How to Insert Table of Contents

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Hello, <br><br>I am really struggling to insert an automatic Table of Contents... I have looked at the previous posts and tried to follow these step by step, but am not getting anywhere. <br><br>I am trying to change all the headings into Heading 1, but I click apply and it wont let me. Then when I insert table, it brings up all the other drawings and text from the whole document so that my TOC is 14 pages long!! <br><br>Please please help me - I have literally been trying to do this all day. <br><br>Thanks very much in advance,  <br>
Louisa
0
LoopyLou
3/21/2010 9:32:05 AM
mac.office.word 1676 articles. 1 followers. Follow

10 Replies
832 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 29

It isn't clear which "previous posts" you're referring to but that could be
what is confusing the issue for you. There are numerous postings which
pertain to TOCs but many involve variations or special instructions based on
the user's specific requirements.

The basic process is to use Word's built-in Heading Styles 1 through 9 to
format the chapter titles/headings/subheadings in your document. If you're
not familiar with the use of Styles it would be a good idea to view this
Tutorial first: Format your document by using styles

Once the styles have been applied to those components you can specify how
many Level (starting with Level 1 Headings, such as '1-3') you want to have
included in the TOC. Only those components formatted using those styles
(Heading 1, Heading 2 or Heading 3) will be included. See the topic: Add a
table of contents based on heading styles.

Both of those topics can be accessed from the Help menu in Word by selecting
Help> Word Help then typing the search term -- don't use the white search
field in the Help menu. Or you can go to the Mactopia "Help and How-To"
pages to access the information

<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/help.mspx?product=Word%202008&app=4>

This video contains useful info on creating a TOC as well & is also included
on the web site: Add a cover page, header, and other document elements in
Word 2008.

If you still have any particular questions or problems please don't hesitate
to post them. Just keep in mind that the responders here need specific &
descriptive details in order to offer as assistance.

HTH |:>) 
Bob Jones 
[MVP] Office:Mac




On 3/21/10 5:32 AM, in article 59bb5a55.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"LoopyLou@officeformac.com" <LoopyLou@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Hello,
> 
> I am really struggling to insert an automatic Table of Contents... I have
> looked at the previous posts and tried to follow these step by step, but am
> not getting anywhere.
> 
> I am trying to change all the headings into Heading 1, but I click apply and
> it wont let me. Then when I insert table, it brings up all the other drawings
> and text from the whole document so that my TOC is 14 pages long!!
> 
> Please please help me - I have literally been trying to do this all day.
> 
> Thanks very much in advance,
> Louisa

0
CyberTaz
3/21/2010 2:31:30 PM
In article <C7CBA602.5C8A0%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net>,
CyberTaz  <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:
>
>The basic process is to use Word's built-in Heading Styles 1 through 9 to
>format the chapter titles/headings/subheadings in your document. If you're
>not familiar with the use of Styles it would be a good idea to view this
>Tutorial first: Format your document by using styles
>
>Once the styles have been applied to those components you can specify how
>many Level (starting with Level 1 Headings, such as '1-3') you want to have
>included in the TOC. Only those components formatted using those styles
>(Heading 1, Heading 2 or Heading 3) will be included. See the topic: Add a
>table of contents based on heading styles.

Although defining one's headlines using styles Headings 1-9 is the 
traditional way to set up things for a ToC, Louisa should actually
be able to create a ToC from whatever style the headlines are currently
in, right? I just encountered this the other day when I realized that
my main headings in a certain document (whose styles weren't defined by
me) weren't getting captured in the ToC. I went into the Options section 
of the ToC dialog box and defined Main Title as the Level 1 ToC entry
and Heading 1 as the Level 2 ToC entry. Worked perfectly. 

Since Louisa is having trouble applying Headline 1 to her headlines 
(and I don't know why that would be), perhaps she should just go with
the flow and use the existing style for her ToC. Of course, if the
existing style of the headlines is the same as the style for the body
copy, then she's got a problem. :-) She'll need apply a different style
to the headlines one way or another, whether it's called Heading 1 or
something else.


Patty

0
Patty
3/21/2010 5:54:09 PM
Hi Patty/Louisa:

Patty, what you say is quite correct, but unless you know what you are
doing, you are likely to get into "more trouble" by using something other
than the built-in "Heading" styles.

Louisa:  Your description is very characteristic of damage caused by
unresolved Tracked Changes.  If you enable Track Changes in a document, it
duplicates lumps of text to show adds and deletions.

The Table of Contents Generator adds a series of bookmarks around each
"heading".  If Track Changes has unresolved changes in there, often you get
the indication you are suffering, where "half the book" ends up in the TOC.

Sorting this out is straight-forward once you understand what has happened,
but it can be very laborious!

1)  Make a copy of that document (we're going to do some major surgery here,
so we need a back-up we can go back to...)

2)  Accept ALL changes in the document, then save, close, and re-open it.

Now try.  I am particularly interested in " I am trying to change all the
headings into Heading 1, but I click apply and it wont let me.".  I want to
know what does it do 'instead'?

You should be in Page Layout View, with your Paragraph Marks turned on so
you can see what you are doing.  Click the "Show/Hide" button on the
Standard toolbar to make the paragraph marks visible.

All formatting for a paragraph is contained in the paragraph mark at the end
of that paragraph: if you cannot see the para marks, you go spinning out of
control.

Similarly, if you hide tracked changes in the document, you cannot see what
you are doing.

3)  Now, open the Toolbox, open the Styles segment, and scroll so you can
see Heading 1.

4)  Click in a heading so the cursor is just an insertion point.  Do not
select any text.  The rules all change if you select text.

5)  Click "Heading 1" in the Formatting Palette (the Toolbox).

The result should be that the paragraph you clicked in should instantly
change to the formatting of Heading 1 style.  If it doesn't, tell us what
happens instead.

Due to a bug in Word, if you have any text selected when you click the
Heading 1 style, Word applies a CHARACTER style named Heading 1 instead of
the paragraph style you need for the TOC generator.  After that, very
strange things can happen.

Patty is quite correct, you can use any style you like in a Table of
Contents, but that means the number of possible variations to the process
becomes very large, and it makes it very difficult to configure the Table of
Contents to allow for all the variations.  You can do it, but it's the
advanced course :-)

I suspect your document will come right when  you accept all changes. If it
doesn't, stick with us, we'll help you bring that critter back under
control.

Hope this helps

On 22/03/10 4:54 AM, in article 4ba65d41$0$1637$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net,
"Patty Winter" <patty1@wintertime.com> wrote:

> 
> In article <C7CBA602.5C8A0%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net>,
> CyberTaz  <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:
>> 
>> The basic process is to use Word's built-in Heading Styles 1 through 9 to
>> format the chapter titles/headings/subheadings in your document. If you're
>> not familiar with the use of Styles it would be a good idea to view this
>> Tutorial first: Format your document by using styles
>> 
>> Once the styles have been applied to those components you can specify how
>> many Level (starting with Level 1 Headings, such as '1-3') you want to have
>> included in the TOC. Only those components formatted using those styles
>> (Heading 1, Heading 2 or Heading 3) will be included. See the topic: Add a
>> table of contents based on heading styles.
> 
> Although defining one's headlines using styles Headings 1-9 is the
> traditional way to set up things for a ToC, Louisa should actually
> be able to create a ToC from whatever style the headlines are currently
> in, right? I just encountered this the other day when I realized that
> my main headings in a certain document (whose styles weren't defined by
> me) weren't getting captured in the ToC. I went into the Options section
> of the ToC dialog box and defined Main Title as the Level 1 ToC entry
> and Heading 1 as the Level 2 ToC entry. Worked perfectly.
> 
> Since Louisa is having trouble applying Headline 1 to her headlines
> (and I don't know why that would be), perhaps she should just go with
> the flow and use the existing style for her ToC. Of course, if the
> existing style of the headlines is the same as the style for the body
> copy, then she's got a problem. :-) She'll need apply a different style
> to the headlines one way or another, whether it's called Heading 1 or
> something else.
> 
> 
> Patty
> 

 --

The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name


0
John
3/21/2010 11:15:04 PM
In article <C7CCF3A8.7CBE%john@mcghie.name>,
John McGhie  <john@mcghie.name> wrote:
>
>Louisa:  Your description is very characteristic of damage caused by
>unresolved Tracked Changes.  

Interesting. I hope that does the trick for Louisa.

>Patty is quite correct, you can use any style you like in a Table of
>Contents, but that means the number of possible variations to the process
>becomes very large, and it makes it very difficult to configure the Table of
>Contents to allow for all the variations.  You can do it, but it's the
>advanced course :-)

:-) True. It will indeed be easier for Louisa if she can get her 
headlines to accept the Heading 1 designation instead of dealing
with defining something else as the Level 1 ToC entry. 

Louisa, please let us know what happens. Like John, I'm curious what 
happens when you try to apply a different style to your headlines.


Patty

0
Patty
3/22/2010 2:29:42 AM
Hi
0
LoopyLou
3/22/2010 10:06:02 AM
Hi All <br><br>Thanks very much for your replies!! <br>
John, I have followed your steps and have conquered it - thanks very much!! My TOC is now looking much better, apart from one thing... <br><br>I got to Inset>Index &amp; Tables> TOC> From Template> OK, but for some reason all the text is red. Could you please tell me how to change the colour? <br><br>And thanks again for your help - greatly appreciated! <br><br>Louisa
0
LoopyLou
3/22/2010 10:08:53 AM
Hi Luisa:

My first thought would be "Turn off tracked changes!!"

When you "Track changes" in a Word document, text that is inserted gets
coloured blue, text that gets deleted gets coloured red.  But no text, ever,
gets deleted!

So you should turn off Track Changes, and then Accept All Changes.  Look in
the Word Help for the topic "Collaborate effectively with Track Changes" for
a full description of this.

If it's not that, then you need to change the formatting of the TOC styles.
Click the first paragraph in the TOC, then
Format>Style>Modify>Format>Font... And turn off the red colour.

Hope this helps

On 22/03/10 9:08 PM, in article 59bb5a55.5@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"LoopyLou@officeformac.com" <LoopyLou@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Hi All 
> 
> Thanks very much for your replies!!
> John, I have followed your steps and have conquered it - thanks very much!! My
> TOC is now looking much better, apart from one thing...
> 
> I got to Inset>Index & Tables> TOC> From Template> OK, but for some reason all
> the text is red. Could you please tell me how to change the colour?
> 
> And thanks again for your help - greatly appreciated!
> 
> Louisa

 --

The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name


0
John
3/22/2010 10:30:24 PM
I have  followed this discussion with great interest as I struggle to format
my son’s Fine Art Masters thesis by Friday: he’s a dab hand with a video
camera but woeful with Word and deadlines! I thought I could bend Word to my
will but I have just changed from a PC to a Mac Powerbook Pro with OS X 10.6.
2 and Office 2008 and, Wow! - all the rules changed overnight. Some of the
directions given in this thread appear not relevant to 10.6.2, Louisa uses 10.
5.

I am having great trouble with the ToC. I’ve ensured that all Tracked Changes
have been accepted and Track Changes is Off.

I have used Headings 1 through 4 in the body of the text but I did modify
them all to our requirements. I applied the respective styles by first
putting the cursor in the line and not by selecting the heading as directed
earlier in this thread. 

I put my cursor where I wanted the ToC to be, clicked on the Document
Elements > Table Of Contents > Insert a Table of Contents > Create with -
then I have the option of either (i) Heading Styles or (ii) Manual Formatting
and then a choice of five different layouts: I chose (i) and the first layout
offered. Either one gives me a ToC of sorts that requires a lot of formatting.
For a start, these have only three levels so I need to increase the number of
levels to four.

However, search as I may, I cannot find how to do this. I can edit the
individual lines in the ToC for general reformatting. I tried Insert >
Document Elements > Table of Contents but all the final options were greyed
out; I thought it may offer a dialogue box. Snow Leopard is shy on dialogue
boxes.

I can do a limited amount of editing from the Tool Bar and Menus and I have
effected some changes by modifying the relevant TOC styles as they apply to
different levels in the ToC. I do not seem to be able to change TOC 3 from
grey to black. I removed Numbered List from the word “Contents” but cannot
restart numbering from 1 at Part 1. How do I further edit the individual
entries in the ToC? Should I apply the standard Heading 1 through Heading 4
styles in the body of the document and edit them after the ToC has been
created or was I on the money by modifying the styles before applying?

So close yet still, so many questions. Your valued help would be greatly
appreciated.

David Mackenzie
Canberra Australia



John McGhie wrote:
>Hi Luisa:
>
>My first thought would be "Turn off tracked changes!!"
>
>When you "Track changes" in a Word document, text that is inserted gets
>coloured blue, text that gets deleted gets coloured red.  But no text, ever,
>gets deleted!
>
>So you should turn off Track Changes, and then Accept All Changes.  Look in
>the Word Help for the topic "Collaborate effectively with Track Changes" for
>a full description of this.
>
>If it's not that, then you need to change the formatting of the TOC styles.
>Click the first paragraph in the TOC, then
>Format>Style>Modify>Format>Font... And turn off the red colour.
>
>Hope this helps
>
>On 22/03/10 9:08 PM, in article 59bb5a55.5@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
>
>> Hi All 
>> 
>[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
>> 
>> Louisa
>
> --
>
>The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!
>
>John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
>McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
>Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name

-- 
Message posted via MacKB.com
http://www.mackb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/word/201003/1

0
DavidMackenzie
3/23/2010 12:33:04 PM
Hi David;

Sounds like you're moving in the right direction but the detour is occurring
because you're being distracted by the Document Elements. Not denigrating
the efforts of MacBU, but unless you're dealing with very fundamental
document construction they're best avoided :-)

Instead, go to Insert> Index & Tables, Table of Contents. It is set by
default to work based on the built-in Heading Styles you're using. It also
provides the option to specify as many of the Heading Levels as you wish.

See if that doesn't give you better results.

BTW, version of OS X makes no difference. The apps operate the same way on
any version of the OS which supports that version of the software. Any
issues are directly related to the individual documents based on what
has/has not been done within it (assuming that there is no issue involved
such as a corrupt template or preferences file).

HTH |:>) 
Bob Jones 
[MVP] Office:Mac



On 3/23/10 8:33 AM, in article a56ff2e746788@uwe, "DavidMackenzie via
MacKB.com" <u58867@uwe> wrote:

> I have  followed this discussion with great interest as I struggle to format
> my son�s Fine Art Masters thesis by Friday: he�s a dab hand with a video
> camera but woeful with Word and deadlines! I thought I could bend Word to my
> will but I have just changed from a PC to a Mac Powerbook Pro with OS X 10.6.
> 2 and Office 2008 and, Wow! - all the rules changed overnight. Some of the
> directions given in this thread appear not relevant to 10.6.2, Louisa uses 10.
> 5.
> 
> I am having great trouble with the ToC. I�ve ensured that all Tracked Changes
> have been accepted and Track Changes is Off.
> 
> I have used Headings 1 through 4 in the body of the text but I did modify
> them all to our requirements. I applied the respective styles by first
> putting the cursor in the line and not by selecting the heading as directed
> earlier in this thread.
> 
> I put my cursor where I wanted the ToC to be, clicked on the Document
> Elements > Table Of Contents > Insert a Table of Contents > Create with -
> then I have the option of either (i) Heading Styles or (ii) Manual Formatting
> and then a choice of five different layouts: I chose (i) and the first layout
> offered. Either one gives me a ToC of sorts that requires a lot of formatting.
> For a start, these have only three levels so I need to increase the number of
> levels to four.
> 
> However, search as I may, I cannot find how to do this. I can edit the
> individual lines in the ToC for general reformatting. I tried Insert >
> Document Elements > Table of Contents but all the final options were greyed
> out; I thought it may offer a dialogue box. Snow Leopard is shy on dialogue
> boxes.
> 
> I can do a limited amount of editing from the Tool Bar and Menus and I have
> effected some changes by modifying the relevant TOC styles as they apply to
> different levels in the ToC. I do not seem to be able to change TOC 3 from
> grey to black. I removed Numbered List from the word �Contents� but cannot
> restart numbering from 1 at Part 1. How do I further edit the individual
> entries in the ToC? Should I apply the standard Heading 1 through Heading 4
> styles in the body of the document and edit them after the ToC has been
> created or was I on the money by modifying the styles before applying?
> 
> So close yet still, so many questions. Your valued help would be greatly
> appreciated.
> 
> David Mackenzie
> Canberra Australia
> 
> 
> 
> John McGhie wrote:
>> Hi Luisa:
>> 
>> My first thought would be "Turn off tracked changes!!"
>> 
>> When you "Track changes" in a Word document, text that is inserted gets
>> coloured blue, text that gets deleted gets coloured red.  But no text, ever,
>> gets deleted!
>> 
>> So you should turn off Track Changes, and then Accept All Changes.  Look in
>> the Word Help for the topic "Collaborate effectively with Track Changes" for
>> a full description of this.
>> 
>> If it's not that, then you need to change the formatting of the TOC styles.
>> Click the first paragraph in the TOC, then
>> Format>Style>Modify>Format>Font... And turn off the red colour.
>> 
>> Hope this helps
>> 
>> On 22/03/10 9:08 PM, in article 59bb5a55.5@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
>> 
>>> Hi All 
>>> 
>> [quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
>>> 
>>> Louisa
>> 
>> --
>> 
>> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!
>> 
>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
>> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
>> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
CyberTaz
3/23/2010 2:54:42 PM
One more thing to add to Bob's excellent answer:

Choose the format "From Template" when you insert the TOC, otherwise Word
will overwrite the formatting for your TOC styles every time the TOC is
generated.

I agree with Bob: Almost all the of the stuff in the Elements Gallery causes
more problems than it solves, and should be avoided.

You would be better off looking at this Word Help topic "Customize and save
table of contents formatting".

This is one of the most stolen articles on the web:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/numbering/NumberingExplained/NumberingInAction/TOC
..htm

Along with this one:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm

And Shauna Kelly's overall:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

Really, Tables of Contents have not changed AT ALL through the various
versions of Word.  The only difference is that they have added more and more
brightly-coloured switches and buttons to attract the easily-distracted, and
in doing so, have made the original tools progressively harder to use.

Hope this helps


On 24/03/10 1:54 AM, in article C7CE4E72.59922%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net,
"CyberTaz" <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:

> Hi David;
> 
> Sounds like you're moving in the right direction but the detour is occurring
> because you're being distracted by the Document Elements. Not denigrating
> the efforts of MacBU, but unless you're dealing with very fundamental
> document construction they're best avoided :-)
> 
> Instead, go to Insert> Index & Tables, Table of Contents. It is set by
> default to work based on the built-in Heading Styles you're using. It also
> provides the option to specify as many of the Heading Levels as you wish.
> 
> See if that doesn't give you better results.
> 
> BTW, version of OS X makes no difference. The apps operate the same way on
> any version of the OS which supports that version of the software. Any
> issues are directly related to the individual documents based on what
> has/has not been done within it (assuming that there is no issue involved
> such as a corrupt template or preferences file).
> 
> HTH |:>) 
> Bob Jones 
> [MVP] Office:Mac
> 
> 
> 
> On 3/23/10 8:33 AM, in article a56ff2e746788@uwe, "DavidMackenzie via
> MacKB.com" <u58867@uwe> wrote:
> 
>> I have  followed this discussion with great interest as I struggle to format
>> my son�s Fine Art Masters thesis by Friday: he�s a dab hand with a video
>> camera but woeful with Word and deadlines! I thought I could bend Word to my
>> will but I have just changed from a PC to a Mac Powerbook Pro with OS X 10.6.
>> 2 and Office 2008 and, Wow! - all the rules changed overnight. Some of the
>> directions given in this thread appear not relevant to 10.6.2, Louisa uses
>> 10.
>> 5.
>> 
>> I am having great trouble with the ToC. I�ve ensured that all Tracked Changes
>> have been accepted and Track Changes is Off.
>> 
>> I have used Headings 1 through 4 in the body of the text but I did modify
>> them all to our requirements. I applied the respective styles by first
>> putting the cursor in the line and not by selecting the heading as directed
>> earlier in this thread.
>> 
>> I put my cursor where I wanted the ToC to be, clicked on the Document
>> Elements > Table Of Contents > Insert a Table of Contents > Create with -
>> then I have the option of either (i) Heading Styles or (ii) Manual Formatting
>> and then a choice of five different layouts: I chose (i) and the first layout
>> offered. Either one gives me a ToC of sorts that requires a lot of
>> formatting.
>> For a start, these have only three levels so I need to increase the number of
>> levels to four.
>> 
>> However, search as I may, I cannot find how to do this. I can edit the
>> individual lines in the ToC for general reformatting. I tried Insert >
>> Document Elements > Table of Contents but all the final options were greyed
>> out; I thought it may offer a dialogue box. Snow Leopard is shy on dialogue
>> boxes.
>> 
>> I can do a limited amount of editing from the Tool Bar and Menus and I have
>> effected some changes by modifying the relevant TOC styles as they apply to
>> different levels in the ToC. I do not seem to be able to change TOC 3 from
>> grey to black. I removed Numbered List from the word �Contents� but cannot
>> restart numbering from 1 at Part 1. How do I further edit the individual
>> entries in the ToC? Should I apply the standard Heading 1 through Heading 4
>> styles in the body of the document and edit them after the ToC has been
>> created or was I on the money by modifying the styles before applying?
>> 
>> So close yet still, so many questions. Your valued help would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>> 
>> David Mackenzie
>> Canberra Australia
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> John McGhie wrote:
>>> Hi Luisa:
>>> 
>>> My first thought would be "Turn off tracked changes!!"
>>> 
>>> When you "Track changes" in a Word document, text that is inserted gets
>>> coloured blue, text that gets deleted gets coloured red.  But no text, ever,
>>> gets deleted!
>>> 
>>> So you should turn off Track Changes, and then Accept All Changes.  Look in
>>> the Word Help for the topic "Collaborate effectively with Track Changes" for
>>> a full description of this.
>>> 
>>> If it's not that, then you need to change the formatting of the TOC styles.
>>> Click the first paragraph in the TOC, then
>>> Format>Style>Modify>Format>Font... And turn off the red colour.
>>> 
>>> Hope this helps
>>> 
>>> On 22/03/10 9:08 PM, in article 59bb5a55.5@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
>>> 
>>>> Hi All 
>>>> 
>>> [quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
>>>> 
>>>> Louisa
>>> 
>>> --
>>> 
>>> The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
>>> matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!
>>> 
>>> John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
>>> McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
>>> Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name
> 

 --

The email below is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum
matters unless I ask you to; or unless you intend to pay!

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Word, Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer,
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410 | mailto:john@mcghie.name


0
John
3/24/2010 4:51:56 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Losing e-mail content Exchange 2000 / Outlook 2000
I lost randomly some of my users e-mail content, they still have the subject/headers, but there's no more e-mail content and attachements are also "0kb" so useless after that. I don't known what's going on since it's happening randomly... they are mostly older e-mails... but some are almost new. It's running on a Windows 2000 server, sp4 and Exchange 2000 I think on SP3. ( I'll have to check to be sure. ) Anyone can helo me on this ? I really need to resolve this issue... In news:0E257817-F755-44BB-B460-F3599B06356E@microsoft.com, Maxime F. <Max...

Inserting a pdf file into a pub document
I cannot insert a pdf file into a Pub2000 document. All I get is an acrobat icon, but not the picture. Can anyone walk me through the steps? Thanks No you cannot do it and unlikely you ever will. If there are no security settings you should be able to copy and paste. -- I don't think you can directly insert a pdf file into a pub 2000 document. But is a way you could do it, sort of. This is a bit ugly but I think it will work. With the pdf file displayed, press the Prt Scrn key. This will put an image of the pdf file that is displayed into the Clipboard. Now, open Publisher,...

CEdit EN_CHANGE event is triggered twice on changing selected content?
Hi, I have the following problem: Normally, the EN_CHANGE event of a CEdit control is triggered once, if the caret is set within the control and a key is pressed. But if the caret is not only set but the content of the control is selected, the event is triggered twice! The thing is, I open a dialog window on the EN_CHANGE event. If the content of the edit control is not selected when changing it, the control gets updated immediately before the dialog is opened. But if the content is selected and is changed, the dialog gets opened BEFORE the change of the edit control gets visible. AFTER closi...

Could not delete from specified tables. (Error 3086)
I have a delete query that works as select query, but will errors when changed to a delete query. As part of the query I have the table I am deleting the records from as well as a query limits to records to be deleted. The main table contains invoice attributes with a multi-field primary key (invoice number & revenue category). The query may list multiple invoice numbers, but always unique. So the relationship is always many to one. I ran into a similar situation with update queries, but once I converted the limiting query into a Make Table Query and used the results of the new...

Listing the contents of a network directory
All, I need to list within a web page the contents of a network directory, this needs to be based on the user permissions of the user viewing the web page. For example, User A can see the following directories : dirA dirB dirC User B has only rights to the following directories : dirA dirB Directory 'dirC' will remain hidden from to User B. The displaying of files within a network directory is easy enough, it's the displaying of files based on user permissions that's the issue. Any comments/suggestions welcome! TIA Iain On Mar 11, 9:41=...

help needed in printing contents of a form view
hi all I am working with formview . I want to put all the content that i am displaying on the formview to the clipboard so that i can print it from there. I tried to put contents into clipboard but problem is that all the screen is now get printed. i only want the view area to be get printed. sorry for my english. can any one help me . with regards Harish Harish, I'm sure I have answered this one :-) To recapitulate: If you looked at the code on Joe Newcomber's site, notice that you select the window from which you create your bitmap, so: void toClipboard(CWnd * wnd, BOOL F...

Outlook 2003: Insert Signature Menu Item Missing
I have configured Outlook 2003 with 2 signatures, however, under the insert menu, there is no "signature" listed. Help tells me to go to "insert signature" but that menu item does not exist. I need this because I want to insert my signatures on a case by case basis rather than on all external mail for example. Please help! ...

Pivot Table ... Stacked Col & Area Graph
Excel2003 ... I have a Pivot Table "Stacked Col" Chart reflecting operators & the time they charged to a part ... Sometimes an operation is completed by 1 operator (sometimes multiple operators) ... So far this part of the Chart works fine ... Now I would like to add the "time" the operation "should take" ... & I am thinking I could do this as an "Area" Graph behind the Stacked Cols. (note: if my operations were completed by a single operator then I can put the Area Graph behind a Col Graph & all is fine. However, when I hav...

How to Show Folder Contents as "Tiles" in 4 Columns?
In windows explorer, when displaying the contents of a folder, I would like to display the contents as tiles in 4 columns. Anyone know how to do this? I don't want to use a "thumbnails" view or an "icons" view--I want to use a "tiles" view, and I would like to get 4 columns, but I can't find any way to change the existing 3 column display format. I have looked for various folder options or preferences in windows explorer, but I don't see anything that will help. Any ideas? Thanks. As a test, I just displayed Windows Explorer in s...

Linking tables with forms
Hi, I'm still a relative beginner with Access, but I've not done too bad :P However, I'm finding one thing very confusing. Here's the scenario: I am writing a multi table db, and I need to link them all up via an index, so one form can easily display data from the others. For example: I need to display a name, located from one table, and then in a seperate table, store values from yet other tables. For some reason, I am finding this a little bit of a pain to do - I can't seem to get the values loaded correctly. It's no problem if they are simply from a table, but t...

Content redirect
Hi: I'm trying to set up my mail account in Officezilla. I get an error message: Server Object Error asp 0177:800401f3' Server create object failed. mail/mailutils.com/contentredirect.asp. Would someone be kind enough to translate this into English? Thanks, John Furey -- John Furey, CVO Shalom Communications Inc. > I'm trying to set up my mail account in Officezilla. I get an error > message: > Server Object Error asp > 0177:800401f3' > Server create object failed. > mail/mailutils.com/contentredirect.asp. > Would someone be kind enough to translate ...

Why aren't dates always available to group in pivot tables?
I download data that gives me sales number by individual day. I build a pivot table to get total sales by day and then group the process day by month or quarter. Sometimes this works perfectly, while other times I get the message 'Cannot group that selection'. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a limit to the number of rows or columns that can be grouped? You'll see that error message if the date field contains a blank cell, or text entry. There's a bit more information, and some workarounds, here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot07.html#Problems JLM wr...

Save as CSV file leaves CELLS content between quotation marks
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Oke I have something really weird, <br><br>Normally when you &quot;save as&quot; and choose CSV or Txt, each cell is divided by a comma (period) but the contents of a Cell is not between quotation marks. (windows) <br><br>Now on mac: When I choose UFT-16, TXT windows format, CSV windows format or Mac format. All these options leave a file where my cell contents are between quotation marks. I do not want that!!! How can I get rid of them....? <br><br>gr <br><br...

Temp Tables in FUTA/SUTA Reports
Hello: Since the FUTA and SUTA reports are built on temp tables, is it possible to modify them in Report Writer? The client would like to add the employees' department to the FUTA and SUTA monthly and quarterly reports. But, I cannot build the necessary relationships in Report Writer--it won't let me. This is probably because the reports are built on temp tables. Would Crystal have to be used? Thanks! childofthe1980s Nevermind! I figured it out! Sorry for the bother! "childothe1980s" wrote: > Hello: > > Since the FUTA and SUTA reports are built on te...

Load Excel data in a SQL Server table
Hi all, what's the simple way to read an Excel file (always in the same format and name) in my WinForm and pass this data to a SQL Server stored procedure? Thanks in advance. Luigi "Luigi" <Luigi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D5FCDFDA-7BFD-4358-858F-15A391C19B7A@microsoft.com... > What's the simplest way to read an Excel file (always in the same format > and > name) in my WinForm and pass this data to a SQL Server stored procedure? http://www.google.co.uk/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Excel+OleDb ...

Find and Replace against set of rules in 2nd table/worksheet
Looking for a tool, or code that does the following. Edit [partial cell data] in Sheet1, if [partial cell data] meets criteria in Sheet2, COL1. Sheet2, COL2 has the REPLACE WITH information. Presently there are 59 criteria on Sheet 2, and I have to perform this against 19 sites. So doing this manual via Find and Replace takes forever. VBA code, or something similar would be great. (Wanted to write an Update Query Access, but Access sent me here.) Thanks in Advance TBL1 COL1 Mari Johnson Jim Evans Charles Stanley Jerry Straight TBL2 COL1 COL2 Mari Mary Straight Strait See,...

Best way to find the last value in a variable-length table?
I have a table containing a series of readings, something like this: A B # Volume 15 1 1,000 ml 16 2 915 ml 17 3 830 ml 18 4 745 ml 19 5 660 ml ... I need a way to find the last row of the table, which could have anywhere from 2 to 20 rows. hi, ! if column A has only numbers - a formula outside column A =match(9e307,a:a) - a formula outisde "the range" =match(9e307,a1:a20) hth, hector. __ OP __ > I have a table containing a series of readings, something like this: > A B > # Volume > 15 1 1,000 ml &...

Automatically update content of a paragraph from earlier paragraph
Hi there, Not sure if this is possible or not, but I have a word document that has paragraphs that are repeated throughout the document. The paragraphs say the exact same thing but as it stands now if I edit one paragraph I have to go and update the other paragraphs manually so the content remains the same. For example I have a list of recommendations on the fourth page of my document and also on the last page of my document. The list of recommendations is supposed to be identical, so if I make the change in one list I have to manually change the other list as well. Therefore ...

Linking many EXCEL tables into a long WORD document
Would anyone have direct experience with linking lots of Excel tables into complicated Word reports - say 100 tables into a 100 page document? I tried this years ago shortly after OLE came out, but the document's links got confused, with Excel occasionally getting confused about which worksheet tab and range belonged in which Word table. This was not a case of my error, nor of corrupted files due to crashes, but was confirmed as a problem with Excel by a person knowledgable of its codes and bugs back then. Needless to say, I stopped aiming at having these live links in my docum...

Viewing tables in an SQL database
I can connect to my SQL Server 2000 database using "Import External Data" from Excel 2002 SP2. However, in the "Data Connection Wizard - Choose Data" dialog no tables appear. The MS sample database "Northwind" shows its tables. What am I doing wrong? Many thanks. I'd look at permissions in the database. My instinct would be to assume that Excel is using a database user which doesn't have any permissions on your database. Use Enterprise Manager to grant permissions to your user. On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:07:23 -0500, Andrew Chalk <achalk@XXXmagnaca...

Add a table 03-04-08
What is the best way to add a new table to my existing database? I want to add several fields, and thought it would be easiest if I could just create a new table and somehow link the information together. I would like the info in the new table to coincide with the existing info on the other table via a Job#. I have tried everything I know (which obviously isn't much) and cannot seem to get these two tables linked. I want to create a query that includes fields from both tables, so I created a query for each table seperately, then tried to create a new query with fields from both ...

Printing Pivot Tables
I have a form with a pivot table on it. I want to be able to print the pivot table and I can't figure out how to do this. I tried putting a print button on the form but it prints out the underlying data for the pivot table, not the pivot table with the selected data. I tried to create a pivot table in a report and was unable to do this as well. Any Help would be greatly appreciated. Rob ...

Easy way to change Pivot table source files?
Is there an easy way in Excel 2007 to rename the location of pivot tables (something along the lines of what you can do within edit links). I have about a dozen files each containing about 10 pivot tables that reference a data file outside the workbook. When copying the whole folder structure so that I could use the same spreasheets with different data, the pivot reference still realtes to the old datafile. I thought the easiest way might be to open my workbook that has the pivot tables and at the same time the source datafile workbook and re-name the latter it to a differe...

Basic Table Relationships
This is a basic question. I haven't been working in Access for over two years so my memory is a bit shot... I have three tables: Breaktotaltbl Lunchtotaltbl Dintotaltbl Each has information regarding that specific meal which is then calculated into four total values for each record. I would like those four values (b1, b2, b3, b4; l1, l2, l3, l4; d1, d2, d3, d4) to all be placed into a daily chart that includes b1+l1+d1; b2+l2+d2... etc. I have tried to make relationships however the main table (MainFoodtbl) does not update when I update the three individual tables. What should ...

How to insert new row in excel using MFC
I have succesfully opened the .xls file & able to write in the cells. But I want to insert a new row in excel using MFC. Can any one guide me. Animesh, Are you using automation? what classes are you using? which version of Excel are you using? Your information is very short, to recognize the problem. Can you describe more in details. "Animesh" <Animesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E36D5BA-D527-42C2-B57B-A29E275C0B31@microsoft.com... > I have succesfully opened the .xls file & able to write in the cells. > But I want to insert a new row in ex...