renaming files

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

in word I could rename a file from the open menu so long as the file was not launched.  what is the most efficient way to rename a file in word for mac?
0
mtevans14

mtevans14@officeformac.com wrote:
> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor:
> Intel in word I could rename a file from the open menu so long as the
> file was not launched. what is the most efficient way to rename a file
> in word for mac?

Hi,

Windows OS lets you change names in File Open dialog boxes. MacOS does
not. Someone explained the reasoning behind this and it made sense to me
at the time, but I don't remember the exact reasoning at the moment.

I usually just open a file and then use File > Save As to rename a file.
Sometimes I click on the File name in Finder and change it there.

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP
Co-author of Office 2008 for Mac All-in-One For Dummies
http://tinyurl.com/Office-2008-for-Dummies
0
Jim
2/23/2010 1:11:57 AM
Thanks, Jim.  I appreciate the very prompt reply.  I assume when I would used File > Save As it will replace the original with the new. <br><br>mtevans14
0
mtevans14
2/23/2010 5:08:45 AM
No, Save As does not overwrite the original unless you use the identical
file name & save to the same folder [in which case you might as well just
Save :-)]. Save As creates a new file with the name you give it &
incorporates any changes made up to that point. The original file is left
untouched as of the last Save made prior to doing the Save As.

In Mac OS navigate to the file in a Finder window & edit the file name...
Although I believe there are some file management utilities that enable
editing of file names but I've never had need to use any of them.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 2/23/10 12:08 AM, in article 59bb3483.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"mtevans14@officeformac.com" <mtevans14@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Jim.  I appreciate the very prompt reply.  I assume when I would used
> File > Save As it will replace the original with the new.
>
> mtevans14

0
CyberTaz

How does Outlook keep track of its PST files?
In otherwords, where does Outlook keep the information that lets it know which PST files it's using wnd where they are? thanks. in the profile - it's stored in the registry under windows messaging subsystem key. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: ...

Attach file but send dir image
I attach a file to my email. I send the email and also three other messages with attached images of my directory lists. How do I stop sending these images? Why are they being sent? Outlook 2000 I am running Norton AntiVirus to filter both the incoming and the outgoing mail. The problem occurs in the filtering of the outgoing mail. NAV support suggests that the problem is a corrupted Symantec Redirector and directed me to their document# 200205160084213 - How to update the Symantec Redirector files. >-----Original Message----- >I attach a file to my email. >I send the email and al...

Opening/editing/saving excel file
I am using Access/Excel 2003 and I'm trying to open a file called Quad_Charts_Template.xls from my C drive, dump some data on one of the sheets, make a couple changes and save it with a specific name. This is the code I have to choose my record sorce: Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("qry_Avg_Age_Trend_Source_Data") The worksheet is called "AAT_Raw_Data", which will always be the 1st sheet and I want to copy the data from rst onto the sheet starting at A1. I also want to bold the header row and set the auto filter as active. And finally I want to sav...

Please help to recover missing file #2
I am faced with a strange problem. I was working with worksheet in Excel when there was a power shutdown. The worksheet was in saved condition. When power resumed my worksheet simply vanished. Now whenever I try to access the worksheet I get the message that worksheet could not be found. As my pc is window xp pro. the worksheet should have saved itself as it does in word program. I have cheeked Recycle Bin and ran search program without any success. System Restore is of no help as it was off. Is there any way to retrieve the file. TIA. ...

Access report in rtf format arrives in e-mail as xls file
I have a single report (with subreports embedded) that is e-mailed every day. I have been able to successfully send this report for a couple of months as an rtf file with no problems. For some reason unbenownst to me, the report formatting now shows in the e-mail as an xls file. I do not know why this has changed and have not been able to arrive at the solution as of yet. I wondered if anyone has any ideas as to why this might be happening? Your thoughts are appreciated. How exactly do you send the report? Do you do it manually or by some code? If manually, describe the steps. ...

CSV formatted text file to Excel
Hi all, I am writing a small VC++ application of how to import the CSV formatted ..txt file to excel. I am facing problem while parsing the text file. "TicketNo","CarNo","PersonAge" 12534 , 763534 , 23 12345 , 624333, 24 The problem is in MFC there is a SetValue2(CoeVariant:column data) method in which if i will pass an array(12534) then it will be imported to excel.For example IfI will search for the "employee number" field in text file then the values passed to SetValue2()should be 12543 and 12345.But Using C++ I cannot do so as I...

link to specific sheet in excel file which contains points and spaces
I am trying to make a link in Acces to an Excel file. This excel file contains several sheet with different names. My form in Access has a field that corresponds to the name of the excel sheets (Formname in script). When the name in the form contains points or spaces my link to the sheet with the same name does not work. I tried to put brackets [] on either side of the name, but then linking does not work at all. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Code (works when Formname.Value does not contain spaces or points etc): Private Sub CommandActionRegister3_Click() Dim Locatio...

deleted pst file still appears
Outlook XP, SP-2. I moved my .pst file to another drive by copying it, adding the copy to Outlook, and making the new one the default for my email account. OK so far. Then I removed the original data file and restarted Outlook. The "Personal Folders" for that file still appears. I deleted the actual file to see if Outlook would realize it wasn't there. The "Personal Folders" for that file still appears. When i try to close the obsolete item from the folder list pane, I get a "The operation failed. "An object cannot be found" dialog. Mail...

File Upgrade to Money 2006 from 2002
I have recently installed Money 2006 on a new machine, transferred the old Money file created by Money 2002, and tried to open it. It says it will convert it, appears to be doing so (progress bar etc.) and then says it cannot read it because it was created using a different version. Help - it is not much use upgrading if I can't transfer the old file!! Jon Jeffery Money is heavily localised so when you upgrade you must stay within region. US > US is OK but UK > US is not. This error tells you that you are upgrading (or trying to) between regions. -- Regards Bob Peel, ...

Losing all formatting in Excel 2007 files
I have Office 2007 running on an XP desktop and a Windows 7 laptop. I work on an Excel .xlsx file on my desktop but when I open it on my laptop all of the formatting is lost. I have had this exact same problem except vista to xp. I wouldn't lose all of the formatting, but some words would would be on different lines. Other things I have noticed is that my Office 2007 on Vista doesn't always have the same fonts as on my Office 2007 XP. I think the formatting issue is more of a compatibility issue. ...

How to open new excel file in new window by default?
Hello, Could anyone help? How to open new excel file in new window by default? it opens in the last window on the screen as of now. Bests Jayesh When I open a workbook (or create a new workbook) it is opened in its own new window in addition to whatever I have open at the time. Each open workbook has its own window. You can select which workbook to work with in Excel 2007 by View/Switch Windows and selecting the workbook you want. I believe in Excel 2003, it is Window/List of Windows to do the same thing. You can also cycle through your currently open workbooks by pressing Ctrl+F6. ...

Help!!Getting audio files to play continuously during slide show?!
I have Powerpoint 2002, and i am having a hard time getting the music file to play continuously during the slide show. it plays on the first slide (which is the only slide that has the little speaker picture on it), but then it doesn't transition to the next slide until after the song is done, when i want the song to play while the slides are transitioning. HELP please! Mega, Have a look here and see if it helps, there are tuturials in video demonstrating the process. http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00047.htm -- Luc Sanders MVP - PowerPoint "MegaB86" <MegaB86...

Open outlook express eml files with Office Outlook
How can I get my Microsoft Outlook e-mail software to open a Outlook Express .eml file save on a network. My objective is to be able to double click the .eml file or drag and drop it into my Microsoft Outlook application. Thank you, LS Lance <llscott@csicable.net> wrote: > How can I get my Microsoft Outlook e-mail software to > open a Outlook Express .eml file save on a network. My > objective is to be able to double click the .eml file or > drag and drop it into my Microsoft Outlook application. You have to open in with Outlook Express and then move it to Outlook fro...

Resource file (rc) units
Hello, I am currently trying to port a MFC app to the wxWindows API. My problem is I would like to convert a rc file to the wxwindows resource format but I don't understant units used in MS file. Ex : IDD_LECTEUR_DIALOG DIALOGEX 0, 0, 679, 471 STYLE DS_ABSALIGN | DS_SETFONT | DS_MODALFRAME | WS_POPUP | WS_VISIBLE EXSTYLE WS_EX_APPWINDOW FONT 8, "MS Sans Serif", 0, 0, 0x1 BEGIN CONTROL "",IDC_PANEL_CENTRAL,"Static",SS_LEFTNOWORDWRAP | WS_GROUP,5,117,667,236 LTEXT "",IDC_STATIC_PANEL,36,138,593,195,0,WS_EX_...

Desktop shortcut opens app but will not open file
When one of my users clicks on a desktop shortcut (MS Excel), the program opens but the file will not. The user can open the file directly by going into Excel and clicking open , file, etc. Thanks, Glen This are the usual things to fix this Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar 1 ) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK. 2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK. See the space be...

emailing Outlook contact files
Help, Why am I unable to export my contacts & then attach the ..pst file in an email? I want to use my 97 Outlook contacts on my 200 Outlook on my home machine. Thanks! Export the contacts. then shut down Outlook and reopen. Then try sending the .pst file home. Also, make sure the file size is acceptable to your ISP who usually put a limit of 2-5 mbs for attachments. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Greg <greg@mrcifoundation.info> asked: | Help, | | Why am...

Programmatically listing Relationships of ADP file
I'm fairly new to access and would like to get a listing of the relationships in the ADP file. How would I go about doing that programmatically? I haven't the first idea of where to start. I did find something that said to loop through the relationships collection, but I can't seem to find it. FWIW, I'm fairly fluent in Excel VBA. Thanks, Barb Reinhardt On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:30:01 -0700, Barb Reinhardt <BarbReinhardt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: A good start would be to open a VBA window, click the Help button, and look for Relationships...

save XL file to server via FTP upload
I'd like to use the Save-On-Close Macro to automatically perform an FTP upload to save the file to my server site. Before I try to write the macro code, I need to figure out how to do it manually. I'm running Excel97 under WinXP. I could probably write (with lots of learning) a .bat file to do the job using a separate FTP application, but then I'd have to install that file on all machines from which file was to be uploaded. The help menu says: On File Menu - Click "Save as" in "save in" box, click internet locations (FTP) [ I only find a comman...

File Name Length
Does anyone know if filenames can be longer than 31 characters in Office 2004? Thanks. In article <19bee01c41cec$47393e90$a401280a@phx.gbl>, "JM" <doubledawg9498@yahoo.com> wrote: > Does anyone know if filenames can be longer than 31 characters in Office > 2004? Thanks. FIrst, you *can* have filenames longer than 31 characters in Office v.X already - you just can't generate them. While v.X apps display a hash at the end of a long filename, it keeps the filename intact when you save. MS hasn't announced anything regarding long file names in 2004 ye...

what causes the recently used file list option to be unavailable .
Tools / Options / Recently used file list is greyed out - How do I correct this ? John You don't say which version so try searching the knowledge base http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx With a search string of MRU Disabled in Excel -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "JohnPrice" <JohnPrice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ECA43906-EC33-4B92-8580-39923E449B9C@microsoft.com... > Tools / Options / Recently used file list is greyed out - How do I correct > this ? Hi! So...

Run Time Error 9 (Subscript out of Range) for XLA file
I just turned an xls file into an xla file and am having some issues with my code. The code snippet below is failing on: Windows(varfile1).Activate. varfile1 is the name of the xla file. When it was an xls file I selected the workbook, then selected a sheet in it, then selected a start cell and then figured out what the used range was (I know I can also employ .UsedRange but will ignore for now). However, now that its an xla file I cannot seem to a get to my start cell (within a sheet in the xla file) by selecting the xla file and its sheet. How do I get around this. Thanks in adv...

converting an excel file that is in binhex format on a PC
i recieved an excel file attachment that is in binhex format and needs to be converted! what should i do? IIRC, that's a format used on MacIntosh systems. Your email program would be responsible for converting it. I just now searched Google and found information that Outlook Express is supposed to be able to decode the file. I suggest you also search Google for converters. On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 08:49:06 -0700, janie6998 <janie6998@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i recieved an excel file attachment that is in binhex format and needs to be >converted! what should i do? ...

cannot filter excel files in "files of type"
I have Outlook 2003, and when I try to add an attachment, I cannot filter based on Excel files in "Files of type". Excel is the listed but other like Word are. The entire Office 2003 suite is installed on the PC and I tried reinstalling to no avail. Also, Customize is grayed-out under the tools menu in Outlook\new mail message. Please help me out. thanks. Sorry, I mean to say Excel is NOT listed under "Files of Type" "wli2k2" wrote: > I have Outlook 2003, and when I try to add an attachment, I cannot filter > based on Excel files in "Files ...

Need help with updating XML file
Hi, I am using an xml bound to a datalist to display photos in a gallery. XML file is generated and then bound to the datalist. What i want to do is edit the captions for the photos by clicking Edit in the datalist and then update. My file looks like the snippet below. For example i want to just update the caption for the first photo. Any help is greatly appreciated. XML is not my forte. <Photos> <Photo> <PhotoID>1</PhotoID> <Caption></Caption> <FileName>DSC00067.jpg</FileName> <FilePath>~/photos/Stills/DSC00067.jpg</FilePath&g...

File Storage size
Does this seem odd to anyone? Here is my storage groups db and log sizes: edb stm subtotal logs total Storage1 29 15 44 10 54 Storage2 21 23 44 17 61 Storage3 11 6 17 6 23 Storage4 10 2 12 4 16 I only have 300 mailboxes. It was my assumption that the stm files shouldnt be that big in size. The logs arent really my concern. I have tried offline defrag of the dbs but i ran the eseutil from a different volume - meaning i copied the necessary files from the installed exchange volume to the same volume as the dbs are on. The defrag hardly compres...