Print Layout - Always want Only ONE PAGE per Window

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

In Print Layout Mode I always want Word to display one page per window. I don't want this to change when I use a lower zoom ratio. On the PC version of Word, this option is configurable. I cannot find a comparable configuration on the MAC. I always want only one page displayed regardless of the zoom ration that I select. I don't want Word gratuitously giving me more than one page displayed per window just because I select a lower zoom ratio. Thanks, -jim
0
jimwayda

Well... That's the way it works.

When posting in this forum, we would appreciate it if you actually try the
product first, before posting your question.

On 23/03/10 10:32 AM, in article 59bb5bcd.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"jimwayda@officeformac.com" <jimwayda@officeformac.com> wrote:

> In Print Layout Mode I always want Word to display one page per window. I
> don't want this to change when I use a lower zoom ratio. On the PC version of
> Word, this option is configurable. I cannot find a comparable configuration on
> the MAC. I always want only one page displayed regardless of the zoom ration
> that I select. I don't want Word gratuitously giving me more than one page
> displayed per window just because I select a lower zoom ratio. Thanks, -jim

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John
3/23/2010 3:08:31 AM
> When posting in this forum, we would appreciate it if you actually try the <br>
> product first, before posting your question. <br>
> On 23/03/10 10:32 AM, in article 59bb5bcd.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;jimwayda@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel <br>
> > In Print Layout Mode I always want Word to display one page per window. I <br>
> > don't want this to change when I use a lower zoom ratio. On the PC version of <br>
> > Word, this option is configurable. I cannot find a comparable configuration on <br>
> > the MAC. I always want only one page displayed regardless of the zoom ration <br>
> > that I select. I don't want Word gratuitously giving me more than one page <br>
> > displayed per window just because I select a lower zoom ratio. Thanks, -jim <br>
>  -- <br>
> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum <br>
> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay! <br>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer, <br>
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd <br>
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name <br>

0
jimwayda
3/23/2010 5:25:52 AM
Jim:

Well, I am comparing Word 2007 and Word 2008 as we speak.

I set the View>Zoom to "Whole Page" ("One Page" on the PC).

Then if I drag the window to a different size, Word scales the view to show
only one page.

Exactly the same in either product!

What configurable option are you talking about?

Cheers

On 23/03/10 4:25 PM, in article 59bb5bcd.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"jimwayda@officeformac.com" <jimwayda@officeformac.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> I am using the product and have tried it otherwise I wouldn't have posted the
> question. Don't be presumptions in situations where you have no evidence. A
> humble approach is always best.
>
>> Well... That's the way it works.
>>
>> When posting in this forum, we would appreciate it if you actually try the
>> product first, before posting your question.
>>

>> On 23/03/10 10:32 AM, in article 59bb5bcd.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
>> "jimwayda@officeformac.com"  wrote:
>>
>>> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor:
>>> Intel
>>> In Print Layout Mode I always want Word to display one page per window. I
>>> don't want this to change when I use a lower zoom ratio. On the PC version
>>> of
>>> Word, this option is configurable. I cannot find a comparable configuration
>>> on
>>> the MAC. I always want only one page displayed regardless of the zoom ration
>>> that I select. I don't want Word gratuitously giving me more than one page
>>> displayed per window just because I select a lower zoom ratio. Thanks, -jim
>>
>>  --
>>
>> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!
>>
>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
>> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
>> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John
3/23/2010 7:39:31 AM
Hi John;

Jim isn't referring to scaling the window, just changing the Zoom
percentage. If the window is sized to display Whole Page @ 100% Zoom, for
example, but you lower the Zoom to 75 or 50%, more than just the current
'page' displays. What you're saying is certainly true, & that's the way it
has to be done. But apparently he wants to be able to Zoom to a low
percentage while retaining only one page in the window _without_ having to
change the size of the window, itself. What purpose it would serve to have a
small 'page' displayed in an oversized window I have no idea, since the gray
area surrounding the 'page' is completely unusable, but that's evidently
what Jim is wanting to be able to do.

Jim;

Word does not operate the way you might prefer in this respect for the same
reason many people are perplexed by other aspects of its behaviors: Physical
*pages* do not exist in the structure of a Word document. It is a flow of
content from start to finish, so the Zoom percentage pertains to the content
being displayed, not to the hypothetical page on which it's being presented.

Because of what users expect to see & how they want to see it Microsoft has
bent over backwards to foster the impression that there are pages involved,
but a Word document isn't constructed the way slide presentations or desktop
publishing files are. The lower the Zoom the more content will fit in the
window & the content has to be displayed on those little white display
palettes people like to refer to as "pages" :-)

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/23/10 3:39 AM, in article C7CEBB63.7E3E%john@mcghie.name, "John McGhie"
<john@mcghie.name> wrote:

> Jim:
>
> Well, I am comparing Word 2007 and Word 2008 as we speak.
>
> I set the View>Zoom to "Whole Page" ("One Page" on the PC).
>
> Then if I drag the window to a different size, Word scales the view to show
> only one page.
>
> Exactly the same in either product!
>
> What configurable option are you talking about?
>
> Cheers
>

> On 23/03/10 4:25 PM, in article 59bb5bcd.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
> "jimwayda@officeformac.com" <jimwayda@officeformac.com> wrote:
>
>> John,
>>
>> I am using the product and have tried it otherwise I wouldn't have posted the
>> question. Don't be presumptions in situations where you have no evidence. A
>> humble approach is always best.
>>
>>> Well... That's the way it works.
>>>
>>> When posting in this forum, we would appreciate it if you actually try the
>>> product first, before posting your question.

>>>  --
>>>
>>> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>>> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!
>>>
>>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
>>> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
>>> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name
>>>

>  --
>
> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!
>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
CyberTaz
3/23/2010 10:32:59 AM
0
jimwayda
3/23/2010 5:25:36 PM
Hi Jim:

No probs:  Bob got up earlier than I this morning, he understood you :-)

Cheers

On 24/03/10 4:25 AM, in article 59bb5bcd.4@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"jimwayda@officeformac.com" <jimwayda@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Bob and John,
>
> Thank you for your responses. Bob is correct that I am attempting to reduce
> the level of zoom buy only want to have one page displayed on the screen
> rather than Word switching to displaying two pages per screen. Unfortunately
> there is no rational reason for doing this other than it is what I am used to
> and old habits die hard. After reading your response, I agree with you
> regarding the usage of the gray area and that two pages is appropriate and it
> is better to display two or more pages as the zoom value is reduced. John,
> sorry for the confusion. Maybe I should have stated my question more clearly.
>
> Regards,
>
> -jim

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.
Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410; mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John

Showing data per month & year for comparison
Hi, I need to show data for a particular month for 2 years (July 2004 vs. July 2005) and YTD data for 2004 & 2005 on the same pivot table. This will allow comparison between 2 months and YTD sales on the PT. I have grouped the dates and put them along the top of the pivot table and can choose month and year, but the YTD figures always change to the month figures. How do I get the YTD figures to not change when I choose a month? Confusing...yes. -- gman Hi, Can you upload a watered down version of the spreadsheet, because it is difficult to work out what the problem is? I will t...

Inserting a space where it's not wanted
I have Vista (64 bit) and Word 2007. Never had problems in word since I got the computer one year ago. Suddenly today, every time I type an apostrophe in a Word document (don't can't etc.), a tab space (about 5 spaces) is automatically inserted after the apostrophe. Can't delete it (and don't want it in the first place). No idea why it's happening. Checked my language, region and keyboard settings and everything is properly set to US. Does anyone have any suggestions? (As you can see, the apostrophe problem is only when I use Word.) Thanks in advance. ...

GAL web page
How can I create a web page listing names and phone numbers (possibly couple other fields from AD). I have ran across several CDO or ADSI samples for Exchange 5.5, but w are running Exchange 2000. Does anyone have ideas or code for me? It must be out there. Ideally, I would like to expand it to an in/out checkboard type o thing. For now, just publishing the phone list will work - cgraham158 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.webservertalk.co ----------------------------------------------------------------------- View this thread...

print labels
Can Excel print to an Avery label? If so, how do I do this? Thanks, Andre Not really, use mailmerge with Word http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom http://nwexcelsolutions.com "Andre" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:OWveirddGHA.3484@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Can Excel print to an Avery label? If so, how do I do this? > > Thanks, Andre > I have my names in Excel going across fname lname street etc. I then open Word and use mail wizard and follow it and give the excel file as its source Works great ...

windows 7 media player autorun
I know this is a vista group but i don't see a windows 7 group i had disabled autorun because i don't like it. however, if i'm playing music in wmp and i put in a cd that has video either dvd or wmv/mp4 files, wmp suddenly stops playing the music and starts playing the video files on that cd. if autorun is disabled, why is wmp automatically doing this? I) There're two completely different things and they're worth disabling both, despite very similar names: a) Autorun b) Autoplay. You can Google or Bing for: "disable autoplay in Windows", and...

Find/Replace command in Windows Live Mail
Does anyone know if the Find/Replace command is available in Live Mail. I cannot find it. If not, does anyone know of a suitable solution for that "will be missed" command. No, it's not. If you need to use Find/Replace, select all the text and 'cut' it. Then paste into Notepad where you can do the Find/Replace. When done, paste the result back into your email message. Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "LouiseL" wrote in message news:8C2EDC90-74F5-4D16-948F-461EACB0F3C3@microsoft.com... Does anyone know if the Find/Replace command is ava...

2 pivot tables on one tab
Is it possible to put 2 Pivot tables on the same tab in my workbook? Or does anyone have any ideas on what would be the best way to chart Capital Pircahses? I have 5 coums and 4 rows. The rows are per division, and the columns are for the disposal amount, gain or loss, book value, depreciation & purchase price. I already have one pivot table in my report. Would this be too repeatative? Thanks You can put multiple pivot tables onto a worksheet. If the second one is based on the same data, select and copy the first, select a cell some distance away, and paste it. Each pivot table...

Business Portal - Employee Pay
This window does not auto-populated from existing employee data in Business Portal HRM:SS. The Employee Profile/Dependent/Benefits etc. windows all populate immediately but the W-4 window requires that a Modify transaction be made by the employee and approved by the supervisor before it will display data. This is contrary to all other windows and confuses the employees. It provides a first-impression that is not good for their experience with Business Portal. Mike Lupro -- Mike Lupro ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestion...

Logging on to more than one HQ Database
Hi, we have several shops accross Europe where each country is using a separate Database in RMS. To connect with the HQ I created a small batchfile that imports the registry keys for the database the user has chosen into the registry and then starts the HQ Manager. That works fine right now because we are using 1.0 where the reg-keys are always the same. In 1.3 (which we will be upgrading to shortly) things are a bit different. Here the Connection Details are encrypted and are therefore from machine to machine. That means I cannot include the registry-keys in the installation routine be...

Summing in page footer
In my page footer section of a report I need to have a "Subtotal" which is "NonTaxable" + "TaxableNetAmt". Sometime my TaxableNetAmt will be 0. How can I make the Subtotal be the sum of NonTaxable and TaxableNetAmt? I have tried many different ways and I get #error. My control source for NonTaxable is = [NetAmount] and the control source for "TaxableNetAmt" is TaxableNetAmt. Or will be entered on teh form... THanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-reports/200706/1 On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 18:41:10...

Print bcc's on copy of sent message?
If *I* send a message and blind copy someone on it, is there any way to get Outlook to print the bcc recipients? Right now I'm having to handwrite the bcc's on my file copy. Would love it if Outlook would automatically print this. ...

backup ISP with one exchange server
we have one exchange 2003 server and we use a External ISP T1 connection and the ISP DNS which has the MX record. 10 email.domain.org (First ISP IP address for the email server) 20 email2.domain.org (second ISP IP address for the email server) We have a backup ISP connection that stays idle. when we switch over to the backup ISP connection (because the first is down) we cannot get the incoming email in. Outgoing works fine. How can we get the incoming email to route to the one exchange server with either ISP? On 18 Jan 2007 18:06:16 -0800, "zakmanx" <lskw360@sbcglobal.net&g...

Epson Stylus NX515 does not print, not even a Test page
I use Windows 7 and the Epson Stylus NX515 is on and the wireless light is also on. But it does not print. The documents are in the queue but do not print. Not even a test page. Here is a link to Epson trouble shooting site. Make sure when you want to print you pick your printer if there is a list of printers. "Ritter197" wrote: > I use Windows 7 and the Epson Stylus NX515 is on and the wireless light is > also on. But it does not print. The documents are in the queue but do not > print. Not even a test page. > > . > http://www.epson.com...

Sheet you want to copy contains the name...
When I copy a worksheet I get the repeated message box that the destination workbook already contains the name "a", "aa", "prntoutline", "ssd", "q" and "zz". I have to select yes to each message box to allow the worksheet copy to complete itself. I do not have these names within the worksheet (chekced by Insert>Name>Define). How can I delete these nsmaes that do not seem to exist? Thanks. Names can be hidden, so Insert=>Name=>Define may not show them. In the troublesome workbook make a blank sheet active, then go...

transferring macros from one PC to Another
Hi, I have some macros on one PC. The machine is very slow and I want to format it. But I want to transfer all my macros to a CD or another PC. Please help me in doing that. Tell me how can I do it. Thanks Much Suman Suman, to move to another computer you can export a macro and save it, to do this from your workbook, right-click the workbook's icon and pick View Code. This icon is to the left of the "File" menu this will open the VBA editor, click on the module you want to save and go to file and export file, then save it to a CD or what ever you backup to, then import it to the...

insert multiple page Word document into Excel
How do I insert a multiple page Word document into Excel so that I can view the pages by scrolling down the spreadsheet without opening or editing the Word document? Hi this is IMHO not the way Excel will work (and I doubt this is possible) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "S.W." <S.W.@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:D7087D76-A4F3-46BB-90A9-FEB054B24AEB@microsoft.com... > How do I insert a multiple page Word document into Excel so that I can view > the pages by scrolling down the spreadsheet without opening or editing the > Word doc...

Print to a file
My program has some methods that print to a printer OK. But I need to put labels on those files afterwards so it would be better to print them to a file first. The program calls GetPrinterDC() before starting the printing. Is there some update that will permit the user to print to a file? Thanks, E-Jo Hello E-Jo, Glad to see you. Generally speaking, if you want to save and add the information in current dc to a file, you can create a dc from a bmp and blt all informaiton from the src dc to the bmp. I notice you would like to put labels on a file after it is printed. I am afraid I...

Using Windows Mail in Windows &
I have been using Windows Mail (copied from Vista) in my Windows 7 computer for nearly 6 months without any problems. Now, since Windows update KB978542 was installed a couple of days ago it has stopped working. It appears as a running program in Windows Task manager but the user interface never appears. I have done a System Restore to before KB978542 and Windows Mail started working OK again, Repeated this three time so I have no doubt that it is KB978542 that has buggered it up. Has anyone else using Windows Mail in Windows 7 had this experience? Are MS purposely disabli...

Print Button
On my summary tab, I want to add a print button command that will print the entire work book if the button is pushed. How do I add the print button? Hi, First do the print setup for all the tabs then write a macro to print each tab create a button in summary sheet using toolbox assign the macro to this button Ratheesh ...

Problems with windows
I just got my computer cleaned up and downloaded some programs without having adobe back on and a window appeared and said "Windows cannot open this and gave yes and no options." I clicked "No." And a window opened and I moved it to Word and I can't open anything on windows any more. This comes up and I sure would like some wisdom on what to do. File Conversion: Select the encoding that makes your document readable Text encoding Windows default has a circle with a period in the center MS-DOS other en...

Userform
Hi all I have a problem I am using the following code, Private Sub cmdPrint_Click() frmOrders.PrintForm End Sub How is it possible to get the userform to be printed in landscape Thanks in advance Greg Greg, You could throw up a print dialog and allow the user to select landscape (and even the printer if required), and then print after, something like Private Sub cmdPrint_Click() Dim fOK As Boolean Dim sPrinter As String With Application sPrinter = .ActivePrinter fOK= .Dialogs(xlDialogPrinterSetup).Show End With If fOK= Then frmOrders.PrintForm...

Custom print comments in Excel 2007
Hi there There are two ways to print comments in Excel, either the WYSIWYG way (little stacked boxes over the actual worksheet) or as separate pages. Problem with the separate pages way: the comments get printed as Cell: B9 Comment: User name: Comment... Now, the cell number is not necessarly the easiest way to locate a specific cell. My question: would it be possible to replace the cell number with, for example, the content of the cell or the content of the neighboring cell? I'm not an expert in VBA programming, but if someone could point out where I should start to customiz...

Will my Office XP install on Windows 7?
I have Office XP. I need a new computer and need Outlook and Access on it. Will Office XP install on Windows 7? Yes it will, but Outlook will not retain account passwwords Office 2003 and later is fully compatible "glouces" <glouces@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8699F413-1E85-4CC3-BD05-856A8ECC578B@microsoft.com... >I have Office XP. I need a new computer and need Outlook and Access on it. > Will Office XP install on Windows 7? ...

Printing: repeating columns on left and RIGHT
I know in File-Page Setup I can specify the columns to repeat at the left of each printed page. For my spreadsheet however, I need to repeat some columns from both the left and RIGHT sides of my spreadsheet on each printed page. Is there a way to do this? ...

missing characters in printed copy
i created a mail merge document. just plain text with one single image(signature on letter). after completing/printing the job. we just realized that some characters are missing within the body of the letter. i cant figure out what seems to be or root of the problem. i tried to save the same exact document to previous version..(97-2003) and then tried to print a couple of sheets....it looks perfect. can somebody gave me info what may have caused that problem? here's some additional info: o.s. xp word 2007 printer : canon ir110 using pcl driver note: used the same fl...