not enough memory or disk space to display or print the picture after 1st time

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Power PC

0
blachman

One possible cause: You're *way* behind on Tiger -- it's been at 10.4.11 for
quite some time now, so that's the first step to take. Visit Apple Downloads
& fetch the COMBO updater: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

What about Office 2004... Are you behind on that as well? 11.5.6 is the
current update level. Run Help> Check for Updates in any Office app.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 4/15/10 5:27 PM, in article 59bb6fe6.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"blachman@officeformac.com" <blachman@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC I
> know this topic has been covered before, but not in the way I get the problem.
> I can open a document with a math formula or a graphic the FIRST time and it
> will correctly display.  Any changes to the document or any subsequent
> openings I then get the error message, "not enough memory or disk space to
> display or print the picture".
>
> eMac 1.25 Gz 10.4.6, Word 2004
>
> Thanks.

0
CyberTaz
4/15/2010 10:09:16 PM
"Not enough memory or disk space..." is a very old, generic error message
that simply means "A read from file failed".

All the software really knows is "Something that I tried to place in the
computer's memory was not there when I went to look for it."

The software doesn't know why.

In your case, it's because Word can no longer read the document.  A Word
document is a "folder" of components, one of which is the graphic.  The
document contains multiple subfolders: some store styles, some store
graphics, some store various components of the text.

When Word attempted to display the document, it found that there should be a
graphic.  When it looked in the folder where the graphic was supposed to be,
either the graphic wasn't there or it couldn't read it.

In your case, chances are the missing updates mean that the graphic is in a
newer format than Word, so it can't read it.

Hope this helps

On 16/04/10 7:27 AM, in article 59bb6fe6.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"blachman@officeformac.com" <blachman@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC I
> know this topic has been covered before, but not in the way I get the problem.
> I can open a document with a math formula or a graphic the FIRST time and it
> will correctly display.  Any changes to the document or any subsequent
> openings I then get the error message, "not enough memory or disk space to
> display or print the picture".
>
> eMac 1.25 Gz 10.4.6, Word 2004
>
> Thanks.

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John
4/15/2010 11:01:12 PM
Thank-you Bob and John.  I was wrong in stating my versions.  I was doing that by memory from my workplace and this computer is at home.  I do have Tiger 10.4.11 and I never do other than combo updates.  I also have the latest Word 2004 (11,5,6) <br><br>The problem is when I FIRST display the document I can read all graphics and math formula.  It's only if I do anything to the document (such as copy a portion to another document) or print it as a pdf AND THEN save the Word document that, when I NEXT open it I cannot see the graphic/math formula that I could when I first opened it and I get the &quot;memory&quot; error. <br><br>What I've found is that if when I first open the document and then print it as a pdf document (using the Adobe add-in) then I can at least preserve all the graphics, etc. because they get lost on future openings of the document.  If I then copy the Word document to my PC at work and try to open it I get the same error.   <br><br>But, why is it that I can originally see the entire document in all its glory, but not subsequently?
0
blachman
4/16/2010 12:10:26 AM
The document is corrupt.  It's probably the equations.

Make a copy of the document and remove all the equations.

Save that and see if it is OK.

If it is, re-make the equations.  DON'T copy any of them, or you may copy
the problem.

If there are too many, you can use a "Binary Search" to find the bad one:

1)  Open the document
2)  Press Command + period (.) to stop the repagination.
3)  Change the View to "Draft"

If Word crashes when you do this, then you will have to go back and get a
fresh copy of the document.

4)  Divide the file in half, and save both halves under new file names.
5)  If there is only one corrupt equation, the bad one will be in one half
document, the other half document will behave properly.
6)  Divide the bad half in half... And again...  And again...
7)  Keep this up until you have only one equation in each half :-)  Then you
know which the bad equation is.
8)  Re-type the bad equation into the GOOD document.  Do NOT copy any part
of the bad equation, or you will copy the problem and you'll have to start
over.

This method will keep everything in the document except the bad equation(s).

Sadly, there may be more than one bad equation.  Or the problem may not be
an equation: it may be a table, or a graphic, or a paragraph.

Cheers

On 16/04/10 10:10 AM, in article 59bb6fe6.2@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"blachman@officeformac.com" <blachman@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Thank-you Bob and John.  I was wrong in stating my versions.  I was doing that
> by memory from my workplace and this computer is at home.  I do have Tiger
> 10.4.11 and I never do other than combo updates.  I also have the latest Word
> 2004 (11,5,6)
>
> The problem is when I FIRST display the document I can read all graphics and
> math formula.  It's only if I do anything to the document (such as copy a
> portion to another document) or print it as a pdf AND THEN save the Word
> document that, when I NEXT open it I cannot see the graphic/math formula that
> I could when I first opened it and I get the "memory" error.
>
> What I've found is that if when I first open the document and then print it as
> a pdf document (using the Adobe add-in) then I can at least preserve all the
> graphics, etc. because they get lost on future openings of the document.  If I
> then copy the Word document to my PC at work and try to open it I get the same
> error.
>
> But, why is it that I can originally see the entire document in all its glory,
> but not subsequently?

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John
4/16/2010 6:39:01 AM
Hello John, <br><br>Thanks for the advice.  I'm still mystified, though, why I can originally see everything, but it is only after saving the document that I get the apparent corruption.  This only seems to happen from documents I have received over the years from a single source and I believe those documents were prepared on Mac Word X or earlier.  I think what I have is more of a problem with Mac Word 2004 because there has been an episode when I opened the apparently corrupted document using Mac Word X and I could read it.  Since I didn't prepare the graphics or math equations on these documents deleting them won't help me much since I wouldn't know how to replace them.  Is it possible that Word 2004 is corrupting documents that were prepared in earlier versions? <br>
Thanks. <br>
Branton
0
blachman
4/16/2010 6:45:05 PM
Never ask "Why" in this forum or we'll be here all night :-)  The bottom
line is that without a software engineer spending a month ratting around in
the code, nobody can tell you "why", and knowing why is not going to fix it.

The corruption is always in the document: the issue is that Word does not
attempt to read that section of the code until you attempt a Save.

When you save a Word document, Word reads all the code and re-creates it in
a new file.  Interestingly, it does this in an attempt to REMOVE corruption,
which could otherwise lie dormant in the file for many years.

It is entirely possible that Word 2004 is not compatible with the code
prepared by earlier versions.

If you can print, you may be able to save out to RTF or to a Web Page.  Try
that: you will lose some formatting and some quality, but you may be able to
save enough for your purposes.

To fix those documents, you are going to HAVE to re-create the content, so I
hope you can find the author and ask them how to do that.

Cheers

On 17/04/10 4:45 AM, in article 59bb6fe6.4@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"blachman@officeformac.com" <blachman@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Hello John,
>
> Thanks for the advice.  I'm still mystified, though, why I can originally see
> everything, but it is only after saving the document that I get the apparent
> corruption.  This only seems to happen from documents I have received over the
> years from a single source and I believe those documents were prepared on Mac
> Word X or earlier.  I think what I have is more of a problem with Mac Word
> 2004 because there has been an episode when I opened the apparently corrupted
> document using Mac Word X and I could read it.  Since I didn't prepare the
> graphics or math equations on these documents deleting them won't help me much
> since I wouldn't know how to replace them.  Is it possible that Word 2004 is
> corrupting documents that were prepared in earlier versions?
> Thanks.
> Branton

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John
4/16/2010 9:49:20 PM
Hello John,   <br>
Thank-you again for your advice and further clarification on how Word reads the code.  Since some of these files are pre-2004 I think you must be right that it is entirely possible that Word 2004 for Mac corrupted them.  I will contact the source to see if newer files are available.  By the way, I was unable to save as a web page - getting the same error message.  Saving as an rtf document displayed the same blanks for the missing images.  Opening in Neooffice, Pages and Word X was unsuccessful.  So, it seems my best chance is to contact the source. <br>
Thanks again, <br>
Branton
0
blachman
4/17/2010 5:12:23 AM
The missing images gives you a clue: chances are, the missing ones are the
bad ones.

On 17/04/10 3:12 PM, in article 59bb6fe6.6@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"blachman@officeformac.com" <blachman@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Hello John,
> Thank-you again for your advice and further clarification on how Word reads
> the code.  Since some of these files are pre-2004 I think you must be right
> that it is entirely possible that Word 2004 for Mac corrupted them.  I will
> contact the source to see if newer files are available.  By the way, I was
> unable to save as a web page - getting the same error message.  Saving as an
> rtf document displayed the same blanks for the missing images.  Opening in
> Neooffice, Pages and Word X was unsuccessful.  So, it seems my best chance is
> to contact the source.
> Thanks again,
> Branton

matters unless you intend to pay!

 --

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word); Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd, Sydney, Australia.

0
John
4/17/2010 9:48:46 AM
Branton
0
blachman

printing 2 charts on single page

Excel Opens Without Displaying Workbook

Display of UML State Transition Event
Dear Group, I am attempting to use the UML Statechart with a couple of states and a transition between them. I select properties, Events, Change Event type, say, and can see ChangeEvent1 in the property window but... ....when I Ok back to the drawing the ChangeEvent1 is not displayed by the transition. I can enter actions in a similar way and they are displayed. How cna I get the event visible too in the drawing? Surely this is the most important aspect of a transition i.e. what caused it, regards, Colin Smith ...

printing multiple copies of Sigel GmbH

printing imported gif files in Excel

question about Time

Time Clock Systems
Does anyone have a recommendation for a time clock system that integrates well with GP? On Oct 5, 10:20 am, kcd <k...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does anyone have a recommendation for a time clock system that integrates > well with GP? We just implemented Time Matrix by Business Computers (www.business- computers.com) and are very happy with it. We implemented quickly the hardware wasn't propietary or complicated so we were able to source our own stuff. Troy I can speak highly of Unitime's time and attendance system. They are a relatively low cost solution t...

Short time vs short date

Problem displaying expected results with CString
I am writing a MFC program to import data from a single table database into a normalized database with numerous tables. The first component opens a recordset object to the database and performs some basic tests on the field value, and the plan is to write the records out to a spreadsheet that fail to meet any of the criteria defined for the field. Along with writing out the record, I want to populate a comments field describing what failed. I have tried to implement this with a CString variable; I initialize it to a blank string each time a new record is examined, and then as each field is che...

CRM Email Displays Size=2>

Picture control on a form
What is the best way to fill a form with a picture control so that when the client window is resized the picture control will fill the form? -- Just Al Take a look at this and see if this is what you want: http://www.codeproject.com/dialog/bmpdlg01.asp Tom "Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5BEA0FA2-3F95-4090-B908-A75DBF1D19DE@microsoft.com... > What is the best way to fill a form with a picture control so that when > the > client window is resized the picture control will fill the form? > -- > Just Al Thank You! -- Just Al &...

TSP100 printer and print width
Hi all, After pull my hair out for a half of day, I just find out that TSP100 printer driver reports its print width incorrectly when we use GetDeviceCaps to retrieve print width. Call GetDeviceCaps with PHYSICALWIDTH will report 1725 that is roughtly equal to 8.5 inches corresponding to 203ppi that LOGPIXELSX reported. Just let you all know This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C92EF4.F767C240 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable After you installed the printer, did you change the p...

Printing in reverse order
When I try to print from excel and want the apges to print in reverse order (i.e first page of document printed last) even if I select this feature from the print setup exel still prints the first page first!! Is there a fix available?? I use Office XP (2002) and HP printers Thank you Printing options available in Excel are limited by the available connected printer(s). Any issues with printing are generally associated to the printer and drivers installed, not with Excel itself. Verify your printer actually supports reverse printing and that you have the latest drivers installed for ...

Printing contacts finally partially repaired
Two printing problems with Outlook 2007, the first solved, the second still not solved. First: So, finally, I don't know when, Outlook was repaired such that one could print out individual contacts as detailed address cards. This was broken for quite some time. Anyway, now those of us who choose to print out copies of address books are once again rewarded with this possibility. BUT..there is always a but, Outlook does not yet completely properly format the printing for all of the book and booklet possibilities which the software presents, especially for doing double...

display in taskbar in excel 2000
Hello, Have a problem! I work with Office 2000 and excel does not open more than onw screen in the taskbar. Windows in Taskbar, I checked in Excel. Clustered display is turned off in the properties of the Taskbar. Can anyone help me with this problem prog, get it only if I 2x open excel. Regards Rob Hi Rob, I can't figure out what exactly what is happening in your excel but try this, Go to TOOLS (Menu Bar) then OPTIONS, in VIEW tab just CHECK the Windows in Taskbar. Hope this will help. ~jaeson ...