Converting a Microsoft Word document to a PC document

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

0
Meg_Merritt

Hi Meg:

The most important thing to do is DO NOT TELL THEM that your document was
not created on a PC.

You ARE sending "PC Format".  That's the format Word 2008 uses :-)

If you don't tell them, they can never tell: the file format used is exactly
the same on both the Mac and the PC.  There is no indication in the file of
which platform the document was made on.

When you send the file to the other system, make sure you have the correct
extension on the file name.  The extension should be .doc if you are sending
the old format, .docx if you are sending the new one.  If the extension is
wrong, the receiving system has to guess, and you can see the result!

Chances are, their system has not been updated to process the new format
(which only came out eight years ago: are you sure you want to work for an
organisation that's so far behind the times?).

So you should use Save As from Word and choose .doc format, and send that.
DON'T simply change the extension, you must use Save As, because the content
of the two file formats is completely different.

Now you need to tell us how you are up-loading the file, before we can go on
with the next bit.

But please understand: this is not a Mac problem, and it's not a "Word"
problem, this is a problem with their website doing the wrong thing,
probably because you haven't sent a file name extension.

Cheers

On 18/03/10 6:26 AM, in article 59bb56aa.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Meg_Merritt@officeformac.com" <Meg_Merritt@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I
> have created a Resume and a cover letter in Microsoft Word on a Mac to be
> uploaded to the Institute ORACLE recruitment system.
>
> When I checked how it looked, the format, the bullets and formating were blown
> apart!  I was told to convert the documents to PC format.
>
> I don't know how to do this.  I got some guidance to make them PDF files, but
> the formating still goes haywire!  How do I do the conversion on my Mac?

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John
3/17/2010 9:20:57 PM
0
Meg_Merritt
3/18/2010 11:58:03 AM
Hi Meg:

Sadly, some of these upload mechanisms manage to strip the extension from
the file name (god knows why...).

The recipient application then "guesses" � wrongly!  Some seem to still be
using the Macintosh File Type and Creator Code (which is written into the
file wherer you can't see it).  This has been deprecated by Apple, so
applications should not be using it any more.  If they DO use it, chances
are they are guessing that your file was produced by Word 5.1 for Mac!

Make CERTAIN that you put ".docx" on the file before you send it.  That
tells any modern application "Don't guess: this file contains Compressed XML
encoded in Unicode."

Then send them that, and if it doesn't work, tell them "Your system is
broken."  DON'T mention "Mac"  :-)

Cheers

On 18/03/10 10:58 PM, in article 59bb56aa.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"Meg_Merritt@officeformac.com" <Meg_Merritt@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Thank you Mr. McGhie.
>
> To answer your request, I am uploading the saved file from my desktop where I
> placed the documents.  I will try this process again.
>
> I truly dislike ORACLE!  it is a complicated and bothersome system that was
> adopted by RIT years ago.  It continually has problems with Mac users here on
> campus!
>
> Thanks again!

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd

John

Where is the Keep Text Formatting feature located in Word 07
I believe this Keep Text Formatting feature might be what I need, but I have been unable to locate exactly where it is located in Word 2007. I'm trying to rid a Word document sent to me of tables, text boxes, graphics and all other document formatting, while retaining the document's text content. It is unimportant to me whether the text formatting is retained or not. Thanks. Are you referring to a Keep Text Formatting feature in an earlier version of Word? I wonder whether what you're looking for is "Paste Unformatted," since you seem to be saying you _don...

Miscellaneous words appear in Excel 2002 cells
I am working on an Excell 2002 workbook and when I put my cursor in a cell , spurious words get entered into the cell e.g. "and thee the and ...." is one example. I have cable modem and it feels like "someone" has taken control of my PC - by the way I have also noticed this hapening in MS Word but is not as bad as Excel - can some one help. thanks KK Have you enabled speech tools? Click Tools / Speech and examine your options. /i. "KK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:061d01c39d1c$36fc85f0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I am w...

"Configuring Microsoft Office Basic 2007" every time I start
I added memory to my PC and Office 2003 started to misbehave (and it could not find a CAB file that was on the CD) so I removed it and upgraded to Office 2007. Now every time I start my PC it spends time configuring itself. I might add iTunes is the same. It means starting the PC is an even more laborious process than usual. Oh, and I have some annoying update to XML something or other that does not install either, and does not go away. It is ironic that the extra memory was to improve perforamnce. Every step forwards involves two steps back. Apart from swapping to App...

Interested in Microsoft CRM
My company is a Financial Services company that is interested in implementing MS CRM. This would initially be done for the Investment Advisory portion of our business and later implemented for the rest of the organization. Are there any MS CRM customers/clients in the Investment Advisory business that can comment on their deployment of MS CRM and there overall experience as far as usage of this solution? Also, can you comment on whether the solution was useful without customization or was there customization to the product. If there was customization, then how much (% amount) and wh...

Excel and Word #2
I converted a class schedule from Word to Excel in order to better work with formulas since I am terrible with math. My concern now is that I will want to email it back to volunteers for review. Can I just copy it into Word and will they be able to view it or will they have to have Excel? Thanks for information. Susan Hello Susan, A copy/paste command will create a Word table in Word from Excel. you could also do the following: Insert, object, From file, browse to the Excel file, Insert. With this method you can check "link" and from now on everytime you change something...

Word 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have created several files in Word 2008 using templates (.dot) files previously used with Word 2003/2007. Unfortunately, my customer keeps receiving an error when opening the new file I create. The new file (created in .doc format) has some hidden data that is pointing to the template folder on my Mac. The error looks like: Could not open: 'user:Libarary:Application Support:Microsoft:Offce:User Templates:template.dot My customer can fix this error by using the remove hidden data tool inside Office 2003, but that&...

converting dates
Hi All I have a couple of excel problems to do with dates (Excel XP/2002). I have a formula that displays one date minus another and displays the answer as the number of days. Firstly, is it possible to convert the data to display as year and days (375 displays as 1 year and 10 days) as it displays as a decimal point when I divide by 365. Secondly does anyone know a formula that sorts out leap years (see above). Any help, suggestions or tutorial links greatly appreciated Rexmann As long as you assume 1 year is always 365 days =INT(A1/365)&" year(s) "&MOD(A1,365)&&q...

can't get pc to hibernate
I have windows XP sp2, Sometimes in hibernation mode the shut down process gets as far as "preparing to hibernate" and then the screen freezes. I then have to use the on-off button to close the pc. Can anyone help in rectifying this problem? I can copy the system information details to here if that will help. -- laurence withau Laurence, check out this Excellent Shutdown Troubleshooter http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php "laurence withau" <laurencewithau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E97F9CA4-E8BA-41D3-81...

I can't see anything in my inbox for my pocket PC 2003
Active sync shows message counts going up and down as it syncronizes with Active Sync, but I cannot see any messages to display. Cold restart will show messages, but when I restore from backup, they do not display. I must have set something. Lee Torian <Lee Torian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Active sync shows message counts going up and down as it syncronizes > with Active Sync, but I cannot see any messages to display. Cold > restart will show messages, but when I restore from backup, they do > not display. I must have set something. A better place for this...

Size of single bracket in Equation (Word 2007)
Hi group, I'd like to change the size of a single bracket in an equation - how can I achieve this? For example, in Latex I could do something like this: F\biggr|_{a} , where biggrl gives me a large sized "|" ... Cheers -Ralf as a work-around I came up with a trick: I used a single Matrix column with 3 rows - inserted the single "|" on the right-hand side - I put the actual equation in the centre of the matrix field and the other matrix fields I left empty ... the result looks pleasing Cheers -Ralf On Feb 1, 1:15=A0pm, "ralf.schaa" ...

Is there any way to convert a pdf document into an excel document.
Is there any way to convert a pdf file into an excel document? ...

Amount in Words Complete Right Formula
give me complete formula See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace xxxx in the email address with gmail if mailing direct) "Naveed" <Naveed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29B7C0D6-1DED-4321-B1EB-CA6DDCE73852@microsoft.com... > give me complete formula > ...

How do you open PDF files with Word 2007?
How do you open a PDF file in Word 2007? anybody? I tried to download the PDF add on app but that is not working either. I have on line classes I cant complete until I figure out how to do this. You can't open pdf's in Word -- that's the point of pdf files. On Feb 10, 3:06=A0pm, terrycwilson <terrycwil...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do you open a PDF file in Word 2007? anybody? I tried to download the= PDF > add on app but that is not working either. I have on line classes I cant > complete until I figure out how to do this. You can'...

Office2003 autoformats my ENTIRE document, and the file size is HU
Hi everyone I have recently ungraded to Office2003. It's great, with the exception of a problem i appear to be having with Word. I have a 22 page doc, that started out at a mere 100K. Everytime i try and make a style change (increase font, bold, align, add bullets) word then applied that new style to my ENTIRE document, ie: adding a bullet to one line, adds a bullet to every single line in my doc. Every line in the doc gets reformated. If i then go ctrl-z to undo the applied style, all the incorrectly applied styles all correctly removed, and i am left with just my one style - ...

How do I create an A3 size document using Windows 7
A3 is not listed in the pre-set schedule of document sizes in Windows 7 (unlike previous versions of Windows). How do I create such a document using Windows 7? Does your printer support A3? Word/Windows will display the paper sizes supported by the default (or currently active) printer. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "A3 documents in Windows 7" <A3 documents in Windows 7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F2647F06-5560-41A6-9C2F-462E6198C989@microsoft.com... > A3 is ...

MS Word file extension changed through e-mail
MS Word .docx files sent as attachments are received without the x, as a .doc instead. The same is true for MS Excel .xlsx changed to .xls Speak firmly to whoever set up the email system. They have not applied their updates. When the file goes through, it is being recognised as a Microsoft Word file, but the extension is being wrongly changed. Some free-mail web services have a bad habit of doing this. It's not a Word problem, the change is being made either by the sending email program or the receiving email program. Cheers On 24/02/10 2:32 PM, in article 2e082f5...

microsoft home publishing
i tried to get to a home publishing site, no luck.....i have had this program since 2000, i tried to load it in a hp computer w/ windows xp, when it['s done and i try to open it tells me one or more parts are missing or broken and then i click on help and it says the wmf grafics filter is missing....is there a fix? how about a web site to down load this software? joanne wrote: > i tried to get to a home publishing site, no luck.....i > have had this program since 2000, i tried to load it in a > hp computer w/ windows xp, when it's done and i try to > open it tells me...

nonsense in microsoft .pst import attempt
Hello all, I have done 2 hours research on this topic but no one seems to have covered my exact dillema. This week I reformmatted my hard drive (with win 98) and reloaded all of my factory settings) you know...clean slate. Before shutting down I backed up all important data. Among those files a .pst that had all of my Outlook Express (v6) settings was saved too. Now with this fresh install the OE program won't allow me to load the very .pst file it created on my previous install. I see that people claim OE doesnt understand .pst files. THEN--- #1. how do I get my old settings and emai...

How do I create 4 smaller documents on an 8X11 (gang)?
I have a doc that's currently 8X11; how do I replicate the document at 1/4 scale and gang it four times on the page? Open file, Resize the page area to 4�"x5�". Make everything fit and the way you like it. Now when you print the file you will get 4 copies per sheet. -- Don ------ Vancouver, USA "WhidbeyJack" <WhidbeyJack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FCAAE5CA-9E36-4C2F-923C-66C5F5DA527B@microsoft.com... >I have a doc that's currently 8X11; how do I replicate the document at 1/4 > scale and gang it four times on the page? ...

Saving documents to MS CRM from eg Word?
Hi, Is there any solution out there (market ready) that lets you save eg Word document direct to MS CRM ?. Not save to file system and then from MS CRM make a note and attach. To long way ! Regards, SH Hi Siggi, have a look at "RelatedDocuments" at www.mscrm-addons.com "Siggi" <sh@nyherji.is> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:64f91fda.0501190239.1156de03@posting.google.com... > Hi, > Is there any solution out there (market ready) that lets you save eg > Word document direct to MS CRM ?. Not save to file system and then > from MS CRM make a note and attach. ...

Excel compatible with Microsoft Works
Is Excel 2000 compatible with Microsoft Works Spreadsheet? Thanks! Hi Debbie, Excel (XL2000 and all other versions) cannot open a Works spreadsheet file nor can it save a file in that format. Works can open an XLS file; you need to select the XLS in the File Type box of the File Open dialog. BUT: Works has far less functionality that Excel so unless the XLS file is very simple a lot of 'stuff' will be lost. Works it can save a file in that format; use File SaveAs as specify XLS as the file type. Hope this is clear and of some help to you. -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/blieng...

Call a word doc
Currently I am using our DB to track bids to general contractors for building materials. Each bid proposal is prepared in MS Word. Is there a way to call a Word doc for reference only within a form, for example using a button? The proposal could be either a .doc or .pdf that could be reprinted or viewed from Access... -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200802/1 Whoops, that was not complete. Each bid has its own word file. So when I click a button I need to be able to define the file name. We use a bid number formatted l...

How do I copy the wording of a cell into a tab?
I have a large workbook with the tab titles available to copy to save typing every single one, is it possible to populate the tabs by a form of copy-paste You want your sheet tab name to reflect the value of a particular cell within that sheet? You want to copy a sheet and rename the copy to the value of a cell within that sheet? Please explain in more detail. The lack of sentence structure makes it difficult to get a clear picture. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:18:01 -0800, Jamie <Jamie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a large wo...

Ask outlook in microsoft office 2003
Is it more convenient function that which are there to ask outlook in microsoft office 2003 edition? I seldom read the letter and follow and send a letter with outlook, all have the browser and help me to join mails and follow and send a letter directly, Have lesson teachers of computers to teach a lot of, which outlooks functions are very well that I am not clear very much to have, the person knowing tells me, please. ...

Microsoft exam suggestion ?
iam going to study for Microsoft exam and plan to sit for it asap . my friends are suggesting me certmagic.com exams . anyone tried them . how good are their exams , are they close to real exams ...