Quotation mark key produces << instead of " in Word doc from PC

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I am updating a document that was created in Word on a PC several years ago.  When I viewed it all the ' had become =.  I found out in the forum how to fix that.  But more important, I do not seem to be able to type a quotation mark.  When I hit Shift &quot;, I get a symbol that looks like a doubled >.  The symbol doesn't even exist on my keyboard.  I suspect that I can go to Insert, Symbols, and get the proper &quot;, but this is a syllabus for a class that I teach year after year, updating the reading every year.  I don't want to have to use Insert, Symbol, for every new item needing a &quot;.  Any suggestions.  I also worry about other documents in the future that might do the same thing.  I've been a PC user all my life so I have no idea what Word version I originally wrote the text in.   <br><br>Thanks!
0
LindaP

Hi Linda:

The issue you have is not the version of Word, but the version of text
encoding that the file is using.

Modern versions of Word use Unicode to store their text (16-bit characters).
The very old versions used ASCII (8-bits).

The first thing I would do is use File>Save As to save that as a "Word
Document" (.docx) file.

Then select all the text and change font: it doesn't matter what you change
to: if it's in Times Roman, change it to Cambria, if it's in Arial, change
it to Calibri.  The intent is to force Word to re-write every character in
the document into the new code.

That should fix it.

You can then put the font back to what it was, if you like.

Cheers

On 31/01/10 5:58 AM, in article 59bb1e5d.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"LindaP@officeformac.com" <LindaP@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I am updating a document that was created in Word on a PC several years ago.
> When I viewed it all the ' had become =.  I found out in the forum how to fix
> that.  But more important, I do not seem to be able to type a quotation mark.
> When I hit Shift ", I get a symbol that looks like a doubled >.  The symbol
> doesn't even exist on my keyboard.  I suspect that I can go to Insert,
> Symbols, and get the proper ", but this is a syllabus for a class that I teach
> year after year, updating the reading every year.  I don't want to have to use
> Insert, Symbol, for every new item needing a ".  Any suggestions.  I also
> worry about other documents in the future that might do the same thing.  I've
> been a PC user all my life so I have no idea what Word version I originally
> wrote the text in.
>
> Thanks!

matters unless you intend to pay!

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
1/30/2010 8:26:51 PM
0
thg
1/30/2010 9:37:37 PM
Thank you!  This fixed the problem immediately.  <br>
> The issue you have is not the version of Word, but the version of text <br>
> encoding that the file is using. <br>
> Modern versions of Word use Unicode to store their text (16-bit characters). <br>
> The very old versions used ASCII (8-bits). <br>
> The first thing I would do is use File>Save As to save that as a &quot;Word <br>
> Document&quot; (.docx) file. <br>
> Then select all the text and change font: it doesn't matter what you change <br>
> to: if it's in Times Roman, change it to Cambria, if it's in Arial, change <br>
> it to Calibri.  The intent is to force Word to re-write every character in <br>
> the document into the new code. <br>
> That should fix it. <br>
> You can then put the font back to what it was, if you like. <br>
> Cheers <br>
> On 31/01/10 5:58 AM, in article 59bb1e5d.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;LindaP@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <br>
> > I am updating a document that was created in Word on a PC several years ago. <br>
> > When I viewed it all the ' had become =.  I found out in the forum how to fix <br>
> > that.  But more important, I do not seem to be able to type a quotation mark. <br>
> > When I hit Shift &quot;, I get a symbol that looks like a doubled >.  The symbol <br>
> > doesn't even exist on my keyboard.  I suspect that I can go to Insert, <br>
> > Symbols, and get the proper &quot;, but this is a syllabus for a class that I teach <br>
> > year after year, updating the reading every year.  I don't want to have to use <br>
> > Insert, Symbol, for every new item needing a &quot;.  Any suggestions.  I also <br>
> > worry about other documents in the future that might do the same thing.  I've <br>
> > been a PC user all my life so I have no idea what Word version I originally <br>
> > wrote the text in. <br>
> > Thanks! <br>
> This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum <br>
> matters unless you intend to pay! <br>
>  --  <br>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer, <br>
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd <br>
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 <br>
> +61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name <br>

0
LindaP
1/30/2010 10:25:13 PM
Oooh!  Nice pick-up.  I hadn't thought of that.  Yes, that could be it!

In which case, make sure the language the text is marked as, is the language
you are actually using :-)

On 31/01/10 8:37 AM, in article 59bb1e5d.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"thg@officeformac.com" <thg@officeformac.com> wrote:

>>  I get a symbol that looks like a doubled >.
>
> It sounds your app is set to produce "smart quotes" and is also set to a
> language other than English for that text.  The � is commonly used in French,
> Spanish, and other languages.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark,_non-English_usage

matters unless you intend to pay!

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
1/31/2010 8:57:12 AM
The language issue was the first thing I thought of since earlier I had messed around with changing the language of the dictionary for spell checks. I had already checked out that problem before I wrote the post.  Sorry I should have responded to and thanked both of you.  You guys are really a great help to a neophyte like me!    <br>
Linda
0
LindaP
1/31/2010 6:38:02 PM
> Hi Linda: <br>
> The issue you have is not the version of Word, but the version of text <br>
> encoding that the file is using. <br>
> Modern versions of Word use Unicode to store their text (16-bit characters). <br>
> The very old versions used ASCII (8-bits). <br>
> The first thing I would do is use File>Save As to save that as a &quot;Word <br>
> Document&quot; (.docx) file. <br>
> Then select all the text and change font: it doesn't matter what you change <br>
> to: if it's in Times Roman, change it to Cambria, if it's in Arial, change <br>
> it to Calibri.  The intent is to force Word to re-write every character in <br>
> the document into the new code. <br>
> That should fix it. <br>
> You can then put the font back to what it was, if you like. <br>
> Cheers <br>
> On 31/01/10 5:58 AM, in article 59bb1e5d.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;LindaP@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <br>
> > I am updating a document that was created in Word on a PC several years ago. <br>
> > When I viewed it all the ' had become =.  I found out in the forum how to fix <br>
> > that.  But more important, I do not seem to be able to type a quotation mark. <br>
> > When I hit Shift &quot;, I get a symbol that looks like a doubled >.  The symbol <br>
> > doesn't even exist on my keyboard.  I suspect that I can go to Insert, <br>
> > Symbols, and get the proper &quot;, but this is a syllabus for a class that I teach <br>
> > year after year, updating the reading every year.  I don't want to have to use <br>
> > Insert, Symbol, for every new item needing a &quot;.  Any suggestions.  I also <br>
> > worry about other documents in the future that might do the same thing.  I've <br>
> > been a PC user all my life so I have no idea what Word version I originally <br>
> > wrote the text in. <br>
> > Thanks! <br>
> This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum <br>
> matters unless you intend to pay! <br>
>  --  <br>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer, <br>
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd <br>
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 <br>
> +61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name <br>
0
Scott1812

In Visio how can I link a shape to a word file
I am creating a flowchart and would like to know if I can use the Shapes as buttons and get them to link to a word file stored on a drive? On Tue, 31 May 2005 05:57:21 -0700, BB1066 <BB1066@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am creating a flowchart and would like to know if I can use the Shapes as >buttons and get them to link to a word file stored on a drive? Select the shape then from the 'Insert' menu select 'Hyperlinks'. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.pherber.com/ SanDriLa - SDL/MSC/TTCN/UML2 application for Visio http...

How to set appointment at 4:15pm instead of 4pm or 4:30pm
I can't figure out how to get Outlook to allow me to start an appointment at 4:15pm. Outlook only allows me to set the appointment at 4pm or 4:30pm. I'm using Office 2003 for Students & Teachers and WinXP professional. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Highlight the :30 with your mouse and type over :15. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP Author - Special Edition Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Lead Author - Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference Author - Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft OneNote 2003 http://blogs.officezealot.com/cardoza http://www...

Is there something like Word's "CREATEDATE" function in Excel?
I've created a lovely invoice in Excel for my company. When I generate a new invoice from the template it puts in the date using the TODAY() function, but unfortunately this updates if I ever open the invoice again to look at it. In Word there is a "CREATEDATE" function which inserts the date that the file was created first, and never after does it change. Is there any way to accomplish this same task in Excel? Thanks, Michael mleenheer @ yahoo.com ML, Keyboard shortcut to date stamp is put your cursor in the cell you want and push -- ctrl ; --(thats ctrl and semicolon...

Opening Word 2007 Files
One of my co-workers is having a problem in opening Word 2007 files. He can open them directly in Word, but can open any by double clicking the file Icon in Windows Explorer. She insists there is something wrong with Word 2007, in the way files are created and saved and is quite animated to all of her other co-workers on this subject. I really need to solve this issue - does anyone have any experience with this sort of a problem. I thank you Carl I think that the file associations might be messed up. Find a Word file on the computer in question and right click it. Look fo...

Input from remote 10-key and laptop numbers very slow
The last few days I've experience a delay when inputting numbers into Excel 2000 worksheets. When I type in the numbers, they slowly enter themselves, one at a time pausing between each number. This is occurring both with the remote 10-key for the laptop and the number keys on the laptop. This is occuring in all files, no matter how big or small. I wouldn't say I have any overly complicated workbooks, mostly basic functions. I have had much bigger and more complicated before without a problem. When using the 10-key or the number keys anywhere else, Word, internet, e...

what's the shortcut key for 'go to next page' ?

Word document sent by Mac client lost encoding when opened in OWA
When a Macintosh users sends a Word or Excel document(with the proper Windows extentions) the Word document loses its encoding when you try to open it with the OWA. The Excel document is unrecognized. When you open the message with an Outlook client on Windows or Mac the attachments are fine. ...

I just received this from Mark Joyner. Everyone on the Internet
I just received this from Mark Joyner. Everyone on the Internet needs to read this, and you should forward this to your friends, as well. I tried this "Manuscript" he refers to myself and it was, without a doubt, the most profound experience of my business life. I'm still shaking from reading it. I feel like a fog has been lifted from my eyes! Anyway, here's the letter he sent me about it: =============== Dear Subscriber, If I could show you one simple technique that in 5 minutes would increase your Internet sales by 32% would you do it? What if I had a collection of...

Rule is copying item instead of moving it
I have a .inbox (. to make it come first in the list) and a receipts folder under my personal folders. I've created a rule to move anything with "read:" in the subject to the receipts folder on my personal. Then I have some rules to move anything else (3 rules, one for each importance to capture all e-mails) to my .inbox. The receipts move rule is putting items in the receipts folder but it also leaves a copy in the .inbox (indicating that it's getting captured in the 2nd set of rules). I specifically run the receipts rule first so it's taken care of but I can&#...

Importing Excel and Word using automation
The last time I tried this I got very frustrated. I think I'll probably need to buy a book or something. Can someone recommend such a resource, or any other suitable resource for that matter? Before you go out and buy a book, try reading the Automation documentation that Microsoft provides with their Office applications. The documentation file names vary, depending on the version of Office, but for instance, my Office 2003 documentation is in files named the following (obviously, the root path varies depending on where you installed): E:\Office\OFFICE11\1033\VBAXL10.CHM E:\Office\OFF...

Problems re-entering product key
Hey guys, need some help here, am at a lost. This is the situation: After updating my mac office 08, I couldn't open any office application because apparently, my product key was invalid. So I went through the procedure of removing and re-entering my product key as stated on mactopia's website. But I am stuck at the step of entering my (new) product key. Clicking on 'continue' gives no response. Anyone encountered such a problem or know what's the problem? Thank you so much for your help. On 4/1/10 8:24 PM, Samantha wrote: > This is the situation: After ...

how to change numbers into words,
In excel how to change numberical data into english words, many times currency figures are required to be stated into english words as well so what is the formula for this problem, for example for US$ 5400 : $ Five thousand four hundred is the conversion into words. See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Mukesh Dhoot" <Mukesh Dhoot @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B59710A8-2377-4CF5-98B0-229933A3DE33@microsoft.com... > In excel how to change numberical data into e...

Where to find Product key in Windows.old folder?
I upgraded my computer to Windows 7 Pro. I did not remember to save the product key for my MS Ultimate Office 2007 I purchased from Digital River last year. I cannot get the product key from Digital River anymore. I know the key is saved somewhere in the windows.old folder, but i cannot determine where the files is located. please help. -- AZDiablo "undisclosed" wrote in message news:9792f4744e43417cc7b3bde5581351cd@nntp-gateway.com... > > I upgraded my computer to Windows 7 Pro. I did not remember to save the > product key for my MS Ultimate Offi...

I've downloaded and accepted a lot of transactions YTD that have all been auto-reconciled. I didn't realize that was happening until I wanted to balance against my paper statement. Is there a way to select multiple transactions (all) and mark as unreconciled? In microsoft.public.money, bran100 wrote: >I've downloaded and accepted a lot of transactions YTD that have all >been auto-reconciled. I didn't realize that was happening until I >wanted to balance against my paper statement. > >Is there a way to select multiple transactions (all) and mark as >unrecon...

Scatter chart with columns instead of points
I need to create a chart showing the number of students who received each numerical grade on test. The spacing between grades is not equidistant (ex: 65, 70, 90, etc.) and I need to show the true spacing on the x-axis. So I chose a scatter chart because the other charts make the points of equal distance on the x-axis. The trouble is I need to represent the data as columns so if two students scored a 65 and eight scored a 90, the 90 column would much higher. Is there a way to add vertical columns to a scatter chart? Put your grades in a column, and include the grades which had none. ...

VBA Macro: Word 2003 (FormFields)
Hi, I have a question on how to capture a hyperlink that is inserted behind a checked FormField (type Checkbox). The idea is to create some sort of index page with checkboxes, which will summarize a number of hyperlinks (which point towards several files on the company network). A button will print out all of the CHECKED checkboxes. I'm not able to achieve this. This is my code so far: Private Sub PrintButton_Click() For x = 1 To ActiveDocument.FormFields.Count If ActiveDocument.FormFields(x).Type = wdFieldFormCheckBox Then If ActiveDocume...

cannot use alt+s as shortcut in outlook with word
When I use word to edit mails in outlook I can't use alt+s shortcut to send emails. I noticed that I can use alt+s+s when I am in the subject field, but not when I am in the text field. do you have any addins or utilities that may have remapped the alt+s key? did you customize the toolbar and add alt+s as a shortcut? Usually when you need to hit the key twice, it means the first one is selecting a different command... -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdoliv...

Word as Email editor
Using Word as the editor, each time Outlook is opened, 2 other word items are opened at the same time and are unclosable. Any ideas for a solution? ...

running on pc & laptop
I'm going on a 4wk bussiness trip. I have money 2004 on my home pc. What is the best way to to put on a laptop while I'm away? Once home i would like to transfer back to my home pc. thanks Probably easiest to just install Money 2004 on the laptop and copy the .MNY file over to it. Test it before you go though.. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://money.mvps.org/faq for tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your product wishes see http://money.mvps.org/wishes.aspx I do not respond to any unsolicited email regarding Money "ga...

HELP: Need to transfer/share files between 2 PC through Internet.
I need to develop a program to conncet two systems through dial up connection and to share the files/folders of that tho systems.... any idea.. any guidance... warm welcome..... regards, Aji. ...

Linking from Excel to Word
I was wondering if there is a way to link from an Excel file, to different locations within a single word document. I have successfully linked from an Excel file to another word document, which links to another word document. However, when I try to link from an Excel file to separate headers from within the same word document, I am unsuccessful…and, each time, simply link to the top of the word document. Is there a way to solve this? Any help is much appreciated. You're writing about hyperlinks??? If yes, insert a bookmark in your word file and use a hyperlink like: (Insert|h...

Outlook 2000 SP3 (Digital ID can not be found) after renew certificate (Digital ID) with the same key Pair!
Hello , I have renewed my certificate keeping my keys the same , outlook is now not able to decrypt my encrypted Mails and i get the Message Digital ID can not be found ! is that normal ? How outlook check the DIGITAL ID ? is that means the Private key of certificate(same) ? public key(same) ? or key Pair(same) ? or fingerprint(not same) or serial number of certificate(not same)? Thanx Saleh Matani ...

Navigating to Excel files over network slow, but not Word files
I have a PC with Excel 2003 SP3, when you click on "open" the window appears with a drop down arrow that allows you to navigate to your files. This person has all his files on the server and excel will take 30 seconds to populate the folder veiws, even when you find the folder you want, it still takes another 25 seconds to open that folder. The same process in Word 2003 only takes about 6 seconds!! If appears to be only an Excel issue. Anyone seen this before? I don't know why there's a difference between MSWord and Excel, but the more network drives and fol...

Selecting last word in a string
I have a list of names in column A, e.g. A1 contains Mr. & Mrs. Homer Simpson, A2 Mr. F. Smith, etc. I want to extract the last name so the B1 contains Simpson, B2 Smith, etc. I'm sure it can't be that difficult but after two hours of trying... Thanks, Peter Peter Andrews wrote... >I have a list of names in column A, e.g. A1 contains Mr. & Mrs. Homer >Simpson, A2 Mr. F. Smith, etc. > >I want to extract the last name so the B1 contains Simpson, B2 Smith, etc. > >I'm sure it can't be that difficult but after two hours of trying... If you'r...

how can i maintain bullet/alignment formatting within word fields?
i have created a 150 page document that's 75% dependent on fields, specifically { IF... } fields that determine ultimate content. within many fields, i need to use bullets (or simply insert bullet-like symbols and manually align). however, when i save the properly formatted document and then reopen it, the much of the bullet (or bullet-like symbols and alignment) are realigned to justify left and not indent the second line. thanks for any help!!! I don't know of a reliable way to apply paragraph formatting (such as bullets and indentation) via an IF field. You'...