How to insert non-breaking hyphen?

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I have searched unsuccessfully to find out how to insert a non-breaking hyphen into a Word doc.  Used to be really simple ... but now ???? <br><br>Help!  Thanks.
0
JoanM

Hi Joan;

I don't know what "really simple" method you remember, but it hasn't changed
in Word 2008 from what it was in 2004 & prior. Either go to Insert> Symbol>
Special Characters or use the keyboard shortcut of Shift+Command+ -

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 4/7/10 12:25 PM, in article 59bb6a33.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"JoanM@officeformac.com" <JoanM@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I
> have searched unsuccessfully to find out how to insert a non-breaking hyphen
> into a Word doc.  Used to be really simple ... but now ????
>
> Help!  Thanks.

0
CyberTaz
4/7/2010 5:24:34 PM
Thank you for responding!  It may not have changed, but unless you can remember the key commands, forget finding out 'how to' with Word Help.  I did stumble onto the 'command+shift+-' combination today by plugging in various key commands just before reading your reply. But really, who thinks of a hyphen as a 'symbol'.  I like things back when 'key commands' were really easy to find.  <br>
I need to vent here a bit about Word.  My biggest beef is that I searched for the 'non-breaking hyphen' in Word Help in all variables of the search term I could think of from simplest to compound, and Help did not come up with how to insert a 'non-breaking hyphen'.   <br>
That is just one of many, many times that Help has NOT been at all helpful when a simple word is plugged into Search.  If I didn't know from past experience that it is do-able I would have found nothing in Help to assist. <br>
For example:  a search for 'non-breaking hyphen' brought up: <br>
Hyphenate text automatically <br>
Hyphenate part of a document manually <br>
> I don't know what &quot;really simple&quot; method you remember, but it hasn't changed <br>
> in Word 2008 from what it was in 2004 &amp; prior. Either go to Insert> Symbol> <br>
> Special Characters or use the keyboard shortcut of Shift+Command+ - <br>
> Regards |:>) <br>
> Bob Jones  <br>
> [MVP] Office:Mac <br>
> On 4/7/10 12:25 PM, in article 59bb6a33.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, <br>
> &quot;JoanM@officeformac.com&quot;  wrote: <br>
> > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I <br>
> > have searched unsuccessfully to find out how to insert a non-breaking hyphen <br>
> > into a Word doc.  Used to be really simple ... but now ???? <br>
> > Help!  Thanks. <br>

0
JoanM
4/7/2010 8:09:04 PM
In article <59bb6a33.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0>,
 <JoanM@officeformac.com> wrote:
>I need to vent here a bit about Word.  My biggest beef is that I searched for the 'non-breaking hyphen' in Word Help in all variables of the search term I could think of from simplest to compound, and Help did not come up with how to insert a 'non-breaking hyphen'.   <br>

Note to self: Stick with Word 2004, where a search for the phrase
"non-breaking hyphen" in Word Help returns:

* Insert an optional hyphen or a nonbreaking hyphen
* About hyphenating text

Patty

0
Patty
4/7/2010 9:04:36 PM
Hi Patty:

Stick with Word 2004, Patty :-)

The Help in Word 2008 is back to the pre-Word X days: it's truly useless.
But the worst part of it is that the person who is responsible for the mess
doesn't think there's a problem...

Cheers

On 8/04/10 7:04 AM, in article 4bbcf364$0$1658$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net,
"Patty Winter" <patty1@wintertime.com> wrote:

> In article <59bb6a33.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0>,
>  <JoanM@officeformac.com> wrote:
>> I need to vent here a bit about Word.  My biggest beef is that I searched for
>> the 'non-breaking hyphen' in Word Help in all variables of the search term I
>> could think of from simplest to compound, and Help did not come up with how
>> to insert a 'non-breaking hyphen'.   <br>
>

> Note to self: Stick with Word 2004, where a search for the phrase
> "non-breaking hyphen" in Word Help returns:
>
> * Insert an optional hyphen or a nonbreaking hyphen
> * About hyphenating text
>

> Patty

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John
4/7/2010 11:56:08 PM
  - type hyphen
_  shift hyphen (underscore)
=E2=80=94 option shift plus Hyphen (em Dash)
  =E2=80=93 option hyphen =E2=80=93 (en Dash)
-  shift command -

CyberTaz wrote:
> Hi Joan;
>
> I don't know what "really simple" method you remember, but it hasn't ch=
anged
> in Word 2008 from what it was in 2004&  prior. Either go to Insert>  Sy=
mbol>
> Special Characters or use the keyboard shortcut of Shift+Command+ -
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 4/7/10 12:25 PM, in article 59bb6a33.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
> "JoanM@officeformac.com"<JoanM@officeformac.com>  wrote:
>
>> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Int=
el I
>> have searched unsuccessfully to find out how to insert a non-breaking =
hyphen
>> into a Word doc.  Used to be really simple ... but now ????
>>
>> Help!  Thanks.

--=20
mailto:pjones1@kimbanet.com

0
Phillip
4/8/2010 12:45:04 AM
In article <C7E358B8.867A%john@mcghie.name>,
John McGhie  <john@mcghie.name> wrote:

>Stick with Word 2004, Patty :-)

:-) Will do, John!

>The Help in Word 2008 is back to the pre-Word X days: it's truly useless.
>But the worst part of it is that the person who is responsible for the mess
>doesn't think there's a problem...

Ouch! It sounds like you know that from painful personal experience... :-(
Maybe you could get a helmet so it doesn't hurt as much when you beat
your head against the wall. :-)

Patty

0
Patty
4/8/2010 1:18:38 AM
Your assessment of Office 2008 Help is far too benevolent :-) The fact is
that it is virtually worthless. It's particularly poor on this issue because
the overall feature of Symbols & Special Characters was given virtually no
attention in the development of Office 2008. My understanding is that the
decision was made to not devote resources to it because of the capability
provided by the OS X Character Viewer � which I heartily recommend.

If it isn't yet activated on your Mac go to System Preferences & add it to
the Menu Bar. I believe it's in the preferences group called either Language
or International in Leopard (it's now known as "Language & Text" Preferences
in Snow Leopard. Look it up in Mac Help... I believe you'll find it far more
useful & it's available in any Mac app you're running, not just Office apps.

It wouldn't hurt to drop a line to MacBU by way of Help> Send Feedback to
let them know exactly what your experience has been. As John replied here,
we can plead the case until we're unconscious, but it's response from the
'general public' that's more likely to be heard.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 4/7/10 4:09 PM, in article 59bb6a33.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"JoanM@officeformac.com" <JoanM@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Thank you for responding!  It may not have changed, but unless you can
> remember the key commands, forget finding out 'how to' with Word Help.  I did
> stumble onto the 'command+shift+-' combination today by plugging in various
> key commands just before reading your reply. But really, who thinks of a
> hyphen as a 'symbol'.  I like things back when 'key commands' were really easy
> to find.
> I need to vent here a bit about Word.  My biggest beef is that I searched for
> the 'non-breaking hyphen' in Word Help in all variables of the search term I
> could think of from simplest to compound, and Help did not come up with how to
> insert a 'non-breaking hyphen'.
> That is just one of many, many times that Help has NOT been at all helpful
> when a simple word is plugged into Search.  If I didn't know from past
> experience that it is do-able I would have found nothing in Help to assist.
> For example:  a search for 'non-breaking hyphen' brought up:
> Hyphenate text automatically
> Hyphenate part of a document manually
> Hyphenate an entire document manually
>
> NONE of which described the simple key commands for non-breaking hyphen.
>
> Thanks again for responding.
>

>> Hi Joan;
>>
>> I don't know what "really simple" method you remember, but it hasn't changed
>> in Word 2008 from what it was in 2004 & prior. Either go to Insert> Symbol>
>> Special Characters or use the keyboard shortcut of Shift+Command+ -
>>
>> Regards |:>)
>> Bob Jones
>> [MVP] Office:Mac
>>

>> On 4/7/10 12:25 PM, in article 59bb6a33.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
>> "JoanM@officeformac.com"  wrote:
>>
>>> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I
>>> have searched unsuccessfully to find out how to insert a non-breaking hyphen
>>> into a Word doc.  Used to be really simple ... but now ????
>>>
>>> Help!  Thanks.

0
CyberTaz
4/8/2010 2:08:49 AM
Hi Patty:

You are correct, there is "beating" and "Heads" involved.

But the head I had in mind is not the one on my shoulders :-)

I have been in and around computing for 30 years (like Bob, although he
claims to be younger...).  Long enough to know that like anything else, the
software industry is enslaved to "fashion", and this year's fashion is
"metrication".

What isn't measured doesn't matter...  You know this nonsense...  Invented
by the Harvard Business School, I believe, and very popular right up until
the global financial crisis neutered America.  The business community is now
slowly unpicking itself from the damage this has caused.  The software
industry will take a little longer...

The problem we have is that Microsoft is using metrics to determine which
help topics are "popular" and which are not.  The "popular" topics are
getting the effort and money, the "unpopular" ones are getting deleted.

We tried to explain to them that the fundamental flaw in this methodology is
that "You can't count what isn't there!"  There's nothing in the metrics to
reveal the topics that are needed but don't exist, let alone the topics that
are not used because they're rubbish.

Which is why I keep exhorting people in here to use the "Send Feedback"
buttons on the bottom of each Help topic to send your message directly in to
the person responsible for making the decisions on where to spend the money
on the help system.

If you can't find it at all, or you find it but it's useless, or it's simply
not there...  Click the "This was useless!!" button and tell them why.

Otherwise, it will never get any better...

Cheers

On 8/04/10 11:18 AM, in article 4bbd2eee$0$1673$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net,
"Patty Winter" <patty1@wintertime.com> wrote:

> In article <C7E358B8.867A%john@mcghie.name>,
> John McGhie  <john@mcghie.name> wrote:
>>
>> Stick with Word 2004, Patty :-)
>
> :-) Will do, John!
>
>> The Help in Word 2008 is back to the pre-Word X days: it's truly useless.
>> But the worst part of it is that the person who is responsible for the mess
>> doesn't think there's a problem...
>
> Ouch! It sounds like you know that from painful personal experience... :-(
> Maybe you could get a helmet so it doesn't hurt as much when you beat
> your head against the wall. :-)
>

> Patty

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John

How to merge changes on a non-shared workbook
Hi, I sent out the same file to a large number of users, each had specific lines on the file that needed to be updated so no changes would be duplicates. I did NOT send the file as a shared workbook so now I have a large number of files that do not automatically update the original. Is there anyway I can update my master file with all of the changes automatically? -- Thank You, Steve Hi Steve, It's likely that you _can_ do that, but it might be difficult and labor intensive.. Without more information on how the original workbook and the returned files are structured, it's t...

Insert blank row to seperate weeks(autofilter on)
I have a sheet that I need to put a blank grey row between every week. I have multiple entries on multilpe days and sometimes no entries in a week. I created a macro to insert blank rows between days, but now only want between weeks(don't know how). The problem is that autofilter is on. When I inserted blank rows between days in autofilter, f there was three days between entries, three blank rows would show. Is there a way to do this, or am I going about this the wrong way? Joe You could use conditional formatting to highlight the rows in which a different week starts. For example: ...

NAV Keeps finding a virus in non-existant files!
We run Norton Antivirus CE (V7.5) on our servers along with the Exchange aware plug-in. I monitor the Symantec System Console and it keeps showing our Exchange server as having a virus. When I check the log, I see that it keeps saying that it found a virus in about 100 files. They all are in the C:\EXCHSRVR\imcdata\in directory. However, when I look there, I don't see it. They are all of the form 1N6JG6Q7. I've searched the entire drive and they are no where to be found. Any ideas on how to investigate this further?? -- Regards, Hank Arnold You need to exclude the Exchange folde...

Adding Data to a Non-Contiguous Range in Excel 2007
I have a chart based upon a non-contiguous range. When I click on the chart and "Select Data", and then click on the Edit button, I get the expected dialog box with Selected Values. However, I can't manually edit the values displayed, even after pressing F2. I click on the icon to take me to the spreadsheet, and it displays the non-contiguous values in dashed boxes. I hold down Ctrl and click the next box, and it de-selects everything. Then I try to add them all again, and it won't let me add the last range. Is there a limit in 2007 for how many non-contiguous va...

Exchange breaks connetion with Domain Controller
For the last 3 weeks my exchange server keeps dropping the connection with my domain controllers. The following are some of the errors in the event log. Process MAD.EXE (PID=880). All Domain Controller Servers in use are not responding: dc-02.sapc.edu dc-01.sapc.edu ---------------------------------------------------------------- This computer was not able to set up a secure session with a domain controller in domain SAPC due to the following: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request. This may lead to authentication problems. Make sure that this c...

Working with non-default folders in VBA
I am trying to use VBA to write out a file, containing names and telephone numbers contained in a non-default folder. It is a Contacts folder, in my "Personal Folder" collection, called Hennepin, which exists as a subfolder of the default Contacts folder. The routine attempts to write out all names and business telephone numbers to a file called HennepinFile.txt. If and when I can get this simple operation to work, I hope to do some more complicated things with it. Unfortunately, It does not yet work. I am an end user, not a programmer, and do not yet understand this very well. ...

HLookup fails when inserting row?
I am using HLookup to draw data from a range in another workbook, bu when I insert rows, the row index number doesn't change therefore th formula references to the newly inserted row and not the data in th row below. Is there a way of fixing the row index number so that whe you insert / delete rows within the source range the formula reference to the original row -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com insert before the last row or define a name for a self adjusting table. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "girthhart >" <<girthhart.165hft@ex...

Inserted Row has no formulas in it
When you insert a row to a sheet with formulas (that proceed down a column, e.g. a 'running total' for example), the formula doesn't appear in the inserted row? I know you can copy/paste the formula manually, but since the formula applies to each row, why doesn't the program put it there automatically? I am using 2000, build 9.0.6926 SP-3 Thanks, Lee Bowman Here's a workaround: copy one of the rows that has the formulas. Go to the row above which you want the insert, and select the entire row. Press Ctrl and the + key on the keypad. This inserts a complete copy of ...

Insert Object i a Task
Hi, when I'm inserting an object in a tasks, for instance an Excel Worksheet, I am not able to edit the sheet after I save the task .. or even aften clicking outside the object. any ideas why... and how to resolve problem? br GravBalle ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

All Power America APG3005 8,000 Watt 13 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator with Electric Start (Non-CARB Compliant)
Price:$999.99 Image: http://discountadvisor.info/image.php?id=B00185XI9G Best deal: http://discountadvisor.info/index.php?id=B00185XI9G Delivers 8000 watts surge, 6500 watts continuous with a powerful 13 HP OHV C Engine and Electric start & recoil start system. What more could you want?Features8000 W 13HP Electric Start Generator with Mobility CartDelivers 8000 watts surge, 6500 watts continuous 13HP OHV C Engine Electric start & recoil start system Two 120v 20A outlets, one 120v 30A twist lock outlet, one 120v/240v 30A twist lock outlet, one 12v DC , outlet 8.3A, & protecti...

In Publisher, why is the hyphenation feature "grayed-out."
After I select tools, language and hyphenation are grayed-out, thus unavailable for my use. Anyone know why? KSF <KSF@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > After I select tools, language and hyphenation are grayed-out, thus > unavailable for my use. Anyone know why? Do you have some text selected? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher Do you have the cursor in a text box? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "KSF" <KSF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

Inserting Chart
I copied some code and tried to customize it for a chart that I want in a report. The chart should have the months on top (column headings) and bars that will span the Created date to the Due date. There should be a bar for each record. The code is: Option Compare Database Option Explicit Private Sub Detail_Format(Cancel As Integer, FormatCount As Integer) Dim lngDuration As Long 'days of tour Dim lngStart As Long 'start date of tour Dim lngLMarg As Long Dim dblFactor As Double 'put a line control in your page header that starts 1/1 and g...

[Excel 2011] Insert lines in table with formuals and formatting preserved
Hello, simple problem: I have a sheet, where I have a table with formulas and conditional formatting for each coloumn. Now I have to insert additional lines inside this table. How can I do this, so that the new cells inherit the formuals and the conditional formaating from the upper or lower line? If I do a normal "insert cells" the range for the conditional formatting is adapted, but the formulas are not transfered:-( Thanks in advance. -- Ciao , Frank. What I usually do is select the cell above, grab the handle (bottom right corner) and drag it down. Alternativ...

Outlook 2000, Where's "Insert Item" when using Word as Editor?
I can't "Insert Item" when sending/replying HTML formated email when using Word as editor. The "Insert Item" button does not show up in the Insert menu. Is it a limitation or I have to make some setting? Click the dropdown next to the Paperclip on the Toolbar. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Jason Chan" <no@mail.com> wrote in message news:OSDQWl4IFHA.2884@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... >I can't "Insert Item" when sending/replying HTML formated email when using > Word as editor. > > The "Insert Item" button does not ...

Inserting NULL into CString
Hello all, I need to provide parameters to stored procedures, and I've been using a 'lstrcpy' to do this; but along comes a stored procedure that needs NULLS as part of the prameter string. How do I get NULLs into a string? //old stored procedure string CString str = "123456"; //new stored procedure string CString str = "123456,\0,\0,\0"; lstrcpy( (char *) pSqlStmt, "{CALL info_sp("+str+")}"); retcode = SQLExecDirect(hstmt, pSqlStmt, lstrlen((char *) pSqlStmt)); When I look at 'pSqlStmt' for the strin...

Names in contacts; "non english" language
PLEASE help me with this. Under Windows XP and Office 2003, for my email program I switched from OE to Outlook and imported my address(contacts) by dragging one by one between the Windows Address Book and the Outlook Contacts within individual folders. Everything was alright except the names in non-English character.... all the non-English names was not displayed in its language, rather in ????. My OS(English) and Office language settings are set to Korean as a default language and I didn't have any problem with any kind of Office(incl OE) to use both English and Korean. M...

Were non-gradient chart patterns left out of Excel 2007?
Most of my graphs have to be black and white and are best produced with simple left or right diagonal line fills, dots, or the like. In drawing bar charts in previous versions of Excel, one could always click (focus?) on a a bar or series of bars and then click on format data series->fill effects-> pattern and easily obtain such effects. Does anywhere here know whether the same is possible in Excel 2007 and, if so, how? I've search the menus and can't find that feature. Thanks in advance, Art On Aug 27, 5:39 pm, Arthur Tabachneck <art...@netscape.net> wrote: > Most ...

2007: Insert>Object>create from file
When I insert Excel file (chart) from Insert>Object>create from 'exisitng' file, often chart comes out as wide as the page width. When it happens, it seems to be impossible to fix the size and everything else. Why this happens? Is there any way to fix it? -- If I am lucky, charts come out as I sized in Excel. Thx Try using a Powerpoint Layout that DOEN'T have a text or content placeholder (eg Title only or blank) -- john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoint_hints_and_tips_tutorials.html ...

Insert hyperlink to a folder
I have a folder on my server titled "pictures". Inside that dolder are two more folders that each one has a lot of pictures. I inserted a hyperlink to go to the one folder labeled "pictured" so that when someone clicked on the link, they would see both folders. When I publish the page, it will not show the folders, but I get the usual "page could not be displayed". There is no extension on the folder, so I have a feeling that might be the problem. Any suggestions? In the future when you use the Microsoft Community please take note that there are topic ...

How do I insert PPT into a web site?
I am trying to insert a PPT into my web site (www.theinitiators.info) and I've tried following several different sets of directions in doing so. When I go to the web page and click on the PPT, it tells me the page cannot be found. I wonder if someone could take a look at my site and see if you can figure out what I'm doing wrong? I would really appreciate any help! Thank you! Susan www.theinitiators.info -- Thanks in advance for your help! Ensure the PPT presentation is at the location that you're linking to (../../Career%20Switchers/Small%20Group%20Project/...

Inserting and wrapping text around pictures
I need to insert a picture and wrap text around it BUT keep the picture LINE and the text fully wrapping. How do I achieve that? Also, I want to do a global format of new pages before downloading a document from MS Works into publisher. How do I do that? JCM <JCM@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I need to insert a picture and wrap text around it BUT keep the > picture LINE and the text fully wrapping. How do I achieve that? There is no way to accomplish this. In-line images mean that the images appear on a line in the same way they do when you se...

Page Breaks #10
I have one worksheet that includes info for 400 employees. Each row contains info for a different employee. I will need to print an individual sheet for each of these 400 employees. Is there a way to insert page breaks for each row other than doing so line by line? It's driving me nutz. > I have one worksheet that includes info for 400 employees. Each row > contains info for a different employee. I will need to print an > individual sheet for each of these 400 employees. ... You might want to consider the MS-Word "Mail Merge" feature. ...

break links problem
I have a simple macro that selects three tabs in the active workbook, and then makes a copy of them to a new workbook. The Macro also contains a line to break the link between the old workbook. However, since taking this spreadsheet over from a coworker, I manually have to go to edit>links and then break the link. Any ideas why the macro won't do it? ActiveWorkbook.BreakLink Name:= _ "\\Porfs01\snt\Taxable\Research & Inventory\Inventory\SNW INV PLAIN.xls", Type _ :=xlExcelLinks Thanks for the help! Since it works when you do it manually, I'd record ...

RWW on SBS 2008 on Non-IE client
I need to be able to run Remote Web Workplace on computers that do not have Internet Explorer. It appears that I cannot use Firefox for this task. Is there another option? Here's my dilemma: I routinely have to go onsite to customer locations and frequently have need to connect to my SBS 2008 server. However, I have run across situations where the customer is not running a Windows computer, and I have been unsuccessful connecting through RWW. Specifically, I have need to access my server via RWW from Ubunto Linux and Mac computers. What alternatives, (if any), do I have? ...

non-local users cannot be given rights on this server
Getting this error when trying to add user back as delegate. Both users have been migrated to Outlook 2007. ...