Right Click Safari 404 and paste into Word 2008 only showing address

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

Example.  I open gmail.com. Right click on the Gmail logo to "copy image"  not the "copy image address" option.  Then, I open Word 2008 and paste.  All I get is the address, not the logo image.   If I repeat and use Text Edit (Apple) instead, it works as expected. Is this a bug with Word? Or am I missing a preference setting here set up by default that needs adjusted?
0
kehrer1701

Apparently it has to do with how Safari populates the Clipboard � I have no
problem pasting the logo with Firefox. Use Edit> Paste Special - Picture in
Word rather than just Paste.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/16/10 10:30 AM, in article 59bb553e.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"kehrer1701@officeformac.com" <kehrer1701@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Example.  I open gmail.com. Right click on the Gmail logo to "copy image"  not
> the "copy image address" option.  Then, I open Word 2008 and paste.  All I get
> is the address, not the logo image.   If I repeat and use Text Edit (Apple)
> instead, it works as expected. Is this a bug with Word? Or am I missing a
> preference setting here set up by default that needs adjusted?

0
CyberTaz
3/16/2010 4:32:49 PM
> problem pasting the logo with Firefox. Use Edit> Paste Special - Picture in <br>
> Word rather than just Paste. <br>
> HTH |:>)  <br>
> Bob Jones  <br>
> [MVP] Office:Mac <br>
> On 3/16/10 10:30 AM, in article 59bb553e.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;kehrer1701@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <br>
> > Example.  I open gmail.com. Right click on the Gmail logo to &quot;copy image&quot;  not <br>
> > the &quot;copy image address&quot; option.  Then, I open Word 2008 and paste.  All I get <br>
> > is the address, not the logo image.   If I repeat and use Text Edit (Apple) <br>
> > instead, it works as expected. Is this a bug with Word? Or am I missing a <br>
> > preference setting here set up by default that needs adjusted? <br>

0
kehrer1701
3/16/2010 9:43:35 PM
Well, whether it's a bug or not I honestly don't know, but if it is a bug
I'd say it's a bug in Safari. And if I'm right there's nothing MS can do
about it -- Safari is an Apple product.

My reasoning for suspecting Safari is that when I copy the logo using
Firefox than examine the Clipboard the info in the status bar reads;

Clipboard contents: picture

But when I copy it using Safari the status bar just reads;

Clipboard contents:

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/16/10 5:43 PM, in article 59bb553e.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"kehrer1701@officeformac.com" <kehrer1701@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Does this mean this is more of a bug with Safari then??  Is there a way to let
> MS know (in hopes they might be able to help solve)?
>
>> Apparently it has to do with how Safari populates the Clipboard &#65533; I
>> have no
>> problem pasting the logo with Firefox. Use Edit> Paste Special - Picture in
>> Word rather than just Paste.
>>
>> HTH |:>)
>> Bob Jones
>> [MVP] Office:Mac
>>

>> On 3/16/10 10:30 AM, in article 59bb553e.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
>> "kehrer1701@officeformac.com"  wrote:
>>
>>> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor:
>>> Intel
>>> Example.  I open gmail.com. Right click on the Gmail logo to "copy image"
>>> not
>>> the "copy image address" option.  Then, I open Word 2008 and paste.  All I
>>> get
>>> is the address, not the logo image.   If I repeat and use Text Edit (Apple)
>>> instead, it works as expected. Is this a bug with Word? Or am I missing a
>>> preference setting here set up by default that needs adjusted?

0
CyberTaz
3/16/2010 10:53:42 PM
Yep:  Safari is putting the picture URL into the clipboard, Firefox is
resolving that and putting the picture on the clipboard.

Not a "bug", it's "working as designed".  That's the way they designed it.
You are using Safari because you like the way they designed it.  If you want
a different design, you have the option of choosing to use a different
browser :-)

In Safari, you would have to choose "Save picture as..." to get a file you
can insert into Word.

Cheers

On 17/03/10 9:53 AM, in article C7C58436.5C617%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net,
"CyberTaz" <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:

> Well, whether it's a bug or not I honestly don't know, but if it is a bug
> I'd say it's a bug in Safari. And if I'm right there's nothing MS can do
> about it -- Safari is an Apple product.
>
> My reasoning for suspecting Safari is that when I copy the logo using
> Firefox than examine the Clipboard the info in the status bar reads;
>
> Clipboard contents: picture
>
> But when I copy it using Safari the status bar just reads;
>
> Clipboard contents:
>

> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 3/16/10 5:43 PM, in article 59bb553e.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
> "kehrer1701@officeformac.com" <kehrer1701@officeformac.com> wrote:
>
>> Does this mean this is more of a bug with Safari then??  Is there a way to
>> let
>> MS know (in hopes they might be able to help solve)?
>>
>>> Apparently it has to do with how Safari populates the Clipboard &#65533; I
>>> have no
>>> problem pasting the logo with Firefox. Use Edit> Paste Special - Picture in
>>> Word rather than just Paste.
>>>
>>> HTH |:>)
>>> Bob Jones
>>> [MVP] Office:Mac

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John
3/16/2010 11:24:01 PM
&quot;Not a &quot;bug&quot;, it's &quot;working as designed&quot;.&quot; <br><br>Not really. When Safari gives you the options to &quot;Copy image&quot; and &quot;Copy image address&quot; and both options do the same thing, then it's a bug, not a deliberate design. It's obvious you dislike Safari, but I also have this issue and we're looking for help, not a discussion on which browser's better.
0
Ikus13
3/17/2010 11:34:24 PM
Well, I can only offer the "possible" as help.

I don't work for Apple, or Microsoft, so I can't change either of the
programs.

Word can't get a picture out of the clipboard if the originating application
doesn't put one there, now can it?

So I offered a work-around: Safari (yes, I do run it...) offers the ability
to save the picture as a file.  If you do that, you can insert that file in
any application, including Word.

Personally, I use FireFox.  I would not go so far as to say that I "dislike"
Safari: I just find that it doesn't meet some of my needs (this is not one
of them...).

There are a variety of websites I go to that work better in FireFox than
they do in Safari.  But for me, the most important feature is the ability to
add Flash Block and Add Block Plus as add-ins.  Safari hangs and crashes
running those blocker applications, and I am on a data-charged account, so
cutting out the megabytes of advertising is important to me.

Microsoft Word uses more advanced engineering to get around this issue.
When you "Copy" in Word, it does not put "anything" on the clipboard, other
than a "menu".  When you paste FROM Word, the destination application finds
on the clipboard a menu of all the formats that Word can make.  It is then
able to select the one it can best use.  If you use Paste Special in a
Microsoft Office application, you will see a list of formats offered,
depending on what you copied.

Next time you're talking to Steve Jobs, you might like to suggest that he
adds that code to Safari.  I am sure Microsoft would sell it to him for a
reasonable price.

Cheers

On 18/03/10 10:34 AM, in article 59bb553e.4@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Ikus13@officeformac.com" <Ikus13@officeformac.com> wrote:

> "Not a "bug", it's "working as designed"."
>
> Not really. When Safari gives you the options to "Copy image" and "Copy image
> address" and both options do the same thing, then it's a bug, not a deliberate
> design. It's obvious you dislike Safari, but I also have this issue and we're
> looking for help, not a discussion on which browser's better.

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John
3/18/2010 10:03:24 AM
To whom is this rant directed & from where are you *quoting*?

Since I appear to be the sole responder I can only assume it's directed
toward me, but there is nothing of the sort contained in either of my
replies. Neither did I express any personal preference, dislike for Safari
nor proclaim any judgments as to which is a better browser. I merely stated
the difference between the 2 in the context of this specific issue.

Further, the only "help" to be offered based on the original question re
pasting into Word -- which was tested & proven effective -- has already been
stated. The valid point made was simply that *if* by anyone's definition it
is a 'bug' in Safari that bug has to be addressed by the developer of that
product. There is nothing I or Microsoft can do about it.

Bottom Line: The solution provided in Word, use Paste Special. If you want
the bug fixed, contact Apple;

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

http://www.apple.com/support/

Good Luck |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/17/10 7:34 PM, in article 59bb553e.4@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Ikus13@officeformac.com" <Ikus13@officeformac.com> wrote:

> "Not a "bug", it's "working as designed"."
>
> Not really. When Safari gives you the options to "Copy image" and "Copy image
> address" and both options do the same thing, then it's a bug, not a deliberate
> design. It's obvious you dislike Safari, but I also have this issue and we're
> looking for help, not a discussion on which browser's better.

0
CyberTaz
3/18/2010 10:44:34 AM
> Since I appear to be the sole responder I can only assume it's directed <br>
> toward me, but there is nothing of the sort contained in either of my <br>
> replies. Neither did I express any personal preference, dislike for Safari <br>
> nor proclaim any judgments as to which is a better browser. I merely stated <br>
> the difference between the 2 in the context of this specific issue. <br>
> Further, the only &quot;help&quot; to be offered based on the original question re <br>
> pasting into Word -- which was tested &amp; proven effective -- has already been <br>
> stated. The valid point made was simply that *if* by anyone's definition it <br>
> is a 'bug' in Safari that bug has to be addressed by the developer of that <br>
> product. There is nothing I or Microsoft can do about it. <br>
> Bottom Line: The solution provided in Word, use Paste Special. If you want <br>
> the bug fixed, contact Apple; <br>
> Good Luck |:>) <br>
> Bob Jones  <br>
> [MVP] Office:Mac <br>
> On 3/17/10 7:34 PM, in article 59bb553e.4@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;Ikus13@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > &quot;Not a &quot;bug&quot;, it's &quot;working as designed&quot;.&quot; <br>
> > Not really. When Safari gives you the options to &quot;Copy image&quot; and &quot;Copy image <br>
> > address&quot; and both options do the same thing, then it's a bug, not a deliberate <br>
> > design. It's obvious you dislike Safari, but I also have this issue and we're <br>
> > looking for help, not a discussion on which browser's better. <br>

0
kehrer1701

Problem shortcuts in Word

Change in the Way Word is Printing envelopes and Label
Recently I allowed some updates to my computer and my Word program has not been working right since then. The labels are not printing correctly they are now backward and the envelopes print the address backward. Is there some sitting that has been changed or what? -- Charley ...

Copying numbers from Excel to Word
Hi, I have numbers in Excel formated in Hebrew font Narkisim.When I copy them from Excel to Word (2003 and 2007) it converts the numbres to Times New Roman and force them to be formated as ENGLISH charachters instead of HEBREW. Is it a bug? Thank you, Tamir :-) __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4762 (20100111) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com Hi Tamir, If you paste the numbers into a Word range formatted with the Narkisim font, I'd expect them to retain ...

copying and pasting with hidden rows
I insert subtotals to my worksheet. I want to copy this, meaning just the subtotals excluding the hidden rows, how do I do this? thanks, del Use the outlining symbols (to the left) to hide the details (only show the subtotals). Then select what you want to copy Edit|goto|special check visible cells only edit|copy go to the new sheet edit|paste arcticale wrote: > > I insert subtotals to my worksheet. I want to copy this, meaning just the > subtotals excluding the hidden rows, how do I do this? > > thanks, > del -- Dave Peterson thanks. that works. "Dave Peter...

Opening a selected file in Word from MFC app
Hi all, I've a simple app in which the user can select a file from a list. Then I want to open that file, using Word (as it's a Word document). Nothing too scary, but it's got me stumped. I've tried various samples & examples (automation et al) but have got nowhere. It seems to me that if I can simulate the behaviour of the "Run" box (from the Start-> prompt) then I should be able to just throw the file name at it (similar to double-clicking in Explorer) and all will be well. However, nothing works so far. Has anyone out there any advice for me (aside from...

slow address lookup and saving files outlook 2000
Hello Sometimes outlook is very slow on looking up addresses. I write some letters and then hit ctrl + k for lookup. That sometimes takes 30-45 seconds. Same happens sometimes with saving files from e-mails. It takes 30-45 seconds before the drop down menu in the save window is chooseable. We have a 2003 AD with Exchange 2000 Enterpris. Regards Magnus ...

Can't See All of the Global Address Contacts
I am using Outlook 2007. I am attached to our mail server running Microsoft Exchange 2007. A little while back I added many contacts to our server. I have also added a few new users as well. When I look at my global address list in Outlook 2007, the new one's that I have added are not showing. I posted a question about this in newsgroups, and was told that if I turn off Cache Mode, i would probably be able to see all of them. Sure enough, when i turned it off, I was able to see all of the contacts and users in my global address list. I noticed that I started getting a lot more jun...

Exchange 5.5; To Address not last, first
In exchange 5.5 in the global address book all the names are listed as lastname, firstname. How can I make it read firstname then lastname. This for writting emails with outlook. In Administrator, click on OPTIONS-TOOLS and in AUTO-NAMING tab go ahead change the Display Name Generation mike "David Lewis" <*@*.*> wrote in message news:2lin305ntectp47clc85b3ouappdfejqap@4ax.com... > In exchange 5.5 in the global address book all the names are listed > as lastname, firstname. How can I make it read firstname then lastname. > This for writting emails with outlook. ...

email from same domain to an external address
Hi My Exchange 2003 server uses pop3 connector to download email for domain companya.com. I need Exchange to forward all email downloaded for bob@companya.com and all internal email sent to bob@companya.com to bobonsite@companya.com which is NOT collected by Exchange. Please, please can anyone tell me how do I do this? Thanks. Francois You'll have to make Exchange non-authoritative for companya.com. You must edit Recipient Policy for that SMT domain. -- Blog "subject: exchange" http://spaces.msn.com/members/ehlo/ "Francois Searle" <francois@comet-online.c...

how do I copy and paste data with a formula?
I need to create a formula that when an "x" is put in chosen cell, certain information is copied and pasted into new worksheet Report. So far I have created; =if(a1:a100="x", This works to activate formula, but how do I copy and paste particular data inside this formula? Phil What are you doing if X is in the cell? You don't use a formula to "paste". But you could use Find and replace (Ctrl+H) to replace "x" with something else. Or, if that "particular data" is in column C, perhaps your formula should read (and b...

Is there a way to format numbers to show as degrees farenheit?
I am trying to format a list of numbers and have them formated in degrees farenheit...with the little degree symbol at the end of the number...can this be done and if so please tell me how? Many Thanks! Something so simple, but so frustrating! The degrees-sign is, depending on your font, Char(176) or Char(186) You need to get that into the Custom format, after a zero. One way: in a cell, enter =CHAR(176). Copy the cell and paste the symbol into the Type box of the Format Custom dialog. Another way to enter the symbol is to keep the Alt-key pressed while type 0176 on the numeric ...

Transferring from Publisher to Word
Good Morning, I have spent the morning trying to find a way to do this, and can find similar methods, but none that will keep all of the features of my document intact. We have a newsletter that needs to be sent via email, (hence it's publisher existence) and also attached as a document that can be printed in word. Within the document there are text boxes, images and links. All of the ways that I have tried to do this including copying and pasting as a metafile, saving as a word document, etc. do not maintain all of the source information. Does anyone know of another way to d...

filling down or pasting into multiple fields in table entry
Hi all. Hope you can help. I occasionally need to enter info directly into a table. However, when I do, I would like to enter the same value into a large number of fields. It would be nice if I could: copy, highlight the top, say - 50 fields in a column, and then paste the value into all of them in one stroke. However, Access 2003 doesn't allow this. It just puts the value into the first field. Is there a simple way of doing this? Thanks very much - in advance. H. -- Pontins History E-Mail: usenet@pontinshistory.co.uk Please visit www.pontinshistory.co.uk Skype ID (instant messaging ...

drop down list showing only 1 of everything
Hi everyone, basically on one sheet( called data) i have a list of all the data, the first column is the date. On a separate sheet i want to have a drop down list in the cell (A1 for example). however i want the drop down list to show only 1 of each date that was in column A of the data sheet. for example say column A had the folowing dates: 1/1/04 ; 2/1/04 ; 2/1/04 ; 3/1/04 ; 4/1/04 ; 4/1/04 the drop down list on sheet 2 would show the values: 1/1/04 ; 2/1/04 ; 3/4/04 ; 4/4/04 i need some help in doing this and would appreciate any ideas. thank you.... Hi do you need this formul...

Type mismatch error when opening word doc using automation
I get a Type Mismatch error when trying to open word file by using automation. I am using msword.h header from Office 2007 and compiling with VC++ 6.0. CoInitialize(0); _Application oWord ; Documents oDocs; _Document oDoc; COleVariant vOpt(DISP_E_PARAMNOTFOUND, VT_ERROR); //For optional args //Start Word if(!(oWord.CreateDispatch("Word.Application", NULL))) { AfxMessageBox("Error starting Word.", MB_SETFOREGROUND); return 0; } //Open a document oDocs = oWord.GetDocuments(); //error happens on this line oDoc = oDocs.Open(COleVariant("C:\\PROJECTS\\RRD_OFFIC...

How do I get RSS feeds to show up in the Outlook 2003 RSS folder?
I want RSS feed subscriptions to come into my Outlook 2003 RSS folder (at work). I did this at home (same version of Outlook) but can't remember how. I subscribe to FeedDemon but was hoping to not have to open a separate program to see my RSS feeds. ...

contact information is missing in my address book
I have added new contacts in my contacts directory, but they do not show in my address book, but all of the older conacts do. The additions are all there when I check my contact listing... Any ideas? Do you have more than one contact-type folder? "Gino" <Gino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:39331585-FC05-4C5F-B2A0-BBBBF77A3E18@microsoft.com... >I have added new contacts in my contacts directory, but they do not show in > my address book, but all of the older conacts do. The additions are all > there > when I check my contact listing... Any ide...

Check Store
Hi all, would appreciate any advice on this unusual incident. Problem. At store no. 1, when you invoked the 'check store' button, the 'check store' windows display the quantity at store 1 is "n/a'. When we check the quantity of that item at store no 1, there is a quantity of 10. How did this happen? Store no 2 created a transfer out. It synchronised with HQ. It was approved. Synchronised with Store no 1. Staff at Store No 1 open up the tranfer-in windows and performed a commit. Transfer-In status is now closed. Staff wanted to print labels but somehow the ...

OFFLINE ADDRESS BOOK SECURITY ISSUE
Hello. I am running Exchange 2003 SP2 on Windows 2003 R2. I have multiple GALs in order to secure off certain employees, and that works just fine; users only see the people in their GAL. The problem I have is that when I configure offline folders, users can see EVERYONE. I have secured the OAB and the GAL so that only the respective security groups can see their address list, but the OAB doesn't seem to respect those permissions. I have also set the UseOAB property through adsiedit, but it still doesn't work. Any suggestions? The global address list is a compilation of eve...

Word Attachment generates error from paint??
Help, One of my teachers clicks on a .doc attachment in Outlook 2k, and gets the following error: Paint cannot read this file. This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported. Windows XP Pro is the OS. HELP! The icon on the attachment is for a word document, so why is paint tyring to get in the process?? Steve In news:1126886531.056414.95120@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, w5en@cox.net <w5en@cox.net> typed: > Help, > One of my teachers clicks on a .doc attachment in Outlook 2k, and gets > the following error: Paint cannot read this file. This i...

Is Exchange the right server?
My wife is a sales rep and I am a consultant. We both want to "share" our Outlook calendars with each other. Is Exchange the right server for us? If not, what is? Thanks! Steve gfr92 at yahoo dot com You can look at hosted Exchange - many service providers can provide you hosted Exchange mailboxes for a very low monthly cost. Alternatively, you can probably look at online services that provide such functionality at a very nominal cost, if not free. If all you want to do is share Calendars between 2 users, Exchange is an overkill, imo. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zen...

Groups with external addresses
I have groups with internal addresses such as leaders@ourdomain.com. They have personal external addresses such as name@otherdomain.com. When mail is sent to leaders@ourdomain.com, I need it to go to there personal addresses. Is there a way to do this with Exchange 2000? My domain is very simple and consist of: One site running one Windows 2000 SBS with Exchange Server 2000 Thanks in advance: Mark Daly You will need to create a mail-enabled contact for 'leaders@otherdomain.com' and add that contact as a member of the distribution group 'leaders@ourdomain.com'. "Mar...

Address spoofing using SMTP commands in internal 5.5 server
We have an Internal Mail server running on the following platform NT4.0 SP6a Exchange 5.5/SP4. Norton Antivirus for mail and OS level protection. We have noticed that its possible to open a telnet session on SMTP port "25" and run SMTP commands like "MAIL FROM: xyz@hotmail.com" and submit messages to any internal address of the mail server. This has led to a lot of security concerns ,because any smart user can submit messages with a spoofed address. Please let us know if there is a way to prevent this on our exchange 5.5 Mail server? -SP Hi, What you pro...

How to delete Macro (double click on form field event)
I did a macro and now want to delete it. The macro opens frmDetails when the client double clicks on a field in frmQuickView I've clicked on View | Code and then clicked on frmQuickView but can't find the code for the Macro or how to delete it. thanks for any help. Mel Woops! I see it.Click on Macro's in the design window and hit delete. Sorry gang. ...

Over-Eager code is pasting too many times
The code is running on the activeworkbook, where data is in rows A:G. An identifier for the provisional start of each record is in col A (defined as "A" & Cell.Row). User can identify records to be copied using A, B , C etc in cols I to J in Cell.Row So, having found a record ("A" & Cell.Row) I now check to see if the range(("H" & Cell.Row, "J" & Cell.Row) contains any user tags, and if so, then copy the record to the destination Workbooks("Sorted_Tagged " & x(4) & ".xls"). _ Worksheets(TagCell.Value) fo...