Converting a Microsoft Word document to a PC document

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

0
Meg_Merritt

Hi Meg:

The most important thing to do is DO NOT TELL THEM that your document was
not created on a PC.

You ARE sending "PC Format".  That's the format Word 2008 uses :-)

If you don't tell them, they can never tell: the file format used is exactly
the same on both the Mac and the PC.  There is no indication in the file of
which platform the document was made on.

When you send the file to the other system, make sure you have the correct
extension on the file name.  The extension should be .doc if you are sending
the old format, .docx if you are sending the new one.  If the extension is
wrong, the receiving system has to guess, and you can see the result!

Chances are, their system has not been updated to process the new format
(which only came out eight years ago: are you sure you want to work for an
organisation that's so far behind the times?).

So you should use Save As from Word and choose .doc format, and send that.
DON'T simply change the extension, you must use Save As, because the content
of the two file formats is completely different.

Now you need to tell us how you are up-loading the file, before we can go on
with the next bit.

But please understand: this is not a Mac problem, and it's not a "Word"
problem, this is a problem with their website doing the wrong thing,
probably because you haven't sent a file name extension.

Cheers

On 18/03/10 6:26 AM, in article 59bb56aa.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Meg_Merritt@officeformac.com" <Meg_Merritt@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I
> have created a Resume and a cover letter in Microsoft Word on a Mac to be
> uploaded to the Institute ORACLE recruitment system.
>
> When I checked how it looked, the format, the bullets and formating were blown
> apart!  I was told to convert the documents to PC format.
>
> I don't know how to do this.  I got some guidance to make them PDF files, but
> the formating still goes haywire!  How do I do the conversion on my Mac?

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John
3/17/2010 9:20:57 PM
0
Meg_Merritt
3/18/2010 11:58:03 AM
Hi Meg:

Sadly, some of these upload mechanisms manage to strip the extension from
the file name (god knows why...).

The recipient application then "guesses" � wrongly!  Some seem to still be
using the Macintosh File Type and Creator Code (which is written into the
file wherer you can't see it).  This has been deprecated by Apple, so
applications should not be using it any more.  If they DO use it, chances
are they are guessing that your file was produced by Word 5.1 for Mac!

Make CERTAIN that you put ".docx" on the file before you send it.  That
tells any modern application "Don't guess: this file contains Compressed XML
encoded in Unicode."

Then send them that, and if it doesn't work, tell them "Your system is
broken."  DON'T mention "Mac"  :-)

Cheers

On 18/03/10 10:58 PM, in article 59bb56aa.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Meg_Merritt@officeformac.com" <Meg_Merritt@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Thank you Mr. McGhie.
>
> To answer your request, I am uploading the saved file from my desktop where I
> placed the documents.  I will try this process again.
>
> I truly dislike ORACLE!  it is a complicated and bothersome system that was
> adopted by RIT years ago.  It continually has problems with Mac users here on
> campus!
>
> Thanks again!

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John

Linked graphics into a Publisher 2000 document
I have a 400KB document (withgout graphics). I insert two JPEG images each around 200KB into the document. I figure the resulting document should be around 700KB. Result? An 11MB file. I delete the images (document is now 400KB) and instead insert the images using the "Link to File" option. Graphics Manager confirms that the images are linbked into the file. The size should not be more than 500KB. Result? An 11MB file. Question is how can I insert images into a Publisher 2000 documentr without the file blowing up? And why does it blow up? Regards, Richard. Richard wrot...

how do I stop word from making decisions for me?
I do not want word to make a list just because I type in a number at the start of a sentence. I do not want word to indent my work for me because I tab each sentence at the start. How do I stop this monster from deciding what I want it to do I am in charge of the word processor but this software seems to think that it is and it is driving me crazy. http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gma...

Microsoft CRM using Firefox
Hello, Would anyone by chance know if CRM will work correctly on Firefox. Currently, I have employees that are using Firefox and are encountering the same issue as IE [Internet Explorer bombs out and states that it has encountered problems...]. I am just having employees use IE to prevent problem. Thank you for your comments in advance. Install a Firefox extension called IETab "Marcos" <Marcos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19B93E29-757D-46FF-B747-A17EB112ED94@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > Would anyone by chance know if CRM will work cor...

Creating a Microsoft Words document from an existing Excel spreads
Hi all, I need your kind guidance on how to create a new microsoft words document using an existing excel spreadsheet? At present, I have an excel spreadsheet, say "data.xls" containing data for example 6 fields such as COMPANY NAME, DATE, ITEM1, ITEM2, ITEM,3 & QUOTATION TOTAL. Under these 6 fields are some records of my customers. COMPANY NM DATE ITEM1 ITEM2 ITEM3 QUOTATION TTL ---------------- ------- -------- ------- -------- ------------------- ABC Limited 3 Apr xxxxx xxxxx ...

in excel how can we put formula to convert numericalfigureto word
for example : in excel i have mention 25000.00 in numerical amount , i want to know how can i convert in next colum , about word ?/; How can i put formula to make the numerical in to words like 25000 in numerical to twenty five thousands in word. There is no direct functions to convert this. For a VBA solution check out the below links http://support.microsoft.com/kb/213360 http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/ValueToWords.htm http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "excel" wrote: > for example : > > in excel i hav...

Microsoft Outlook 2002 #3
How can I allow Level 1 files into Outlook 2002, I keep getting the following message "Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments" Thanks, Stephen Some options here http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm "spike" <stephen@just4u.ie> wrote in message news:090201c35c10$19100be0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How can I allow Level 1 files into Outlook 2002, I keep > getting the following message "Outlook blocked access to > the following potentially unsafe attachments" > > Thanks, > > Stephen ...

Incorrect Office Updates in Microsoft Update
Hello I recently did clean installs of XP and Win7 on 2 different PCs. Each PC was loaded with Office 2007. When I ran Microsoft Update after the Office installs, it shows I needed Office 2007 SP1, not SP2. I manually downloaded and installed Office 2007 SP2 and then checked Windows Updates for any needed patches. It still showed I needed Office 2007 SP1...even though I just installed SP2. Does anyone know how to 1) have Office SP2 show up as a needed update instead of SP1, and 2) how to configure Windows Update to show that no SP is needed after SP2 is installed? th...

Microsoft Money 2007 Deluxe Canadian version?
I have been looking for Microsoft Money 2007 Deluxe Canadian version and I cannot find it. Where can I get one? There isn't one. See http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/422.aspx -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "masai" <masai_chadi@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:op.tm81u5pvdvcnul@dikutoto.gv.shawcable.net... >I have been looking for Microsoft Money 2007 Deluxe Canadian version and I >ca...

Embedding worksheet into Word
Has anyone had the experience where when they embed a worksheet into Microsoft Word, a portion of the worksheet gets cut off? Is there an easy fix to this? ...

How can I convert a timeline to be vertically oriented?
How can I convert a timeline to be vertically oriented? Microsoft says it's possible on a few web pages but I can't find instructions. Which version of Visio are you using? Randall Arnold "Sherry" <nowhere@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ut%23cPHX1DHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > How can I convert a timeline to be vertically oriented? Microsoft says it's > possible on a few web pages but I can't find instructions. > > Visio 2000 "Randall Arnold" <rgarnold@cathartis.com_> wrote in message news:#pEeMyY1DHA.1272@TK2MSFTNG...

Check correction patch for Microsoft Windows
--jgfiyombh Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="kgqnlddpakhbjo"; type="multipart/alternative" --kgqnlddpakhbjo Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="pdizbrrdstws" --pdizbrrdstws Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to maintain the securit...

Junk "Microsoft" emails - Possible Partial Solution
Like a lot of people on these forums, I've been bombarded with virused / junk email from "Microsoft" , "MS" etc. I can telnet to my www provider and use Pine set up a rule to delete all emails where the sender is "Microsoft", and this would help a lot. The problem is the "Deleting" is not the same in Pine as "Expunging", so, in the end, my Outlook winds up downloading the Deleted messages. The tech support there does not have an answer for this one. Is there a way in Pine to set up a rule to "Expunge" rather than "Delete&...

Send from Word
When I hit the send button in Word or Excell I get a pop up that say choose profile with Outlook in the drop down. That is the only name in the drop down. If I hit OK I get the following Message. The MAPI Spooler could not be started. Close and then restartall mail-enabled applications.MAPI 103 (0000004C7) If I choose to set up a new profile I get a Microsoft Exchange Setup Wizard. As I try to setup a new profile I come to the following, The following unrecoverable error has occured: The .DLL file for this service is either damaged or could not be found. Any ideas? Doug, What versi...

Nested Styles in Word 2003?
Is it possible to create a nested style in Word 2003? An example would be to make the first sentence of a paragraph Body Text bold but the rest of the paragraph plain Body Text. I have used this type of style with Adobe InDesign but haven't found a way to make it work in Word. It's not a big issue for me as I have used character formatting over the Body Text style where appropriate but I am curious. Word can do this, but not with "nested styles" (there is no such concept in Word). Instead, there is a way to apply a style to only part of a paragraph. See http://...

mail merge with word 2007 and a riso
I'm having problems trying to mail merge a word 2007 document with a riso. all goes well and I can preview all the documents and all looks good until I try to finish and print it on a riso, and nothing happens. It works on word 2003 but not the new version. can anyone help? Can you merge to a new document? If so, try using the following macro from fellow MVP Doug Robbins to split that document to the printer as separate jobs Sub SplitMergeLetterToPrinter() ' splitter Macro ' Macro created 16-08-98 by Doug Robbins to print each letter created by a ' mailmerge...

Unable to repy using word editor
When repyling to an e-mail I receive the following message, "This form requires Word as your e-mail editor, but Word is either busy, or cannot be found. The form will be opened in the Outlook editor instead". I found article 284900, that states you may get this message when you have office 2000 and office xp installed on the same computer. This is not the case on my computer, Office 2000 does not exist, only office xp. Can anyone help me? There appear to be a whole host of causes for this error message. Most have no solution. Here are a few that do: http://support.microsoft...

what is the name of a sub form download from microsoft website
i need to add a sub form to a form created in access. i tried to start the wizard but the feature is not currently installed. i try to install but it is looking for a disk for me to insert. i do not have a disk to insert. can i go to microsoft website and download the sub form feature for access? if yes, what is the name of the download. Are you sure it is not installed? Open your main form in design view. Click the Toolbox button in the menu at the top. There are two buttons at the top of the Toolbox, an Arrow and a wand. Is the Wand highlighted. If not, click on it then click on th...

convert text in excel to uppercase
Is it possible to convert all text in a workbook or on a spreadsheet to all uppercase? In VBA Editor Sub MakeUpper() Dim MySht As Worksheet, MyCell As Range For Each MySht In ThisWorkbook.Sheets For Each MyCell In MySht.UsedRange.Cells MyCell = UCase(MyCell) Next Next End Sub "elaine" wrote: > Is it possible to convert all text in a workbook or on a spreadsheet to all > uppercase? Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/case.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "elaine" <elaine@discussions.microsoft.com> s...

I can no longer convert my files to pdf

Move pages from document to document?

How do I break a large word document into smaller components?
I have a very large Word document (over 40 MB) that I update several times a year. I would like to break it into smaller components so that only the affected component would have to be backed up online. However, I still wish to maintain the ability to create a table of contents and index for the whole document. Is this possible and if so, what is the process to do it. I am using MS Office 2010 beta running MS Windows 7 Home Premium on a 64 bit Dell desktop. Hi RoadRoy, You can simply make multiple copies and delete whatever you don't want from each copy. For the mul...

converting FILETIME into two DWORDS
Hi, i want to extract date and time from a FILETIME structure into two dwords. So that the two dwords contain the date and time info in the same way in which NTFS store the file creation, modification and access date. Thanks. ...