Publishing Layout and tables

Version: 2008

I am trying to copy and paste text from one cell of a table to another cell in the same table.  The document is in Publishing Layout.  The paste command   deletes the text in the destination cell and then places a big empty text box on top of the table.  I do dozens of these documents that are primarily tables and graphics.  Previously I used Publisher on my old PC.  Should I go back, or can this be done in Word for the mac?
0
Toni_T

Hello,

On 2010.01.29 8:44 AM, in article 59bb1ce2.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Toni_T@officeformac.com" <Toni_T@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I am trying to
> copy and paste text from one cell of a table to another cell in the same
> table.  The document is in Publishing Layout.  The paste command   deletes the
> text in the destination cell and then places a big empty text box on top of
> the table.  I do dozens of these documents that are primarily tables and
> graphics.  Previously I used Publisher on my old PC.  Should I go back, or can
> this be done in Word for the mac?

What happens when you do the following?

1. In Publishing Layout, click on the Quick Tables button
  and insert a Quick Table.
2. Type some random characters into each cell, until the table is full.
3. Select the text in any cell, copy it using Command+C, click inside
  a different cell, and then paste using Command+V.

Quite honestly, it seems to work fine for me using this method.
I do see the Paste Options icon when I paste text, but regardless
of what format I choose, it seems to work fine.

Does the table you are working with contain other objects such as
graphics? There may be some issues with text wrapping of
graphic objects in table cells that are causing the apparent glitch.

Let us know more details and we'll be happy to help.

Jeff Chapman

0
Jeff
1/29/2010 12:50:45 AM
Jeff has taken the initiative here so don't mean to interfere with any of
what he's offering. I just want to interject the obvious -- which may not be
quite as obvious as it should be :-)

Publishing Layout View is a 'nice' convenience for someone who wants to be
able to put out an attractive newsletter, brochure, etc. by simply using one
of the templates & filling in the blanks. Beneath the veneer, however, the
underlying structure of the file is still the same as a standard Word
document, which is not that of a desktop publishing file. It is far more
complex than it looks, and without a thorough understanding of that
complexity alterations are a recipe for frustration. IOW, Pub Layout is a
View, not a separate page layout program "hidden" within Word.

IMHO, If your work is page layout oriented you'd be better off to use a
program designed to deliver those capabilities rather than one that merely
gives the impression of having them. The more extensively you attempt to
modify a Pub Layout document the more problematic it will become.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/28/10 6:44 PM, in article 59bb1ce2.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Toni_T@officeformac.com" <Toni_T@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I am trying to
> copy and paste text from one cell of a table to another cell in the same
> table.  The document is in Publishing Layout.  The paste command   deletes the
> text in the destination cell and then places a big empty text box on top of
> the table.  I do dozens of these documents that are primarily tables and
> graphics.  Previously I used Publisher on my old PC.  Should I go back, or can
> this be done in Word for the mac?

0
CyberTaz

New Pivot Table Question
sorry to have posted under another post. when I posted a new post it came up under the old post heading, hello, when I create a pivot table. I have a column in the pivot table that has a list of figures, I cannot get the figures to total at the bottom of the page. in that column, I have looked at the field settings and the settings looked correct. after that I cannot see the field settings when I right click and try to check them. any ideas. thanks Is the field in the Data area of the pivot table layout? hello wrote: > when I create a pivot table. I have a column in the pivot table...

Opening Publisher with blank page
I have just upgraded to 2007 from 2003. Somehow I had managed to have my program come up with a blank page instead of the templates whenever I opened Publisher. BUT I can't figure out how I did it. Can anybody help? PLEASE Tools, Options, uncheck Show Publication Types when starting Publisher. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "nonserenity" <nonserenity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EBA4AD79-DF58-476D-9788-500A1E55E93B@microsoft.com... >I have just upgraded to 2007 from 2003. ...

How do I get my MS Publisher web page to publish to my web site?
I have WIndows Vista Home Edition, use MS Publisher 2007 and have Internet Explorer 8. I am unable to publish my web page, crated in MS Pub 07, to my web domain at JustHost.com. Can you help me? ...

How do I import endnotes into Publisher from a Word Doc
How do I import endnotes into Publisher from a Word Doc You don't, you need to create them manually. Copy and paste might be the easiest method. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Lane" <Lane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:76032B2A-0C56-438A-B1FB-3363881930A2@microsoft.com... > How do I import endnotes into Publisher from a Word Doc ...

Publisher 2002 #26
My computer crashed and I lost my Publisher 2002 (disk1) can I download it? No, it's not available as a download. Microsoft can replace lost, broken, or missing disks (if available) but you will need to provide proof of purchase and there may be a fee for the replacement. If you go to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];326246, you will find the phone number and other applicable information. Please note that if the software came with your comouter (OEM), you will need to contact your computer manufacturer about the replacement. (As a personal comment, if this is ...

Publisher 2000 hyphenation
Is it possible to change the global default hyphenation setting in Publisher 2000 from "On" to "Off" or is it necessary to do this in every text box? Tony Tools, Options, Edit tab, clear "Automatically hyphenate in new text frames" -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Tony" <tony@ no spampensilva.plus.com> wrote in message news:8v2dncOAw7kP2nHWnZ2dnUVZ8nqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk... > Is it possible to change the global default hyphenation setting in Publisher > 2000 from "On" to "Off" or is it n...

DSProxy Post SP2 Behavior
We are having a problem with publishing certificates to the GAL and are not seeing the user domain GC being selected by DSProxy. We have a site with Exchange SP2 installed where the Exchange servers are in one domain, and the clients (OL2k3) having problems are in a separate domain. Both domains are children (siblings) of the same parent. All of the servers(DCs, Ex2k3, clients, etc) are in the same site. The problem we are seeing is the DSProxy is not delivering the GC of the users domain to Outlook via DSProxy so the users cannot publish their certificates to AD. Looking at this ...

Multiple Pivot tables from One selection
I would like 2 or 3 pivot tables to use on pivot table selection. I.e the selection criteria of the 1st pivot table on the menu page determines what the page data of the other pivot table displays on seperate sheets where the other pivot tables are contained. So the selection of one pivot table controls the rest. -- dapo ------------------------------------------------------------------------ dapo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29967 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=496616 Check the "Synchronize 2 Piv...

How to convert existing Excel List into a table in Access?
Is it possible to convert existing Excel List into a table in Access database in 2003 Excel I know it was possible in 2002 version through AccessLinks ? You can import the Excel list into Access, and use it there as a table. In Access, choose File>Get External Data>Import In the Files of Type dropdown, at the bottom of the dialog box, choose Microsoft Excel Locate and select your Excel file, and click Import Step through the Import Wizard, to complete the import. anna wrote: > Is it possible to convert existing Excel List into a table in Access database > in 2003 Excel I know...

Last Row of a Table has Part of the Content Whited Out
I imported a large document developed under Office 2000 on a PC into Word for Mac. Many of the tables are fine, but several of the tables have an issue with either the first or last row. The problem is that some of the words seem to be whited out. The words are still there, because when I place the cursor on words I can see and use the arrow keys, the cursor is still moving across the letters I cannot see, one at a time. I've tried the following: - Changing the fill color a few times. When I do this, the effected text is still hidden behind what appear to be white rectangles. - Ch...

Various Keyboard commands for Publisher
I would be very interested in finding a list of the various keyboard commands related to Publisher. Could anyone direct me a place where I could get this list? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! Tim Jugglertwo <Jugglertwo@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I would be very interested in finding a list of the various keyboard > commands related to Publisher. > Could anyone direct me a place where I could get this list? Try here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP030885451033.aspx -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher I'v...

FRx export to Pivot Table
when exporting FRx report to pivot table, is it possible to retain the column name as in FRx report (eg: YTD MAY 2009, MTD MAY 2009) rather than 2009 Period 5 or YTD for Period 5? ...

Publisher is more limited at DTP than Word, therefore Publisher should be scrapped. Discuss.
This is today's topic. I'm currently embroiled in an argument over in one of the Windows XP groups with some moron who fervently believes the above (which is a direct quote so I apologise in advance for the poor grammar). I have argued my case, but I'm obviously not getting through. What I'm really after is a list of all the things that one can do in Publisher that cannot possibly be accomplished in Word (or at least not without great difficulty). I'll leave you with his parting shot. "Publisher allows untrained people to generate substandard work, that looks OK if on...

trying to import a template from word, to publisher
I downloaded the template I need, to word. My project is in publisher.Not sure what to do Either look for a similar template suitable for Publisher or spend a fun few minutes creating one.. -- Mike Hall MVP - Windows Shell/user http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm "gettingdizzy" <gettingdizzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7BF85C3-E200-4189-8EFF-9287E1950603@microsoft.com... >I downloaded the template I need, to word. My project is in publisher.Not > sure what to do > Or copy, paste... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ htt...

Pivot Tables with different groupings based on same data table
On a single worksheet I have a small table consisting of two columns, Date & Sales. Each row is one instance of a date with its sales. The data is in the form of an Excel 2007 "Table". With a cell in the table selected, I click on "Insert Pivot Table"; position it on the same worksheet as the data table; in the Pivot Table Field List I check both Date and Sales; then select a Date cell, Rt.Click , Click Group, and Group by weeks (7 days); thus giving me the 1st table I want and from which I can obtain the chart I want. But then I try to repeat the whole process,...

Updating Table with a form
-- Center for technica education I have Two Tables ,a Student Name Table with Two Fields, Student Id and Student Name the other table is a Rubic Table and has the same two fields along with other fields. I have created a form with a combo box(Names) on the form and I am trying to get the Name and the Student Id to be entered into the into the Rubic Table fields but I can't seem to get the Student Id to be entered. I know I am doing something stupid but I can't seem to make it work. Thank you in advance for all the help. You guys are great. On Mon, 17 May 2010 15:18...

Collation in Publisher
I'm using am HP printer driver which doesn't have a collate option. Now when I open Publisher 2003 for the first time after installing the printer driver, and click File->Print, I see that the pages are collated. But once I open the driver UI and later open publisher, the pages are uncollated. If the printer driver doesn't have a collate option is there no way we can collate using Publisher? ...

Publisher 2007 #25
First and after today probably last time Publisher user! Can anyone restore my faith in 'user friendly' MS products? I have a single page to print out as part of a report. When I print it I get the entire page divided into quarters and each quarter is printed on a separate page. Or better described as having cutting out 1/4 of a page for 4 pages and a lot of tape!. Is there any way of printing the one page I need on one page???? Or copying it over to another Office program for printing??? Any help is appreciated. Are you using standard size stock? If not, have you setup y...

pivot table calculated field question
Greetings. I have two questions: 1) I have a pivot table like the following A B Total sum(T1) sum(T2) sum(T1) sum(T2) sum(T1) sum(T2) In this table I need to add sum(T1) / Total sum(T2) as a calculated field. How do I do this? 2) I have a pivot table like the following A B runningtotal(T1) runningtotal(T2) runningtotal(T1) runningtotal(T2) I need to add runningtotal(T1)/runningtotalT2) (not runningtotal(T1/T2)). How do I do this? Thank you. ...

Unable to successfully publish the form due to a MAPI error
Hi there having trouble trying to publish a user defined form (task) to the organisational forms library. It says: "Unable to successfully publish the form due to a MAPI error. The form cannot be published because you do not have owner permissions. what the hell is this? what permissions is it referring to. If it is form permissions, I am the owner of the form. ???? ta ...

Notebook layout view issue
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3221819567_796743 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit The title of section tabs doesn�t appear in the notebook layout of my Word 2004, i.e. Not a single word can display on the tab... Is it a bug? --B_3221819567_796743 Content-type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable <HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Notebook layout view issue</TITLE&...

How do I make Publisher compatible with different browsers?
Trying to save programming money at this point. Designed in Publisher - trying to convert to HTML in most efficient and detailed format available. Also looking at converting into Dreamweaver. I don't even know enough about this to be dangerous. Most Publisher websites can be adjusted for cross browser compatibility. Please repost in the web group with the version of Publisher you are using, which browsers are you using and testing, a link to your home page, and details of what incompatibilities you are experiencing. the web group: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.publis...

Excel 2000 w/pivot tables corrupted when saved ?
I have a user that has a spreadsheet (Office 2000 SP3) that was saved and when she tried to open it again, she got the message "Unable to read the file". When I tried to open the same file with Excel 2002 (SP3) I recieved the same message but then excel continued to open the file and tried to fix the problems. Once the spreadsheet was viewed, I noticed some data corruption in the pivot table. Some field names were replaced with unreadable characters. I am assuming that Excel 2000 corrupted the file on save since it could not open it back up immediately. But why and why no messag...

Link Drop Down list with Pivot Table
Hi I'm using MS Excel 2003 and need a solution regarding link my drop down list with my pivot table. Query : I have created a drop down list in which month can be selected and wanted to link with pivot table in which month wise team count is displayed for a selected month. Presently I'm drag n drop the month in pivot table and its shows the count. But this exercise I have to do every time when I need the report. Is it possible that I have select the month from my drop down list (created in same sheet) and pivot table shows the data related to that month. Ple...

Creating a line graph from 2 pivot tables?
Hello, I have two pivot tables, one contains information RECEIVED in a week for a country and the other contains information ACTIVATED in a week for a country. The countries and time range are the same for both. Within the line graph I would like to show, how many things were RECEIVED and ACTIVATED for that country in that week? I am able to show either the country or the time range but not both. How can I show both? Is this possible? Try using the multiple consolidation ranges in the pivot table options. You should be able to bring both tables into one and then chart it from there ...