Styles is going rogue

Version: 2004
Processor: Intel

0
kddidit

Reveal your paragraph marks, so you can see what you are doing.

I think you are a victim of the extraordinarily silly "Linked Styles" design
bug.

If you do not select the paragraph mark when applying a style, Word applies
the "Character" part of that style only.  If you clear formatting, you come
back to the underlying paragraph style.

You may have a corrupt document there...  Or you may have inadvertently
switched on "Automatically Update" on one or more styles.

See here:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/WholeDocumentReformatted.htm

Hope this helps

On 17/05/10 4:46 PM, in article 59bb8950.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"kddidit@officeformac.com" <kddidit@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel
> This is a problem I've been having for awhile, but it is now out of control.
> My initial problem was selecting text and attempting to apply a style.  Word
> ignores my attempts.
>
> Now, "Normal" text suddenly appears with 24pt bold when it should be 12pt
> normal.  When I "clear formatting" on the "Normal" style, it jumps over to
> "Title".
>
> What's goin' on???

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_
5/17/2010 9:30:11 AM
No, I HATE automatically update.  I always uncheck it. <br><br>I've been through my doc with the paragraph marks showing.  I've taken out a few extra spaces but other than that I don't know how to tell if I have included the paragraph marks???
0
kddidit
5/18/2010 3:01:19 AM
There's no way you can TELL (not in 2008, which won't SHOW you Linked
Styles, even though it produces them...)

What you can do is:

1)  Select the offending passage of text

2)  Hit Control + SpaceBar (which is ResetChar)

3)  Hit Command + Option + q (which is ResetPara).

ResetChar clears out any unwanted character formatting, ResetPara clears out
any unwanted Paragraph formatting.

The result is that you see only the formatting of the applied styles.  So
then you can see at a glance which style is wrong.

This is different from the Edit>Clear>Clear Formatting command, which clears
off all the styles back to Normal style.

Now you can see exactly what the styles are doing.

When you format styles, check to see which style each one is "Based On".
All of the formatting will come from the Based On style until you change it.
It's often good to break the link to "Normal Style".

Hope this helps

On 18/05/10 1:01 PM, in article 59bb8950.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"kddidit@officeformac.com" <kddidit@officeformac.com> wrote:

> No, I HATE automatically update.  I always uncheck it.
>
> I've been through my doc with the paragraph marks showing.  I've taken out a
> few extra spaces but other than that I don't know how to tell if I have
> included the paragraph marks???

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_
5/18/2010 9:21:50 AM
Thanks!  I hope it helps too.  Naturally all my naughty examples are no longer showing up...Murphy's Law reigns!
0
kddidit
5/18/2010 6:43:09 PM
0
kddidit
5/19/2010 5:14:49 AM
Right.  Almost certainly a corrupt document.

Maggie it...

The Maggie:

1. Create a new blank document
2. Carefully select all of the text in the bad document EXCEPT the last
paragraph mark
3. Copy it.
4. Paste in the new document.
5. Save under a new file name and close all, then re-open.

This technique for de-corrupting is known as "Doing a 'Maggie'", after
Margaret Secara from the TECHWR-L mailing list, who first publicised the
technique.

Hope this helps

On 19/05/10 3:14 PM, in article 59bb8950.4@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"kddidit@officeformac.com" <kddidit@officeformac.com> wrote:

> See, if you accept that it won't happen, it will.
>
> I keep applying a style.  In the Formatting palette it says that my before
> para is 0 and after para is 12.
>
> When I try to modify the style to reflect that I want 3 & 3, I find that the
> style is already set for 3 & 3.  So I do the CTRL+spacebar and then
> COMMAND+OptioN+q.  The text does its little shivery thing.  With no results.
> No changes.  The style is based on Table Normal which I can't find in the
> styles.

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_
5/19/2010 10:02:04 AM
0
kddidit
5/21/2010 1:40:39 AM
On 21/5/10 1:40 PM, in article 59bb8950.6@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"kddidit@officeformac.com" <kddidit@officeformac.com> wrote:

> You say to not choose the last paragraph mark.  Is that the mark that comes
> after the paragraph or the pre-paragraph paragraph mark of the last paragraph.
>
> 2.  This is a 200-page document.  Is it the last paragraph mark of every
> paragraph or just the very, very last one?

Just in case John is away or busy

He means the very very last paragraph mark in the document. It is that one
that holds a lot of potentially devious stuff.

So copy from the first character of your document to the one just before
that very last one. You will need to show the paragraph marks by clicking
that backward P thingee in the menu bar.

Good luck

B.

0
Bob
5/21/2010 4:15:23 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "pre-paragraph paragraph mark"... There's
either a � or there isn't :-) If you're saying that there is a � at the end
of the last paragraph followed by another � on the line below it, it simply
means that the return key has been pressed one too many times. What you have
is an 'empty' paragraph at the end of the document. There's no legitimate
need for it to be there. Put the insertion point in that empty paragraph &
press the backspace/delete key.

When typing a document each press of the return key denotes both the end of
a paragraph *and* the start of a new one. In a well-constructed document
there's no reason for there to be multiple successive �s like this.�
�

To do as John suggested is a simple 5 keystroke process:

Command+A = 'select all'
Shift+Left Arrow = 'deselect last �'
Command+C = 'copy'
Command+N = 'create a new blank document'
Command+V = 'paste'

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/20/10 9:40 PM, in article 59bb8950.6@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"kddidit@officeformac.com" <kddidit@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Two questions.
>
> You say to not choose the last paragraph mark.  Is that the mark that comes
> after the paragraph or the pre-paragraph paragraph mark of the last paragraph.
>
> 2.  This is a 200-page document.  Is it the last paragraph mark of every
> paragraph or just the very, very last one?

0
CyberTaz
5/21/2010 9:48:23 AM
What he said :-)

Thanks Bob :-)

If you have difficulty not selecting it, you can actually add a couple of
blank lines to the end of the document to chase the last paragraph mark
down, so you can then easily select everything above it.

The last paragraph mark in the document contains all of the formatting for
the entire document.  If you leave it behind, and paste into a document that
has a new one in it, you often cure all sorts of corruptions.

Cheers

On 21/05/10 2:15 PM, in article
C81C621B.19C59%Bob.Jordan@plantandfood.co.nz, "Bob Jordan"
<Bob.Jordan@plantandfood.co.nz> wrote:

> On 21/5/10 1:40 PM, in article 59bb8950.6@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
> "kddidit@officeformac.com" <kddidit@officeformac.com> wrote:
>
>> You say to not choose the last paragraph mark.  Is that the mark that comes
>> after the paragraph or the pre-paragraph paragraph mark of the last
>> paragraph.
>>
>> 2.  This is a 200-page document.  Is it the last paragraph mark of every
>> paragraph or just the very, very last one?
>
> Just in case John is away or busy
>
> He means the very very last paragraph mark in the document. It is that one
> that holds a lot of potentially devious stuff.
>
> So copy from the first character of your document to the one just before
> that very last one. You will need to show the paragraph marks by clicking
> that backward P thingee in the menu bar.
>
> Good luck
>
> B.

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_
5/21/2010 11:09:34 AM
I'm working on this but I've just encountered a hiccup.  I'm finally properly applying list and table styles---I've been lazy.  This last table, I have it selected and keep selecting the Table style and it just laughs at me.  The table includes various colors and a bit of bolded text and what style offers me is Normal + Bold.  Even if I clear formatting...it stays Normal + Bold completely ignoring the fact that I'm madly clicking away on Table.  Does this mean the doc is already corrupted again?
0
kddidit
5/22/2010 1:39:01 AM
Not the whole document, just the table...

Select the Table and do the old Table>Convert>Table to Text thing...

Then, without moving the selection, Table>Convert>Text to Table...

That rebuilds the entire table, and it should then respond correctly to the
formatting.

Hope this helps

On 22/05/10 11:39 AM, in article 59bb8950.10@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"kddidit@officeformac.com" <kddidit@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I'm working on this but I've just encountered a hiccup.  I'm finally properly
> applying list and table styles---I've been lazy.  This last table, I have it
> selected and keep selecting the Table style and it just laughs at me.  The
> table includes various colors and a bit of bolded text and what style offers
> me is Normal + Bold.  Even if I clear formatting...it stays Normal + Bold
> completely ignoring the fact that I'm madly clicking away on Table.  Does this
> mean the doc is already corrupted again?

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_

Go to section of all worksheets
I have set the following macro to unhide column Y in all sheets. Dim sh As Worksheet For Each sh In Sheets(Array("sheet1", "sheet2", "sheet3")) sh.Columns("X:Z").EntireColumn.Hidden = False Range("H7").Select Next However, how do I also get it to select sell H7 and also scroll to the top left of the workbook in all sheets? One way: Dim sh As Worksheet Application.ScreenUpdating = False For Each sh In Sheets(Array("sheet1", "sheet2", "sheet3")) With ...

How do I create a trifold, tabloid (11x17) style newsletter?
I'm new to using publisher. I used the wizard to start off creating a newsletter in a tabloid size paper. I can't figure how to change it from a single fold to a double fold (or actually a tri-fold) newsletter. Help! >-----Original Message----- >I'm new to using publisher. I used the wizard to start off creating a >newsletter in a tabloid size paper. I can't figure how to change it from a >single fold to a double fold (or actually a tri-fold) newsletter. Help! >. > Charlie, Chuck here. You didn't say what version, but in 2003. Open a new publication,...

Go to the begining of the txt file after using getline()
Go to the begining of the txt file after using getline() I use fstream, open() and getline() to take a whole line from the text file. I would like to know how I can set the value of the file pointer to the beginning of the file without closing (with close() ) to start using getline() again. I need to do it many times and I think that making that without closing and reopening file thousands times will save much time. Could you advise me. Alur fseek(fileptr,0,SEEK_SET); AliR. "Alur" <Alur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD7B7AFF-6057-4C37-955A-CADA73781B3...

File open dialog shown with old style box
When I use the following code CFileDialog dlg(FALSE, DefaultExtent, filename, OFN_EXPLORER | OFN_HIDEREADONLY | OFN_PATHMUSTEXIST | OFN_OVERWRITEPROMPT, Filter); dlg.m_ofn.lpstrTitle = Title; dlg.m_ofn.lpstrInitialDir = InitialDir; if (dlg.DoModal() == IDOK) { filename = dlg.GetPathName(); .... I get a old style dialog box without the tool bar on the left side for My Documents, Desktop etc. How do I get the new style box? I'm using Visual C++ 6.0. Use GetOpenFileName instead. I think the hook function that they have for MFC common dialogs screws that up. OPENFILENAME OFN; me...

Some sent items r going 2 junk email folder,filter is off,how fix
Outlook 2007, XP pro, Having a problem with some of the sent items going to the junk email folder instead of being sent. Junk email filter is turned off, data base is fairly large at over 14 gb but had been up to 18gb with no problems. Any suggestions how to fix this otr why its even happening? Are you running a 3rd party spam filter? I've never heard of Outlook's junk e-mail filter even looking at outgoing messages, much less putting them in Junk E-mail. -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers....

Automatically go Offline?
When our Sales Reps are at the office and are synchronizing the Outlook Client (going online) at the start of the working day, some times they forget to go offline again at the end of the day. Result: The Outlook client cannot be used when working in the field (message: access denied, cannot find server). Is there a way to automaically go offline, when closing Outlook? Would be great if anyone could help. Damon. I'm afraid there is no supported way to do this int he current app. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- -------------------------------...

Printing contacts address in Small booklet style
Using Outlook 2000 SP3 on Windows Me I'm trying to print my contact list using the small booklet style, on 8 1/2 paper-portrait and pocket size 3x5 inch pages which I then cut out, punch and put in a binder. My problem is that some names are printed without addresses while others are printed with addresses. I want addresses printed with all of them. How can I get all addresses to print? Second problem is that I can't figure out how to print both sides by printing the odd pages, turning the printed pages over and printing the even pages. Four pages are on each sheet. T...

<Enter> to go to column A?

Email activities from CRM not going out to Outlook
Hi all, We're new with CRM and our users are complaining that email activities from CRM not going out to Outlook. I am not sure whether this ever worked before. I tried creating an email activity from an account and sending it to myself and I didn't get anything. I looked around CRM Help and some posts on this group and this is my conclusion: - Email sent from CRM as email activities do NOT go out as regular emails, they just sit as email-type activities in the recipient's CRM account. - To send out regular emails, you have to send them from Outlook and use the "Regarding&qu...

I go to send something
2:44 AM 9/6/2007 I go to send something from MS Outlook 2003, I receive e-mail messages. What should I do to correct this problem? Thank you, Barry Karas "Barry Karas" <barrykaras1234@comcast.net> wrote in message news:OuOdnTFjBNNwM0LbnZ2dnUVZ_rOpnZ2d@comcast.com... > 2:44 AM 9/6/2007 > > I go to send something from MS Outlook 2003, I receive e-mail messages. > What should I do to correct this problem? > > Thank you, > > Barry Karas > Eh? Outlook is SUPPOSED to receive email messages. That's what it's for..... Please be a bit more...

going back to 2003 from 2007 ! PLEASE HELP
I have recently downloaded the trial for microsoft 2007 but do not want to upgrade to 2007 since I dont like the settings better than the 2003 version that came with my laptop, so how do I go back to my 2003 version? Uninstall the trial version and reinstall Office 2003 from your original media. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "helpmegetaclue" <helpmegetaclue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1120BF03-6202-4460-AAA7-12A169E8CEC5@microsoft.com... >I have recently downl...

cash receipts able to go straight to the bank reconciliation
Right now you are forced to assign cash receipts to a "bank deposit" entry in order for them to appear on the bank reconciliation. We would like to see an option to bypass the deposit entry and go straight to the bank reconciliation. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree&quo...

Can't go to 'Last Record' in one step in a Word doc. linked To Exc
I have a excel spreadsheet linked to a word document. I can go to the last record one at a time but cannot use the 'last record' feature as it returns me to the first record. The 'first record' feature works. Also the record I was on in a previous use is still there when I return. TIA ...

Cannot Omit or Change Name When Printing in Memo Style- Office 2003 #2
Cannot Omit or Change Name When Printing in Memo Style by outlook 2003. Any help is appreciated. Leila ...

XP Style
Hi. I'm working in vc++6.0 in win 2000 and I want that my MDI Application look like XP Application. Menu I arledy done, but how chage button and dialog window?? thanks for reply bye Nietoperz from Poland nietoperz@ii9.ap.siedlce.pl (Nietoperz) wrote in message news:<a841229d.0404192351.3137d5e5@posting.google.com>... > Hi. > > I'm working in vc++6.0 in win 2000 and I want that my MDI Application > look like XP Application. Menu I arledy done, but how chage button and > dialog window?? > > thanks for reply > bye > > Nietoperz from Poland Not...

How would I go about getting these results?
source: ContactID ProjectID RoleID 1 1 1 1 2 2 1 3 1 2 1 1 2 2 2 How would I return the results where the noly record to show would be the 3rd one where there is no one with the RoleID of 2. Stated differently, how do I exclude all records where there is someone with a RoleID = 1 AND 2 and return only records that have ONLY someone with RoleID = 1 I hope this makes sense. Thanks. I am missing something. Why is row 3 returned as Con...

Contacts go Poof ...
I have a user that opened outlook 2003 and noticed his contacts were gone. That same user had opened his email from another system that morning and all was there. Accoding to his knowledge he did not delete any contacts. He is working directly off the Exchange 2000 server. He did not have any contacts in his deleted items to restore. My server retention policy is set to 5 days. It seams that I may have no choice but to restore from backup, which I haven't done before either. I know there are tools like Powercontrols from ontrack that might help me but Windows Backup wants to ...

Styles for chart
Hello every one, I am wondering if it is possible to create style for chats. For example i want to create styles so for each chart i can apply directly the style (say TitleStyle for titles, Axisstyle for axis, legendstyle for legends and so forth). Or is there another way to make charts consistents instead of doing it manually. Thank you in advance for the support ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Start with a chart with required format Right click on ...

Opportunity Attributes Going Blank after Save
I have a problem where attributes are clearing out after saving an opportunity record. There is not an On Save event enabled and the On Load has been disabled to see if that would fix it. When you save within the opportunity, the data stays on the screen, but is not saving to the database. Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this? -- Susan Eckles Power Time Corporation This is usually caused by a SQL problem preventing the data from been saved - if you look at the Event Logs on both the CRM Server and SQL Server, there should be an error entry with some further det...

cannot go offline
When I try to go offline with the SFO client I get a "CRM for Outlook cannot go Offline. The Microsoft CRM server was not found." I can access clients and accounts from SFO but cannot go offline. I am evaluating MSCRM and have Virtual PC installed on a local PC. I installed WXP sp1 Office 2003. Could this be a problem? Everything else in SFO seems to be working. Thanks in advance There are many flaws with SFO in the current version, and many reasons why you may not be able to go offline. The Outlook integration is being totally re-done for the next release of CRM (ve...

xp style
Hello, I have a program with an own GUI lib. The classes are derivide from the MFC classes. To control the memory usage - I use the windows task manager with the GDI-Object column. I open a frame from my dispatcher and close the frame. With Theme: 'Windows Classic', - all the addional create GDI-Objects of the frame are killed after I close the frame. With Theme: 'XP Style' - there are addional GDI-Objects after every open+close the frame. Does anybody know what to do ? Thanks Frank Iversen >I open a frame from my dispatcher and close the frame. > >With Them...

Emails sent to Dist List do not go to all Members
Hello! New job, and company is running Exch 5.5 due to UK Corp/HQ decision. When emails are sent to a certain group as an entry in a list of recipients, not all members of the group receive the email. If the email is sent just to the group all members of the group receive the email. Any suggestions? Thanks, Bon Does this happen every time? Or did someone send a message to some users and the group, and people in the group claimed they didn't get the email, then you sent a message to the group alone, and sure enough, they all got it. Here's what to do- do nothing, when a...

can't use Windows Mail
I have a yahoo.co.uk e-mail address and have used Windows Mail in conjunction with that e-mail address for a long time now. Two days ago it suddenly decided that it required me to sign in to be able to retrieve/send my mail. I have entered my username and the correct password in a whole heap of different ways but it just keeps rejecting anything I type in even though I know that they are correct. I have even checked all the settings against my husband's computer and they are the same other than the username and yet he can still use his Windows Mail account but I can't ...

changing style of legend
I'm trying to change the style of a part of the entry in the legend and to apply the original style - lik in the sheet (with uppercase and other styles what should I do? ...

Using outlook.prf to prevent users from having to go thru the Outlook Setup wizard to find their mailbox
Does any expert have any experience following with the outlook.prf file so that everyone logging into to say a given workstation will not have to go thru the Outlook Setup wizard to find their mailbox? -- Spin I don't use the prf file, but rather the Custom INstallation Wizard from the Office Resource Kit, which creates a MST to alter the default Office Installation. http://www.sessioncomputing.com/applications.htm -- Patrick Rouse Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server http://www.sessioncomputing.com "Spin" wrote: > Does any expert have any experience following with t...