saving word docs to my mac desktop

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Processor: Intel

0
thomas_james

We can't begin to offer help unless you give us complete & accurate
information. For example: Office 2004 will not even run on OS X 10.0, which
is what you claim to have... It requires OS X 10.2.8 or later.

You need to indicate your exact version & update level of Office, OS X &
whatever email program you're actually using. With at least that information
someone may be able to provide suggestions. However, if you're using Yahoo's
web mail you'll probably need to contact their support people.

It is possible, though, that your Normal template really has been infected
by a virus which is being passed on to each new document you create. Do you
have any virus checking software? If not, there are a number of decent
free/shareware apps such as ClamXav. You might look into that.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/30/10 1:52 AM, in article 59bb928d.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"thomas_james@officeformac.com" <thomas_james@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah) Processor: Intel when
> i complete a new word doc on either my iMac or Macbook, then save it to the
> desktop on either machine and open up an email (via my Yahoo account) and
> attempt to attach the newly completed word doc to my email i keep getting a
> message saying that the word doc contains a virus.
>
> know it does'nt contain a virus because i just completed and saved it 2
> minutes earlier.
>
> can anyone please tell me what's happening here and what i need to do to fix
> it?
>
> help!!

0
CyberTaz
5/30/2010 12:09:53 PM
> information. For example: Office 2004 will not even run on OS X 10.0, which <br>
> is what you claim to have... It requires OS X 10.2.8 or later. <br>
> You need to indicate your exact version &amp; update level of Office, OS X &amp; <br>
> whatever email program you're actually using. With at least that information <br>
> someone may be able to provide suggestions. However, if you're using Yahoo's <br>
> web mail you'll probably need to contact their support people. <br>
> It is possible, though, that your Normal template really has been infected <br>
> by a virus which is being passed on to each new document you create. Do you <br>
> have any virus checking software? If not, there are a number of decent <br>
> free/shareware apps such as ClamXav. You might look into that. <br>
> Regards |:>) <br>
> Bob Jones  <br>
> [MVP] Office:Mac <br>
> On 5/30/10 1:52 AM, in article 59bb928d.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;thomas_james@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah) Processor: Intel when <br>
> > i complete a new word doc on either my iMac or Macbook, then save it to the <br>
> > desktop on either machine and open up an email (via my Yahoo account) and <br>
> > attempt to attach the newly completed word doc to my email i keep getting a <br>
> > message saying that the word doc contains a virus. <br>
> > know it does'nt contain a virus because i just completed and saved it 2 <br>
> > minutes earlier.  <br>
> > can anyone please tell me what's happening here and what i need to do to fix <br>
> > it?   <br>
> > help!! <br>

0
thomas_james
5/30/2010 1:02:19 PM
Not sure who you spoke to, but IMHO they have no business being there for
any purpose other than cleaning the carpets or washing windows :-) The
Office software, itself, has absolutely nothing to do with what's happening
& it's *rare* that it ever does. Macs just don't work that way, and even if
the apps were at fault reinstalling Office would just reinstall the problem.

The issue that you're describing is something happening after-the-fact with
the attachment process & is most likely due to one of 2 causes:

1- The webmail software is erroneously generating the virus alert (which is
not at all uncommon with "free" email services), or

2- The files actually are infected or something about their content makes
them appear to be (such as macros, embedded objects, etc.).

.... Neither of which will be affected by reinstalling Office - the programs
do not cause infections nor are they involved with the file after it's been
created. My best guess is that some sort of "security update" has been made
to Yahoo Mail which is responsible for the alerts. The fact that the same
thing is happening with *both* Macs points to that being the case. I'm not
specifically familiar with Yahoo Mail but I'm sure there is some sort of
support available -- check in there for any common issue.

Make sure you are including file name extensions & zip the files before
attaching. If you're concerned about a virus do as I suggested & obtain an
antivirus utility to check the files yourself rather than relying on Yahoo
Mail. If you've received Word documents from PC users a virus could very
well be present on your systems & may have infected your Normal template,
even though the virus may inert. You can test the Normal template as
directed on this link, create a new document using the freshly generated
Normal template & see if it causes the same alert when you attach it.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/30/10 9:02 AM, in article 59bb928d.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"thomas_james@officeformac.com" <thomas_james@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Bob.
>
> Sorry, I made a mistake about the version of my Mac's OS - i'm actually
> running OS X 10.4.11
>
> Based on this info do you have any other ideas?
>
> The weird and annoying thing is that i used to be able to save word docs and
> attach them to emails in Yahoo without any problems.
>
> I saw someone at my local Apple retail store today who suggested deleting my
> Office for Mac software from both the iMac and Macbook and then
> re-installing. Do you know if this is likely to make a difference?
>
> Cheers, Tom.
>
>> We can't begin to offer help unless you give us complete & accurate
>> information. For example: Office 2004 will not even run on OS X 10.0, which
>> is what you claim to have... It requires OS X 10.2.8 or later.
>>
>> You need to indicate your exact version & update level of Office, OS X &
>> whatever email program you're actually using. With at least that information
>> someone may be able to provide suggestions. However, if you're using Yahoo's
>> web mail you'll probably need to contact their support people.
>>
>> It is possible, though, that your Normal template really has been infected
>> by a virus which is being passed on to each new document you create. Do you
>> have any virus checking software? If not, there are a number of decent
>> free/shareware apps such as ClamXav. You might look into that.
>>
>> Regards |:>)
>> Bob Jones
>> [MVP] Office:Mac
>>

>> On 5/30/10 1:52 AM, in article 59bb928d.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
>> "thomas_james@officeformac.com"  wrote:
>>
>>> Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah) Processor: Intel
>>> when
>>> i complete a new word doc on either my iMac or Macbook, then save it to the
>>> desktop on either machine and open up an email (via my Yahoo account) and
>>> attempt to attach the newly completed word doc to my email i keep getting a
>>> message saying that the word doc contains a virus.
>>>
>>> know it does'nt contain a virus because i just completed and saved it 2
>>> minutes earlier.
>>>
>>> can anyone please tell me what's happening here and what i need to do to fix
>>> it?
>>>
>>> help!!

0
CyberTaz

Powerpoint saved as "wmv" problems
I am trying to make an animation using powerpoint, but when I convert my powerpoint into a Windows media video it messes up the timings. The slides appear at a faster rate and the music file is delayed. when I run it in powerpoint it works perfectly but the conversion messes up the timings. How can I fix or make up for the timing adjustment. what software are you using to convert? are you using powerpoint 2010 or another software package? when i insert audio files to set to particular slides i try and insert them on each slide. obviously this wouldnt work if you had one set m...

How do I merge excel information with a word document?
I need to create a way to place excel information into word documents that are already created to. Differant information in differant forms. They are legal forms and would like to insert the data without manually dong so in the document. I'm using Word 2003 and Excel 2003. Any help would be great. I'd use a Mail Merge. See link for more info. http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/ExpressMailMerges.htm Please come back if you have more questions. Barb Reinhardt "Dawn" wrote: > I need to create a way to place excel information into word documents that > are a...

Hyphenation HORROR: the word was-n't
This is a bit ridiculous. Publisher 2003 hyphenated the last word in a paragraph. The paragraph ends with the phrase, and it wasn't. There is a hyphen between the s and the n, and so the last two lines contains the structure: ......., and it was- n't. I selected the bogus word, clicked on Tools, Language, Hyphenation, and then I was given this prompt: Hyphenate Hyphenate at: was-n't *Yes* *No* *Close* When I select No, nothing changes! When I select Yes, it tells me that hyphenation is complete. Ugh. Can anyone give me a clue here to rid myself of this horror? I c...

Newbie ?: Why are there dots between words in my text boxes?
I just started in Publisher and am having trouble finding how to stop from getting dots when I use the space bar in a text box. davehDFW <davehDFW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I just started in Publisher Version number please??? davehDFW wrote: > I just started in Publisher and am having trouble finding how to stop > from getting dots when I use the space bar in a text box. =================================== Try this... Go go...View... deselect...Special Characters. Or...type... Ctrl+Shift+Y -- John Inzer MS Picture It! - Digital Image MVP Di...

FRX Desktop
Using FRX for reports w/ great plains. Another IT Tech, accidently deleted users profile on win2k. Restored the desktop, however now, the default loads, and when I click on the item I want loaded I get the following errors... FRX Desktop - Failed to load company calendar FRX Desktop - Runtime Error '200': Application-defined or object defined error then "Designer FRX Desktop" closes.. HELP.. SOS... ANY suggestions? - Brian IT I have had that come up when the previous fiscal year has not had a year end closing but the last period is marked as closed under Setup->Company-...

saving a spreadsheet with form controls
I smxlsx but an error message comes up requiring I save with a format compatible with the use of macros. The file has several vlookup and if statements, but isn't a huge file, yet when saved as an .xlsm it is 3+ mb's and errors out before it is saved. Any ideas how I can save this as a smaller file since I need to have several users on a shared network access the file without it locking up their systems. ...

Error message when saving edited document in Pub 2002
I have run into a problem. I am using Publisher 2002 in Windows XP and, while trying to edit a document, I am getting an error message that says, "The disk is full trying to write C:\DOCUME~1\..." and the rest of the address. It then says save this file on a different drive and or disk." I have tried various Save As options, but the only thing I can get it to save to is Post Scripts and then I can't find it again when I go looking. I really need some help with this and would appreciate any efforts. Thanks Jim are you trying or attempting to use Publisher on a ...

crazy changes in Word 2000
I know I'm using a really old version, but it's the one my employers installed on my computer. Everything was working ifne, but some things are going crazy. I could finish typing a paragraph, hit enter to start the next one, and the font and size reverts back to the default (which I'm unable to change permanently due to users' security being limited). Also, I opened up a document I'd been working on, and anything that was on the top line of the page has moved in an inch. The tabs are all exactly the same as they were before, and haven't been touched....

Error when I make a copy and paste between 2 doc in publisher
.... ...

Licence Question...Need to Install Office X for Mac on new Mac Pro...
Hi Im trying to install a version of OfficeX on a new Mac Pro at home. This version of OfficeX is already installed on my laptop and my work computer. Do I need to purchase an additional licence to install it on this new Mac Pro computer for my home? If so, is it expensive? Is it like buying a whole new software package or is it just an additional user licence fee? Any help anyone can offer would be most appreciated. Thank you. Hi, I'm no expert in these matters, and I have yet to read the EULA that came with Office, but as far as I know, you will need to get a new license. A new licen...

Saving Animated gifs in an email
I am wanting to know if there is a way to save Animated gifs that come in an email when using Outlook 2003? I can forward the email to Outlook Express and can save them with the animation. In Outlook the only option I have is to save it as a BMP with no animation. Since Outlook 2003 is supposed to be a better program than Outlook Express, I can't figure out why I am unable to save them as gifs with animation. Thanks in advance! Sandra MS Outlook makes it a little more difficult to save embedded graphics like animated gifs. See http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/saveembeddedpic...

Saving Publisher 2007> to open in Publisher 2003
Hi, does anyone know what format I would save a Publisher 2007 file in so that I can open it in Publisher 2003? Thanks 2003 can open 2007 files -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression "Sian" <Sian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E087C0F3-A9FA-4C80-8483-4346735598C8@microsoft.com... > Hi, does anyone know what format I would save a Publisher 2007 file in so > that I can open it in Publisher 2003? > Thanks Than you! Big help thanks, Sian "Rob Giordano (Crash)" wrote: > 2003 can open 2007 files > &...

Word 2003, crashes when trying to "look up" or "researc" a word
Every time I try to right click and "look up," alt +click, or pick a word and go to tools>research, word 2003 crashes. I've attempted to delete registry information and normal.dot, and I've upgraded to SP3, but the problem persists. ...

Word print button
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel When using word to print I would normally use file/print then into the print submenu, however I have only two options under this section of the file menu they are page setup/ print preview. In excel I have pagsetup/ print preview / print and in word if I use cmd p I can access the print dialogue box for the printer. Any ideas as to what is wrong/ <br> Alasdair Hi Alasdair; There most certainly be a Print command in the file menu. Especially if this is a new installation have you fully updated to th...

I'm using FreeTextBox and would like to save the text in a client file.
Is it possible using ASP.Net to download text and save it in a file on the client? That is, open a dialog box asking where to save it and the fillename just like a windows form program. What is the mechanism to do the download? I'm using FreeTextBox and would like to save the text on the client. Is there some sample code that downloads that I can see? Thanks You should be able to force a download dialog using : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260519/en-us (content-disposition header). Note thought that the user will freeely choose where and even if the content...

Inserting a Word doc does not preserve the imported files' layout.
Hi all! I have two Word documents. They both use the same template (.dot). Document 1 is built by managed code in vb. Document 2 is a document manually built - one page only, and has the following "structure": 1. (Topmost) A text box with black fill and white text. 2. (Beneath 1) Two collumns. Left has text only, right has a picture and some text boxes placed on the picture. 3. (Beneath 2) One collumn. Text only. 4. (Beneath 3) A logo 5. (Beneath 4) A text box with black fill and white text. When calling insert file either doing it manually in Word 2002 SP3 (I...

Showing current paragraph style (Word 20007)
As a longtime user of Word, I'm used to seeing the paragraph style displayed at the top of the window. My office has switched to Word 2007 (just in time for Word 2010 to be released!). The current paragraph style no longer seems to be displayed, but only shows if I pull down the style list, and then I have to scroll until I see the highlight. Is there an easier way to make it show? -- Christopher Brewster Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN Message posted via http://www.officekb.com You can add the classic Style dropdown to the QAT. It will then display the style at the insertion...

saving a local standard rate for an enterprise resource
We are using MSP 2003 Server. We have a mix of employees and contractors in the ERP. The employees have a fully loaded standard rate but we do not capture the contractor rate in the ERP. Is there a way for my users to save locally in their project file a standard rate value for the contractors? I have been trying to use the cost rate tables but after I save and close the project and reopen, the rates are gone. any help would be appreciated. If your contractor resources are local, you can keep separate rates. All Enterprise Resource Rates will always be reset when you open ...

Saving document fails due to document being open

Clicking a Like in Windlows Live Mail Desktop
I am running Win 7 Home Premium, IE8 and Windows Live Mail Desktop. Starting today everytime I click a Link in an email I get a box with the link (Example: http://www.wimp.com/solutionoil/) followed by this message "Application Not Found" Is this an error in IE or setting in Win 7 that is incorrect. -- jl Did a System Restore to this morning and the problem was solved. -- jl "Jack" wrote: > I am running Win 7 Home Premium, IE8 and Windows Live Mail Desktop. > > Starting today everytime I click a Link in an email I get a box wi...

IXMLDOMDocument::save question
Hello The save method in IXMLDOMDocument is defined in MSDN as: HRESULT save(VARIANT destination); destination [in] : The type of object to save. This object can represent a file name, an ASP Response object, an XML document object, or a custom object that supports persistence. See Remarks for more information. Remarks: Any other custom COM object that supports QueryInterface for IStream, IPersistStream, or IPersistStreamInit can also be provided here, and the document will be saved accordingly. In the IStream case, the IStream Write method will be called as it saves the document; in the I...

How can I save the color settings on a pivot chart?
I created a pivot chart in excel, but when I change the color or pattern and then change the criteria and change it back it looses the setting changes. Is there a way to stop this from happening? I am using Excel 2003 Loss of formatting is a known problem with pivot charts. There's information in the following MSKB article, suggests recording a macro as you apply the formatting: XL2000: Changing a PivotChart Removes Series Formatting http://support.microsoft.com/?id=215904 Bobbi wrote: > I created a pivot chart in excel, but when I change the color or pattern and > th...

How to inject data in a Word Document
Now... I have a "template" document and I have to programmatically inject some data in some fixed points (I can mark this points with "placeholders" (like #placeholder1#, #placeholder2#...). How can I do this? (now I'm using an RTF document and my program simply search and replace the placeholders, saves and the opens the RTF with Word, but this isn't a real solution) (I'm using MFC, but I don't have problems using Windows API). Bye Max >Now... I have a "template" document and I have to programmatically >inject some data in some fixed point...

Office 97 and 2000 files get saved as temp.
Our network has about 100 pcs with XP Pro with service pack 1. Some of these computers have office 2000 pro or 97 pro.All of the computers are ina domain. We have been having some problems with office in the xp machines that have office 97 or 2000. The problem that we have is that when ever we open up an excel or word document that already excist and that it has been saved and modyfied several times on our shared folders that are on our network drives, when we try to save it, the file gets saved as a temporary file for example 2003.xls~rf397a8570.tmp or 9d651000. I have tried to rei...

Folders saving
In Outlook I use to go to a news group alt.binaries.sound.wav and save some of the wav files in my folder for sound file. But now when go to save more then one file I have go find the folder every time, for every file. I use to go to the folder ones and every time I wanted to save another one it would open to the same folder. Thanks for any help or info. Try posting this to the Operating System group that is appropriate for your version. You will probably get a faster more expert answer by posting in that group than this one. It is not an Outlook problem (by the way, Outlook EXPRESS is th...