Going between documents using macros

I'm using Word 2004. I have two documents open. Is there a way, using
macros, to go from Document 1 to Document 2, where I'll go to a
certain line and copy it, then go back to Document 1 and save it using
the text I have just copied.

I have the macro down for going to the line, copying, and saving. What
I need is the part where I go from doc to doc without regard to the
document name. So I'll be in "Active Document" first, then I need to
go to "?" (other Document) then back to "Previous Document."

So I just need the navigation part.

Here is the code for doing all this within the SAME document (finding
a 10-character line):

Sub copy_course()

' copy_course Macro
' Macro recorded 1/22/10 by Fogharty
'
    Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToLine, Which:=wdGoToFirst, Count:=1,
Name:=""
    Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
    With Selection.Find
        .Text = "??????????"
        .Replacement.Text = "^p"
        .Forward = True
        .Wrap = wdFindContinue
        .Format = False
        .MatchCase = False
        .MatchWholeWord = False
        .MatchWildcards = True
        .MatchSoundsLike = False
        .MatchAllWordForms = False
    End With
    Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
    With Selection.Find
        .Text = "??????????"
        .Replacement.Text = "^p"
        .Forward = True
        .Wrap = wdFindContinue
        .Format = False
        .MatchCase = False
        .MatchWholeWord = False
        .MatchWildcards = True
        .MatchSoundsLike = False
        .MatchAllWordForms = False
    End With
    Selection.Find.Execute
    Selection.Copy

        Dim myName As String
        Dim myPath As String
        Dim docName As String
        docName = InputBox("Please enter the file name for the
document.")
        myPath = ActiveDocument.Path
If myPath = "" Then
myPath = Options.DefaultFilePath(wdDocumentsPath)
End If

        myName = myPath & Application.PathSeparator & docName
        ActiveDocument.SaveAs myName

End Sub
0
Fogharty

There is no way to make this "bullet-proof" but you can get pretty close...

1)  Set the Document name from the active document as either source or
destination (decide which one you're going to start the macro from.)

2) Read the Count method of the Documents collection: if there are more than
2 then you need to prompt the user for the destination document.

To prompt, you need to do more work to make a list of all the documents that
are not the source document and ask the user which one.

3)  If there are only two documents open, the one that is not "This
Document" is the destination.

Once you have the document name, switching is very easy: you don't actually
need to switch at all: you can use a "With DestinationDocument" construct to
inject content directly.

Calling the "Next Window" command using SendKeys would be possible, but it's
always going to be a lottery, because you don't know where the focus is.

Hope this helps

On 26/01/10 4:05 AM, in article
da0fd1e9-d08a-4215-b08f-a670f2a07505@n4g2000yqf.googlegroups.com, "Fogharty"
<fogharty@lycos.com> wrote:

> I'm using Word 2004. I have two documents open. Is there a way, using
> macros, to go from Document 1 to Document 2, where I'll go to a
> certain line and copy it, then go back to Document 1 and save it using
> the text I have just copied.
>
> I have the macro down for going to the line, copying, and saving. What
> I need is the part where I go from doc to doc without regard to the
> document name. So I'll be in "Active Document" first, then I need to
> go to "?" (other Document) then back to "Previous Document."
>
> So I just need the navigation part.
>
> Here is the code for doing all this within the SAME document (finding
> a 10-character line):
>

> Sub copy_course()
>
> ' copy_course Macro
> ' Macro recorded 1/22/10 by Fogharty
> '
>     Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToLine, Which:=wdGoToFirst, Count:=1,
> Name:=""
>     Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
>     With Selection.Find
>         .Text = "??????????"
>         .Replacement.Text = "^p"
>         .Forward = True
>         .Wrap = wdFindContinue
>         .Format = False
>         .MatchCase = False
>         .MatchWholeWord = False
>         .MatchWildcards = True
>         .MatchSoundsLike = False
>         .MatchAllWordForms = False
>     End With
>     Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
>     With Selection.Find
>         .Text = "??????????"
>         .Replacement.Text = "^p"
>         .Forward = True
>         .Wrap = wdFindContinue
>         .Format = False
>         .MatchCase = False
>         .MatchWholeWord = False
>         .MatchWildcards = True
>         .MatchSoundsLike = False
>         .MatchAllWordForms = False
>     End With
>     Selection.Find.Execute
>     Selection.Copy
>
>         Dim myName As String
>         Dim myPath As String
>         Dim docName As String
>         docName = InputBox("Please enter the file name for the
> document.")
>         myPath = ActiveDocument.Path
> If myPath = "" Then
> myPath = Options.DefaultFilePath(wdDocumentsPath)
> End If
>
>         myName = myPath & Application.PathSeparator & docName
>         ActiveDocument.SaveAs myName
>
> End Sub

matters unless you intend to pay!

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John

chart MAcro to change on activecell

Using mouse wheel in VB editor

Use exchange from a trusted domain

How to unlock locked cells by MACRO?!

Macro to seperate data

How Use ShellExecute with a CMemFile

Creating a Macro to Delete Commas #2

Adding a Macro to a VLookup Function
In Excel 2000 -- I would like to create a summary spreadsheet (sheet2). For each time that "Name" appears in sheet 1, row *, take information from the same row, but columns 2 and 6 and bring it over to sheet 2 in the designated area. I know that you need to do a "VLookup" function and I got that to work. I know that you also need a "Loop" statement, so that it will continue to perform the Vlookup and bring over the information for each time that the name appears. I don't know how to write the formula so that the VLookup and the Loop are combined. Examp...

Macro

macros entering data

Using INDIRECT within functions

Need macro help to close excel

Macro
Hi, i need an macro to select all filled cells in range C10:K90. Can this be done? Thanks!!! Range("C10:K90").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, _ xlNumbers + xlTextValues).Select If you want to select xlErrors and xlLogical add those to xlNumbers + xlTextValues -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "puiuluipui" wrote: > Hi, i need an macro to select all filled cells in range C10:K90. > Can this be done? > Thanks!!! It's perfect! Thanks! "Jacob Skaria" a scris: > Range("C10:K90").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, _ >...

How to use count for calls per hour

formula auditing/macro
Can anyone give me the sytax to goto - special - precedents so I can create a macro so I can assign to a hotkey and dont have to go through 4 steps ? Thanks, Yosef With A1=1 and D2=2*A1, and D1 as active cell: I recorded a macro for these steps: Edit|GoTo->Special->Precedence And the macro contained just one line: Selection.DirectPrecedents.Select best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "ynissel" <ynissel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA544BDE-3717-4953-A5E3-06191BC28373@microsoft.com... > Can anyone...

Protect Macros
Hi How can I protect macros for a workbook without protecting the workbook/worksheet? Thanks Hi Open the VB editor. Undert Tools menu there's a "project properties" item and there you'll find a "Protection" window. HTH. Best wishes Harald "nc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:046201c52f92$6d31ad30$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi > > How can I protect macros for a workbook without > protecting the workbook/worksheet? > > Thanks Thanks Harald >-----Original Message----- >Hi > >Open the VB edi...

going live and outlook
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9886941/ If microsoft wants to go live, she should consider easy synchronization in outlook ! exciter <t24680@hotmail.com> wrote: > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9886941/ > > If microsoft wants to go live, she should consider easy > synchronization in outlook ! Sounds like a scheme to add additional license fees on top of what one already pays. -- Brian Tillman Its up to the company to charge additional costs. I believe that msn has some margin to sacrifice from its profit margin for the sake of future profits. People use computers, at ho...