Is there Keyboard shortcut to print single page (Current Page)?

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

Thanks.
0
DCP59

As you've probably discovered Option+E doesn't perform in its place, nor is
there any other combination I know of -- most likely due to differences
between the OS X & Windows operating systems & their respective print
services mechanisms.

The Alt+E combination actually is a Windows keystroke, not a Word
keystroke... Note the underscored letter 'e' in the word 'Current' the next
time you're in a Windows Print dialog for Word. It's the same underlying
functionality as using Alt+F to open the File menu or Alt+T to open the
Tools menu in a Windows program. That type of menu access isn't supported by
OS X. Neither is there any direct access to the "Current Page" setting from
within Word because it is not a Word command.

The entire process probably can be automated by Apple Script, but that's out
of my realm :-} And although you can Tab to the setting once you strike
Command+P it takes 8 presses of the Tab key to get there. The most efficient
method otherwise seems to be Command+P, click "Current Page", press return.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 2/10/10 10:47 PM, in article 59bb2a25.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"DCP59@officeformac.com" <DCP59@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Is there a Keyboard shortcut to print single page (Current Page)?
>
> In Windows, this would be "control P" and then "ALT E" which also works in
> Powerpoint for Windows.
>
> Is there a way to do this in Word?  Is see the button in the dialog box, but
> I'd like to be able to do it from the keyboard without moving to the mouse.
>
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks.

0
CyberTaz
2/11/2010 1:58:36 PM
> As you've probably discovered Option+E doesn't perform in its place, nor is <br>
> there any other combination I know of -- most likely due to differences <br>
> between the OS X &amp; Windows operating systems &amp; their respective print <br>
> services mechanisms. <br>
> The Alt+E combination actually is a Windows keystroke, not a Word <br>
> keystroke... Note the underscored letter 'e' in the word 'Current' the next <br>
> time you're in a Windows Print dialog for Word. It's the same underlying <br>
> functionality as using Alt+F to open the File menu or Alt+T to open the <br>
> Tools menu in a Windows program. That type of menu access isn't supported by <br>
> OS X. Neither is there any direct access to the &quot;Current Page&quot; setting from <br>
> within Word because it is not a Word command. <br>
> The entire process probably can be automated by Apple Script, but that's out <br>
> of my realm :-} And although you can Tab to the setting once you strike <br>
> Command+P it takes 8 presses of the Tab key to get there. The most efficient <br>
> method otherwise seems to be Command+P, click &quot;Current Page&quot;, press return. <br>
> Regards |:>) <br>
> Bob Jones  <br>
> [MVP] Office:Mac <br>
Bob, <br>
0
DCP59
2/11/2010 2:32:06 PM
Hello Again;

On 2/11/10 9:32 AM, in article 59bb2a25.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"DCP59@officeformac.com" <DCP59@officeformac.com> wrote:

>> As you've probably discovered Option+E doesn't perform in its place, nor is
>> there any other combination I know of -- most likely due to differences
>> between the OS X & Windows operating systems & their respective print
>> services mechanisms.
>>
>> The Alt+E combination actually is a Windows keystroke, not a Word
>> keystroke... Note the underscored letter 'e' in the word 'Current' the next
>> time you're in a Windows Print dialog for Word. It's the same underlying
>> functionality as using Alt+F to open the File menu or Alt+T to open the
>> Tools menu in a Windows program. That type of menu access isn't supported by
>> OS X. Neither is there any direct access to the "Current Page" setting from
>> within Word because it is not a Word command.
>>
>> The entire process probably can be automated by Apple Script, but that's out
>> of my realm :-} And although you can Tab to the setting once you strike
>> Command+P it takes 8 presses of the Tab key to get there. The most efficient
>> method otherwise seems to be Command+P, click "Current Page", press return.
>>
>> Regards |:>)
>> Bob Jones
>> [MVP] Office:Mac
>>

> Bob,
> Thanks for the thoughful reply, and thanks for all the work you do here;
> looking around it's clear you offer a lot of time and effort to the forum,
> which is much appreciated.

I'm snowbound in the Mid-Atlantic region of the U.S. -- what can I say? :-)

> Regarding keyboard shortcuts in OSX to print a single page: it looks to me as
> if this _is_ possible.  Open a PDF file in Preview for example, and you can
> print a single page with Option/Command/P which shows clearly as an option in
> Preview if you click File in the Menu bar.  I point this out not to pick nits,
> but in the hope that someone at Apple or MS will see and think about
> incorporating this highly useful feature more widely into either/or the OS or
> Office.

I didn't say it wasn't _possible_ , just that it's not implemented in the
same manner as in Windows :-) Keep in mind that this option is newly added
in the latest version of Preview (5.x) in a version of OS X 2 generations
removed from that for which Office 2008 was written. And it's been added as
a menu command in the program, not as a function of the Print dialog. If you
command there... In fact, the keystroke is used for a different purpose
altogether -- it produces the Preview app's Preferences window.

There's also a distinct difference between the structure of a PDF file
[where each page is an 'object'] and a Word document [where physical pages
do not exist at all]. In a Word file, pagination is imposed by the printer
driver & may change at print time from what is being displayed on the screen
if the document hasn't been repaginated before printing.

Perhaps the next release of Office will be able to offer it it, but for now
it just doesn't exist.

> BTW, I agree "ALT/E" is widespread in Windows, but it is not universal, so I
> think it could be an Office command rather than an OS command?  For example,
> in a PDF file in Windows, to print a single page, it's "Control P" followed by
> "ALT U" rather than the "ALT E" common in Office.  Again, not trying to pick
> nits, just to document the facts in the (perhaps futile) hope that things
> could be improved.

No "nit-picking", but those aren't the facts :-)

Again, take a look in the Print dialog of Adobe Reader or whatever PDF app
you're printing from. You'll see that the designated underscored character
is the letter 'u' in "Current" rather than the letter 'e'. The same 'u' is
used if you print from WordPad or even from MS Publisher. [If you notice,
the entire Print window is different dependent on what program you're
printing from, but *all* print services are supplied by the OS.] It's the
ALT+'underscored character' that's a Windows methodology. How it's
implemented (which character is specified) may vary from one program to
another, but the OS is what provides the capability.

> Take care.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

0
CyberTaz
2/11/2010 3:40:10 PM
DCP59@officeformac.com wrote:
> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor:
> Intel Is there a Keyboard shortcut to print single page (Current Page)?
>
> In Windows, this would be "control P" and then "ALT E" which also works
> in Powerpoint for Windows.
>
> Is there a way to do this in Word? Is see the button in the dialog box,
> but I'd like to be able to do it from the keyboard without moving to the
> mouse.
>
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks.

Hi,

You can get pretty close to what you are asking for by using an
Automator Action. Automator Actions are not available in Home and
Student version of Office, so if that's what you have, this suggestion
is out of the question.

The general procedure would be to create an Automator action using the
Print Word Documents action. The save the action on a script menu, and
create a keyboard shortcut to activate it using Mac OSX.

The Print Word Documents action doesn't print the active page. Instead,
you can tell it to display the Page Range input fields where you can
choose From page X to Page Y. You would enter page 3 to 3 if you wanted
to print page 3 only.

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP
DCP59@officeformac.com wrote:
> Thanks Jim. I will try that. I have Office for Business so I assume I
> will find the application you suggest.

There's a fairly extensive Automator example in Office 2008 for Mac
All-in-One For Dummies on pages 559-564.

For help with creating keyboard shortcuts in Mac OSX, in Finder's Help
menu choose Mac Help and search on the word shortcuts.

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP
Co-author of Office 2008 for Mac All-in-One For Dummies
http://tinyurl.com/Office-2008-for-Dummies
0
Jim

Bar Code Printing
Greetings: I am looking for advice regarding bar code label printing with Access. My non-profit organization receives donated items that are sold in our store. I want to track this inventory by attaching a bar code label to the merchandise when it is received so the donor will receive proper credit when the item is sold. Ideally, the barcode will contain the donor's information as it is entered into the database. Then, it would be nice if scanning the barcode on the item would bring up the donor's record from the database (sort of a two-way operation). Can anyone give me a few tip...

Creating an A6 booklet with 16 pages
Can anyone help me here please. I am attempting to print a 16 page A6 booklet with text/pictures on both sides on the paper in portrait mode. I am using Pub.2007 and an HP8000 printer with a duplex unit attached. I would like if possible to use stock A4 paper but if necessary I can cut it in 2 and make A5. None of the templates I have tried seems to work for me and I can't seem to find one else where. Please where can I go to find information on how to get it to print correctly or how to construct my own template. Regards Terry I use Publisher 2000 but I would think 2007 would...

html page in excel-Open new window
Hi everyone I'm trying to build an html page in excel and it's quite easy. I have several links to reports on that page but is it possibel to "say somewhere" that when i open those links it must be in a new window? Tks in advance Hi Pedro, Hold the Shift key down while clicking on the link. Don't know of any other way from Excel itself. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "Pedro" <pcc...

Printing Problems #4
Dear all i group some spreadsheets but when i press the print function on the spooling it breaks the pages by 1, 12, 2, 3 so its group have differrent printing preferences.. It is excel XP Can anyone help me with that? Regards Manos ...

I cant view my publisher page choice fromt and back
I am using Publisher 2000. I have used it for four years, quite successfully. I opened one of my two page (front & back) reports to reprint it, and i cant find the page choice blocks (not in my view) that are normally down on the lower left part of the main page. I am unable to edit the second page, but when I print, it prints both front and back. I checked my other reports, and the page choice is not visable in any of the reports. Help view...toolbars...status bar -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com &q...

page numbers on top
I am making a document in publisher. Many of my pages have full 8.5x11 images on them. When I turn on page numbers, my pictures come up ON TOP OF THE PAGE NUMBERS. I tried right clicking the pictures and selecting order>send to back, but that did not work. Is there any way to make the page numbers ON TOP OF THE PICTURES without manually adding page numbers on the pages with pictures? cheers "bobzz" <bobzz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E81E07E6-5CD5-47D4-A420-0514D0EB1627@microsoft.com... >I am making a document in publisher. Many of my pag...

2003 Publishing my print smears on back of business card. Any idea
Using a ink jet HP printer, when I place text on back of busness card it smears. Does anyone know to correct or prevent this? Thanks. HCGordon On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 09:26:04 -0800, "HCGordon" <HCGordon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Using a ink jet HP printer, when I place text on back of busness card it >smears. Does anyone know to correct or prevent this? Thanks. HCGordon More info, please. What kind of paper are you using? Are you using any graphics on the cards? Blessed be, for sure... Jim-I'm using Avery Business Card 8879-Extra Sturdy, photo quality ...

How to take master page control value in .aspx page
Dear friends, Please tell me how to take master page control value in .aspx page. I have a master page name master1.master, which holds one drop down <asp:DropDownList ID="ddlName" runat="server"> <asp:ListItem>Vinod</asp:ListItem> <asp:ListItem>Manoj</asp:ListItem> <asp:ListItem>Alok</asp:ListItem> <asp:ListItem>Amit</asp:ListItem> <asp:ListItem>Osho</asp:ListItem> <asp:ListItem>Ganesh&l...

automate printing
We have an excell file that has different sheets that need to be emaile to different departements within our organization. We are trying t automate the system so that it will print the sheets that go to eac department automatically. Example: 1 sheet to dept a the next sheet will go to dept b we tried using print to file but it does not give us a usable file tha can be emailed. Can someone help us with this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Look at Ron de Bruin's web site for different approaches to emailing workbooks, worksheets and so on. http://www.rondebruin.nl/ R...

Create Table Record on Current of Form
I have a table called LastVisitedRecord. There is but one field in that table called "lvCompanyID". I'd like to use the OnCurrent event of my record form to insert the record id (CompanyID) into a new record in the LastVisitedRecord table. After that, I'd like to use a query I've created qLastVisitedRecord which only shows the top 1 record of the LastVisitedRecord table to query my contact form by default, showing all records, but skipping to the record whose CompanyID field matches the sole record in the query qLastVisitedRecord. Anybody got an idea on how to do this? ...

Keeping MSN.com as my Home Page
I, often run a program called..."Advanced System Optimizer" wherein I, amongst other diagnostic devices, I delete my cookies....which causes My Homepage to become 'blank.' Does anyone know the name of the cookie that I do not have to delete in order to maintain my homepage as MSN.com? Thank you, FLKulchar Look in Cookies right after cleaning and resetting the Home page to MSN. FLKULCHAR wrote: > I, often run a program called..."Advanced System Optimizer" wherein I, > amongst other diagnostic devices, I delete my cookies....which causes...

Chinese anyone? Corrupted single record.
I have a split db. BE is on SBS2000 server, clients are mixed 98/XP all running Access 2k SP1. DB was recently upgraded from 97 including the Tables on BE. After the tables were upgraded we started seeing a problem. When 2 users update the same record they do get the usual write conflict. If the second user selects to save record and overwrite changes all the fields in the record seem to change to ASCII characters and some fields change to Chinese lettering (luckily this only affects the one record not the entire table.). Thats right, I said Chinese. Current program settings are: Tab...

How do I get rid of graphics edge marks that print?
MSOffice2003, Publisher, I'm printing words and graphics. The edges of the graphics frame that is supposed to not print is printing. I have changed the order and re-pasting. I have checked to see that "Printer's Crop Marks" is not checked. Nothing seems to work. The faint line still appears. Are they your graphics or MS's? Can you tell me which one specifically? Let me see if I can reproduce it. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "kimberly" <kimberly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADD4108D-CCF8-421B-A35A-9C9BE82F70E...

Excel logo insert printing problem
I rec'd an excel worksheet with a logo inserted and the color part of this insert will not print, only the black worksheet text will print? SM, Is "Black & white" checked in File - Page setup - Sheet? -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "SM" <SM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29D14754-3053-4C6C-A7AB-898D7A5AA0F6@microsoft.com... >I rec'd an excel worksheet with a logo inserted and the color part of this > insert will not print, only the black worksheet text ...

Merging text strings into a single cell
HELP!!!! I have created 2 separate columns of text data in a large spread sheet (over 600 rows of data). Now I need to merge the 2 columns together so that the text descriptions from each column are combined together into a single column. If the cells were numeric it would not be a problem (i.e. if C3 were the finished result I was looking for cell C3 would read "=A3+B3. Only problem is Excel simply tells me the formula is invalid because it's text data. Merging the cells of each row simply cuts the text off from the 2nd cell. How can this problem be resolved????? Hi you'...

Retrieving current worksheet backgroud picture
It is possible to set it using the Worksheet.SetBackgroundPicture method, but is it possible to find out what the current backgroud picture of a worksheet is? ...

Remove Page Number
Is it possible to remove a page number (which was inserted using the Insert Page Number command) from a Pub. 2003 document after the document has been saved? Thanks. You can go to the Master page (Ctrl+m) and manually delete the page number text boxes. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Larry Wilks" <larry.w.wilks(***)@pdq.net> wrote in message news:uu$u4OVjGHA.4344@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to remove a page number (which was inserted using the Insert > Page Number command) fr...

Document won't open on first page
When I open my saved document it opens on the second page and not the first/title page. This may have to do with the fact that the first pg. does not have its pg. # visible or that it's header differs from the rest of the document. How can I change this so that it opens to the first page? Thank you! A Word document always opens at the top of the file unless there is an AutoOpen macro forcing it to a different location. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Jerz" <Jerz@discussions.microsoft....

All my 1099's aren't printing
I have printed my 1099's and now have vendors calling me that they never recieved one. The hard copy does not show that one was printed for these vendors, but the system does show me that one should have printed. Any ideas??? ...

macro shortcut help
Hello I have a Macro set up in spreadsheets I have made for multiple people. I have set it up so they can paste the info needed in a worksheet and then use the shortcut ctr(a) to run the macro below to delete all rows with lab in it. Sub Find_LAB() Dim rng As Range Dim what As String what = "LAB" Do Set rng = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Find(what) If rng Is Nothing Then Exit Do Else Rows(rng.Row).Delete End If Loop End Sub This worked well for a while but now I find that the shortcut is n...

how do I move pages in Publisher with out having to copy/paste?
I would like to move pages in with in publisher. I try and drag page two to page 7 and it will not let me. I can copy page two, insert a page before page 7 and paste it, but I can't move any pages. Please send any responses to Robert_Hunt@balboainsurance.com. Thank you.... RHunt wrote: > I would like to move pages in with in publisher. I try and drag page > two to page 7 and it will not let me. I can copy page two, insert a > page before page 7 and paste it, but I can't move any pages. Group, copy and paste is the only way. > Please send any responses to Robert_Hunt...

Report that print quotes closed or quote status
How can I print a report that display the quotes status? I mean all quotes open (no invoices done) or quotes closed (quotes converted invoice) You can edit the quote summary report and add Begin Column FieldName = "[Order].Closed" DrillDownFieldName = "" DrillDownReportName = "" Title = "Closed" VBDataType = vbBoolean Formula = "" ColHidden = False ColNotDisplayable = False FilterDisabled = False ColWidth = 1005 GroupMethod = groupmethodNone ColFormat = "" ColAlignment = flexAlignCenterCente...

Unable to print shades of gray
Hello everyone.... I'm trying to print out calendars that have certain days grayed in, (the cell for that day is filled with a shade of gray). My printer is working and will print black and white... with gray but won't in publisher or word. I have Office Professional 2003 with the latest upgrades. My OS is MS XP Pro... with SP2. Any help is appreciated, thanks Kristinmerri This will be a printer issue, do you have the latest driver for your printer? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Kristinmerri" <kr...

Email printed mystery
I am totally confused how this happened, if anyone can clue me in i would really appreciate it. AD 2k3 mixed Exchange 2k3 I have a user, we will call him Mike, who was working at home via Outlook Web Access. At one point Mike's cat jumps up on the keyboard and lays down and a sensative company email from "Sally" to "Kate" and "Mindy" prints on his printer at home. Mike says he never had this email in his mailbox and never had it as an attachment either, nor on his desktop. Mike has never seen this email that just printed. I ran message tracking to...

How to print priority mail label in excel
I will like tosetup and print address on the pre printed "Priority Mail" blank lable supplied by the post office. Use Excel as the datasource, setting up the mailmerge in Word -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England www.nickhodge.co.uk nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "TROJAN" <TROJAN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5BF8F98A-1119-4506-92A3-12A1FF9FA431@microsoft.com... >I will like tosetup and print address on the pre printed "Priority Mail" > blank lable supplied by the post office. ...