Mail Merge with Word 2003 - editing fields in Mail Merge Document

Please Help if you can.  I have lost hours editing a Mail Merge Master
document, only to find none of the changes are saved when you reopen.  Here's
what happened:  I want to edit the fields in a mail merge document.  I want
to search for the {OLD-FIELD} and replace it with the {NEW FIELD}.  Word does
not seem to allow me to do this.  First, it will not let me cut and paste the
fields into the Search & Replace Box.  Secondlly, after hours of laboriously
replacing my Fields one at a time, and dutifully saving,  NONE of the changes
were saved.  The changes are all shown in the document while I'm editing it.
Then I save & close the edited document.  When I re-open it it reverts to the
original.  None of the changes have been saved!  I have tested this a number
of times.  It is not my error or my imagination.  For some reason the Mail
Merge document does not save changes to the Fields.  FYI, The document is NOT
protected either.  Any thoughts?  Thank you.

Without knowing which version of Word you're using, it's almost impossible
to help you.

I suspect that your original is a template.  If it is, depending on how you
open it, Word will make a COPY of the template.  If you then make changes to
the copy and save it, you will not overwrite the original, your changes will
be saved to a different file.

Carefully observe the file name of the file you are working on, including
its path and extension.  Is that the same as the path, file-name, and
extension you are re-opening?

Cheers

On 2/04/10 9:41 AM, in article
6C807CB7-9504-4ABD-9A24-25F2A0A9330E@microsoft.com, "Gnibtay"
<Gnibtay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Please Help if you can.  I have lost hours editing a Mail Merge Master
> document, only to find none of the changes are saved when you reopen.  Here's
> what happened:  I want to edit the fields in a mail merge document.  I want
> to search for the {OLD-FIELD} and replace it with the {NEW FIELD}.  Word does
> not seem to allow me to do this.  First, it will not let me cut and paste the
> fields into the Search & Replace Box.  Secondlly, after hours of laboriously
> replacing my Fields one at a time, and dutifully saving,  NONE of the changes
> were saved.  The changes are all shown in the document while I'm editing it.
> Then I save & close the edited document.  When I re-open it it reverts to the
> original.  None of the changes have been saved!  I have tested this a number
> of times.  It is not my error or my imagination.  For some reason the Mail
> Merge document does not save changes to the Fields.  FYI, The document is NOT
> protected either.  Any thoughts?  Thank you.

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John

Merging Two Office Data Files
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C3C6E7.505DB790 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Here is the situation: I've a desktop and a laptop. Before I bought the laptop I was using MS = Outlook on my desktop. Now that I'm using my laptop mostly, I would like = to have my old emails from my desktop Outlook merged with the laptop = Outlook emails. I don't want to replace the laptop outlook files with = the desktop outlook files is the folder - C:\Documents and = Settings\Laptop\Lo...

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

Document Template question
It's legal for a document to have multiple views into it's data, but when CMultiDocTemplate is created, it is only passed one runtime view class. How are multiple views handled in the document template context? Should all views of your document be derived from the class passed to CMultiDocTemplate? This is confusing me because MDI AppWizard did the work of setting up a document view class for me, but now I'm just using a child window with an imbedded static splitter window to show two different views of my document, and these views have nothing to do with CMyProjectView that...

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

How to create an autonumber field?

Document Viewer installer error

get a result of an sql into a field

How to get to email from Word

Load image in a unbound control from a attachment field in recor
I have a unbound (single not continuious) form with 16 differant records from the same recordset. No problem loading the this data from recordset in VBA. PROBLEM I need to know how to load the unbound controls with Image's from an attachment field in another recordset The normal method of control = Rs!field does not work Please advise -- Thanks Tom dans l'article 78DC5502-3A76-4562-AA20-736446AB1448@microsoft.com, Tom � Tom@discussions.microsoft.com a �crit le 21/01/08 20:28�: > I have a unbound (single not continuious) form with 16 differant records from > the same record...

OE autodelete OLD mail

Are Exchange 2003 OWA Backups necessary

SBS 2003 RWW & Windows 7 64 bit