revision lines on Word

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I need to show when text is revised by inserting a line in the left margin. This works ok on text, and has worked with tables and ToC in past versions (2004 for Mac). Now in the new version it causes formatting chaos. <br>
I draw a line in the left margin of a page with a table and  when the mouse is released the line a) disappears, or b) jumps up to the previous page, or c) jumps over into the table and displaces the contents downward off the page. <br>
I am not using the Track Changes feature. <br>
What do I try next?
0
techwrite

If you don't want to use Track Changes I'd suggest using Format> Borders &
Shading. Apply a paragraph border to the left side only. Drawn floating
graphics in a document still undergoing revision is bound to fail.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/22/10 1:52 PM, in article 59bb5b7d.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"techwrite@officeformac.com" <techwrite@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I need to show when text is revised by inserting a line in the left margin.
> This works ok on text, and has worked with tables and ToC in past versions
> (2004 for Mac). Now in the new version it causes formatting chaos.
> I draw a line in the left margin of a page with a table and  when the mouse is
> released the line a) disappears, or b) jumps up to the previous page, or c)
> jumps over into the table and displaces the contents downward off the page.
> I am not using the Track Changes feature.
> What do I try next?

0
CyberTaz
3/22/2010 10:05:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. Use of the Format>Borders works on the ToC, but means that the revision line is limited in its left-right positioning. I cannot get this method to work beside tables - the lines in the table change to a finer size or disappear. <br><br>For many years, using Word 2004 version 11.5.6 (Mac OS 10.4.11) I have been able to add this revision line with the line drawing tool. But now with Word 2008 version 12.2.4 it goes haywire adjacent to tables. I took my file to a PC with a recent version of Word and there were no problems with using the line drawing tool � that editor has always used that method. As a work around solution I have cranked up my old computer to work on these files. I have done the 'Track Changes' tutorial to see if there is stuff I have missed. <br><br>Background: I compile technical manuals for the aviation industry. They are very traditional to standards set by the US and Britain 50+ years ago. A change to a document is shown by a vertical line in the left margin and the page date is then changed. Every change has to be approved by a government inspector. This method allows the inspector and the technical staff to readily see that there is a change to the procedure.  <br><br>As you can see, changing this procedure is not an option. If I can't provide this service, then my clients will go elsewhere - or I switch to another program that will. There must be other tech editors out there who have to conform to standards set by government or industry - how do you deal with this problem?
0
techwrite
3/25/2010 10:09:23 PM
Yeah, ya gotta do what ya gotta do :-) But I believe the main source of
consternation may simply stem from the default wrapping. See how it works if
you go to Word> Preferences> Edit & change the default Text Wrap
('Insert/paste pictures as:') to In Front of Text or Behind Text.

If that works for you it might not be a bad idea to add a formatted vertical
line to the Scrapbook so you can just drag one into the document when you
need it. Ordinarily I'd suggest doing it by way of AutoText but that would
require disturbing the content in order to insert it when needed. Then you'd
still have to move it. By adding one to the Scrapbook you can just put it
right into the margin where you want it & resize as necessary.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/25/10 6:09 PM, in article 59bb5b7d.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"techwrite@officeformac.com" <techwrite@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. Use of the Format>Borders works on the ToC, but means
> that the revision line is limited in its left-right positioning. I cannot get
> this method to work beside tables - the lines in the table change to a finer
> size or disappear.
>
> For many years, using Word 2004 version 11.5.6 (Mac OS 10.4.11) I have been
> able to add this revision line with the line drawing tool. But now with Word
> 2008 version 12.2.4 it goes haywire adjacent to tables. I took my file to a PC
> with a recent version of Word and there were no problems with using the line
> drawing tool � that editor has always used that method. As a work around
> solution I have cranked up my old computer to work on these files. I have done
> the 'Track Changes' tutorial to see if there is stuff I have missed.
>
> Background: I compile technical manuals for the aviation industry. They are
> very traditional to standards set by the US and Britain 50+ years ago. A
> change to a document is shown by a vertical line in the left margin and the
> page date is then changed. Every change has to be approved by a government
> inspector. This method allows the inspector and the technical staff to readily
> see that there is a change to the procedure.
>
> As you can see, changing this procedure is not an option. If I can't provide
> this service, then my clients will go elsewhere - or I switch to another
> program that will. There must be other tech editors out there who have to
> conform to standards set by government or industry - how do you deal with this
> problem?

0
CyberTaz
3/26/2010 10:53:23 AM
Thanks Bob, that has put me on the right track. Have been trying all the combinations you suggested. The Text Wrap seems to be the best - I had tried some of that but didn't seem to get the desired results. <br>
Use of the Scrapbook for this was a new one for me. Many thanks. <br>
Have learned more about Word in a few weeks from reading your columns than all the times I tried the built-in Help!
0
techwrite

grid lines #3
My Excel spreadsheets have a white background, black text and grey grid lines. If I change the background color of a few cells to highlight some data, then change it back to white, the grid lines disappear. Using FORMAT, CELLS, BORDERS, INSIDE seems to draw lines, not restore grid lines. Is there a way to restore the grid lines? Instead of white, change the cells back to "No Color". In article <c83301c438eb$e2891080$a101280a@phx.gbl>, "David McColloch" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > My Excel spreadsheets have a white background, ...

Word
Whenever I run Word 2007 and use its Theasaurus, it freezes. I am running WIndows 7 - 64 bit. Besides not using the theasaurus (lol) how can I prevent this from happening? TIA ...

manually displaying on the next line
How do I manually display words on the next line inside a cell? I always put extra spaces until the word is shifted to the next lnie. (Not using 'wrap' option and adjust the width of a cell) Albert, alt + enter will move your cursor to the next line. Cesar Zapata Albert Byun wrote: > How do I manually display words on the next line inside a cell? > I always put extra spaces until the word is shifted to the next lnie. > (Not using 'wrap' option and adjust the width of a cell) > > ...

Perpendicular distance from linear regression line to a point?
Hi all, First post for me on here, I have also posted this on the excel charting group. I have some Excel charts, with least squares fit lines through the data. On each chart I have a single extra data point (it's own series) and I want to know the perpendicular distance from the line to this point. This is a physical distance in the real world, as my axes are both in milimeters but to different scales. Thanks for any help. --Winny Winny, The distance from point (X', Y') to line Ax + By + C = 0 is =ABS((AX'+BY'+C) / SQRT(A^2 + B^2)) Often, line equations are writt...

Converting Numbers to words
I preapre inovices using Excel. I have to put the total amount in words I want to convert number to words. Example If cell A1 contains134.65 then in another cell (say B1) it should be Rupees One Hundred Thirty Four and Paise Sixty Five only (Please note the currency..Rupees, Paise and also "only" at the end) Can nay one help? seena Two sources of routines to convert numbers to words are: http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/ValueToWords.htm http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/213360 You should be able to modify one of those to add Rupees, Paise and only. If not, let us know whi...

Establishing most common word in an Excel column
Using Office 2003. In my weatherstation data, [very long listings over 12 months x 4 readings per day ], the wind's direction changes are listed as:- NORTH, NE,SE,SE,EAST,ENE,WSW,SOUTH,SE,EAST, NW, WNW, and so on. I would like to find a formula that will tell me the most prolific word in the column list. I hope that someone can help me here. Thanks and kind regards, Brymor Can there be moe than one word in a single cell? -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201001 "Brymor" wrote: > Using Office 2003. > In my weatherstation data, [very long listings ...

Can't open Word 2008 in another user account
With Office 2008 12.1.5 (OS X 10.5.6, MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz), if I log into a secondary user account and try to open Word, as soon as I press Continue, I get the error message, "Microsoft Office Setup Assistant has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." In the same user account, Word 2004 works fine, and in my primary user account, Word 2008 works fine too. I have searched and found similar problems and solutions suggested but none that seem to apply to this situation, and would appreciate any help. Thank you, Charles P.S. ...

How can I setup a command line or something to automatically repai
Hi. I would like to setup some kind of mini backup solution to make a copy of my back-end MDB file and if it possible to repair it. I was thinking to have something in the windows schedule to run it at night or something? Is there anything? Regards, Marco "Marco" <Marco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5ACE5FC-C014-4CF2-85C7-1E80B4FFACD2@microsoft.com... > Hi. I would like to setup some kind of mini backup solution to make a copy > of > my back-end MDB file and if it possible to repair it. > > I was thinking to have something in the windo...

Word in 2008 Office installed but won't open
Hi, i installed Student Teacher Office 2008 for Mac on my g-5, That worked fine. When I installed it (new product key) on the laptop, the program won't open. It says thread 0 crashed and apologizes. I'm stuck. I have no word processing now, as I deleted the old programs during the install. When I tried to reinstall 2008, the program used the already installed program somehow, although I had trashed it, and didn't reinstall anything. what I want to do, I think, is delete 2008 and reinstall X and 2004, as my 2004 is an upgrade.<br> <br> Help. <sisterink@officeformac.c...

Switching words within cells #2
Is it possible to switch words within cells. For example if I have Alexander Todd in cell A1, can I change it to Todd Alexander? Thanks for the help! see your last post >-----Original Message----- >Is it possible to switch words within cells. For example if I have Alexander >Todd in cell A1, can I change it to Todd Alexander? Thanks for the help! >. > ...

Fix the Purchase Line Comment data fields in Report Writer
Table POP10550 contains Purchase Order Line Comments. When a comment is entered for a line on a PO, a record is written to this table, spread out over 5 fields: CMMTTEXT - contains the full text of the comment COMMENT_1 - contains the first 50 characters (or thereabouts) of the comment COMMENT_2 - contains the next 50 characters (or thereabouts) of the comment COMMENT_3 - contains the next 50 characters (or thereabouts) of the comment COMMENT_4 - contains the next 50 characters (or thereabouts) of the comment I say "or thereabouts" because the system is smart enough to break the...

Delete contact in Word
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC I purchased Word, not Office, so I don't have Entourage. How do I delete a contact in the Office Address Book? ...

Using Office 2007 to open 2003 Word document
I just installed Office 2007. When I opened any Word 2003 document, the formatting seems to be all skewered. For example, a page breaks off in the middle, and a five page document becomes five and half. Will someone please tell how to us Word 2007 in opening a Word 2003 document without losing the formatting in the original Word 2003 document? (My previous question was not clear enough). Is the same printer set as the default printer? Does the document use any Styles that are formatted differently in Word2007 from what they were in Word2003? On Mar 9, 11:42=A0pm, Dumbbell ...

Automation of Excel Data to Word (ref: Galimi answers)
I have had great help with Galimi for this process (as I am still learning VBA). I do not quite understand this code: Sub moveToWord() Set x = CreateObject("Word.Application") x.Documents.Add x.Visible = True For Each cl In Selection z = z & cstr(cl.value) Next x.Selection.TypeText CStr(z) End Sub What does the Z represent? Also, I need to not select everything in the worksheet, I just need to get portion of the data. So it is not every cell. How do I pre-define a selection?/ Thanks z is just a variable that the...

Outlook 2003 and Word 2002 #2
We're running Office 2002 (XP) but have upgraded Outlook to Outlook 2003, most things work fine but selecting "Send To - Mail recipient" from inside Word gives the error "Word could not load the email envelope" Send To - Mail Recipient (as attachment) works OK. The problem also seems to be present in Excel too, is there any way to get Office XP apps to work with Outlook 2003? Thanks ...

Why must I agree to a EULA each time I open MS Word?
Every time I open an Office 2003 program, I am presented with a EULA to agree to first! I have activated the MS Office programs on my new computer and am told the activation has been completed! -- ah "ah" <ah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:954FA1D7-C6DF-4FCA-AEB9-034F2F6E5808@microsoft.com... > Every time I open an Office 2003 program, I am presented with a EULA to > agree > to first! I have activated the MS Office programs on my new computer and > am > told the activation has been completed! Version of Windows? ...

Word cannot start the converter mswrd632
When I opened a Word 2007 file that I have not used in several months, the following error appeared in a dialog box: Word cannot start the converter mswrd632 I closed the box and was able to open the file, which so far works fine, except that in web layout view alone, the cursor does not show in the screen What should I do to correct these two problems. -- MZ Hi, There was nearly identical question very recently. See http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=&cr=&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.word.application.errors...

Can you sum the amount of type a word appears?
Trying to sum the about of type a risk is open....So i need a statement to say =SumIF(A1;A6=open,dont count)??? Sorted it - should have used Count If =COUNTIF(B16:B4000,"*Open") "Scott_goddard" wrote: > Trying to sum the about of type a risk is open....So i need a statement to say > > =SumIF(A1;A6=open,dont count)??? Use the countif function. countif(a1:a6,"open") "Scott_goddard" wrote: > Trying to sum the about of type a risk is open....So i need a statement to say > > =SumIF(A1;A6=open,dont count)??? ...

command line script for printing MS Excel 2000 document.
I am looking for a way to schedule an Excel Document to automatically print using the scheduled Tasks of Windows XP. I can't for the life of me figure out if a command line switch exists for doing such a thing, and was wondering if anyone has been able to do this. Thanks for your thoughts. Michael Stavropoulos buystuff@comcast.net ...

How do I select records were a field contains a key word??
I have a field named [Comments], a text field. I want to create a query that selects records that contain the word "Not" somewhere (anywhere) in the field. Is this possible? OldEd OldManEd wrote: > I have a field named [Comments], a text field. I want to create a > query that selects records that contain the word "Not" somewhere > (anywhere) in the field. Is this possible? > > OldEd .... WHERE Comments Like "* not *" -- Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP Email (as appropriate) to... RBrandt at Hunter dot com Thanks, that worked....

Word 08 shuts down

Word 2007 Reviewer question
Hi there Sorry, this is a duplicate question to the one I posted in the Office area before, but I put my original question there by mistake. I have a problem with someone I support where she is adding comments into a word doc as a reviewer ... When she adds the comment in word flags it as Reviewer and marks the comment as R1 R2 etc. But when she saves the document when she is done Word changes it to Author and marks the comments as A1 A2 etc ... this of course makes her comments hard to find. Do you have any suggestions where I might look to fix this? many thanks Chris ...

Select Words Specific Style Only
Hi Word Users: Word 2007 I have a long word document, which is a 10K (Annual Report) SEC Filing that I need to outline. The document in its current form does not have any structure or numbering or assigned headings. I want to simultaneously select all the words or sentences that are bold, italic, or contain the word =93item=94. Then paste onto a new document with existing format. I need to exclude any tables. Any help with a macro or wildcard find replace would be most useful. Thanks, Robb Hmmm. If you are going to process this document and extract the items in the ...

Mail enabling users from command line
I know I read this somewhere but between the stack of books and the misleading web pages I need some help.I'm running exchange 2003 on 2003 server. Just looking to find out what exe file I need to run to simply mail enable a user from the command line. Anyone? "Andrew Evans" <aevans@wbmg.com> wrote in news:085a01c46e65$f8ee1000 $a401280a@phx.gbl: > I know I read this somewhere but between the stack of > books and the misleading web pages I need some help.I'm > running exchange 2003 on 2003 server. Just looking to find > out what exe file I need to ...

won't add words to dictionary
I am using Outlook 2007. I have a custom dictionary to use and I have "suggest from main dictionary only" unchecked. How do I get the spell checker to allow me to add a word to the dictionary (the button is grayed out)? The custom dictionary is: "Custom.dic" in "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Microsoft\Proof", all languages, and set to default (this one has words listed from my previous version of MSOffice and is longer). I also have "Custom.dic" in "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Microsoft\UProof", all la...