opening word docs via hyperlink

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

When I attempt to create a link from a word document to another saved word document, intermittently I get a "cannot open document" error.  It does not seem to matter whether the document is saved as a doc or docx file.  When I open the document by itself (not via hyperlink), it opens.  Any ideas why this is happening?
0
Heathjp

It might be possible to offer a more definite reply if you'd included the
entire & exact error message, but my first guess is that there are spaces or
illegal characters in the file &/or folder names.

--
HTH |:>)
Bob Jones

<Heathjp@officeformac.com> wrote in message
> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor:
> Intel When I attempt to create a link from a word document to another
> saved word document, intermittently I get a "cannot open document" error.
> It does not seem to matter whether the document is saved as a doc or docx
> file. When I open the document by itself (not via hyperlink), it opens.
> Any ideas why this is happening?

0
CyberTaz

Font size changes in Excel 2003 charts when re-opened
For certain charts that I create within Excel 2003 (usually bar charts), I use a font size of 8 (eg for data labels, axis labels, and scale). If I close the file and then re-open it, all these fonts will have become size one (title and legend are not effected). Oddly, if I have created a bar chart and made several copies of it within a worksheet, it will only be the original and not the copies that are affected by this. If anyone can shed any light on why this may be happening and how it could be fixed, I would really appreciate it. Lucie ...

How do you Export the MS word 2007 Document map to a .csv file
I want to export the headings in a word document to a .csv file either through the document map or the body of the main document. Is there a way that this can be accomplished. If not is there a way to selct all hading s and copy them to a text file? Thank you. B. McFarlin Someone may come along with a macro to select all the headings at once, but you can certainly select all the headings in a given style at once. In the Find dialog, use Format | Style to select the desired style, leaving the "Find what" box empty. Then click "Find in" and choose &quo...

Hyperlinks in messages get "expanded"
I sometimes mention a web address or email address in the messages I send. For example, I may say "please look at www.microsoft.com " When I compose the message, such a reference becomes underlined and clickable and it still appears like that when the message is sent (in Sent Items.) However, when the recipient of such a message replies with my original message quoted, I will sometimes (but not always) see that these "clickable" references in my original have changed this way: please look at www.microsoft.com <http://www.microsoft.com > The mysterio...

Accessing email via OWA
We want to enable users to access their email remotely using OWA. We have a Watchguard Firebox 700 and I have configured an HTTP and HTTPS service using NAT to point to the Exchange server. It all seems to work fine but I sent an email off to Watchguard tech support to ask how secure the connection would be if we were not using VPN (as users may be connecting from their friend's PC's etc... which woul dnot have VPN connections setup...) The resonse I got from them was this.. "Assuming that your OWA IIS server is set up for SSL (certificate), then you should be all set." If...

open multiple workbooks at startup
Ever since i ran a macro that opened several workbooks, my Excel always opens the same workbooks. I have searched and deleted all the files that are being opened. Search shows they are in a sub-folder "Application Data", but this folder is not listed in explorer and the files that are opened are not found with a file search. another thing, the open files in Excel options is cleared to blank. How do I stop opening these files when I open another file? Dear Ron, you can find the folder application data if you switch on the view hidden files option in windows it will be in C:...

Excel 2002 File opening problem
While i m login through user login and try to open any old excel file its shawn that file not found and file not open, while i m open a new excel document its open and through open excel file i open an old document its open, its not shawn any error message. Also while i m using admin login or using any other user login on that pc there is no problem while opening any excel file. so pls. tell me whats the problem with that perticular user. In Excel go to Tools Options General and uncheck Ignore other applications. "Yogendrasinh Bihola" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com...

Where do I find the "empty bullet" in Word 2007?
I'm going Insert, Symbols, More Symbols, and I don't see it anywhere. the only thing I see that is close is the "DECREE" symbol and that is way too small. I see a lot of kids use the "empty bullet" for note-taking purposes. Thank you. ...

Open XML File Converter
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Any word on an update to this converter that resolves the "There is not enough memory or disk space to convert this document" bug on SL? I've seen it reported elsewhere so I'm assuming it's a known issue, but can't find any relevant info here. Thanks. On 11/2/09 2:33 PM, in article 59b7fd3a.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "elliotcolbert@officeformac.com" <elliotcolbert@officeformac.com> wrote: > Any word on an update to this converter that resolves the "There is not e...

Hyperlink to a file
Working in Excel2003, I'm trying to hyperlink to a .pdf, but the Acrobat window won't stay open. The knowledgebase says that it'll only keep a hyperlinked file open when it's "dirty" - when it's been modified since the last save (i.e., it's open on your desktop already because you're working on it). That seems pretty dumb to me, so obviously (I hope) I'm missing something. Any ideas? The other alternative that I see is for me to change this database over into Access in the hopes that it plays better with file linking. ...

Money 2002 Won't Open #3
Been using Money 2002 w/no problem for long time. Now it won't open at all. Window pops up when I first try, comes and goes so quickly I can't see what it says. Looks like letters and numbers, but hard to say. I have Windows 98. All other programs seem to work okay. Any ideas out there? Thanks. Read the posts please. There are literally hundreds over the past two weeks or so dealing with this issue. "Byron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:392c01c3fe12$e01f4d00$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Been using Money 2002 w/no problem for long time. No...

unable to open CRM web page
It seems that I can open the CRM web page from the server but not from any workstations. It also affected any clients that were using the Outlook client. I have tried opening the page using the ip address, and the FQDN of the the server and still didn't have any luck. Someone point me in the right direction. Hi Flip, Well a few things to try to narrow the problem down: 1. Can you ping the server with the IP address / FQDN? 2. Can you log into the server with a non administrator and get to the site locally? (may be a permission issue, set to run as local or network service) 3. Log...

collect data via email
We're looking for solution to collect intake data from multiple agencies (not on network), and get into our (currently 2003) Access database. With 2007, the 'EMail data collect' facility - can that collect and insert multiple rows with 1 email - or each email/form processes only 1 row..? thanks! don You will send a mail asking the user either to update a certain row or add information to a new record. So in both situations you are tied to single row processing... Secondly you have two options to choose from. Plain html which will present the user with a html emai...

embed function parameters/doc
The Embed function is incredibly undocumented. I'm trying to find out how it works. I understand the first param is the clsid. That's all I know. Any good documentation out there? Thank you ...

Cannot Open Office Outlook?
Whenever I try to open MicroSoft Office Outlook I get the following message.... Cannot open Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the outlook window. Please help. go to run (win + R) In the run window type outlook /resetnavpane(please note the space between Outllok and /) Hit OK or press the ENTER key on the keyboard. Manish Senior TSO (MS-Outlook and Office setup) manish.kashyap@gmail.com Can you open it in Safe mode as per below. If you can then let us know so we can advise you how to rectify the issue Start > Run > outlook.exe /resetnavpane (notice the space betwee...

Excel cannot open email program.
I often use "file.. send to... mail recipient" to send a spreadsheet as text in the body of an e-mail. I prefer that to sending excel as an attachment, since my recipients may not have excel and usually don't need to see formulas. On my new computer however I get the message "excel could not open the e-mail program" if I try the first option above. Both excel 2002 and outlook 2002 are working fine. I "repaired" office just to be sure. Still doesn't work. Only difference is that the computer came with a trial version of office 2003 which I don...

convert numbers to words
Hi all, simple question, how to convert number to words. ex. $ 10,000 ==> ten thousand dollars thanks hi see this site.... http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=213360 and this site.... http://www.sulprobil.com/html/spellnumber.html and this site.... http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/ValueToWords.htm yeah....it can get complicated. good luck. regard FSt1 "reza" wrote: > Hi all, > > simple question, how to convert number to words. > ex. $ 10,000 ==> ten thousand dollars > > thanks FSt1... Thanks "FSt1" wrote: > h...

Outlok 2003 Word Attachments are Read Only and in 2 page view
I have a client with Outlook 2003 and when he receives an email with a word doc attached and attempts to open it (rather than save it 1st) it opens in Word as read only and shows as a split screen (2 page book view). if he saves it to the drive 1st he can remove the read only attribute and then Word opens it normally. Any Ideas? Not sure why the view is different. My OT advice - always save attachments you want to edit, and then open them. Otherwise you're using a temp copy of the file & may lose changes. Marc Seidler wrote: > I have a client with Outlook 2003 and when he recei...

Hyperlink file
Hi All, I want to create a hyperlink to a file located on our network. The file name however is made up partly by some of the data in my record. The Field Name: QuoteID This is the files location>> W:\Drawings\[QuoteID].dwf Thanks Matt -- Matt Campbell mattc (at) saunatec [dot] com Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200709/1 What if I want it to show up in a datasheet view? Dale Fye wrote: >Use the click event of a command button or label to execute the > >application.followhyperlink method. > >Loo...

Hyperlink from Internet Explorer to Excel
I am using a HTML page with hyperlinks to Excel documents. This causes Excel to open within Internet Explorer, giving a different (non excel) interface to the user. I want the file to open within Excel, including all of the user's preferred toolbars, and without the web toolbar. Can this be done? ...

Trouble opening publisher docs from CD
I burned a CD containing publisher documents (all were changed from read only)for a associate to use. However, when the associate put in the CD, he could open the documents, but could NOT make any changes or additions. A box comes up stating something about "hidden" atributes or something like that. He also copied the entire folder into his computer and still couldn't make any changes or additions to the individual documents. What are we doing wrong. I appreciate any help to resolve this problem and thank anyone who may have the answer. Once those publications ar...

cannot open a file
1...when i try to open file i get message,cannot open" need to know which programme created it" I go to the web as directed where I find Publisher (iam sure that was the programme used) what should i do next? 2.... if I do not know which programme created a file, how do I find out which one did? thanks Look at the extension of the file. If it says .pub then it was created by Publisher. If you don't have extensions turned on, right click the file, properties, it should show the extension. If you always want to see file extensions, in Windows Explorer, folder options, view ...

Trying to open
I recently upgraded to Internet Explorer 8. On my previous version of IE, when I would click an excel file posted on the internet, it would ask if I wanted to open or save the file, and if i clicked open, it would automatically open up in excel. Now when I click an excel file on a website, it does absolutely nothing. Any help? Is it just a setting that was changed when I updated to IE8? I don't use MSIE8. But in older versions, I could rightclick on the link to the excel file and choose to save the file. After I save it locally, I can open it in excel. Tech Ques wrot...

toc with hyperlinks
I have a Word document which was created not knowing much about Word. Now, I'd like to add a TOC with hyperlinks to the major sections. How to do this ? Thanks in advance. Which version of Word are you using? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "John Grandy" <john.arthur.grandy-at-gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23Hw2VXb1KHA.5004@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I have a Word document which was created not knowing much about Word. > > Now, I'd like to add a TOC with hyperlinks to the major sections. > > How to do this ? > ...

Conditional Opening of Excel file
Hi, I have a complex workbook that relies on various SUMIF's from othe reference workbooks. If these aren't open, then obviously the formula don't work. As it's for someone else; I want a piece of VB so that when they *open the main workbook, it checks to see if the ref file is open, and i not, it automatically opens it for them. A bit like this sub worksheetopen '(Not sure where this should go in parent book) if workbook("Referencefile.xls") is NOT open then workbook("referencefile.xls").open endif endsub Any ideas folks?:confused -- Message p...

My publisher 97 files wont open in publisher 2003
I upgraded to Publisher 2003 from Publisher 97. Now I cannot open my old files. What do I need to do? Hi bmur33 (bmur33@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I upgraded to Publisher 2003 from Publisher 97. Now I cannot open || my old files. What do I need to do? 1. Are you getting an error message? 2. Are you sure they are Publisher 97 files and not Publisher 1.0 files? 3. Are you running Norton Antivirus? -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and co...