document elements (et. al.) toolbar in Word 2008

I may be in the minority here, but I happen to love the Ribbon UI on
the PC version. It can collapse down to nothing when needed, and
expand out (and even be customized I hear in 2010). That's on the PC.
On the Mac I want a Mac-like UI. The Document Elements bar is so out
to planet Jupiter on both functionality and as an accelerator into
functions writers need most that it's laughable it made it into a
release. (I'd much rather have a Mac ribbon that the Document Elements
toolbar since at least the ribbon exposes USEFUL functions.) I mean,
really =97 how many UPS or Del Monte, or Sysco Food Systems ask for WORD
ART to always be persistent as a toolbar? As a feature more useful
than bulleted lists, or tab stops, or print preferences? It doesn't
take a rocket scientist to conduct a 10-person usability test to
determine an amicable UI and feature set.

I should know. I'm one of the leading UX and UI experts in the world.

=97 Carl Antone
0
Carl

I'd be surprised if UPS, Del Monte, or Sysco Food uses Mac as their
standard corporate desktop.  Do they?

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 19/05/10 06:21, Carl wrote:
> I may be in the minority here, but I happen to love the Ribbon UI on
> the PC version. It can collapse down to nothing when needed, and
> expand out (and even be customized I hear in 2010). That's on the PC.
> On the Mac I want a Mac-like UI. The Document Elements bar is so out
> to planet Jupiter on both functionality and as an accelerator into
> functions writers need most that it's laughable it made it into a
> release. (I'd much rather have a Mac ribbon that the Document Elements
> toolbar since at least the ribbon exposes USEFUL functions.) I mean,
> really � how many UPS or Del Monte, or Sysco Food Systems ask for WORD
> ART to always be persistent as a toolbar? As a feature more useful
> than bulleted lists, or tab stops, or print preferences? It doesn't
> take a rocket scientist to conduct a 10-person usability test to
> determine an amicable UI and feature set.
>
> I should know. I'm one of the leading UX and UI experts in the world.
>

> � Carl Antone
0
Rob
5/19/2010 5:40:01 AM
Would be wonderful if they did.

Rob Schneider wrote:
> I'd be surprised if UPS, Del Monte, or Sysco Food uses Mac as their
> standard corporate desktop.  Do they?
>

> --rms
>
> www.rmschneider.com
>

> On 19/05/10 06:21, Carl wrote:
>> I may be in the minority here, but I happen to love the Ribbon UI on
>> the PC version. It can collapse down to nothing when needed, and
>> expand out (and even be customized I hear in 2010). That's on the PC.
>> On the Mac I want a Mac-like UI. The Document Elements bar is so out
>> to planet Jupiter on both functionality and as an accelerator into
>> functions writers need most that it's laughable it made it into a
>> release. (I'd much rather have a Mac ribbon that the Document Elements=

>> toolbar since at least the ribbon exposes USEFUL functions.) I mean,
>> really =E2=80=94 how many UPS or Del Monte, or Sysco Food Systems ask =
for WORD
>> ART to always be persistent as a toolbar? As a feature more useful
>> than bulleted lists, or tab stops, or print preferences? It doesn't
>> take a rocket scientist to conduct a 10-person usability test to
>> determine an amicable UI and feature set.
>>
>> I should know. I'm one of the leading UX and UI experts in the world.
>>

>> =E2=80=94 Carl Antone

--=20
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:pjones1@kimbanet.com

0
Phillip
5/19/2010 3:12:20 PM
Hi Carl:

Yeah, you and I are in a minority :-)  The Ribbon is hiding a really good
idea in there.  Pity it is so appallingly implemented.

In Word 2010, you have the chance to properly customise the Ribbon.  That
makes a huge difference.  It still comes out of the box plastered with
inanities, but now we can delete them :-)

I just suffered a two-gig download today to get Visual Studio so I can saw
away at the ribbon to my heart's content.

Marketing never ceases to get us frothing at the mouth with the eye-candy
they put on the UI to attract the easily-impressed.  It previous versions of
Word, it was easy to get rid of the crud and put useful stuff in its place.

In Word 2007, they had the idea that they were not going to allow
customisation.  Right....  I think they sold "one" copy...  Hopefully they
have learned that lesson now...

Cheers

On 19/05/10 3:21 PM, in article
d91bd3f6-6470-436e-824e-1b00070b8ca5@y12g2000vbg.googlegroups.com, "Carl"
<carl.antone@gmail.com> wrote:

> I may be in the minority here, but I happen to love the Ribbon UI on
> the PC version. It can collapse down to nothing when needed, and
> expand out (and even be customized I hear in 2010). That's on the PC.
> On the Mac I want a Mac-like UI. The Document Elements bar is so out
> to planet Jupiter on both functionality and as an accelerator into
> functions writers need most that it's laughable it made it into a
> release. (I'd much rather have a Mac ribbon that the Document Elements
> toolbar since at least the ribbon exposes USEFUL functions.) I mean,
> really � how many UPS or Del Monte, or Sysco Food Systems ask for WORD
> ART to always be persistent as a toolbar? As a feature more useful
> than bulleted lists, or tab stops, or print preferences? It doesn't
> take a rocket scientist to conduct a 10-person usability test to
> determine an amicable UI and feature set.
>
> I should know. I'm one of the leading UX and UI experts in the world.
>

> � Carl Antone

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John_McGhie_

Embedded word doc changed to image-need to change back to word.
I have an embedded word document that misteriously changed into an image. This image is not a word doc converted into a picture (i.e. like I convert an embedded word doc by right clicking and selecting 'image object', 'covert', and then select to activate as a word doc.) but an actual image as if I inserted a picture. Need to turn the image back into a word doc so I can recover my work. It would also be nice to figure out how I am changing to an image, amost seems like a bug since it has randomly happened twice. ...

News button is missing from customize toolbars
I tried to add the News button to allow the newsgroup reader function. It was there at first. I followed the instruction that said it was hidden, and I had to move it from the Customize Toolbar menu. I went under the Go section, and found News. I moved it to the Go section of my file menu, and it was there. I opened the newsgroup reader, and started to create a usenet account. I was missing some info for my account, so I canceled out and closed the newsgroup reader and Outlook. Now when I open Outlook, the News button that I put under the Go File menu is gone, and it isn't...

Resize a document
Hello, I would like to resize a publisher document 8.5 x 11...to 7 x 9 without disrupting the layout. Any ideas? Hi Tina (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Hello, I would like to resize a publisher document 8.5 x || 11...to 7 x 9 without disrupting the layout. Any ideas? The only options really are to: 1. Create a new publication with the sizes you prefer. 2. Change the page size of your publication, then select all objects on the page, group them, then resize as a group. Items such as text and text in tables will not resize properly. You w...

AutoFormat not working in Word 2007 in Windows 7
I have just installed the Office 2007 suite on Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit edition. Almost everything works well, but I noticed that when I type quotes, Word 2007 is not automatically converting them from straight quotes to curly quotes. I have went into the Word Options and tried the setting both ways, but it makes no difference. I have made absolutely no changes to this installation, and this problem does not occur on my Windows Vista and Windows XP machines. The computer is virus-free (I have an antivirus solution running, I don't go to shady sites to begin with...

Use Money 2002 Files in Money 2008
HI, How can I convert or use my Money 2002 files in Money 2008 Trial. Thanks. -- Smith Assuming that M2002 and M2008 are both from the same geography you just install M2008, navigate to the .mny file and double click on the file name. If M2002 is non-US version, the quick answer is "you don't". :-( -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For unofficial FAQs see http://money.mvps.org/ or http://umpmfaq.info/ I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "Smith" <Smith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6962F8A...

Lost ability in MSWord to make ANY changes to ANY document
Somehow when I open a document in Word, it will not let me do anything other than open the document, print and close, everything else come up 'faded'- I can't even make changes anymore, and i've tried restoring my system to an earlier date, but nothing- Version of Word? If it's 2007 and someplace on the screen it says something about "This modification is not allowed because selection is locked", it could be that you've been using a trial version that's now expired or you haven't properly activated your full version. -- Cheers! Gor...

a document has gone in compatibility mode how do I get it back
I lost a couple of documents that I had saved and was changing the saved title and as I have said the document has gone into compatibility and I cant get it back. ...

Saving customized toolbars?
Is there a file we can back up (like Word's normal.dot and Excel's Excel.xlb) that holds Publisher's toolbars? I have Publisher 2000. Tx. There isn't a customized toolbar menu for Publisher 2000. There are a few options, but nothing important enough to backup. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "StargateFan" <IDon'tAcceptSpam@IDon'tAcceptSpam.com> wrote in message news:45akl1lh36qjejkk01st55sb709qtn5inn@4ax.com... > Is there a file we can back up (like Word's normal.dot an...

Microsoft Dynamics RMS Live Chat on August 7th, 2008
------=_NextPart_0001_74E9EEE0 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Good morning, The Microsoft Dynamics RMS team will be hosting the next Live Chat on August 7th, 2008, at 10 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time. Is there a topic that you would like to discuss in depth? Do you want additional insight into a certain area of the software? Have you always wanted to know what to do when you encounter a particular scenario? If so, we'd like to hear from you! Please feel free to post any ideas on this thread, use the link in the Live Chats section of the RMS Using site (h...

How do you search within a document?
I am woundering how you search with in a saved document. I want to make a spread sheet for my buisness on my supplies, my cost, and my mark up cost but there is over 200 so I was woundering how i can go into this saved document and just type in the item I am looking for and have it pop up with out having to scroll throu the list? The first thing you should look at is Data>Filter. It may well do everything you want. If you need more help, post back. Regards, Fred "Me2020" <Me2020@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6B20D94-EBC2-49E6-9E4F-127...

How to remove the last separator from toolbar
Hi, I need to add/remove some buttons from the toolbar depends on user settings. But after I remove the buttons, there is a separator at the end of the toolbar. Is there any way I can remove the separator? Thanks, Lucy This might seem like a stupid question, but how are you removing a button from CToolbar? AliR. <lucyh3h@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1169232478.123890.276230@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I need to add/remove some buttons from the toolbar depends on user > settings. But after I remove the buttons, there is a separator at the > end of ...

MAPI Failure message using 2007 word
-- JOHN HASKINS I keep getting this error message when I try to send a document from Word 2007 to my Outlook Email Client, which is my default email setup. I followed the recommended steps that help feature suggested, but that did not work by saving the document then closing and also closing Outlook, which was when word would restart it would start a new MAPI Session. No Go! What much I do. All other applications and software allow me to send to my email client except Office. ...

Hide Quck Parts in Word 2007
Hi, Is it possible to hide empty quick parts in word 2007? I am populating quick parts from a sharepoint list (wss 3.0) and some of the fields in this list are not rquired and the field names are showing when the metadata is empty. http://www.moss2007.be/blogs/vandest/archive/2009/12/03/configure-word-2007-content-controls-with-empty-placeholder-text.aspx ...

When printing, how do I keep a letter-sized document from expandi.
I have set up a landscape, letter-sized document in MS Pbulisher. But every time I try and print it, it expands the document to a legal-sized doc. Please help!!! Check your printer settings inside Publisher. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "godovino" <godovino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6AEC49BF-CBCA-4F05-932C-034B008D6472@microsoft.com... >I have set up a landscape, letter-sized document in MS Pbulisher. But >every > time I try and print it, it expands the document to a legal-sized doc. > > Please help!!! Could ...

How do I make the toolbar in my 'trial' of Publisher 2007 work?
nothing is active except the select all button. i can't edit or create anything. not making me want to buy the full version. thanks to anyone who has any ideas. j jives wrote: > nothing is active except the select all button. i can't edit or create > anything. not making me want to buy the full version. > thanks to anyone who has any ideas. > > j ======================= Maybe the tutorials at the following site will get you started: Publisher 2007 Creating a publication http://tinyurl.com/32ew4l -- John Inzer MS Picture It! - Digital Image MVP D...

Moving Money 2008 to new computer
I have Money Plus Deluxe 2008 on a computer. It is activated. I have the license key from Digital River. I do NOT have the original download and they won't let me redownload. I realize I'm a bad person for not saving a backup of that. I now want to upgrade from XP to Win7. Since there isn't a direct upgrade available I understand I'll need to reinstall apps. Typically not a big deal, but in this case, since I don't have installation bits this will be a problem. Am I really out of luck here? Is there any way to migrate/backup the existing Money (by copying the P...

Word attachments
I am running Windows 7 and Word 2007. I want my attachments to open in Print preview not full screen reading view. I have unchecked the box in Word Options, rebooted and resent emails with attachments to myself. However, they will not open in any other mode but full screen reading view. Any suggestions welcome. You can disable Full Screen Reading view, but you cannot force documents to open in Print Preview. If you mean Print Layout view, then you need to save them in this view; see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/SaveViewAndZoom.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (...

Can't open office documents from my emails until word is openned f
When I try to open a word document or excel spreadsheet that is saved as an attachement to an email, I get the message: Windows cannot find ‘c:/users/mona/appdata/local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet files\low\content.IE5\SB2EHHFL\xxx[1].xls\’ Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. If I open Word or Excel before clicking on the attachement to open it, then it works. This problem only happens when using my laptop which is running Windows Vista and office 2007. I do not have any problems with this on our desktop which is running XP and office 2003. Wo...

View equations created in Word 2007
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Greetings! I've successfully installed Office 2008 update 12.0.1 on my MacBook Pro running 10.5.2. One of the fixes that was listed in the Microsoft Knowledgebase article associated with the update was the ability to edit equations created in Word 2007 for Windows. After applying the update, I still get a warning message when opening a file created in Word 2007: "This file contains Word 2007 for Windows equations"; the document opens with placeholders (blank squares) instead of the equations. Does anyone el...

opening an old 1992 Word document, registry error
I tried to open a document created in 1992 but instead of opening I get a message that tells me I cannot because my registry doesn't allow it -- wrb See “Information about certain file types that are blocked after you install Office 2003 Service Pack 3” at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938810 -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Seabee74" <Seabee74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6ADC0871-2FB3-4880-9525-5EFE3C3AD3C5@microsoft.com... >I tried to open a document...

move page from one document to another
I need some "fast" help! I have never worked in Publisher before, but need to get a project done for an organization I work for. I need to take several pages from one document and paste them into another document. Both documents are already set up in Publisher. I want to basically "copy" from one document to another. HELP!! kdramirez <kdramirez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need to take several pages from one document and paste them into another >document. Both documents are already set up in Publisher. I want to >basically "copy&qu...

Inserting word 'merge field' into Excel
I have data in Word merge fields that I need to put in an Excel table. Each Word file is exactly the same and there are a few hundred files. If I can't do this direct to a spreadsheet, can I do it through Access? ...

i cant find my email documents
After installing an antivirus to my xp computer i cannot find all my past email. it gives a socket error number 10060 and an error number of 0x800CCC0E Please help "bAyai" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b3e101c4373f$9fc2fd40$a501280a@phx.gbl... > After installing an antivirus to my xp computer i cannot > find all my past email. it gives a socket error number > 10060 and an error number of 0x800CCC0E > Please help If you uninstall it, does the error go away? ...

This document does not exist for this customer or type.
If I go to Transactions->Sales->Apply Sales Documents and bring up a customer account and a specific document number, I see a few documents that that have been applied to this document. However, the original amt and the applied amt are way off for this customer. So when I do a detail historical aged trial balance I see all these document numbers that if applied to this credit would make the original amt and applied amt equal. But they are not available in the Transactions->Sales->Apply Sales Documents list. I went into the database and saw that the items not applied to t...

Standard Toolbar Customise won't hold.
OL 2000, Internet only, XP. I wonder if anyone can help me ... an MVP maybe? I have on several occasions recently painstakingly Customized my Standard Toolbar only to have it revert to its default state on closing and reopening again. Other Toolbars that I unchecked reappear. It never used to do that. What did I do? Denzil. Best to start with a new outcmd.dat file. Close Outlook, rename outcmd.dat to .old (use search and enable hidden files). Then reopen Outlook, customize the default toolbar to your liking. Close Outlook. Find and COPY the outcmd.dat file to a safe location in case ...