How to set specific regions and maintain running word count?

I'm writing a paper for a journal that wants to keep the total word count in
some of the sections (but not others) below a certain number. Can I ask Word
to keep (and display - in a header perhaps or a separate window or in the
bar at the bottom of the document window) a word count of the total for the
specific sections that I mark off?

Mike

0
Michael

In case you're not aware of it there are 2 ways if you merely need to 'check
on' the count periodically.

One options is in Word> Preferences> View, tick the checkbox for Live Word
Count. This feature displays the number of words in the Status Bar. By
default it is the total for the document but you can select any portion of
the text to have it provide the count for the selected range.

The second option is preferable because Live Word Count has a tendency to
slow the program somewhat. The Word Count command in the Tools menu can be
called at any time. It produces a dialog box containing a count of
characters, sentences, pages, & more as well as words. Again, if a passage
is selected it counts for the selected passage, otherwise it counts for the
entire document.

Although there is a NUMWORDS field that can be inserted in the document
Header/Footer, it counts the entire document & does not update
automatically. There is no similar field for a per section count, nor do I
know of any switch for that purpose that can be added to NumWords.

Long story short, if there is a way to do what you want it would have to be
provided programmatically. Either VBA or Apple Script should be able to do
something acceptable, but I'm afraid that's out of my realm. Perhaps one of
the others here can offer more on that approach as it may vary depending on
what version of Word you're using... You didn't even specify Mac or PC :-)

Have you considered creating each 'section' as a separate document (based on
the same template) then combining them into a single document once they're
completed (Insert> File)?

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 2/9/10 2:38 PM, in article C79723DF.35AB2%michael.levin@tufts.edu,
"Michael Levin" <michael.levin@tufts.edu> wrote:

> I'm writing a paper for a journal that wants to keep the total word count in
> some of the sections (but not others) below a certain number. Can I ask Word
> to keep (and display - in a header perhaps or a separate window or in the
> bar at the bottom of the document window) a word count of the total for the
> specific sections that I mark off?
>
> Mike

0
CyberTaz
2/10/2010 11:31:43 AM
Thanks! I'm on a Mac running Word 2008. The separate files thing won't work
for me because I'm using Endnote (it'll make separate bibliographies). If
anyone knows of a way to use VBA to let me select specific regions (once,
not keep selecting them!) and word-count them, please share.

Thanks!

Mike

On 2/10/10 6:31 AM, in article C798034F.5B20C%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net,
"CyberTaz" <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:
> One options is in Word> Preferences> View, tick the checkbox for Live Word
> Count. This feature displays the number of words in the Status Bar. By
> default it is the total for the document but you can select any portion of
> the text to have it provide the count for the selected range.
> The second option is preferable because Live Word Count has a tendency to
> slow the program somewhat. The Word Count command in the Tools menu can be
> called at any time. It produces a dialog box containing a count of
> characters, sentences, pages, & more as well as words. Again, if a passage
> is selected it counts for the selected passage, otherwise it counts for the
> entire document.
> Although there is a NUMWORDS field that can be inserted in the document
> Header/Footer, it counts the entire document & does not update
> automatically. There is no similar field for a per section count, nor do I
> know of any switch for that purpose that can be added to NumWords.
> Long story short, if there is a way to do what you want it would have to be
> provided programmatically. Either VBA or Apple Script should be able to do
> something acceptable, but I'm afraid that's out of my realm. Perhaps one of
> the others here can offer more on that approach as it may vary depending on
> what version of Word you're using... You didn't even specify Mac or PC :-)
> Have you considered creating each 'section' as a separate document (based on
> the same template) then combining them into a single document once they're
> completed (Insert> File)?

> On 2/9/10 2:38 PM, in article C79723DF.35AB2%michael.levin@tufts.edu,
> "Michael Levin" <michael.levin@tufts.edu> wrote:
>
>> I'm writing a paper for a journal that wants to keep the total word count in
>> some of the sections (but not others) below a certain number. Can I ask Word
>> to keep (and display - in a header perhaps or a separate window or in the
>> bar at the bottom of the document window) a word count of the total for the
>> specific sections that I mark off?
>>
>> Mike

0
Michael
2/10/2010 11:50:22 AM
Hi Mike,

Word 2008 does not have VBA support (it is supposed to return in the
next version). In Word 2008, you can only use AppleScript, and I do not
know enough about AppleScript to tell you if it can achieve what you want.

--
Michel Bintener
Microsoft MVP (Macintosh)

*** Please always reply to the newsgroup. ***
0
Michel

Subject Field of email equal to 2 fields in word form
I want to concatenate 2 fields from my word form as my email subject. I know this is wrong but could someone help me out with the correct syntax? Thanks, .Subject = ActiveDocument.FormFields("JobNumber", "Dropdown1").Result ..Subject = ActiveDocument.FormFields("Text1").Result & _ " " & ActiveDocument.FormFields("Text2").Result Worsty wrote: > I want to concatenate 2 fields from my word form as my email subject. > > I know this is wrong but could someone help me out with the correct > sy...

Set break point problem in PB 6 + VS2005
Hi all. I'm using Windows XP SP3 + updates, .Net Framework 3.5. VS2005 + Platform builder 6 R3. I create OS image for HP thin client with Kitl and kernel debugger. Create native application(C++) as independent project and build debug version (with .pdb file generation) Specify pbd search path in the visual studio. Lunch application on the thin client. Now I can see in "modules and threads" my application and correct pbd path (symbols are loaded correctly), but i can't set break point's (I see empty circle with warning icon). But debugger can handle DebugBreak()...

Creating a quote, from a Word template?
We have the need to come up with a new price quote report for the CRM, as the one created for us via SSRS just isn't good enough. I'd like to be able to use a template from MS Word to somehow generate the formatting for the report. Is this possible? Or is the better option to hunker down and try to come up with the visual equivalent of what I want in SSRS using Visual Studio? -- Sketchy Hello sketchy, Have you ever heard from our product WordMailMerge for MS CRM 3.0? It gives you the possibility to generate quotes with predefined MS Word templates. IF you are interested plea...

Counting question
Hello, Column 1 contains a product ID and could contain just one entry or several entries depending upon how many reels of that product ID we have in inventory. Column 2 has the reel quantity in feet. I need to get a total quantity in feet for each product ID. Column 1 Column 2 Prod ID Feet ABC 100 ABC 150 ABC 200 XYZ 50 XYZ 50 I need the total product, in this example ABC = 450 ft and XYZ = 100 ft. I have over 3000 lines and over 600 products I can't do it manually. I think a pivot table would do it but I'm not sure... tks, st...

Exchange Features tab in Exchange 2003 set to disabled by default
I am wanting , when creating a new AD mail enabled user , to have all features under 'Exchange Features' tab to be disabled by default rather than being enabled e.g. POP3,OWA I've seen the question being asked before - but not got a definate solution - please some one out there must know the answer Have tried creating a user, disabling the features that you want and then copying that user when you create a new account? Nue "milburn9" <kev@rotherham.gov.uk> wrote in message news:1140515787.327366.98670@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I am wanting , when cre...

Pie of pie charts
I'm just trying this kind of pie chart for the first time. Example: I have 408 people in my company 401K. Of these, 38 joined in 2006, the other 370 joined in 2005. Of these 38 - 29 get company match, 9 don't. Is this the kind of info I can show in a pie of pie? Rich - The 38 are combined in the main plot but shown as individual wedges in the secondary plot. Arrange the data like this: 2005 371 match 29 no match 9 Select the range and make the pie-of-pie chart. It initially only puts the no match data into the separate pie; double click on any of the wedges, an...

How do I set up Outlook on a home network to view emails from lapt
I have recently bought and installed Office 2007, and one of the main things that I wish to be able to do with it is to have it installed throughout my Home Network (One Main PC, two external 1Tb Hardrives on the network, and access through a laptop too). My main wish for it is to be able to have the main PC with Outlook 2007 open, at all times, to collect any emails that may come in for me, yet still be able to access those emails, read them, but not have them directly downloaded to my laptop (and not have them mix in with the other emails already appearing on the main PC). Is ...

Convert amount in cell to words
hi pls help me with the formula to convert amount in cell to words like it shows sometimes on commercial invoices thanks raj -- Raj Shah ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Raj Shah's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27505 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=534075 http://www.meadinkent.co.uk/xlnumberstext.htm This Web Site has the function you request once you have copied and pasted the code into a module, the formula will be =WordNum(A1) if your value is in A1 -- daves...

Recently installed Microsoft Office 2008 and now I cannot open Excel, Powerpoint or Word
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I recently installed Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac earlier this month through a Lease program my work offers. Upon installation I was able to use Excel, Powerpoint and Word. I tried to open up some of the excel files I was using and I would get an error message. I tried opening up the other applications such as powerpoint and word and those to were affected. I am able to open entourage as well as the messenger and project gallery. I tried installing the service pack updates and restarting my computer and that did not hel...

FRx Row Format "Wording" Question
A user has requested I "mirror" an excel report in FRx. I can do everything except the last report line. The user wants it to say "Total as of MM/DD/YY" where the date changes depending on the period the report was ran. What kind of wording to other use? I like "Total at end of Period" - but I'm sure there are others. Any assistance appreciated. In the Headers/Footers from the Page Options tab in the Catalog, you can enter the text "Total as of" and then insert the code @NUMDTE. However, if he wants it in the row format, I'm afraid y...

Permanently deleting messages of certain age without Outlook running
Exchange/Outlook 2000 Is there any means to specify a rule or configuration setting so that emails sent to a specific mailbox will be permanently deleted after 3 days for example? No outlook session will be running for the mailbox so this will have to be a server side process as client-rules and auto-archiving are useless in this scenario. The mailbox is only occasionally monitored so we only require the last few days worth of emails to be maintained for audit reasons, but we do require that the inbox and deleted items box are emptied automatically so that no maintenance is necessary. Thanks...

Problem Opening Word document 12-13-09
I have spent many hours over two days on a Word document. Now when I try to open it, I get an error message telling me that Word cannot open it. It claims it cannot open it “because of problems with the contents”. Under details, it tells me it is an “unspecified error” and gives me a line and column number. I have tried searching under help but get nothing useful. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 14:39:02 -0800, Derek <Derek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have spent many hours over two days on a Word document. Now when I try to &...

Changing Language of Mac MS Word Version 12.1.3
The product was installed with Dutch menus and help files. How can this be changed to english? On 3/25/09 1:34 AM, in article 190C45F8-6AFE-4817-9BD0-3A139648F95D@microsoft.com, "ClarityMan" <ClarityMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > The product was installed with Dutch menus and help files. How can this be > changed to english? Unfortunately, it can't. You must purchase and install the English version. -- Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom ...

System Settings Error.Window does not open.
Hello, fresh install of CRM 3.0.The user logged in has all privileges assigned.Everytime I select system settings I receive "error"contact system administrator.All other options are fine. Any ideas what may be causing this? Thanks in Advance. You may want to try whether your reporting area work well. If not, you may have configuration issues. Please check on KB http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;909588 to see if you have configuration issues. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Tex" wrote: ...

opening word docs via hyperlink
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel When I attempt to create a link from a word document to another saved word document, intermittently I get a &quot;cannot open document&quot; error. It does not seem to matter whether the document is saved as a doc or docx file. When I open the document by itself (not via hyperlink), it opens. Any ideas why this is happening? It might be possible to offer a more definite reply if you'd included the entire & exact error message, but my first guess is that there are spaces or illegal charac...

How do you open a Word document in Publisher 2003?
I am trying to import a Word document into Publisher 2003 and everytime I do so, the publication shows a blank page. Any ideas? Do a copy/paste special. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "skeet" <skeet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3AA26E2D-BB59-4117-B8E0-C41127CD0B38@microsoft.com... >I am trying to import a Word document into Publisher 2003 and everytime I do > so, the publication shows a blank page. Any ideas? ...

save original data after macro is run again
Hi Experts I have developed a macro which imports data from another excel file. Ex: consider I have 2 excel files A & B. I run macro in file A today, it copies whatever data from file B. say 20 rows have been filled in file A(starting from A5 to A25). I do some changes on the file A which has few conditional formatting and forlumas. I re-run the macro after 8 days in file A to get the new updated data from file B. The problem I am facing is >>> "If I re-run the macro, it deletes the data from file A. It pastes everything starting from top left cell. When I generated m...

Set Default Image as Background
I would like to create a notebook for coaching basketball and it would be awesome if I could set the background (just like the rule lines) to be a sketch of a basketball court so I could then draw plays on the overlay. Is there any easy way to accomplish this short of inserting an image into each page? Ideally, I would want a section that each new page created automatically has the background ready to draw plays. Any thoughts? Thanks! -------- Original-Nachricht -------- > I would like to create a notebook for coaching basketball and it would be > awesome if I...

Exporting POP settings
Hi, is there a way to export POP account settings from Outlook 2003? So many email accounts (such as gmail) now have all sorts of security parameters and no longer use the usual port numbers, etc. I know I can just write them down, but it would be great if there was something automatic (so I don't miss anything). I don't understand why you can import email settings, but not export them. Thanks for any suggestions. Forget it. I found the Save My Settings Wizard (after reading about it online) "Hsuan-min Chou" <hmchou@smooth.earthlink.net> wrote in message new...

Count formula?
I have some cells that i need to do a count on. I can do the count formla but i can not do a specific count. I have some cells and I only want it to do a count on the cells that has a number above 200. Can someone help? hi, use the countif formula. you can look it up in help. =countif("range",>200) Regards Frank >-----Original Message----- >I have some cells that i need to do a count on. >I can do the count formla but i can not do a specific count. > >I have some cells and I only want it to do a count on the cells that has a >number above 200. > >...

Loosing e-mails w/o setting rules
I keep loosing e-mails from someone that I haven't set rules for. Can anyone help? I've tried searches and importing/exporting from archived items. GReg Pekins <GReg Pekins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I keep loosing e-mails from someone that I haven't set rules for. > Can anyone help? I've tried searches and importing/exporting from > archived items. Define what you mean by "losing". Do they get moved to the Deleted Items folder? Do you see them arrive and then disappear? Describe the symptoms in more detail, please. -- Brian Tillma...

set code as short cut keys
Pls i want to get some detail in file - i have a pricing code example code - wo/st-kdi i want to give this to short cut key 1M code - wo/st-kde i want to give this to short cut 2 now this code will go on because the pricing will change - i want to save this code to excel file for example - if i press 1M - the code( wo/st-kdi ) will appear in colum automatic is there any way to write program in excel file like this way i will be very appreciate if you could guide me Regards sam -- sam1128033 -----------------------------------------------------------------...

How do I backup/restore specific SQL tables?
I would like to backup and restore specific GP tables in SQL. What is the best way to do this? Is the best way to use the Import and Export utility in SQL? I would like to backup specific POP tables and be able to restore the POP tables if something goes wrong while running some other scripts to fix an issue. So I was planning to backup (export) the specific POP table to a CSV flat file using DTS in SQL. Then if need be, restore (import) the POP data in the CSV flat file back into the original table. Would this work? When doing the backup (export) should I only backup the specific dam...

Outlook 2003; not running
WindowsXP\Outlook 2003 Last night when I opened Outlook 2003....Windows opened showing Processing failed and asking me to enter my ID and Password. This Window showed my email providers name (Comcast.Com)...and my user and Password (password in X's) were populated. I however re-entered my ID\password...same message appeared. I have NOT added\deleted or changed anything in my PC to include changes, etc, in Outlook. I have an Internet Connection, I can open a browser and go to Websites.....Comcast is not showing any email issues at their website..... Suggestions as to...