the money together and make one feature set that works the same was
> (excepting system calls).
> 
> if you keep compartmentalizing  the as the line from the old Jerry Reed tune
> say. "She got the gold mine, I got the shaft."

 --

The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name


0
John_McGhie_
5/28/2010 11:54:33 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces: