Page a Day Diary

Version: 2008

I would like to create a page a day diary in word without having to type the date into 365 pages myself. Any ideas how to autogenerate the pages? <br><br>Phil
0
philterrett

Hello Phil,

On 2009.12.17 5:01 PM, in article 59baf36c.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"philterrett@officeformac.com" <philterrett@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I would like to create a page a day diary in word without having to type the
> date into 365 pages myself. Any ideas how to autogenerate the pages?

How do you want each page to look - what do you
want to see on each page? Lines? A page number?
The date of that day?

Would be nice to get some details, so we can direct you
to the best solution.

Jeff

0
Jeff
12/17/2009 12:18:55 PM
> On 2009.12.17 5:01 PM, in article 59baf36c.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;philterrett@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > I would like to create a page a day diary in word without having to type the <br>
> > date into 365 pages myself. Any ideas how to autogenerate the pages? <br>
> How do you want each page to look - what do you <br>
> want to see on each page? Lines? A page number? <br>
> The date of that day? <br>
> Would be nice to get some details, so we can direct you <br>
> to the best solution. <br>
> Jeff <br>

0
philterrett
12/17/2009 1:19:30 PM
Hello again, Phil,

On 2009.12.17 10:19 PM, in article 59baf36c.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"philterrett@officeformac.com" <philterrett@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Hi Jeff - I'd like the date at the top of each page.

If you were using Excel, this would be rather easy -
just reference the previous page's date, and add one.
It's quite easy to create a list of dates from January 1 to
December 31 this way.

However, the question is whether the same thing
can be done in Word. I looked into it quite a bit this evening,
and came to the conclusion that the best way to do this is
by using AppleScript.
For instance, you would start off in Excel by creating a list of
dates. Your AppleScript would index the first date entry in
Excel, copy it to the clipboard, paste it into Word, insert
a page break, return to the Excel sheet, index the next cell,
and then loop back to the beginning, reiterating this
364 times to create a page for each day of the year.
That's one possible method.

I experimented with using Automator for this, which will
_almost_ get you there, but I couldn't get the variable to
work correctly (doi). Someone else with more knowledge
might do better.

How you would accomplish this in AppleScript terms is
likewise a bit beyond my lacking knowledge level right now,
but hopefully someone else here would be able to fill
in the blanks. The workflow itself is pretty straightforward -
it's really just a matter of translating it into AppleScript
terms.

Jeff

0
Jeff
12/17/2009 3:28:57 PM
0
philterrett
12/18/2009 6:32:06 AM
Hello Phil,

On 2009.12.18 15:32, in article 59baf36c.3@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"philterrett@officeformac.com" <philterrett@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I'll have a think about other ways to do this - wouldn't have thought setting
> up a 365 page document with the date at the top of each page would be a
> problem, ho-hum.

Actually, setting up a 365-page document with the
date at the top _isn't_ a problem. Headers can contain
today's date, and that part is easy enough to set up.
It's making the date sequential for 365 days of the year
that's the big hurdle to overcome in this case.

As I mentioned, it's pretty easy to do in Excel with some
simple math. But in your case, you want to do it in Word;
and you want to have one page for each day of the year,
and have the dates appear automatically
in sequence. That requires some kind of internal math and
document automation, which is not Word's fort� (especially
without AppleScript or VBA).

On the other hand, if you select the Insert - Field command
in Word, you'll find a category called "Document Automation".
Word's help content is incredibly skimpy on this point and
will be of little use, but there's a very detailed document
at www.techsupportalert.com/pdf/e1182.pdf that you could
have a look at for some tips on how to use field codes
to perhaps achieve the result you're looking for without
AppleScript. (The article applies to Word for Windows, but
the basics are essentially the same in Word for Mac.)
This is a rather advanced feature, so don't be discouraged
if you can't figure it all out at once. I never use the
custom field codes or variables in the fields for Word,
just the basic ones like page numbers, document titles
and so on, so honestly, it's a bit beyond me at present.
(If the documentation was better, I would get into it,
but Microsoft provides very little help here.)

There's another web page called "Insert a date other than
today's date" (http://www.gmayor.com/insert_a_date_other_than_today.htm)
that discusses this, but the field codes featured there are
incredibly complex.
It seems like there would be a simpler answer...

Also, as I wrote last time, Automator will _almost_
do the trick - you can create an Automator workflow to
insert pages and do that x number of times in succession.
If you can figure out how to increment the variable
and get it to work, you may be able to get by without
learning any AppleScript or field codes at all ;-)

Jeff

0
Jeff
12/18/2009 8:04:37 AM
Hi Jeff and Phil,

it might actually be quite easy to do this if you combine the Excel
spreadsheet and the Word document via Word's Mail Merge Manager. You can
create the date list in Excel quite easily, and then set up a Word document
with Mail Merge Manager to have the date appear on each page. It should take
no longer than a couple of minutes to set this up. Phil, if this solution
sounds interesting to you and you need help the methods I have just
mentioned, post back.

--
Michel Bintener
Microsoft MVP - Macintosh

*** Please always reply to the newsgroup. ***

0
Michel
12/18/2009 8:38:31 AM
Hello Michel,

On 2009.12.18 17:38, in article C750FE17.987E%mbintener@NOmvpsSPAM.org,
"Michel Bintener" <mbintener@NOmvpsSPAM.org> wrote:

> Hi Jeff and Phil,
>
> it might actually be quite easy to do this if you combine the Excel
> spreadsheet and the Word document via Word's Mail Merge Manager. You can
> create the date list in Excel quite easily, and then set up a Word document
> with Mail Merge Manager to have the date appear on each page. It should take
> no longer than a couple of minutes to set this up. Phil, if this solution
> sounds interesting to you and you need help the methods I have just
> mentioned, post back.

I'd be very interested to see the results on this,
to see how it's done! :D

Jeff

0
Jeff
12/18/2009 8:57:54 AM
Hi Jeff,

> I'd be very interested to see the results on this,
> to see how it's done! :D

I've just tried it, and it works quite well. If Phil wants me to, I will
create the diary file for him, and I will e-mail you the file, too. And if
Phil is not interested, I can always send you the file, with detailed
instructions.

--
Michel Bintener
Microsoft MVP - Macintosh

*** Please always reply to the newsgroup. ***

0
Michel
12/18/2009 9:09:19 AM
On Dec 18, 8:38=A0am, Michel Bintener <mbinte...@NOmvpsSPAM.org> wrote:
> [...]
> > but Microsoft provides very little help here.)
>
> > There's another web page called "Insert a date other than
> > today's date" (http://www.gmayor.com/insert_a_date_other_than_today.htm=
)
> > that discusses this, but the field codes featured there are
> > incredibly complex.
> > It seems like there would be a simpler answer...
>
> > Also, as I wrote last time, Automator will _almost_
> > do the trick - you can create an Automator workflow to
> > insert pages and do that x number of times in succession.
> > If you can figure out how to increment the variable
> > and get it to work, you may be able to get by without
> > learning any AppleScript or field codes at all ;-)
>
> > Jeff
>
> --
> Michel Bintener
> Microsoft MVP - Macintosh
>
> *** Please always reply to the newsgroup. ***

Unless I'm missing something, there seems a much simpler way:
1. Generate the list of dates in Excel
2. Paste into Word
3. Use Find-and-Replace to add a page-break to each entry (and any
other text that needs to be on each page)

Dow
0
dow
12/18/2009 9:39:33 AM
Hello,

On 2009.12.18 6:39 PM, in article
4178f97a-3232-4b42-ab52-e4861311b7c6@q18g2000yqj.googlegroups.com, "dow"
<dow.smith@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unless I'm missing something, there seems a much simpler way:
> 1. Generate the list of dates in Excel
> 2. Paste into Word
> 3. Use Find-and-Replace to add a page-break to each entry (and any
> other text that needs to be on each page)

Incredible! This is an extremely simple and elegant solution,
taking me all of five minutes to set up and complete.
Nice work!

I was working under the impression that page breaks
were something that you had to insert using the
Insert - Break - Page Break command. So I got tied up trying
to think of all of the ways to insert a page break automatically
while still incrementing the calendar date.

The only thing I would make sure to do in your flow above
is to Paste Special into Word as unformatted text -
otherwise, you get the Excel cells pasted in as table cells,
which looks rather unseemly.

Once again, impressive work and a very creative solution -
hope the OP is happy!

Jeff

0
Jeff
12/18/2009 3:30:46 PM
Hello Michel,

On 2009.12.18 6:09 PM, in article C751054F.9885%mbintener@NOmvpsSPAM.org,
"Michel Bintener" <mbintener@NOmvpsSPAM.org> wrote:

> I've just tried it, and it works quite well. If Phil wants me to, I will
> create the diary file for him, and I will e-mail you the file, too. And if
> Phil is not interested, I can always send you the file, with detailed
> instructions.

Actually, once I got home this evening, I tried fooling
around with the Mail Merge functionality, and it was
pretty straightforward. I got it to work!
This is actually a rather flexible function, isn't it - and
your solution was very creative. Thanks for sharing that -
I learned something new.

Jeff

0
Jeff
12/18/2009 3:38:02 PM
0
philterrett
12/18/2009 3:39:46 PM
Thanks again Michael
0
philterrett

View Case once after Published, then Page Cannot Be Displayed
Hey all, I wanted to change the "Problem Resolved" message for closing a case to "Completed/Resolved". I did so, and then I published the changes. I opened a case, went to resolve it, and right after that it came up with "The page cannot be displayed." I went to change the message back to "Problem Resolved," published the changes, and viewed a case without a problem. I went to view a second case, however, and was greeted again by "The page cannot be displayed." I can now view a case exactly one time after every time I publish Cases, and after...

Downloading only a particular page/selective pages of a document from the internet or other file server
Hi, Many tools have the feature of printing a particular page or a continous range of selective pages. Similarly, Is there a free tool/protocol that will help in downloading a particular page of the document rather than the whole document(PDF or Word document or Linux based document files or PPT file or Excel file) ? It would be even more helpful if the tool has the feature of downloading multiple selective pages from the same document ! Similarly, is it possible to share only selective pages between two users rathre than sharing the complete document ? I think, s...

Unable to download templates_says server is down_for 3 days?
Unable to download Microsoft templates!!! For days! Please help -- SherBear412004 ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=d4d14ea5-53dd-4c0f-971c-6d4d71884450&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc ...

locking pages maximised in windows 7
How can I make the pages and folders open maximised IE fullscreen on windows 7 please, I would like them to open fullscreen by default. Dragging out doesnt work nor does F11 as the next time i open it is back to the third sized screen. cheers NR Sorry, but this newsgroup is for questions about Access, the database product that's part of Office Professional. You'd be best off reposting your question to a newsgroup related to Internet Explorer. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://www.AccessMVP.com/djsteele Co-author: "Access 2010 Solutions", p...

Customising page numbers
Hi, In MS Word, we can introduce the page numbers in header/footer and customize the starting page number from 2 or 3 ... instead of 1. I want to start the page number from 5 in Excel. Kindly help. - Krisunela Hi goto 'File - Pagesetup'. In the first tab is a textbox to enter your starting page (think this was introduced with Excel 2000) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Krisun wrote: > Hi, > In MS Word, we can introduce the page numbers in header/footer and > customize the starting page number from 2 or 3 ... instead of 1. I > want to start the page number fro...

Subreport starts on a new page
Hello I have a report/subreport object where the subreport starts on a new page although there is room on the last page of the report ( report prints 3 pages and page 2 is approximately 3/4 empty). The report has a grouping option - if I place the subreport in the group footer it prints at the end of each group - not the desired location as I need it to print at the end of the entire group. I have placed the subreport in the report footer and even created a different group, not really utilizing it as a group but making it the primary group element and placing the subreport in the footer of t...

Outlook 97 caused an invalid page fault
I have just installed Outlook 97 and can't open it; when I try I get th message Outlook caused an invalid page fault in module unknown a 0000:00000002 Registers I also have Outlook Express installed and it works fine. I have Win. 9 SE. Any advice will be greated appreciated Thanks ! Rue ralphharris@iquest.ne ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Saving page number from report
Hi, I have about a 200 page report that gets its data using every record in a table. I would like to have a field in each record for a page number and have the field filled as the report prints. I can then use that information to print various indexes and table of contents. Is there a way to assign the page number to each record as the report pirnts? If no is there a better way? Thanks, You can create a table for holding the page numbers. Then put code in the report's sections to write the values you need to that table. In the Report's Open event procedure, de...

high disk queue and pages/sec activity on mailbox servers
we have 3 Exchange 2003 mailbox servers that house our mailboxes. Exch1 and Exch2 house the majority of our mailboxes. On these two servers, I am seeing a high instance continually of DiskQueue and Pages/sec values while not so on Exch3. As an added note, we also have BES enterprise and Enterprise Vault in our environment. I only mention those because they interface with the mailboxes but my gut tells me that the problem is more related to the number of mailboxes on Exch1 and Exch2....Anyway, I'm new to troubleshooting Exchange so I'm looking for experienced directio...

Insert New Page and Keep Formatting.
I have a few questions. First, how do I insert a new page in a Newsletter and keep the formatting changes I made to the text. For example I changed my font to different sizes, but when I insert a new page it all resets back to the original newsletter template default font size. How do I prevent this from happening? Secondly, when I do insert a new page how do I add a calender? When I go to Page Content it says that you cannot change page content to pages that were INSERTED only the first 4 pages. Thanks, Matt mjcxp <mjcxp@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to u...

Blank aspx page
I do a redirect from a Cold Fusion page to an aspx page on the same site. Some people receive a blank page while most have a properly functioning aspx page. "jt22" <jt22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0189163F-6B8A-4707-93EB-314BD608C8C5@microsoft.com... >I do a redirect from a Cold Fusion page to an aspx page on the same site. > Some people receive a blank page while most have a properly functioning > aspx > page. I've had a similar issue recently with Internet Explorer (FireFox was fine), in my case it seemed to be relat...

Page Numbering #3
Is it possible to print the background page numbers as shown in the page break preview? If so, how Chas Page Setup > Header and Footer > custom footer/or header then click the # symbol -- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.clickonlingerie.com?SIG - Exotic Erotic Lingerie ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Chase" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3021633F-3A16-4432-9528-5FA7CE33B949@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to print the background pa...

Validate cell for date, as well as day of the week
I have looked through what is out there and I am not hopeful that this can be done, but here goes... I have a cell that will be populated with a date. I need to make sure that the date does not fall on a Saturday or a Sunday and that the date is not older than 2 days. I was hoping to be able to do both of these in a single validation, but I have a snag. The weekday function requires a cell, but I am validating on the current cell and, even though I do know what it is, i want to allow that that may change. How can I accomplish this? David I could not get data validation to work....

# of Days in Month
Hello all: I have a problem I hope someone can help with. Is there any way or function to return the number of days in a given month (the specific month given by the contents of a date formated cell)?? TIA for any assistance......... Laurie Forbes One way: =DAY(DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+1,0)) (for XL, the zeroth day of the month is the last day of the previous month) In article <3fcb9ba2.1712358@news.spots.ab.ca>, nospam@nospam.nospam (Laurie Forbes) wrote: > Hello all: > > I have a problem I hope someone can help with. Is there any way or > function to return...

how to insert month date year and day of week

Duplicate images appearing on other pages in preview
I have an 8-page booklet, with several images. On pages 2 & 3, if I select 'tight' as the wrapping style, the images then also appears on page 6 & 7 in preview, although not in the printout. If I select 'square' as the wrapping style, it's OK. Any ideas as to why this is happening please? Many thanks. -- Sara ...

Why does the layout on a page keep changing?
I am having the weirdest difficulty with Publisher 2007. I use Publisher to create a multi-page bulletin. I had one template I was using for a 12 page bulletin. I used that for about a year. Then I changed to a new template that was 8 pages with a different font. The problem I am having is that when I open one of the old bulletins now (and have done so on multiple PCs) the formatting is all messed up. Text boxes that were full of text are now showing as blank, and the spacing is all messed up. Why would Publisher do this? ...

Page No display
How to insert page no in a particular cells. I had tried with Header option in Print Preview menu, but after applying the same , Page no is not exactly comes in particular cells,either it may displayed above or below the cells. -- NITESH G ------------------------------------------------------------------------ NITESH G's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=17590 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=497514 ...

How do I always show page numbers?
I'm printing a small booklet and have set up page numbering on the master page. Some of the graphics in the book go right to the edge of the page. The graphic covers the page number. Is there any way top always display the page number in front of all graphics, textboxes, etc? There are options to place the page numbers, top or bottom, center, left/right. You can create separate master page and manually move the numbers. Look at sections. You can also create a text box on the page and manually insert the number if the object is covering the master page number. -- Mary Sauer ht...

Page Setup in Excel 2007
How can I get to page setup in excel 2007? They have hidden all the !$%&&@!! useful feature. All I want to do is set my row at the top and print like I have been doing for the last 10 years. Any thoughts on where / how you do this in excel 2007? Atttggghh. Why cant they bring the old interface back... it was so much easier. Thanks for your help... and thanks for letting me vent. Cheers, Mike Hi Mike One way In the Page Setup group on the Page Layout tab click on the tiny button in the bottom right corner -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm &quo...

pivot table page field hidden items
Is there a vba code that can determine the "pivot table page field hidden items"? I tried the "visible" property for the page field items. It returned "True" only for the "CurrentPage" item and "False" for all the others. You could set each item as the current page. Those that are hidden will create an error, instead of becoming visible. For example: '======================== Sub PageItemsHidden() Dim pt As PivotTable Dim pf As PivotField Dim pi As PivotItem Dim piCurr As String Set pt = ActiveSheet.PivotTables(1) Set pf = pt.PivotFiel...

How do I get my Pub 03 file to print 4 postcards per page?
My Pub 03 file printed 4 postcards per page. When I open it in the Publisher that came with Office 2007 it will only print 2 per page. I cannot figure out how to change this. Help!!! LJBYRON wrote: > My Pub 03 file printed 4 postcards per page. When I open it in the > Publisher that came with Office 2007 it will only print 2 per page. > I cannot figure out how to change this. Help!!! ============================= Try the followng steps: Open your post card in Pub 2007... Go to...File / Print Setup... Select...Multiple Copies Per Sheet Select...Landscape / OK Now go to...File...

Defaulting History View to All instead of Last 30 Days
CRM 3.0. From Contacts or Accounts, if users want to see History, the Closed Activity Associated View defaults to filter on Last 30 Days. How would I change the Closed Activity Associated View default filter to All? Thanks, Boolean1 On Aug 24, 9:07 pm, "Boolean1" <Boole...@verizon.net> wrote: > CRM 3.0. > > From Contacts or Accounts, if users want to see History, the Closed Activ= ity > Associated View defaults to filter on Last 30 Days. How would I change = the > Closed Activity Associated View default filter to All? > > Thanks, > > Boolean1...

Deleting "overdue" recurring bills on "my money" home page
Hopefully somebody can help me with this problem. I use Microsoft Money 2006 - Esential Bills. The problem is that I keep getting reminders on my money home page indicating that I still have some overdue bills dating back to 2006! These bills have already been paid I am unable to delete these reminders. I have gone to the "bill calendar" to skip or edit the transaction but I get a message saying "you have selected a transaction with an earlier payment date - select only the earliest occurrence and they you can record or skip the transaction." I have followed t...

blank page when launching CRM web site
Hi I think that I've installed everything correctly following the IG. However when I go to \\localhost\ I get a blank page with an error Line: 109 Char 1 Error: Syntax error Code:0 URL http://localhost/ Have I missed something? Regards Ian Williams Hi Ian, Did you get a response to this - or get it working at all, because I have encountered an identical error. Cheers Chris "Ian" <ianwilliams@hotail.com> wrote in message news:6kEeb.1611$kA.491555@wards.force9.net... > Hi > > I think that I've installed everything correctly following the IG. However...