Off group subject but...how do MVPs follow threads ?s

I've been curious as to how a MVPs (or others with many posts and
replies) keeps track of posts/threads?

Do you download all threads?
Or leave online and let your "newsreader" maintain all history?
Or ____?

I've always done the former. I manage all newsgroup activity in my mail
program. I send a copy of my posts to myself and redirect a copy of all
replies. I often, well sometimes ;), access those archived posts but it
is somewhat time consuming process and I'm interested if there are more
efficient alternatives.

I've posted similar questions to this over the years on this Word
newsgroup and other newsgroups and either they've generated no response
or ones that were not very helpful. IMHO.

Thanks.

--
Norm
0

Hi Norm:

"Next Unread" and Google :-)

I use a threaded view in Entourage, and simply skip to "next unread".  If I
can't remember what was said, I read the rest of the thread.  If I can't
remember the answer, I use Google.

Cheers

On 25/01/10 12:22 PM, in article
gfidnU1X4uj6b8HWnZ2dnUVZ_vadnZ2d@speakeasy.net, "Norm"
<NOSPAM@gmail.invalid> wrote:

> I've been curious as to how a MVPs (or others with many posts and
> replies) keeps track of posts/threads?
>
> Do you download all threads?
> Or leave online and let your "newsreader" maintain all history?
> Or ____?
>
> I've always done the former. I manage all newsgroup activity in my mail
> program. I send a copy of my posts to myself and redirect a copy of all
> replies. I often, well sometimes ;), access those archived posts but it
> is somewhat time consuming process and I'm interested if there are more
> efficient alternatives.
>
> I've posted similar questions to this over the years on this Word
> newsgroup and other newsgroups and either they've generated no response
> or ones that were not very helpful. IMHO.
>
> Thanks.

matters unless you intend to pay!

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
1/25/2010 10:02:25 AM
While not a MVP, I use newgroups for a long time.  Hence I use a
newsgroup reader (now Mozilla Thunderbird). I don't use it as a
repository for research. Use groups.google.com for that.  I save posts
that are particularly useful for future reference as a PDF in a folder
on the computer.

May or may not be best practice; but it's what I do.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 25/01/10 01:22, Norm wrote:
> I've been curious as to how a MVPs (or others with many posts and
> replies) keeps track of posts/threads?
>
> Do you download all threads?
> Or leave online and let your "newsreader" maintain all history?
> Or ____?
>
> I've always done the former. I manage all newsgroup activity in my mail
> program. I send a copy of my posts to myself and redirect a copy of all
> replies. I often, well sometimes ;), access those archived posts but it
> is somewhat time consuming process and I'm interested if there are more
> efficient alternatives.
>
> I've posted similar questions to this over the years on this Word
> newsgroup and other newsgroups and either they've generated no response
> or ones that were not very helpful. IMHO.
>
> Thanks.

0
Rob
1/25/2010 11:10:54 AM
Much the same as Rob Schneider - not an MVP, use Thunderbird (mainly) to
follow current threads, and Google Groups to research older stuff.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 25/01/2010 01:22, Norm wrote:
> I've been curious as to how a MVPs (or others with many posts and
> replies) keeps track of posts/threads?
>
> Do you download all threads?
> Or leave online and let your "newsreader" maintain all history?
> Or ____?
>
> I've always done the former. I manage all newsgroup activity in my mail
> program. I send a copy of my posts to myself and redirect a copy of all
> replies. I often, well sometimes ;), access those archived posts but it
> is somewhat time consuming process and I'm interested if there are more
> efficient alternatives.
>
> I've posted similar questions to this over the years on this Word
> newsgroup and other newsgroups and either they've generated no response
> or ones that were not very helpful. IMHO.
>
> Thanks.

0
Peter
1/25/2010 3:19:13 PM
In article <C783B761.4A24%john@mcghie.name>,
 John McGhie <john@mcghie.name> wrote:

> "Next Unread" and Google :-)

Do you "subscribe" to posts of interest?

> I use a threaded view in Entourage, and simply skip to "next unread".  If I
> can't remember what was said, I read the rest of the thread.  If I can't
> remember the answer, I use Google.

Thanks.

--
Norm
0
Norm
1/25/2010 3:21:26 PM
In article <OzkMR8anKHA.6084@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
 Rob Schneider <rmschne@yahoo_but_not_often_checked.com> wrote:

> While not a MVP, I use newgroups for a long time.  Hence I use a
> newsgroup reader (now Mozilla Thunderbird). I don't use it as a
> repository for research. Use groups.google.com for that.  I save posts
> that are particularly useful for future reference as a PDF in a folder
> on the computer.

Thank you. Helpful.

Do you save your own posts or again use Google for that?

Do you find that Google retains posts forever?

Thank you.

--
Norm
0

My own posts by default (controlled by Thunderbird) go into my "Sent"
folder.  Amongst other things, Thunderbird is designed for newsgroup
work, so it has most the bells and whistles.

It appears as if Google retains posts forever since they started. I
don't know if have anyone going back to grab older postings from archive
servers or something.  Probably know. Who knows their plans for the future.

For this newgroup, per
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.mac.office.word/about,
it appears to go back to 2001.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 25/01/10 15:25, Norm wrote:
> In article<OzkMR8anKHA.6084@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
>   Rob Schneider<rmschne@yahoo_but_not_often_checked.com>  wrote:
>
>> While not a MVP, I use newgroups for a long time.  Hence I use a
>> newsgroup reader (now Mozilla Thunderbird). I don't use it as a
>> repository for research. Use groups.google.com for that.  I save posts
>> that are particularly useful for future reference as a PDF in a folder
>> on the computer.
>
> Thank you. Helpful.
>
> Do you save your own posts or again use Google for that?
>
> Do you find that Google retains posts forever?
>
> Thank you.

0
Rob
1/25/2010 3:44:08 PM
In article <#q92BHdnKHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>,
 Peter Jamieson <pjj@KillMAPSpjjnet.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Much the same as Rob Schneider - not an MVP, use Thunderbird (mainly) to
> follow current threads, and Google Groups to research older stuff.

Thanks.

Do you find that Google follows all the microsoft groups like this one.
I could not get it to return any of my searches if a restricted it to
this newsgroup. Curious why not.... maybe I have the settings wrong but
I've tried 4 or 5 searches and it does not return a thing.

--
Norm
0

Peter Jamieson wrote:
> Much the same as Rob Schneider - not an MVP, use Thunderbird (mainly) to
> follow current threads, and Google Groups to research older stuff.
>
> Peter Jamieson
>
> http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk
>
> On 25/01/2010 01:22, Norm wrote:
>> I've been curious as to how a MVPs (or others with many posts and
>> replies) keeps track of posts/threads?
>>
>> Do you download all threads?
>> Or leave online and let your "newsreader" maintain all history?
>> Or ____?
>>
>> I've always done the former. I manage all newsgroup activity in my mail
>> program. I send a copy of my posts to myself and redirect a copy of all
>> replies. I often, well sometimes ;), access those archived posts but it
>> is somewhat time consuming process and I'm interested if there are more
>> efficient alternatives.
>>
>> I've posted similar questions to this over the years on this Word
>> newsgroup and other newsgroups and either they've generated no response
>> or ones that were not very helpful. IMHO.
>>
>> Thanks.

mailto:pjones1@kimbanet.com
0
Phillip
1/25/2010 3:52:23 PM
In article <e8iE9UdnKHA.5344@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
 Rob Schneider <rmschne@yahoo_but_not_often_checked.com> wrote:

> My own posts by default (controlled by Thunderbird) go into my "Sent"
> folder.  Amongst other things, Thunderbird is designed for newsgroup
> work, so it has most the bells and whistles.

Thanks.

> It appears as if Google retains posts forever since they started. I
> don't know if have anyone going back to grab older postings from archive
> servers or something.  Probably know. Who knows their plans for the future.

Thanks.

> For this newgroup, per
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.mac.office.word/about,
> it appears to go back to 2001.

I'll try that group designation. I could not get any searches using just
the newsgroup name.

Appreciate the help.

--
Norm
0
On 2010-01-24 20:22:47 -0500, Norm said:

> I've been curious as to how a MVPs (or others with many posts and
> replies) keeps track of posts/threads?
>
> Do you download all threads?
> Or leave online and let your "newsreader" maintain all history?
> Or ____?

I use a newsreader.
In the past, I was using MacSoup, which allows you to subscribe to
threads and auto-subscribes to threads you posted in.
I am now testing Unison 2 which doesn't have that, so tracking down
threads "of interest" is a bit more complicated, but the authors of
Unison say something is coming for thread subscription to I have hopes
:-)

����������Corentin

--
          --- Office:Mac MVP  http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ ---

iso
1/25/2010 4:04:18 PM
 > Heck I am not even an Important
 > person

No person is any more important than any other person.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 25/01/2010 15:52, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:
> As Pete and Rob,  I am not a MVP. Heck I am not even an Important
> person, much less a MVP.
> I first base on my experiences.
> I save copies of all emails an newsgroup items I post, or post to. when
> they get too cumbersome. I stuff them and eventually move them to a DVD.
> and I research MS website or do Google search.
>
> Peter Jamieson wrote:
>> Much the same as Rob Schneider - not an MVP, use Thunderbird (mainly) to
>> follow current threads, and Google Groups to research older stuff.
>>
>> Peter Jamieson
>>
>> http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk
>>
>> On 25/01/2010 01:22, Norm wrote:
>>> I've been curious as to how a MVPs (or others with many posts and
>>> replies) keeps track of posts/threads?
>>>
>>> Do you download all threads?
>>> Or leave online and let your "newsreader" maintain all history?
>>> Or ____?
>>>
>>> I've always done the former. I manage all newsgroup activity in my mail
>>> program. I send a copy of my posts to myself and redirect a copy of all
>>> replies. I often, well sometimes ;), access those archived posts but it
>>> is somewhat time consuming process and I'm interested if there are more
>>> efficient alternatives.
>>>
>>> I've posted similar questions to this over the years on this Word
>>> newsgroup and other newsgroups and either they've generated no response
>>> or ones that were not very helpful. IMHO.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

0
Peter
1/25/2010 6:21:59 PM
This newsgroup is at
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.mac.office.word/topics

To find this yourself, go to groups.google.com.  in middle of what for
Google is a "busy" page, see "Explore Groups".  Can search for groups,
e.g. "microsoft.public.mac.office.word". From there you can do various
things with the group list (see function buttons at right).

I also use this Google interface via my iPhone when travelling.  Works,
but barely.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 25/01/10 15:56, Norm wrote:
> In article<e8iE9UdnKHA.5344@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
>   Rob Schneider<rmschne@yahoo_but_not_often_checked.com>  wrote:
>
>> My own posts by default (controlled by Thunderbird) go into my "Sent"
>> folder.  Amongst other things, Thunderbird is designed for newsgroup
>> work, so it has most the bells and whistles.
>
> Thanks.
>

>> It appears as if Google retains posts forever since they started. I
>> don't know if have anyone going back to grab older postings from archive
>> servers or something.  Probably know. Who knows their plans for the future.
>
> Thanks.
>
>> For this newgroup, per
>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.mac.office.word/about,
>> it appears to go back to 2001.
>
> I'll try that group designation. I could not get any searches using just
> the newsgroup name.
>
> Appreciate the help.

0
Rob
1/25/2010 6:45:31 PM
Norm,

My understanding is that Google follows thousands and thousands of
newsgroups for many years from now into the past. Probably terabytes of
material for you to explore.  See groups.google.com, the section
"Explore Groups" and from there you can find groups by category.

If you want to search with more sophistication, on that same page see
link to "Advanced Groups Search" which takes you to
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=&.

Enjoy.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 25/01/10 15:46, Norm wrote:
> In article<#q92BHdnKHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>,
>   Peter Jamieson<pjj@KillMAPSpjjnet.demon.co.uk>  wrote:
>
>> Much the same as Rob Schneider - not an MVP, use Thunderbird (mainly) to
>> follow current threads, and Google Groups to research older stuff.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Do you find that Google follows all the microsoft groups like this one.
> I could not get it to return any of my searches if a restricted it to
> this newsgroup. Curious why not.... maybe I have the settings wrong but
> I've tried 4 or 5 searches and it does not return a thing.

0
Rob
1/25/2010 6:47:49 PM
I do find Google Groups quite frustrating at times, not least because I
can longer work out how I can restrict its searches to NNTP groups
rather than the numerous sites that feed off NNTP.

However, I have to assume that my frustration is no different from
anyone else's in the sense that the number of "hits" for any given
search term is inevitably very, very large these days.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 25/01/2010 15:46, Norm wrote:
> In article<#q92BHdnKHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>,
>   Peter Jamieson<pjj@KillMAPSpjjnet.demon.co.uk>  wrote:
>
>> Much the same as Rob Schneider - not an MVP, use Thunderbird (mainly) to
>> follow current threads, and Google Groups to research older stuff.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Do you find that Google follows all the microsoft groups like this one.
> I could not get it to return any of my searches if a restricted it to
> this newsgroup. Curious why not.... maybe I have the settings wrong but
> I've tried 4 or 5 searches and it does not return a thing.

0
Peter
1/25/2010 6:50:26 PM
Anything older than five years is, by definition, "wrong" in computing, and
thus has a negative value.

Google lasts longer than that :-)

Cheers

On 26/01/10 2:25 AM, in article
w6KdnQAUtIB-KsDWnZ2dnUVZ_jBi4p2d@speakeasy.net, "Norm"
<NOSPAM@gmail.invalid> wrote:

> In article <OzkMR8anKHA.6084@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
>  Rob Schneider <rmschne@yahoo_but_not_often_checked.com> wrote:
>
>> While not a MVP, I use newgroups for a long time.  Hence I use a
>> newsgroup reader (now Mozilla Thunderbird). I don't use it as a
>> repository for research. Use groups.google.com for that.  I save posts
>> that are particularly useful for future reference as a PDF in a folder
>> on the computer.
>
> Thank you. Helpful.
>
> Do you save your own posts or again use Google for that?
>
> Do you find that Google retains posts forever?
>
> Thank you.

matters unless you intend to pay!

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
1/25/2010 9:03:15 PM
Hi Phillip:

You're very important to ME.

You are a customer.  You are the REASON I am here.  Without you and others
like you, I would have nothing to do.  I would have to find a new hobby.

You are much more important to me than I am to you.

You are also important to our "Community".  You were here from the start.
Hell, you were here before I was...  Whenever I think of "my friends in
m.p.m.o.Word" your face comes to mind.

Without people like you, this place would be just a "write-only" toxic soup
that would not attract any of the "stayers".

Phillip not important?  Bloody nonsense: far more important than you perhaps
realise, mate.

Cheers

On 26/01/10 2:52 AM, in article #TtanZdnKHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
"Phillip Jones, C.E.T." <pjones1@kimbanet.com> wrote:

> As Pete and Rob,  I am not a MVP. Heck I am not even an Important
> person, much less a MVP.
> I  first base on my experiences.
> I save copies of all emails an newsgroup items I post, or post to. when
> they get too cumbersome. I stuff them and eventually move them to a DVD.
> and I research  MS website or do Google search.
>
> Peter Jamieson wrote:
>> Much the same as Rob Schneider - not an MVP, use Thunderbird (mainly) to
>> follow current threads, and Google Groups to research older stuff.
>>
>> Peter Jamieson
>>
>> http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk
>>
>> On 25/01/2010 01:22, Norm wrote:
>>> I've been curious as to how a MVPs (or others with many posts and
>>> replies) keeps track of posts/threads?
>>>
>>> Do you download all threads?
>>> Or leave online and let your "newsreader" maintain all history?
>>> Or ____?
>>>
>>> I've always done the former. I manage all newsgroup activity in my mail
>>> program. I send a copy of my posts to myself and redirect a copy of all
>>> replies. I often, well sometimes ;), access those archived posts but it
>>> is somewhat time consuming process and I'm interested if there are more
>>> efficient alternatives.
>>>
>>> I've posted similar questions to this over the years on this Word
>>> newsgroup and other newsgroups and either they've generated no response
>>> or ones that were not very helpful. IMHO.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

matters unless you intend to pay!

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
1/25/2010 9:09:22 PM
In article <#HCcT6enKHA.5524@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>,
 Rob Schneider <rmschne@yahoo_but_not_often_checked.com> wrote:

> This newsgroup is at
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.mac.office.word/topics

Thanks. I did what I call a normal search in Google Groups and using the
newsgroup name as a filter got zero. I guess I need to learn a bit more
about Google Groups UI. ;)

> To find this yourself, go to groups.google.com.  in middle of what for
> Google is a "busy" page, see "Explore Groups".  Can search for groups,
> e.g. "microsoft.public.mac.office.word". From there you can do various
> things with the group list (see function buttons at right).

Helpful. Thanks.

> I also use this Google interface via my iPhone when travelling.  Works,
> but barely.

I'll give it a try.

Appreciate the help.

--
Norm
0

John McGhie wrote:
> Hi Phillip:
>
> You're very important to ME.
>
> You are a customer.  You are the REASON I am here.  Without you and others
> like you, I would have nothing to do.  I would have to find a new hobby.
>
> You are much more important to me than I am to you.
>
> You are also important to our "Community".  You were here from the start.
> Hell, you were here before I was...  Whenever I think of "my friends in
> m.p.m.o.Word" your face comes to mind.
>
> Without people like you, this place would be just a "write-only" toxic soup
> that would not attract any of the "stayers".
>
> Phillip not important?  Bloody nonsense: far more important than you perhaps
> realise, mate.
>
> Cheers
>

> On 26/01/10 2:52 AM, in article #TtanZdnKHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
> "Phillip Jones, C.E.T."<pjones1@kimbanet.com>  wrote:
>
>> As Pete and Rob,  I am not a MVP. Heck I am not even an Important
>> person, much less a MVP.
>> I  first base on my experiences.
>> I save copies of all emails an newsgroup items I post, or post to. when
>> they get too cumbersome. I stuff them and eventually move them to a DVD.
>> and I research  MS website or do Google search.
>>
>> Peter Jamieson wrote:
>>> Much the same as Rob Schneider - not an MVP, use Thunderbird (mainly) to
>>> follow current threads, and Google Groups to research older stuff.
>>>
>>> Peter Jamieson
>>>
>>> http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

> This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
> matters unless you intend to pay!
>
>   --
>
> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
> +61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

mailto:pjones1@kimbanet.com
0
Phillip
1/25/2010 10:38:14 PM
Norm,

Really strange results.  I don't know what you mean "normal search". So,
I'll give you a few un-named things to try.

1

Go to this Mac Word group:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.mac.office.word/topics

Upper right corner a search box. Type in "how do mvps follow threads".
press "Search this Group".  Hits get returned.

Works.

2

Go to http://groups.google.com/

Go to the big search box at top.  Type in "how do mpvs follow theads".
Press "Search groups".  Hits get returned.  Lots more as more groups are
searched.

3

Go to http://groups.google.com/

Press "Advance Groups Search" link at top right corner.

See a much more sophisticated search query interface.

Experiment.

=======

If all of the above do not work for you, it must be in one of those
countries that put a filter up between your computer and Google's
computers.  That is the only explanation I have for why you get no hits.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 25/01/10 21:58, Norm wrote:
> In article<#HCcT6enKHA.5524@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>,
>   Rob Schneider<rmschne@yahoo_but_not_often_checked.com>  wrote:
>
>> This newsgroup is at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.mac.office.word/topics
>
> Thanks. I did what I call a normal search in Google Groups and using the
> newsgroup name as a filter got zero. I guess I need to learn a bit more
> about Google Groups UI. ;)
>>
>> To find this yourself, go to groups.google.com.  in middle of what for
>> Google is a "busy" page, see "Explore Groups".  Can search for groups,
>> e.g. "microsoft.public.mac.office.word". From there you can do various
>> things with the group list (see function buttons at right).
>
> Helpful. Thanks.
>

>> I also use this Google interface via my iPhone when travelling.  Works,
>> but barely.
>
> I'll give it a try.
>
> Appreciate the help.

0
Rob
1/26/2010 7:41:53 AM
In article <#I0#IslnKHA.4124@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
 Rob Schneider <rmschne@yahoo_but_not_often_checked.com> wrote:

> Norm,
>
> Really strange results.  I don't know what you mean "normal search". So,
> I'll give you a few un-named things to try.

Got it. My mistake.

I was starting at: http://groups.google.com/grphp?tab=wg&q=

But when I was filtering for: <microsoft.public.mac.office.word> I was
entering it incorrectly.

Sorry. :-(

But thanks for the other entry points to Google Groups. Helpful.

Norm

--
Norm
0

How do I edit the subject line of emails that I've received?
I used to be able to edit the subject line of my received emails that are in my Inbox. Some people do not know how to compose a helpful subject line. :) Somehow I hit the wrong key or the wrong button, and now my ability to edit is gone. I can't figure out how to do it again, and I can't find it in Help topics. I might not be searching for the correct phrase, though. Any help would be SO appreciated. Thanks! Reply to the email, change the Subject line and then close it, saving the changes. "e11en" <e11en@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Best to have all one's styles in "Normal Template" ?
I assume one can save styles to other than one's Normal Template. Do the experts recommend also saving any added styles to the Normal Template so that one Template contains all of one's styles? Or perhaps, if it is advisable to have one template have them all, it is best to have that repository be a template other than the Normal Template? Thanks for any advice. -- Norm Hi Norm: I recommend having different templates for the different types of documents that you create. In them, I suggest keeping the built-in styles defined for each document type. I rar...

Distribution group
I am having a problem with a distribution group. There are 2 members, one receives mail and the other doesn't for some reason. If I send a message internally they both receive it however any mail coming into this address externally is only received by the one user. I just added myself to the distribution list and have the same problem - I can receive internal email to this address but not external. One user gets it all fine. Any ideas? Thanks Dave How have you configured the distribution group? Also, I assume that you have no problem which is sent directly to you from and external ...

Groups of people from Contact list to send BCC Outlook 2003
I have a large Contact list and wish to send emails to groups of people without others seeing the names of others. Distribution lists in Outlook 2003 show everyone names in BCC. What should I do? Are you saying that if you put the distribution list in the BCC field, the recipients can see all the names? You're not putting anything in the To or CC fields, or perhaps just your own address? If that's the case, something at the server level is causing all the addresses to appear. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please...

Toolbar Button's abnormal behavior
hi All! I am developing a project in which i am using a toolbar having 3 buttons only. I want to change the bmps on one particular button(the 3rd button) at runtime and i had successfully done that, but, there is a problem, when my program creates the same view again(by clicking on a button) it displays 4 buttons, the fourth button have the same BTN_ID as the 3rd button, but, it doesn't toggle the image where the 3rd button toggles image. I did check the onInitialUpdate in my View class , OnCreate of CMainFrame. But i am not creating any other button in this toolbar at runtime. Would...

How can I use my Access list to email selective groups?
How can I use an Access List to email selective groups without having to go to my Outlook Address Book? ...

Grouping mails by their date received
Hi there, I would like to group my mails on "Received" date so as to figure out my activities on a particular date. Microsoft Outlook 2K SR1 allows its users to format the columns the way they want and group mails by those columns (except columns with formula) When I customize the "Received" column with "mm/dd/yy" format and group by it, Outlook falls back to the original format ignoring my customization. This results in a useless view in which Outlook groups the mails upto minutes accuracy and ends up puting one mail on each group and creating as many groups ...

That's correct
Even in my own contacts folder, the distribution lists do not work. It doesn't underline the name of the list--therefore, it must not recognize it at all. Stockmoose16 wrote: > Even in my own contacts folder, the distribution lists do not work. It > doesn't underline the name of the list--therefore, it must not > recognize it at all. Have you tired recreating mail profile? -- If my message is helpful, please help me by registering at http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/Join and voting for the following issues: http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=24969 http://...

Option Group 04-19-10
I am new to using option groups. I will have several of them that will be a value of 1-5 and want to total them up in a report. Do I need a field for each option group? Are there field names that can be used to make it easier to total, ie grp1, grp2, etc.? Thanks, Les You've told us "how", but not "what". "How" depends on "what"! If you have data with values of 1-5, and "several of them", is there a chance you are working with something like a rating scale, or a survey? If so, you may benefit (*and get more...

Money 2005 rounding problem on IRA's
Hi, When I set up my Roth IRA on Money 2005, my $2,000 investment becomes $1999.99. Is this a rounding problem, and how do I fix it? Thanks, Gary You don't really give enough information to answer for sure. (Was it one investment or multiple? What was it invested in? Is it an Investment Account? Etc.) Probably the way you fix it--given my guess of what your issue is--would be to edit the buy transaction and delete the share price and reenter the total value. You may have to delete all four of shares, share price, total value and commission and then go back and re-enter everyth...

<no subject> 02-25-07
no ...

Concurrency with threads?
I was hoping to get some insight into how best design for concurrency in my program. I'd basically like to send a data object to various funtions simultaneously without waiting for their returns. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the best way to do this would be with threads. The application I'm writing receives messages from a server and then feeds them off to other class functions that need to use the data simultaneously. Below is what I'd like to avoid, as one function must execute and return before the next one is run. void DataManger::OnGotSomeData(DataO...

automatically saving a workbook as today's date
I have set up a template and run a macro that copies information fro one workbook to another, then saves the changes and then closes. Thi is fine, but before the workbook closes I am trying to get the macro t rename the template with today's date, but without success. I have pu =today() in cell a1 and try to get the vba to look at this cell befor closing but it just saves the template as (a1).xls instead of today' date. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong. Your help will be gratefully received regards Steve Jackso -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way: ...

Federal Tax Refund
MS Money 2008 Plus Premium. I'm trying to decide what category/category group to place a Federal Tax Refund in. I see a Category Group under INCOME titled "State/Local Tax Refund". There is also a Category Group under EXPENSE titled "Federal Taxes". I'm not sure of the implications behind this decision. Any thoughts? There is no one right answer. Personally, I have expense categories for ___ Taxes - Previous Year (for Federal and State) and use those. I think those are in some Taxes category group. But category groups are of such limited utility that I proba...

Calculating Averages but excluding zero's
Hi, i want to calculate the average of a column but exclude anyzeros in that column. For example: If column A1 contained 2, 2, 0, 2, 2, 0 then the average would be 2. (8/4) NOT (8/6) Thanks. -- fodman ------------------------------------------------------------------------ fodman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31941 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=555103 Try this: =AVERAGE(IF(A1:A6>0,A1:A6)) Enter this as an array formula. Use CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER instead of just Enter. HTH, Elkar "fodman"...

Links Messed Up When Posting to Groups
When I post to a message group my links (URL's and e-mail addresses) are changed by either Outlook or the group. Here is how I have written the message: Steve Lockridge steve@websitewarehouse.com CLIENT SPOTLIGHT - The airing of ABC's two-hour "Nick Family" special Extreme Makeover: Home Edition has been scheduled for this Sunday, August 14. The newly redesigned Morgan Nick Foundation web site (www.morgannick.com) will also be revealed this weekend. Congratulations Colleen, Logan and Taryn! Here is how it appears to the group: Steve Lockridge HYPERLINK "mailto:steve...

Count by short date and group by agent name
I have a tracking table (tbl_Tracker) that now contains date and time in one field [Date] and agent name in another field [SLR]. I would like run a query to do a count of number of records by agent by day. How do I set up the query to recognize only the date and not the time. I have Group By [SLR], Count [SLR] and Group By [Date], however it shows a record for each date and specific time instead of grouping the whole day. Then I need to build another query that looks at another table (tbl_SL_Call_Stats) for number of calls handled [Handled] by day [Date] for a date range and ...

Viewing other's peoples Calendars/Inbox with OWA
Hi all - I found this article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257889 However, we are using Windows 2003 AD with Exchange 2003 SP1 (single server). I found a SERIOUS error with this link in the KB article: http://virtual_server_name/exchange/username/calendar Anyone in our organization can use the above link to check ANYONE'S EMAIL, or CALENDAR, even if that calendar or email is set up to not share. How do I fix this? Thanks all! -Blake On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:36:34 -0400, "Galvanon" <galvanon@online.nospam> wrote: >Hi all - > >I found this articl...

font sizes for To, From, and Subject text boxes
How do you change the font sizes for these 3 textboxes when composing an email? When you set the fonts under Options->Mail Format, only the font in textarea for the message body gets changed. Thanks, Ernest Correct. That's what that setting is for -- to change the message font. If you want to change the font sizes of other elements, you'd have to design a custom form. In some cases, changing the overall Windows font size might also have an effect. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Dev...

Tender(s) Received not exporting.
I have mapped my GL accounts and verified that I have done it correctly with my CPA. But Quickbooks still said the entry was out of balance. So I followed some advice in a previous thread and posted a test batch to XML instead to find the imbalance. To my surprise, there were no entries whatsoever for tender received. Everything else was there, Sales, Tax, On/To Account, but no tender received. Needless to say, this would cause the transaction to be out of balance. I double checked to be sure that I have assigned GL accounts for the Tenders, and I had. So I tried again and still ...

Hide a modal dialog by a thread
Hi all I am writing an application, using a module. And that module show a modal dialog when i run my app. Now i want to create a thread in my app, that thread will check if that module display a modal dialog, then my thread will hide that dialog. Any way to do this? Pls let me know if you know. Thanks very much. "Duy Trinh" wrote: > Hi all > > I am writing an application, using a module. And that module show a modal > dialog when i run my app. Which module do you speak about? Module is a broad concept.. Perheps you mean a dll?? > Now i want to create a...

microsoft.public.access not subscribed group
microsoft.public.access not subscribed groupmicrosoft.public.access not subscribed groupmicrosoft.public.access not subscribed group ...

multi-threaded control not destroyed on exiting the page?

terminate a thread from another one
Hi All, I have a worker thread (used AfxBeginThread) performing a lengthy operation. I want to give the user an option of stopping the process. This should terminate the worker thread. An option would be to use some class-level flag in an if statement and call AfxEndThread() . Is there not another way to do this, e.g communicating between threads. If yes, some sample code would be most helpful. Many thanks Since your worker thread is a loop, you should just exit out of the loop. You don't have to call AfxEndThread to end a worker thread. So set a flag in the worker threa...

Thread scheduling vs Process scheduling
Hi In WinCE, the scheduler does a thread scheduling instead of process scheduling? What is the difference between the thread scheduling and the process scheduling and what are the advantages of the thread scheduling over process scheduling ? regards, T Dilip Chakravarthy On 3/5/2010 1:10 PM, Dilip wrote: > Hi > > In WinCE, the scheduler does a thread scheduling instead of process > scheduling? What is the difference between the thread scheduling and the > process scheduling and what are the advantages of the thread scheduling over > process scheduling...