revision lines on Word

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I need to show when text is revised by inserting a line in the left margin. This works ok on text, and has worked with tables and ToC in past versions (2004 for Mac). Now in the new version it causes formatting chaos. <br>
I draw a line in the left margin of a page with a table and  when the mouse is released the line a) disappears, or b) jumps up to the previous page, or c) jumps over into the table and displaces the contents downward off the page. <br>
I am not using the Track Changes feature. <br>
What do I try next?
0
techwrite

If you don't want to use Track Changes I'd suggest using Format> Borders &
Shading. Apply a paragraph border to the left side only. Drawn floating
graphics in a document still undergoing revision is bound to fail.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/22/10 1:52 PM, in article 59bb5b7d.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"techwrite@officeformac.com" <techwrite@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I need to show when text is revised by inserting a line in the left margin.
> This works ok on text, and has worked with tables and ToC in past versions
> (2004 for Mac). Now in the new version it causes formatting chaos.
> I draw a line in the left margin of a page with a table and  when the mouse is
> released the line a) disappears, or b) jumps up to the previous page, or c)
> jumps over into the table and displaces the contents downward off the page.
> I am not using the Track Changes feature.
> What do I try next?

0
CyberTaz
3/22/2010 10:05:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. Use of the Format>Borders works on the ToC, but means that the revision line is limited in its left-right positioning. I cannot get this method to work beside tables - the lines in the table change to a finer size or disappear. <br><br>For many years, using Word 2004 version 11.5.6 (Mac OS 10.4.11) I have been able to add this revision line with the line drawing tool. But now with Word 2008 version 12.2.4 it goes haywire adjacent to tables. I took my file to a PC with a recent version of Word and there were no problems with using the line drawing tool � that editor has always used that method. As a work around solution I have cranked up my old computer to work on these files. I have done the 'Track Changes' tutorial to see if there is stuff I have missed. <br><br>Background: I compile technical manuals for the aviation industry. They are very traditional to standards set by the US and Britain 50+ years ago. A change to a document is shown by a vertical line in the left margin and the page date is then changed. Every change has to be approved by a government inspector. This method allows the inspector and the technical staff to readily see that there is a change to the procedure.  <br><br>As you can see, changing this procedure is not an option. If I can't provide this service, then my clients will go elsewhere - or I switch to another program that will. There must be other tech editors out there who have to conform to standards set by government or industry - how do you deal with this problem?
0
techwrite
3/25/2010 10:09:23 PM
Yeah, ya gotta do what ya gotta do :-) But I believe the main source of
consternation may simply stem from the default wrapping. See how it works if
you go to Word> Preferences> Edit & change the default Text Wrap
('Insert/paste pictures as:') to In Front of Text or Behind Text.

If that works for you it might not be a bad idea to add a formatted vertical
line to the Scrapbook so you can just drag one into the document when you
need it. Ordinarily I'd suggest doing it by way of AutoText but that would
require disturbing the content in order to insert it when needed. Then you'd
still have to move it. By adding one to the Scrapbook you can just put it
right into the margin where you want it & resize as necessary.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/25/10 6:09 PM, in article 59bb5b7d.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"techwrite@officeformac.com" <techwrite@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. Use of the Format>Borders works on the ToC, but means
> that the revision line is limited in its left-right positioning. I cannot get
> this method to work beside tables - the lines in the table change to a finer
> size or disappear.
>
> For many years, using Word 2004 version 11.5.6 (Mac OS 10.4.11) I have been
> able to add this revision line with the line drawing tool. But now with Word
> 2008 version 12.2.4 it goes haywire adjacent to tables. I took my file to a PC
> with a recent version of Word and there were no problems with using the line
> drawing tool � that editor has always used that method. As a work around
> solution I have cranked up my old computer to work on these files. I have done
> the 'Track Changes' tutorial to see if there is stuff I have missed.
>
> Background: I compile technical manuals for the aviation industry. They are
> very traditional to standards set by the US and Britain 50+ years ago. A
> change to a document is shown by a vertical line in the left margin and the
> page date is then changed. Every change has to be approved by a government
> inspector. This method allows the inspector and the technical staff to readily
> see that there is a change to the procedure.
>
> As you can see, changing this procedure is not an option. If I can't provide
> this service, then my clients will go elsewhere - or I switch to another
> program that will. There must be other tech editors out there who have to
> conform to standards set by government or industry - how do you deal with this
> problem?

0
CyberTaz
3/26/2010 10:53:23 AM
Thanks Bob, that has put me on the right track. Have been trying all the combinations you suggested. The Text Wrap seems to be the best - I had tried some of that but didn't seem to get the desired results. <br>
Use of the Scrapbook for this was a new one for me. Many thanks. <br>
Have learned more about Word in a few weeks from reading your columns than all the times I tried the built-in Help!
0
techwrite

lines in the corners
How do I get rid of lines that appear in the corner of the page when I print? In the print dialogue, Advanced Print Settings, Page settings tab, clear crop marks. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "ComputerQuestion" <ComputerQuestion@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62D4A5FC-678D-4DC7-81CE-529543E164CB@microsoft.com... > How do I get rid of lines that appear in the corner of the page when I print? ...

'Some' Word files suddently corrupted
Just today, when I attempted to open some older MS Word (2003) files (in MS Word 2003), a dialog box appeared requesting the type of encoding required. The text appeared all jumbled and included numerous meaningless characters, rather than the original English text. I had recently installed OpenOffice 3.1 in an attempt to open some older OpenOffice documents. I uninstalled OpenOffice but the problem remains? What has happened and is there a reasonable 'cure?' Do the file icons appear to be different than what they were before? It may be that the file association has been...

Problem opening up current Excel wksht to mail merge in Word
Hi, I have Microsoft 2007. I created a list in Excel with clients' name, address, city, state, zip. Then, in Word I go to Select Recipients, locate the Excel file and click open. Here's the problem: a Select Table box appears with Sheet1$, Sheet2$, and Sheet3$ as options. clicking on any of the three results in NOTHING. Nothing at all appears! I'm not sure what the problem might be. Thank you for the help! Rachelle ...

Line-break in a cell without ALT-ENTER?
Is there a way to do this? I would like to make it so when the user hits "ENTER", it doesn't go to the next cell. I want it to just make a line-break in the cell. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You could use a couple of macros, but before you do that, how would you really hit the enter key? I think I wouldn't really do this, but if had to, I'd remap the enter key from the numeric keyboard only. Then I could still use the QWER...

A SQL error has occurred. Going off line with Outlook CRM 4.
I have seen this in multiple workstations. Running the diagnostics, does not report any errors, however removing the temprary data under advenced fixes the problem by deleting the content of the off line database. The problem with this fix is that it may take up to 12 hours for some of our overseas employees to do their initial off line. When is SP1 due? ...

Deleting Blank lines with VBA
Help I have a macro that runs multiple formulas. However, when the formulas are finished I am left with about 64000 blank lines. I am unable to insert a row on the worksheets as I get a Run-Time Error 1004 (Try to locate the last Nonblank Cell using CTRL-END). Here is a same of some of the formulas I am running ( the macro is very large). ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="TrunkFormulaI", RefersToR1C1:="=Trunks!R1C27" ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="TrunkFormulaJ", RefersToR1C1:="=Trunks!R1C28" ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="TrunkFormulaK&qu...

How do I add an indicator line to a Gantt chart in excel?
I have created a Gantt chart in Excel. I would like to indicate a specific date - most of the time today's date - by a vertical line showing how many days have passed and how many yet to go for specific tasks. I have attempted to create an 'XY graph' on top of the bar/Gantt chart, but the two do not seem to be compatible. Hi, See my examples of various ways of adding a datum line to a chart. I'm pretty sure one of the techniques should work for you. http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy Steve wrote: > I have created a Gantt chart in Excel. I...

In-Line Graphics in Pub2002
I have a group of several objects that I want to float with text. The option to do this is grayed out when the objects are grouped, I have to ungroup the objects and float them separately. Is there any way around this? Thx Hi SLS (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I have a group of several objects that I want to float || with text. The option to do this is grayed out when the || objects are grouped, I have to ungroup the objects and || float them separately. Is there any way around this? You could group the objects, Right Click on the group of ob...

Excel Charts in Word
I have a word report I need to do every month. The data and charts are in excel and the data changes monthly. How do I get the excel charts linked into a word document so that when I enter the new data in the excel spreadsheet that is automaitically updated in the report in the word docuemnt? Thanks Copy the Excel chart. In Word, use Edit menu > Paste Special, and select the Paste Link option. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Marc" <Marc@discussions.microso...

Problem linking excel charts in word
I have linked an excel chart into a word document by pasting special as a link. It looks fine when I paste it. I close the application and when I open it again the chart is cut off on the left, and sometimes at the top. It's as if the chart itself is off the edge of the frame it is sitting in. The chart in excel is perfectly OK. I can edit the excel chart, and edits are updated in the word document when links are updated, but it doesn't change the position of teh chart, so it's still cutting off part of the chart. The chart is on it's own sheet rather than being i...

Two users on a network editing documents simultaneously in word 20
My office just upgraded from Word 2003 to Word 2007. We are on a network and share access to Word files. In Word 2003, if one user tried to open a file in which another user was working, a message would appear stating that the file was "locked for editing by (user)." It seems that with Word 2007, any user can open a file (and edit it) while another user is doing so as well. We do not want this to be the case, and just want the settings to be as they were with Word 2003 (i.e. if a document is in use, another user cannot access it simultaneously). Ideally, we'd lik...

Extracting a word from a long text field
I have a text field (up to 200 characters) and I need to extract a specific word. The text field name is "MEDICATIONS" and the word I need to extract which might appear anywhere in the field is 'VENOFER'. The word need to be entered in a separate field in a query. Could any one help as to how to enter the code in the query? Thanking you Leo In the criteria I entered Like "VENOFER" Or "Venofer" It seems to work. Will it cause any problems down the line? In other wrods is this an acceptable procedure? "Leo" wrote: >...

How do I hyperlink directly to a section within a Word Document?
I have the need to provide html hyperlinks on our SharePoint portal that will open a Word document and go directly to specific section. I've tried creating anchored links to bookmarks within Word (docx format) but only get as far as having the document open (with a uri like http://portal/requirements.docx#anchor) but it doesn't navigate to the bookmark. Since some of these documents can be quite large, jumping directly to the use case is important. Has anyone else successfully done something like this? Any help is appreciated, Don ...

Editing Password protected form fields in Word 2007
We have created a Word document with a legacy text form field. We inserted a word date field and protected the document allowing Filling in Forms. After protecting the document when we try going to the form field and clicking on back space to delete the entry we get "This is not a valid selection" message box. We have existing word documents in 2003 with similar form fields. We were able to delete the entries and add new data. After converting the documents to 2007 or create new documents in 2007 and try to delete the entries we get the above error. Hi Veera, ...

space between lines to be one
Re: Outlook 2003 I use Outlook to process my e-mail. How would I make the space between lines to be one (1)? Sometimes the space between lines is two (2), especially between paragraphs. Thank you, Barry Karas "Barry Karas" <barrykaras1234@comcast.net> wrote in message news:EZidnXsnw4464xHbnZ2dnUVZ_rqhnZ2d@comcast.com... > Re: Outlook 2003 > > I use Outlook to process my e-mail. How would I make the space between > lines to be one (1)? > > Sometimes the space between lines is two (2), especially between > paragraphs. > > Thank you, > >...

Re: is MS Publisher compatible with Word?
<<Can you use Word to edit Publisher files?>> No. Mac Townsend Adcom Graphics, Fairfield, C A www.adcomgraphics.com Powered by the E-mail PIM - Info Select - www.miclog.com ...

In Word 2007, I want to enable tabbing between fields in my .docm
In Developer Mode, how can I set the properties of my fields to support tabbing from one field to another in my Word form? What kind of "fields" did you insert? If they're form fields from the Legacy Controls button, you have to turn off Design Mode and then protect the document for forms. Either click the Protect Document button and go through the Restrict Formatting pain/pane, or add the Lock command to your Quick Access Toolbar. If they're content controls (the other buttons in the Controls group), tabbing between controls other than a Rich Text control w...

How do I place multiple centered lines in a header?
I wish to place multiple centered lines in the header of a Visio project. I can't find anything to help me with this. I wish to see: ABC Company Special Project centered in the header of the documents I am creating. Are you printing one Visio page per printer page? If so, you can use a background page instead of a Header/Footer. The options for H/Fs are quite limited compared to what you can do with background pages. The reason for including H/Fs in Visio was to address the problem when a Visio drawing ended up printing on multiple pages. The H/Fs allowed easy identification of ...

Adding additional address lines on version 8
I am modifying the POP Blank Form on version 8 (never been modified before). I have modified the existing Vendor Address 1-3 within Calculated fields to add the Country (removing the last ""). I then create a vendor address 4, which is identical to 1-3 except for a number 4 for the line number. This is what I have done in all previous versions and it has worked fine. When I go to print I get an error "Max symbol length exceeded: Increase MAX_TOK_LEN." If I delete the new calculated field it prints fine. All our SOP reports have the 4 line, but were upgraded to ...

Color coding data in line graphs
I am building several line graphs for 9 customers. Is there a way to assign a color for the data by customer without manually adjusting the line for each customer in each line graph? You could adapt this approach: VBA Conditional Formatting of Charts by Series Name http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/vba-conditional-formatting-of-charts-by-series-name/ - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltiertech.com/ brewer wrote: > I am building several line graphs for 9 customers. Is there a way to assign > a color for the data by customer without manually adju...

InterlockedCompareExchange64 under VC++ 6.0: in-line assembly using cmpxchg8b ??
I am trying to implement an atomic compare-and-exchange of a "double" type, under VC++ 6.0 for WinXP. The Windows API function of InterlockedCompareExchange64 is not available for WinXP (it's only available for Vista, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dllproc/base/interlockedcompareexchange64.asp ) .. There is a compiler intrinsic function of _InterlockedCompareExchange64 (see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ttk2z1ws(VS.80).aspx ), but this intrinsic seems to be available only for more recent versions of VC++ (such as VC++ 2005), and it's not available as...

Problem With Word Finding Outlook Contact Lists For Email Merge
I am having a problem getting word (Small Business 2003) to find the current contact database lists in my Outlook . For some reason or another when I am asked by the merge wizard to select a contact list from the contact list folder I am presented with old or deleted lists. I have done this operation many times before so I am baffled why this should just happen. If anyone is interested please email me at tonyisburntout@yahoo.com and I will be more than happy to send of a word document with the relevent screen shots. Any and all help would be appreciated. Best to start mail merges from inside...

Customizing email subject line
Whenever I send an email through CRM, the subject line always has something resembling the following at the end: CRM:00030004 Is there any way to _not_ have this appear? Hi Russell, That is the tracking token that CRM assigns to every email it tracks. It uses the tracking token to track mails that are sent from CRM and then recieved back to you as replies. The tracking token is defined in Orgnaization Settings -> System Settings -> Email Tracking tab.You can change the prefix to be used as well as setting of which emails to be tracked. Hope this helps! Sam _______________ I...

Getting primary and secondary axes to line up
Hi, I am using a column-line combination chart. My primary y- axis has percents for labels, my secondary y-axis has numbers. The 0.0% on the primary axis does not line up with the 0 on my secondary y-axis. The 0 on my secondary axis a little higher than the 0.0% on my primary axis. Is there a way to get the primary and secondary X-axes to line up? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks! Varsha Varsha - Does this help? http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AlignXon2Ys.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions h...

No Subject Line
When users try to send emails using Outlook 2000 without a subject line, it looks as if the message was sent, but it does not reach the recipient. Has anyone experienced this before or does anyone know where I should look. Thanks, C C <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When users try to send emails using Outlook 2000 without a > subject line, it looks as if the message was sent, but it > does not reach the recipient. Has anyone experienced this > before or does anyone know where I should look. Perhaps the recipient is blocking messages with no subject. -- ...