Right Click Safari 404 and paste into Word 2008 only showing address

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Example.  I open gmail.com. Right click on the Gmail logo to "copy image"  not the "copy image address" option.  Then, I open Word 2008 and paste.  All I get is the address, not the logo image.   If I repeat and use Text Edit (Apple) instead, it works as expected. Is this a bug with Word? Or am I missing a preference setting here set up by default that needs adjusted?
0
kehrer1701
3/16/2010 2:30:27 PM
mac.office.word 1676 articles. 1 followers. Follow

8 Replies
889 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 29

Apparently it has to do with how Safari populates the Clipboard � I have no
problem pasting the logo with Firefox. Use Edit> Paste Special - Picture in
Word rather than just Paste.

HTH |:>) 
Bob Jones 
[MVP] Office:Mac



On 3/16/10 10:30 AM, in article 59bb553e.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"kehrer1701@officeformac.com" <kehrer1701@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel
> Example.  I open gmail.com. Right click on the Gmail logo to "copy image"  not
> the "copy image address" option.  Then, I open Word 2008 and paste.  All I get
> is the address, not the logo image.   If I repeat and use Text Edit (Apple)
> instead, it works as expected. Is this a bug with Word? Or am I missing a
> preference setting here set up by default that needs adjusted?

0
CyberTaz
3/16/2010 4:32:49 PM
Does this mean this is more of a bug with Safari then??  Is there a way to let MS know (in hopes they might be able to help solve)? <br><br>> Apparently it has to do with how Safari populates the Clipboard &amp;#65533; I have no <br>
> problem pasting the logo with Firefox. Use Edit> Paste Special - Picture in <br>
> Word rather than just Paste. <br>
>  <br>
> HTH |:>)  <br>
> Bob Jones  <br>
> [MVP] Office:Mac <br>
>  <br>
>  <br>
>  <br>
> On 3/16/10 10:30 AM, in article 59bb553e.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;kehrer1701@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
>  <br>
> > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <br>
> > Example.  I open gmail.com. Right click on the Gmail logo to &quot;copy image&quot;  not <br>
> > the &quot;copy image address&quot; option.  Then, I open Word 2008 and paste.  All I get <br>
> > is the address, not the logo image.   If I repeat and use Text Edit (Apple) <br>
> > instead, it works as expected. Is this a bug with Word? Or am I missing a <br>
> > preference setting here set up by default that needs adjusted? <br>
>  <br>
>
0
kehrer1701
3/16/2010 9:43:35 PM
Well, whether it's a bug or not I honestly don't know, but if it is a bug
I'd say it's a bug in Safari. And if I'm right there's nothing MS can do
about it -- Safari is an Apple product.

My reasoning for suspecting Safari is that when I copy the logo using
Firefox than examine the Clipboard the info in the status bar reads;

Clipboard contents: picture

But when I copy it using Safari the status bar just reads;

Clipboard contents:


Regards |:>)
Bob Jones 
[MVP] Office:Mac


On 3/16/10 5:43 PM, in article 59bb553e.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"kehrer1701@officeformac.com" <kehrer1701@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Does this mean this is more of a bug with Safari then??  Is there a way to let
> MS know (in hopes they might be able to help solve)?
> 
>> Apparently it has to do with how Safari populates the Clipboard &#65533; I
>> have no 
>> problem pasting the logo with Firefox. Use Edit> Paste Special - Picture in
>> Word rather than just Paste.
>>  
>> HTH |:>)  
>> Bob Jones  
>> [MVP] Office:Mac
>>  
>>  
>>  
>> On 3/16/10 10:30 AM, in article 59bb553e.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
>> "kehrer1701@officeformac.com"  wrote:
>>  
>>> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor:
>>> Intel 
>>> Example.  I open gmail.com. Right click on the Gmail logo to "copy image"
>>> not 
>>> the "copy image address" option.  Then, I open Word 2008 and paste.  All I
>>> get 
>>> is the address, not the logo image.   If I repeat and use Text Edit (Apple)
>>> instead, it works as expected. Is this a bug with Word? Or am I missing a
>>> preference setting here set up by default that needs adjusted?
>>  
>> 

0
CyberTaz
3/16/2010 10:53:42 PM
Yep:  Safari is putting the picture URL into the clipboard, Firefox is
resolving that and putting the picture on the clipboard.

Not a "bug", it's "working as designed".  That's the way they designed it.
You are using Safari because you like the way they designed it.  If you want
a different design, you have the option of choosing to use a different
browser :-)

In Safari, you would have to choose "Save picture as..." to get a file you
can insert into Word.

Cheers


On 17/03/10 9:53 AM, in article C7C58436.5C617%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net,
"CyberTaz" <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:

> Well, whether it's a bug or not I honestly don't know, but if it is a bug
> I'd say it's a bug in Safari. And if I'm right there's nothing MS can do
> about it -- Safari is an Apple product.
> 
> My reasoning for suspecting Safari is that when I copy the logo using
> Firefox than examine the Clipboard the info in the status bar reads;
> 
> Clipboard contents: picture
> 
> But when I copy it using Safari the status bar just reads;
> 
> Clipboard contents:
> 
> 
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones 
> [MVP] Office:Mac
> 
> 
> On 3/16/10 5:43 PM, in article 59bb553e.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
> "kehrer1701@officeformac.com" <kehrer1701@officeformac.com> wrote:
> 
>> Does this mean this is more of a bug with Safari then??  Is there a way to
>> let
>> MS know (in hopes they might be able to help solve)?
>> 
>>> Apparently it has to do with how Safari populates the Clipboard &#65533; I
>>> have no 
>>> problem pasting the logo with Firefox. Use Edit> Paste Special - Picture in
>>> Word rather than just Paste.
>>>  
>>> HTH |:>)  
>>> Bob Jones  
>>> [MVP] Office:Mac
>>>  
>>>  
>>>  
>>> On 3/16/10 10:30 AM, in article 59bb553e.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
>>> "kehrer1701@officeformac.com"  wrote:
>>>  
>>>> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor:
>>>> Intel 
>>>> Example.  I open gmail.com. Right click on the Gmail logo to "copy image"
>>>> not 
>>>> the "copy image address" option.  Then, I open Word 2008 and paste.  All I
>>>> get 
>>>> is the address, not the logo image.   If I repeat and use Text Edit (Apple)
>>>> instead, it works as expected. Is this a bug with Word? Or am I missing a
>>>> preference setting here set up by default that needs adjusted?
>>>  
>>> 
> 

 --

The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name


0
John
3/16/2010 11:24:01 PM
&quot;Not a &quot;bug&quot;, it's &quot;working as designed&quot;.&quot; <br><br>Not really. When Safari gives you the options to &quot;Copy image&quot; and &quot;Copy image address&quot; and both options do the same thing, then it's a bug, not a deliberate design. It's obvious you dislike Safari, but I also have this issue and we're looking for help, not a discussion on which browser's better.
0
Ikus13
3/17/2010 11:34:24 PM
Well, I can only offer the "possible" as help.

I don't work for Apple, or Microsoft, so I can't change either of the
programs.

Word can't get a picture out of the clipboard if the originating application
doesn't put one there, now can it?

So I offered a work-around: Safari (yes, I do run it...) offers the ability
to save the picture as a file.  If you do that, you can insert that file in
any application, including Word.

Personally, I use FireFox.  I would not go so far as to say that I "dislike"
Safari: I just find that it doesn't meet some of my needs (this is not one
of them...).

There are a variety of websites I go to that work better in FireFox than
they do in Safari.  But for me, the most important feature is the ability to
add Flash Block and Add Block Plus as add-ins.  Safari hangs and crashes
running those blocker applications, and I am on a data-charged account, so
cutting out the megabytes of advertising is important to me.

Microsoft Word uses more advanced engineering to get around this issue.
When you "Copy" in Word, it does not put "anything" on the clipboard, other
than a "menu".  When you paste FROM Word, the destination application finds
on the clipboard a menu of all the formats that Word can make.  It is then
able to select the one it can best use.  If you use Paste Special in a
Microsoft Office application, you will see a list of formats offered,
depending on what you copied.

Next time you're talking to Steve Jobs, you might like to suggest that he
adds that code to Safari.  I am sure Microsoft would sell it to him for a
reasonable price.

Cheers


On 18/03/10 10:34 AM, in article 59bb553e.4@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Ikus13@officeformac.com" <Ikus13@officeformac.com> wrote:

> "Not a "bug", it's "working as designed"."
> 
> Not really. When Safari gives you the options to "Copy image" and "Copy image
> address" and both options do the same thing, then it's a bug, not a deliberate
> design. It's obvious you dislike Safari, but I also have this issue and we're
> looking for help, not a discussion on which browser's better.

 --

The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name


0
John
3/18/2010 10:03:24 AM
To whom is this rant directed & from where are you *quoting*?

Since I appear to be the sole responder I can only assume it's directed
toward me, but there is nothing of the sort contained in either of my
replies. Neither did I express any personal preference, dislike for Safari
nor proclaim any judgments as to which is a better browser. I merely stated
the difference between the 2 in the context of this specific issue.

Further, the only "help" to be offered based on the original question re
pasting into Word -- which was tested & proven effective -- has already been
stated. The valid point made was simply that *if* by anyone's definition it
is a 'bug' in Safari that bug has to be addressed by the developer of that
product. There is nothing I or Microsoft can do about it.

Bottom Line: The solution provided in Word, use Paste Special. If you want
the bug fixed, contact Apple;

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

http://www.apple.com/support/

Good Luck |:>)
Bob Jones 
[MVP] Office:Mac



On 3/17/10 7:34 PM, in article 59bb553e.4@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Ikus13@officeformac.com" <Ikus13@officeformac.com> wrote:

> "Not a "bug", it's "working as designed"."
> 
> Not really. When Safari gives you the options to "Copy image" and "Copy image
> address" and both options do the same thing, then it's a bug, not a deliberate
> design. It's obvious you dislike Safari, but I also have this issue and we're
> looking for help, not a discussion on which browser's better.

0
CyberTaz
3/18/2010 10:44:34 AM
Hi, thank you CyberTaz for the info. I did notify Apple.  I think everyone here appreciates your point of view and suggestions.  I contacted Apple in 3ways, so we will see what happens. <br><br>> To whom is this rant directed &amp; from where are you *quoting*? <br>
>  <br>
> Since I appear to be the sole responder I can only assume it's directed <br>
> toward me, but there is nothing of the sort contained in either of my <br>
> replies. Neither did I express any personal preference, dislike for Safari <br>
> nor proclaim any judgments as to which is a better browser. I merely stated <br>
> the difference between the 2 in the context of this specific issue. <br>
>  <br>
> Further, the only &quot;help&quot; to be offered based on the original question re <br>
> pasting into Word -- which was tested &amp; proven effective -- has already been <br>
> stated. The valid point made was simply that *if* by anyone's definition it <br>
> is a 'bug' in Safari that bug has to be addressed by the developer of that <br>
> product. There is nothing I or Microsoft can do about it. <br>
>  <br>
> Bottom Line: The solution provided in Word, use Paste Special. If you want <br>
> the bug fixed, contact Apple; <br>
>  <br>
> <a href="http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa">http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa</a> <br>
>  <br>
> <a href="http://www.apple.com/support/">http://www.apple.com/support/</a> <br>
>  <br>
> Good Luck |:>) <br>
> Bob Jones  <br>
> [MVP] Office:Mac <br>
>  <br>
>  <br>
>  <br>
> On 3/17/10 7:34 PM, in article 59bb553e.4@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;Ikus13@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
>  <br>
> > &quot;Not a &quot;bug&quot;, it's &quot;working as designed&quot;.&quot; <br>
> >  <br>
> > Not really. When Safari gives you the options to &quot;Copy image&quot; and &quot;Copy image <br>
> > address&quot; and both options do the same thing, then it's a bug, not a deliberate <br>
> > design. It's obvious you dislike Safari, but I also have this issue and we're <br>
> > looking for help, not a discussion on which browser's better. <br>
>  <br>
>
0
kehrer1701
3/18/2010 1:28:09 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces: