Common problem--margins wrong on printed pages

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

0
jd_wright

That's generally a sign that the paper in the printer is not the size
specified in Page setup for the document.

It could also mean the document contains unresolved tracked changes and you
have specified "Use balloons" in tracked changes.

Since both of these are "user" settings, a "straight" answer might make some
comment about the user who made those settings: are you sure you want that?
:-)

Cheers

On 6/02/10 10:57 AM, in article 59bb2572.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"jd_wright@officeformac.com" <jd_wright@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I've seen this problem a lot, so I'm sorry to add to the din, but no one seems
> to have given a straight AND workable answer yet.
>
> My document's margins are set at 1" on each side.  Print preview shows the
> document looking fine.  But when I print, the bottom margin looks like it's
> about 0.5", the right margin is about 1.25", and the left margin is about
> 0.75".
>
> Please don't tell me to update Office, OSX, and my printer--that has already
> been done.  Just tell me how to fix this problem.
>
> If the best advice I can get is that I should just play with the margin
> settings in my document until the printed page looks right, then Word 2008 is
> an even bigger piece of **** than I thought.

matters unless you intend to pay!

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
2/7/2010 2:29:39 AM
0
jd_wright
2/7/2010 4:15:07 AM
Hi D:

Ah!  Converted from WordPerfect :-)

It is widely known that the conversion from WordPerfect to Word is, shall we
say, "less than exact".  So quite a lot of the Word user population would
expect problems.

That is the first time I have heard it change the paper size...  But in
WordPerfect, the paper size can be encoded in multiple places in the file,
often in obscure ways.  It's a bit of a guessing game to decide which is the
"current" setting that should be used.  So it would not astonish me to hear
that a converter guessed wrongly.

The difference between a WordPerfect document and a Word document is the
difference between a boat and a truck.  They are both forms of transport,
but other than that there are few similarities.  Essentially they describe a
document using an entirely different object model.  So converting from one
to the other is extremely complex and not entirely scientific: there is also
an art form involved: you have to guess what the user's intention was, in
order to express it correctly in Word

I guess the bottom line is "A converted WordPerfect document will always
have some problems or strange settings in Word."

Hope this helps

On 7/02/10 12:15 PM, in article 59bb2572.1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0,
"jd_wright@officeformac.com" <jd_wright@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Aside from the bit of snideness, that was actually very helpful.
>
> The page was set up for A4 rather than 8.5" x 11".
>
> But I'm not an idiot.  I would never set up an 8.5" x 11" document for an A4
> page.  The document was originally created in WordPerfect and then converted
> into Word format.
>
> Who would ever think that Word would change the page size or paper type during
> that process?

matters unless you intend to pay!

McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. | Ph: +61 (0)4 1209 1410
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
John
2/7/2010 11:10:10 AM
Very helpful indeed.  Thanks!
0
jd_wright

.rc files problem
Hello, I face some problem with .rc files in my project. Whenever I attempt to change the .rc files through IDE then the file gets totally altered despite the change being very small. It inserts some version information along with some other stuff like word 'DISCARDABLE' ( at n number of places) in the file. I change it in Microsoft Developement Environment 2003, version 7.1.3088. When I try to build the project with this changed resource, I get the error below, "fatal error CVT1100: duplicate resource . type: VERSION, name:1 , language: 0x0409 " "fatal error LNK1123: ...

Problems with MSG files
My organisation is currently running a mixed environment of Office 2000 and Office 2003. I have a user with Office 2000 who is trying to open msg files saved to a network share (i.e. in file system, not in Outlook) by a user with Office 2003. When she double clicks to open these files she gets the message 'Unable to Read Item'. We can get around this by right clicking on the msg file in the file system, choosing Send To Mail Recipient and then double clicking the msg attachment place in the new mail message. Can anyone let me know the cause of the problem and whether there is a solu...

Exchange 5.5 SMTP Relay problem #3
I had a server that was being used as a relay. I completed the following steps: 1) Rerouted incoming SMTP for inbound on domain 2) Checked hosts and clients that successfully authenticate box 3) Checked hosts and clients with these IP addresses box and left the IP address box blank. 4) Ran a telnet session to the mail server and verified that I got a 550 relaying is prohibited response. 5) I renamed the \exchsrvr\imcdata\out folder and created a new one to clear out any pending messages and re-started the IMS service. All the clients are able to send and receive mai...

borders don't appear in print preview?
Hi, I'm using Excel 2003 and I have a spreadsheet which I have set up so that 'gridlines', 'black and white' and 'draft' are unchecked. The cells where information is to be entered have black borders. When I select print preview, most of the cells are fine but there are 5 rows where the borders aren't showing at all. They're not even together, they're throughout the spreadsheet! I've tried manually drawing each border, I've tried changing the colour but it doesn't seem to work. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in ad...

Can there be a header on the first page, but not on the subsequen.
I need to connect several sheets together lengthwise, so I don't want the footer on all the sheets. Is there a way to have it on one sheet, but not the others? Is it possible to have it only on the third sheet, for instance? Thanks- Karen Print those sheets separately & change the page setups. :-( "glaserk" <glaserk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94570E38-0F74-4324-8708-DC14CCAA15F4@microsoft.com... > I need to connect several sheets together lengthwise, so I don't want the > footer on all the sheets. Is there a way to have it on one s...

can i print the training presentations?
Can someone tell me how to print the pages of the training courses like excel?? When i used print all it did was print the top and last line on eacg page but not the info in between?? Is it possible to print it?? Thank you ...

Sent from common group account.
Hi All, I have an issue i could really do with some help on if anyone can assist it would be very much appreaciated. I need to have mail messages sent from and received in to a group account. Eg:(Accounts@mydomain.com) Currently i have set up the users general mail account and also the group account (which has restrictions applied to it, eg standard users are unable to delete messages contacts calander items etc.) However whenever a user creates a message it automatically defaults to their standard account address (username@mydomain.com) instead of the Group account address. I have tri...

Publisher 2003 Page Setup menu not found
I am trying to print a number 10 envelope. Anything past 8.5 inches does not print. I tried to change the paper size but cannot find Page Setup setup on the File menu. Can someone explain what is happening here. The File menu includes: New Open Close Import Word Document Save Save As File Search Convert to Web Pulication Print Preview Print Send E-mail Properties Menu FILE > 12th item down PAGE SETUP!!! The sizes and limitation there are an issue of your printer, not Publisher. Publisher gets all that information from the printer driver. -- "If you don't know where you a...

how can you print only odd or even pages on a DJ 1220c
I know I did it before and know I can't find it. I am trying to print on both sides of the paper by printing first odds and then even pages. I am using excel 2000 in windows xp Hi Curtisgriffin Use this macro http://www.rondebruin.nl/print.htm#odd -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Curtisgriffin" <Curtisgriffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6B9664B-F438-44C5-BBE4-1588849EDC35@microsoft.com... >I know I did it before and know I can't find it. I am trying to print on > both sides of the paper by printing first odds an...

Printing problem in excel
Hello, I have a excel file which is formatted in such a way that 1:1 print matches the physical labels.( We have adjusted the height & width of cells.) Now my problem is when we print this excel from two different machines, prints are different, even though it is printed on same printer. My doubt is that it is related to aspect ratio/ screen resolution. When we print it from a machine with 17" square ( regular ) monitor prints are okay, but when we print is from machines with wide monitors prints are off. Can this happen? or am I missing something. Thanks in Advan...

Security problem
I have a problem can't seem to figure out. I am an admin, and I'm having some security issues with the our exchange 2003 server only. I have no problems with our Primary Domain Controller (w2k3 std) or our gateway server running ISA 2004 (w2k3 Std). From my XP workstation, if i try to remotely manage the Exchange server (via right click 'my computer'->manage->Action->connect to another computer) the mmc console comes up but if I try to review the event logs, or access the services list, or anything for that matter... I get an access denied error. If I remote desktop...

Email pivot table report page.
Is it possible to email only one page from my pivot table? Say I have a report on sales rep as page field and I want to email only his page to him. Is it possible to email that page to the respective sale rep? ...

Date Format Problem
Hello All, I am using Windows XP/Office 2003 and have the following problems: I am making an attendance sheet where in Cell C4 is having value (01/09/2005) showing Sep-2005 (formatted as mm-yyyy) >From A5 downwards I wish to have the following A5 : 9-1 Thursday A6 : 9-2 Friday A7 : 9-3 Saturday I have entered the following formula in A5 =MONTH(C4)&-DAY(C4)&TEXT(C4,"DDDD") which gives me the desired result as 9-1 Thursday. My problem is when I drag it down it shows me values which I don't want...How can I drag and just have Day and the Weekday incremented as foll...

Problems with 11.4.0 updates
I have tried several times to update Office 2004 with the 11.4.0 updates. Each time, I get as far as a screen that tells me that the program is "searching for programs to update." The rainbow disk spins forever, and I finally when I go to force quit the update, I am told it is not responsive. For what it is worth, I have upgraded to Leopard and use Firefox. I would appreciate any thoughts! Don On 2/20/08 11:45 AM, in article ee8e2c0.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "deleomeyer@officeformac.com" <deleomeyer@officeformac.com> wrote: > I have tried several times to upd...

remote user cannot connect to OWA
He gets past the first username/password screen to the yellow login screen. However once he gets the second login/password box his password does not get accepted. I checked the event log on the exchange server and there is a 529 Unknown username or bad password but he insists that he typed it in correctly. What else could be causing this problem? I have an exchange 5.5 server running on windows 2000 server. ...

Hosted MS CRM SignIn ISA Problem
Hi, when I internal login to "https://company1.crm123.com" then I can normally logon to signin.aspx and will be forwarded to loader.aspx But I cant logon external via our ISA Server to that website. The signin.aspx is loaded but after the authentication is checked the signin.aspx will displayed again. The forwarding to the loader.aspx page does not take place. We have already tried all possible settings on the isa servers. Has anybody an idea to solve the problem? Many thanks Best regards Kachte hi, did anybody find any solution for this in the meantime? thanks in advance, fritz...

Concatenating pages
I have 8 separate publisher files, each a single page of a newsletter. (No I didn't make them--the author is too stubborn to do the entire newsletter in one file.) Is there a slick way to make these into one PUB file of 8 pages? TYIA Matt The blindingly obvious springs to mind! :-) why not make a new document with the number of blank pages you need, then just cut & paste from the 8 singles to the pages in your new doc? I know you said "slick" but it shouldn't take more than a minute or two. -- Best Regards, Bill Frost. Liverpool. U.K. (Outgoing mail Virus checked...

Page numbers #8
I am making a book that I need to start the page numbers over at one in the middle of the book. I inserted a section and in the page numbering section I selected to start at page 67 in 1,2,3 format but it kept numbering them from the previous section. Is there a way to start over the page numbers? Insert section, check Begin a section with this page, check, show footers and headers, tick start at: 67, okay... Insert "page number." -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Melisa" <Melisa@discussions....

outlook home page hyperlink
When clicked on a hyperlink, to an excel file, on a home page(public folders) its open in outlook. I'd like to open the file in excel when clicked. Can this be done. (oulook 2000) txs ...

system manager and exadmin.dll problem
For a while now I can not open exchange system manager. Every time I do I get an error message and info is sent to Microsoft. AppName: exadmin.dll AppVer: 6.5.7226.0 AppStamp:406d1e32 ModName: kernel32.dll ModVer: 5.2.3790.1830 ModStamp:424377d2 fDebug: 0 Offset: 00015dea Strange thing is if I reinstall the exchange service pack it will work for a while then go back to not working. There are some days I really hate Microsoft for their buggy pile of un user friendly crap.... Can you tell us if you are running this buggy pile of un-user friendly crap System Man...

what stops a document from printing when printer ok?
I have a document that appears to be ok and I can send it to our printer but it will not print. If I try and manually feed the document the first page only goes through and this is blank. Document is 'within printable margins' and I cannot see anything wrong with it. I can send other documents to the printer - it is only one document I have a problem with HELP!!!! Is the text formatted as hidden? Is the text in a text box and you do not have the print drawings option selected? Does it display in print preview? -- <>>< ><<> ><<...

Problem: Cant make payment to one particular payee.
Microsoft money 2004 crashes whic I try to make a register entry to a particular payee.....When I delete it (via the checkbook balance screen) it causes a message "that operation cannot be performed" message. Everything still "works" after the crash....I just don't dare click on the particular payee field..... Also archiving does not remove old entries?? [separate problem???] Repair of file function was no help, nor was uninstalling and reinstalling . If you create a new payee, are you able to manually move any of the existing transactions to the new p...

Common problem-can't find a solution
I have that common problem with Windows Mail in Vista Premium which began out of the blue recently -- I try to open email, nothing happens, then I get this error: "Windows Mail cannot be started...mail message store cannot be opened...is currently being used by another program such as a virus scanner...(0x800C0155,2) -- MSOE.dll cannot be initialized. Having read hundreds of threads about this problem, uninstalled every type of malware/virus protection I have, restored the system, and, paraphrasing some suggestions, danced a rain dance holding my crotch, but nothing work...

Problem creating export spec
Hello All I need to create an export specification for use in a TranserText macro action. I initially did this by opening a query in datasheet view, then doing File>Export, then clicking the Save All button: this then bring up the Export Text wizard screen, where I can click the Advanced button to show the Export Specification edit/save screen. This seemed to work fine, until I came to use the saved Export Specification in the macro, when I got a message that "the data being exported does not match the format described in the scheme.ini file". Guessing that this may be b...

2nd Attempt
I have recently been having difficulties with sending emails. When I make a reply and hit send the email saves to the outbox but does so in bold normal type and refuses to send. Sometimes if I make a new msg, copy by pasting everything and then save, the email saves to outbox in italics. This is "normal" I believe. The email goes out OK then. This seems to have started spontaneously. Anyone know what is happening and why. Perhaps more importantly how do I fix it? -- Jerry ...